EASTCONN Community Education â€¢ Fall 2016 Close to home, affordable and FUN!
Discover! Mortgage & Refinance Awareness, page 3
Herbal & Spice Pairings, page 3
Ballet Workout, page 4
Dear Community Members: I’m extremely pleased to offer our Fall 2016 catalog! For over 22 years, Adult and Community Education programs have offered a variety of convenient, affordable and high-quality programs that are designed to enrich and benefit the lives of our community.
Can’t make it to a classroom? Check out the exciting instructor-facilitated Ed2Go, The Center for Legal Studies and UGot Class online courses offered. They are informative, enjoyable, convenient and highly interactive.
Feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or suggestions for future courses. I look forward to an exciting fall and hope to see you all on our fabulous bus trips and in our classrooms! Richard Tariff EASTCONN Director of Adult Programs & Community Education 860-455-1562; firstname.lastname@example.org
OVER 250 ONLINE CLASSES • Instructor-facilitated online courses that are informative, fun, convenient and highly interactive any time of the day or night. • Six-week courses are project-oriented and include lessons, quizzes, hands-on assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links and more. • Visit www.ed2go.com/eastconn/ to find the complete catalog of 250+ courses. Please note!! • Online classes require you to register securely online using a MasterCard, VISA, or American Express. Do not use the registration form in this brochure to register for any online classes. • Ed2Go classes are not refundable. • Some Ed2Go Topics: Accounting Fundamentals • Grant Writing • Medical Coding • Medical Terminology: A Word-Association Approach • Speed Spanish
• 19 Classes Offered • Do not use the registration form in this brochure to register for any online classes. • Some of the classes: Law School Preparation • Legal Nurse Consultant Training Course • Paralegal Certificate Course • Software Essentials for the Law Office
• Over 50 Online Classes • Do not use the registration form in this brochure to register for any online classes. • It’s easy! It’s fun. Most courses are offered 4 times a year. Classes start the first Monday of the month. New to online learning? Our online learning tutorial begins the week before classes start. • Some UGot Class Topics: Career Preparation • Content Marketing, Google + Online Advertising • Spanish for medical Professionals
TABLE OF CONTENTS Adult Education....................................................................pp. 8-9 Adult Basic Education - Reading & Math Citizenship Classes Employment & Training: Technology Academy and Customer Service Academy ESL (English-as-a-Second Language) Family Literacy J.E.T. (Jobs, Employment & Training) Options to Earn a Diploma: CDP, GED, NEDP Transitions to Post-Secondary Program Arts, Crafts & Hobbies..........................................................p. 3 Financial...............................................................................p. 3 Kids Corner & CTAA.............................................................pp. 3-6 Mind & Body.........................................................................p. 7 Music & Dance.....................................................................p. 7 Personal Development.................................................................p. 7 Photography.................................................................................p. 10 Special Events & Bus Trips..........................................................pp. 10-13 Class Sites....................................................................................back cover Registration...................................................................................p. 14
Meet Our Staff
Sandra Garcia Community Education Program Coordinator
Dara Bowling CTAA Program Coordinator
We encourage you to register early. It can often make or break a course. Please consider your schedule when signing up for a class. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or call 860-423-2591.
2 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
Arts, Crafts & Hobbies • Finanial • Kids Corner & CTAA Arts, Crafts & Hobbies
Healthy Herbal Make & Take
• Join this fun, creative and informative class on healthy herbal products for your pantry. • You will make an autumn herb rub, a no-salt herb blend, mulling spices, an herbal vinegar and a pungent herb blend for cheese. • Receive handouts and recipes on all items. • Holiday gift bag and labels are provided. 1 Class with Michele Tuesday, November 15, 6–8 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $25; Material Fee: $25, payable to instructor
Herbal Gifts for the Holidays
• Still haven’t found the perfect gift for the holidays? Join us in this 2-hour class to create meaningful herbal gifts for your loved ones. • Craft a scented shower gel and a matching herbalscented massage oil, a seasonal scented room spray, a spicy herbal tea blend, some spicy-hot chocolate mix and a dill seasoning for dips. • Receive handouts and recipes on all items. • Holiday gift bag, tissue paper, ribbons and tags are provided. 1 Class with Michele Tuesday, December 13, 6–8 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $25; Material Fee: $25, payable to instructor
Herbal & Spice Pairings
• Ever wonder what herbal spices pair best with foods? Then join us in this 2-hour workshop! • Taste-test autumn foods paired with herbs/spices to enhance their flavors. • Learn to pair herbs/spices with apples, cranberries, pears and pumpkin. • Bring your appetite! • Receive handouts and recipes on all items. 1 Class with Michele Wednesday, October 12, 6–8 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $25; Material Fee: $20, payable to the instructor
• Herbal Oxymels is a traditional preparation of combining apple cider vinegar, honey and beneficial herbs. • Learn the history and health benefits of herbal oxymels. • You will make 2 oxymels to take home: an autumn oxymel and a rose/tulsi oxymel. • Receive handouts with recipes and information on all products. 1 Class with Michele Wednesday, September 28, 6–8 p.m. Parish Hill High School, Chaplin $25; Material Fee: $15, payable to the instructor
Social Security Planning
• Join this informative seminar to begin planning for Social Security. • Learn how to apply, how to minimize taxes on Social Security benefits, how to coordinate your Social Security with other sources of retirement income, and so much more. 1 Class with Charles Thursday, October 20, 6-8 p.m. RHAM High School, Hebron OR Tuesday, November 1, 6-8 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $29
Kids Corner & CTAA Financial NEW
Maximize Social Security
• Join this one-hour course to learn about the many strategies that financial planners use to determine the right plan for you. • Don’t risk reducing your maximum payout and carefully consider your choices in this class. 1 Class with Vincent Tuesday, November 22, 6–8 p.m. Plainfield High School, Plainfield $15
Mortgage & Refinance Awareness
• Are you looking to purchase a home or refinance, but don’t know where to begin? Join this 1-hour class to feel comfortable with the process, when the time comes. • Learn basics that every homeowner should know about mortgages and refinancing. 1 class with Ryan Tuesday, October 18, 5:30–6:30 p.m. EASTCONN NLC, Danielson OR Wednesday, November 19, 5-6 p.m. RHAM High School, Hebron $15
Retirement Planning – Will you outlive your Money?
