Page 1

2013 - 2014

STUDENTS GUIDE Degree Universidad Camilo Jose Cela


Student Service Department

INDEX 1. Introduction 6 1.1. Presentation 7 1.2. Location 7 1.3. Courses at EAE 8 1.4. Hours 8 1.5. Services 9 1.5.1 Study room 9 1.5.2 Welcoming non-resident students 9 1.5.3 Professional Career Service 9 2. Documentation required before starting the programme 10 3. Double UCJC-EAE degree 12 4. Responsibilities of national and international students at EAE 13 5. Living in Madrid 15 5.1. General introduction 15 5.2. Information of interest 15 5.3. Shopping basket 16 5.4. Financial services 17 5.5. Travel, trips, leisure and tourism 17 5.6. Travelling around madrid 21 5.7. Cost of living 21 5.8. Culture in Madrid 27 5.9. Night life 27 6. Accommodation in Madrid 28 7. Medical assistance 30 8. Safety 30 9. Legal aspects and procedures 32 10. Registration 34 11. Addresses of interest of eae 35



AcadEMIC YEAR 2013-2014

01 INTRODUCTION The Student Guide is the result of a collection of information by EAE’s Department of Student Care (known as the DAA (“Departamento de Atencion al Alumno”) in Spanish), based on the experience of previous years and comments from our national and foreign students and former students. The informative contents of this guide are up to date, but changes in this information can occur that may not be inherent and will not be the responsibility of our institution.



EAE Business School is an institution founded in 1958. Its mission is to meet the education requirements of society and people in the economy and management sectors so as to educate existing and future leaders, executives and professionals on an international level. EAE is renowned nationally and internationally thanks to the quality of its teaching staff, its programmes, which have been adapted to the reality of today’s companies, and its internationality, attracting students of more than 40 nationalities every year.

EAE is located in 43th Menéndez Pidal street, in the financial center of Madrid, very near to Paseo de la Castellana and Paseo de la Habana, also close to Plaza de Castilla. It is possible to arrive to EAE by public transport (buses, underground and train).

Metro • Line 9. Station: Duque de Pastrana. Exit: Mateo Inurria • Line 1. Station: Plaza de Castilla. Exit: Plaza de Castilla • Line 10. Station: Plaza de Castilla. Exit: Plaza de Castilla • Line 9. Station: Plaza de Castilla. Exit: Plaza de Castilla

We thank in advance those who, with their comments, have helped us to improve the quality of the information and to provide a better service to our students.

BUSES • Line 14. Bus stop: Paseo de la Habana-Menendez Pidal • Line 70. Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Paseo de la Habana • Line 107: Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Paseo de la Habana • Line 129: Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Paseo de la Habana

We give all of our students a warm welcome

• Line 174: Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Avenida del Recuerdo

Department of Student Care

Are also close to EAE all the lines with a bus stop in Plaza de Castilla: 5, 14, 27,42, 49, 66, 67, 70, 80, 107, 124, 129, 134, 135, 147, 149, 150, 173, 174, 176, 178, SE 704.

Cercanías • C1, C2, C7, C8 and C10. Station: Chamartin ro sa de Ía











a el r af

t ei



l in o




e z pida


me né nd

avenida elec

l a cató lica




1.5 SERVICES Study Room

EAE has courses in the following areas:

The school has a study room, with computers connected to the wireless that can be used throughout the whole building provided that it doesn’t interrupt lectures or the other students. You will be given the access code on the first day of lectures.

MBA Programmes • MBA Full-Time • Executive MBA

The opening hours are 08,30 to 22,00 Monday to Friday. On Saturdays it is open from 09,00 to 14,00.

Master Programmes - Full Time • Human Resources Management

• Financial Management

Welcoming non-resident students

• Marketing & Commercial Management

One of the functions of the DAA is to welcome students. Their main goal is to provide orientation and advice to students about various topics, such as residence permits to study in Spain (for both EU and non-EU citizens), official recognition of qualifications etc.

• Project Management • Corporative Communication

Master Programmes – Part Time & Weekend • Human Resources Management • Financial Management

It is important to point out that any question, worry or request the students have at any time can be brought to the DAA where they will be informed and assisted by someone there.

• Marketing Management

Professional Career Service

• Commercial & Sales Management

The main activity of this department is the management of job and work experience opportunities offered by companies and recruitment agencies to students and former students of EAE. It facilitates the relationship between companies and the students / former students in such a way that both parties can find recruitment solutions by means of a job portal that connects companies with students and former students interested in finding work. For more information about the service you can download the Professional Careers Manual on: ofertas.html

• Account & Management Control • Supply Chain Management

Postgraduate Programmes • Business Management • Marketing Online & Digital Strategy • Management Control • Account Management

Master Programmes in english • Master of International Business (MIB)

The student can ask any question by sending an email to

1.4 HOURS The school opening hours are: Monday to Friday 08,30 to 22,00 Saturdays 09,00 to 14,00


02 DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED BEFORE STARTING THE PROGRAMME The DAA manages all documentation given to EAE by the students to complete their academic transcript. To academic transcript and opt for the double degree programme (if you comply with the requirements established by UCJC) it is essential that: Before you start the programme you must send the following documentation (to the email doc. A. DNI or PASSPORT B. PHOTOGRAPH: passport size or in JPEG format C. CV: 3 files in digital format with the following: Two photographs to be given to the Secretary in the first ten days of the course as well as the following original documents and two certified copies:

2.1. STUDENTS WITH A QUALIFICATION FROM AN EU UNIVERSITY • Original qualification certificate and a sworn translation into Spanish (if the certificate is in a language other than Spanish). • Original college transcript and a sworn translation into Spanish (if the certificate is in a language other than Spanish).

2.2. STUDENTS WITH A QUALIFICATION FROM A FOREIGN UNIVERSITY • Original qualification certificate and a sworn translation into Spanish (if the certificate is in a language other than Spanish). • Original college transcript and a sworn translation into Spanish (if the certificate is in a language other than Spanish).

UNIVERSITY • Original qualification certificate and a sworn translation into Spanish (if the certificate is in a language other than Spanish). • Original college transcript and a sworn translation into Spanish (if the certificate is in a language other than Spanish). In the case of university studies carried out in countries of the EU or countries that are part of the EEA, it is not necessary to legalise the certificate but it is necessary to translate the certificate if it is in another language other than Spanish, as per article 36.1 of Law 30/1992 of the 26th November, from the legal regime of public administration and of the common administrative procedure. Who can perform a sworn translation: • A sworn translator (known as a “traductor jurado”), authorised or registered in Spain. You can access a list of practising sworn translators on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Tablon+de+anuncios/Intérpretes+Jurados.htm • Any diplomatic office or consulate of Spain abroad. • The diplomatic office or consulate of Spain of the country where you studies. B.2.STUDENTS WITH A QUALIFICATION FROM OTHER COUNTRIES • Original qualification certificate (or certified copy). • Original college transcript (or certified copy). In the case where your university studies have been carried out in a non-EU university, you need to provide documentation that proves its legalisation by one of the following methods: 1. The Spanish embassy or consulate in the country where the university is situated.

