EASTCONN 376 Hartford Tpke. Hampton, CT 06247
Courses & Events
Class Sites HAMPTON • EASTCONN Administrative Offices & Conference Center 376 Hartford Tpke, Hampton
Dear Community Members: We are extremely pleased to offer our Summer 2014 catalog! For over 20 years, our Adult and Continuing Education programs have offered a variety of convenient, affordable and high-quality programs that are designed to enrich and benefit the lives of our community. If you can’t make it to a classroom, please check out our exciting instructor-facilitated Ed2Go online courses, which are informative, enjoyable, convenient and highly interactive. Feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or concerns. I look forward to an exciting 2014 and hope to see you all on our fabulous bus trips and in our classrooms!
Online Classes Learning on the go! With the availability of portable computing devices, make the most of your time and check out our more than 250 Ed2Go offerings! EASTCONN Continuing Education is proud to offer instructor-facilitated online courses that are informative, fun, convenient and highly interactive any time of the day or night. Our six-week courses are project-oriented and include lessons, quizzes, hands-on assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links and more. Visit www.ed2go.com/eastconn/ to find the complete catalog of 250+ courses. Please note!! Online classes require you to register securely online using a MasterCard, VISA, or American Express. Ed2Go classes are not refundable.
• Beginner’s Guide to Getting Published • Writing Effective Grant Proposals • Photoshop CS6 for the Digital Photographer
• Word and Excel 2010
KILLINGLY • EASTCONN NLC (Northeast Learning Center) 111 Connecticut Mills Ave., Danielson • Killingly School of Music 108 Westcott Rd., Danielson • Nia Connecticut 736 Hartford Turnpike, Dayville PLAINFIELD • Plainfield High School 105 Putnam Rd., Central Village PUTNAM • Family Center for Natural Wellness 174 Providence St., Putnam
Richard Tariff Director of Adult Programs 860-455-1562; firstname.lastname@example.org
Some Ed2Go Topics:
HEBRON • RHAM High School 85 Wall Street, Hebron
• Creating WordPress Web Sites • LSAT, GRE and SAT Prep • Start Your Own Small Business • Speed Spanish
WILLIMANTIC • EASTCONN’s Capitol Theater 896 Main St., Willimantic • EASTCONN CLC (Community Learning Center) Windham Mills, 322 Main St., Willimantic • Grasshopper Arts & Dance Studio 1125 Main st. 2nd floor Willimantic • Studio #5 32 Young St., Willimantic The Air Line State Park Trail – North is largely frequented by equestrians, hikers, cross-country skiers and mountain bikers. Start at the Goodwin State Forest Conservation Center off Route 6 in Hampton for the best option. From here to Route 44 in Pomfret, the Air Line Trail is quite scenic. The trail stretches farther north and east, all the way to the borders of Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Parking and Trail Access The Goodwin State Forest Conservation Center is on Potter Road off of Route 6 in Hampton. There is parking available approximately 200 yards from the trail. CT Audubon Society 218 Day Rd, Pomfret Center, CT 06259
Registration Register at www.eastconn.org/ continuinged or call 860-779-3770. Paid pre-registration is required for all classes. Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served, PAID basis. Classes run contingent upon PAID enrollment and may be cancelled or postponed due to insufficient registrations. If class is cancelled or postponed, you will be notified using the contact information you provide with your registration. Payment: Please make checks payable to “EASTCONN Continuing Education.” Phone and fax registrations accepted with VISA and MasterCard only. Confirmation/Receipts: All confirmations and receipts are sent via e-mail. If an e-mail address is not provided, you will not receive a confirmation. If class is cancelled and time permits, notification is provided via e-mail. In the event an e-mail is not provided and time permits, we will contact registrants via the phone number provided at the time of registration. Refund Policy: A full refund will be issued ONLY when EASTCONN Continuing Education cancels a course in the form of a voucher good for one (1) year from the issue date. If you decide not to take a class, there will be no refund. No refunds apply to one-day classes or bus trips. Please allow one month from cancellation notification to receive your voucher. Accessibility and Accommodation Requests: If you have a disability and require an accommodation in order to participate in any program or activity, please call 860-779-3770 at least two weeks prior to the class and/or event so that the appropriate arrangements may be made.