• Join us in this one-hour compact course to discover if you’re on the right track for planning your retirement. 1 Class with Vincent Friday, October 14, 6–8 p.m. Parish Hill High School, Chaplin $15
3 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
Acting 1: Creating the Actor’s Toolbox (ages 10+)
• Students will develop self-confidence and the ability to be creative collaboratively! • Actors have a “toolbox” of skills and talents from which to draw. This class will teach, encourage, and sharpen the actor’s tools – voice, body and imagination – through exercises, games and skits. • This class covers basic acting principles, including action, objective, obstacles, conflict, beats and being in the moment while incorporating fundamentals of movement, voice and improvisation essential to the art of acting. • Students will examine scripts, perform character analysis, learn about actors’ journals and perform a final presentation for families. 12 Classes with Dan Mondays, September 12 – December 12 (no class 10/10, 10/31), 5:30–6:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $99
Acting 2 (ages 13-18)
• Students will concentrate on voice, body, and imagination as they work to develop self-confidence through theater games and group work. • Students will learn to analyze characters for their qualities, characteristics, and motivations. • A final presentation for families will take place at the end of the semester. 12 Classes with Dan Mondays, September 12 – December 12 (no class 10/10, 10/31), 6:30–7:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $109
Kids Corner & CTAA Acting & Comedy Improvisation (ages 10+)
• Comedic improvisation, like “Whose Line is it anyway?” is not scripted but requires building blocks to create successful scenes. • Through improv and games, students will develop the confidence to take control of the stage, develop cool characters and funny situations, and support fellow performers. • Using shows such as “Saturday Night Live,” “Monty Python,” and “Second City TV” as inspiration, students will work on the skills necessary to create comedy sketches. • A performance will take place for families at the end of the semester. 12 Classes with Dan Mondays, September 12 – December 12 (no class 10/10, 10/31), 7:30–8:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $99
Advanced Ballet (ages 10+)
• Improve your ballet technique and performance with a full barre and center class with focused work and personal coaching emphasizing musicality and movement quality. • Appropriate for students with at least 4 years of ballet training (exceptions can be made for exceptional technique). Attire: leotard, tights, ballet slippers (pointe shoes if you have them), and hair in a bun. Warm-up clothes and ballet skirts may be worn over ballet attire for the beginning of class. Boys should wear tee-shirts and comfortable shorts or proper class attire. 12 Classes with Ara Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 10/19, 11/23), 5–6:45 p.m. OR Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/26), 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $199
Advanced Jazz/Modern (ages 10+)
• Students learn to dance with an emphasis on using the whole body, self-expression and spatial awareness. • Specific historical styles of dance with modern dance pioneers will be incorporated, including Hortin, Limon, Graham and Cunningham. • Creativity is encouraged through improvisation. • This class is for the more advanced jazz student. 10 Classes with Alana Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14
(no class 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/23), 6:45–7:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $149
Advanced Tap (ages 10+)
• This 45-minute class is intended for the more advanced tap student. • Students will work on furthering their knowledge of tap vocabulary, styles and fundamentals through technique, floor progressions and dance combinations. • Techniques that students will work on are faster, additional intricate footwork, with rhythms and patterns providing the development for more speed, clarity and dynamics. 10 Classes with Alana Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/23), 6–6:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $129
Ballet Workout (ages 12+)
• Ballet dancers are known for their lean muscle strength, grace, and flexibility. Get fit, flexible, and even walk more confidently in heels by joining us for a workout based on the ballet technique that got them there. • No previous ballet experience necessary. All the exercises can be done at home, as well as in the classroom. • Feel free to bring a yoga mat or extra cushioning. 12 Classes with Ara Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 10/19, 11/23), 6:45–7:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $159
Beginner Ballet (ages 6-8)
• Learn beginner ballet basics with an emphasis on creativity, discipline, and the enjoyment of movement and music. Attire: Any color leotard with pink, white or black tights, hair pulled back (ballet skirts are welcome). 12 Classes with Ara Tuesdays, September 13 – December 13 (no class, 11/1 & 11/8), 5–6 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $169
4 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
OR 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19, 11/23), 9–9:45 a.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $135
Beginner Ballet (ages 9-11)
• The focus of this class is to build upon the pre-teen dancer’s vocabulary of ballet movement through flexibility, strength, alignment and grace in the presence of the body through exercises. • Students will work on barre, stretches, center and across the floor work along with a focus on musicality through movement with the use of various tempos. • This class is for beginner-to-intermediate-level dancers, or those with up to 5 years of experience. 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19 &11/26), 10:45–11:30 a.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $135
Beginner Jazz & Tap (ages 6-9)
• Students will learn to dance using jazz dance styles with an emphasis on using the whole body, self-expression and spatial awareness in the jazz portion. • In the tap portion, students will be taught basic vocabulary, styles and fundamentals of tap through technique, floor progressions and dance combinations. • Children will focus on musicality and rhythm with creativity being strongly encouraged through improvisation. • This class is for the beginning dancer with up to 3 years of experience. 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19 &11/26), 9:45–10:45 a.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $159
Beginner Violin for Children (ages 5-17)
• Learn to read and play notes on the staff as well as the fiddle technique. 5 Classes with Kevin Fridays, October 14 – November 11, 5:30–6:30 p.m. Killingly School of Music, Danielson $59
Kids Corner & CTAA Classic and Contemporary Drawing Basics (ages 10-18)
• Find your individual style of drawing in this course! • Learn the basic methods of classical art and contemporary ideas. • Study the basic history of art. NOTE: Please bring a sketchbook and your preferred drawing medium for the first class. 12 Classes with Pheylin Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 10/19, 11/23), 6–8 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $125
Creative Movement (ages 4-6)
• Perfect for children who love to move! • Children are introduced to the joy of dancing in this introductory class. • They will explore movement and coordination of their bodies through music, rhythm, poems/stories and props. 10 Classes with Alana Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/23), 5:30–6 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $109 OR 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19 &11/26), 1:15–1:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $115
Dance Ensemble – Choreography/ Improvisation Training (ages 8+)
• Open to interested members of appropriate age with previous dance experience, with artistic director’s permission. • This is a jazz, modern and ballet dance performing preparatory group. • Students contribute to the creation of original dance pieces to be performed for organization-related functions or in the community. • Choreography and improvisation techniques will be taught. Creativity is encouraged. Pre-requisite: Students are required to take at least one (1) additional technique class per week. 10 Classes with Alana Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/23), 7:45–8:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $129