1. The Spanish embassy or consulate in the country where the university is situated.

3. The Andres Bello Agreement.

3. The Andres Bello Agreement.

Since the majority of our programmes have a double degree (one from EAE and another from UPC), it is essential that the qualifications obtained outside of Spain, from whatever university or institution, are legalised before being presented to EAE. During the first month of lectures the student must present the original documents of their university qualification and transcript at the DAA of EAE. The deadline for handing these in is three months after starting the programme. The certificates or the copies of the Non Spanish University Qualifications presented to EAE must be legalised by the Spanish embassy or consulate in the country of issue. The legalisation of academic documents depends on whether the country of issue is part of the Hague Convention, the Andres Bello Agreement, the European Union Council or it must be done through the Spanish diplomatic office in that country. • Countries in which the directives of the European Union Council are applied when it comes to recognition of qualifications • France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, UK, Ireland, Denmark, Greece, Portugal, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Liechtenstein. • Also Switzerland, by bilateral agreement with the EU. • From the 1st of May 2004, also: Cyprus, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Malta, Poland and Czech Republic. Legalisation is not required for documents issued in these countries. • Legalisation in countries part of the Hague Convention

For those students with university qualifications obtained from a non-EU university it is necessary to provide documentation that proves its legalisation by one of the following methods:

2. The Hague Apostille.



Legalisation is the authentication of a document by the relevant authorities in the country of origin of the document and it is necessary for both the validation of university studies and the official recognition of qualifications.

2. The Hague Apostille.

The Hague Apostille is a note (in the form of a seal) added to the foot or margin of a document to validate it to be used in countries that have signed the convention (and vice versa). The apostille is necessary, for example, for procedures to do with citizenship, university qualifications etc. The following countries have signed the Hague Convention: Germany, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brunei-Darussalam, Bulgaria, China (only the regions of Macao and Hong Kong) , Cyprus, Columbia, Croatia, Dominica, El Salvador, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, USA, Estonia, Russian Federation, Fiji, Finland, France, Greece, Grenada, Hungary, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Israel, Italy , Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia,

Malawi, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Niue, Norway, New Zealand, Holland, Panama, Portugal, United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, Czech Republic, Romania, Samoa, St. Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Seychelles, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Surinam, Swazi, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Venezuela, Yugoslavia. This step must be carried out in the country of origin of the candidate or participant of the programme. • Diplomatic legalisation (in countries not part of the Hague Convention) In the case of countries not part of The Hague Convention or any other agreement, the documents must be legalised diplomatically, meaning: 1. Recognition by the Ministry of Education of the country of origin (Ministry stamp) of the signatures in the original document when it is a document accrediting studies carried out (qualifications and certificates of studies). Recognition by the authorities of the corresponding department of the country of origin of the signatures in the original document when it is a document accrediting any other circumstance (e.g.birth certificates, proof of citizenship). 2. Legalisation of this recognition in the country of issue by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin (Ministry stamp). 3. Recognition of the signature of this aforementioned legalisation by a Spanish diplomatic office in the country of origin (Embassies and Consulates of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs). All documents issued by foreign consulates in Spain should be legalised by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. • Countries part of the Andres Bello Agreement: The countries that are part of this agreement are Bolivia, Columbia, Cuba, Chile, Ecuador, Spain, Panama, Peru and Venezuela. The documents must be legalised diplomatically (the process eliminates the last step in ordinary legalisation). (When the country is also part of The Hague Convention, the method established by The Hague can be used as it is easier). You must present yourself to the following places in this order: 1. The Ministry of Education in the country of origin for qualifications and study certificates. 2. Corresponding ministry for birth certificates and proof of citizenship documents, in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where these documents were issued. 3. Diplomatic office or consulate of Spain in this country.


03 DOUBLE DEGREE UCJC - EAE Once the student has obtained all of the credits that make up the programme, the process of issuing the double degree will begin automatically, as long as the student complies with the requirements established by UCJC and EAE. This process has a different system and duration depending on the qualification in question, so: • For the EAE qualification, it is not necessary to carry out any further steps on your part and you will receive it about one year from completion. We will contact you at that time to arrange for you to collect it at the school or for us to send it to your address if necessary. • For the UCJC qualification (official), you must pay the corresponding charge to UCJC for its issue and you can do this via the university website ( and the timescale to receive it is between three and four years after payment. If you need something to prove your credentials before this, you can apply for a college transcript of your programme in the following way: • For EAE certificates, by emailing or by going to the academic coordination office. • For ECJC certificates, through the UCJC website (www. (only when the aforementioned charge has been paid).

EAE QUALIFICATIONS 1º Legalise signatures NOTARIA PRADA Bravo Murillo, 297- 1ST floor Telephone: 91 579 44 4

04 RESPONSIBILITIES OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OF EAE All students, whether national or international, must respect EAE rules. On the first day of lectures, the programme director will provide you with the academic rules as well as the rules governing coexistence. The student must respect these rules in order to follow the programme in a suitable manner.

4.1 ATTENDANCE All lectures given at EAE require attendance therefore the students must sign an attendance sheet found in the lecture rooms. The sheet will be collected over the course of the lecture and the students cannot protest the absence of their signature once it has been collected. The lecturer of the module or any other person delegated by the Academic Director can distribute a list during any lecture, to cross check the signatures with those present at the lecture.

4.3 ONLINE EAE CAMPUS On the first day of lectures the DAA will provide the student with the access information for the Online EAE Campus. The student must consult this platform daily since the updated information of their programme and of the institution can be found published here. The Online EAE Campus will be a means of communication for the different activities of EAE.

If a student has signed the attendance sheet but is not present at the time the list is distributed in a lecture, it is considered to be a minor infraction. Habitual reoccurrence by the student will result in a serious infraction, meaning the student will not be entitled to be assessed for that module. In the case of forging your own signature or somebody else’s the responsibility lies with the student who forged the signature.