ARTS, CRAFTS & HOBBIES
L L A B E ON S S BA EA S
• • • • •
Join us for a Friday night Red Sox game (or two)!
Sit back, relax and leave the driving to us. Price includes round-trip motor coach transportation and ticket to the game. Bus will depart EASTCONN CLC in Willimantic at 3:45 p.m., EASTCONN in Hampton at 4 p.m. and EASTCONN NLC in Danielson at 4:15 p.m. Grab a bite to eat before the game or shop the local shops. The game begins at 7:10 p.m. The bus will depart immediately following the game.
Choose both or one of the games below!
Boston Red Sox vs Cleveland Indians Fee: $89 Date: Friday, June 13, 2014
Only 4 single seats available! Boston Red Sox vs Toronto Blue Jays Fee: $89 Date: Friday, September 5, 2014
Pottery Technique Sampler • Learn different hand-forming pottery techniques.
• Be introduced to the pottery wheel. • All levels of experience are welcome, from the beginner to the more advanced! • Material fees include clay, glaze and kiln firing. 6 Classes with Jean Fee: $69; Material Fee: $35, payable to instructor Dates: Wednesdays, June 4 – July 9, 7–9 p.m. Site: Studio #5, Willimantic
COMPUTERS Intro to Blogging! • You can blog! • Learn to discover your own blog, step by step. • Begin blogging your message to the world or write a private blog for family and friends. • We will demystify blogging. • Leave prepared to contribute to your own blog. 2 Classes with Jeanne Fee: $65; Materials: Laptop, Google account Dates: Tuesdays, August 5 & 12, 6–7:30 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
Buy Tickets at www.eastconn.org/continuinged 12
• Engage in a fun pottery class for all levels of experience. • Learn how to make stepping stones, wall mounted sculpture, bird feeder, plant stacks and a frog house. 6 Classes with Jean Fee: $69; Material Fee: $35, payable to instructor Dates: Saturdays, June 7 – July 19 (no class July 5), 11 a.m.–1 p.m. Site: Studio #5, Willimantic
Argentinean Tango Dance for Beginners
• Learn the fundamentals of this South American rhythm which can be as romantic, sweet, and relaxing as you want or it can be as exciting, animated, and sharp as you desire! • Take away the principles of dance partnership el abrazo (the hug), caminatas (walks), ochos adelante y atras (forward and backward eight figures), left and right turns, and the crossed or parallel system. • Sign up with a dance partner, or if you don’t have one we’ll find one for you! 8 Classes with Oswaldo Fee: $45 Dates: Thursdays, June 12 – August 7 (no class 7/3), 7:15–8:15 p.m. Site: Grasshopper Arts & Dance Studio, Willimantic 1
Bachata Dance for Beginners
SPECIAL EVENTS/BUS TRIPS
• Did you get excited about the TV contest, “Dancing with the Stars,” and wish that you were a part of it? Or perhaps you want to become a social dancer and surprise your friends, family and outsiders with your new stylish Latin steps. Then this class is for you! • Learn how to master spicy footwork from Latin rhythms, such as the Bachata. • Discover why Bachata music has become a hit in the past 10 years in the U.S. • Sign up with a dance partner, or if you don’t have one, we’ll find one for you! 8 Classes with Oswaldo Fee: $45 Dates: Thursdays, June 12 – August 7 (no class 7/3), 6–7 p.m. Site: Grasshopper Arts & Dance Studio, Willimantic
Hot Salsa and Cool Swing! • Look hot learning Salsa dancing and learn to act cool learning Swing!