Elementary Engineering (grades 4-8)
• Students will learn integrated science and math, while having fun in this 7-week class! • Students will creatively build and modify machines, applying basic engineering principles and using our unique LEGO® kits. • Items students will build include a band car carousel, crane, belt conveyer, and much more! • Students will get to take home a small project the last day of class. 7 Classes Thursdays, October 6 – December 1 (no class 10/27, 11/240 (make-up 12/8), 3:15–5:15 p.m. Pomfret Community School, Pomfret $209
Family Dance (ages 1-4, accompanied by an adult
• Creative movement for adults and children together! • Feed your child’s creativity, imagination and love of movement by joining us in dance class. You may discover the kid inside of you as they learn new skills, while having fun to music. • Come play with us! • No experience necessary. Comfortable clothes and bare feet encouraged. 13 Classes with Ara Thursdays, September 15 – December 15 (no class 11/24), 5:45–6:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $135 OR 12 Classes with Ara Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/26), 9–9:45 a.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $129
“Shelly did a great job teaching and encouraging us in our creative efforts [Beginner Jewelry]and in providing materials for all of us. She was a patient teacher.” – Donna Landry
Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed 5
Hip-Hop (ages 7-12)
• This class welcomes boys and girls from beginner level to intermediate level, or with up to 5 years of training. • Students learn rhythm, musicality and coordination. Creativity is encouraged. • The fundamentals of jazz, upon which Hip-Hop is based, will be focused on for jazz/funk and part lyrical hip-hop style, which incorporates emotion into dance. Popping, locking and breaking techniques will be applicable. 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19 &11/26), 12:30–1:15 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $135
Intermediate/Advanced Ballet (ages 8+)
• Music and movement merge as you refine your ballet technique and grow both as an artist and athlete in this intermediate ballet class open to students with at least 3 years of ballet training (exceptions can be made for exceptional technique). • Students will receive personal attention and encouragement in a low-pressure environment. Attire: Leotard, tights, ballet slippers, and hair in a bun. Warm-up clothes and ballet skirts may be worn over ballet attire for the beginning of class. Boys should wear t-shirts and comfortable shorts or proper class attire. 12 Classes with Ara Tuesdays, September 13 – December 13 (no class 11/1 & 11/8), 6–7:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic OR Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/26), 10–11:30 a.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $219
Intermediate Jazz & Tap (ages 8-12)
• Students move beyond the basics in this intermediate level class. • They will develop the freedom, power and dynamics of jazz dance styles, while also learning the technique, floor progressions and dance combinations of refining tap skills for clarity of sound and steps. • This class is for the intermediate dancer, or dancers with up to 6 years of experience. 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19 &11/26), 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $159
Kids Corner & CTAA NEW
Intro to Stage Make-up (ages 12+)
• Do you love applying make-up and getting creative? If so, this class is for you! • Students will learn the basics of theater make-up, how to do the dramatic smokey-eye make-up, natural daytime make-up, how to use foundation, highlighting and contouring, old-age make-up, period and character make-up, color theory and tools, hygiene and skincare, and much more! • On the final day of class, students will design a look start to finish using all the tools and skills learned. 13 Classes with Vicki Wednesdays, September 14 – December 14 (no class 10/19, 11/23), 5:30–7:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $209
Lindy Hop (ages 11+, men, women, couples, kids)
• Lindy Hop is a form of Swing dancing done socially to Jazz music, born in African-American communities from Harlem, New York, in the 1930s and ‘40s. • Having been trained by Frankie Manning, one of the most famous and popular Lindy Hoppers of all time, the teacher of this class will incorporate his gritty and generous style. • You will learn how to lead and follow on the social dance floor and gain dance techniques (including East Coast Swing), giving you confidence about attending any Swing dance and dancing with even the most experienced dancers. 13 Classes with Ara Thursdays, September 15 – December 15 (no class 11/24), 7:30–8:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $15
Intro to Technical Theater (ages 12+)
Junior Engineering (grades 1-3)
Musical Theater Program – The Wizard of Oz
• This course is a great hands-on learning and building course. • Students will creatively build and modify machines through basic engineering skills, using our LEGO® kits. • Some of the machines they will build include windmills, a merry-go-round, race car, and much more! • Students will get to take home a small project the last day of class. 7 Classes Fridays, September 30 – November 18 (make-up 12/2), 3:15-5:15 p.m. Canterbury Elementary School, Canterbury $205
• In this hands-on course, young students will discover the basics of creating art in response to their own reaction to kid-friendly poetry from multiple cultures. • Students will create sketches, paintings, sculptures and recycled art statues in response to the words, images, rhythms and impressions prompted by the poetry of Shel Silverstein, Marilyn Singer, Pat Mora, Francisco D. Alarcon, and many others. Classes with Rebecca Tuesdays & Thursdays, September 12 – December 15 (no class 10/11, 11/1 & 11/24) 6:45–7:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $215
Pointe (ages 8+)
• Dancing en pointe adds another level of beauty to your performance. • Increase your strength and technique with targeted exercises, pointe shoe fitting and evaluation, and tips for caring for your feet and shoes. • If you wish to go en pointe but have no experience, join us in soft slippers for strengthening and evaluation. 12 Classes with Ara Tuesdays, September 13 – December 13 (no class 11/1 & 11/8), 7:30–8:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $169
• Learn behind-the-scenes aspects of mounting any theater production. • Your student will actively learn about lighting, set design and construction, sound, and costuming in a safe, authentic, hands-on setting! Classes with Sean Tuesdays & Wednesdays, September 13 – December 14 (no class 10/19, 11/1, 11/23), 6–7 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $205
Pictures through Poetry: Words, Art and Fun! (ages 5-9)
This year we’re off to see the Wizard as we act, sing, and dance to create the magic of The Wizard of Oz! The Yellow Brick Road leads Dorothy and her friends toward Oz, where they realize the true power of friendship and believing in themselves. The Prince Street Players, Ltd., production is based on the book by L. Frank Baum and is a classic, well-loved story that will spring to life on the beautiful Capitol Theater stage under the direction of Shane William Kegler. Come join us as we make magic! Tuesdays & Thursdays, September 13 – April 20 (no class 11/24, 12/27, 12/29, 2/21, 4/11, 4/13) 6–8 p.m. Show dates are April 21 and 22, 2017 EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $599
Self-Hypnosis for Teens
• Learn to harness the power of your mind, using self-hypnosis to improve artistic, academic and sports performance. • Take control of your mind and use it to reach your fullest potential. 2 Classes with Eagelmoon Raes Tuesday & Thursday, October 18 & 20, 6–9 p.m. RHAM High School, Hebron OR Tuesday & Thursday, November 15 & 17, 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $99
Private Lessons: Dance • Creative Writing • Voice • Acting
One-on-one lessons with a professional instructor. Increase dedication, capacity, skills and facility. For all skill levels. Fee: Half-hour $25/lesson; Hour $45/lesson. Private lessons are not eligible for any discounts.
