THE MAGAZINE PARENTS LIVE BY IN TARRANT COUNT Y
MEET THE DOCTORS OF DR. RANDY W. HAMILTON III, AUTHOR OF
ARLINGTON • 817-467-9089 3801 S Cooper St #109, 76015 BURLESON ORTHODONTICS 817-426-1406 809 SW Alsbury Blvd #100, 76107 BURLESON • 817-295-1144 1009 SW Alsbury Blvd, 76107 COMING SOON! Castle Hills NOW OPEN! CEDAR HILL • 972-528-8974 520 W FM 1382, 75104 FORT WORTH • 817-332-0007 4504 Vickery Blvd, 76107 N. FORT WORTH/KELLER • 817-847-7001 7451 N Beach St #140, 76137 MANSFIELD • 817-453-2800 1756 Broad Park Cir N, #100, 76063 MANSFIELD ORTHODONTICS • 682-593-4820 3807 E Broad St #101, 76063 WAXAHACHIE • 972-351-9910 2171 N Hwy 77, 75165 TYLER • 903-595-5476 3607 Old Jacksonville Rd, 75701 COMING SOON! VIRIDIAN • 682-222-1010 4100 N Collins, Bldg 7, #100, 76011
COSMETIC DENTISTRY FOR KIDS! BRACES FOR ALL AGES!
AGES 0 –18 / OPEN MONDAY – FRIDAY Invisalign Teen®
IN-OFFICE ORAL & IV SEDATION MOST INSURANCE ACCEPTED
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
29 ● HURST-EULESS-BEDFORD / NORTH RICHLAND HILLS These four cities form one fluid, family-friendly community right in the middle of all Dallas-Fort Worth has to offer.
30 ● ARLINGTON / MANSFIELD / DALWORTHINGTON GARDENS / GRAND PRAIRIE The diverse, growing communities of southeast Tarrant County still retain their small-town feel. 35 ● NORTHWEST TARRANT Fresh air and outdoor fun are easy to come by in Azle, the Eagle Mountain Lake area and Lake Worth
Pages / July 2018 5
● THE NEIGHBORHOOD ISSUE words Carrie Steingruber
● CENTRAL FORT WORTH In the city center, there’s no shortage of kid-approved eats and family fun, from museums to movie theaters.
13 ● EAST FORT WORTH Find a park made just for your family’s furry best friend in these neighborhoods east of downtown. 17
10 ● SOUTHWEST FORT WORTH Head south and west of downtown for river views, farmers markets and swanky new outdoor shopping centers.
CREATIVE DIRECTOR Lauren Niebes
Associate Editor Alexis Manrodt Assistant Editor Lisa Salinas Calendar Editor Elizabeth Smith
EDITORIAL Managing Editor Carrie Steingruber
ART Graphic Designer Susan Horn
PUBLISHER/ EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Joylyn Niebes
● NORTH TARRANT The northern suburbs of Alliance, Haslet, Keller, Roanoke and Watauga are anchored by lively town centers.
22 ● NORTHEAST TARRANT Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Trophy Club and Westlake boast professional golf courses, luxury shopping and beautiful neighborhoods.
Art Assistant Kellyn Nettles ADVERTISING Associate Publisher Diana Whitworth Nelson Account Executives Alison Davis, Maggie Marston, Nancy McDaniel, Kristen Niebes, Sandi Tijerina
38 ● ALEDO WEST The small town west of Fort Worth is in a prime spot to enjoy amenities in both Cowtown and Weatherford. 41 ● MAIN ATTRACTIONS Every neighborhood has its gems, but these destinations are worth the drive no matter where you live. 47 ● GOING PRIVATE Consider this your intro 101 course on every private grade school in North Texas.
Advertising Coordinator Alexa Wilder PR/MARKETING Audience Development Director Candace Emerson
ADMINISTRATION Business Manager Leah Wagner Office Manager + Distribution Robbie Scott
Promotions Coordinator Beth McGee
FortWorthChild is published monthly by Lauren Publications, Inc. FortWorthChild is distributed free of charge, one copy per reader. Only FortWorthChild authorized distributors may deliver or pick up the magazines. Additional or back copies of FortWorthChild are available for $2 per copy at the offices of Lauren Publications, Inc. We reserve the right to edit, reject or comment editorially on all material contributed. We cannot be responsible for the return of any unsolicited material. FortWorthChild is ©2018 by Lauren Publications, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or part without express written permission prohibited.
COVER ILLUSTRATION BY AARON MESHON
fortworthchild / july 2018
Dr. Sheri Puffer
Dr. Joy Carter
Dr. Joan Bergstrom
Dr. Jessica Brown
Dr. Kiran Nangrani
Dr. Dawnette Peppler
Women’s Health Services now provides patient care in two locations in Arlington. We also provide state-of-the-art maternity care in the newly renovated labor and delivery suites at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital (THAM). THAM is ranked among the best hospitals in Dallas-Fort Worth, and was awarded American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet status, an award that recognizes hospitals that provide nursing excellence. Women’s Health Services has been providing quality health care for women of all ages for the past 32 years. Our OB/GYN group been recognized in the community for its reputable and thoughtful care. In 2017, Women’s Health Services won Suburban Parent Magazines’ award for Best of Family Healthcare in Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as DFW Child Magazine’s Mom-Approved Doctors award for OB/GYN. Women’s Health Services’ doctors provide full OB/GYN services and are skilled in managing all aspects of women’s health care, such as normal and high-risk pregnancy care, gynecologic surgery, incontinence treatment, annual exams, and contraceptive and hormone therapy needs. Visit our new website and make your appointments online at www.womenshealthservices.com. We look forward to seeing you soon!
1001 N. Waldrop, Suite 505 Arlington, TX 76012
5005 S. Cooper St, Suite 275 Arlington, TX 76017
Phone 817-277-9415 • Fax 817-277-0360 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
H THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
New Beginnings For years, our July issue was essentially a phone book to offer. ¶ While we didn’t have room to list every single restaurant we love of family resources, from child care to tutoring services (because Fort Worth has a lot of ’em) or every park that’s great for a picnic, we to recreational sports leagues. (Fittingly, we called it the did list every local library—because we believe in helping our kids become Everything Issue.) It was a labor of love—emphasis on lifelong learners—and contact information for every state and national labor—and one we relied on all year round to find resources political representative—because we believe in setting an example of good for our own families. ¶ But we wanted our July issue to become something citizenship for the next generation. (In lieu of listing Texas’ two U.S. senamore than addresses and phone numbers. We wanted to give you, our readtors on every page, we’ve provided their information here.) ¶ And there are ers, curated snapshots of the cities you call home—or some attractions in Fort Worth that we just can’t confine would like to call home some day. Every enclave in Fort to a single neighborhood. These “Main Attractions,” Worth has its own quirks, its own vibe, its own way on page 41, are worth driving to no matter where you of doing family living. We wanted to capture that feel U. S. SENATORS FOR TEXAS hang your hat. ¶ If you’re new to Fort Worth or looking and provide some of our top picks for raising a family to make a move, use this guide to find a neighborhood Sen. John Cornyn in each distinct community. ¶ And so, welcome to the that fits the lifestyle you dream of for your family. In 5001 Spring Valley Road, first-ever Neighborhoods Issue. It was still a labor of Suite 1125E, Dallas, 972/239-1310; each section, we’ve listed the Blue Ribbon Schools you cornyn.senate.gov love—but with the emphasis on love this time. In these can find there, and “Going Private” on page 47 has an pages you’ll find lots of reasons to love where you live, overview of local private grade schools. ¶ If you’re a Sen. Ted Cruz whether you’re brand-new to Fort Worth or you grew 3626 N. Hall St., Suite 410, lifelong North Texan, we hope this guide will help you Dallas, 214/559-8749; up down the street. From green spaces and splash pads explore new corners of the community you call home. email@example.com, to kid-friendly eateries and can’t-miss town events, we It has certainly done that for us. cruz.senate.gov collected a sampling of what these communities have — CARRIE STEINGRUBER fortworthchild / july 2018
Texas-sized fun, all in one Smurftastic place! Now - September 3, 2018 Enjoy family fun inspired by The Smurfs: • Papa Smurf’s Search Party Scavenger Hunt, Le Smurfs Art Corner and Sweet Shop • Breakfast with The Smurfs, Magical Meadow & Forbidden Forest Escape Rooms and Gargamel’s Wizard Academy • 3D Visual Light Show and Splash Party, both presented by bubly™ • Build-A-Bear Workshop® • Paradise Springs resort pool & lazy river, dining events and so much more!
Book Your Summer Getaway Today!
GaylordTexan.com/SummerFest 2018 Licensed through I.M.P.S. (Brussels) www.smurf.com
| (817) 778-1000
AQUAFINA is a registered trademark of PepsiCo, Inc. © 2018 BUBLY and the Bubly Designs are trademarks. © & ® Build-A-Bear Workshop, Inc. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
Rep. Ramon Romero Jr. 3663 Airport Freeway, Suite 102, Fort Worth, 817/924-6788 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 95: Rep. Nicole Collier 101. S. Jennings Ave., Suite 103A, Fort Worth, 817/332-1180 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 97: Rep. Craig Goldman 4521 S. Hulen St., Suite 208, Fort Worth, 817/920-5912 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 99: Rep. Charlie Geren 1011 Roberts Cut Off Road, River Oaks, 817/738-8333 ABOVE:
At night, the fountains at Sundance Square light up this family-friendly hangout spot. Middle schools: 18 High schools: 16
CENTRAL FORT WORTH
Welcome to the Neighborhood
PHOTO COURTESY OF BRIAN LUENSER
While locals can (and do) eat, shop and live around Sundance Square and never get bored— seriously, the pedestrian-friendly spot boasts two-dozen retail stores, over 30 restaurants and bars, plus galleries, independent theaters, and the decadently decorated Bass Performance Hall—there’s so much more to experience when you live in the heart of Cowtown. For example, consider this urban area your best bet for aquatic activities short of living on Lake Worth: Sundance Square has fountains the kids can play in, and Panther Island Pavilion is open all summer for tubing on the Trinity. For culture, head west to Fort Worth’s trio of art museums, and hit up the nearby West 7th and Montgomery Plaza areas for eats and retail therapy. If you want to put down roots in an up-and-coming part of Fort Worth, check out Near Southside, a conglomerate of historic neighborhoods with a mix of vintage houses and brand-new town homes.
Education ● FORT WORTH ISD 100 N. University Drive, Fort Worth, 817/871-2000; fwisd.org Elementary schools: 82
● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS Private St. Paul Lutheran School, 2006 Fort Worth ISD Charles Nash Elementary School, 2014 Rufino Mendoza Elementary School, 2003 Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2016
Libraries FORT WORTH PUBLIC LIBRARIES fortworthtexas.gov/library ● CENTRAL LIBRARY Open daily; Tuesday and Thursday open till 8pm 500 W. Third St., Fort Worth, 817/392-7323 ● ELLA MAE SHAMBLEE BRANCH Monday–Thursday and Saturday; Tuesday open till 8pm 1062 Evans Ave., Fort Worth, 817/392-5580
Health & Fitness 101
U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/338-0909; kaygranger.house.gov
● AMON G. CARTER, JR. DOWNTOWN YMCA 512 Lamar St., Fort Worth, 817/332-3281; ymcafw.org
● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 33: Rep. Marc Veasey 6707 Brentwood Stair Road, Suite 200, Fort Worth, 817/920-9086; veasey.house.gov
FORT WORTH COMMUNITY CENTERS fortworthtexas.gov/parks/centers ● FIRE STATION COMMUNITY CENTER 1601 Lipscomb St., Fort Worth, 817/392-2240
TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157
● HILLSIDE COMMUNITY CENTER 1201 E. Maddox Ave., Fort Worth, 817/392-7660
● SENATE DISTRICT 12: Sen. Jane Nelson 1225 S. Main St., Suite 100, Grapevine, 817/424-3446 TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 90:
● SOUTHSIDE COMMUNITY CENTER 959 E. Rosedale St., Fort Worth, 817/392-6605
Green Scene ● BURNETT PARK This spot is the ideal park to get away from the noise of the city for a little while. The kids can fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
climb on the netlike structures as you take in the scenery or attend a yoga class. 501 W. Seventh St., Fort Worth, 817/870-1692; dfwi.org ● FORT WORTH WATER GARDENS The lawn at the south end is great for playing or picnicking, and the kids can climb the terraced stone hill. Stop by the Dancing Pool to watch the 40 aerating fountains leap in the air. 1502 Commerce St., Fort Worth, 817/392-7111
INTRODUCE YOUR CHILD TO THE JOY, ART AND APPRECIATION OF MUSIC ORCHESTRA PROGR A M S: Th e Yout h Or c h estr a Philh a rmon ic Or c h estr a St r in g Orc h estr a Junior St r in g O r c h estr a MUSIC DEVELO P M EN T PROG RAM S: Ch a mb er Musi c Conc ert o Competi ti o n s S uzuki St r in gs & Pi an o Tr ai n i n g Ea r ly Ch ild hoo d Musi c
● 203 CAFÉ Grab some lunch at this fast casual spot on the second floor of the first fire station in downtown Fort Worth. Menu includes classic grilled cheese, yogurt parfaits and breakfast tacos. 215 Commerce St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/782-9004; 203cafe.com ● CHILLS 360 This Thai-inspired ice cream is made (and rolled) right in front of you. Top with even more treats like Oreos® cookies and strawberries. 1005 Foch St., Fort Worth, 817/378.4960; chills360.com ● YOLK The littles will flip for the kids’ menu with options like s’mores pancakes and french toast sticks. The regular menu has a mix of breakfast favorites and more creative choices—including adult beverages. 305 Main St., Fort Worth, 817/730-4000; eatyolk.com
TR A I N I N G . L E A RN I N G . P ERFO RM IN G . Dr. Germán Gutiérrez, Music Director
CONTACT US TODAY FOR MORE INFORMATION:
817-923-3121 • FWYO.org FWYO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● COYOTE DRIVE-IN Catch a movie under the stars with the family at Coyote Drive-In. Arrive early to grab concessions and let the kids romp on the playground. In the fall, look for the return of Fort Worth’s only outdoor ice rink, Panther Island Ice. 223 NE Fourth St., Fort Worth, 817/717-7767; coyotedrive-in.com
● FOREST PARK MINIATURE TRAIN See the sights along the Trinity River on this pint-size, open-air locomotive. Train rides last 45–50 minutes; bring cash for tickets. Open Thursday–Sunday. 1700 Colonial Parkway, Fort Worth, 817/336-3328; facebook.com/ forestparkminiaturetrainride ● FOUNTAINS AT SUNDANCE SQUARE PLAZA Take in the city sights and snap Instagrammable pics at Sundance Square, made even more picturesque when the 216 vertical water jets shoot up from the center of the plaza. The fountains are for viewing only at night but open during select daytime hours for play: Monday–Friday 2–6pm and Saturday–Sunday 1–6pm. 201 Main St., Fort Worth, 817/255-5700; sundancesquare.com ● NEAR SOUTHSIDE In this growing, walkable district, try out restaurants like Taste—a pay-what-you-can concept that’s great for a lunch date—or Stir Crazy Baked Goods, and stop by SiNaCa Studios for a walk-up glass art workshop. (They have kids’ classes too.) The district also holds events throughout the year, like the once-a-month concert series in spring and fall. Check the website for a full list of events, shops and restaurants. Parking at 1201 Alston Ave., Fort Worth; nearsouthsidefw.org ● SAFARI SPLASH AT FORT WORTH ZOO The zoo’s very own multilevel splash park has slides on each level, animals that spray water and a tidal tank that dumps water. Download the free Fort Worth Zoo smartphone app for easy navigation around the zoo, including the new 10-acre African savanna habitat. 1989 Colonial Parkway, Fort Worth, 817/7597555; fortworthzoo.org/safari-splash
Mom Groups ● FORT WORTH MOTHERS OF MULTIPLES (MOM) Meetings take place every Third Thursday of the month (except December) at the Western Hills Church of Christ. 8800 Chapin Road, Fort Worth; fwmom.org
TA K A S H I MURAKAMI
JUNE 10–SEPTEMBER 16
Air North Texas
stroll together breathe better
Walking with your child on the way to school or while running errands gives you more quality time together and helps improve air quality. Learn more about helping our air at airnorthtexas.org.
MODERN ART MUSEUM OF FORT WORTH
3200 Darnell Street Fort Worth, Texas 76107 817.738.9215 www.themodern.org © Takashi Murakami/Kaikai Kiki Co., Ltd.
JOIN OUR TRIBE. GET REWARDED. Get connected with DFWChild newsletters to stay updated on local events, exclusive offers, ticket giveaways and more! SIGN UP: DFWCHILD.COM
fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
Catch up with your girlfriends while the kids exercise their imaginations at The Happy Lark’s indoor play area. Elementary schools: 82 Middle schools: 18 High schools: 16
SOUTHWEST FORT WORTH
FORTWORTHTEXAS.GOV BENBROOK-TX.GOV Welcome to the Neighborhood Between the shops, free activities (like kids’ yoga) and food trucks at Clearfork plus the new development at Waterside with a green space where families can gather, Southwest Fort Worth is quickly becoming the go-to place for active families. If you love the locavore lifestyle, this corner of Cowtown will especially appeal to your tastes (ha!) thanks to several standout farmers markets, community gardens and urban farms. Outdoorsy types will feel at home beside the Trinity River, where the Trinity Trails and sprawling green spaces offer recreation opportunities for the family all year round. And though new housing developments have accompanied the retail boom near the river, the traditional neighborhoods near Texas Christian University and Colonial Country Club (including the family favorite Tanglewood) have old-fashioned charm and school spirit in spades—for those prepared to pay a little more.
