Ranch Ramblings DRA Office Hello everyone! We hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We’re working away getting everything finalized for the 2020 convention coming up in just a few weeks. We’re so excited to get to see everyone again and we have a great agenda with some amazing speakers lined up that you won’t want to miss! As we come to the end of another year, we would like to thank you all for your support, friendship, and kindness. We look forward to an amazing new year and the opportunities it will bring.
December Contents 2019
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! The DRA Office
Welcome our Newest Member Ranch!
Note from Colleen .…………..6
Sundance Guest Ranch Cynthia Nichols Ashcroft, BC email@example.com 250-453-2422
Foundation Update..…..……..6 New Alliance Partners……....7 Staffing & Employment……..8
The DRA would like to welcome Sundance Guest Ranch located in the Thompson River Valley, one of the warmest and sunniest spots in Canada! Spectacular adventure horseback riding just four hours from Vancouver await guests at our ranch. We have over 100 happy horses, a large heated outdoor swimming pool, air-conditioned rooms and more!
Tip Your Hats The Dude Ranch Industry has lost two great individuals recently. We would ask that you all would take a minute to tip your hat in remembrance of Tack Van Cleve of the Lazy K Bar Ranch in Montana and Rowena Jones of the Bar BQ Ranch in Idaho Both were pioneers of dude ranching and we thank them for all they did for this industry. They will be greatly missed.
To read Tack Van Cleve’s obituary, click here.
To read more about Rowena Jones’ click here.
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 1
Marketing A Note About Marketing We want to inform everyone that Reunions Magazine, who the DRA has worked with for many years, is no longer doing a print magazine. We are looking for ways to still advertise with them digitally and we will be sure to let everyone know if any co-op opportunities arise.
Blog Content: Oct. - Nov.
Total Likes - 31,819
Ranches Featured - 26
Ave. Monthly Impressions - 44,650
• The Best of Late Autumn and Early Winter Rocky Mountain Dude Ranches
Ave. Monthly Impressions - 1.8M
• How Important are Family Vacations?
Instagram Total Followers - 3,328 Social Media Sweepstakes Giveaway We will do another giveaway January 6th - January 23rd. Thank you to Elk Mountain Ranch for donating in November!
Total Page Views - 13,880
• Winter Vacations – Take a Magical Sleigh Ride at a Dude Ranch • The #1 Adventure Destination for Solo Travel • A Day on a Dude Ranch
• Wyoming Tourism Website – Renewed our banner ads for 1 year.
Pages / Sessions
• Visit USA Parks – Marketing Campaign targeting US and German Markets • West Coast Horseman.com – Banner ad • Yellowstone Journal/National Parks Trips – Renewed our package of online placement and print placement for another year.
Email Marketing Our Email Marketing and Press Release monthly campaigns have been great! We continue to increase our number of subscribers for both! In total, we have 3,189 subscribers.
Print Stand-Alone Ads • Texas Horseman Magazine - ¼ Page Ad • Horseman’s News Magazine – ½ Page Ad • Massachusetts Horse Magazine – ½ Page Ad
Print Co-Op Ads • Horse&Rider Magazine • America Journal Magazine • International Traveller Magazine – Inspiration Issue • Rodeo News Magazine – National Finals Rodeo Issue • True West Magazine – Best of the West Issue • Travel 50&Beyond Magazine • New York Lifestyles Magazine
Google Ad Words Co-op The Traditional Dude Ranches with a Holiday Slant Campaign was active from October 1 to November 20: •
Total Spend: $3,504
Bounce Rate: 57%
A new Google Ad Words campaign, Family Time, Family Fun Reunions at a Dude Ranch starts December 4th and we have 26 ranches participating! December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 2
Specialty Marketing •
Equine Network E- Blast – Went out on November 5, 2019: • • • •
Sessions – 238 New Users – 82% Bounce Rate – 51% Average Time on Site – 10:46
Cowboys and Indians Magazine E-Blast to go out in January!