6 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
Kids Corner & CTAA • Mind & Body • Music & Dance Tiny Tappers (ages 4-6)
Setting the Scene (ages 14-18)
• Learn how to turn a scene in your mind into a skit for the stage! • Students will learn format, stage directions and how to find a character’s voice, culminating in writing a short one-act play. • Students will need to bring writing utensils, notebooks and/or a laptop to class. 12 Classes with Erika Mondays, September 12 – December 12 (no class 10/10, 10/31), 5–6:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $145
Sherlock Holmes (ages 11+)
• Learn about literature’s most famous detective and his methods of deductive reasoning with Holmes expert, Dan. • Enjoy Dan’s portrayal of Holmes in a mini-play. • Take part in this interactive performance by helping suggest a solution. 12 Classes with Dan Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 11 a.m. –12 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $99
Stories Come to Life! Creative Fiction and Nonfiction Writing
• Create “real” characters that are vibrant and dynamic! • Create settings that are rich and detailed. • Go for the action – bring a story to life by learning how to write fast pacing. • Work with peers to revise and develop final stories. 12 Classes with Dara Mondays, September 12 – December 12 (no class 10/10 & 10/31), 6:30–7:30 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $125
• Every great dancer begins at the beginning! • This introductory tap class teaches children the basics in an age-appropriate environment that supports their development in a fun and upbeat atmosphere. • Students will learn the basics of tapping as they refine and develop large and small muscle-group movements. • They will build fine-motor skills and develop balance and rhythm. Attire: Girls – leotards, tights and tap shoes. Boys – fitted stretchy clothing and tap shoes. Long hair needs to be worn in a ponytail or bun. 12 Classes with Hillary Mondays, September 12 – December 12 (no class 10/10, 10/31), 5–5:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $155 OR 11 Classes with Alana Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/19, 11/26), 1:45–2:45 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $115
Vehicle Engineering (grade 4-8)
• Students will build up to 13 different motorized vehicles, capped off with a final project using our unique LEGO® kits. • Some of the vehicles they will build include a motorcycle, space wars vehicle, submarine, flipper car, motorized wheel chair, and much more! • Students will get to take home a small project the last day of class. 7 Classes Mondays, November 7 – December 19 (make-up 1/9), 2:15–4:15 p.m. RHAM Middle School, Hebron $209
Video Game Making (grades 4-8)
• Students will be taught how to design and modify their own arcade style video games. • They’ll learn how to control characters objects, and outcomes in their game, then increase the difficulty level and add more features. • Students will learn to design their own version of Pac Man and several other games! NOTE: Students need their own e-mail address and small flash drive 7 Classes Wednesdays, September 28 – November 9
7 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
(make-up 11/16), 5:30–7:30 p.m. EASTCONN NLC, Danielson $199
Video Game Making – Invader (grades 4-8)
• Learn how to design and modify your own exciting arcade-style games! • Control characters and outcomes, then increase the difficulty level and add more features. • You’ll create games, including soccer, a Breakoutstyle game, and alien Invader (plus a secret game at the end of the class!) 7 Classes Tuesdays, November 1 – December 13 (make-up 12/20), 5:30–7:30 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $209
Mind & Body NEW
Reiki – Level I
• Have you ever wanted to learn the gentle “layingon-of-hands” technique, also known as the Reiki system? • Learn to restore balance in your life, based on holistic methods. • Study the history and effects of Reiki, while promoting well being on a physical, emotional and spiritual level and recognize your body’s ability to heal itself. • Students will receive a training manual, instructions for self-treatment, and the Level I attunement. 3 classes with Lisa and Heather Thursdays, September 29 – October 13 (make-up date 10/20/16), 6–8 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $75; Material Fee: $5, payable to the instructor the first day of class
Music & Dance Adult Ballet (ages 15+)
• Do you love watching ballet dancers and have you always wanted to dance? Did you dance ballet when you were a kid and long to rekindle that love for movement? Or are you a dancer who just wants to get back into shape? This is the class for you! • A ballet class for adults with all levels of experience (No experience necessary!) • The class will offer a safe and supportive environment where you won’t find yourself comparing your technique to others.
Music & Dance • Personal Development • Come and fall in love with movement and music, while finding your strength! 12 Classes with Ara Thursdays, September 15 – December 15 (no class 11/24), 6:30-7:30 p.m. OR Saturdays, September 17 – December 10 (no class 11/26), 1:15–2:15 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $159
• No partner or previous dance experience necessary. • All ages welcome, from teen to adults, singles to couples. 2 Classes with Jim Wednesdays, November 9 & 16, 6:30–8:30 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $49
Beginner Belly-Dance I
• Learn the basic steps of two of the most popular Ballroom Dance styles quickly, so that even the “never-ever” dancers will enjoy themselves. • Enjoy learning one of the world’s most graceful and fluid dances, Waltz. • You’ll leave with instruction sheets to help remember what you’ve learned. • No partner or previous dance experience necessary. • All ages welcome, from teen to adults, singles to couples. 2 Classes with Jim Wednesdays, September 28 & October 5, 6:30–8:30 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $49
• Learn isolation techniques for dancing this mystical dance. • Tone all the areas of the body from head-to-toe. • Awaken your senses, mind, and abs and have fun while doing it. • Engage in a warm-up, classic belly-dance moves, and a cool-down. • Socks or slipper-type dance shoes are recommended. 6 Classes with Ann Tuesdays, September 13 – October 18 (make-up 10/25), 6:40–7:40 p.m. OR Tuesdays, November 15 – December 20 (make-up 1/3), 6:4–7:40 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $69
Beginner Belly Dance II
• More technique, more fluid moves and more rhythm work in our dance routines. • Create your own look and style with costuming, make-up and jewelry! • Prerequisite: Must have four (4) sessions of Beginner Belly Dance I with this instructor. 6 Classes with Ann Tuesdays, September 13 – October 18 (make-up 10/25), 5:30–6:30 p.m. OR Tuesdays, November 15 – December 20 (make-up 1/3), 5:30–6:30 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $75
Beginner Salsa & Merengue Dancing • Learn the basic steps of two of the most popular Ballroom Dance styles quickly, so that even the “never-ever” dancers will enjoy themselves. • Enjoy learning one of the world’s most sensual and joyful Latin dances, Merengue! • You’ll leave with instruction sheets to help remember what you’ve learned.
Beginner Swing & Waltz Dancing
Just ONCE Guitar for Busy People • Learn enough about playing the guitar in just a few hours to give you years of musical enjoyment. • Understand basic chords and play along with your favorite songs right away. • Bring your acoustic guitar. • For ages 13+ 1 Class with Drew Thursday, November 10 (make-up Tuesday, 11/29) 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN NLC, Danielson $59
Just ONCE Piano for Hopelessly Busy People
• Learn enough secrets of the trade to start playing any song in just one session. • Learn piano chords that allow you to play any song, any style and in any key. 1 Class with Drew Monday, November 7 (make-up 11/28), 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $59
Fundamentals of Makeup Artistry
• Whether you are a makeup enthusiast, a newbie or a budding professional, throughout this 8-week course, you will learn the basics of makeup arts for today’s trends. • Learn tips and tricks to make things easier for you, either in your own makeup application, or in applying makeup for clients, and pointers if you plan to be a professional makeup artist. • Bring your questions to class, as this class is both structured and highly interactive. • Bring a model the last day of class to show off your learned skills! NOTE: Instructor will give you a list of items needed the first day of class. 8 Classes with makeup artist Anne Mondays, October 17 – December 12 (no class 10/31) (make-up 12/19, 1/9), 6:30–8:30 p.m. Plainfield High School, Plainfield $85
Special Education Advocacy
• Increase your advocacy skills, special education knowledge, and present solutions to care for the physical, emotional and financial needs of caregivers. 1 Class with Erin Monday, October 24, 6:30–8:30 p.m. RHAM High School, Hebron $29
“I really enjoyed the summer yoga class with Carli. She is a wonderful instructor and person! All in all, my experiences with EASTCONN have been great and I hope to be able to take another class or trip in the future. Thanks for all you do!!! “–Jayne Pelletier
8 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
EASTCONN ADULT EDUCATION Citizenship • Community Education • Employment & Training GED/High School Diploma • Learn English www.eastconn.org/adultprograms g Citizenship Classes This freeclassroom-based program provides free preparation and instruction to foreign-born adults who wish to become American Citizens.
g ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) Free instruction is designed for adults who have limited proficiency in the English
language. Instructional emphasis is on listening and speaking, but reading and writing are also included. Teachers individualize instruction to meet the needs of the students.
g Family Literacy/ELL Customer Service EASTCONN partners with Head Start to provide a free family literacy program.
Options to Earn a Diploma g CDP (Credit Diploma Program) This free program offers students options for earning credits toward a high
school diploma. In addition to granting credit for classroom courses and distance learning, students (17 and older) may be awarded credits for a variety of life experiences, such as military service and various vocational trainings. An EASTCONN High School Diploma is granted upon successful completion of the program.
