C22 | WEDNESDAY, MARCH 24, 2010 | GULF ISLANDS DRIFTWOOD
1977 | 50 YEARS OF COMMUNITY
The Ship’s Anchor Inn reopened under a new name and management when Mrs. Rita Dods acquired the business from Art Farrow and Jack Hassell. The hostelry and restaurant originally known as The Log Cabin would be known as Rita’s Inn. Dods had run the catering service at the golf club for seven years. She had been a resident of the island for 23 years. In January, Ted Akerman reported losing 63 sheep on the range near Cape Keppel. He also believed up to 40 others were killed by domestic dogs and the remains not discovered. Windsor Plywood bought the Salt Spring Building Centre at the Valcourt Business Centre in Ganges in February. Mike Larmour became superintendent of North Salt Spring Waterworks District after the retirement of Peter Cartwright in February. Cartwright had served for 26 years. The recently acquired Mount Tuam Buddhist retreat was blessed in a ceremony in front of 65 spectators in March. Responding to pressure from the Centennial Park Society, Salt Spring’s recreation commission told the Saturday farmers’ market folks to find new quarters. Market elimination would not be immediate, said chair Tom Harcus. A Driftwood poll of 229-8 showed islanders wanted the market to remain in the park. Tom Watson was chosen new principal for Salt Spring Elementary School, after it was decided to separate the principalship of the elementary and secondary schools in Ganges. Bob McWhirter would remain GISS principal.
Junior-secondary-aged students from Mayne, Galiano and Saturna would be served by an expanded school at Mayne Island. Only senior secondary students would still commute to Salt Spring. Galiano parents were upset that their children would be forced to go to Mayne rather than Salt Spring. Salt Spring’s Dan Reynolds and George Moulton returned from the Canadian Trap Shooting Championships in Vancouver in July with best-inCanada titles in their respective classes.
Log sawing was one of the activities at the 1977 fall fair, held on Sept. 17 in Ganges.
Second fall fair is a ‘great success again’ While the first Salt Spring Island fall fair has been acknowledged as the annual exhibition of the Salt Spring Island Agricultural and Horticultural Society, held on the society’s grounds in Vesuvius Bay in 1896, the island’s fair was not held continuously through to the present day. Although Driftwood issues of the 1960s and early 1970s describe various flower and garden shows, and agriculture is obviously a major part of island life, the 1957 Fulford Fall Fair was the last one on Salt Spring until 1976 when a full-fledged fall fair was resurrected on the school grounds in Ganges, following a resurgence of agricultural activities in the preceding years. Tony Richards, who came to work for his father Frank, then publisher and editor of the paper, wrote glowingly of
the 1977 version of the fair, which drew 2,500 visitors. “The number of entries this year was almost double that of last year: there were 1,850 entries in the 17 sections,” he reported. “In the horticulture section alone, there were 600 entries this year, up from 250 last year. “Saturday morning island farmers were rounding up their stock, including runaway pigs on Rainbow Road, and by 9:30 p.m., most of the animals were in the pens. “About four of the classrooms in the elementary school as well as the Activity Centre were filled with the exhibits of all the sections that didn’t include livestock.” In 1977, Pat Lee was chair of the fall fair committee and Marguerite Lee was fair coordinator.
More than 500 past and present Pender school students and staff attended a 75th anniversary reunion in August, while a brand new school was also being constructed on the island. The new school was officially opened on Nov. 26. Special guest was Nep Grimmer, who had started school on the island in 1895. On Sept. 30, Canada switched from miles to kilometres when it came to speed and distance and road signs.
(From the Oct. 12, 1977 edition) Residents on Reynolds Road have been setting the trend lately with these new t-shirts. Someone at the north end was overheard saying recently that Reynolds Road is destined to become the fashion centre of the island.
Three plane crashes occurred within three months. The first, on Sept. 5 at Mount Tuam, claimed the life of a RCMP special constable from Vancouver. Four Vancouver Island residents died when their Cessna 220 went down on the northwestern side of Mount Erskine on Nov. 25. On Saturna on Dec. 2, 14 people walked away from the crash of an Air West twin-engined Otter.
Neighbours Helping Neighbours Build Their Dreams
Congratulations on 50 Years!
FINISHING... And BUILDING SUPPLIES 166 Rainbow Road, PH: 250-537-5564