Page 1


Welcome A very warm welcome to Edge Hill University. You are about to start an exciting new chapter in your life, at the end of which you will graduate with a degree to put you on the right track for your career. To help you make the most of your time with us we’ve put together this handbook, full of useful information. The contents have been split into the following sections: Edge Hill University Information about the Edge Hill University campus, as well as the services and facilities available within it. Living in the UK All you need to know about life in the UK, including information about mobile phones, banking, health care, working in the UK and much more. Ormskirk, Liverpool and the Region Full of valuable information about the town and surrounding area, this section provides details of shop opening times, banks and the local market. Travel in the UK and Europe Useful travel information about venturing further afield. If you use this handbook in conjunction with the following documents you will have all the information you need: • • • • •

Student Support Handbook and Regulations University Policies, Procedures and Information Undergraduate Degree Framework Handbook Postgraduate Taught Degree Framework Handbook Programme Handbooks and Module Handbooks for your course

Edge Hill University

Contents 1. Centre for International Education and Useful Numbers

2. Essential Information: Security on Campus, Medical Matters, Police and Emergency Services and Facilities Management Helpdesk. 3. Campus Facilities – Support and Social 4. Food and Drink

5. Accommodation 6. Phone Calls

7. Sports Facilities 8. Green Travel

9. Students’ Union

Centre for International Education and Useful Numbers The Centre for International Education is your first point of contact for anything to do with:

• • • •

English language support Immigration advice Advice regarding travelling in the UK Requests for letters not produced by Academic Registry

We have a range of leaflets and information about many different aspects of studying and living in the UK, and also hold copies of useful forms, such as police registration forms.

Please visit the Centre at any time if you have a general question or simply do not know where to go for help. We are always happy to point you in the right direction or even just have a chat if you are feeling homesick.

The Centre is based in Stanley Hall, Room 10 (SH on your campus map) and is open from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday. This is the main location for international recruitment and support services on campus. The following staff are all based in the Centre for International Education:

Dr. Iona Huang Director, Centre for International Education

Dr. Louise Davies Head of International Operations

Gemma Smith Head of International Recruitment

Kate Arnold Head of International Administration Linda Marron International Tutor

Joanna MacSween Student Support Officer

Vania Theofilopoulou International Officer

Susanne Steffens International Officer

Kay Spears International Administrator

Julie Wright International Administrator Emma Meigh International Co-ordinator

Jinok Lee International Recruitment Support Officer (South Korea)

Jane Clarke Associate Director Study Abroad – Texas Office

Jason Keeling North American Officer – Ohio Office

If your query will be quick to deal with, it may be possible to see someone immediately, but the Centre does operate an appointment system so please be prepared to book an appointment, if required. To get in touch:

Email: Tel: 01695 657122 (7122 internal phones) or simply call in to book an appointment

Useful Contacts Emergency services (Police, Ambulance, Fire Brigade) 999 (internal phones: 9999) If you call from campus please also inform EHU Campus Support on their emergency number: 2222) NHS Direct – 0845 4647

West Lancashire Health Centre (Based in Ormskirk Hospital) – 01695 588800 The Elms Medical Centre 5 Derby Street Ormskirk 01695 573123 Ormskirk Express Cabs 01695 577750

UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) 020 7107 9922 Edge Hill contacts Campus Support (everyday problems such as lost keys) 01695 584227 (4227 internal) EMERGENCY ONLY 01695 582222 (2222 internal) Health and Well Being Centre 01695 584484 (4484 internal)

Student Information Desk 01695 584554 (4554 internal)

Learning Services Helpdesk 01695 584286 (4286 internal)

Facilities Management helpdesk 01695 584455 (4455 internal)

Essential Information Facilities Management Helpdesk The Facilities Management Helpdesk (FM Helpdesk) is located in the Durning Centre on campus. It is the main point of contact for anything related to the maintenance of buildings, cleaning/housekeeping services on campus, Edge Link bus passes and parking permits.

FM is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours security staff based in Campus Support can help with emergencies. Contact FM: Tel: 01695 584455 (internal 4455) Email:

After reporting a problem you will be given a job number, so please ensure you quote this if you need to speak to FM staff about the problem. Campus Support The 24/7 Campus Support Office is located at the front of the University. The Campus Support team are available all year-round to help you with a range of issues.

They ensure everyone’s safety on campus, hold spare keys if you lock yourself out of your room, carry out emergency maintenance work out of hours and offer emergency help when the Centre for International Education is closed. Medical Matters There is a Health and Wellbeing Centre located on Ruff Lane, just across from the back entrance to campus. Some of the services offered include an on-campus nurse, counselling, GP services and contraceptive advice; more information can be found at:

These web pages also include the opening times for the on-campus Health Centre, as well as information about the doctor’s surgery (The Elms Medical Practice) in Ormskirk, which is the partner surgery of the Edge Hill Health and Wellbeing Centre. Services at the Health and Wellbeing Centre are free to all Edge Hill students. Police and Emergency Services In the case of an absolute emergency, phone 9999 (from an internal phone) or 999 (from an external phone). This will put you through to the emergency services. You will then be asked which service you require – Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade. If you do contact the Emergency Services, please inform Security in case they need to direct them.

The local Police Constable is PC Paul Austin, who visits campus regularly and holds weekly drop-in sessions in the Students’ Union.

