Page 1




MIDWEEK ROUND UP The Northern Echo

Shildon surged back to the top of the EBAC Northern League with a 4-0 home win over neighbours Bishop Auckland at Dean Street on Friday evening.. Bishops gave as good as they got early in the game, but they lost their edge when striker Danny Brunskill went off injured. Shildon took the lead on 41 minutes when Paul Connor chested the ball down on the edge of the area, turned quickly and hit an angled shot past Scott Pocklington into the top corner. Bishops missed two chances to equalise, and they went further behind when Mark Doninger hit a right foot shot from the edge of the area that was deflected over Pocklington. It was 3-0 on 74 minutes when Doninger played a 1-2 on the edge of the box and blasted left footed into the top corner, and with eight minutes left, Lee Scroggins dispossessed Bishop defender Chris Lawson, saw his shot parried by Pocklington, and Connor tapped the ball into the empty net. Consett manager Kenny Lindoe says that it’s difficult to tell whether their new 3G pitch is a big advantage after they thumped bottom of the table BillinghamTown 8-0 on Saturday. The Steelmen have scored 20 goals in just three games on their new surface, but Lindoe said; “It’s hard to tell if the pitch is a big advantage for us, In our first game against Spennymoor it was a tough fight to hold on to the lead, and everything seemed to click when we beat Bedlington last week. “Against Billingham Town, we scored early and that didn’t help them at all, especially when we had the wind behind us. We’ll have a better idea after we’ve played a few more home games, especially against the teams near the top of the table.” Consett took the lead after 8 minutes with an effort by Michael Mackay from a Gilberto Chapim pass, and he added another just after the half hour from a Calvin Smith pass. Smith then got the third from distance with the wind behind him. It was one way traffic in the second half, with Mackay going on to complete his hat trick, with fellow striker Luke Sullivan also scoring three to give him 24 league goals for the season. Aristote Guerian-Lokonga scored the other. Consett had an outfield player, Scott Canham, in goal because their regular keeper was unavailable. Crook keeper Barry Poskett scored the first goal in their 3-0 home win over Newcastle Benfield when his wind assisted clearance from his own area sailed downfield and bounced over Benfield keeper Andy Grainger. Richard Hodgson scored his eighth goal of the season from close range after Kyle Davis set him up, then Robbie Bird dribbled through for the third. Crook manager Gary Pearson said; “We adapted very well to the conditions. It was a scrappy first half, Barry Poskett scored from a long clearance which caught the wind and bounced over their keeper. It was a fortunate goal but we deserved the lead anyway. We played against the wind in the second half and played better, although Benfield had a couple of chances just after half time. Once we got the second goal it was comfortable.” Newcastle Benfield manager Steve Bowey said; “I’m a bit annoyed with the players that didn’t turn up today.” Shildon’s stay at the top courtesy of their 4-0 win over Bishop Auckland on Friday night only lasted a few hours because Celtic Nation won 3-0 at Sunderland RCA. Nation were without strikers Colin McMenamin and Micky Rae, but it was former Carlisle player Peter Murphy who opened the scoring from a left wing cross by new striker Martyn Coleman. On the half hour, Murphy set to Coleman to fire the second, and in the second half, Murphy fired into the top corner for the third. CN have now kept 12 clean sheets this season, and play Shildon this Saturday. Sunderland RCA manager David Lee said; “it was a very average performance which lacked quality at times because of the conditions and missing players.” West Auckland came from a goal down to beat Marske United 3-1 at the Seagrave Stadium. Marske took an early lead when Glen Butterworth won possession and set up John Alexander to score from a few yards, but West levelled on 15 minutes with a 20 yarder by Ashley Coffey. Steve Richardson headed West into the lead from a corner, then Marske were reduced to ten men when defender Adam Wheatley was shown his second yellow card. Robbie Briggs fired the third for West, although Marske hit the bar late in the game. Marske manager Ted Watts said; “We played well first half into the strong wind. We conceded a poor goal at the start of the second half and had a man sent off.”


The Northern Echo

West Auckland dropped vital points in the title race when they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Bedlington on Tuesday night. West took the lead in the opening minute when Steve Richardson headed in a right wing cross by John Campbell, but Bedlington striker David Brown missed two good chances to equalise. Robbie Briggs had a volley well saved by Bedlington keeper Shaun McCafferty, who also pulled off two more good stops. Bedlington levelled just on the hour, when Paul King curled a free kick from the edge of the area into the top corner. West nearly won the game late on, but Stuart Banks was denied by the post. Bishop Auckland lost 2-0 at home to Ashington. Bishops missed several chances in the first half, with Dean Douglas coming closest when he hit the bar, and they paid the penalty for missing them when Glen Taylor scored from close range just before half time. The second half was the same story, and near the end recent signing Martin Brittain fired the second. Consett were involved in another high scoring game on their new 3G pitch when they beat Billingham Synthonia 43. Consett took the lead when Luke Sullivan fired into the bottom corner, but Synners took the lead with two goals in ten second half minutes through Michael Sweet and Dan Newby. Sullivan set up Michael Mackay to equalise for Consett, then midfielder Gilberto Chapim blasted them in front. Calvin Smith made it 4-2, but Joel Callender pulled one back for Synners. Whitley Bay beat Penrith 2-0 at Hillheads. Whitley took the lead early in the game when Phil Airey scored at the near post, and they made sure of the points in the closing minutes when Chris Reid headed in a cross by Paul Chow. Whickham had an excellent result in the FA Vase when they beat Brighouse 1-0 at home in their third round replay, Ross Peareth scoring the winner in the dying seconds with a right foot shot into the top corner. Whickham are at home to West Auckland in the next round. Newton Aycliffe overcame the elements and Marske United for a 3-2 win at Moore Lane on Wednesday night. Harrison Davies gave Aycliffe the lead with a left foot shot, but Jamie Poole levelled on 57 minutes. Jamie Owens regained the lead with a header , only for former Aycliffe player Danny Lambert to equalise. But veteran Danny Mellanby popped up in a goalmouth scramble and fired the winner for Aycliffe. The monsoon caused several other games to be either postponed or abandoned. Guisborough v Spennymoor was postponed just two minutes before the scheduled kick off, while the games at Shildonand Willington were abandoned at half time.

A brief history of



The early 1990’s saw the club come close to folding before the involvement of new officials and sponsors, combined with the appointment of the former Newcastle united, Carlisle united and Hartlepool united striker Alan Shoulder as manager in 1993. This saw the clubs fortunes on the up again with promotion back to the first division in 1995. At the end of the 199596 season the club finished in a very credible ninth position in the first season back in the top division. Crook has played at the Millfield Ground since formation, apart from two years in the mid 1980’s. Initially it was the home of Crook Rugby Club and the football club shared the premises until 1896 when a move was made to the Bankfoot Sports Ground at Peases West on the outskirts of the town. However following the demise of the rugby club, the football club purchased the Millfield and it has remained home ever since. The ground is one of the best in non-league football with a grandstand containing 400 seats, a covered terrace which can hold 300 spectators and with a high quality floodlighting system. The current ground capacity is set at 3,500 although in past days it regularly held crowds of between 6,000 and 15,000. The ground record was set in 1952 when 17,500 saw an F.A. Amateur Cup game against Walton and Hersham. Crook Town AFC were champions of the Northern League Division 2 in the 2012-13 season and were promoted to Division 1.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you