• Have fun with two nights dancing two of the most popular of today’s ballroom dances. • Learn just three steps over four beats (Salsa) and four steps over 6 beats (Swing) will get you moving to some of the greatest Latin music and jazz from around the world – and looking great doing it. 2 Classes with Jim Fee: $40 Dates: Tuesdays, July 8 & 15, 6:30–8:30 p.m. Site: Capitol Theater, Willimantic
Secrets of Swing, Waltz and Merengue for Beginners
• Reveal the secrets of ballroom dancing and have FUN learning 3 of the most popular ballroom dances: Swing, Waltz and Merengue for beginners! • Learn a complete routine in each dance style and have song lists to help you continue your learning at home. • Join us whether you’re adults or teens, singles or couples. No partner or previous dance experience necessary. 2 Classes with Jim Fee: $40 Dates: Tuesdays, August 5 & 19, 6:30-8:30pm Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING NEW Customer Service
• Learn important skills that will help you interact more positively with your co-workers and the customers you serve. • Participants may also sit for the National Retail Foundation’s Customer Service certification test for an additional fee.6 Classes 6 Classes Fee: $95 Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays, July 22 – August 7, 5:30-8pm Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
Blue Man Group in Boston • Enjoy a spectacle that combines music, comedy and technology. • Our seats are the Full View seating so you won’t miss a thing as they take up the stage. • Show begins at 2 p.m. • Family-friendly event. • Bus will depart EASTCONN CLC in Willimantic at 11 a.m., EASTCONN in Hampton at 11:15 a.m. and EASTCONN NLC in Danielson at 4:15 p.m. • After the show choose a place to eat at the Prudential Center Date: Saturday, August 23, 2014 Fee: $84 Note: Blue Man Group is recommended for ages 8+, no one under age 5 will be admitted.
Nature Photography Made Easy!
Photographing the Night Sky
• Develop your photographic eye in pursuit of capturing various themes in nature. • Hands-on field trip will teach you the basics of how to “see” your subjects. • Learn how to maximize your photographic tools. • Cover topics such as good light, scouting your site and best angles, proper techniques in the field, do’s and don’ts, tips and tricks, lens selection, filters, SLR camera techniques, composition and much more. • Instructor is available for immediate feedback in the field to help you take your photography to the next level. 1 Class with Photographer Ron Fee: $35; Materials: 35mm digital camera, DSLR and tripod highly recommended Date: Sunday, June 8 (rain date 6/22/14), 5–8 p.m. Site: The Airline State Park Trail – North • Do you enjoy gazing at the night sky -- our Cosmos? • Grab a chance to explore what our Cosmos offers us each night. We may catch anything from the moon and planets to meteors, comets, the northern lights and so much more! • Go beyond stargazing and learn the basics of astrophotography. • Receive in-class instruction, using lecture and visuals, to build a foundation and prepare for the hands-on field trips. You will learn the how, what, when and why? Astrophotography is a unique and specialized form of photography that requires long exposures and low-light conditions while using just an ordinary 35mm DSLR, lens and tripod. • Enjoy TWO outdoor field trips that will teach you the experiential techniques involved for creating good astro images by using your equipment properly for shooting the night sky! 3 Classes with Photographer Ron Fee: $85 Dates: Thursday, July 17, 6–9 p.m.; Fridays, August 8 & 15 (outdoor field trip), 7:30-9:30 p.m. Locations: July 17th, classroom night: EASTCONN NLC, Danielson August 8 & 15, field trip nights: CT Audubon Society
More courses on www.eastconn.org/continuinged 10
Math and Reading Brush-up
• Do you have your high school diploma but need more preparation for college or a job? • Refresh your math, reading and writing skills to prepare for your future. • Understand everything from fractions to algebra, reading comprehension and so much more! • Check your current skills, plan and move forward to achieve your goals. • Access an additional online site to practice the skills at your leisure. 10 Classes Fee: $65 Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays, July 8 – August 7, 5:30–8 p.m. Site: EASTCONN NLC, Danielson