The local Police Station is located on Burscough Street opposite the public library in Ormskirk town centre. It is open 24 hours a day. The telephone number is 01695 576971, but please note that this number is not for emergency calls.

Campus Facilities - Support Support Services We understand that support is just as important as your studies to make sure your stay with us is a happy one. Your main points of contact for support are your academic department or the Centre for International Education.

Your academic department (personal tutors, module tutors and admin staff) can advise on any aspect of your course, such as problems with essay structure, how to submit work and problems with completing work to deadlines. The Centre for International Education can help with English Language support, immigration advice, travel and act as an independent source of support away from your academic department.

Other support services available are:

Student Information Centre: The Student Information Centre (SIC) and Helpdesk is a one-stop-shop for all your questions on campus. Below is a quick guide to what they offer:

• • • • • • • • •

On-campus/off-campus accommodation Finance matters (money management and financial help) Appointments with the finance and welfare officers Term dates Room locations Exam dates Complaints Academic Registry Help with forms and paperwork

University Library: The Library holds 220,000 books, journals and audio-visual items to help you with your studies. There are also 160 PC workstations, 500 personal study spaces and communal areas for study. The Library helpdesk is a valuable source of information and help, including any IT problems.

Learning Innovation Centre: The LINC building is open 24 hours a day, providing access to 200 PCs and media production and editing facilities. Your Edge Hill Unicard gives you access after 7pm.

Edge Ahead Centre: Based in the University Library on the Ormskirk campus, the Centre can help you develop your study skills, offer advice on essay structures and give help with your academic English. If you have dyslexia or dyspraxia, the Edge Ahead Centre also has many resources for you to use.

Volunteer Multi-Faith Chaplaincy: The role of a Chaplain is to help students at all levels, whether they face economic crisis, family and relationship problems or anxieties and worries in other areas, and to guide them in a way that they can focus on their education. The Chaplaincy offers spiritual and religious support across many faiths and the Chaplain role does not only include giving guidance based on religion but will also include the ability to listen and support from a humane point of view. Chaplains could be presented with sensitive issues occurring on campus. When this is the case the Chaplain can serve as a link between students and university authorities, which can make a real difference to the social and spiritual life of the students. The Volunteer Chaplaincy Service is private and confidential. Please contact the Student Information Centre help desk for more information on how to access this service.

Campus Facilities - Social While it’s important to work hard, you also need to enjoy your time in the UK, and at Edge Hill there are many social activities and venues to make this happen. The Venue: Based in the Students’ Union building, Edge Hill’s on-campus bar provides everything you would expect, including alcoholic and soft drinks, and entertainment such as themed nights and live bands. There are also pool tables and a jukebox. The Venue is a general meeting place on campus for most of the residential students and now has a ‘non-alcoholic quiet zone’ with comfy sofas and internet access. (Please note: the legal age limit to purchase alcohol in the UK is 18.)

Rose Theatre: Edge Hill’s on-site venue for professional theatre and dance companies. Throughout the year, around 75 productions take to the stage over two seasons running from January to June and September to December. Programmes are designed to cater for all tastes, encompassing drama, literature, dance, physical theatre, music, comedy and children’s entertainment. Performances are usually advertised and students can buy tickets at a concessionary price. To buy/reserve tickets: Tel: 01695 584480 or 4480 from an on-campus phone Email: (for security reasons, please do not email credit/debit card details with your reservation) In person: From the Rose Theatre Box Office, Monday to Friday 12pm to 6pm

The Students’ Union: The Students’ Union is run by students for students and is the main voice of the student body in the UK. It has elected members who offer representation on your behalf and independent advice should you require this. For more information, visit:

Students’ Union Societies: Edge Hill Students’ Union offers a wide variety of societies (including the International Society) for you to join, from sitting down with a cup of tea, debating philosophical issues to creating a human pyramid or playing a variety of sports. There really is something for everyone, it’s a great way to meet new people, learn new skills, add value to your student experience and it also looks great on your CV.

Visit to view the full list of societies. If you don’t see one you fancy joining, then why not start your own? Any member of Edge Hill Students’ Union can start their own society; all you need is an idea and ten people (including you) willing to join. Joining the International Society is a great way to meet others in your situation and help you settle into UK life. The society organises trips to tourist destinations such as York and holds events such as cinema evenings.

Students Community Action (SCA): SCA’s main role is divided into two parts. The first is fundraising, whether that is events organised by the SU or charity events organised and run by you, the students. Whatever your ideas for new fundraising we would love to hear them, so pop in or drop us a line and help make this year our best year yet. Secondly, SCA provides volunteering projects, mainly in the local community, for students to get involved with. Projects range from a two-week summer play scheme for children with physical and learning difficulties to conservation work, carol singing, animal care, workshops in primary schools and working with the homeless. So, whatever you’re interested in there’s sure to be something of interest.

Food and Drink The campus offers a wide range of options for food and drink, so you should always be able to find something to suit you, no matter what time of day.