(General Educational Development) The CT State Diploma
This free course prepares students to pass the State of Connecticut-administered General Educational Development (GED) exam. Writing, math, science, social studies, and reading are covered in the curriculum. The course is designed to offer students, ages 17 or older, an alternative route to earn a Connecticut State High School Diploma. Students must be 17 or older to take the GED exam. Individuals, ages 17 or 18, must submit documentation that they have been withdrawn from school for at least six months prior to the exam, or that the class they entered ninth-grade with has graduated. Preparation and testing are available in English or Spanish. The new GED is a computerized exam. We offer instruction on computers to prepare you for this new testing format. La preparación y la prueba de GED está disponibles en inglés o español.
g NEDP (National External Diploma Program) This free program provides an alternative for adults who have gained skills through life
experiences and demonstrated competency in a certain area. The NEDP is an electronic portfolio assessment program that offers weekly one-on-one meetings with staff, but no classroom instruction. An EASTCONN High School Diploma is granted upon successful completion of the program. Call to make an appointment.
Windham parents and families with English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) needs will benefit from this program.
g Reading & Math Adult Basic Education Free Adult Basic Education classes are offered for students to work on basic
reading, writing and math skills. Instructional levels range from beginning to preGED readiness.
g J.E.T. (Jobs, Employment & Training) This free program is for eligible 17-24 year-olds with or without a high school
diploma. Opportunities include high school completion, free training for Microsoft Office Specialist and National Retail Foundation’s Customer Service certifications, work readiness skills and career exploration including paid internships. Start your career path today! Offered in Danielson, Willimantic, Norwich and New London
g Transitions to Post-Secondary Program This free program will help EASTCONN Adult Education students navigate the
post-secondary maze and successfully enter college or training programs that will increase their earning potential. Students will also have the opportunity to prepare for college courses with computer skills and academic college readiness courses.
Adult Education Programs are provided free of charge and are supported in part by Boards o Education for the residents of the following towns: • Andover • Brooklyn • Canterbury • Chaplin • Columbia
• Eastford • Hampton • Hebron • Killingly • Lebanon
• Stafford • Sterling • Thompson • Union • Windham • Woodstock
• Marlborough • Plainfield • Pomfret • Putnam • Scotland
EASTCONN is in compliance with Connecticut General Statutes Sec.10-73 (a)(c) and does not charge a fee for any textbooks or materials used in the mandated program areas. Individuals with a disability who require an accommodation in order to participate in any class, program, activity, or when taking the GED exam, please contact Ellen Clinesmith, 860-455-1593.
Join the growing list of CT GED graduates! The test has changed and so have our classes. Success is within reach! Call now for more information. Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed 9
Photography • Special Events / Bus Trips NEW
Creating Photographs that will Knock Your Socks Off!
• Taking photos can be more than just pointing your camera at the image and pressing the button. • In two classes you will learn the rule of three-point lighting using both studio lights and general ambient illumination. • Discover ways to produce wonderful images by exploring with your lens’ focal length, aperture, shutter speed settings and much more! Materials needed: Digital camera with instruction booklet, fully charged battery, tripod if owned. 2 Classes with photographer Peter Saturdays, October 29 & November 5, 11 a.m.–2 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $59
• Do you find Photoshop complicated and complex? Did you know that there’s an easier program? • Photoshop is one the best known digital image programs out there today. Within Photoshop there is a program called Adobe Camera Raw, which is much easier to navigate. • Join us in this 3-hour workshop to learn all about Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). • Come prepared with your images! 1 Class with photographer Peter Thursday, December 8, 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $49
Digital Photography for the Beginner
• Do you own a digital camera but are not getting the
quality images that you want? Then this class is for you!
• Basic photography will be covered in this class, includ-
ing setting the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, working with depth-of-field, selecting lenses, backing-up, simple editing, and more. • Learn camera-holding techniques, advantages of using a tripod or monopod, specific controls on your camera that mystify you, and much more! • A complete handout with diagrams and instructions will be given to all participants.
Materials needed: Camera, photos taken (on a flash drive, saved as JPG’s) 4 Classes with photographer Peter Fridays, September 23 – October 14, 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic $69
Photography: Shooting on Manual…Simple and Quick!
• Get your camera out of auto and onto manual in this 3-hour course. This seminar is designed to get you up and shooting quickly and effectively, without having to resort to auto. • Learn techniques for handling your camera, shutter speed, ISO, specific camera controls, basic composition and aesthetics, and much more! • A handout with diagrams and instructions will be given to all participants. Materials needed: Camera 1 Class with photographer Peter Thursday, November 3, 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $49
Editing Your Pictures in Photoshop’s Adobe Camera Raw
Stock Photography for Beginners
• Are you an amateur photographer who’s ready to consider the next step: what to do with your photos? You may want to consider stock photography as an extra source of income. • Learn how to shoot a variety of images and how to send them off to different stock agencies. • Discuss which images will sell, equipment needed to shoot, adding metadata to your images, how to keyword, create catalogs, types of stock agencies, and everything else necessary to set-up your own stock photography business. 3 Classes with photographer Peter Saturdays, October 8-22, 11 a.m.–2 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $59
10 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
Special Events/Bus Trips NEW
30th Annual Boston Christmas Festival
• Be smart, save money and buy direct at the 30th annual Boston Christmas Festival. • Shop at kiosks from more than 350 exhibitors at one of the largest arts and crafts festival in New England. • Enjoy leisure time at Quincy Market. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, admission to the 30th Annual Boston Christmas Festival, and tour director. November 5, 2016 $75
9/11 Museum, 9/11 Memorial & One World Observatory
• Visit the 9/11 Memorial, occupying eight of the 16-acres at the World Trade Center. While there, stop and see the 9/11 Memorial Museum, featuring a historical exhibition that tells the story of the events at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the story of Flight 93. • Experience three levels of innovation and inspiration at the One World Observatory. Enjoy a 360-degree panoramic view of the city and beyond on the 100th floor of the Observatory. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation. November 16, 2016 $149
A Day in Boston
• Everyone loves Boston! The city has something for everyone to enjoy. • Spend a day on your own, sightseeing, shopping and eating. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, maps and restaurant listings and a tour director. October 15, 2016 $69
A Day in NYC
• Visit the Big Apple and all its attractions! • Encounter the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building or watch a Broadway show. • With a style that’s unquestionably its own, New York City is where the world heads to shop. Stop by a trendy boutique, a used bookstore, gallery and so much more! • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, maps, restaurant listing and a tour director. November 12, 2016 $69
Special Events / Bus Trips
Adirondack Hot Air Balloon Festival
• Experience the 44th Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival in the Adirondacks, the oldest and largest balloon event on the East Coast. • Enjoy a relaxing lunch cruise on the Lac du Saint Sacrement, the largest ship on the inland waters of New York State. • Tour Lake George and see Millionaire’s Row, Prospect Mt. Scenic Highway, Fort William Henry and much more! • Includes roundtrip motorcoach transportation, baggage, tax and service, tour director, 2-nights at the Clarion and 2 breakfasts at the hotel. Note: All balloon events are held, weather permitting. September 23–25, 2016 $1079/double; $709/single; $1585/triple; $2109/quad; $395 child with 2 adults
An Amish Country Christmas