Education ● FORT WORTH ISD 100 N. University Drive, Fort Worth, 817/871-2000; fwisd.org 10
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL Fort Worth ISD Tanglewood Elementary School, 1991-92
Local Representation U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 6: Rep. Joe Barton 6001 W. Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway, Suite 200, Arlington, 817/543-1000; barton.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/338-0909; kaygranger.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 33: Rep. Marc Veasey 6707 Brentwood Stair Road, Suite 200, Fort Worth, 817/920-9086; veasey.house.gov TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157 ● SENATE DISTRICT 12: Sen. Jane Nelson 1225 S. Main St., Suite 100, Grapevine, 817/424-3446
TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 90: Rep. Ramon Romero Jr. 3663 Airport Freeway, Suite 102, Fort Worth, 817/924-6788 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 95: Rep. Nicole Collier 101. S. Jennings Ave., Suite 103A, Fort Worth, 817/332-1180 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 96: Rep. William Zedler 5840 W. Interstate 20, Suite 110, Arlington, 817/483-1885 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 97: Rep. Craig Goldman 4521 S. Hulen St., Suite 208, Fort Worth, 817/920-5912 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 99: Rep. Charlie Geren 1011 Roberts Cut Off Road, River Oaks, 817/738-8333
Libraries FORT WORTH PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM fortworthtexas.gov/library ● RIDGLEA BRANCH LIBRARY Open Monday noon–8pm and Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 10am–6pm 3628 Bernie Anderson Ave., Fort Worth, 817/392-6631 ● SEMINARY SOUTH BRANCH LIBRARY Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am–
6pm and Wednesday noon–8pm 501 E. Bolt St., Fort Worth, 817/392-5490 ● SOUTHWEST REGIONAL BRANCH Open Monday and Thursday noon–8pm and Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday 10am–6pm 4001 Library Lane, Fort Worth, 817/392-5860 ● WEDGWOOD BRANCH Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 10am–6pm and Tuesday noon–8pm 3816 Kimberly Lane, Fort Worth, 817/392-5480
Health & Fitness 101 FORT WORTH COMMUNITY CENTERS fortworthtexas.gov/parks/centers ● CHISHOLM TRAIL COMMUNITY CENTER 4936 McPherson Blvd., Fort Worth, 817/392-8070 ● COMO COMMUNITY CENTER 4900 Horne St., Fort Worth, 817/392-5300 ● GREENBRIAR COMMUNITY CENTER 5200 Hemphill St., Fort Worth, 817/392-6270 ● RD EVANS COMMUNITY CENTER 3242 Lackland Road, Fort Worth, 817/392-7400 ● SOUTHWEST COMMUNITY CENTER 6300 Welch Ave., Fort Worth, 817/392-7613 ● VICTORY FOREST COMMUNITY CENTER 3427 Hemphill St., Fort Worth, 817/392-8200 Cowtown’s newest community center opened in March 2018 and includes a computer lab, children’s play area and state-of-the-art teaching kitchen for cooking and nutrition classes. YMCA OF METROPOLITAN FORT WORTH ymcafw.org ● ER VAN ZANDT SOUTHWEST YMCA 4750 Barwick Drive, Fort Worth, 817/292-9612
PHOTOS COURTESY OF THE HAPPY LARK, WATERSIDE
● RYAN FAMILY YMCA 8250 McCart Ave., Fort Worth, 817/346-8855
Green Scene ● THE CLEARFORK FARMERS MARKET Open year-round on Saturdays from 8am–noon. Check the website for free events like kids’ yoga, and stick around for shopping at The Shops at
Clearfork or set off to bike the Trinity Trails. 4801 Edwards Ranch Road, Fort Worth, 817/9999791; farmersmarket1848.com ● COWTOWN FARMERS MARKET Open year-round on Saturdays from 8am–noon. Email cowtownfarmersmarket@ gmail.com with questions. 3821 Southwest Blvd., Fort Worth, 817/763-0193; cowtownmarket.com
● LA GRAN PLAZA Get some shopping done and enjoy some family-fun entertainment. The mall hosts kiddie and cultural events, like live musical performances, singing competitions and clowns. 4200 S. Freeway, Fort Worth, 817/922-8888; lagranplazamall.com
● ELIZABETH ANNA URBAN FARM & MARKET Store open Thursday–Saturday 9am–5pm 2825 Eighth Ave., Fort Worth, 817/922-0930; elizabethanna.net ● TARRANT AREA FOOD BANK LEARNING GARDEN 3251 Sappington Place, Fort Worth, 817/857-7100; tafb.org/services/nutrition-services/ community-garden
Chow Down ● HURLEY HOUSE Enjoy their takeaway, family-size meals and baked goods, like cookies, cupcakes and Chex® mixes. Workshops on hospitality and whiskey are also available, starting at $20. Open Monday– Friday 9am–6pm and Saturday 9am–2pm. 5512 Bellaire Drive S., Fort Worth, 817/349-8934; hurley-house.com
Family Factor ● FOREST PARK POOL Fort Worth’s oldest public pool is an oldie (first opened in 1922) but a goodie. Do cannonballs from the diving board, race two friends on the three slides and swim the Olympic-size pool from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. 2850 Forest Park Blvd., Fort Worth, 817/392-5589; fortworthtexas.gov/aquatics ● THE HAPPY LARK This boutique for newborns to kids 6 years old also has an indoor play area (that has coffee ready for you mamas, too). Drop-in rates start at $10, or give in and get a monthly membership for unlimited play. 5816 S. Hulen St., Fort Worth, 682/841-1027; thehappylark.com
● WATERSIDE Head for The Grove, a green space with chalkboards, bocce ball, public restrooms and plenty of Instagram opportunities (ignore the “No Social Media” sign—it’s just ironic public art); take a bike ride on the Trinity Trails; or grab a bite from the likes of Zoës Kitchen and Steel City Pops. Plus, Whole Foods! Bryant Irvin Road and Arborlawn Drive, Fort Worth; watersidefw.com
Mom Groups ● FORT WORTH MOTHERS OF MULTIPLES (MOM) Meetings take place every Third Thursday of the month (except December) at the Western Hills Church of Christ. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for membership inquiries. 8800 Chapin Road, Fort Worth; fwmom.org ● LA LECHE LEAGUE OF FORT WORTH Meets the third Wednesday of every month at 10:30am at University Christian Church. Pregnant and nursing moms are welcome, as are mothers with older children. 2720 S. University Drive, Fort Worth; facebook.com/lalecheleaguefortworth fortworthchild / july 2018
Celebrating 100 years!
At Cook Childrenâ€™s, our specialists are curing more illnesses every day. So while it may be our birthday, what weâ€™re really celebrating is giving more kids, more tomorrows. The best birthday present ever, is one that gives more kids more reasons to celebrate.
Give today for their tomorrows.
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 90: Rep. Ramon Romero Jr. 3663 Airport Freeway, Suite 102, Fort Worth, 817/924-6788 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 93: Rep. Matt Krause 6624 N. Riverside Drive, Suite 330, Fort Worth, 817/847-4900 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 94: Rep. Tony Tinderholt 4381 W. Green Oaks Blvd., Suite 107, Arlington, 817/478-5000 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 95: Rep. Nicole Collier 101. S. Jennings Ave., Suite 103A, Fort Worth, 817/332-1180
In spring, take the kids for a walk in the wildflowers at Tandy Hills Natural Area. Elementary schools: 82 Middle schools: 18 High schools: 16
EAST FORT WORTH
Welcome to the Neighborhood
PHOTO COURTESY OF DON YOUNG
Just a few miles beyond Cowtown’s Central Business District is the secluded White Lake Hills. Nestled in the hills surrounding White Lake, the established area is a scenic respite from the busyness of downtown, with 550plus homes (some with a lake vista) and an active neighborhood association. The nearby neighborhoods of Meadowbrook and Eastern Hills have their roots in the historic Tandy Ranch, so it’s no surprise they border impressive green spaces like the Tandy Hills Natural Area— the prairieland is the prime viewing spot for everything from astronomical events (courtesy of monthly start parties) to an assortment of wildflowers that goes far beyond bluebonnets. Furry friends have their own amenities at Gateway Park, home to the county’s first offleash dog park, Fort Woof. Best of all, these neighborhoods are just a 10-minute drive from all the kid-approved activities downtown.
Education ● FORT WORTH ISD 100 N. University Drive, Fort Worth, 817/871-2000; fwisd.org
U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 6: Rep. Joe Barton 6001 W. Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway, Suite 200, Arlington, 817/543-1000; barton.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/338-0909; kaygranger.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 33: Rep. Marc Veasey 6707 Brentwood Stair Road, Suite 200, Fort Worth, 817/920-9086; veasey.house.gov
● HOUSE DISTRICT 97: Rep. Craig Goldman 4521 S. Hulen St., Suite 208, Fort Worth, 817/920-5912
Libraries FORT WORTH PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM fortworthtexas.gov/library ● EAST REGIONAL Open Monday and Wednesday noon–8pm and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 10am–6pm 6301 Bridge St., Fort Worth, 817/392-5550 ● EAST BERRY BRANCH Open Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday 10am–6pm and Wednesday noon–8pm 4300 E. Berry St., Fort Worth, 817/392-5470 ● E-SKILLS LIBRARY (formerly Meadowbrook Branch) Open Monday noon–8pm and Tuesday– Thursday and Sunday 10am–6pm 2800 Stark St., Fort Worth, 817/392-6621
Health & Fitness 101
TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 9: Sen. Kelly Hancock 9121 Belshire Drive, Suite 200, North Richland Hills, 817/514-3804
FORT WORTH COMMUNITY CENTERS fortworthtexas.gov/parks/centers ● EUGENE MCCRAY COMMUNITY CENTER (reopens October 2018) 4932 Wilbarger St., Fort Worth, 817/392-7146
● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157
● HANDLEY MEADOWBROOK COMMUNITY CENTER (reopens October 2018) 6201 Beaty St., Fort Worth, 817/392-2830 fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
Now accepting new patients.
Co lle y
vill eB lvd .
Hall Johnson Rd.
ColleyvilleFamilyMedicine.com 817.912.9920 5232 Colleyville Blvd., Suite 100 Colleyville, TX 76034
Physician is an employee of HealthTexas Provider Network, a member of Baylor Scott & White Health. ©2018 Baylor Scott & White Health. HTPN_4265_2018 BID
● MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. COMMUNITY CENTER 5565 Truman Drive, Fort Worth, 817/392-5966 ● RIVERSIDE COMMUNITY CENTER 3700 E. Belknap St., Fort Worth, 817/392-7640 ● SYCAMORE COMMUNITY CENTER 2525 E. Rosedale St., Fort Worth, 817/392-7650 ● EASTSIDE YMCA 1500 Sandy Lane, Fort Worth, 817/451-8276; ymcafw.org
Green Scene ● GATEWAY PARK One of the city’s main attractions—and rightfully so—is this 1,000-acre park. The urban-programmed park offers disc golf courses, sports fields, biking trails as well as programmed environmental features to restore and preserve the riverbank, wetlands and parkland. Park at the Oakland Boulevard trailhead to access the east loop of mountain biking trails, or enter through Beach Street for the west loop trail or dog park. Coming for a view of the west fork of the Trinity River? Walk over to the scenic overlooks or launch your kayak for a trip down the Trinity. 1701 N. Beach St., Fort Worth, 817/698-0700; trinityrivervision.org/gateway-park ● TANDY HILLS NATURAL AREA You won’t believe the variety of wildflowers and striking foliage that cover this 160-acre native prairie. Come during the day for a leisurely hike through the fields and after dark for the monthly star parties. 3400 View St., Fort Worth, 817/731-2787; tandyhills.org
Chow Down ● GRIFF’S HAMBURGERS Satisfying the fried fix for many Meadowbrook and White Lake Hills locals, this old-school counter-service chain has the standard burgers and fries, plus a menu of sundaes using every Texan’s favorite sweet treat—Blue Bell ice cream. 4224 E. Lancaster Ave., Fort Worth, 817/5348222; griffshamburgers.com 14
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● TACO HEADS East Fort Worth is only minutes from the heart of downtown, meaning that some of the city’s best restaurants are a quick car ride away. Locals love the fresh bites served up curbside by this famed food truck. Traditional dishes like carnitas tacos and shrimp ceviche are offered alongside more experimental fare like bourbon black beans and charred avocado tacos. Little ones can choose from kid-friendly options like quesadilla, tacos and hand-shucked corn. Save room for dessert— you can’t miss out on the dangerously addictive pan dulce with a scoop of Blue Bell ice cream. 1812 Montgomery St., Fort Worth, 817/6159899; tacoheads.com
● FALL FESTIVAL The annual festival kicks off with a 5K run and closes with a neighborhoodwide potluck dinner. During the festival, locals trace the town’s history from its roots as the home of the Comanche Nation to its requisite cattle-ridden Cowtown years to its currentday state as a family-friendly destination in Tarrant County. whitelakehills.org
● FOURTH OF JULY Local veterans and furry friends have their
PHOTO COURTESY OF CALLOWAY’S NURSERY
Crystal Craig, MD
chance to march or perch on a float during this annual celebration in White Lake Hills. whitelakehills.org ● LOLA’S SALOON AND TRAILER PARK The popular watering hole serves a long list of cheap brews, while the adjacent indoor/outdoor trailer park is a familyand dog-friendly venue that plays host to nightly live music and daytime events like monthly Rock ’n’ Roll Rummage sales, farmers markets, and music lessons and jam sessions. Check out the website for more information about upcoming events. 2735 W. Fifth St., Fort Worth, 817/759-9100; lolassaloon.com ● MEADOWBROOK GOLF COURSE Tee off at the 18-hole course that is considered hillier than many other Lone Star courses. Experienced and novice golfers alike will be challenged on the green. 1815 Jenson Road, Fort Worth, 817/457-4616; fortworthgolf.org ● SYCAMORE SPRAY GROUND Every day during the summer, cool off for free. Enjoy the waterfalls under the giant water bucket, or have some spray play with water cannons and bubblers at this splash zone outside the Sycamore Community Center. 2525 E. Rosedale St., Fort Worth, 817/392-7650; fortworthtexas.gov/ sycamoresprayground
Mom Groups ● MEET YOUR MOAI If you’re new to White Lake Hills, look into joining one of the community’s many moais. These small groups of locals are designed to foster community relationships and healthy habits through fun activities like daily walks, potluck dinners and restaurant meetups. Visit the Blue Zones Project website for more information and to sign up. meetyourmoai.com fortworthchild / july 2018
Saints Will become lifelong learners.
SUNSET CINEMA Thursday, July 12, at 6 p.m. Celebrate the dog days of summer with fun for everyone in the family, including your furry friends. Enjoy a night of PAWsome activities including a screening of Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey.
LEARN MORE: aseschool.org/Admission
LIFE LESSONS FOR, WELL, LIFE. 9700 Saints Circle, Fort Worth, Texas 76108 | 817.560.5700 | aseschool.org All Saintsâ€™ Episcopal School of Fort Worth administers its personnel, academic, extracurricular and tuition assistance programs without regard to gender, race, religion, ethnicity or national origin.
july 2018 / fortworthchild
Visit cartermuseum.org for the full schedule of events. Sponsored by Humphrey & Associates, Inc.
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
NORTH TARRANT (ALLIANCE, HASLET KELLER, ROANOKE, WATAUGA) ALLIANCETEXAS.COM FORTWORTHTEXAS.GOV HASLET.ORG CITYOFKELLER.COM ROANOKETEXAS.COM COWTX.ORG
Welcome to the Neighborhood Away from the urban sprawl of downtown Fort Worth, families have flocked to the good schools, affordable housing and family recreation opportunities in Alliance, Keller, Roanoke and other North Fort Worth areas. If your family is looking for a close, community feel, search no further than Keller’s gated communities and family-friendly neighborhoods. If it’s land you want, check out Haslet and Alliance, where there’s still plenty of acreage to be had. And Watauga is one of the least expensive Fort Worth suburbs, making it a popular choice for young families buying their first piece of Tarrant County. Though North Tarrant residents have a reasonable commute south to Fort Worth, they don’t have to leave town to find things to do with the fam: Keller Town Center and Alliance Town Center both house a movie theater, public parks and dining options, while the Keller Pointe is a recreation hub for the whole family, with a popular indoor-outdoor aquatics center. For good food, there’s Roanoke (the “unique dining capital of Texas”), where historic Oak Street has a string of family-friendly eateries and an old-fashioned candy shop.