Options and opening times (please be aware that the following details are subject to change and apply only to term time):

The Hub The Terrace Café offers a range of foods that cater for a variety of tastes

Mon–Fri: Sat: Sun:

Breakfast: 7:30am –11:00am Lunch: 12:00pm –1:45pm Dinner: 5:00pm – 6:30pm Brunch: 10:30am – 1:00pm Brunch: 10:30am – 1:00pm Dinner: 5:00pm – 6:30pm

As well as the Terrace Café, there are other food outlets based in the Hub, such as a sandwich bar and coffee bar. The Diner Burgers, pizzas and fries to take away Mon–Fri: Mon–Fri: Sat: Sun:

Lunch: 12:00pm – 2:00pm Evening: 4:45pm – 11:00pm 5:00pm – 11:00pm 6:00pm – 11:00pm

Garden Café (Faculty of Health & Social Care)

Mon–Fri: Lower Ground Floor: Mon–Fri:

10:00am – 4:00pm

8:00am – 3:00pm

Chambers (Business School) Mon–Fri: 10:00am – 2:00pm

Water’s Edge Located in the Faculty of Education building, Water’s Edge has a salad bar, cooked-to-order wok section, a grab-and-go area and fresh ground coffee Mon–Thurs: Fri:

8:00am – 8:00pm 8:00am – 4:00pm


10:00am – 4:00pm

Bookends Coffee Bar A coffee bar on the ground floor in the University Library If you are living in catered accommodation you will be issued with a ‘Unicard’ at registration (a plastic card with your name, photograph and computer username number). Within this card there is a microchip that contains your weekly food allowance. This is designed to provide you with approximately 12 meals a week. (Please note that certain pre-packed items such as bottled drinks, sweets and chocolate may not be bought using the weekly food allowance. If you do not use this allowance in one week, it is not possible to carry over unused monetary value from one week to the next.)

Accommodation On Campus Much of the information about your accommodation can be found in the ‘Halls of Residence licence agreement and Halls Handbook.’ The following section contains some further details about the on-campus accommodation in which you will be living during your stay.

Within your hall of residence there is a student assistant (SA) who is also a resident of the hall. It is their job to ensure your welfare by providing advice, support and information to students in the hall. The SA must also ensure that the members of the hall are following the student code of conduct.

From time to time your SA may call hall meetings during which matters involving the residents of the hall will be discussed. At these meetings you may bring up anything relating to the halls that concerns you. You may alsospeak to your SA on a one-to-one basis if you prefer.

All portable electrical appliances brought on to campus must be electrically safe and a certificate provided to confirm the items have been tested and passed as safe to use. This is particularly important if this item is from outside the UK, due to voltage differences. Any electrical equipment must be tested before it is brought onto the premises, and a certificate provided. A service is provided at registration for your appliances to be PAT tested. This service is provided for each hall and you will be notified of the time and date.

Within halls, students are expected to take their rubbish from their room to the bins outside the hall and keep their own rooms tidy; a vacuum cleaner, brush and mops are provided to do this. The cleaners will only clean the kitchen and shared bathrooms, and they do not clean your dirty pots and pans. If you have an en-suite bathroom, it is your responsibility to clean it. The common room is the collective responsibility of everyone in the hall. There is a laundrette on campus for all students to use. There is a charge for both the washing machines and tumble dryers – usually around £3 for a wash and dry. Off Campus If you live off campus, in privately rented accommodation, some of the issues you need to be aware of include: • • • • • • •

Utility bills (discussed in the Living in the UK section) Council Tax (discussed in the Living in the UK section) Rent payments Contracts Safety certificates Damage deposits Safety and security

Edge Hill’s Accommodation Team are there to provide advice and help on all these matters and more. For more information, please read the ‘Off-campus Accommodation guide’ produced by the Accommodation Team.

Phone Calls Using the Phones in Halls The telephones in your hall will only allow you to call numbers on campus (other halls, the Centre for International Education, Security). To make an internal call, you need to dial a four-digit number. Calls from Home Your friends and family can call you on the hall phones and will need to use the international dialling code for the UK. They will also need to give your name and room number to the person who answers the phone. (The number of the phone nearest to your room should be written on the phone itself. If unsure, ask your student assistant.) Calling Home You may call home from the pay phones on campus, which are located outside the Library, the College Shop, Main Reception and by Forest Court. You can pay for your call using 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins, although it’s cheaper using a phone card than cash. When calling another country from a telephone in Britain you must use the international dialling code in front of the number you wish to dial. For example, the international dialling code for America is 001, so, when calling America you place 001 in front of the number you are trying to reach. To find international dialling codes for anywhere in the world, visit: If you have any trouble with this, the International Operator will be able to help you. You can reach them from a payphone on 155. If you wish to find a number for a foreign country, the International Directory Enquiries number is 118505. (These calls can be expensive, so try to use the internet if you can.) Please also read the section on mobile phones in ‘Living in the UK’.

Sports Facilities The Sporting Edge is Edge Hill’s 25-acre complex with tennis courts, hockey pitches, multi-courts, an athletics track, swimming pool and gym. Opening times:

Monday and Wednesday Tuesday and Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday

7:45am – 10.00pm 9:00am – 10.00pm 7:45am – 9.00pm 9:00am – 6:00pm

For bookings telephone 01695 584745 (internal 4745), or email:

The Gym Located at the Sporting Edge, the gym has 21 pieces of cardiovascular equipment and several resistance and weight machines.

To join the gym you must undergo an induction, which is free of charge and ensures that you are using the equipment in the most beneficial way. Casual users can pay the £4.00 fee and do not have to become a member, but still have to attend an induction.

The Swimming Pool You may use the pool by either buying a swimming permit for the year, which costs £20.00, or paying £1.00 each time you visit. Opening times:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Sunday

7:30pm – 9:00pm 12:15pm – 1:45pm and 4:30pm – 6:00pm 12:15pm – 1:45pm 7:00pm – 8:30pm 12:15pm – 1:45pm 4:00pm – 5:30pm

Please note: Prices and times are correct at time of printing, but are subject to change.