4.2 RESPECT Out of respect for the lecturer and the other students, it is necessary to be punctual and to respect the predetermined timetable for each module. The exams, reports and cases. The students, both national and international, must keep themselves informed regarding the dates on which they need to present any reports, exams, exhibits etc. (among others) corresponding to the programme or the modules they are taking.






In the last few years, Madrid has significantly expanded its tertiary activities, which already occupies two thirds of the active population.

Madrid, the capital of Spain, is a cosmopolitan city that combines ultra-modern infrastructures and economic, financial, administrative and service centres with an immense cultural and artistic heritage, which has been handed down through the centuries. Madrid is the capital of its province and of the Madrid autonomous region. With a population of approximately 3,155,359 (without taking into account a floating population of one million) and with a metropolitan area of 5,843,041, it comes 45th on a worldwide scale, sixth in Europe and first in Spain. It plays a key role in the banking and industrial sectors, the latter mainly in the south periphery where large textile, food and metal companies are based. The Manzanares river flows through the city, a tributary of the Jarabe river. With its cosmopolitan and multiethnic nature, Madrid is characterised by its intense culture, art and lively night life.

BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES Despite the current trend of moving production centres to industrial estates on the metropolitan periphery, the city of Madrid is still the second manufacturing centre in the country, coming just behind Barcelona.

Instructions for non-resident students -

SPORTS The main sport in Madrid, just like the rest of Spain, is football. The two most important teams of the city are Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, even though Rayo Vallecano is also well-known. Basketball is also popular. The two most representational teams of the city, both in the ACB league, are Real Madrid and Estudiantes. Madrid has excellent facilities for all types of sport. It has hosted and will continue to host countless international competitions; it has been a finalist for the 2012 Olympics and is preparing for its candidature for 2016.

Websites of interest: F.C. Real Madrid Club Atletico de Madrid Real Canoe Natación Club Club Natación Moscardó Real Federación Española de Natación

MADRID Inhabitants (approx.) 5.500.000 Altitude 650 m s/m

Distances National Avila: 115 km Toledo: 71 km Segovia: 87 km Cuenca: 167 km Salamanca: 212 km Valencia: 352 km Sevilla: 462 km Barcelona: 621 km


International: Lisboa: 644 km París: 1260 km Roma: 2086 km Londres: 1725 km Bruselas: 1556 km Berlín: 2360 km Atenas: 4029 km Estocolmo: 3163 km Copenague: 2539 km Viena: 2444 km Oslo: 3133 km Helsinki: 3523 km Dublin: 2259 km

Sports Centres Dance Classes: Formacion/Baile_y _Danza/ Gymnasiums in Madrid: Federación de Golf de Madrid Club triatlón Aguaverde Club Alpino Español Senderismo (trekking)


5.3 SHOPPING There are plenty of supermarkets in Madrid. Here are some that have the most branches in the city centre: Día (low-cost chain), Mercadona, Consum, Lidl, Caprabo, Sabeco. In general it is more economical to buy food in this type of supermarket, as opposed to smaller establishments. Whether you are looking for the latest in fashion and design, modern or traditional ceramic, bestsellers or secondhand books, small traditional shops, open-air markets or modern shopping centres, Madrid has it all. From classic to extravagant, you can find the perfect present for your loved ones or for yourself! Opening hours: the majority of shops and shopping centres open all day from 10 am to 9,30 pm. Traditional shops open from 10 am to 2 pm and from 4,30 pm to 8,30 pm. Sales: generally they start the second week of January until the end of February in the winter and from the 1st of July until the end of August in the summer. Paying: the norm is to pay in cash or by card (the latter requires passport or ID card). Tax Free: non-EU residents can get VAT back on purchases over 90.15 EUR. Madrid Shopping Tour: a minibus trip with a guide around the main shopping areas of the city and includes discounts in various establishments. Las Rozas Village Shopping Tour: consists of an excursion for three hours to the best outlet in the city. For more information: +34 915416321. Madrid Card: this card can be purchased from the Tourist Office (Oficina Municipal de Turismo) and, in addition to appealing discounts in shops, restaurants, shows and leisure centres, you are entitled to free entrance to the 40 main museums in the city or a guided tour around Madrid de los Asturias.

5.4 BANKING Some of the main shopping centres:

Banks in Madrid have the following opening hours:

Centro comercial ABC Serrano

Monday to Friday 8:30 a 14:00 h

Centro comercial Arturo Soria Plaza Centro comercial Jardines de Serrano El Corte Inglés Centro Comercial La Esquina del Bernabeu Centro Comercial Moda Shopping Centro Comercial Dreams el Palacio de Hielo Other establishments. • El Corte Inglés. A chain of large stores all around Madrid (Arguelles, Nuevos Ministerios, Goya…). Here you can find all kinds of clothes brands, electrical appliances, stationery, supermarkets… • Casa del Libro. C/ Gran Vía (metro Gran Vía). Here you can buy all types of books, in various languages. • Some of the zones with a higher concentration of shops, mainly clothes shops, include Calle Princesa, Preciados, Goya, Serrano, Calle Fuencarral and Bravo Murillo. • El Rastro. (Sundays and holidays). Ribera de Curtidores s/n (metro La Latina, Lavapiés and Embajadores). This is a market that sells all kinds of things, both new and secondhand.

Saturdays 8:30 a 12:00 h It is worth pointing out that many banks close on Saturdays in Spring and Summer.

POST OFFICE Monday to Friday 9:00 a 14:00 h

5.5 TRAVEL, HOLIDAYS, LEISURE AND TOURISM The modes of transport for getting to and from Madrid are by air, by train, by bus, by car or by private transport. Here is some information to help you find your way.

By Air Barajas International Airport, which has four terminals: T1, T2, T3 y T4. To find out which terminal you need to check in at you can consult the AENA website or ring Customer Care on +34 902 404 704. How to get to and from the airport: Metro: Line 8 (Nuevos Ministerios-Aeropuerto T4) links the city with Barajas International Airport. It takes 20 minutes to get to T4 and 12 minutes for the rest of the terminals. Look up prices here. Bus: • Bús Exprés from airport: 24-hour service from Atocha (daily) and Cibeles (nightly). With stops at T1, T2 and T4. • Line 101 from Canillejas (T1, T2, T3). • Line 200 from Avda. de América (T1, T2, T3). • Line 204 from Avenida de América (T4). • Intercity line 822 Coslada-Airport (T1, T2, T3). • Intercity line 827 Tres Cantos-Metro Canillejas (T4). • Intercity line 828 Universidad Autónoma – Feria Grounds (T4). • Shuttle bus: special free services connecting the four terminals. Every five minutes from 6,30 am to 11,30 pm and every 20 minutes from 11,30 pm to 1,50 am and every 40 minutes from 1,50 am to 6,30 am. Taxi: in order to take a taxi you need to be at the correct taxi rank. You should ignore random taxi drivers that offer lifts inside the terminals. The taxi driver will set the metre running at the start of the journey. The normal rate between the airport and the centre of Madrid is about 20 EUR. From T4, it will cost about 30 EUR. Car: Barajas airport is connected to the main slip roads and ring road of Madrid by a highway. You can get to the airport several ways: • From the M-40: Exit 8. Toll-road M12 by the tunnel (T4) Exit 9A. By the M14 (T1, T2, T3) and the M13 (T4). • From the A-2: Exit 12. By the M14 (T1, T2, T3) and the M13 (T4). Exit 12. Toll-road M12 (T4)