AQHA – 30 second commercial at the 2019 AQHA World Show.
Healthy Aging - The DRA and the Elkhorn Ranch in AZ is working with Healthy Aging Magazine and the New York Times Travel Show. The Elkhorn Ranch is giving a ranch vacation away at Healthy Aging Magazine’s booth. Here’s what’s included in the package: • Brochures to be handed out at the show of both Elkhorn Ranch and the DRA. • One feature article about dude ranches in Healthy Aging Magazine. • Same article to be included in their newsletter to their opt-in users. • Several social media posts. • Box ad banner on www.healthyaging.com website.
A big thank you to Elkhorn Ranch in Arizona for donating the vacation and participating in this opportunity!
Editorial • Travelagewest.com - Why Your Next Vacation Should Be at a Dude Ranch - all about dude ranching, mentions the DRA & C Lazy U Ranch
• Chicagotribune.com - Family travel five: Why it's important to travel with family - Mentions DRA website • MSN.com - 19 Luxury Couples Vacation Ideas for Winter 2020 - Book a Dude Ranch #6 • Parade.com - 7 Wyoming Ranches That Will Let You Vacation Like Kim and Kanye Without the Price Tag - mentions 4 DRA ranches
• Try-it-likeit.com - The Best Activities to Provide Fun for the Whole Family - mentions dude ranches • Kidtripster.com - TOP PLACES TO GO FOR FAMILIES IN 2020 - mentions dude ranch vacations • Horseandrider.com - 2019 Holiday Gift Guide - DRA is listed • Hometownlife.com - This 85-year-old Bloomfield Hills cowgirl drives cattle across Wyoming - mentions A Bar A Ranch (This article was featured several different places!)
• Whereverfamily.com - DUDE RANCH VACATIONS FOR FAMILIES - mentions Elk Mountain Ranch & Triangle X Ranch • Staradvisor.com - 5 ranch destinations to consider for your next vacation - 4 of the 5 ranches are DRA members! • Sunset.com - Top 9 Dude Ranch Escapes - 6 of the 9 ranches listed are DRA members • MSN.com - The Best All-Inclusive Vacations Around the World - mentions Tanque Verde Ranch • Chicagotribune.com - Taking the Kids Away — for Thanksgiving - mentions dude ranching, Elkhorn Ranch - AZ and Vista Verde Ranch
• Journaltimes.com - Family travel five: Back at the ranch - 3 of the 5 ranches mentioned are DRA ranches • Globetrottingmama.com - HOW TO PLAN THE BEST MULTIGENERATIONAL TRIP EVER - mentions dude ranching & the DRA
• Wtop.com - 30 Fun All-Inclusive Family Vacations - mentions 3 DRA member ranches
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 3
Editorial Cont. • Telegram.com - Family Travel Five: Why it’s important to travel with family - mentions DRA website • Horseandrider.com - Real Riding: Guest Ranches Catering to Equestrians - all about 6 DRA ranches and mentions the DRA. • Yaktrinews.com - 11 of the world's most luxurious horseback escapes - 3 DRA dude ranches were named • Myfamilytravels.com - ROAD TRIP USA: GREAT SIGHTS OF THE WEST – MOUNT RUSHMORE, YELLOWSTONE AND THE GRAND TETONS - mentions Paradise Guest Ranch & the DRA
• Travel.usnews.com - 30 Fun All-Inclusive Family Vacations - Vista Verde ranch was #6! • Ft.com - Postcard from Montana: luxury dude ranch and huge ribeye steaks - mentions Lone Mountain Ranch • Grownuptravelguide.com - Going To The USA? Here Are 20 Great Things To Do! - Experience a dude ranch is #16! • Fashionmagazine.com - How a Well-Timed Trip to Ojai, California Helped One Writer Overcome Grief - all about Alisal Guest Ranch and Resort
• S18053.pcdn.co - 5 Mother Daughter Trips for Bonding with Teens and Tweens - mentions dude ranching • Travel.usnews.com - 30 Top Wellness Retreats – Tanque Verde Ranch & DRA is mentioned • Cosmopolitan.com - Join the Yeehaw Agenda at Lone Mountain Ranch in Big Sky, Montana – all about Lone Mountain Ranch
• Traveldailymedia.com - 7 luxurious holidays that are worth every penny - mentions C Lazy U Ranch • News-journal.net - Road Trip Destinations: Autumn in Arkansas - mentions Horseshoe Canyon Guest Ranch
There were over two dozen additional editorial pieces about various DRA ranches!