Fitness Classes The Sporting Edge provides evening fitness classes during the week, for which a small fee is charged. To find out more: Tel: 4745 (internal) or 01695 584745 (external) Booking Courts If you can get together a group you can book courts for activities such as soccer and basketball. All you need to do is call in or get in touch by phone or email and see what is available.

Green Travel Edge Link Bus Service As part of our green travel commitments, a free bus service between the Edge Hill campus and the bus station in Ormskirk is provided, six days a week during term time. All students need to do to travel on it is show their Edge Hill ‘Unicard’ to the driver when boarding. Departs Ormskirk Bus Station at 8:15am, then every 15 minutes until 5:45pm Departs Edge Hill entrance at 8:20am, then every 15 minutes until 5:50pm Cycling If you choose to cycle to university, Edge Hill provides shower and locker facilities in Sporting Edge and the Faculty of Health and Social Care buildings, as well as bike stands and Bykebins for storage of your bicycle. Please contact the Facilities Management Helpdesk for further details. Please make sure you are fully aware of the UK road rules and ensure your safety by wearing a helmet, reflective clothing and lights. Guidance about cycling in the UK can be found on the Sustrans website:

Students’ Union and NUS Edge Hill Students' Union (EHSU) is a democratic membership organisation that represents the interests of all students – its members – at the university. When you register on a course you automatically become a member of the Students’ Union. EHSU gives students a voice and promotes positive change by lobbying the university and local, regional and national bodies to ensure you have the best possible student experience while at university. It works to improve both your educational and social experience, and provides a wide range of benefits for members, including sports and societies, academic advice and guidance, events, student representation, welfare, campaigns and much more. There are so many reasons for you to get involved in the Students’ Union. Not only is it great fun and one of the best ways to enjoy your university experience, but it really empowers you as a student to shape yours and other students’ experience and life at Edge Hill. To find out more, call into the EHSU office or visit their web pages at: National Union of Students NUS (National Union of Students) is the national voice of students helping them to campaign, get cheap student discounts and provide advice on living student life to the full. NUS is a voluntary membership organisation which makes a real difference to the lives of students and its member students' unions. Its mission is to promote, defend and extend the rights of students and to develop and champion strong students' unions. NUS Extra ISIC Card NUS Extra is the only student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts, offers and competitions designed to make student life more exciting. You can also purchase a joint NUS Extra and International Students Identification Card (ISIC) together, giving you all the discounts in the UK and over 120 countries worldwide. You can purchase the NUS Extra ISIC Card from the Students’ Union main office, open 9am to 5pm every day. You can pay by cash or by using a credit/debit card. We will take details from you, take your photo, print your card, and you can start enjoying the discounts immediately. Visit for more information on the costs and discounts offered. If you are thinking of taking some trips abroad while you are studying at Edge Hill, go to and type the name of the city you are planning to visit, before seeing the discounts pop up. In the UK, show your card to get discounts locally in Ormskirk and Liverpool, but make sure you take it with you when venturing further afield, to get discounts in London and other major cities. Online discounts are available at:

Living in the UK

Contents 1. Mobile Phones 2. Banking

3. Council Tax, Utilities and Electrical Appliances 4. Health Care

5. Working in the UK 6. Immigration 7. Shopping

8. Places of Worship

Mobile Phones If you have brought a mobile/cell phone with you from abroad, it can be very expensive to use it in the UK, even just to send a text message (SMS). To use a mobile phone while in the UK, it is cheaper for you to purchase a ‘pay as you go’ SIM card from one of the main UK networks or sign up to a phone contract. Pay as you go SIM cards cost from as little as £5 and will work in all mobile phones that can use the GSM 900/1800 networks. If your phone does not work on these networks, then pay as you go mobile phone handsets can be purchased either from the high street stores or on the internet at reasonable prices. The main UK mobile phone networks are: • • • • •

O2 Orange T-Mobile Vodafone 3

Each mobile phone network offers its own ‘pay as you go’ tariffs and deals, so be sure to shop around for the best package for you. For the most up-to-date information on the packages, call into a phone shop. The nearest phone shop in Ormskirk is The Carphone Warehouse on Moor Street, in the town centre.

Banking International students who are studying for longer than six months will probably want to open a UK bank account. You should do this as soon as possible after arriving. There are branches of all the major UK banks in Ormskirk: Barclays Bank 3 Aughton Street 0845 755 5555 Mon–Fri: 9.30am – 4.30pm Halifax 1 Church Street 0845 720 3040 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9.00am –5.00pm Weds: 9.30am – 5.00pm Sat: 9.00am – 12.00pm HSBC Bank 5 Moor Street 0845 740 4404 Mon–Fri: 9.00am – 5.00pm Counter Service: 9.30am – 3.30pm Lloyds TSB Bank Derby Street 0845 300 0000 Mon–Fri: 9.30am – 4.00pm

National Westminster Bank (NatWest) 34 Moor Street 0845 302 1642 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9.00am – 4.30pm Weds: 9.30am – 4.30pm Royal Bank of Scotland 24 Derby Street 01695 572421 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9.15am – 4.45pm Weds: 9.45 am - 4.45pm Santander 2 Moor Street 0845 765 4321 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9.00am –5.00pm Weds: 10.00am – 5.00pm Sat: 9.00am – 12.30pm

You should make sure that the type of account offered to you meets your needs and you are aware of any charges which may be applicable. When opening an account you will need the following: • •

Your passport with student visa, if that is appropriate or Your national photo ID card, if you are from an EU country

• •

The letter from your university/college/school confirming your UK study details or A Letter of Introduction for UK Banking Facilities which your university/ college/school will complete to show your UK study details.