• From the M-11: Exit 7. Toll-road M12 (T4). Exit 9. By the M13 (T4) Final M-11. By the M14 (T1, T2 y T3) and the M13 (T4). • From the R-2 Madrid-Guadalajara: Exit 3. By the M12 (T4). • From the A-1 Burgos: Exit 17. By the M12 and the M-13 (T1, T2, T3, T4) Exit 17. Toll-road M12 and exit 7 (T4). Parking Barajas airport has more than 10,000 parking spaces. There are seven public parking areas: P1, P2 and P4 (located in terminals T1, T2, T3 and T4) with 2,392, 4,437 and 7,795 spaces respectively. Express parking for short stays has 39 spaces and the VIP parking for T1, T2, T3 and T4 (spaces must be reserved by calling +34 902 102 020), and a long-stay car park with 1,655 spaces.

TRAIN Madrid boasts an impressive railway system that enables access to the city from several parts of Spain as well as easy transport within the city. The two main stations are Atocha and Chamartín, handling medium distance, long distance, high speed and commuter trains. Chamartín also handles international trains to France and Portugal. Medium Distance The medium distance trains enable access to the city from any point of Spain. The stations of Chamartín (Agustín de Foxa, s/n) and Atocha (Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, s/n ) handle the arrival and departure of trains from all major Spanish cities on a daily basis. High Speed – Medium Distance (Avant and AVE Commuter) The railway system in Spain belongs to the state-owned company RENFE. On their website ( you can find timetables, destinations and prices of the different routes. This company also controls the commuter train system.

bUs Generally the bus is the cheapest mode of transport in Spain. The Mendez Alvaro station is the busiest station in the city. It is hectic at any time of the day. Along with this, the Avenida de America station is the first point of reference for many tourists setting foot in Madrid. Sur de Madrid Station Méndez Álvaro, 83. Metro: Méndez Álvaro (L6). Telephone: (+34) 91 468 42 00. MAIN COMPANIES: • Alsa. (+34) 902 42 22 42. Their network of buses covers the majority of Spain. They also travel to several cities in Morocc0 and in some European countries (Germany, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Slovakia, France, Great Britain, Holland, Italy, Luxembourg, Moldavia, Poland,


Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, Switzerland and Ukraine). • Socibus. (+34) 902 22 92 92. Travels to and from Seville, Cadiz, Cordoba, Huelva and Jerez de la Frontera. • Auto Res. (+34) 902 02 09 99 Offering routes from Madrid to Badajoz, Benavente, Cáceres, Castellón, Cuenca, Mérida, Orense, Pontevedra, Salamanca, Valencia, Vigo, Zamora and Lisbon (Portugal). Avenida de América Station Avenida de América, 9. Metro: Avenida de América (L4, L6, L7, L9). • Several intercity lines linking Madrid to its surrounding area. • Continental-Auto. (+34) 34 902 33 04 00. Covers Bilbao, San Sebastián, Vitoria, Burgos, Santander, Pamplona, Logroño, Soria and Granada. • Alsa. (+34) 902 42 22 42. Several buses leaving this station to 12 Spanish cities, such as Barcelona, Huesca, Lérida, Tarragona and Zaragoza. Intercity buses From Aluche, Conde de Casal, Moncloa, Plaza de Castilla, Plaza Elíptica, Príncipe Pío and Ronda de Atocha intercity buses link Madrid city to the rest of the towns within the autonomous community and the central part of the country. For example Alsa offers a MadridToledo service from Plaza Elíptica and La Sepulvedana, Madrid-Segovia from Príncipe Pío.

CAR Although the law requires you to have an international driving permit, in practice a national license is sufficient to rent a car in Spain. Agencies usually request that the driver is at least 21 years of age, as well as a deposit payment. Civil liability insurance is included in the rental price, but the user can take out full cover insurance as well. Fuel is at the cost of the driver. Madrid has six main access roads to the city: from the N-I to the N-VI (the N means National Highway). The city also has two ring roads, the interior is known as the M-30 and the exterior is knows as the M-40.

A-1. Madrid-Irún. Autovía del norte

alternative route to get to the west of Andalucia.

From here you can get to Plaza de Castilla, where you will find the famous towers that make up the Puerta de Europa. It is the road that you need to take if you want to visit Sierra Norte de Madrid.

Provinces it passes through: Toledo, Cáceres and Badajoz.

Provinces and communities it passes through: Segovia, Burgos and the Basque Country. It is the road that joins Madrid to the French border. Towns it passes through in Madrid: El Molar, San Agustín de Guadalix, Circuito del Jarama, Algete, San Sebastián de los Reyes and Alcobendas. A-2. Madrid-Barcelona. Autovía de Aragón Goes through the Corredor de Henares and from there you can access Madrid airport from the city. Provinces it passes through: Guadalajara, Soria, Zaragoza, Lleida, and Barcelona. Towns it passes through in Madrid: Coslada, San Fernando, Torrejón de Ardoz and Alcalá de Henares. A-3. Madrid-Valencia. Autovía de Valencia This is also the way to go to get to Albacete, Alicante or Murcia. Provinces it passes through: Cuenca and Valencia. Towns it passes through in Madrid: Vicálvaro, Rivas Vaciamadrid, Arganda del Rey and Villarejo de Salvanés. A-4. Madrid-Sevilla. Autovía de Andalucía This is the road that joins the capital with the south of the country and connects with other routes to access Málaga, Cádiz or Almería. Provinces it passes through: Toledo, Ciudad Real, Jaén, Córdoba, and Sevilla. Towns it passes through in Madrid: Getafe, Pinto, Valdemoro, Ciempozuelos and Aranjuez. A-5. Madrid-Badajoz. Autovía de Extremadura This road goes as far as the Portuguese border and is an

Towns it passes through in Madrid: Alcorcón, Móstoles and Navalcarnero. A-6. Madrid-A Coruña. Autovía de A Coruña Passing the town of Villalba this turns into the toll road AP-6 up until the town of Adanero in Avila. Strangely, it has a reversible lane on the road just kilometers from the city to cope with heavy traffic. Provinces it passes through: Segovia, Ávila, Valladolid, Zamora, León, Lugo and A Coruña. Towns it passes through in Madrid Pozuelo de Alarcón, Majadahonda, Las Rozas, Torrelodones and Villalba.

