• S ignal that the free kick may be taken. If the defenders advance from the wall while the kick is being taken, re-take the free kick if a goal is not scored and yellow card the offending player(s).
• t he referee has not yet started to control the wall / the opponents to get them back the appropriate distance
• E nsure that the ball is placed in the same position for the re-take and follow the same procedure.
If an opponent deliberately prevents a quick free kick being taken he must be given a yellow card.
In cases of misbehaviour of the players in the wall, the referees are advised that after issuing an initial warning any further misbehaviour should be punished by disciplinary sanction i.e. yellow or red card(s) - another warning is not appropriate. If attacking players are in/near the wall, consideration should be given to measure the required distance in a forward manner. However, attention should also be given that the ball remains in the correct place.
Quick free kick A free kick may be taken quickly – without the referee’s whistle – provided that: • n o disciplinary sanction is to be taken • t he free kick is taken quickly after play is stopped (i.e. few seconds…)
• a player is not injured and requires no attention
Penalty kicks Referees are reminded that the Laws of the Game now state that: “Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of football. However, feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run-up is considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned.” If the ball enters the goal the penalty must be retaken; if the ball does not enter the goal the referee stops play and the match is restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending from the penalty mark. This applies to penalty kicks during the game and also kicks from the penalty markat the end of the game to decide the outcome of the match.
• t he ball is stationary at the place of the offence • t he free kick requires no management by the referee
34 Referee_PB_B6_AW_CS5.indd 34
12/19/12 5:51 PM
After a the refe play, th immedi
Referee conside and oth a player
When t against give a c yellow o
Good p are cruc of the m circums assistan provide to the r
UEFA’s t benefit diagona UEFA Re principl betwee AAR’s) s possible from w whilst m the assi
Published on Apr 17, 2013