Please call into the Centre for International Education for a leaflet about how to open a bank account.

Council Tax, Utilities and Electrical Appliances Council Tax For students living off campus in private rented accommodation there are several costs that you should be aware of. Council Tax is charged by local authorities in the UK to pay for services such as refuse collection, the police service and fire brigade. Certain people are exempt from paying council tax and students fall into this category. The Council Tax definition of a student is someone who: • • •

is studying on a course of at least one academic year and has an attendance requirement of at least 24 weeks per year and is studying 21 hours or more per week during term time

If the place where you live only has students living there, then the whole property will be exempt. If you are living with others who are not students, then you may be liable to pay the council tax on the whole property. If you are living with dependants on your Tier 4 visa, then it is likely you will be exempt from payment. The Centre for International Education has a leaflet detailing the council tax rules, or you can visit the UKCISA website: Utilities and Electrical Appliances When living in private rented accommodation you should find out whether the rental charge includes utility bills and, if so, which ones. If your rental charge does not include the utility bills you should take meter readings for both gas and electricity the day you move in and inform the companies that new residents are living there. If you are not sure of the providers your landlord should be able to tell you. You will also be required to pay for water and other utilities such as communications (Satellite/Cable TV, broadband, telephone) or contents insurance. The Accommodation Team at Edge Hill have produced an off-campus accommodation guide, which can be downloaded from their web pages: Electrical appliances in the UK are different to those in some other countries. They have an output of 240 volts (compared with an output of 110 volts in the USA, for example), so you must be careful if you have brought an electrical appliance with you such as a laptop computer. Check on your appliance specifications for electrical input, if it says ‘INPUT 100-240V’, this means that your appliance will be able to convert the incoming charge to the correct voltage. All you need is an adapter to change the plug from two to three prongs. These can be purchased in the UK. If you are unsure, please ask at the Centre for International Education.

Health Care All students have access to the Health and Wellbeing Centre, located in Milton House, 41 Ruff Lane – a short walk from the main University campus. Opening times are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday during term time. The Nurse is available 8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday during term time.

International students and their spouses/families who are in the UK for more than six months can obtain treatment from the British National Health Service (NHS), provided they did not come to Britain with the aim of receiving medical treatment.

If you fall into this category, you can receive free treatment in NHS hospitals and register with a doctor (GP). To register with the on-campus doctor you should contact the Health and Wellbeing Centre at Edge Hill. If you prefer to register with a doctor closer to where you live you should check the NHS direct website: for GP Services in your area. International students and their families who are here for less than six months and who are not EEA nationals or do not come from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement may only be entitled to emergency NHS treatment.

If you are here for less than six months, you should not register with a GP unless the need to see a doctor arises. If this happens, then you should make an appointment and complete a temporary residence form.

Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) or from a country with a reciprocal heath care agreement can receive NHS treatment however long they are living and studying in the UK. You should, however, complete form E128 in your home country if you are here to study for less than six months in order to be entitled to full NHS treatment. Please note: Reciprocal health care agreements generally cover hospital treatment for a condition that arises during your stay, but does not always cover treatment of an existing condition. Please check with the health authorities in your home country before travelling to the UK. Should you have an emergency, you can call the emergency services on 999 or, if you are able to get to a hospital yourself, the nearest Accident and Emergency Department to Ormskirk is at Southport General hospital. Should you have a minor injury and need to see a doctor without making an appointment between the hours of 8am and 10pm, you can visit the West Lancashire Health Centre based at Ormskirk hospital. For further information about keeping healthy, visit:

The UK has a reciprocal health care agreement with the following countries and territories: Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) Anguilla Armenia Australia Azerbaijan Barbados Belarus Bosnia & Herzegovina British Virgin Islands Croatia Falkland Islands Georgia Gibraltar Isle of Man Jersey Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan Macedonia Moldova Montserrat New Zealand Russia Serbia & Montenegro St Helena Tajikistan Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Ukraine Uzbekistan

Working in the UK Students who have the right to work in the UK (please check the visa stamp in your passport if you are not sure) may wish to take some part-time work or work during the holidays. (Should you work more hours than your visa allows, this will mean you are in breach of your visa regulations and you will have your visa revoked, so please be aware of this before accepting any employment offer). Edge Hill’s Careers Service, based in the Student Information Centre, can help students to find part-time work and is also a valuable source of information about post-study working. The different areas the Careers Service can help with include: • • • • • •

Part-time job club Career guidance CV/resume guidance Volunteering Equality advice Job fairs

Email: Tel: 01695 584866 National Insurance Number National Insurance is a government tax and payable by everyone who earns over a certain amount. A National Insurance Number is required if you want to work in the UK. It is a unique personal number, which is used to record your National Insurance contributions that may be deducted from your pay cheque. You do not need to have an NI number before starting work, but you must obtain one when you get a job or when looking for work. For further details on how to obtain an NI number, visit the Centre for International Education web pages:

Immigration Tier 4 Students As a Tier 4 Student you are expected to adhere to certain conditions tied to your visa: • • • •

To not claim any state benefits (also known as 'public funds') that you are not entitled to. To register with the police, if this is a requirement for your nationality. Please see the conditions listed on your visa stamp in your passport. To not work more than 20 hours per week during term time. Ensure you attend all required elements of your course of study.