GETTING AROUND MADRID Metro and Bus The Madrid Metro system is one of the oldestestablished metropolitan railways in the world. The Metro is, without a doubt, the quickest way to go anywhere in the city. To avoid making mistakes and taking unnecessary detours, it is best to pick up a railway map (free at the ticket windows). The Metro runs from 6 am to 1,30 am every day of the week. The bus is an ideal way to discover the city. However you should know that traffic jams are frequent in Madrid especially during peak hours. The timetable varies depending on the line number but in general it is from 6 am or 7 am to 11pm or 12 pm. After this time, the service is replaced by a half-hourly service that leaves from Plaza Cibeles. For some reason these buses are called “buhos”. In Madrid the metro and bus system operate in conjunction with each other and the tickets you buy (single way, 10-trip ticket, monthly ticket) are valid for both. These tickets can be purchased in the metro stations (automatic ticket machines or ticket office) and in tobacconists. To find out the prices click on: www. or call the information line +34 91 552 59 09.

Highways, motorways and radial roads to access the capital. Madrid is the central point of all connections by highway in Spain. In Puerta del Sol at the foot of the Real Casa de Correos you will find Kilometre Zero, a point at which all routes connecting the city with the rest of the country starts. A dense network of motorways flows through the city, including the six access roads to the national highways.


Metro: Line 9. Estación Duque de Pastrana. Exit at C/Mateo Inurria.

for every kilometre driven. There are surcharges for airport, train / bus station, luggage, night time, holidays.

Line 1. Estación Plaza de Castilla. Exit at Plaza de Castilla. Line 10. Estación Plaza de Castilla. Exit at Plaza de Castilla


Line 9. Estación Plaza de Castilla. Exit at Plaza de Castilla



91 405 55 00


91 447 51 80

Line 14. Bus stop: Paseo de la Habana-Menendez Pidal.

91 445 90 08

Line 70. Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Paseo de la Habana Line 107. Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Paseo de la Habana Line 129. Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Paseo de la Habana Line 174. Bus stop: Mateo Inurria-Avenida del Recuerdo You can also take any bus that has a stop at Plaza de Castilla: 5, 14, 27,42, 49, 66, 67, 70, 80, 107, 124, 129, 134, 135, 147, 149, 150, 173, 174, 176, 178, SE 704. Cercanías: C1, C2, C7, C8 Y C10. Bus stop: Chamartin.

Getting around on a bike Unfortunately Madrid is not the best city for cycling around. The traffic is quite bad even when driving so it would be much worse on a bike. It may seem far-fetched but the only day you should consider cycling in Madrid is on Sunday or on holidays when the city is deserted. But going to the mountains is a different story. You can take a commuter train with your bike, hop off and start cycling.



Madrid, just like most European capital cities, is expensive. For example, for a student to live in this city, it costs approximately 700 to 850 EUR per month. This would cover accommodation and food, depending on the type of accommodation you want.

Madrid, the capital of Spain since 1562, is also the geographical centre of the Iberian Peninsula. As you would expect, it is an enormous city. Perhaps the most surprising aspect is the old town, which was built in the era when the Habsburgo dynasty reigned over Spain and therefore it is known as “Madrid de los Austrias”.

Maybe the biggest advantage to living in Madrid is the wide range of possibilities, which means it is still possible to eat, go out etc. relatively cheaply. Here is a list of products and their prices.



Commuter trains

Metro / bus ticket


If you live on the outskirts of the city, the best option is to take a commuter train. The Red Ferroviaria de Cercanías de Renfe covers most of the suburb towns. Here are the services offered:

Cinema ticket


Beer in a bar


Set meal of the day

10 €

Load of bread


• C-1 Alcalá de Henares/Alcobendas – S. Sebastián de los Reyes

It would be impossible to get bored of Madrid’s culture given its richness and variety. Not a day goes by that there isn’t some concert, play, recital or exhibition on offer. Madrid is also known for being an exceptionally lively city; its bustling nightlife (with pubs, cafétheatres and discos open late at night) has made it famous for many years now. The best way to stay up-to-date on cultural events is the “Guía del Ocio”, a weekly publication listing all of the cultural activities of the week as well as information about the museums, shops, restaurants etc.

• C-2 Guadalajara/Atocha/Chamartín • C-3 Atocha/Aranjuez • C-3a Pinto/San Martín de la Vega • C-4 Atocha/Parla • C-5 Móstoles El Soto/Atocha/Fuenlabrada • C-7 Alcalá de Henares/Chamartín/Príncipe Pío/Tres Cantos/ Colmenar • C-8 a Atocha/El Escorial • C-8 b Atocha/Cercedilla • C-9 Cercedilla/Cotos • C-10 Villalba/Príncipe Pío/Atocha/Chamartín/Tres Cantos Prices for commuter trains vary depending on the area. Rates can be looked up on: or on +34 91 580 19 80. Taxi Taxis in Madrid are white with a maroon diagonal stripe and the coat of arms of the town on the side. They drive around with a green light turned on if they are available and you can simply hail them.


The minimum fare is about 1.05 EUR which increases




For art lovers, Madrid offers endless possibilities. Its museums and galleries house all types of artistic trends, from classic pieces to more modern and transgressive art. Most museums in Madrid offer student rates to those who present their Student Card. Here is a list of contact information for the museums. More information about each one can be found online:

The options are wide and varied for theatre in Madrid. The spectator can enjoy the theatre in all sorts of venues, whether you want classic or alternative. Here is a list of theatres and alternative halls.