Education ● NORTHWEST INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 2001 Texan Drive, Justin, 817/215-0000; nisdtx.org Elementary schools: 18 Middle schools: 6 High schools: 4 ● BIRDVILLE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 6125 E. Belknap St., Haltom City, 817/547-5700;
birdvilleschools.net Elementary schools: 21 Middle schools: 7 High schools: 4 Advanced learning centers: 1 ● KELLER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 350 Keller Parkway, Keller, 817/744-1000; kellerisd.net Elementary schools: 25 Intermediate schools: 4 Middle schools: 7 High schools: 6 ● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS Keller (Keller ISD) Keller High School, 1999-00
Local Representation U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger Areas served: Keller, Watauga, Alliance, Haslet 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/3380909; kaygranger.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 24: Rep. Kenny Marchant Areas served: Keller, Roanoke 9901 E. Valley Ranch Parkway, Suite 2060, Irving, 866/213-3803; marchant.house.gov
933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157 ● SENATE DISTRICT 12: Sen. Jane Nelson Areas served: Keller, Roanoke, Alliance, Haslet 1225 S. Main St., Suite 100, Grapevine, 817/424-3446 TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 63: Rep. Tan Parker Areas served: Keller, Roanoke, Haslet 800 Parker Square, Suite 245, Flower Mound, 972/724-8477 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 90: Rep. Ramon Romero Jr. Area served: Watauga 3663 Airport Freeway, Suite 102, Fort Worth, 817/924-6788 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 91: Rep. Stephanie Klick Areas served: Keller, Watauga, Alliance 6851 NE Loop 820, North Richland Hills, 817/281-0079 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 92: Rep. Jonathan Stickland Area served: Keller 1600 Airport Freeway, Suite 334, Bedford, 817/283-5300
● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 26: Rep. Michael Burgess, M.D. Areas served: Keller, Watauga, Roanoke, Alliance, Haslet 2000 S. Stemmons Freeway, Suite 200, Lake Dallas, 940/497-5031; burgess.house.gov
● HOUSE DISTRICT 93: Rep. Matt Krause Areas served: Keller, Watauga, Alliance, Haslet 6624 N. Riverside Drive, Suite 330, Fort Worth, 817/847-4900
● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 33: Rep. Marc Veasey Area served: Watauga 6707 Brentwood Stair Road, Suite 200, Fort Worth, 817/920-9086; veasey.house.gov
● HOUSE DISTRICT 98: Rep. Giovanni Capriglione Areas served: Keller, Watauga, Roanoke, Alliance, Haslet 1100 Bear Creek Parkway, Keller, 817/431-5339
TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 9: Sen. Kelly Hancock Areas served: Keller, Watauga, Roanoke, Alliance 9121 Belshire Drive, Suite 200, North Richland Hills, 817/514-3804 ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton Area served: Keller
Libraries ● FORT WORTH LIBRARY – SUMMERGLEN BRANCH Open Monday–Wednesday and Friday– Saturday; Monday open till 8pm 4205 Basswood Blvd., Fort Worth, 817/392-5970; fortworthtexas.gov/library fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
register with us for great benets
● KELLER PUBLIC LIBRARY Open daily; Monday–Wednesday open till 8pm 640 Johnson Road, Keller, 817/743-4800; kellerlibrary.org ● ROANOKE PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Thursday 10am–9pm and Friday–Saturday 10am–6pm 308 S. Walnut St., Roanoke, 817/491-2691; roanoketexas.com ● WATAUGA PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday 7109 Whitley Road, Watauga, 817/514-5864; cowtx.org
Health & Fitness 101 ● THE KELLER POINTE This activity center offers plenty of opportunities for the whole family to get fit. 405 Rufe Snow Drive, Keller, 817/743-4386; thekellerpointe.com ● NORTHPARK YMCA 9100 N. Beach St., Fort Worth, 817/993-1333; ymcafw.org ● ROANOKE RECREATION CENTER 501 Roanoke Road, Roanoke, 817/837-9930; roanoketexas.com ● WATAUGA COMMUNITY CENTER 7901 Indian Springs Road, Watauga, 817/5145828; cowtx.org
Green Scene Find a store near you or shop online at
newborns ® to toddlers
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● ALLIANCE TOWN CENTER Come for the restaurants and shopping, then stay longer for the serene green spaces at the center’s two parks. Walk the half-mile trails around Bluestem Park and Prairie Vista Park to spot ducks and birds at the pond and traipse through blackland prairie developed in collaboration with the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. 9550 Sage Meadow Trail, Fort Worth, 817/2246000; alliancetowncenter.com/parks-and-trails ● FOUR SEASONS MARKET This year-round European-style farmers
market works with a network of sources that offer artisanal goods in a festive atmosphere. Open every Sunday from 10am–2pm. Entertainment and kids activities vary by week, plus there are four large events at the change of seasons. 7600 Denton Highway, Watauga, 972/884-0680; fourseasonsmarkets.com ● KELLER FARMERS MARKET May–November, each Saturday from 9am–1pm 400 Bear Creek Parkway, Keller, 682/593-3507; kellerfarmersmarket.com ● ROANOKE FARMERS MARKET April through September, every Saturday from 8am–noon at Austin Street Plaza 221 N. Oak St., Roanoke, 940/391-3360; roanoketexas.com ● WESTWIND CHURCH COMMUNITY GARDEN 1300 Sarah Brooks Drive, Keller, 817/428-6775; westwind-church.org
Chow Down ● BABE’S CHICKEN DINNER HOUSE Enjoy home-style cooking—without the cleanup! This Roanoke location serves just two favorites: chicken-fried steak and Babe’s famous fried chicken. Picky eaters will find a more expansive menu at locations in Dallas, Collin and Denton counties. 104 N. Oak St., Roanoke, 817/491-2900; babeschicken.com ● FNG EATS Keller’s dining destination for locally sourced dishes you’ll love for brunch, lunch, dinner and all those moments in between. Sourcing ingredients from Keller Farmers Market and other local purveyors, the menu offers dishes based on homestyle favorites as well as innovative offerings. The ample kids’ menu (including brunch bites) boasts mac and cheese, flatbread pizza and pasta with seasonal veggies. 201 Town Center Lane, Suite 1101, Keller, 817/741-5200; fngeats.com ● HARD EIGHT BBQ Check out the meal deals for your kiddos. The popular counter-serve joint is a favor-
W E S T L A K E A C A D E M Y
Congratulations to our WA graduates & all graduating seniors across the Metroplex!
PK3 through 12th grade
JULY OPEN HOUSE (PK3-12) Tuesday, July 17, 9am International Baccalaureate World School
Save time! Register in advance:
K-12 Public Charter
Internationally Minded Education Committed to Excellence
Just off Davis Blvd in NRH since 1958!
Call to ask any question about FWC or to schedule your personal guided tour anytime Monday-Thursday in July:
WestlakeAcademy.org 2600 J T Ottinger Rd., Westlake 76262
FWC admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.
Ads with © are © of Lauren Publications, Inc. 2018.
Who has earned your stamp of approval? Nominate your favorites at dfwchild.com for a chance to win a $200 Visa gift card. Survey closes August 5
fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
ite with Roanoke residents for its real-deal smoked meats. Community-style seating plus an outdoor area make this spot a win for the whole family. 205 S. Oak St., Roanoke, 817/837-8888; hardeightbbq.com
Family Factor ● DOWNTOWN KELLER Keller has gained a reputation for its local art scene, from city-funded outdoor sculptural pieces to gallerylike displays at Town Hall. Play “I Spy” as you stroll the streets of shops and restaurants in historic Old Town, and see if your little ones can re-create some of the city’s pieces, like the “Circle of Friends” sculpture on display at the Keller Public Library. 1100 Bear Creek Parkway, Keller, 817/743-4000; cityofkeller.com ● EVENINGS ON OAK STREET Pack a picnic and load your kids and some blankets in the car for this free concert series at Austin Street Plaza in Roanoke’s historic downtown. The town hosts one to two concerts per month from March–September. Plenty of parking and on-site restrooms make this an easy event for families. Before you settle in, stock up on sodas or sweet treats from nearby Hey Sugar!, a throwback candy store. 211 N. Oak St., Roanoke; roanoketexas.com
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● ROANOKE COMMUNITY POOL 416 S. Walnut St., Roanoke, 817/491-0454; roanoketexas.com
Mom Groups ● HASLET MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS (MOPS) Meetings occur the first and third Fridays of the month from September–May at the Fellowship of the Parks Haslet campus. Visit facebook.com/ hasletmops for more details about upcoming family playdates and social events. 1029 Avondale Haslet Road, Haslet; mops.org/groups/hasletmops ● KELLER AREA MOMS The nonprofit serves moms in Keller, Alliance, Haslet, Roanoke, Watauga and neighboring areas. Moms-only social gatherings and philanthropic opportunities are just part of the membership benefits, which also include playdates, holiday parties and couples events. Email kellerareamomsgroup@ gmail.com for more information. kellerareamoms.com ● KELLER EARLY CHILDHOOD PTA Join the PTA and connect with other families in your neighborhood. bigtent.com/groups/kecpta
● KELLER SUMMER NIGHTS Families can pack a picnic and enjoy entertainment al fresco every Thursday evening in June. Free live music starts at 7:30pm and family-friendly movie screenings at 9 pm, hosted on the front lawn of Keller Town Hall. 1100 Bear Creek Parkway, Keller; cityofkeller.com
● LA LECHE LEAGUE OF FORT WORTHALLIANCE This chapter of the breastfeeding-focused mom-to-mom support group serves women in Alliance, Roanoke, Keller, Watauga, Argyle, Trophy Club and beyond. The group meets the first Thursday of every month at 10:30am at the Southlake Public Library. 1400 Main St., Southlake; facebook.com/lllalliance
● ROANOKE SPLASH PARKS Both parks have a splash pad and much more: a playground, picnic pavilion, basketball courts and a paved walking trail that encircles the park. The Cannon Parkway location (down the street from Hawaiian Falls) also has a large skate park. 750 Cannon Parkway, Roanoke 107 Hillsborough Drive, Roanoke 817/837-9930; roanoketexas.com
● MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS (MOPS) OF NORTHWOOD CHURCH Meetings are the second and fourth Fridays of the month from September–May. Annual membership dues are $120, including the cost of child care. Email email@example.com for more information, or call Andi McGrath at 817/656-8150, extension 117. 1870 Rufe Snow Drive, Keller; northwoodchurch.org/events/mothers-ofpreschoolers-mops
Providing a christ-centered education for students k-12
NOW ENROLLING 4700 N. Beach St., Fort Worth, TX 76137 817.281.6446 • www.bcsfw.org
All Skills • Grades Pre-K - 12
fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
NORTHEAST TARRANT: COLLEYVILLE, GRAPEVINE, SOUTHLAKE, TROPHY CLUB & WESTLAKE
COLLEYVILLE.COM GRAPEVINETEXAS.GOV CITYOFSOUTHLAKE.COM TROPHYCLUB.ORG WESTLAKE-TX.ORG Welcome to the Neighborhood
Residents will tell you that this corner of Tarrant County is the ideal place to call home, with high-end shopping, restaurants, entertainment, parks, safe neighborhoods, good schools—you name it (and the housing prices reflect it). Southlake is the center of it all for families putting down roots in the area, whether you’re looking for master-planned living or established, tree-lined neighborhoods. The always-hopping Southlake Town Square has luxury retailers, green spaces and restaurants and plays host to family-friendly events throughout the year. Southlake may also be a good fit if your little one can throw a perfect spiral—the town has a history of nationally ranked high school football teams. Though similar in cost of living, Colleyville is more of a bedroom community with quieter neighborhoods, an eclectic mix of home styles and lots of mature trees, as well as a dreamy nature center perfect for Saturday morning walks. And, though it’s best known for being a stone’s throw from the airport, Grapevine has seen a residential and cultural boom in the last few decades, thanks to retail amenities like Grapevine Mills and resort destinations like Great Wolf Lodge and the Gaylord Texan (not to mention the walkable historic downtown where there always seems to be an event going on). For more exclusive amenities, look to Trophy Club and Westlake; the former is known for its golf course living and gated communities, while the latter has stunning homes on sprawling acreage for families who are willing to pay top dollar.
Education ● GRAPEVINE-COLLEYVILLE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 22
july 2018 / fortworthchild
3051 Ira E. Woods Ave., Grapevine, 817/251-5200; gcisd-k12.org Elementary schools: 11 Middle schools: 4 High schools: 3 ● SOUTHLAKE: CARROLL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 2400 N. Carroll Ave., Southlake, 817/949-8222; southlakecarroll.edu Elementary schools: 5 Intermediate schools: 2 Middle schools: 2 High schools: 2 ● TROPHY CLUB: NORTHWEST INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 2001 Texan Drive, Justin, 817/215-0000; nisdtx.org Elementary schools: 18 Middle schools: 6 High schools: 4 ● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS Colleyville (Grapevine-Colleyville ISD) Bransford Elementary School, 1998-99 Colleyville Elementary School, 1998-99 Glenhope Elementary School, 2000-01 Heritage Middle School, 1997-98 O.C. Taylor Elementary School, 1996-97 Grapevine (Private) Holy Trinity Catholic School, 2003 Grapevine (Grapevine-Colleyville ISD) Grapevine High School, 1999-2000 Grapevine Middle School, 1994-96 Heritage Elementary School, 1998-99; 2006 Timberline Elementary School, 2000-01 Southlake (Carroll ISD) Carroll Elementary School, 1993-94 Carroll High School, 1994-96 Carroll Middle School, 1994-96 Johnson Elementary School, 1993-94 Robert H. Rockenbaugh Elementary School, 2006 Southlake (Keller ISD) Florence Elementary School, 1993-94
Local Representation U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 24: Rep. Kenny Marchant Areas served: Colleyville, Grapevine,
Westlake, Trophy Club 9901 E. Valley Ranch Parkway, Suite 2060, Irving, 866/213-3803; marchant.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 26: Rep. Michael Burgess, M.D. Areas served: Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club 2000 S. Stemmons Freeway, Suite 200, Lake Dallas, 940/497-5031; burgess.house.gov TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 9: Sen. Kelly Hancock Areas served: Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club 9121 Belshire Drive, Suite 200, North Richland Hills, 817/514-3804 ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton Areas served: Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157 ● SENATE DISTRICT 12: Sen. Jane Nelson Areas served: Grapevine, Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club 1225 S. Main St., Suite 100, G rapevine, 817/424-3446 ● SENATE DISTRICT 16: Sen. Don Huffines Area served: Grapevine 8222 Douglas Ave., Suite 675, Dallas, 214/239-6131 TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 63: Rep. Tan Parker Areas served: Grapevine, Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club 800 Parker Square, Suite 245, Flower Mound, 972/724-8477 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 92: Rep. Jonathan Stickland Area served: Colleyville 1600 Airport Freeway, Suite 334, Bedford, 817/283-5300 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 98: Rep. Giovanni Capriglione Areas served: Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club 1100 Bear Creek Parkway, Keller, 817/431-5339 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 115: Rep. Matt Rinaldi Area served: Grapevine
12300 Ford Road, Suite B348, Farmers Branch, 972/247-8994
Libraries ● COLLEYVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Tuesday and Thursday 110 Main St., Colleyville, 817/503-1150; colleyvillelibrary.com ● GRAPEVINE PUBLIC LIBRARY Open daily; open till 9pm Monday–Thursday 1201 Municipal Way, Grapevine, 817/410-3400; grapevinetexas.gov ● SOUTHLAKE PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Thursday 10am–8pm, Friday and Saturday 10am–6pm 1400 Main St., Suite 130, Southlake, 817/748-8243; southlakelibrary.com
Health & Fitness 101 ● FIT4MOM Join other moms in the Grapevine and Colleyville area for group exercise classes, from exercises designed for moms-to-be and a stroller-based barre class to an eight-week boot camp and run club (with strollers). Classes are held at Andrew Brown Park East, Parr Park, the REC of Grapevine and the CORE in Coppell. 682/651-7895; grapevine.fit4mom.com ● THE MARQ SOUTHLAKE Southlake has a new fitness and recreation center in the works. The Champions Club, part of The Marq Southlake, will open late December 2018. This new facility will boast a state-of-the-art fitness center, group fitness, personal training, plus child care available. 285 Shady Oaks Drive, Southlake 817/748-8900; experiencesouthlaketexas.com
special needs) and a playground. 450 W. Southlake Blvd., Southlake, 817/748-8019; cityofsouthlake.com ● BOB JONES NATURE CENTER AND PRESERVE The nature center is open Tuesday–Saturday 9am–5pm, and trails are open daily from dawn till dusk. 355 E. Bob Jones Road, Southlake, 817/491-6333; bjnc.org ● COTTON BELT TRAIL Stretching 11 miles one way, this regional paved trail currently connects four cities, with plans for future extensions. Go for a family bike ride from Grapevine (at Ball Street and Ira E. Woods Avenue) through Colleyville and Hurst to North Richland Hills and back. ● COLLEYVILLE NATURE CENTER This 46-acre natural refuge features nine ponds great for morning fishing, a playground and 3.5 miles of trails for daytime exploring. Mill Creek and Mill Wood drives, Colleyville; 817/503-1180; colleyvilleparksandrec.com ● FOUR SEASONS MARKET Every Saturday from 9am–2pm, shop for locally sourced organic produce and artisanal goods. This new European-style farmers market is open year-round—even through less-than-perfect weather. Entertainment and kids’ activities vary by week, and look for four larger events at the change of seasons. 100 Main St., Colleyville, 972/884-0680; fourseasonsmarkets.com
● GRAPEVINE LAKE Grapevine Lake is located in the heart of DallasFort Worth on the northern border of the city of Grapevine. The roughly 8,000-acre lake is wonderful for fishing, recreational boating, camping, hiking and much more. Check the website for information about camping; renting cabins, kayaks and boats; exploring the parks and trails; and more. gograpevine.com
● BICENTENNIAL PARK Multiuse trails cover nearly every corner of Bicentennial, one of Southlake’s largest parks, also home to The Marq Southlake activity center, baseball fields (including the Miracle League Field for those who have children with
● MCPHERSON PARK Play underneath the water buckets, a red windmill that sprays water and a spray arch with frog eyes at this park’s seasonal splash pad. Follow the park trail to find a wildflower field and take a peek inside the renovated dairy barn.