While in the UK you should ensure you do not break the law as this will mean that your visa is likely to be curtailed. For full details on the conditions of your stay, please speak to the Student Support Officer in the Centre for International Education, or visit: Student Visitors If you are on a Student Visitor Visa you are expected to study at an institution with a Sponsor Licence (which Edge Hill has) and be able to support yourself during your studies here without taking employment. A student visitor visa is only intended for those who wish to study on a short course and visit the UK. You are not allowed to: • • •

Take employment Claim state benefits Engage in business activities such as produce goods

While in the UK you should ensure you do not break the law as this will mean that your visa is likely to be curtailed. For full details on the conditions of your stay, please speak to the Student Support Officer in the Centre for International Education, or visit: Students on Other Visas Students on any other type of visa apart from Tier 4 or a Student Visa should make themselves fully aware of the conditions of that visa and the restrictions tied to it. The Student Support Officer in the Centre for International Education will be able to help to clarify the conditions should you need any help.

Registering with the Police Students from certain countries who are in the UK for longer than six months are required to register with the police as stated on the entry clearance/visa stamped in their passport. Students from the following countries will be required to register: Afghanistan Algeria Argentina Armenia Azerbaijan Bahrain Belarus Bolivia Brazil China Columbia Cuba Egypt Georgia Iran

Iraq Israel Jordan Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan Kuwait Lebanon Libya Moldova Morocco North Korea Oman Palestine Peru Qatar

Russia Saudi Arabia Sudan Syria Tajikistan Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan UAE Ukraine Uzbekistan Yemen

Registration is required within seven days of arrival in the UK. The Centre for International Education has the relevant form, which should be completed and taken to Ormskirk police station (if living in Ormskirk). Those living in other areas should contact their local police station. When registering with the police you will require the following: • • • • •

Passport Enrolment letter from Edge Hill University £34 registration fee Completed form Two identical passport-size photos

Students who have to register with the police are required to update their address should they move, which can be done at the local police station.

Shopping Shopping in the UK can be very different to other countries. For instance, it is not common practice to barter or haggle to reduce prices in the UK, and there are not as many street vendors as in other countries around the world. Several big supermarket chains provide a variety of goods including food, clothes and leisure equipment and these are: • • • •

Asda Tesco Morrisons Sainsburys

As well as supermarkets, there are many well-known brands such as Marks and Spencer, Topshop and The Body Shop, as well as international brands such as Zara, Gap and H&M. There are also shops such as Home Bargains and B&M Bargains that sell discounted goods. Several towns/cities hold market days regularly each week, including specialist markets for items such as continental food, or general markets selling a variety of different produce. Ormskirk Market Days are Thursday and Saturday. Stamps for the UK are sold in the shop on campus and many newsagents in Ormskirk. The Post Office is located in the centre of Ormskirk and this is where you should go to send any parcels home or if you require stamps to post letters outside the UK.

Places of Worship As well as the volunteer chaplaincy at Edge Hill there are many places of worship in the local area.

The churches listed below are located in Ormskirk and the surrounding area. The individual services of these churches vary so we recommend that you telephone the church before you visit. Places of worship in Ormskirk

Places of worship in the surrounding area

Ormskirk Parish Church Church Street Ormskirk Rev. Chris Jones Tel: 01695 572143

Dechen Buddhist Centres 15 Parkfield Road Liverpool Tel: 0151 727 0108

St. Anne’s Catholic Church Prescot Road Ormskirk Father Timney Tel: 01695 572168 Ormskirk Methodist United Reformed Church Derby Street Ormskirk Rev. Melvyn J. Kelly Tel: 01695 583227 Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses 39 Moorgate Ormskirk Tel: 01695 581221

Liverpool Muslim Society 29–31 Hatherley Street Liverpool Tel: 0151 709 2560 Southport New Synagogue Portland Street Southport Tel: 01704 535950

There are many religious and spiritual centres within reach of Ormskirk.

Aughton Park Baptist Church 47 Colinmander Gardens, Aughton Tel: 01695 575446

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses 39 Duke Street, Southport Tel: 01704 501697

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Preston New Road, Southport Tel: 01704 226709

Ormskirk Christian Fellowship Community Centre, St. Helens Road, Ormskirk Tel: 01695 579876

Christian Science Reading Room 9 Lord Street, Southport Tel: 01704 535141

Transcendental Meditation (TM) Centre The Woodley Park Centre, Ashurst, Skelmersdale Tel: 01695 728115

Christ Church (CE) Long Lane, Aughton Tel: 01695 421391

Community Church: The Family Life Centre 63a Scarsbrick New Road, Southport Tel: 01704 500911

Community Church Ormskirk School, Wigan Road, Ormskirk

Cottage Lane Mission Cottage Lane, Ormskirk Tel: 01695 422175

Elim Pentecostal Church Manchester Road, Southport Tel: 01704 544419

Friends Meeting House (Quakers) 22 School Lane, Liverpool Tel: 0151 709 6957

Gujurat Hindu Society South Meadow Lane, Preston Tel: 01772 253901/885761

Hindu Cultural Organisation Welsh Prestatyn Church Edge Lane, Liverpool Tel: 0151 263 7965