Fernández de los Ríos 42 (metros Quevedo y Argüelles)

91 448 16 27




Centro de Arte Reina Sofía

Sta. Isabel, 52 (metro Atocha)

91 467 50 62


Paz 11 (metro Sol)

91 531 83 11

Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida

Pº de la Florida, s/n. (metro Príncipe Pío)

91 542 07 22


Alcalá 20 (metro Sevilla)

91 532 06 16

Lázaro Galdiano

Serrano 122 (metro Nuñez de Balboa)

91 561 60 84


Pez 10 (metro Noviciado)

91 521 58 27

Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales

Pza. de las Descalzas, s/n (metros Sol y Callao)

91 542 00 59

Bellas Artes

Marqués de Casa Riera 2 (metro Banco de España)

91 532 44 37/8

Museo Municipal

Fuencarral, 78 (metro Tribunal)

91 588 86 72


Príncipe 25 (metros Sevilla y Sol)

91 429 62 97

Museo Arqueológico Nacional

Serrano, 13 (metros Colón y Serrano)

91 577 79 12/19

La Latina

Pza. de la Cebada 2 (metro La Latina)

91 365 28 35

Museo de Cera

Pº de Recoletos, 41 (metro Colón)

91 319 26 49

Nuevo Apolo

91 369 06 37

Museo Nacional del Prado

º de Prado, s/n (metros Atocha y Banco de España)

Pza. Tirso de Molina 1 (metro Tirso de Molina)

91 330 28 00


Pza. de Oriente s/n (metro Ópera)

91 516 06 06

Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza

Pº del Prado, 8 (metro Banco de España)

91 369 01 51


Jovellanos 4 (metro Sevilla)

91 524 54 00

Palacio Real

Bailén, s/n (metro Ópera)

91 547 53 50

Centro Cultural de la Villa

Plaza de Colón s/n (metro Colón y Serrano)

91 575 60 80

Templo de Debod

Jardines del Pº del Pintor Rosales (metros Ventura Rodríguez y Pza. de España)

91 409 61 65


Pza. de Murillo 2 (metro Atocha)

91 420 30 17

Madrid boasts large expanses of green areas: a total of 33 million square metres divided among 43 city parks. Here is information about some in which you can escape the noise of the city and enjoy nature.

Real Jardín Botánico

• Parque del Buen Retiro (metros Retiro and Ibiza) The Parque del Retiro is the ideal place to stroll in Madrid, to escape the hustle and bustle of the city for a few hours. Every Sunday, crowds of both locals and tourists become impromptu spectators of all sorts of shows (street theatre and puppet shows, singer-songwriter concerts, dance shows, juggling and mime shows). Retiro is without a doubt the most important historical park in the city. This huge park is also home to one of the most significant cultural events of Madrid: the book fair, which is held every year in June.




• Campo del Moro and Jardines de Sabatini (metro Príncipe Pío) The Campo del Moro has had the same name since 1140 when the Aben-Jucef army camped on the hillside to besiege and attack the fortress Viejo Alcázar. Later Felipe II bought the land and converted it into the beautiful park it is today. These days, the Campo del Moro is the Royal Palace gardens, along with the Sabatini Gardens. There are two monumental fountains: Los Tritones and Las Conchas. The Jardines de Sabatini were created by the Italian himself in the place where the stables of the Royal Palace were in olden times. • Jardín Botánico (metro Atocha) These botanical gardens were created in 1744 on the initiative of Carlos III, who is often referred to as “the best mayor of Madrid”. With a neo-classical design, the garden contains more than 30,000 plant species from all over the world. • Parque del Oeste (metros Moncloa and Argüelles) Some believe this is the best landscaped garden in the city. It is certainly the ideal park for taking a stroll. The Casa de Campo cable car leaves from here. Designed at the beginning of the 20th century, the park is arranged based on the British or naturist garden system, with large green areas, and trees and paths that adapt to the lie of the land. In the lower part, you will find La Rosaleda where an international rose contest is held every year in the months of May and June.






Scientific, Literary and Art Library

Pº del Prado, 21

91 429 17 50

National Library

Pº de Recoletos, 20

91 580 78 00

Madrid Planetarium

Parque Tierno Galván s/n, (metro Méndez Álvaro)

91 467 34 61

Amusement Park

Casa de Campo (metro Batán)

91 463 29 00

Cable Cars

Pº de Pintor Rosales s/n (metro Argüelles)

91 541 74 50

Moncloa Lighthouse

Metro Moncloa

Puerta del Sol (metro Sol)

Podría considerarse el centro neurálgico de la ciudad

There are endless options when it comes to cinema in Madrid. Many of the theatres are found on Gran Vía, where you will also come across some of the oldest cinema theatres in Madrid as well as on Calle Fuencarral. These theatres screen movies of all genres: commercial, Spanish, original language, classis and even 3D. On the other hand, it is also good to know that there is a “Día del Espectador” (discount day), which means that one day the tickets will be sold at a reduced price. It is usually on Wednesdays although this can vary from one cinema to the other. Often the first showing will also be at a reduced rate for young people, as long as they can present their student card. In any case, the best way to stay informed about what movies are screening and the relevant discounts is to consult the entertainment section of the newspapers or in the Leisure Guide. Apart from the traditional cinemas, which can be found all over the city, we think it is worth mentioning Filmoteca, Kinépolis and Imax cinemas as well.




La Filmoteca- CINE DORÉ

Santa Isabel 3 (metro Antón Martín)

91 549 60 11

Imax Madrid

Meneses s/n. Junto al Parque Tierno Galván (metro Méndez Álvaro)

91 467 48 00


MUSIC There is plenty of music on offer in the city; pop-rock, blues, jazz, singersongwriting, flamenco and salsa. Many of these concerts take place in cafes, or in pubs, and therefore the entrance is included in the price of a drink. In the case of larger concerts, tickets can be bought from FNAC or in branches of the music chain Madrid Rock.

BULLFIGHTING Although it is a controversial topic in many countries, bullfighting is very popular in Madrid. The Plaza de Toros Monumental de Las Ventas bullring plays a leading role in bullfighting season, which coincides with the San Isidro Fair (during the whole month of May). Both critics and supporters should make an effort to go to the Las Ventas bullring to bear witness to one of the best Spanish traditions. The bullring itself, built in 1934, deserves a special mention. With its Neo-Mudéjar style, Las Ventas has always been closely linked to the birth of modern bullfighting. It has also become a symbol of the city and in 1994 it was declared a Heritage of Cultural Interest with the category of Artistic and Historical Monument.

