Page 1

1

TURTLE LAKE


2

1

NGUYEN DYANASTY

3

CON FRANCE ERA


NTENT

3

5 7 9

1975 -NOW

LEGENDS

THE CASE


4

NGUYEN DYNASTY 1


5

Initially

at the present location of Ho Con Tortoise, in 1790 was the gate of the city of Kham Khuyen Bat Qua (also called Quy). Minh Mang renamed after Vong Khuyen. Four years after the rebellion of Le Van Khoi (1833-1835), the king ordered the destruction of Bat Qua and built a smaller citadel known as Phung. Location of Kham Khuyen gate becomes a point outside the city, connecting the road outside the west into the river. (archive.is, 2018) 2


6

FRANCE ERA 3


7

A

fter the French occupation of Gia Dinh (the official name of Phung), they leveled the city on March 8, 1859. When the three provinces of East Cochinchina were taken over, the French began The city was rebuilt in 1862. Based on the existing lines along the old city wall, the French organized a new administrative district based on the old ruins. The current Turtle Lake location is at the end of the 16th Street cul-de-sac. On this road, the first Governor’s Palace was built in 1863. In 1864, the Direction de l ‘ ‘In-

térieur - the contemporary of the so-called’ poetical poetry ‘), was built on the opposite side of the Governor’s Palace. On February 1, 1865, French Governor Pierre-Paul de La Grandière (1807-1876) named Cochinchina’s Governor, Cochinchina, named Route 16 as Catinat. In 1878, the water tower was built at Lake Turtle today to provide drinking water to residents in the area. From February 24, 1897, the road from behind the Notre Dame Cathedral to the water tower changed its name to Blancsubé. In 1921, the water tower was demolished due to the inability to meet the water supply requirement and the extended road extended to Mayer Street (now known as Vo Thi Sau) and the last one called Garcerie Street . From this point it became the intersection of Maréchal Joffre (cross-

4

ing t h e intersection of Testard now Vo Van Tan - and Larclauze now Tran Cao Van). At this location, the French built a monument of three French soldiers in bronze with a small lake, to mark the invasion and symbolism of the Indochinese French. So the local people often call it the Triple Picture Hall. These monuments existed until 1956 when the Government of the Republic of Vietnam destroyed, leaving only a small lake. The intersection was renamed the Battlefield. (Son,T 2018)


8

1975 NOW 5


9

were destroyed in an explosion, although the tortoise was no longer available, but people still used to call it Tortoise instead of the official name. The Turtle Lagoon turquoise ring surrounded by cafes, crowded by night and one of Ho Chi Minh City’s most lush green swirls. (Son,T 2018)

After

1975, the authorities let the chisel leave the inscription on the stela. Duy Tan Street was changed to Pham Ngoc Thach Street and Tran Quy Cap Street was changed to Tran Cao Van Street / Vo Van Tan Street. In early 1976 (or 1978), the stela and tortoise 6


10

LEGENDS 7


11

A

ccording to the journalist Huynh Ba Thanh (Ba Trung), in his book "The Tortoise Case" (Tuoi Tre Youth Newspaper 1982), there are anecdotal accounts in 1967, when General Nguyen Van Thieu as President of the Republic of Vietnam, invited a famous Chinese Feng Shui master to see the land at the independent palace. The feng shui teacher praised the location of the palace as the location of the dragon, reigning the position of the dragon head. According to the

above, the dragon was originally at the Independence Palace and the tail was at the Battlefield site, although it was very good, but due to the dragon tail or the struggling, the career was unstable, so it should be worshiped. By casting a large tortoise to drag the dragon does not struggle to retain the presidency long. That is why, according to some people, the towering structure resembles a sword (or nail / needle), closed into the lake to hold the tail of the dragon, and the lake-shaped structure, There is a yinyang. Others claim that the tower’s structure resembles a tall, tailed dragon, but the turtle thrusts at the top of t h e

8

tops. Others think that from above, the whole architecture looks like a turtle. Some people explain that turtles are made of turtles because in turtles the turtles (built on the back of the turtles - built around 1972 have a stone inscription, and this place is set. as a memorial) and implied “gratitude�. But all is just a hypothesis or an anecdote. (Son,T 2018)


12

9


13 References archive.is. (2018). Catinat Street Saigon. [online] Available at: http://archive.is/20130627143313/ saigon.vietnam.free.fr/saigon_en2.php [Accessed 12 Sep. 2018]. Sơn, T. (2018). Hồ Con Rùa và giai thoại ‘trấn yểm long mạch’ ở Sài Gòn - VnExpress. [online] Tin nhanh VnExpress. Available at: https://vnexpress.net/tintuc/thoi-su/ho-con-rua-va-giai-thoai-tran-yem-longmach-o-sai-gon-3455791.html [Accessed 12 Sep. 2018].

10


14

Turtle Lake  

Brochure design - DMS 2 - Lecturer: Thierry Bernard Pham Minh Dung - s3695341

Turtle Lake  

Brochure design - DMS 2 - Lecturer: Thierry Bernard Pham Minh Dung - s3695341

Advertisement