Southport Hebrew Congregation Arnside Road, Southport Tel: 01704 532964

West Lancashire Bahai Community 44 Evenwood, Tanhouse 4, Skelmersdale. Tel: 01695 728847

Women’s Aglow Fellowship 303 Blackgate Lane, Tarleton, Lancashire. Tel: 01772 814490 World Gospel Mission 2 Blundell Drive, Southport. Tel: 01704 566551

There are several religious bookshops in the local area:

S.P.C.K. Bookshop Liverpool Cathedral, St. James Mount, Liverpool Tel: 0151 7091897 Christian Book Centre 3 Wesley Street, Southport Tel: 01704 542226

The Olive Tree (Islamic Books) 61 Renshaw Street, Liverpool Tel: 0151 708 8780

Ormskirk, Liverpool and the Region

Contents 1. Ormskirk

2. Liverpool

3. The Region

Ormskirk Located 19 miles north of the city of Liverpool, Ormskirk is in the County of Lancashire. On the map below, you can see Ormskirk’s location within the North West of England. Ormskirk is believed to have grown from an original Viking village. The first settlers were Norsemen who arrived via Ireland and the Isle of Man, settling in the North West of England during the ninth and tenth centuries. The name Ormskirk is derived from the Viking leader ‘Orme’ who settled in the town in approximately 840AD. Historians believe that Orme was a Christian and speculate that he built the Parish church. In Viking times a church was known as a kirk, hence the name ‘Ormskirk’ – Orme’s church. Ormskirk Market takes place every Thursday and Saturday. On market day the main precincts of the town are over-run by stalls selling a variety of goods. The town market has been running in Ormskirk since 1286 when it was established in order for monks from Burscough Priory to sell the goods they had produced on their farmland. Today it sells more than just farm produce and is great for bargains as well as souvenirs.



Liverpool Liverpool is the closest large city to Edge Hill University and only 30 minutes away by train. Liverpool has a rich history, particularly in relation to maritime industries and is one of the UK’s main ports. People from Liverpool are known as ‘Scousers’ and have a ‘Scouse’ accent, which some international students take a while to get used to! Liverpool is an UNESCO world heritage site and is the home of two major football clubs (Liverpool and Everton), many museums and art galleries, three universities and it has a rich cultural heritage, especially if you know about The Beatles! The Centre for International Education runs tours to Liverpool at arrival time in September and January; however, if you want to see the sights and find out what’s going on and where things are happening yourself, there is a map on the previous page and below some useful websites: Liverpool City Council: Liverpool Tourist Information:

The Region Edge Hill is based in the North West of England, which has a wealth of attractions for visitors to the area (or students who want a break from studies) and is not too far from attractions in North Wales or Yorkshire. The main North West cities, apart from Liverpool, are: Manchester Known for its industrial beginnings and music scene, Manchester also has two main football clubs – Manchester City and Manchester United. There are several major tourist attractions such as the Museum of Science and Industry, Urbis centre, People’s History Museum and Imperial War Museum North. Manchester has a main shopping area in the city centre, as well as a major shopping centre based just outside the city called The Trafford Centre. Preston Is the administrative capital of the Lancashire county in which Edge Hill is based. Lancaster The historic capital of Lancashire and home to Lancaster Castle, this is a great city to visit and has many interesting architectural buildings. Chester Chester was founded in Roman times and still has city walls today. It was built around the banks of the River Dee and is one of the top tourist destinations in the UK. There is also Chester Cathedral, which is an impressive and brilliant building to visit.

As well as the cities of the North West, there are a whole variety of different attractions to visit in the North West and North Wales, depending on your interests. Below are just a few of the highlights: To see the Great Outdoors: • Lake District National Park (home to the highest mountain in England – Scafell Pike) • Snowdonia National Park (home to the highest mountain in Wales – Snowdon) • Forest of Bowland • Peak District National Park • Delamere Forest • Red Squirrel Reserve in Formby To visit the Seaside: • Formby sand dunes • The Iron Men at Crosby • Southport (just 30 minutes on the bus from EHU) • Blackpool (traditional British seaside resort) • Morecambe (has the largest area of tidal sands in the UK, not to be walked on as many areas are sinking sand) Attractions: • Blackpool and the Pleasure Beach • The Chill Factor-e (skiing and snowboarding in Manchester) • Alton Towers (Stoke on Trent) • Knowsley Safari Park (Liverpool) • Chester Zoo • Blackpool Zoo • Lyme Park (Manchester) • Rufford Old Hall (close to EHU) • Conway Castle (North Wales) • Port Sunlight (Wirral) • Tatton Park (historic house and gardens in Cheshire) For more information on these attractions or how to get there, call and see the staff in the Centre for International Education or read the Travel section of this handbook.