• Be part of a Christmas unlike any other! • Discover Penn Dutch Christmas traditions as you travel the back roads with a guide. • Enjoy the enlightening and entertaining show, “Miracle of Christmas,” at the Sight & Sound Millennium Theatre. • Sit down for a Dutch Holiday feast by candlelight at Plain & Fancy Restaurant. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, baggage handling, tax & service fee, 1 night at the Wingate by Wyndham in Lancaster, 1 breakfast at the hotel and a tour director. December 3–4, 2016 $419/single; $695/double; $965/triple; $1,285/quad; $239/child w/2 adults
A Nashville Country Christmas
• Experience the wonder and magic of the holidays in Music City at the Gaylord Opryland Resort. • Enjoy tickets to: Live Holiday Production, ICE, Country Christmas Dinner and Show, General Jackson Showboat and lunch cruise, Delta River Flatboat Ride and Treasurers for the Holidays, a craft and art show. • Includes round-trip luxury motorcoach transportation, luggage handling, taxes & fees, meals, hotel service gratuity, 2 nights at the Roanoke in Harrisburg, PA, with breakfast at the hotel, 3 nights at the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, TN, with breakfast and tour director. December 12–17, 2016 $1,679/single; $2,875/double; $3,995/triple; $5,135/ quad
Bermuda Cruise from NJ
• Board the Celebrity Summit for 8 days/7 nights while sailing to the pink sands of Bermuda! • Spend 3 days docked in King’s Warf. Enjoy shopping, beaches, craft markets, museums and much more! • 5-star cuisine meals aboard the Celebrity included and roundtrip transportation to the pier. NOTE: A valid passport for all passengers is required. April 30 – May 7, 2017 $999 twin/inside cabin; $1,019 twin/inside cabin; $1,149 twin/outside cabin; $1,169 twin/outside cabin (balcony cabins available upon request); (prices are per person and do not include tax. Tax and government fees are $203 per person.)
NOTE: A valid passport for all passengers is required. March 9-19, 2017 $1,099/Inside Cabin; $1,119/Inside Cabin; $1,399/ Outside Cabin; $1,419/Outside Cabin; $1,599/ Balcony Cabin; $1679/Balcony Cabin (prices are per person and do not include tax. Tax is $180 per person)
Boston Celtics vs. Portland Trail Blazers
• Sit back, relax and leave the driving to us! Price includes round-trip motor coach transportation (tip for the driver is not included) and ticket to the game. • Seats are loge seating again this year! • We will depart EASTCONN CLC in Willimantic at 11:30 a.m., EASTCONN Administrative Offices in Hampton at 11:45 p.m. and EASTCONN NLC in Danielson at 12 p.m. • Before the game the bus will bring us to the Prudential Center to grab your dinner or shop. • Pick up from the Prudential Center at about 4:15 p.m. • You will arrive at TD Garden with plenty of time to shop before the game (start time: 5 p.m.). • Don’t miss these rivals on the court! This game will SELL OUT quickly! Saturday, January 21, 2017 $139
Brighton Beach, NY
• Tour Brighton Beach with a local guide and experience “Little Russia.” • Experience the old country in the New World. • Enjoy lunch at Tatiana’s, named after an Odesa beauty, with an exhilarating view of the Atlantic Ocean. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation and tour director. September 10, 2016 $129
Caribbean Cruise from NY
• Board the Norwegian Gem for 11 days/10 nights and visit San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Tortola! • Enjoy the mesmerizing beaches, breathtaking landscapes and relaxation. • Transportation to NY pier is included.
11 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
Christmas by Candlelight at Old Sturbridge Village, MA
• Escape from the frenzy of the modern Christmas season and see the magical, old-fashioned, candlelit, 19th-century village. • Take a stroll through the village or ride along in a horse-drawn sleigh, listen to the carolers or feel free to join in, meet Father Christmas, sit in on a reading of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and so much more! • Sit down for a 4-course Christmas dinner. Menu items include: New England clam chowder, tossed mixed greens, traditional New England turkey dinner, cranberry-sausage stuffing, fork-mashed potatoes, pan gravy and triple chocolate cheesecake. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, tax & service, and a tour director. December 10, 2016 $149
Christmas in NYC
• Spend a day in New York City during the most wonderful time of the year! • Enjoy skating at Rockefeller Center, take pictures near the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree and don’t forget to see Santa! • Search for the perfect gift in New York City’s many boutiques, galleries or street vendors. You are sure to find something for everyone. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, maps, restaurant listing and a tour director. December 11, 2016 $69
Special Events / Bus Trips Christmas Prelude Festival in Kennebunkport, Maine
• Visit the Christmas town, voted #2 by HGTV! • Enjoy the magical holiday celebration for all generations with caroling, tree-lighting, arts and crafts, and so much more! • Relax with your 1-night stay at the Nonantum Resort in Kennebunkport. • Dine in the hotel dining room and pre-select your meal. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, 1-night stay at Nonantum Resort, 1 full American breakfast, 1 dinner in the hotel dining room, admission to the Christmas Prelude Festival, baggage handling, taxes & service charges and tour director. December 11-12, 2016 $355/single; $585/double; $839/triple, $1119/quad
Haunted Happenings in Salem, MA
Christmas Spectacular and Atlantic City
• Enjoy the sights and sounds of the holidays, while watching the Rockettes in the annual Radio City Christmas Spectacular! • For over 80 years, this show has been loved by many. Sit back and relive some of the favorite original numbers such as the Parade of the Wooden Soldiers and the Living Nativity. • Stay at the most exciting resort east of the Mississippi while in Atlantic City: Resorts Casino Hotel! • Enjoy casino gambling, fine dining, world-class entertainment and nightlife, the Atlantic City Boardwalk and shopping. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, ticket to the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City, 1-night stay at Resorts Casino Hotel, casino rebates, baggage, tax and service, and tour director. December 12-13, 2016 $315/single; $525/double
year at the Eastern State Penitentiary. • Be prepared to scream as you go through a massive haunted house within a real prison that once held criminals such as Al Capone and “Slick Willie” Sutton. • Coast down the Delaware River as you learn about Philadelphia’s history. • Enjoy lunch at the famous Hard Rock Café. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, lunch at the Hard Rock Café, and tour director. October 31-November 1, 2016 $499/single; $789/double; $1149/triple; $1535/quad; $315/child with 2 adults
Garlic Festival in Hudson Valley
• Let’s celebrate garlic! • Enjoy cooking demonstrations, arts & crafts, instructive garlic growing, and so much more at the Garlic Marketplace in the Hudson Valley. • Board the “Rip Van Winkle” on a 2-hour narrated cruise along the majestic Hudson River, as you take in the spectacular scenery! • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, Garlic Festival admission and tour director. October 2, 2016 $119
Halloween in Philadelphia
• Prepare for Terror Behind the Walls, now in its 23rd
• The show is a full length production performed by a supercharged cast of a dozen all-star male and female dancers, DJ and violinist. • Digital scenery transforms E.T.A. Hoffmann’s story of a palace of sugarplums into a romantic set in the 1980s Brooklyn. The dance work celebrates love, community and the magic of New Year’s Eve. • To view a glimpse of this sold-out performance, check out https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=7d8rmabFBEI . • Seating is Orchestra seating, rows C-K. Sunday, December 4, 2016 $49 (ticket to the show only)
Holiday Season in Atlantic City
• Continue celebrating the holiday season in Atlantic City! • Stay at the most exciting resort east of the Mississippi while in Atlantic City: Resorts Casino Hotel! • Enjoy casino gambling, fine dining, world-class entertainment and nightlife, the Atlantic City Boardwalk and shopping. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, 1-night stay at Resorts Casino Hotel, casino rebates, baggage, tax and service, and tour director. December 27-28, 2016 $189/single; $335/double; $465/triple; $619/quad
Holiday Shopping in Kittery, Maine
• Join America’s most exciting Halloween Festival in the bewitching seaport of Salem, MA. • Explore either The Salem Witch Museum (historical look at Salem’s Witch Trials) OR “Cry Innocent: The People Versus Bridget Bishop (Salem’s Old Town Hall). • Spend your free time exploring the haunted happenings around Salem. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, tickets to one of either the Salem Witch Museum OR “Cry Innocent”, a tour director, maps, restaurant suggestions and event schedules will also be provided for your own exploration. October 22, 2016 $89 with Salem Witch Museum; $95 with “Cry Innocent”; $105 for both Salem Witch Museum and “Cry Innocent”
The Hip Hop Nutcracker at the Bushnell
• The Hip Hop Nutcracker is a holiday mash-up for the entire family with a contemporary reimagining of Tchaikovsky’s timeless music.
Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed 12
• Spend the day shopping at the famous trading post, the Kittery Outlets in Maine with over 120 shops. • The streets are lined with hundreds of brand-name shops, including Nike, Ralph Lauren, Gap, Yankee Candle, and many more! • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation and tour director. November 19, 2016 $85
Holiday Shopping in PA
• Begin your holiday shopping with a weekend of bargain hunting, outlets, Farmer’s Market and much more! • Visit the Lancaster outlets, Rockvale and Tanger, with over 150 stores. You’ll be sure to find a deal here! • Go see where outlet stores began in 1970 at Vanity Fair in Reading. • Relax with a 2-night stay at the Wingate by Wyndham in Lancaster. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, baggage, taxes & service charges, 2-night stay at the Wingate by Wyndham in Lancaster, 2 breakfasts at the hotel, 1 Penn Dutch Dinner at Plain & Fancy, and a tour director.
Special Events / Bus Trips November 4-6, 2016 $439/single; $709/double; $1029/triple; $1369/quad
• Enjoy one of the most captivating stories in the Bible, Samson, filled with colorful characters, extraordinary feats of strength and amazing special effects! • Visit Amish communities; learn about the Amish culture, history and customs while on the Amish Farmlands tour. • Don’t forget to stop and visit Kauffman’s fruit farm and market, with recognized products since the early 1900s. • Enjoy some sweets at the “sweetest place on earth,” Hershey! • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, baggage, tax & service, 2 nights at the Wingate by Wyndham Hotel, 2 full American breakfasts at the hotel, 1 Penn Dutch dinner at Good n’ Plenty, 1 elegant Sunday brunch at the Hotel Hershey and tour director. October 8-10, 2016 $655/single; $1,135/double; $1,569/triple; $2,099/quad; $339/child with 2-adults
both man and machine. • Enjoy leisure time for souvenir shopping • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, one night at the Sheraton Suites in Wilmington, DE, one full American breakfast, and ticket to the Nationwide Series Race and The AAA 400 Race. October 1-2, 2016 $935/double, $599/single, $1365/triple; $1825/quad, $329/child w/adults
New England Patriots vs. New York Jets
• Enjoy your holiday season with a football game between two great franchises at the MetLife Stadium! • The MetLife Stadium is the only stadium in the NFL that is shared by two teams: the NY Giants and the NY Jets. • Game begins at 8:30 p.m. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, ticket to the game, tailgate party catered at the bus, and tour director. November 27, 2016 $229
Shop Black Friday in NYC
• Be a part of the biggest shopping day of the year! • Join us to kick off the holiday season in style in New York City, where you can find outstanding deals and sales. • Don’t want to shop? Then enjoying sightseeing in the Big Apple or grab a bite to eat. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation; maps and listings of restaurants will be provided, as well as a tour director. November 25, 2016 $69
Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
• Usher in the holiday season with the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. • Enjoy the famous balloons, floats, marching bands and as always, Santa Claus! • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation with drop off at The Plaza Hotel on 5ht Avenue and Central Park, time to explore the city at the holidays, and a tour director. November 24, 2016 $75 NASCAR Racing at Dover Downs • Known for its concrete surfaces, severely banked corners and signature trophies, Dover International Speedway continues to be a unique venue on NASCAR’s annual calendar, and is a favorite among fans and drivers alike since 1969! • With speeds in excess of 175 mph, and banking of nine degrees on its narrow straightaways, and 24 degrees in its sweeping turns, Dover has earned the nickname the “Monster Mile” for its toughness on
• Explore magnificent mansions, including the Breakers (a Vanderbilt mansion), with music, tours and holiday decorations. • Catch up on some holiday shopping at Bowen’s Wharf and Brick Market. • Spend your Sunday afternoon in historical Newport luxury. • Includes round trip motor coach transportation, admission to the Breakers featuring “Sunday Afternoon” holiday entertainment, explore the Ocean Drive mansions with a local guide, free time to shop or dine, and a tour director. December 4, 2016 $95
Radio City Christmas Spectacular
• Enjoy the sights and sounds of the holidays while watching the Rockettes in the annual Radio City Christmas Spectacular! • For over 80 years, this show has been loved by many. Sit back and relive some of the favorite original numbers such as the Parade of the Wooden Soldiers and the Living Nativity. • Enjoy leisure time shopping, dining and sight-seeing. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, ticket to the show and tour director. December 7, 2016 (includes lunch at Carmine’s); $175 December 12, 2016 (show only); $119
Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed 13
Spirit Communication with Angelina Diana
• Psychic medium, Angelina Diana comes to EASTCONN! • Angelina’s demonstration will include delivery of messages from loved ones passed, Q & A’s from the audience, and she will briefly discuss your own natural ability to connect. • For reviews, her radio aircheck readings and much more visit her Web site www.angelinadiana.com. • Doors open at 6 p.m. Socialize for the first hour, then listen to readings from Angelina. She will take questions from the audience. NOTE: Doors will close promptly at 7 p.m. No entry will be allowed, so as not to disturb Angelina’s presentation. Friday, October 14, 2016, 6–9 p.m. EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater, Willimantic $39
Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
• Experience New York City’s most famous attractions in one day! • Take a guided audio tour of The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Special Events / Bus Trips • Enjoy leisure time at “The Crossroads of the World,” Times Square. • Includes round-trip motorcoach transportation, audio tour for Liberty and Ellis Island, and tour director. October 23, 2016 $99/adult, $89 child under 17
Vermont Fall Foliage
• Experience Vermont during the most spectacular season of the year! • Board the “Green Mountain Flyer” to take in the breathtaking views during the fall foliage season. • Stop at the Vermont Country Store. In business for 60 years, they take pride in being the purveyors of the practical and hard-to-find. • Includes round-trip luxury motorcoach transportation, baggage, tax & service, 1 dinner at the New England House and a tour director. October 8, 2016 $155 Wicked in New York City • Enjoy the Grammy Award-winning performance, WICKED! • Show begins at 2 p.m. • Rear Mezzanine seating • After or before the show, choose a place to dine in NYC. Visit www.broadway.com/groups/dining/ to see some of the restaurants and make reservations. • Bus will depart EASTCONN-NLC in Danielson at 9 a.m., EASTCONN in Hampton at 9:15 a.m. and EASTCONN-CLC in Willimantic at 9:30 a.m. NOTE: For ages 8+. Children under 5 will not be admitted. Saturday, March 4, 2017 $155 (includes ticket to the show and roundtrip motorcoach transportation, tip for the driver is not included) $65 (roundtrip motorcoach transportation to NYC, tip for the driver is not included), only 10 seats available
Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
REGISTRATION IS EASY!