ServSafe Certification • Improve your job marketability! Employers hold people with this certification in high regard. • Every food service operation is required by the State of Connecticut to employ at least one Qualified Food Operator. • Learn Connecticut’s requirements to become a qualified food operator. • Groups requiring a private session should contact EASTCONN’s Employment, Training and Continuing Education specialist at email@example.com. 3 Classes with Jim Fee: $85; Material Fee: $100, payable to instructor Dates: Tuesdays, June 3 – 17, 5–8 p.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
• Learn the techniques to make accounting the most powerful tool you have in managing projects, people and improving profits. • Get a clear understanding of the mechanics of accounting and why the science of accounting is so effective and meaningful. • Leave with many techniques from existing general accounting reports and records already being used in most companies. • Understand and discuss: entries, debits, credits, balance sheets, budgets, controlling profits and expenses, finding good or bad trends in numbers, having a morning “highlights dashboard” to look at early each day in order to spot problems brewing over the past 24-hours. • Learn how to prepare and utilize reports that stop problems early on. 1 Class with Tony Fee: $75 Dates: Saturday, August 16, 9–11 a.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
FUN CLASSES FOR KIDS Beginner Guitar for Children • Learn to read and play notes on the staff, how to play notes from tablature and chord strumming. • For ages: 7 – 17 5 Classes with Kevin Fee: $45; Materials: Rentals available for $15 Dates: Mondays, July 7 – August 4, 1:15–2:15 p.m. Site: Killingly School of Music, Danielson
Beginner Violin for Children • Learn to read and play notes on the staff as well as the fiddle technique. • For ages: 5-17 5 Classes with Kevin Fee: $45; Materials: Rentals available for $15 Dates: Mondays, July 7 – August 4, 12–1 p.m. Site: Killingly School of Music, Danielson
MIND & BODY Gentle Yoga for Every “Body” • Focus on breath technique and modifications for all bodies in this yoga class. • Alternate between poses that strengthen and those that release stress. 6 Classes with Sherry Fee: $40 Dates: Mondays, June 2 – July 7, 6–7 p.m. OR Mondays, July 21 – August 25, 6–7 p.m. Site: The Family Center for Natural Wellness, Putnam
Just for Abs (P90X)
• Engage in focused, controlled movements to enhance your abdominal muscles. • 30 minutes for a minimum of 340 repetitions. • The concept and intensity of techniques is based on P90X style. 8 Classes with John Fee: $49 Dates: Tuesdays, June 17 – August 12, 6:30–7 p.m. OR Tuesdays, August 26 – October 14, 6:30–7 p.m. Site: Nia Connecticut, Dayville
Looking for instructors in... Cooking • Barre Exercise • Computer Software/Programming & More Submit by June 30, 2014 for fall! Applications: www.eastconn.org/continuinged
Choosing & Using Canon Lenses
• Are you confused and overwhelmed when it comes to choosing lenses for your Canon 35mm DSLR camera? • Learn what different lenses do (Canon makes over 70 lenses in their extensive EOS system) and when they are used. • Understand how the choice of your Canon EOS lens will impact your images and how your lenses can be used to capture your subjects more creatively. • Take away the jargon, benefits, features and technologies of the Canon EOS lens, as well as extenders, extension tubes, lens accessories and much more! 3 Classes with Ron Fee: $85 Dates: Tuesdays & Thursday, July 22, 31 & August 7, 6–9 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
Digital Photography Made Easy! • Learn 35mm photography by learning just two camera modes! • Understand the basic recipe called “the photographer’s triangle.” • Better your photography by understanding the technical and artistic methods. 1 Class with Photographer Ron Fee: $35; Materials: 35mm digital camera Date: Wednesday, June 11, 6–9 p.m. Site: EASTCONN, Hampton