240 W. McDonwell School Road, Colleyville, 817/503-1180; colleyvilleparksandrec.com ● OAK GROVE PARK This recreational 40-acre park is the largest on the lake. It’s a favorite for fishing, bird watching and boating, as well as sports—the park is home to Grapevine’s multisport complex. 2520 Oak Grove Loop S., Grapevine, 800/457-6338; gograpevine.com ● PARR PARK This 31-acre park is a one-stop destination for families of all ages. Two playgrounds offer fun for toddlers and big kids, while Mom can get her sweat on thanks to the adjacent workout area. Cool down at the nearby sprayground, or explore the trails within the park that connect to the Big Bear Creek Trail. 3010 Parr Lane, Grapevine, 817/410-3000; gograpevine.com ● ROCKLEDGE PARK The starting point to North Shore Trail is located on the east side of Grapevine Lake on the north side of the dam. This park is popular for its picturesque qualities, with views from the bluffs overlooking the lake. 3600 Pilot Point, Grapevine, 817/454-1058; gograpevine.com ● TROPHY CLUB COUNTRY CLUB Golf enthusiasts covet a membership to this club that features a golf simulator and two 18-hole courses designed by golf legend and Cowtown local Ben Hogan. Non-golfing families can enjoy the club’s tennis courts, sports area, pool and restaurant. 500 Trophy Club Drive, Trophy Club, 817/837-1900; clubcorp.com/clubs ● TROPHY CLUB PARK NATURE PRESERVE At the northwestern tip of Grapevine Lake, explore the park teeming with wildlife and thriving vegetation. A motocross track and ATV trails, a ramp for boats or kayaks, disc golf, and equestrian and hiking trails offer something for everyone. 2885 Trophy Park Drive, Trophy Club, 682/237-2926; trophyclubpark.com ● TROPHY CLUB PARK Explore the 877 acres of flora and fauna in this heavily wooded nature preserve located on the fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
northwestern tip of Grapevine Lake. Visitors also appreciate the 30-person covered pavilion with clean bathrooms. 2885 Trophy Park Drive, Trophy Club, 682/2372926; trophyclubpark.com ● WESTLAKE TRAILS You’ll find shade structures and drinking fountains along the 10-plus paved miles of trails, with a portion along a creek. Enter from any of the five trailheads; the one on the east side of Davis Boulevard between Solana Boulevard and Dove Road has the most parking. Go online for a complete map of trails. 817/430-0941; westlake-tx.org
Chow Down ● COSTA VIDA While every neighborhood boasts that it has the “best taco,” locals are partial to the offerings at this family-friendly chain. Supersized salads, quesadilla platters and tres leches cake are always on the menu and can be washed down with bottles of Jarritos soda or housemade horchata. 5615 Colleyville Blvd., Colleyville, 817/6561700; costavida.com ● PALIO’S PIZZA CAFÉ With a robust menu of specialty and basic options, choosing a pizza for even the pickiest eaters is as easy as pie. 5712 Colleyville Blvd., Suite 130, Colleyville, 817/605-7555; paliospizzacafe.com ● RAINFOREST CAFÉ Located in Grapevine Mills Mall, this restaurant offers up plenty of kid-approved bites like hot dogs and pizza, but let’s be honest—the real reason to dine here are the animatronic creatures that growl, purr and roar throughout your meal. After satisfying your jungle appetite, be sure to venture across the mall for a visit to Legoland Discovery Center. 3000 Grapevine Mills Parkway, Grapevine, 972/539-5001; rainforestcafe.com ● UNCLE JULIO’S If your kiddos have a taste for Tex-Mex, visit this colorful and fun restaurant for a family fiesta. While your group waits for a table, 24
july 2018 / fortworthchild
your kids can be set up with a kid’s menu that offers Spanish lessons and activities. 1301 William D. Tate Ave., Grapevine; 817/4168416; unclejulios.com ● VILLAGE CAFÉ & BAKERY From breakfast bites and sandwiches to salads and Korean-style bulgogi bowls, you’ll find more than the standard coffee shop fare at this café. Mom will love the customizable salad options while kiddos can’t get enough of the in-house BingSoo, a flavored Korean shaved ice treat. 85 Village Lane, Colleyville, 682/325-4080; villagecafeandbakery.com
Family Factor ● GRAPEVINE VINTAGE RAILROAD Choo-choo through time aboard these Victorian-style trains. While families can reserve one-hour round-trip excursions for private parties (with train robbers and musicians for an additional cost), Grapevine residents know to ride the rails during seasonal holidays like Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Easter and Memorial Day. 636 S. Main St., Grapevine, 817/410-3185; grapevinetexasusa.com ● KIDSVILLE AT CITY PARK Play among the treetops at this treehousethemed play structure. The 10,000-squarefoot playground includes a large play web, telescopes, rock-climbing structures and a 20-foot-tall platform and slide. 5109 Bransford Road, Colleyville, 817/503-1180; colleyvilleparksandrec.com ● NASH FARM Get back to the rural roots of Cowtown at monthly workshops on the 5.2-acre historical landmark. The farm offers year-round dropin visits and tours, but not to be missed are educational events to teach your babes what life was like during the pioneer days of Grapevine. Every first Friday of the month, Nash Farm hosts a family-friendly activity session for ages 3 and up for just $3 per person. 626 Ball St., Grapevine, 817/410-3558; grape vinetexasusa.com/nash-farm ● SMALL WORLD BIG IMAGINATION Children 10 and under can partake in open
AL!* E M S ’ D I K FREE er, discount or h any other off rée. Not valid wit location only. se of an adult ent id at Grapevine cha val pur er Off the b. ith Clu *W discount. Select e ’s eiv dry rec Lan to ing present coupon promotion includ per table. Must strictions apply. Limit one coupon cash value. Re or gratuity, no 48 Not valid on tax 8-8 Code: 564-22
GRAPEVINE MILLS 972.539.5001 rainforestcafe.com
fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
play at Small World BIG Imagination, where they can pretend in a mini market or hospital or imagine being a firefighter for the day. You can also host your kiddo’s birthday party here. 280 Commerce St., Ste. 125, Southlake, 682/3057924; smallworldbigimagination.com
Helping children find their KEY to success. Begin your child’s journey today. Now enrolling grades K–12 for the 2018–2019 school year.
keyschoolfortworth.org (817) 446-3738 firstname.lastname@example.org
● SOUTHLAKE TOWN SQUARE At this sprawling outdoor mall, Mom can get in some retail therapy and the kiddos can let out some energy on the lawn at Rustin Park. The Square is home base for events throughout the year, including Stars & Stripes and Art in the Square. 1560 E. Southlake Blvd., Suite 100, Southlake; southlaketownsquare.com ● STUDIO MOVIE GRILL Families can take in a dinner and a show at this nationwide chain that plays the newest blockbusters and family-friendly hits. Upgrade from typical concession snacks like candy and popcorn in favor of restaurantquality fare delivered right to your seat. The special kid’s menu combos include a cookie and juice box with every order. 5655 Colleyville Blvd., Colleyville, 817/770-8259; studiomoviegrill.com
open to the public (for age 11 and younger but best for 4 and younger). Check in at the desk and take a seat on the couches while your littles play on the tubes and slides and toddlers explore the soft play area. Open Monday–Thursday 8am–5pm, Friday 8am–1pm. 185 S. White Chapel Blvd., Southlake, 817/4814147; whiteschapelumc.com
Mom Groups ● GCS MOMS LEAGUE This local nonprofit group is dedicated to serving moms in Colleyville, Grapevine and Southlake. Family outings and playdates let kids bond as they burn off some excess energy, while ladies-only gatherings like monthly book clubs, ladies’ night out and member mingles allow Mom the chance to have some fun without the family. gcsmomsleague.org ● LA LECHE LEAGUE OF GRAPEVINE This chapter of the breastfeeding momto-mom support group meets the first Wednesday of the month at 10am at the Grapevine Birthing Center. Contact email@example.com to inquire about memberships. 409 W. Wall St., Grapevine; facebook.com/la-lech-league-of-grapevine ● LAKE CITIES MOTHERS OF MULTIPLES (MOMS) Meets the third Tuesday of the month at St. Laurence Church at 7pm. Email president@ lcmom.org for membership inquiries. lcmom.org
● WESLEY PLAYGROUND AT WHITE’S CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH This Chick-fil-A–style indoor play place is 26
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● WHITE’S CHAPEL UMC MOMSNEXT Meets the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. 185 S. White Chapel Blvd., Southlake, 817/4814147; mops.org/groups/http--wwwmopsorggroups-whites-chapel-umc-momsnext
PHOTO COURTESY OF TASTE BUDS KITCHEN
● TASTE BUDS KITCHEN Littles as young as age 4 can give cooking a try at Taste Buds Kitchen classes. Camps, Mommy & Me classes and even adult classes are available. Check the website for a schedule of upcoming classes. 2140 E. Southlake Blvd., Southlake, 817/4880538; tastebudskitchen.com
● TROPHY CLUB FAMILIES Get to know your neighbors by joining this play group organization. In addition to family-friendly play dates and events, the group also organizes moms’ nights out and other social and philanthropic opportunities to get involved in the Trophy Club community. trophyclubfamilies.com
We’re close, for comfort. Your neighborhood hospital is closer than you think.
24/7 Emergency Care
Inpatient Care Online Check-In Available
On-site Labs & Imaging
W Camp Wisdom Rd
Grand Prairie 3095 Kingswood Blvd Grand Prairie, TX 75052 972.854.0009
Photography may include models or actors and may not represent actual patients. Physicians provide clinical services as members of the medical staff at one of Baylor Scott & White Health’s subsidiary, community or affiliated medical centers and do not provide clinical services as employees or agents of those medical centers or Baylor Scott & White Health. ©2018 Baylor Scott & White Health.
Check in online at BSWEH.org/CheckIn
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
HURST, EULESS, BEDFORD & NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
NRHTX.COM HURSTTX.GOV EULESSTX.GOV BEDFORDTX.GOV
Welcome to the Neighborhood These four cities may not be as happening as nearby Southlake, but with a more central location and lower cost of living, this is a desirable part of town for families who appreciate the comfortable neighborhoods and kid-friendly recreation opportunities. You get the best of both worlds in North Richland Hills: a smalltown feel and a few big-city amenities and attractions, like a citywide trail system and NRH2O, a water park long beloved by DallasFort Worth families. The city blends seamlessly with Hurst—one of the three Mid-Cities—at the nexus of Highway 183 and Loop 820, where tolled express lanes have made it even easier to head west to Fort Worth or east into Dallas. This junction is also the home of Hurst’s North East Mall, a family go-to with kid-approved restaurants like BJ’s (Pizookie, anyone?) and a three-story movie theater. Hurst, Euless and Bedford have a lot of older, more established neighborhoods, but Euless and Bedford command higher housing prices.
Education ● BIRDVILLE ISD 6125 E. Belknap St., Haltom City, 817/547-5700; birdvilleschools.net Elementary schools: 21 Middle schools: 4 High schools: 5 Advanced learning centers: 1 ● HURST-EULESS-BEDFORD ISD 1849 Central Drive, Bedford, 817/283-4461; hebisd.edu Elementary schools: 20 Junior high schools: 5 High schools: 2 ● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS North Richland Hills (private)
St. John the Apostle Catholic School, 2008 North Richland Hills (Birdville ISD) Green Valley Elementary School, 2005 North Ridge Elementary School, 1998-99 Smithfield Elementary School, 2017 Hurst Hurst Junior High School, 2010 Euless Bear Creek Elementary School, 1998-99 Central Junior High School, 2010 Bedford (HEB ISD) Harwood Junior High School, 1986-87
Local Representation U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger Areas served: Hurst, North Richland Hills 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/338-0909; kaygranger.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 24: Rep. Kenny Marchant Areas served: Hurst, Euless, Bedford, North Richland Hills 9901 E. Valley Ranch Parkway., Suite 2060, Irving, 866/213-3803; marchant.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 26: Rep. Michael Burgess, M.D. Area served: North Richland Hills 2000 S. Stemmons Freeway, Suite 200, Lake Dallas, 940/497-5031; burgess.house.gov TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 9: Sen. Kelly Hancock Areas served: Hurst, Euless, Bedford, North Richland Hills 9121 Belshire Drive, Suite 200, North Richland Hills, 817/514-3804 ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton Areas served: Hurst, Euless, Bedford, North Richland Hills 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157
Areas served: Hurst, North Richland Hills 6851 NE Loop 820, North Richland Hills, 817/281-0079 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 92: Rep. Jonathan Stickland Areas served: Hurst, Euless, Bedford, North Richland Hills 1600 Airport Freeway, Suite 334, Bedford, 817/283-5300 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 93: Rep. Matt Krause Areas served: Hurst, Euless 6624 N. Riverside Drive, Suite 330, Fort Worth, 817/847-4900 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 98: Rep. Giovanni Capriglione Areas served: Hurst, Euless, Bedford 1100 Bear Creek Parkway, Keller, 817/431-5339
Libraries ● BEDFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY Open daily; Monday, Wednesday and Thursday open till 9pm 2424 Forest Ridge Drive, Bedford, 817/952-2350; bedfordlibrary.org ● HURST PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; Tuesday and Thursday open till 9pm 901 Precinct Line Road, Hurst, 817/788-7300; hursttx.gov/library ● MARY LIB SALEH EULESS PUBLIC LIBRARY Open daily; open till 9pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 201 N. Ector Drive, Euless, 817/685-1480; euless.org/library ● NORTH RICHLAND HILLS PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Thursday 9am–9pm, Friday 9am– 6pm and Saturday 9am–5pm 9015 Grand Ave., North Richland Hills, 817/427-6800; library.nrhtx.com
Health & Fitness 101
● SENATE DISTRICT 12: Sen. Jane Nelson Area served: Euless 1225 S. Main St., Suite 100, Grapevine, 817/424-3446
● AIRPORT AREA YMCA 3524 Central Drive, Bedford, 817/571-3371; ymcafw.org
TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 91: Rep. Stephanie Klick
● BOYS RANCH ACTIVITY CENTER 2801 Forest Ridge Drive, Bedford, 817/952-2323; bedfordtx.gov fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
Serving Toddlers, Children and Teens
o See You ve T Sm o L i
In-Office Sedation – Hospital Dentistry Parents Welcome in the Treatment Room
Manivara P. Krone, D.D.S.