Community Education Registration Registration: Paid pre-registration is required for all classes. Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served, PAID basis. Classes run contingent upon PAID enrollment and may be cancelled or postponed due to insufficient registrations. If class is cancelled or postponed, you will be notified using the contact information you provide with your registration.
Mail: 322 Main St., Building #1, Willimantic, CT 06226
EASTCONN COMMUNITY EDUCATION/CTAA REGISTRATION FORM Name: (first) (last) E-mail Address: Mailing Address: Phone:
Class or Event for which you are registering
Payment: Please make checks payable to “EASTCONN Community Education.” Phone and fax registrations accepted with VISA and MasterCard only. Confirmation/Receipts: All confirmations and receipts are sent via e-mail. If an e-mail address is not provided, you will not receive a confirmation. If class is cancelled and time permits, notification is provided via e-mail. In the event an e-mail is not provided and time permits, we will contact registrants via the phone number provided at the time of registration. Refund Policy: A full refund will be issued when EASTCONN Community Education cancels a course. If desired, a voucher may be issued to use at a later date. Please allow up to four weeks from cancellation to receive credit and/or voucher. Accessibility and Accommodation Requests: If you have a disability and require an accommodation in order to participate in any program or activity, please call 860-4232591 at least two weeks prior to the class and/or event so that the appropriate arrangements may be made.
TOTAL: Materials Fees: Some classes involve extra costs to pay for materials. Materials fees, which are listed in the course description, are not included in the registration fee unless otherwise noted and should be paid directly to the instructor.
How did you hear about EASTCONN’s Community Ed/CTAA Classes? c E-mail c Newspaper c Radio c Online c Other
Payment Options: Your registration must be paid in full to confirm your seat in any class/event. c Cash
c Check #:
c Charge Card: c
Personal checks must display current address, phone, and driver's license information.
VISA Exp. Date (mo/yr)
Name as it appears on card:
Weather Cancellations: If EASTCONN and/or the school or site at which your class takes place is closed due to inclement weather, your class will not meet. Should bad weather develop during the day, class cancellations will be announced by late afternoon. Adult Education classes on pages 4 & 5 of this catalog will be cancelled on WVIT NBC30 TV; or, listen to radio stations 98.3 FM, 97.5 FM, WINY 1350 AM, or WILI 1400 AM.
Register and pay with credit card online at www.eastconn.org/communityed or, mail to EASTCONN Community Learning Center, 322 Main St., Bldg. 1, Willimantic, CT 06226
Weather-related cancellations for all other Community Education classes will be listed on the home page of the EASTCONN Web site at www.eastconn.org, and on the Community Education Facebook page.
In addition, registrants acting on the personal advice of a Community Education instructor do so at their own risk. By enrolling in a Community Education course, each registrant agrees that he/she waives any and all claims against EASTCONN, its agents and employees with respect to the above.
Disclaimer: As a service to the community, EASTCONN offers Community Education courses in various areas of interest. These courses are conducted by persons experienced in their respective fields, but who may have certain perspectives and biases about their subject matter to which EASTCONN, its agents and/or employees do not necessarily subscribe. Therefore, it should be understood by those enrolling in Community Education courses that EASTCONN and its employees and agents, as a general matter, do not endorse the opinions, personal advice or political perspectives of Community Education instructors.
14 Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed
EASTCONN Community Education 376 Hartford Turnpike Hampton, CT 06247
************ECRWSS************ POSTAL CUSTOMER
Non-Profit Organization US POSTAGE PAID WILLIMANTIC, CT 06226 PERMIT #86
Community Education Class Sites CANTERBURY • Canterbury Elementary School 45 Westminster Road, Camterbury
PLAINFIELD • Plainfield High School 105 Putnam Rd., Central Village
CHAPLIN • Parish Hill High School 304 Parish Hill Rd., Chaplin
POMFRET • Pomfret Community School 20 Pomfret St., Pomfret Center
HAMPTON • EASTCONN Administrative Offices & Conference Center 376 Hartford Tpke, Hampton
WILLIMANTIC • EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater 896 Main St., Willimantic
HEBRON • RHAM High School 85 Wall St., Hebron • RHAM Middle School 25 RHAM Road, Hebron
• EASTCONN CLC (Community Learning Center) Windham Mills, 322 Main St., Willimantic
KILLINGLY • EASTCONN NLC (Northeast Learning Center) 562 Westcott Rd., Danielson
Find us on www.facebook.com/eastconncontinuingeducation
Community Learning Center Moving Nov. 2016 to Tyler Square, Willimantic
Fall Dance Recital
Saturday, December 17 at 4 p.m. & Sunday, December 18 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $15. Join us in celebrating our fall semester together. CTAA Enrollment:
• Students are strongly encouraged to register at least one week in advance. • All classes must have a minimum enrollment to run. • If your child has special needs, please notify CTAA at least one week in advance and we will do our best to accommodate him/her. • CTAA reserves the right to request the withdrawal of any student whose behavior is deemed inappropriate or harmful to anyone in the facility. Students are expected to regularly attend all classes for which they are registered.
CTAA Cancellation & Refund Policy:
• A student who misses a regularly scheduled class will not receive a refund. • Refunds for a student’s cancellation of a class or workshop will only be given for medical reasons and require a physician’s note, submitted within 30 days of the last scheduled class. In this case, if a student withdraws from a course during the semester, credit can only be given from the date the student notified CTAA in writing. • In the event of inclement weather, classes may be cancelled. Please call 860-465-5636 x1 for a list of cancellations. You may also check on 1400 AM WILI or i98.3 FM radio, or NBC30 Connecticut TV.
There is a built-in make-up class included in tuition, by charging for one less class than the number of class meetings.
Contact CTAA at 860-455-1601, or 860-423-2591. It is the policy of EASTCONN that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise be discriminated against under any program because of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
Register online: www.eastconn.org/communityed