Introduction to the Point & Shoot Digital Camera • Recently purchased (or thinking about getting) a digital camera? • Get a hands-on understanding of what all the buttons, dials, symbols and menu items mean. • Learn step-by-step how to use and understand your camera’s abilities. • Receive visual examples and an instructor by your side to answer all of your questions. 1 Class with Photographer Ron Fee: $35; Materials: 35mm digital camera Date: Tuesday, August 12, 6–9 p.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
EASTCONN DRIVER EDUCATION Offering classes for teens and adults: 38-hour Full Program with behind-the-wheel instruction g 8-hour Drug/Alcohol Driving Safety Class g And more g
Call 860-428-7455 • www.eastconn.org/DriverEd 9
Estate Planning • Learn about establishing and prioritizing estate planning goals. • Understand the impact of federal estate taxes, setting up wills and trusts and many other strategies with a professional in the field. 1 Class with Metlife staff Fee: $15 Date: Wednesday, August 20, 6–7:30 p.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
• Understand a basic overview of investing. • Learn the difference between saving and investing, including asset class and investment styles, bonds, stocks, and types of mutual funds. 1 Class with Metlife staff Fee: $15 Date: Thursday, July 24, 6–7:30 p.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic OR Date: Tuesday, July 22, 6–7:30 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
Retirement Income Planning • Understand the steps you need to create an income strategy. • Learn how to manage five common retirement risks. 1 Class with Metlife staff Fee: $15 Date: Tuesday, August 5, 6-7:30 p.m. Site: EASTCONN NLC, Danielson OR Date: Thursday, August 7, 6–7:30 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
Savvy Social Security for the Baby Boomers
• Join this informative one-night seminar covering the basics of Social Security. • Understand strategies for maximizing your benefits. • Learn important factors to consider in deciding when to apply for benefits; when it makes sense to delay benefits, how to coordinate benefits with your spouse; how to minimize taxes on Social Security benefits; and how to coordinate Social Security with your other sources of retirement income. 1 Class with Charles Fee: $15 Date: Tuesday, August 5, 6:30-8 p.m. Site: RHAM High School, Hebron
Sign up for classes online, www.eastconn.org/continuinged or by calling, 860-779-3770. 8
• Join us for PiYo™ Strength, a unique athletic blend of strength training and core conditioning based on the principles of pilates and yoga. • Challenge yourself with combined moves from effective choreography that will make you sweat. • Engage with energy, power and rhythm to some amazing music. • Take away increased overall core strength and greater stability, on your way to sculpted abs. • You will need a yoga (sticky) mat and water. This is a barefoot class. 6 Classes with Stephanie Fee: $55 Dates: Thursdays, June 5 – July 17 (no class 7/3), 5:45–6:30 p.m. OR Thursdays, August 7 – September 11, 5:45–6:30 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
• There’s a reason HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is HOT, and Tabata Interval Training is the new hit! For years, we’ve been focusing on calories burned during exercise, but new research reveals that we should focus on what happens AFTER exercise is over. • Join Tabata Interval workouts that are short in duration and designed to boost post-exercise caloric-burn so your metabolism keeps burning more calories long after the exercise is over. • Engage in eight drills done in 20-second intervals, followed by 10 seconds for recovery in each class. Each Tabata drill is four minutes long. • You will need a yoga mat, hand towel (we use it for class) and water. 6 Classes with Stephanie Fee: $55 Dates: Thursdays, June 5 – July 17 (no class 7/3), 6:45–7:30 p.m. OR Thursdays, August 7 – September 11, 6:45–7:30 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
• Are you ready to party yourself into shape? • Enjoy an exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, Latin-inspired, calorie-burning dance fitness-party. • Engage in an easy-to-do, effective and totally exhilarating fitness experience.