Diplomate, American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
G ACCEPTIN NTS NEW PATIE
pediatricsmiles.net 3004 Hwy 121 @ Harwood, Ste. B Bedford
● HURST RECREATION CENTER 700 Mary Drive, Hurst, 817/788-7325; hursttx.gov ● NRH CENTRE 6000 Hawk Ave., North Richland Hills, 817/427-6600; nrhcentre.com
Green Scene ● ADVENTURE WORLD PLAYGROUND This woodlands-inspired playground is located on the southern end of the 100-acre Cross Timbers Park with hike and bike trails (soft and concrete surfaces) that extend through the park. 7451 Starnes Road, North Richland Hills, 817/427-6620; nrhtx.com ● BEDFORD FARMERS MARKET Open year-round: Monday–Saturday 8am–7pm, Sunday 9am–6pm 2824 Brown Trail, Bedford, 817/358-9510; facebook.com/bfmkt ● BEDFORD TRAILS LINEAR PARK Walk or bike the 1.5-mile paved trail that runs from Woodpark Lane on the east, by the Bark Park at Meadow Park, to Forest Ridge Drive, then up the street to the Boys Ranch Activity Center. 817/952-2323; bedfordtx.gov ● CENTRAL PARK Tarrant County’s own Central Park features 17.5 acres of park land that includes a playground and a pavilion. With a capacity of about 40 and three picnic tables, it’s an ideal space to rent for birthday parties and other events. 700 block of Mary Drive, 817/788-7327; hursttx.gov ● CHISHOLM PARK This 50-acre park is not only the largest in Hurst, with walking trails, two playgrounds and a fishing pond, but it also is home to the Chisholm Aquatics Center. The seasonal water park features slide towers that spill out into a lazy river, diving boards into a separate pool, a kiddie playground and a splash pad. 2200 Norwood Drive, Hurst, 817/788-7250; hursttx.gov
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● VILLAGES OF BEAR CREEK PARK Play at the two tree-shaded playgrounds in the park. For even more fun, explore the 3-mile nature trail—complete with educational signs about plant and tree species— that connects to the Preserve at McCormick Park and farther west to Bob Eden Park. 1951 Bear Creek Parkway, Euless, 817/6851429; eulesstx.gov/pacs/parks
Family Factor ● BEDFORD SPLASH AQUATIC CENTER During the summer months, beat the heat at this water playground. Big kids should head straight to the ProBOWL, a high-thrill body slide that spins riders like a water cyclone, while littles will love the water slide and beached boat in the tot pool. 2801 Forest Ridge Drive, Bedford, 817/9522384; bedfordsplash.com ● CENTRAL AQUATICS CENTER Kids can explore the splash pad and interactive water features, take turns on one of three berm slides or sail down the big slide that dumps into a receiving pool, and play in the activity pool with zero-depth entry. 715 Mary Drive, Hurst, 817/788-7327; hursttx.gov ● NATATORIUM AND AQUATIC PARK Splash year-round indoors at the natatorium and during the heat of the summer at the outdoor water park with a toddler playground, lazy river and a lilypad walk. 300 W. Midway Drive, Euless, 817/685-1666 (natatorium), 817/399-4715 (aquatic park)
Mom Groups ● MID-CITIES MOTHERS OF MULTIPLES (MCMOMS) Meets the fourth Thursday of the month at First Baptist Church of Hurst at 7pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for membership inquiries. 1801 Norwood Drive, Hurst; mcmoms.org ● MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS (MOPS) OF LEGACY CHURCH OF CHRIST Meets two Friday mornings every month. 8801 Mid-Cities Blvd., North Richland Hills; legacycoc.org/mops
Now through August 19
The Novus Academy provides an accredited and customizable educational program to students with learning differences and challenges, such as: ADD/ADHD; depression; anxiety; dyslexia; dysgraphia; and other language-based disorders. Our nurturing, innovative, and stimulating learning environment inspires confidence, respect, and self-worth in our students. They are supported as individuals through a variety of multi-sensory approaches and taught how to remove barriers to success. If your child is struggling in a school or system that is not catering to their specific needs or strengths, please call to schedule a tour and see our MAGIC in action!
TheNovusAcademy.org 204 N. Dooley St. Grapevine, TX 76051
Nagaraja, Tibet, 15th c., gilt bronze. The Sam and Myrna Myers Collection. Photo by Thierry Ollivier
Exists to Develop & Graduate Authentic Christian Leaders To learn more or to register visit: GrapevineFaith.com/admissions or 817.442.9144
fortworthchild / july 2018 GFCS_1.4vert.indd 1
31 6/7/18 1:43 PM
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
ARLINGTON, MANSFIELD, DALWORTHINGTON GARDENS & GRAND PRAIRIE
ARLINGTON-TX.GOV MANSFIELDTEXAS.GOV CITYOFDWG.NET GPTX.ORG
Welcome to the Neighborhood These would be your typical suburbs if it weren’t for the entertainment mecca along Interstate 30—for residents in this part of Tarrant and Dallas counties, it’s an easy drive to Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Cowboys games and Texas Live!, the entertainment complex that will adjoin the Rangers’ new ballpark. And the recently opened Epic Waters indoor water park is a big bonus for families in Grand Prairie, who get discounted admission and membership. In fact, new construction is a theme around these parts—congestion notwithstanding, residents can look forward to a ton of amenities arriving in the near future, including expanded dining options, charter schools and the rest of Grand Prairie’s EpicCentral development, which will house a 10-acre all-abilities playground and a massive, family-oriented rec center. South of Arlington, Mansfield is a diverse suburb that’s quite a bit smaller and slightly further from Fort Worth; thankfully, continued growth has brought new shops, restaurants and parks to the city.
Education ● ARLINGTON ISD 1203 W. Pioneer Parkway, Arlington, 682/867-4611; aisd.net Early education centers: 1 Elementary schools: 52 Junior high schools: 10 High schools: 9 ● MANSFIELD ISD 605 E. Broad St., Mansfield, 817/299-6300; mansfieldisd.org Elementary schools: 23 Intermediate schools: 6 Middle schools: 7 High schools: 6 32
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● GRAND PRAIRIE ISD 2602 S. Belt Line Rd., Grand Prairie, 972/264-6141; gpisd.org Elementary schools: 11 Middle schools: 6 High schools: 3 ● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS Arlington (private) The Montessori Academy, 1998-99 Arlington (Arlington ISD) Pope Elementary School, 1985-86 Grand Prairie (private) Immaculate Conception School, 1985-86
Local Representation U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 6: Rep. Joe Barton Areas served: Arlington, Mansfield, Dalworthington Gardens, Grand Prairie 6001 W. Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway, Suite 200, Arlington, 817/543-1000; barton.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 25: Rep. Roger Williams Area served: Mansfield 115 S. Main St., Suite 206, Cleburne, 817/774-2575; williams.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 30: Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson Area served: Grand Prairie 1825 Market Center Blvd., Suite 440, Dallas, 214/922-8885; ebjohnson.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 33: Rep. Marc Veasey Areas served: Arlington, Grand Prairie 6707 Brentwood Stair Road, Suite 200, Fort Worth, 817/920-9086; veasey.house.gov TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 9: Sen. Kelly Hancock Areas served: Arlington, Grand Prairie 9121 Belshire Drive, Suite 200, North Richland Hills, 817/514-3804 ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton Areas served: Arlington, Mansfield, Dalworthington Gardens, Grand Prairie 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157
● SENATE DISTRICT 22: Sen. Brian Birdwell Areas served: Arlington, Mansfield, Grand Prairie 1315 Waters Edge Drive, Suite 116, Granbury, 817/573-9622 ● SENATE DISTRICT 23: Sen. Royce West Area served: Grand Prairie 5787 S. Hampton Rd., Suite 385, Dallas, 214/467-0123 TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 10: Rep. John Wray Areas served: Mansfield, Grand Prairie 2001 Bates Drive, Suite 120, Waxahachie, 972/938-9392 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 58: Rep. DeWayne Burns Area served: Mansfield 115 S. Main St., Suite 202, Cleburne, 817/645-3685 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 92: Rep. Jonathan Stickland Areas served: Arlington, Grand Prairie 1600 Airport Freeway, Suite 334, Bedford, 817/283-5300 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 93: Rep. Matt Krause Areas served: Arlington, Grand Prairie 6624 N. Riverside Drive, Suite 330, Fort Worth, 817/847-4900 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 94: Rep. Tony Tinderholt Areas served: Arlington, Mansfield, Dalworthington Gardens 4381 W. Green Oaks Blvd., Suite 107, Arlington, 817/478-5000 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 95: Rep. Nicole Collier Area served: Arlington 101. S. Jennings Ave., Suite 103A, Fort Worth, 817/332-1180 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 96: Rep. William Zedler Areas served: Arlington, Mansfield 5840 W. Interstate 20, Suite 110, Arlington, 817/483-1885 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 101: Rep. Chris Turner Areas served: Arlington, Mansfield, Grand Prairie 320 Westway Place, Suite 501, Arlington, 817/459-2800 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 104: Rep. Roberto R. Alonzo Area served: Grand Prairie 312 W. 12th St., Suite A, Dallas, 214/942-7104
● HOUSE DISTRICT 105: Rep. Rodney Anderson Area served: Grand Prairie 800 W. Airport Freeway, Suite 1100, Irving, 469/713-6581 ● HOUSE DISTRICT 111: Rep. Yvonne Davis Area served: Grand Prairie 5785 S. Hampton Road, Suite 447, Dallas, 214/941-3895
Libraries ARLINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM 817/459-6900; arlingtonlibrary.org ● EAST ARLINGTON BRANCH LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 1624 New York Ave., Arlington ● GEORGE W. HAWKES DOWNTOWN LIBRARY This colorful, new downtown library opened in June 2018. Check out the interactive Discover wall and the playroom for story times and other library events. Open daily; Monday–Thursday open till 9pm. 100 S. Center St., Arlington ● LAKE ARLINGTON BRANCH LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 4000 W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington ● NORTHEAST BRANCH LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 1905 Brown Blvd., Arlington ● SOUTHEAST BRANCH LIBRARY Open daily; Monday–Thursday till 8pm 900 SE Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington ● SOUTHWEST BRANCH LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 3311 SW Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington ● WOODLAND WEST BRANCH LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 2837 W. Park Row Drive, Arlington GRAND PRAIRIE PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM gptx.org/library
● BETTY WARMACK LIBRARY Open daily; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 760 Bardin Road, Grand Prairie, 972/ 237-5770 ● GRAND PRAIRIE MAIN LIBRARY Open daily; open till 9pm Monday–Thursday 901 Conover Drive, Grand Prairie, 972/237-5700 ● TONY SHOTWELL LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Monday–Thursday 2750 Graham St., Grand Prairie, 972/237-7540 ● MANSFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Tuesday and Thursday 104 S. Wisteria St., Mansfield, 817/ 728-3690; mansfieldtexas.gov
Health & Fitness 101 ARLINGTON RECREATION CENTERS naturallyfun.org ● CLIFF NELSON RECREATION CENTER 4600 W. Bardin Road, Arlington, 817/561-2819 ● DOTTIE LYNN RECREATION CENTER A preschool program and adult classes are available, including aerobics and weight training. 3200 Norwood Lane, Arlington, 817/277-5001 ● ELZIE ODOM ATHLETIC CENTER 1601 NE Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington, 817/459-6434 ● HUGH SMITH RECREATION CENTER Swim year-round at this rec center with an indoor pool. 1815 New York Ave., Arlington, 817/275-1351 ● KIRBY CREEK NATATORIUM The facility has heated indoor pools, water aerobics classes and space for you to host your little ones’ birthday parties. Call ahead for inquiries on booking party reservations. 3201 Corn Valley Road, Grand Prairie, 972/237-4170; grandfungp.com ● MANSFIELD ACTIVITIES CENTER 106 S. Wisteria St., Mansfield, 817/728-3680; mansfieldparks.com ● MANSFIELD ISD NATATORIUM 1001 N. Holland Road, Mansfield, 817/276-5230; mansfieldisd.org
YMCA OF ARLINGTON amaymca.org ● NORTH YMCA FAMILY CENTER 1005 Skyline Drive, Arlington, 817/548-9622 ● CENTRAL YMCA FAMILY CENTER 2200 S. Davis Drive, Arlington, 817/274-9622 ● COOPER STREET YMCA 7120 S. Cooper St., Arlington, 817/419-9629
Green Scene ● ELMER W. OLIVER NATURE PARK Explore 80 acres of nature and sign your little one up for educational classes, such as hiking with a naturalist and painting in the park. Open daily 5am–9pm from March–October. 1650 Matlock Road, Mansfield; olivernaturepark.com ● FRIENDSHIP PARK Home to a playground, tennis courts, a drinking fountain, a basketball court and picnic tables. 525 Polo Road, Grand Prairie; grandfungp.com ● GRAND PRAIRIE FARMERS MARKET Open Saturdays March–December 120 W. Main St., Grand Prairie; gptx.org/businesses/farmers-market ● GREEN’S PRODUCE AND PLANTS This indoor-outdoor market sources foods from all over the country. Open year-round, Sunday 8am–6pm, Monday–Saturday 8am–7pm. 3001 W. Arkansas Lane, Arlington, 817/274-2435; greensproduce.com ● JOE POOL LAKE Nature-goers have plenty to explore in the surrounding parks, camping sites and marinas. 6399 FM 1382, Dallas, 972/299-2227; joe-pool-lake.org ● MANSFIELD FARMERS MARKET Open April–October every Saturday from 8am–noon. 703 E. Broad St., Mansfield; mansfieldtxfarmersmarket.com ● PAPPY ELKINS PARK Cast your fishing line into Elkins Lake, have fun on the playground’s four-person seesaw and play a game of catch at the R.W. Grimes baseball field—whatever you do, be sure to stay and watch the sunset over the lake. Come back fortworthchild / july 2018
SPECIALIZED EDUCATION TECHNIQUES FOR EACH AND EVERY STUDENT
IN Come JO Y L our JU t m Ca ps a Summer demy! a Flint Ac Camps are open to Flint families AND to those OUTSIDE of Flint Academy. ENROLL TODAY! Our Flint Summer Camps are: • ZOOLOGY Monday (July 9)–Thursday (July 12) • ART CAMP Monday (July 16)–Thursday (July 19) • COOKING CAMP Monday (July 23)–Thursday (July 26) • MUSIC CAMP Monday (July 30)–Thursday (August 2) All Camps 9:30am–3:30pm Camps are for PK4–7th grade. Cost includes field trips related to weekly themes. CALL TO ENROLL 2111 ROOSEVELT DR. ARLINGTON, TX 76013
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
in the spring for family photos in the bluebonnets. 3299 Elkins Drive, Arlington, 817/274-7368; cityofdwg.net ● RIVER LEGACY PARK Escape to this massive 1,031-acre park for nature exploring with the kids. Bike through more than 10 miles of cross-country bike trails with stops at river overlooks, launch a canoe from the Collins Street access and come for more nature programs at the River Legacy Living Science Center. 701 NW Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington; naturallyfun.org/river-legacy-parks ● SOUTHWEST NATURE PRESERVE Learn about the Cross Timbers ecosystem on the boardwalk and nature trails at this 58-acre gem—if you’re feeling adventurous, make the trek to the peak of Kennedale Mountain for panoramic views. 5201 Bowman Springs Road, Arlington, 817/459-5474; swnp.org
Family Factor Gymnastics skills that improve independence and coordination. Or as they see it,
The Little Gym offers a wide variety of classes to help children ages 4 months through 12 years reach their greatest potential. Structured lessons, unique themes and a nurturing environment build confidence during each stage of childhood.
Come try us out! Arlington/Mansfield (817) 465-9296 Fort Worth (817) 346-9655 N. Fort Worth 817-996-3691 Keller (817) 562-4466
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● ARLINGTON SPLASH PADS, AQUATIC CENTERS AND POOLS Add the Arlington splash pads and pools to your regular rotation, especially Don Misenhimer Splash Pad, which features play sculptures in the shape of a dolphin, turtle and whale. At the Randol Mill Family Aquatic Center, discover what it feels like to swim in a vortex pool—one of the many swim features and amenities at this outdoor water park. Return for outdoor time at the playgrounds and short bike-and-hike trails even after summer ends. naturallyfun.org/aquatics ● CLAYTON W. CHANDLER PARK SPLASH PAD Mansfield’s first splash pad and first skateboarding plaza opened in August 2017. 1530 N. Walnut Creek Drive, Mansfield, 817/473-1943; mansfieldparks.com ● FREE PLAY ARCADE School your kiddos in some old-fashioned games. This venue has old-school arcade games like Pac-Man® and Tron®, plus pinball machines. Entry fee is $10.
400 E. South St., Arlington, 682/302-1178; freeplayarlington.com ● GRAND PRAIRIE AQUATICS Kiddos can cool off at three various pools and one splash palyground, Splash Factory Outdoor Water Playground, where they run through the ground sprays, magic touch water guns, water wall and more. Admission is $2 per person. grandfungp.com/aquatics ● MANSFIELD 30 IN 30 Take the kids on a scavenger hunt to find all 30 paintings—from murals to tiny sidewalk drawings—around Main Street; pick up a free postcard with snippets of each artwork at the Mansfield Historical Museum and Heritage Center (call for open hours). 102 N. Main St., Mansfield, 817/473-4250; mansfieldhistory.org ● URBAN AIR TRAMPOLINE PARK Kids have a blast rock climbing, bouncing indoors, participating in virtual-reality games and maneuvering through obstacle courses. The venue can also host birthday parties. 989 N. Walnut Creek Drive, Mansfield; 682/232-1709; urbanairtrampolinepark.com
Mom Groups ● ARLINGTON MOTHERS OF MULTIPLES (AMOM) Meets every first Tuesday of the month at Pleasant Ridge Church of Christ at 7pm. 6102 W. Pleasant Ridge Road, Arlington; amoms.info ● MOMS CLUB OF GRAND PRAIRIE AND MANSFIELD Monthly meetings, field trips, and other events and support for moms. Participate for free for 30 days before you join. Dues for the first year are $20. meetup.com/gpmomsclub ● MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS (MOPS) OF WALNUT RIDGE Meets the second and fourth Monday of the month at the Walnut Ridge Church Main Campus. Dues are $31.95 per year. 1201 S. Highway 360, Mansfield; mops.org/groups/mopsofwalnutridge
Tailored to your family for the perfect fit.
Treating the full spectrum of allergic, asthma and immunologic disorders.
Open days, evenings and weekends. • Hourly drop-in childcare • Preschool education programs • School age activities
Visit our website to request an appointment online.
Dr. James R. Haden (817) 336-8855 allergyfortworth.com 1000 College Avenue Fort Worth, Texas 76104
JOIN OUR TRIBE. GET
At The Allergy & Asthma Clinic of Fort Worth, we treat adults and children equally so that the entire family can have their symptoms treated in one location.