MADRID HOLIDAYS San Isidro On the 15th of May the city celebrates its patron saint, San Isidro. He is praised by many people from Madrid for his simplicity and humbleness as well as his kindness and tolerance. It is without a doubt the liveliest holiday in the city. To celebrate it the people go in procession to drink the miraculous water of the hermitage and take part in a large festival, with food and drink stands. For this holiday a multitude of cultural events are organised, from recitals and concerts to exhibitions and, of course, bullfighting. Virgen de la Almudena Almudena is the patron saint of people from Madrid. Her image appeared on a tower of the Arab city wall of La Vega, where she probably hidden by the Christians. On the 9th of November 1083, a battle took place in which Alfonso VI defeated the Muslims. This victory by the Christians over the Muslims is attributed to Almudena, hence her feast day is celebrated on the 9th of November. Virgen de la Paloma

5.8 NIGHT LIFE Perhaps the best thing about Madrid is that it is able to satisfy all tastes. The Madrid night life (“La Movida Madrileña) is no exception. The night life is somewhat nomadic in nature; people tend to go from one place to another, and never stay in the one bar all night. Another distinctive aspect of night life in Madrid is that the places stay open till the early hours of the morning, which is sure to surprise some people. The night life in this city – also known as the European Capital of the Night – is divided into zones. Most of the premises are bars or pubs and entrance is free. The busiest zones are: ALONSO MARTÍNEZ Y BILBAO - Lots of bustling tapas bars, breweries, pubs and cafes. The liveliest areas are streets Campoamor, Fernando VI, Santa Teresa and Barquillo. Bilbao, on the outskirts of Fuencarral and San Vicente Ferrer, there are several places with live performances such as the famous Pachá disco. SANTA ANA Y HUERTAS - From Puerta del Sol to Plaza de Santa Ana, passing through Calle Huertas, you will find the liveliest zone. It is an area frequented by tourists and students and is considered one of the most emblematic points of Madrid nightlife. ARGÜELLES, MONCLOA, CIUDAD UNIVERSITARIA - In this area you will find a multitude of places to eat, dance and have a chat. OTRAS ZONAS - Santiago Bernabéu zone - Malasaña zone (more alternative) - Chueca zone (all types of establishments)

On the 15th of August, the Virgen de la Paloma is celebrated, which is one of the most authentic holidays in Madrid. During the festivities the people, dressed in “castizos” (19th century costumes), dance the “chotis” (typical dance of Madrid) accompanied by traditional barrel organs. Although Paloma is not an official patron saint of the city, the people hold her very close to their hearts.



06 ACCOMMODATION IN MADRID EAE does not own any apartments or residences and does not get involved nor does it commit to finding accommodation for its students. The school will provide the students with any information they need but will not be held responsible for any problems arising from the same.




Silken Puerta Castilla

91 308 58 01

Hotel Silken Puerta Castilla Madrid ·

Pº Castellana,191,



T.34 914 531 900 ·

In Madrid, it is very common to rent a room in a shared apartment. The price of a room is usually about 350 to 400 EUR per person (depending on whether expenses are included or not). The apartments are normally fully furnished. 91 345 59 58 BRASIL

We suggest three options for finding accommodation in Madrid:

WEBSITES 91 455 15 60



1. Look for accommodation in student residence. There are several student residences in Madrid where you can find an individual or shared room. Depending on the residence, it can have a separate or communal toilet, kitchen and sitting room as well as other additional services. The prices depend on these criteria. 2. Look online or with rental agencies. There are many agencies online that offer accommodation services: they will help you to find a room or put you in contact with property owners. You can also look for a room online in the classified sections of websites. 3. Through contacts at EAE Business School Finally if you plan to come to Madrid directly to seek accommodation, we suggest you arrive two weeks before the course starts.


HOTELS Rafaelhoteles Orense C/ Pedro Teixeira, 5

Segunda mano

T.91 597 15 68

F.91 597 12 95


Confortel Pio XII Avda. Pío XII, 77

Campus Anuncios

28016 · Madrid Tel. (+34) 902 42 42 42

Compartir Piso Madrid Flatmate

EAE is located at Calle Menedez Pidal 43, in the centre of the financial district of Madrid, in the surroundings of Paseo de la Castellana-Paseo de la Habana, very close to Plaza de Castilla.

Alojamientos universitarios

You can get to EAE by public transport (bus, metro and commuter train) Habitamos

CampusRed tudiantes.php



07 MEDICAL ASSISTANCE Procedure EU Students: EU students must request the E-128 form in the Social Welfare office in their country of origin, which will allow them to be included in the general regime of the Spanish Social Security, with similar entitlements as Spanish citizens. Non-EU Students:

08 SAFETY Madrid is considered to be a safe city, where taking a walk through the streets can be extremely pleasant. However, it is very important to read the following recommendations regarding safety since following these simple rules can help you avoid nasty situations. These situations can happen in any big city and the recommendations are not intended to scare you.

On arriving in Madrid. • Don’t let your luggage out of your sight at any time; keep it with you and within reach. • Only change the money you require for getting to your accommodation and avoid handling large sums of money in front of other people.

Non-EU students must take out a health insurance policy in their country of origin or with a Spanish company on arrival. If the policy has been set up in the country of origin of the student, it must be translated and recorded that the student is covered in the event of illness or an accident.

• If you are going to stay at a hotel for a few days and you have items of value, make use of the safe and don’t leave anything of value in the room.

Next, once the previous step has been done, they must go to the Health Centre of their district with their passport and proof of “empadronamiento” (registration with the Town Hall). Addresses to some of the Madrid health centres can be found in the last part of this guide.

• If you are travelling with a car, don’t ever leave it with luggage, cameras, CD players etc. on view inside, even if it is just for a short period of time.

Complete information about the rest of the town offices, opening times and steps carried out in each can also be found on the Madrid Town Hall website ( For information on telephone numbers and addresses of other health centres, we advise you to call Citizens Information on 010.

If you are travelling by car

• Don’t ever leave anything on view inside your parked vehicle. • Don’t leave personal documents inside the car. • Keep the doors locked when driving through the city.

During your stay in Madrid • Be wary of some street vendors selling flowers or other articles, who may try to mislead you and steal from you. • Don’t carry around more money than you need. • Don’t ever put your wallet in the back pocket of your trousers. • If you are in a bar, disco, etc. don’t leave personal items unattended as they can be stolen. • Avoid walking alone on small streets especially at night. We advise you to take a taxi, which is not very expensive in Madrid. If you walk with someone, you are usually pretty safe.



09 LEGAL ASPECTS AND Procedures APPLICATION FOR NON-EU STUDENT RESIDENCE VISA IN THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN To apply for the student visa, the person must go to the Spanish Consulate in the country of origin to find out what documents they need to present and the procedure they must follow. Here we will set forth some of the documents required by the Spanish Consulate, which can vary depending on the country and the specific case of the person in question. • Requirements: - Original valid passport. - Certificate of enrollment (in our case at EAE). - Medical certificate issued by the official authorities in your home country. - Three passport photos in colour. - Proof of economic resources to cover the entire stay. This can be done by depositing the funds in a Spanish bank account, traveller’s cheques in the name of the applicant, a document certifying that the student is the beneficiary of a grant or student loan, a letter stating that the parents, family members or someone else will be financially supporting the student for the entire stay or in another way expressed by the consulate. - Consular charges for each country.