2020 Convention January 29 - February 1, 2020 Alisal Guest Ranch and Resort - Solvang, CA. Please send in your DRA Registration Form to the office as soon as possible! The form can be found on the last page of the newsletter. Alisal Guest Ranch is currently fully booked, but there is still room at Hotel Corque. Hotel Corque: Call 800.624.5572 and reference the Dude Ranchers’ Convention.
Off Property Meals: Call the DRA Office 307.587.2339 to book & pay for meals.
Convention Saddle Raffle Items—Presence Not Necessary to Win! Call the office to purchase a raffle ticket today! 307-587-2339 Prizes are: • A 16” Corriente Wade Saddle ($1,750 value) – Donated by Corriente Saddle Company • 2 Steel Grey STS Ranchwear Jackets – ($500 value) Men’s & Women’s (Winner will be able to have their ranch’s logo embroidered)—Donated by Carroll Companies • Assorted Pieces of Montana Silversmiths Jewelry – ($500 value) Donated by Montana Silversmiths
Tickets are 1 for $25 or 5 for $100. December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 4
2020 Convention Sponsors Thank you to all of our wonderful sponsors!
Vendors Thursday, January 30
• Gallagher Insurance
11:00 - 12:00 Vendor Show & Coffee Break
• Guest Ranches of North America
2:30 - 3:00 Vendor Show & Coffee Break
• HUB International Insurance
4:00 - 6:30 Vendor Show & Cocktail Hour
• InsideOut Solutions
Friday, January 31 12:00 - 1:30 Vendor Show & Lunch 4:30 - 6:00 Vendor Show & Cocktail Hour
See Full Agenda HERE • Adventure Designs • Agave Pay, Inc. • AQHA Members Plus • Blubandoo • Carroll Companies • CBI Insurance • Comphy Company • Conestoga Wagons • CoolWorks
• Leavitt Recreation and Hospitality Insurance • Mountain Arts Pottery • Nickers • Odysys Inc. • PATH for Ranches • Philadelphia Insurance • Polaris Adventures • Rad Power Bikes • Ranchbookings.com • Ranch Jewelry • SB Value/Shore Traders, LLC • Steur Salon & Supply - Salon Sheets Linens • Turkish Towel Company • Zber, LLC
• Deneen Pottery • Duderanches.com • EquiPride & EquiLix by SweetPro Feeds • Escalante Rugs
Be sure to check out our new digital vendor guide here! December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 5
A Note from Colleen Thank you!! Now that the official announcement has been made that I am retiring from my position at the DRA, I want to thank you all for giving me such a wonderful opportunity. The privilege to work, learn, and grow with this amazing association has meant more to me than you will ever know. Working for the DRA has contributed greatly to both my personal and professional development. After 19 happy and productive years, I leave with many memories and friendships to cherish for the rest of my life. I want to express my sincere gratitude for the support you have all offered me over the years. We have shared wonderful work relationships as well as friendships. All of your support has made working for the DRA an amazing, enjoyable and rewarding experience. All that being said, I am still here helping the “new chicks” in the office when needed. Bryce and Josie are a great team and are working hard for all of you. I am excited to see where they take the DRA. Along with spending more time with my amazing husband, kids and of course my new grandbaby little miss Gracie Rae, I will be keeping busy with other work opportunities in the travel industry as well. I will also be staying on with the Dude Ranch Foundation, so you are not totally rid of me yet! The Foundation is something I truly believe in. The scholarship program, the heritage center and the horse safety program are all things that I think will continue to help the dude ranch industry moving forward, taking it to the next level. I would hope that you all feel the same way and will continue to support the Foundation in anyway you can. Again, thank you all so much for the amazing opportunity of being the Executive Director of the DRA for so many years! I look forward to many hugs, stories and goodbyes in person at the convention this year! Hope to see you there. Happy Trails, Colleen Hodson
Dude Ranch Foundation Update We sure hope 2019 was a great year for you and yours. During this season of giving, it is time to again ask that you share your good fortune with others. We ask that you consider including The Dude Ranch Foundation in your giving program. The Foundation is a Non-profit 501 (c) 3 so all donations are tax deductible. How does your membership support the Foundation?