• Back-up care
www.kidspark.com A family favorite for over 20 years. In Arlington For ages 2 – 12
At Arlington Highlands • 309 Curtis Mathes Way • 682.323.4766 817.236.1253 License #892451
SUMMER BLAST 2018
works Friday Night Fire ckages ✦ Great Hotel Pa and Deals*
REWARDED. Get connected with DFWChild newsletters to stay updated on local events, exclusive offers, ticket giveaways and more!
Family Attractio®ns including LEGO ® venture Ninjago City Ad at h ac and Pirate Be ® Discovery ND LA LEGO e Center, Sea Turtl at er nt Ce Rescue ine SEA LIFE Grapev e in ev ap Gr , m riu Aqua d Vintage Railroa and Nash Farm dar For the full calen ts and of events, ticke n, visit more informatio
er USA.com/Summ GrapevineTexas
3185 or call 817-410-
SIGN UP: DFWCHILD.COM
*Subject to availability and rates subject to change. Restrictions apply. Special packages and rates vary by hotel property. See website for complete details.
fortworthchild / july 2018 28331_GCVB_Child_Mags_SB_July_2018_ad_v4.indd 1
6/4/18 12:35 PM
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
NORTHWEST TARRANT: AZLE, EAGLE MOUNTAIN LAKE, LAKE WORTH
Welcome to the Neighborhood For a room with a view—while still holding on to your job downtown—this is your neck of the woods. (Literally!) The woodsy Northwest Tarrant area offers a respite away from city life while still boasting metropolitan amenities, like Azle’s city-funded performing arts scene and access to thriving independent school districts in Azle, Eagle Mountain-Saginaw and Lake Worth. Homes on the banks of Lake Worth are a hot (and costly) commodity, but families can still enjoy a daily dose of nature in one of many planned communities.
Education ● AZLE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 300 Roe St., Azle, 817/444-3235; www.azleisd.net Elementary schools: 7 Junior high schools: 2 High school: 1 ● EAGLE MOUNTAIN-SAGINAW INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1200 Old Decatur Road, Fort Worth, 817/232-0880; emsisd.com Elementary schools: 15 Middle schools: 5 High schools: 4 ● LAKE WORTH INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 6805 Telephone Road, Lake Worth, 817/306-4200; lwisd.org Elementary schools: 3 Intermediate school: 1 Middle school: 1 High school: 1 ● BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS Azle (Azle ISD) Cross Timbers Elementary School, 2016 Fort Worth (private) Fort Worth Country Day Upper School, 1997-98 36
july 2018 / fortworthchild
U.S. REPRESENTATIVES FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger Areas served: Eagle Mountain Lake, Lake Worth, Azle 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/3380909; kaygranger.house.gov ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 33: Rep. Marc Veasey Area served: Eagle Mountain Lake 6707 Brentwood Stair Road, Suite 200, Fort Worth, 817/920-9086; veasey.house.gov TEXAS STATE SENATORS senate.texas.gov/members.php ● SENATE DISTRICT 10: Sen. Konni Burton Area served: Eagle Mountain Lake 933 W. Weatherford St., Suite 203, Fort Worth, 817/882-8157 ● SENATE DISTRICT 12: Sen. Jane Nelson Areas served: Azle, Eagle Mountain Lake, Lake Worth 1225 S. Main St., Suite 100, Grapevine, 817/424-3446 ● SENATE DISTRICT 30: Sen. Craig Estes Area served: Azle 2525 Kell Blvd., Suite 302, Wichita Falls, 940/689-0191; senate.texas.gov/members.php TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVES house.state.tx.us/members ● HOUSE DISTRICT 61: Rep. Phil King Area served: Azle 2110 Fort Worth Highway, Weatherford, 817/596-4796
Libraries ● AZLE MEMORIAL LIBRARY Open Monday–Saturday; open till 8pm Tuesday and Thursday 333 W. Main St., Azle, 817/444-7216; azlelibrary.org ● MARY LOU REDDICK PUBLIC LIBRARY Open Tuesday–Saturday; open till 7pm Wednesday and Thursday 7005 Charbonneau Road, Lake Worth, 817/2379681; lakeworthtx.org
Green Scene ● EAGLE MOUNTAIN LAKE This fishing destination is also home to Eagle Mountain Lake Park, with hiking trails that include restrooms and picnic tables along the routes, and Twin Points Park, with a sand beach and swimming area open during the summer. 10201 N. Shore Drive, Fort Worth, 817/237-8585; trwd.com/recreation/locations/eagle-mountain/ eagle-mountain-lake ● FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER & REFUGE Register online for educational programming scheduled year-round inside the Hardwicke Interpretive Center and throughout the refuge, such as the bison hayrides. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth, 817/392-7410; fwnaturecenter.org
● HOUSE DISTRICT 90: Rep. Ramon Romero Jr. Area served: Eagle Mountain Lake 3663 Airport Freeway, Suite 102, Fort Worth, 817/924-6788
● RAYL FAMILY PARK Lake Worth Park has plenty of amenities for families—including a skate park—but this smaller park (complete with a windmill) is a quieter escape with trees for shade, ducks to visit and a playground to climb on.
● HOUSE DISTRICT 99: Rep. Charlie Geren Areas served: Azle, Eagle Mountain Lake, Lake Worth 1011 Roberts Cut Off Road, River Oaks, 817/738-8333
Health & Fitness 101 ● NORTHWEST YMCA 5315 Boat Club Road, Fort Worth, 817/237-7237; ymcafw.org
3402 Pueblo Trail, Lake Worth; lakeworth tx.org
● BULL FROG GRILL You can tell this hole-in-the-wall joint in Lake Worth used to be a Dairy Queen; now it serves up authentic Texas barbecue and can’t-miss peach cobbler, plus kids’ plates for the littles. 6700 Azle Ave., Fort Worth, 817/237-9111
● CAFE 10:31 This prime lunch spot makes fresh bread daily in addition to specials like meatloaf sandwiches on Fridays and quesadillas on Mondays. Kiddos get a package of animal crackers with their meals. 404 W. Main St., Suite 104, Azle, 817/7522233; cafe1031.com
community for over
50 years TCU Music Preparatory Division
Openings for ages 4–6yrs
Early Childhood Music
TCU offers a unique program where children and their parents can interact in a joyful musical environment.
● AZLE ARTS ASSOCIATION The Popcorn Players—celebrating their 20th year as a troupe—put on multiple theater shows a year and host a summer program for kids. 1012 SE Parkway, Azle, 817/238-7529; azlearts.org
Call for a TOUR!
Music Together ® Babies Class / 0–8 months Music Together ® Mixed Ages / 0–4 years Music Together® Generations 0–4 years Music Together ® Rhythm Kids™ / 4–8 years 817-257-6134 Private Lessons Piano, Voice and Instrumental / 5 years–adult 817-257-7604
● AZLE HISTORICAL MUSEUM Learn about the history of Azle through photos, documents and artifacts. Open Saturdays from March through the first week of December. 124 W. Main St., Azle, 817/270-3037; cityofazle.org
817-275-0851 www.cdsa.org 1105 W. Randol Mill Rd Arlington, TX 76012
Ed Landreth Hall
• Montessori School • Serving students 4 mo.–Kindergarten • Low class ratios • Part-time & Extended Day schedules available • PE, Music, Spanish & French • Summer program
Accredited by SACS CASI AMS Associate School
RIVER LEGACY LIVING SCIENCE CENTER
● BURGER’S LAKE Wade into this spring-fed lake from sandy beaches, or jump in from the signature trapeze swing, six diving boards and even more slides. 1200 Meandering Road, Fort Worth, 817/737-3414; burgerslake.com ● MUSIC IN THE PARK Every Friday at 8pm in June and July, come out to Azle’s Central Park amphitheater for a free community concert and a couple of food trucks. 263 W. Main St., Azle; cityofazle.org
Discover The Best Classroom on Earth: Nature!
Call 817.860.6752, ext. 102 or register online at www.riverlegacy.org! ENROLL NOW for Fall Home School Science Classes & After-School Clubs! Ads with © are © of Lauren Publications, Inc. 2018.
● MOTHERS OF PRESCHOOLERS OF ASH CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH (MOPS) Meets the first and third Friday of the month during the academic school year. Bimonthly meetings include activities such as games and crafts along with speakers. Dues are $131.95 per year. 300 S. Stewart St., Azle, 817/444-3219; facebook.com/azlemops
Children ages 3 to 6 explore the natural world through nature walks, stories, art and song at River Legacy's Nature School.
Come visit the NEW River Legacy Discovery Room! Open Mondays-Saturdays • 9 am to 5 pm 703 NW Green Oaks Blvd. Arlington 76006
(@ the intersection of Cooper & NW Green Oaks)
www.riverlegacy.org • 817.860.6752, ext. 102 fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
TEXAS STATE REPRESENTATIVE ● HOUSE DISTRICT 61: Rep. Phil King 2110 Fort Worth Highway., Weatherford, 817/596-4796; house.state.tx.us/members
pizza, calzones, hot subs and wings, plus a thoroughly Italian kids’ menu. 311 S. FM 1187, Suite 200, 817/441-2959; aledojoespizza.com
Welcome to the Neighborhood
Education ● ALEDO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1008 Bailey Ranch Road, Aledo, 817/441-8327; aledoisd.org Elementary schools: 5 Intermediate school: 1 Middle school: 1 Ninth grade schools: 1 High schools: 1
Local Representation U.S. REPRESENTATIVE FOR TEXAS ● CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 12: Rep. Kay Granger 1701 River Run, Suite 407, Fort Worth, 817/338-0909; kaygranger.house.gov TEXAS STATE SENATOR ● SENATE DISTRICT 30: Sen. Craig Estes 2525 Kell Blvd., Suite 302, Wichita Falls, 940/689-0191; s enate.texas.gov/members.phd 38
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● EAST PARKER COUNTY LIBRARY Open Tuesday–Friday 10am–6pm, Saturday 10am–1pm 201 FM 1187 N., Aledo, 817/441-6545; epclibrary.com
Health & Fitness 101 ● ALEDO ATHLETIC CLUB Work in a fitness class at Aledo Athletic Club, with a Body Blast class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9–10am (incorporating weights, stretching, cardio and running) and Barre classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8–9am. The club also hosts mobility and stretching classes for littles 8 and up. Membership is $32.99 per month or $365 for the year. 601 FM 1187A, Aledo, 817/441-2444
Green Scene ● ALEDO COMMUNITY CENTER PARK The community center park features a concretepaved walking trail, large playground, basketball court and covered pavilion. 104 Robinson Court, Aledo, 817/441-9009; aledo-texas.com ● ALEDO FARMERS MARKET Open every Monday in March–November from 3–6pm at the Aledo Community Center parking lot. 04 Robinson Court, Aledo, 817/441-7016; aledo-texas.com ● BEARCAT PARK A large, wooden castle-shaped playground and covered picnic pavilion at one of the town’s most kid-friendly parks. FM 5, Aledo, 817/441-7016; aledo-texas.com
Chow Down ● JOE’S PIZZA & PASTA has yummy options for the whole family, including the classic cheese
● SPLASH KINGDOM FAMILY WATERPARK This water park with a Wild West theme will help your littles cool off during the summer months. Attractions include wave pools, slides, a lazy river and a kids’ play area modeled after an abandoned mine shaft. 1001 Cinema Drive, Hudson Oaks, 817/598-0777; splashkingdomwaterpark.com/weatherford
● XSCAPE Kiddos can play in the dark at this nearby venue in Weatherford. This jam-packed venue has glowin-the-dark features so your kids won’t miss a step. Activities include a trampoline park, arcade and mini golf. Birthday party packages are available. 1819 S. Main St., Weatherford, 817/599-6520; holeinfunentertainment.com
Mom Groups ● FORT WORTH MOTHERS OF MULTIPLES Meetings take place every third Thursday of the month (except December) at the Western Hills Church of Christ. Email email@example.com for membership inquiries. 8800 Chapin Road, Fort Worth; fwmom.org ● MOMS CLUB OF ALEDO / WILLOW PARK Meetings are once a month and membership dues are $25 per year. Email awpmomsclub@ gmail.com for membership inquiries. awpmomsclub.tripod.com
PHOTO COURTESY OF SPLASH KINGDOM FAMILY WATERPARK
This small town west of Fort Worth is one of the oldest cities in Parker County with a growing population around 3,000. And it’s easy to see why—boasting a strong school district (with a strongly supported football team) and housing prices that give families a bigger bang for their buck, this town may be low on amenities but it’s high on charm, community spirit and extracurricular activities for the kids. Mellow mamas can stroll through the farmers market on Monday evenings while kiddos rule the nearby playground in the town’s Community Center Park. And with downtown Fort Worth and Weatherford both about 20 minutes away, it’s easy for parents to commute and to find more options for entertaining their families, like a Wild West– themed water park in Weatherford.
M.E.N.D. Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death
We are a Christian, non-profit organization that reaches out to families who have suffered the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or early infant death. We publish free bi-monthly newsletters, hold two commemorative ceremonies each year and host support groups in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
Located in the Alliance area of North Fort Worth
breakfast brunch lunch
KATHRYN K. MANDAL, MD, FAAP KATHRYN K. MANDAL MD, FAAP BOARD CERTIFIED PEDIATRICIAN
BOARD CERTIFIED PEDIATRICIAN
Located in the Alliance Area of North Fort Worth OUR SERVICES OUR SERVICES
WELL BABY & WELL CHILD CARE SAME DAY SICK APPOINTMENTS WELL BABY & WELL CHILD CARE
Ads with © are © of Lauren Publications, Inc. 2018.
Now Open fort worth Phone: 817.984.8710 1612 s university blvd fort worth, texas, 76107
SAME DAY SICK APPOINTMENTS SPORTS PHYSICAL EXAMS SPORTS PHYSICAL EXAMS
IMMUNIZATIONS PEDIATRIC ADHD MANAGEMENT ALLERGY AND ASTHMA MANAGEMENT IMMUNIZATIONS ALLERGY AND ASTHMA MANAGEMENT
9509 9509 N. N. BEACH BEACHST. ST #102 #102, FORT WORTH, TX FORT WORTH, TX76244 76244 FOLLOW US: FOLLOW US:
Math, science, history and creativity are just a few things children learn from art. Best of all, art makes learning fun!
• Artsy Birthday Parties • Summer Art Camps & Classes
a Birthday Party Book your party today & SAVE! *Valid on Kidcreate Studio–Mansfield Birthday Parties only. This offer cannot be combined with any other coupons, discounts or offers. Must present coupon at time of purchase to receive discount. Coupon expires 12/31/18.
kidcreatestudio.com 682-400-8383 920 U.S. Hw y. 287, Mansf ie ld, TX 76063 fortworthchild / july 2018
o t y a w a t Ge
MAKE THE KEMAH BOARDWALK YOUR FAVORITE DESTINATION
Waterfront Restaurants • Boutique Hotel • Amusement Rides Stingray Reef & Exhibits • Boardwalk FantaSea Yacht Dinner Cruises Live Entertainment • Speedboat Thrill Ride • Banquet Rooms Iron Eagle Zipline • Unique Retail Stores • Midway Games Arcade • Special Events • Marina
Stay the weekend! 281.334.9880
2018 C A L E N D A R O F EV E N T S O N LIN E
$5 OFF ALL DAY ALL RIDES PASS Clip out and present this coupon to receive $5.00 off an All Day All Rides Pass. Coupon valid for up to five (5) people/five (5) passes. Includes unlimited access to the rides at the Kemah Boardwalk. Does NOT include the Boardwalk Beast, Stingray Reef or Iron Eagle. Coupon must be exchanged at the amusements ticket booth for actual dated wristband. Wristband is valid for day of redemption only. Not valid with any other promotions or offers. No cash value. Tax not included. Must present coupon at ticket booth to be valid. Expires 8/31/18 DC
! s u o r u t n e v d A
215 KIPP AVENUE
KEMAH, TX 77565 281-535-8100 KEMAHBOARDWALK.COM Just minutes from Houston on Galveston Bay.
• 16 Amusement Rides • Midway Games • Shopping • Live Music • Kiddie Big Top Area • Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. • Lt. Dan’s hideaway • Pier Party Zone • Group Events & Packages • Chick-Fil-a express • 5D THEATER RIDE • Much More!
$5 OFF ALL DAY ALL RIDES PASS Clip out and present this coupon to receive $5.00 off an All Day All Rides Pass. Coupon valid for up to five (5) people/ five (5) passes. Includes unlimited access to the rides at the Pleasure Pier. Coupon must be exchanged at the amusements ticket booth for actual dated wristband. Wristband is valid for day of redemption only. Not valid with any other promotions or offers. No cash value. Tax not included. Must present coupon at ticket booth to be valid. Expires 8/31/18 DC TM
2501 Seawall Blvd • Galveston Island, TX 77550 409.766.4950 • 855.789.7437 • pleasurepier.com
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
Texas longhorns, the Cattlepen Maze, weekend rodeos and more family-friendly entertainment such as goat yoga.