Note: The requirements can vary depending on the country in which the process is carried out and on each particular case, therefore it is very important to find out the requirements of the Spanish consulate in your own country. Important: Procedures carried out at Spanish consulates are slow and in many cases the person will have to go to the consulate more than once. We suggest therefore that you find out the requirements and the procedure and if you need to make an appointment you should give yourself plenty of time (at least five months in advance).


More information on: First Steps for Non-EU Students (Students from outside of Spain and the EU):

EU AND NON-EU STUDENT RESIDENCE PERMIT EU student residence permit According to the latest Spanish regulations relating to Immigration Law all foreigners that come to Spain must apply for a registration certificate as an EU resident or a residence card in the case of a family member of an EU citizen. You must request an appointment beforehand at: A continuación, enunciamos algunos de los requisitos que puede pedir el consulado español y que varían dependiendo del país y del caso particular del interesado.

Steps to apply for a visitor student permit in the home country of a non-EU student. To apply for a student visa, the person must go to the Spanish consulate in their home country to find out what documents they will need to present and the procedure they should follow. Here is a list of some of the requirements that may be asked of you at the Spanish consulate, which will vary depending on the country and the particular case of the person in question. - Original valid Passport. - Certificate of enrollment (in our case at EAE). - Medical certificate issued by the official authorities in your home country. - Three passport photos in colour.

-2- Valid passport or national identity document from your country of origin (Original and Photocopy).

Proof of economic resources to cover the entire stay. This can be done by depositing the funds in a Spanish bank account, traveller’s cheques in the name of the applicant, a document certifying that the student is the beneficiary of a grant or student loan, a letter stating that the parents, family members or someone else will be financially supporting the student for the entire stay or in another way expressed by the consulate.

- 3- Application form EX18 (Original and Photocopy).

On the day of your appointment you present the documentation at: C/Padre Piquer, 18 28024 Madrid -1- Proof of appointment.

Consular charges for each country.

- 4- “Empadronamiento” certificate. -5- Tax form 790 (Code 12) 10,20 paid at any bank. This taxi s collected at the office at Avda. Padre Piquer, 18 (metro: Campamento, line 10). EU student residence permit A foreigner that wishes to study in Spain must apply for the appropriate visa (type D) beforehand at the Spanish Diplomatic Mission or Consulate in their country. To do this you will need to bring your academic documentation to show what studies you have completed and your certificate of enrollment at EAE (among other documents that they may request, which will vary depending on the country), which is one of the requirements to obtain the student resident permit.

Note: The requirements can vary depending on the country in which the process is carried out and on each particular case, therefore it is very important to find out the requirements of the Spanish consulate in your own country. Important: Procedures carried out at Spanish consulates are slow and in many cases the person will have to go to the consulate more than once. We suggest therefore that you find out the requirements and the procedure and if you need to make an appointment you should give yourself plenty of time (at least five months in advance) Procedure to get student card in Spain

You must go to the “Brigada de Extranjeria y Documentacion” (Foreigners and Documentation Office) located at Avda. De los Poblados s/n, (Metro Aluche), open between 09,00 and 13,00. Ask for an appointment, which usually takes about a week. Once you have your appointment you must present the following on the day. a. EX00 document (original and copy) b. Original EAE enrollment certificate c. Photocopy of passport d. Photocopy of visa The same documents are required from those students who live with their partner or children, except instead of the enrollment certificate they must present the marriage certificate and birth certificate respectively.

Renewal of student residence card:

This is a similar procedure that can also be carried out by the Foreign Office. It is dealt with in the same way as the first time the card is applied for, except that you must present all of the documentation 40 days before the expiry of the current card and you must be able to demonstrate your progress (grades or diploma awarded) and the reason why you want the renewal (this can be for any course with a duration of more than six months). To download the necessary documents, click on the following link: Important: The “Tarjeta de Estudiante”, issued by the Spanish government through their offices in the Autonomous Communities, is the only document that proves that you are legally entitled to be in Spain for more than 90 days. It is important to point out that breach of any immigration regulations and Spanish laws by a student excuses EAE from any financial, civil, penal, academic or any other type of responsibility as well as the consequences that may arise from the same.

Within 30 days you must request an appointment at the police station to begin the process of obtaining your NIE student card.


10 Registration What is the “padron”? It is a registry of people living in Spain and their corresponding addresses. All people living in a town, whether national or foreign, must register themselves, even those foreigners who are not living here legally.

Registering yourself is a Right Registering yourself is a Right that automatically involves other rights. All those registered on the Padron of a town are recorded as inhabitants. In the case of non-EU students, it is a way of proving your habitual residence in a specific town.

11 EAE CONTACTS OF INTEREST Areas and Services




IT Support EAE Students Email

Ricard Hortigüela Miquel Hernández

Barcelona and Madrid



Miquel Hernández

Barcelona and Madrid



Mª Ángeles Roy

Barcelona and Madrid

Floor 1

Student Assistance

Sonia Pereira


Floor 2

Professional Careers

Lidia Bonvehí


Floor 3

File Management

Cristina Andrés Nuria González



Customer Care

Mª Ángeles Martos

Barcelona and Madrid

Oficina Virtual

Ana Sorolla

Barcelona and Madrid


Necessary documentation for “empadronamiento” - Identity document of the person in question: Passport, identity card from country of origin, residence card. - Document proving address: purchase contract of the property, rental contract or the latest utility bill (water, electricity, etc.) on which the name and address of the person applying for empadronamiento appears. These documents must be original; copies are not accepted. -In the case where the applicant is not the owner or the tenant of a property and they want to record it as their residence, they will need a signed authorisation from the owner of the property and a photocopy of their DNI, passport or any other personal identity document. For more information about empadronamiento please call 010. By giving your address, they will indicate to you the town hall corresponding to where you can register yourself. d8a521ecd08a0c/?vgnextoid=23ccdd9d6baed010VgnVCM2000000c205a0aR CRD&vgnextchannel=23a99c5ffb020310Vg




902 47 46 47 Barcelona C/ Arag贸 55 - 08015 Madrid C/ Men茅ndez Pidal 43 - 28036

follow us on

scan this code and ask for further information

Student's Guide Madrid  
Student's Guide Madrid  

Student's Guide Madrid