Zumba in Dayville 7 Classes with John Fee: $40; Walk-in: $8 per class Dates: Wednesdays, June 11 – July 23, 6:40–7:40 p.m. OR Wednesdays, August 6 – September 17, 6:40–7:40 p.m. Site: Nia Connecticut, Dayville Zumba in Willimantic 7 Classes with Oswaldo Fee: $40; Walk-in: $8 per class Dates: Tuesdays, June 17 – July 29, 5-6 p.m. OR Tuesdays, August 19 – September 30, 5–6 p.m. Site: Grasshopper Arts & Dance Studio, Willimantic 5
MUSIC Just ONCE Guitar for Busy People • Learn enough about playing the guitar in just a few hours to give you years of musical enjoyment. • Understand basic chords and play along with your favorite songs right away. • Bring your acoustic guitar. • For ages 13+ 1 Class with Elias Fee: $59 Date: Monday, July 14, 6–8:30 p.m. Site: RHAM High School, Hebron
Just ONCE Piano for Hopelessly Busy People • Learn enough secrets of the trade to start playing any song in just one session. • Learn piano chords that allow you to play any song, any style and in any key. 1 Class with Aaron Fee: $59 Date: Saturday, July 26, 9 a.m.–12 p.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL GROWTH Buying and Selling on e-Bay • Receive guidance on becoming an eBay entrepreneur. • Enjoy this interactive, hands-on format and become proficient with: Setting up an eBay seller’s account, selling formats, estimating value of potential products, taking pictures and listing products, getting paid, packaging and sending, paying fees, providing and receiving feedback and becoming a valued member of the eBay community. • Suggestions for attendees: It is helpful if the learner has a checking account or credit card for paying fees prior to attending the first class. If users are serious, they should also acquire a scale to weigh the product type they are selling and a means of taking pictures, but those will be available for the class sessions. 6 Classes with John Fee: $90 Dates: Thursdays, June 5 – July 17 (no class 7/3), 6–8 p.m. Site: Plainfield High School, Plainfield
Sign up for classes online, www.eastconn.org/continuinged or by calling, 860-779-3770. 6
Coin Collecting • This class is for everyone, from longtime collectors to beginners. • Learn about Civil War tokens, Comstock Lode, Branch Mints, Southern Gold and more. • Discover the best places to purchase your collection. • Understand how to determine condition and rarity of your coins. 2 Classes with Victor Fee: $20 Date: Tuesdays, July 15 & 22, 6–8 p.m. Site: EASTCONN NLC, Danielson
Efficient Management • Business seminar to help managers understand the important steps needed to be their most effective. • Receive clearly written procedures to be used at your firm the very next day! • You will learn quick fixes to age-old managerial problems. • Ideal for: Current managers; Those who expect to become a supervisor or manager in the next few years; College students who wish to get a good overview of business management problems (and solutions) before graduating. Our Instructor has had 40 years’ experience in business in managing projects and people of all backgrounds and educational levels with great success (receiving many manager-of-theyear awards in his career). 1 Class with Tony Fee: $75 Date: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 9–11 a.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
Essential Oils for Daily Living • Learn about the healing properties of essential oils. • Understand how essential oils can lift your mood, boost the immune system and relieve pain and other benefits. • Review approximately 10 different oils and how they can be used in your everyday life – from diffusing in the air, application to the body and household cleaning! • Leave the class with take-home samples! 1 Class with Carleen Fee: $20; Material Fee: $10, payable to instructor Date: Tuesday, July 22, 6:30–8:30 p.m. Site: EASTCONN CLC, Willimantic
EASTCONN Capitol Theater Arts Academy Serving the community with arts classes
• Fun and affordable dance, theater, creative writing, and visual arts classes for children ages 3-18, in a convenient, safe, well-lit, downtown Willimantic location. • Musical Theater Program (Brigadoom), July 7-August 9, 2014, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., for students entering grades 4-12. • Register: www.eastconn.org/ctaa or call 860-465-5636 x1023.