DESTINATIONS WORTH DRIVING TO, NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE
Attractions ● BUREAU OF ENGRAVING & PRINTING WESTERN CURRENCY FACILITY moneyfactory.gov Fort Worth | 817/231-4000 For three weeks each year (in March, June and July), the employees of this government facility (only two of its kind in the U.S.) demonstrate the ins and outs of the literal money-making process and invite kids to design their own currency. ● COYOTE DRIVE-IN coyotedrive-in.com/fortworth Fort Worth | 817/717-7767 Pop open your truck’s tailgate or your lawn chairs to settle in for a double feature at this old-fashioned outdoor movie theater with a concession pavilion, playground and themed family activities to accompany some releases. ● FORT WORTH BOTANIC GARDEN fwbg.org Fort Worth | 817/392-5510 Stroll through the Japanese Garden or Native Texas Boardwalk (educational stations along the way) at your leisure, and come back for children’s programming held in the Backyard Vegetable Garden and other areas in partnership with the Botanical Research Institute of Texas. ● FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER & REFUGE fwnaturecenter.org Fort Worth | 817/392-7410 Explore more than 20 miles of trails, sign up for a guided hike or kayak trip, and attend family programs about local wildlife at one of the country’s largest city-owned nature centers. Don’t forget to visit the bison herd. ● FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS fortworthstockyards.com Fort Worth | 817/624-4741 Here’s how Cowtown stays true to its reputation: with the world’s only twice-daily cattle drive of
● GRAPEVINE VINTAGE RAILROAD gvrr.com Grapevine | 817/410-3123 Take a one-hour excursion or a round trip to the Fort Worth Stockyards on board a vintage locomotive. Each spring Thomas the Tank Engine stops in Grapevine for themed rides and extra family fun, and start planning in fall for holiday rides on the North Pole Express. ● LEGOLAND DISCOVERY CENTER dallasfw.legolanddiscoverycenter.com Grapevine | 469/444-3050 Experience those tiny blocks on a grand scale inside Legoland, open daily with 12 family attractions including a 4D theater and the summertime Pirate Beach splash pad, plus frequent special events starring master model builders. ● PANTHER ISLAND PAVILION pantherislandpavilion.com Fort Worth | 817/698-0700 Only here can you listen to live tunes from a riverfront stage while floating the river in an inner tube. Rent kayaks and water sports equipment during special events or wade in from the sandy beach that’s open daily. ● THE PLANETARIUM AT UT ARLINGTON uta.edu/planetarium Arlington | 817/272-1183 Venture onto the UTA campus for screenings of Big Bird’s One World, One Sky, the trippy Pink Floyd show and a variety of rotating planetarium films inside the dome theater. ● SIX FLAGS OVER TEXAS sixflags.com/overtexas Arlington | 817/640-8900 Claim your place in line on board the new, extraevil thrill rides in the Gotham City section of the park. If your brood’s not tall enough yet, head to Bugs Bunny Boomtown for thrills on a small scale. ● SUNDANCE SQUARE PLAZA sundancesquare.com Fort Worth | 817/255-5700 Come for the summer movies series, live music or special events throughout the year and on regular days to let the kids splash in the spray fountain while you relax under the shade canopies.
● THE TRAILHEAD AT CLEARFORK trailhead1848.com Fort Worth | 817/731-7396 Come for a family bike ride along the riverfront trails or fitness classes, and hang around the trailhead for the Saturday morning farmers market, brunch at the Press Cafe and varying kids activities such as Kindermusik classes and the outdoor reading cart on select weekdays.
Aquariums ● SEA LIFE GRAPEVINE AQUARIUM visitsealife.com/grapevine Grapevine | 469/444-3050 In May 2018, this world-class aquarium inside Grapevine Mills debuted its all-new center for sea turtle rescue and rehabilitation, accessible as a permanent exhibit that allows kids to role-play as rescuers. ● SEAQUEST INTERACTIVE AQUARIUM fortworth.visitseaquest.com Fort Worth | 682/235-5752 Snorkel with stingrays inside this new aquarium in Ridgmar Mall. Overnights and behind-the-scenes tours available for even more interaction with exotic creatures from the rainforest, desert and sea.
Museums ● AMON CARTER MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART cartermuseum.org Fort Worth | 817/738-1933 Admission is always free for children’s programming, special events outside on the lawn, and access to the permanent collection and special exhibits. ● FORT WORTH MUSEUM OF SCIENCE & HISTORY fwmsh.org Fort Worth | 817/255-9300 General admission covers access to nearly every attraction including special exhibits, the children’s museum and the new DinoGlow, where kids can create their own dinosaur on a 3D canvas using touch-screen controls. ● KIMBELL ART MUSEUM kimbellart.org Fort Worth | 817/332-8451 Marvel at masterpieces (including the museum’s fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
architecture) on your next visit to see special exhibits or during the kids’ workshops inside the Piano Pavilion Education Studios. ● MILITARY MUSEUM OF FORT WORTH militarymuseumfortworth.org Fort Worth | 817/945-2680 See relics from World Wars I and II and walk through a WWI trench at this military museum, which reopened in a new and larger space west of the Stockyards’ indoor rodeo arena on Memorial Day 2018.
Growing The Finest Young Minds Since 1968 Serving ages 18 months–8th grade www.msftw.org 3420 Clayton Rd. E. Fort Worth, TX 76116 817-732-0252
SMALL CLASS SIZE —
● THE MODERN ART MUSEUM OF FORT WORTH themodern.org Fort Worth | 817/738-9215 Expand your mind with all sorts of art forms on display at this uber-modern art venue. Free Sunday admission and half-price Wednesdays resume in September 2018 after the closing of Takashi Murakami – The Octopus Eats Its Own Leg. ● NATIONAL COWGIRL MUSEUM & HALL OF FAME cowgirl.net Fort Worth | 817/336-4475 The new Kit Moncrief Galleries are set to open in spring 2019 after a $5.5 million renovation, with the museum’s popular bronc ride anchoring one end of the gallery.
Innovation in Academic, Spiritual, and Emotional Growth Named the Best Kept Secret in Tarrant County
SCHEDULE A TOUR TODAY
Serving grades PK2–8
6605 Pleasant Run Rd | Colleyville 76034 817-251-1881 | www.colschool.org
july 2018 / fortworthchild
● COWTOWN COLISEUM stockyardsrodeo.com Fort Worth | 817/625-1025 Inside the world’s first indoor rodeo arena, brave kids take on mutton bustin’, and diehard cowboys and cowgirls compete every weekend in the Stockyards Championship Rodeo and put on historic reenactments of Pawnee Bill’s Wild West Show. ● FORT WORTH STOCK SHOW & RODEO fwssr.com Fort Worth | 817/877-2400 The three-week rodeo festival returns every January and February to the Will Rogers Memorial Center as Cowtown’s biggest attraction, including the All-Western Parade
through downtown Fort Worth, Kids Gone Wild Day and endless family fun.
Sports ● AT&T STADIUM stadium.dallascowboys.com Arlington | 817/892-5000 Cheer on the Dallas Cowboys from the stands inside this world-class NFL stadium with a glass retractable roof and mega screen over the field. Look forward soon to a new entertainment venue opening later in 2018 between AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Park called Texas Live! ● GLOBE LIFE PARK rangers.com/ballpark Arlington | 817/273-5222 A family trip to the Texas Rangers’ ballpark is incomplete without a stop at the kids zone playground. Stay tuned for the $1.1 billion Globe Life Field (sporting a retractable roof!) coming in 2021. ● LONE STAR PARK lonestarpark.com Grand Prairie | 972/263-7223 Whether you come to play the ponies or purely to admire their speed and agility, kids are welcome at the racetrack, offering bounce houses and a petting zoo during the thoroughbred racing season April–July. Special events include exotic animal races with camels, ostriches and zebras, and a July Fourth fireworks show. ● TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY texasmotorspeedway.com Fort Worth | 817/215-8500 Feel the stands shake from the vibrations of pro NASCAR drivers speeding around the 1.5-mile oval. Download the mobile app for schedules, maps and news about driver appearances and autograph sessions prior to the race.
Children’s Theaters ● ARTISAN CENTER THEATER artisanct.com Hurst | 817/284-1200 There’s never a dull moment at the Artisan
E V A W Y R E V E N I epic YEAR-ROUND RAIN OR SHINE
Pre-purchase tickets for guaranteed admission! Tiny Tot Time
Plan a Visit Now!
· Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30-9:30 a.m.
· 11 Thrilling Slides
· Exclusive early access to Rascal’s Round-Up
· Colossal Retractable Roof
· $10 for the first child ($5 for each additional child)
· Rascal’s Round-Up with 300-gallon Tipping Bucket
· FREE admission for parents/guardians accompanying tots
· Food & Beverage Options
2970 Epic Place, Grand Prairie, TX 75052 | EPICWATERSGP.COM | 972.337.3131 fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
with near-constant productions on the Main Stage, Second Stage and Children’s Theater, often on the same day. Join by auditioning for a role or registering for a summer camp. ● BASS PERFORMANCE HALL basshall.com Fort Worth | 817/212-4280 Two trumpeting angels on the building, exterior usher in concertgoers to this most beautiful downtown venue where the Fort Worth Opera, Fort Worth Symphony and Texas Ballet Theater perform primarily. ● CASA MAÑANA casamanana.org Fort Worth | 817/332-2272 A fresh season of main stage Broadway shows begins in August, and children’s shows begin in October. ● FORT WORTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA fwsymphony.org Fort Worth | 817/665-6000 The professional musicians of the FWSO perform all manner of shows, from summer concerts in the botanic garden and accompaniment for the Texas Ballet Theater to pops concerts (including a collaboration with Hanson in 2019) at Bass Hall. The FWSO also puts on a three-concert family series, beginning in September. ● KIDS WHO CARE MUSICAL THEATRE kidswhocare.org Fort Worth | 817/737-5437 The young actors and adults who run Kids Who Care really do. You’ll find inspiring messages in each of their summer original musicals (recent titles: Choices and Earth and Soul) and more uplifting productions performed throughout the year at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center. ● THEATRE ARLINGTON theatrearlington.org Arlington | 817/275-7661 The season typically offers an all-youth play and another all-youth musical and more shows for all age ranges, from family-friendly to adult. Want to join the casts? Acting and musical classes at the theater school are open to adults and children alike. 44
july 2018 / fortworthchild
Water Parks ● EPIC WATERS INDOOR WATERPARK epicwatersgp.com Grand Prairie | 972/337-3131 Swim year-round at the world’s largest indoor water park under a single curved retractable roof. The aptly named Epic Waters, which debuted in December 2017, features 11 slides, a two-lane FlowRider surfing simulator, a lazy river and the Rascal’s Round-Up children’s splash area. ● HAWAIIAN FALLS hfalls.com Mansfield | 817/853-0050 Roanoke | 817/853-0099 Adrenaline junkies welcome on Hawaiian Falls’ epic water slides, like the four-story-high Torpedo and the Hawaiian Halfpipe. For all-ages thrills closer to the ground, splash around the geysers, pulleys and water buckets at Keiki Kove. ● NRH2O FAMILY WATER PARK nrh2o.com North Richland Hills | 817/427-6500 In additional to mega thrill rides (and more serene scenes like the pool’s sand beach), NRH2O hosts special events all summer, from fireworks and zoo animal visits to movies over the wave pool. ● SIX FLAGS HURRICANE HARBOR sixflags.com/hurricaneharbortexas Arlington | 817/640-8900 As of May 2018, the largest water park in North Texas stretches even bigger with the new Splashwater Beach, a tropical oasis with nearly 40 interactive water features for young children and an additional lounge space for families.
Zoos ● FORT WORTH ZOO fortworthzoo.org Fort Worth | 817/759-7555 Visit the Safari Splash park (open all summer) and the Fort Worth Zoo’s new 10-acre African Savanna exhibit, featuring over- and underwater viewing of the hippos’ lazy river, an elevated deck for giraffe feeding, southern black rhinos and exotic bird aviaries.
fortworthchild / july 2018
e h t r unde N U S
RESIDENT EVENT CENTER
Stocked Ponds HIKE & BIKE TRAILS
Playgrounds A M P H I T H E AT E R
Two Pools ALEDO ISD
FISHING! DR HORTON
W! READY NO
MorningstarTX.com | 817.952.6220
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
FAST FACTS ABOUT FORT WORTH AREA PRIVATE SCHOOLS
Aledo ● ALEDO CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 400 Queen St.; aledochristianschool.com Year established: 1981 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 30
KEY: § information from the 2016-17 school year; School for children with special needs and/or learning differences
● CHILDREN’S UNIVERSITY 4621 Park Springs Blvd.; childrensuniversity.com Year established: 1995 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 300 ● FLINT ACADEMY 2111 Roosevelt Drive; flintacademy.com Year established: 2006 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 95 ● GRACE PREPARATORY ACADEMY § 3300 Interstate 20 W.; graceprep.org Year established: 1993 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 306 ● GREEN OAKS SCHOOL 500 Houston St.; greenoaksschool.org Year established: 2000 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 37 ● MERRYHILL SCHOOL § 711 W. Arbrook Blvd.; arlington.merryhillschool.com Year established: 1988 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 325
● MONTESSORI ACADEMY OF ARLINGTON, THE 3428 W. Arkansas Lane; tmaonline.org Year established: 1981 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 179 ● NORTHSTAR SCHOOL 4620 Park Springs Blvd.; northstarschool.net Year established: 2005 Religious affiliation: None Grades: 7–12 Total enrollment: 60 ● OAKRIDGE SCHOOL, THE 5900 W. Pioneer Parkway; theoakridgeschool.org Year established: 1979 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 792 ● PANTEGO CHRISTIAN ACADEMY, ARLINGTON CAMPUS § 2201 W. Park Row Drive; pantego.com Year established: 1963 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 685 ● PARK ROW CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 915 W. Park Row Drive; parkrowchristian.net Year established: 1968 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–7 Total enrollment: 180 ● ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC SCHOOL 2015 SW Green Oaks Blvd.; stjosephtx.org Year established: 1995 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 25
Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 360 ● TATE SPRINGS CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 4001 Little Road tatespringschristianschool.com Year established: 1967 Religious affiliation: Baptist Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 150
Colleyville ● COVENANT CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 901 Cheek Sparger; covenantchristian.net Year established: 1979 Religious affiliation: Non-denominational Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 630 ● CROWN OF LIFE LUTHERAN SCHOOL 6605 Pleasant Run Road; colschool.org Year established: 1996 Religious affiliation: Lutheran Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 140 ● WAYPOINT MONTESSORI 1513 Hall Johnson Road, waypointmontessori.org Year established: 1971 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 160
Fort Worth ● ALL SAINTS’ EPISCOPAL SCHOOL 9700 Saints Circle; aseschool.org Year established: 1951 Religious affiliation: Episcopal Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 1,030
● ST. PAUL’S PREPARATORY ACADEMY 6900 U.S. Highway 287; stpaulsprep.com Year established: 1988 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 276
● ALLIANCE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 13105 Harmon Road; aca-littlesprouts.com Year established: 2004 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 330
● SAINT MARIA GORETTI CATHOLIC SCHOOL § 1200 S Davis Drive, smgschool.org Year established: 1954 Religious affiliation: Catholic
● ANDERSON PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR THE GIFTED, TALENTED AND CREATIVE 14900 White Settlement Road; andersonschool.net Year established: 1995 Religious affiliation: None fortworthchild / july 2018
THE NEIGHBORHOODS ISSUE
Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 27
Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 150
● BETHESDA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 4700 N. Beach St.; bcsfw.org Year established: 1980 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 390
● HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC SCHOOL ‡ 6146 Pershing Ave.; hfcsfw.org Year established: 1946 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 156
● CALVARY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 1401 Oakhurst Scenic Drive; calvaryacademy.com Year established: 1979 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 345
● JANE JUSTIN SCHOOL 1300 W. Lancaster Ave.; cscfw.org Year established: 1967 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–9 Total enrollment: 70
● CASSATA CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL § 1400 Hemphill St.; cassatahs.org Year established: 1975 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: 9–12 Total enrollment: 145
● KEY SCHOOL 3947 E. Loop 820 S.; keyschoolfortworth.org Year established: 1966 Religious affiliation: None Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 100
● COVENANT CLASSICAL SCHOOL 1701 Wind Star Way; covenantfw.org Year established: 1999 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 400 ● FORT WORTH ACADEMY 7301 Dutch Branch Road; fwacademy.org Year established: 1982 Religious affiliation: None Grades: K–8 Total enrollment: 210 ● FORT WORTH COUNTRY DAY 4200 Country Day Lane; fwcd.org Year established: 1963 Religious affiliation: None Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 1,070
● LAKE COUNTRY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 7050 Lake Country Drive; lccs.org Year established: 1980 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 420 ● MONTESSORI SCHOOL OF FORT WORTH 3420 Clayton Road E.; msftw.org Year established: 1968 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 215 ● MOSAIC ACADEMY 1400 College Ave.; mosaicacademy.org Year established: 2000 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 80
● HARVEST CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 7200 Denton Highway; hcasaints.org Year established: 2004 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 475
● OUR LADY OF VICTORY CATHOLIC SCHOOL 3320 Hemphill St.; olvfw.com Year established: 1910 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 99
● HILL SCHOOL 4817 Odessa Ave.; hillschool.org Year established: 1973 Religious affiliation: None
● ST. IGNATIUS COLLEGE PREPARATORY SCHOOL 8109 Shelton Drive; ignatiusofloyola.org Year established: 2005
july 2018 / fortworthchild
Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: 9–12 Total enrollment: 32 ● ST. PAUL LUTHERAN SCHOOL 1800 West Freeway; sharingnewlifespls.com Year established: 1969 Religious affiliation: Lutheran Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 214 ● ST. PETER’S CLASSICAL SCHOOL 7601 Bellaire Drive S.; stpetersclassical.org Year established: 2005 Religious affiliation: Orthodox Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 68 ● ST. RITA CATHOLIC SCHOOL 712 Weiler Blvd.; saintritaschool.net Year established: 1954 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 152 ● SAINT ANDREW CATHOLIC SCHOOL 3304 Dryden Road; standrewsch.org Year established: 1954 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 637 ● SHADY OAK ACADEMY 8200 Tumbleweed Trail; shadyoak.org Year established: 2012 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 30 ● SOUTHWEST CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 6801 Can Danciger Road (grades K-6) 6901 Altamesa Blvd. (grades 7-12); southwestchristian.org Year established: 1969 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 780 ● STARPOINT SCHOOL 2805 Stadium Drive; starpoint.tcu.edu Year established: 1966 Religious affiliation: Disciples of Christ Grades: 1–6 Total enrollment: 61 ● TEMPLE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 6824 Randol Mill Road; tcseagles.org
Year established: 1973 Religious affiliation: Baptist Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 500
Year established: 2000 Religious affiliation: Lutheran Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 105
● TRINITY BAPTIST TEMPLE ACADEMY 6045 W.J. Boaz Road; tbta.tbtchurch.org Year established: 1995 Religious affiliation: Baptist Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 150
● TRINITY PREPARATORY ACADEMY 129 Pecan St.; trinityprepkeller.org Year established: 2008 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 215
● TRINITY VALLEY SCHOOL 7500 Dutch Branch Road; tvs.org Year established: 1959 Religious affiliation: None Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 980
Grapevine ● GRAPEVINE FAITH CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 730 E. Worth St.; grapevinefaith.com Year established: 1999 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 776 ● HOLY TRINITY CATHOLIC SCHOOL 3750 William D. Tate Ave.; holytcs.org Year established: 1994 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 330 ● NOVUS ACADEMY, THE 204 N. Dooley St.; thenovusacademy.org Year established: 2014 Religious affiliation: None Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 75
Haslet ● LEGACY CLASSICAL CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 12501 Highway 287; legacyclassical.org Year established: 2010 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 92
Keller ● MESSIAH LUTHERAN CLASSICAL ACAD. 1308 Whitley Road; mlcatexas.org
● NORTH TEXAS LEADERSHIP ACADEMY 10200 Alta Vista Road; ntxleadershipacademy.org Year established: 2012 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–4 Total enrollment: 42 ● ST. ELIZABETH ANN SETON CATHOLIC SCHOOL § 2016 Willis Lane; seascs.net Year established: 2000 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 512
Kennedale ● FELLOWSHIP ACADEMY 1021 N. Bowman Springs Road; fellowship-academy.org Year established: 2000 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 392
Mansfield ● PANTEGO CHRISTIAN ACADEMY, MANSFIELD CAMPUS 2351 Country Club Drive; pantego.com Year established: 2007 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–5 Total enrollment: 147 ● WALNUT CREEK ACADEMY 1751 N. Walnut Creek Drive; walnutcreekacademy.com Year established: 1971 Religious affiliation: Christian Non-denominational Grades: Pre-K–5 Total enrollment: 300
North Richland Hills ● E.A. YOUNG ACADEMY 8521 Davis Blvd.; eayoungacademy.com Year established: 2011 Religious affiliation: None Grades: K–12 Total enrollment: 75 ● FORT WORTH CHRISTIAN SCHOOL 6200 Holiday Lane; fwc.org Year established: 1958 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 670 ● ST. JOHN THE APOSTLE CATHOLIC SCHOOL § 7421 Glenview Drive; stjs.org Year established: 1965 Religious affiliation: Catholic Grades: Pre-K–8 Total enrollment: 210
Southlake ● CLARIDEN SCHOOL, THE § 100 Clariden Ranch Road; claridenschool.org Year established: 1993 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 100 ● FUSION ACADEMY SOUTHLAKE 301 State St., Suite 200; fusionsouthlake.com Year established: 2007 Religious affiliation: None Grades: 6–12 Total enrollment: N/A ● SOUTHLAKE MONTESSORI 251 Countryside Court; southlakemontessori.org Year established: 2014 Religious affiliation: None Grades: Pre-K–6 Total enrollment: 54
Willow Park ● TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY 4954 E. Interstate 20 Service Road S.; tcaeagles.org Year established: 1993 Religious affiliation: Christian Grades: Pre-K–12 Total enrollment: 525 fortworthchild / july 2018
➢ Plan your family’s next adventure, select a health care provider or enroll your kids in an extracurricular class—our advertising partners have a few ideas on how to enrich your family’s life. Visit their ads in these pages or online at dfwchild.com/everything to find out more.