Travel Advice Contents 1. General Travel Information

2. Personal Safety when Travelling

3. NUS ISIC Card

4. The Euro Currency

General Travel Information During your time at Edge Hill you may wish to travel further afield so that you can visit other parts of the UK and Europe. The Centre for International Education has several books that you may wish to borrow and most of our staff have substantial experience of travel in the UK and Europe, and will be happy to discuss your travel plans with you and offer advice. Travel in the UK

Rail The UK has a substantial rail service and it is usually possible to get a train to wherever you want to visit. When travelling nationally it is often cheaper to book tickets as far in advance as possible, but local trains are the same price no matter when you book. During peak times (usually weekdays 7.30am–9.30am and 3pm– 7pm) trains usually cost more than at off-peak periods, so if possible try and travel outside the peak hours. The following websites and telephone numbers are good sources of information about train times and services: National Rail Tel: 08457 484950 Merseyrail

Rail Europe

Virgin Trains

Top Tip If you are planning to use the train frequently in the UK it is worth buying a young person’s railcard, as this will save you up to a 1/3 on all your fares. Find out more in the Centre for International Education or visit:

Buses/coaches There are many local bus services from Ormskirk to towns and cities in the area. To find out more about when they run and what they cost, call in at the tourist information centre at the bus station in Ormskirk or visit:

To find out more about national coach services to cities further afield such as Birmingham, London, Bath, Edinburgh, York, visit: or

Airlines There are many different airlines within the UK and Europe, including budget airlines and others such as British Airways, KLM or Emirates. The budget airlines are very popular and it is possible to find fares from a penny, but you must be aware of the added extras, such as check-in bag charges, priority boarding and seat booking. You should also check that the airport you will be arriving at is close to where you want to go, as often the destination may state the city of your choice but can be hours from the centre. Websites for budget airlines that depart from Manchester or Liverpool airports are: Easyjet Ryan Air

BMI Baby Jet 2

Hostels When travelling, hostels offer a cost-effective accommodation option and can be great for meeting like-minded people. However, the quality can vary greatly and you should consider reviews before booking anything. You should also consider the time of your flight arrival, how far your hostel is from the airport/train station and bear in mind whether the accommodation will be in shared dormitories, mixed or single sex, if there are lockers available and whether bedding and towels are provided. The following websites are all useful should you want to stay in a hostel:

British Youth Hostel Association

Scottish Youth Hostel Association

International Youth Hostel Federation Hostel World

Hostel Bookers

Hotels When travelling it is important to ensure the hotel you stay in has the amenities you require in the location you need. The UK has several chain hotels, which have standard rates and are usually all of the same standard in terms of cleanliness and comfort. The two main UK chain hotels are: Premier Travel Inn


When booking hotels, you could consider booking through a website such as Expedia or Late Rooms as often you can get very good deals that make it cheaper than staying in a hostel. Again, you should check the location in relation to the airport/train station you will arrive at and any reviews that have been written about a hotel.

Personal Safety when Travelling Always remain vigilant regarding your personal safety while travelling and exercise caution. Keep your valuables close at all times and take the usual precautions regarding your safety that you would when in a new environment, such as trying not to travel alone, keeping to the busy areas of town or city and not wandering off into quiet or unlit streets. We hope it doesn’t happen, but if it does, you must report the loss or theft of your passport immediately to the local police and your nearest Embassy or Consulate. You may want to keep a photocopy of the photo page of your passport separate from your other documents, in case it is lost or stolen. Again, we hope you won’t have to do this, but if you are a victim of crime, you must report any crime or losses to the police within 24 hours and obtain a crime reference number. Please also ensure that you keep any receipts for goods bought as replacements for those stolen in case of an insurance claim. You MUST ensure that you have adequate insurance during your travels. The policy you have with Edge Hill will NOT cover you when travelling outside England, Scotland or Wales. Therefore, you MUST take out additional travel and health insurance if you are travelling to Ireland, other European countries or other parts of the world. The easiest way to do this is to contact your insurance provider in your home country to extend your insurance cover, as policies purchased in the UK may not cover you because you are not a UK citizen. In addition, please make sure that you have adequate insurance if you are undertaking any winter sports. For those of you who live on campus, you may wish to sign your hall keys back into security, to avoid paying a replacement charge if you lose your keys while on your travels. Please take the contact telephone number for Edge Hill Security with you when travelling. Security can be contacted on +44 1695 584227 from outside the UK and 01695 584227 from within the UK, and they are available to assist you in an emergency, 24 hours a day. Centre for International Education staff will contact you using your Edge Hill email account, so please check this regularly and provide the Centre with a contact telephone number (e.g. cell phone or number of the accommodation you will be staying at and the accommodation address). We will keep this information on your file in the Centre for International Education and use it to contact you. We also recommend that students consult their home country state department website before travelling.

The Euro Currency The Euro is used by 16 countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain. The UK, Denmark and Sweden, which are also members of the European Union, are not part of the Euro area. Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican City have been allowed to use the Euro as its currency, but are not EU members. Andorra, Montenegro and Kosovo have also adopted the Euro as their currency but without any formal agreement with the European Central Bank. Countries outside the EU (apart from Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican) do not use the Euro, including popular tourist destinations like Turkey and Switzerland. You can use Euro notes and coins anywhere in the Euro area. For example, you can use Euro from Ireland in shops in Spain or in any of the other Euro area countries. When you return to the UK, keep any leftover Euro to use on your next visit to any other country in the Euro area, or change it back into sterling as you would with other currencies. The Euro is divided into 100 cents. There are seven banknotes: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euro. There are eight Euro coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 cents, and 1 and 2 Euro. Euro notes are identical for all the Euro countries. Each country in the Euro area produces its own coins (apart from Andorra, Montenegro and Kosovo), with that country’s symbol on one side of it, but you can use the coins in any of the Euro area countries.




Edge Hill University St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 4QP United Kingdom

International Student Handbook  

Edge Hill University International Student Handbook

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you