MINT â€“ MIND THE GAP: Migration NEEDS Integration
Integration Strategies for Migrants
MINT Team 2008/2010
Sigulda Evening School
Steps how to integrate immigrant students in Sigulda Evening School
1. An immigrant family arrives in the Education Department of Sigulda Town Council. A potential school is offered.
2. A student and his/her parents visit the headmaster of the chosen school and they are informed about the following:
School curriculum Rules and regulations Class teacher Activities of the Parents` Board An assistant headmaster and teachers work out an individual curriculum.
3. A class teacher informs about the immigrant student for volunteers to help integration
students and asks in the process.
4. A class teacher introduces the immigrant student to his/her classmates using â€œice-breakingâ€? activities.
5. A class teacher introduces the immigrant student to a foreign language teacher and decides according to further language studies (language lessons, additional activities e.t.c. depending on necessity).
6. A class teacher informs the immigrant student about the other possibilities to acquire foreign language outside school, together with his/her parents.
7. An imigrant student takes an active part in the study process in 1-2 weeks` time according to his/her individual curriculum.
8. An immigrant student regularly discusses his/her progress with the teaching staff.