• Scholarships - The Foundation provides a broad and flexible set of scholarships each year to students with the overall goal of supporting the future of the dude ranch industry. Since inception, the Foundation has awarded over $300,000 to students of the dude ranch industry. • Education - Through public relations, articles, speaker’s bureau and teaming up with authors and organizations, the Foundation conducts outreach to educate the public about the rich history of the Dude Ranch industry. • Horse Safety Program - In an effort to promote safety, the Foundation developed a horse safety program that has been wildly successful and has verified results. The Foundation dispatches approved instructors to train ranch staff. The program is under continual reevaluation and improvement. • Dude Ranch Museum - the Foundation raised funds to purchase and outfit a museum located in Cody, Wyoming to present and display the rich history of the Dude Ranch Industry. The museum remains open and free to the public year -round. Thank you in advance for your consideration in supporting the Dude Ranch Foundation in your year-end giving and or membership. To give you can go to our website, send us a check or just give us a call with a credit card number. If you have any questions please give us a call. Thank you, Dude Ranch Foundation Board of Directors During this busy season of online shopping please remember to support the dude ranch industry. It is easy by shopping on AmazonSmile:
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 6
Welcome Our Newest Alliance Partners! The DRA is excited to announce three new Alliance Partnerships!
RanchWork.com Founded in 1998, RanchWork.com is the leading independent job board dedicated to the ranching & outdoors industry. Owned & operated by Peter Askew (formerly of DudeRanch.com), the website averages over 40,000 visits & 195,000 pageviews a month. DRA members receive an automatic upgrade on all job postings - when a Silver job listing is purchased (2-month duration), it automatically upgrades to a Gold job listing (6-month duration) for no extra cost. When filling out the job submission, be sure to use the special promo code for DRA ranches (code must be obtained from the DRA office). Job submissions can be submitted here: www.ranchwork.com/post-a-job-opening/. Peter has always been a great proponent for dude ranching and we are excited to continue to work with him in his new endeavor! If you have questions or need help with RanchWork.com, you can contact Peter directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to contact the DRA office for the promo code to receive the upgrade when you list a job opening with RanchWork.com!
Weaver Leather With over 45 years in the horse tack and supply industry, we keep the values of our past in mind while looking to the future. Our team is committed to upholding the quality standards weâ€™re known for while continually innovating to meet the needs of the modern horse enthusiast. From rugged tack you can depend on day in and day out to cutting-edge products you can only get from Weaver Leather, when you Ride the BrandÂŽ, you ride for a heritage of quality and dependability. Weaver Leather products are Always Guaranteed for your peace of mind. All DRA members can purchase Weaver Leather gear with an exclusive 25% off discount code and Free Shipping on all orders $100+ at www.ridethebrand.com. Contact the DRA directly for this exclusive member discount code!
Troxel Helmets With over 4 million helmets in the market and a safety record that is second to none, you can trust that Troxel is the leader in ASTM/SEI certified equestrian helmets. With an exceptional range of styles and sizes to fit the youngest of riders of through adults there is an option for everyone. Troxel also has a tremendous amount of helmet sizing, fitting and helmets safety resources available to assist you in selecting the right type of helmet for your ranch. See our Education Guide here! DRA members can purchase Troxel helmets at an exclusive 25% discount on orders of 4+ helmets and will also receive Free Shipping at www.troxelhelmets.com.
