ASYLUM SEEKER EMPLOYMENT PROJECT VOLUNTEER 1 day a week role Organisational Overview
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a lay Catholic organisation that has almost 20,000 volunteers carrying out good works on behalf of the society in NSW and the ACT alone. The Society is one of the largest charitable providers in Australia today, helping people in every area of human need.
The Migrant and Refugee team run a support program for community based asylum seekers. Some of our clients are eligible to work but have difficulty finding suitable employment. We are seeking a volunteer to work with us one day a week to assist our clients to find employment. This will involve building relationships with prospective employers, agencies and organisations and working with clients to ascertain their capabilities and desired outcomes. The Vinnies Asylum Seeker Employment Project Volunteer will be respectful of a client’s requirements and circumstances and work to empower the client at all times. The Vinnies Asylum Seeker Employment Project Volunteer will also have a creative approach to working with prospective employers.
Key Interactions / Relationships
• Migrant and Refugee Support Worker • Migrant and Refugee Coordinator • Society Members • Clients (asylum seekers) • External Stakeholders (including employers, agencies and other organisations that may be able to offer employment).
Migrant and Refugee Coordinator
Voluntary roles are subject to a satisfactory National Criminal History Record Check (NCHRC), Good Character Declaration and appropriate reference checks.
Areas of Responsibility
• Develop and administer the Vinnies Asylum Seeker Employment Project • Research opportunities to build relationships with prospective employers • Speak to clients with work rights about their employment capabilities and desired outcomes • Assist clients in understanding the requirements of employment • Assist clients with their employment applications • Create database of agencies and employers willing to work with our clients • Maintain a 100% client-focus and be respectful to clients at all times • Encourage positive learning and motivate clients to follow up opportunities on their own • Focus on capacity building for clients at all times • Ensure privacy principles are upheld at all times • Actively participate in all relevant training, debriefing and meetings
• Induction to the St Vincent de Paul Society • OH&S training • Refugee / Asylum Seeker related training – internally conducted • The Society may organise additional training if required and available
• Willingness to work within and commit to the ethos of the Society • Experience working with vulnerable people • Ability to build a rapport with clients and professionals • Willingness to be respectful and non judgemental at all times • Capacity to demonstrate initiative and drive in a challenging position
Desirable experience / qualifications Benefits – to volunteer
• Current driver’s licence • Experience working with asylum seekers and / or refugees • Experience developing and implementing programs • Increased understanding of issues relating to refugees and asylum seekers • Satisfaction of knowing that you are empowering clients to support themselves • Personal development in terms of leadership and networking skills • Hands on experience
Benefits – to community
• Employment program based on empowerment
• Karenna Alexander, Tel 02 9568 0250, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published on Apr 27, 2010