Amon Carter Museum of American Art cartermuseum.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/738-1933 See ad on page 16 Bureau of Engraving and Printing bep.gov Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .817/231-4000 See ad on page 44 Caldwell Zoo caldwellzoo.org Tyler . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 903/593-0121 See ad on page 45 Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark epicwatersgp.com Grand Prairie. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .972/337-3131 See ad on page 43 Fort Worth Museum of Science and History fwmuseum.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/255-9300 See ad on page 45 Fort Worth Stockyards fortworthstockyards.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/625-9715 See ad on page 31 Fort Worth Zoo fortworthzoo.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/759-7555 See ad on page 43 Gateway Performing Arts gatewaysummermusicals.com Southlake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/722-1700 See ad on page 24 Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center gaylordtexan.com Grapevine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/778-1000 See ad on page 6 Grapevine Convention and Visitors Bureau grapevinetexasusa.com Grapevine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-800/457-6338 See ad on page 35 Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa lostpines.regency.hyatt.com Lost Pines. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 512/308-1234 See ad on page 45 Kemah Boardwalk kemahboardwalk.com
50 july 2018 / fortworthchild
Kemah . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-877/285-3624 See ad on page 40 Kimbell Art Museum kimbellart.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/332-8451 See ad on page 31 Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth themodern.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/738-9215 See ad on page 9 Pleasure Pier pleasurepier.com Galveston. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-855/789-7437 See ad on page 40
BIRTH & BABIES
Mothers’ Milk Bank of North Texas texasmilkbank.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/810-0071 See ad on page 14
Academy Christian School facebook.com/academychristianschool Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/246-1448 See ad on page 53 Clayton Youth Enrichment claytonyouth.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/923-9888 See ad on page 26 KidsPark kidspark.com Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .682/323-4766 See ad on page 35 QuickSit Fort Worth See ad on page 53 Trinity Lutheran Children’s Center tlfw.org/childrens-center Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/732-8522 See ad on page 53
All Saints’ Episcopal School aseschool.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/560-5700 See ad on page 16
Alphabeteer alphabeteer.com Southlake . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .682/593-3953 See ad on page 53 Bethesda Christian School bcsfw.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/281-6446 See ad on page 21 Carpe Diem Private Preschool carpediempreschool.com Southlake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/431-2549 See ad on page 15 Children’s University childrensuniversity.com Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/784-6655 See ad on page 16 Clariden School, The claridenschool.org Southlake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 682/237-0400 See ad on page 25 Country Day School of Arlington cdsa.org Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/275-0851 See ad on page 37 Crown of Life Lutheran School www.colschool.org Colleyville . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/251-1881 See ad on page 42 First Baptist KIDS fbckellerkids.org Keller. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/431-4749 See ad on page 53 Flint Academy flintacademy.com Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/277-0620 See ad on page 34 Fort Worth Academy fwacademy.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/370-1191 See ad on page 21 Fort Worth Christian School fwc.org North Richland Hills . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/520-6200 See ad on page 19
Grapevine Faith Christian School grapevinefaith.com Grapevine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/442-9144 See ad on page 31
Key School keyschoolfortworth.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/446-3738 See ad on page 26 Liberty Christian School libertychristian.com Argyle. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 940/294-2000 See ad on page 25 LinkED link-ed.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .817/336-0808 See ad on page 30 Montessori School of Fort Worth msftw.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/732-0252 See ad on page 42
DOCUMENT SHARE WIN
Novus Academy thenovusacademy.org Grapevine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/488-4555 See ad on page 31 River Legacy riverlegacy.org Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/860-6752 See ad on page 37 Sonshine Academy Preschool firstcolleyville.com/sonshine Colleyville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/281-4158 See ad on page 53 Texas Center for Arts + Academics www.artsacademics.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/766-2390 See ads on pages 15 and 27 Trinity Christian Academy tcaeagles.org Willow Park . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/441-5897 See ad on page 39 Trinity Valley School tvs.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/321-0100 See ad on page 21 Waypoint Montessori waypointmontessori.org Colleyville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .817/354-6670 See ad on page 27 Westlake Academy westlakeacademy.org Westlake . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/490-5757 See ad on page 19
Ballet Center of Fort Worth balletcenterfortworth.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/423-9888 See ad on page 53 Casa Mañana casamanana.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/332-2272 See ad on page 21 Fort Worth Youth Orchestra fwyo.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/923-3121 See ad on page 8 Kidcreate Studio mansfieldtx.kidcreatestudio.com Mansfield. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 682/400-8383 See ad on page 39
HERE’S HOW TO ENTER:
1. Follow @dfwchildmag on Instagram any of our Summer Fun Map locations 2. Visit featured on dfwchild.com 3. Snap a picture and post it to Instagram hashtag #dfwchildsummerfun and be 4. Use sure to tag us @dfwchildmag
WHAT’S AT STAKE:
A three-night seaside experience in historic Galveston, TX
Contest closes July 31 at 11:59 pm. Winners will be announced on August 1. Winners selected at random. Must be 21 years or older to enter.
fortworthchild / july 2018 51
Little Gym, The thelittlegym.com Arlington/Mansfield. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/465-9296 Fort Worth, North . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/996-3691 Fort Worth, Southwest . . . . . . . . . . . . . .817/346-9655 Keller. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/562-4466 See ad on page 34
ALL ABOARD OUR TRACKLESS TRAIN
Great for Fairs, Festivals and Family Events
Margo Dean School of Ballet margodeanballet.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/738-7915 See ad on page 53
2 TRAIN CLASSES AVAILABLE
• Upscale electric powered, for indoor or outdoor fun.
ALSO, SEE US AT RIDGMAR MALL!
• Affordable gas powered, for outdoor family events.
Marina Almayeva School of Classical Ballet ma-balletschool.com Hurst . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/788-0818 See ad on page 53
Rates by the hour or per ride. Fully insured. Non-profit friendly.
Call 214.987.2888 www.ChooChooExpress.com
TCU Music Preparatory Division musicprep.tcu.edu Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/257-7604 Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/257-7604 Fort Worth, The Waterford . . . . . . . . . 817/257-7604 Mansfield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/257-7604 North Richland Hills . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/257-7604 See ad on page 37
Texas Ballet Theater School texasballettheater.org Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/763-0207 See ad on page 44
Comedy Mystery Excitement
Baylor Scott & White Colleyville Family Medicine colleyvillefamilymedicine.com Colleyville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/912-9920 See ad on page 14
Baylor Scott & White Emergency Hospital—Grand Prairie bsweh.org Grand Prairie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 972/854-0009 See ad on page 28
CHARACTER & THEME SHOWS • Magic • Face Painting • Clowns • Balloons
Posie PRODUCTIONS 972-641-2062
• Kid Friendly • Face Painters • Balloon Twisters • Sunny the Clown • Bounce Houses
• Snow Cone • Cotton Candy • Glitter Tattoos • Magic Show
52 july 2018 / fortworthchild
Choo Choo Express Trackless Trains choochooexpress.com Dallas-Fort Worth Area . . . . . . . . . . . . 214/987-2888 See ad on page 52 Magic By Bruce Chadwick magicbybrucechadwick.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/832-6062 See ad on page 52 Posie Productions posieclown.com Dallas-Fort Worth Area . . . . . . . . . . . . 972/641-2062 See ad on page 52
Air North Texas airnorthtexas.org Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/695-9240 See ad on page 9 Bread Winners Cafe breadwinnerscafe.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/984-8710 Trophy Club. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 469/283-6903 See ad on page 39 First Colleyville firstcolleyville.com Colleyville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/281-4158 See ad on page 53 KERA kera.org Dallas. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 214/871-1390 See ad on page 55 Morningstar DFW welcometomorningstar.com Weatherford. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/952-6220 See ad on page 46
Cook Children’s cookchildrens.org Dallas-Fort Worth Area . . . . . . . . . . . 682/885-4000 See ad on page 12
Nothing bundt Cakes nothingbundtcakes.com Arlington/Mansfield. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/557-2253 Arlington, North. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/583-6522 Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/989-2253 Southlake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/416-6228 See ad on page 25
James Haden, M.D., PA allergyfortworth.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/336-8855 See ad on page 35 Ads with © are © of Lauren Publications, Inc. 2018.
ONE STOP SHOP!
MEND (Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death) mend.org Irving. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 972/506-9000 See ad on page 39
Continuum Pediatrics—Dr. Kathryn Mandal, MD continuumtx.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/617-8600 See ad on page 39
iKids Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics ikidsdental.com Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/467-9089 Burleson, Dentistry . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .817/295-1144 Burleson, Orthodontics. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/426-1406. Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .817/332-0007 Fort Worth, North/Keller. . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/847-7001 Mansfield, Dentistry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/453-2800 Mansfield, Orthodontics. . . . . . . . . . . . 682/593-4820 See ad on page 2
Rainforest Cafe rainforestcafe.com Grapevine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 972/539-5001 See ad on page 25 Tarrant Regional Water District waterisawesome.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/335-2491 See ad on back cover
Pediatric Smiles PA pediatricsmiles.net Bedford . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/283-8600 See ad on page 30
Buy Buy Baby buybuybaby.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/731-0355 Hurst . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/595-7361 Southlake. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/601-0763 See ad on page 18
Women’s Health Services womenshealthservices.com Arlington . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/277-9415 See ad on page 4
Waterside watersidefw.com Fort Worth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 817/870-1122 See ad on page 20
Enrolling now for ages 3 and up Join us for a FREE trial class
Margo Dean School of Ballet TEACHING BALLET FOR OVER 50 YEARS
Ballet for age 3 and up, flamenco and jazz, adult ballet and classes in the “real barre” For info on classes, call now
Register in person, online, or just call 817 788 0818
3803 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth 6132 Overton Ridge Blvd., Fort Worth, TX 76132
817.423.9888 // www.balletcenterfortworth.com
NOW ENROLLING FOR THE 2018/2019 SCHOOL YEAR
Fun Brain Learning for Kids
A MINISTRY OF
• ABC’s • Phonics
Tues. & Thurs. Preschool Wed. Preschool Science Enrichment Thurs. Homeschool Enrichment
• Reading • School Readiness Skills • 1:1 Tutoring Highly interactive and educational fun for all learners, ages 18 months–7 years old
(For kids 1st to 6th grade)
Email Dana at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817.281.4158 x286
www.alphabeteer.com 682-593-3953 • Southlake
A mobile app designed to connect FAMILIES to LOCAL COLLEGES to find a sitter. Schedule a sitter ahead of time OR use the on-demand feature to request a sitter quickly • • • •
Instagram Account: @quicksitapp Launching in Fort Worth Fall 2018 The first campus to have access to the app will be TCU All users on the app will be background checked
Christian Preschool & Transitional Kindergarten 18 MONTHS–5 YEARS
A progressive curriculum • Small classroom ratios
Preschool: 6 wks – 5 yrs School Age: 5–12 yrs
817-246-1448 501 Academy Blvd., Fort Worth 76108
2018–2019 registration is happening now! Call us soon for a spot! First Baptist Kids In Discovery School 225 Keller Pkwy, Keller 76248 • 817-431-4749 www.fbckellerkids.org FBC KELLER K.I.D.S.
Keith Sanders, Pastor
LANETTE JAMES Kids & Family Minister
We’re passionate about presenting the Bible in fun, engaging ways
to lead every generation to KNOW and FOLLOW Jesus Sun. mornings • 9:00 • 10:15 • 11:30 5300 Colleyville Blvd., Colleyville, TX 76034 817.281.4158 • firstcolleyville.com/kids
M OB I L E
CPR C L A S SE S
Ads with © are © of Lauren Publications, Inc. 2018.
We Bring Safety Training to your Home or Office! Adult, Child and Infant CPR and 1st Aid Classes Flexible Scheduling & Night/Weekend Classes Available American Heart Association Certified Courses
CPR At Your Door
972-850-8185 • email@example.com
Ages six weeks through prekindergarten Faith-based child care for over 50 years! 3621 TULSA WAY, FORT WORTH, TEXAS 76107
fortworthchild / july 2018 53
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TOMORROW? WEâ€™VE GOT SOME IDEAS. What to do with your kids, no matter where you are in Dallas-Fort Worth. dfwchild.com/calendar
Not sure when and how much to water your lawn? The answers are in the palm of your hand. Sign up today at WaterIsAwesome.com to receive text and email reminders telling you what your lawn needs every week.
Water is awesome. Use it. Enjoy it. Just donâ€™t waste it.
The magazine parents live by in Fort Worth