Contact the DRA directly for this exclusive member discount code.
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 7
Staffing & Employment Resources • Betterteam.com - Complete Guide to Finding Employees • Blog.ted.com - The Big Idea: How to find and hire the best employees • Shrm.org - Recruiting is Tougher in 2019 • Ranchwork.com • Home Base • Recruitee
• • • • • • •
Coolworks.com Indeed.com Seasonal Employment State Job Site Internship Programs with colleges College Fairs Facebook
Friendly Reminder As we’re coming up on the end of the year, please remember to pay any overdue invoices as soon as possible. Unpaid invoices may result in a ranch’s inability to participate in co-op ads. If you would like to set up a payment plan for an outstanding balance or to confirm that you do not have a balance, please contact Bryce at email@example.com or 307-587-2337.
Classifieds Triple R Ranch in South Dakota for Lease Looking for a business opportunity? The Triple R Ranch is looking for someone to lease their dude ranch operation in South Dakota. This is a prime location only 10 minutes from Mount Rushmore. Please contact Jack Bradt at 605.666.4605 for more information.
Seeking Employment Dynamic candidate seeks versatile position along the managerial track. Strong background in venue management and event coordination, including guest services, vendor relations, crew management, sales, marketing, web, and social media. Fundamental awareness of property preservation and land management, including equipment operations. Hands-on experience with food, beverage and “back of house” operations. Extensive equestrian knowledge. Organized with impeccable communication skills and creative problem-solving tactics. Available “immediately” or for the 2020 season. Resume and references available. Ana Korgan, firstname.lastname@example.org (805) 674-7446. Seeking position as Front Desk Agent/Guest Services/Office Employee/Store Clerk. Have diversified background, ace-high credentials, exemplary skills in handling guests from all backgrounds, ability to problem solve diplomatically, excellent time management, adept at organizing programs & activities. Excellent qualifications in education: supervision, instruction, curriculum, NK-12. Have MAED, WSI, CPR, & AED. Seasonal work, long or short term, shoulder season 2020. Have outstanding resume, impressive references. Can ride, groom, muck, and sing 'ole cowboy songs. Contact: email@example.com My name is Kt Schramm. I am a digital designer and marketing specialist, who is passionate about guest ranching, hospitality and the historic West. I have five seasons of guest ranching experience, as a wrangler; and eight years of advertising and marketing in the hospitality industry. I am looking to for a full-time marketing/guest experience role at a ranch for the 2020 season, starting between Jan-Feb of 2020. Must allow dog & cat, with private housing. firstname.lastname@example.org
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 8
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 9
December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 10
MEMBER REGISTRATION 94thAnnual Convention Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort, Solvang, California January 29 - February 1, 2020 Submit this form and payment to the Dude Ranchers’ Association at email@example.com PO Box 2307, Cody, WY 82414. Call the office at 307.587.2339 with questions.
Ranch Name and Information
Names and Ages of Children
Use the Attendee Number to Indicate
______________________ Age: ___________
________ Past President
______________________ Age: ___________
________ DRA Board Member
______________________ Age: ___________
________ Dude Ranch Foundation Board Member
Accommodations: *See next page for pricing details* Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort: To make reservations please call 877.547.2818 and reference the Dude Ranchers’ Convention.
Hotel Corque: To make reservations please call 800.624.5572 and reference the Dude Ranchers’ Convention.
Off Property Meals: Please call DRA office to book & pay for off-property meals. 307.587.2339.
Cost of DRA Registration: Number of Adults _______ x $100 = $________ (There is no registration fee for kids 16 & under)
Total Due: $_______ Amount Enclosed: $_______ Remaining Balance: $_______ *Payments by check or credit card are accepted. Please mail checks to the DRA office, and credit cards can be taken over the phone. 307.587.2339.*
Date: __________________________________________ December 2019 | Ranch Ramblings 11
December 2019 Ranch Ramblings