Page 1

Services for Urban Youth SERVICES FOR URBAN YOUTH

ISBN 978-976-610-949-3

Sponsored by

9 789766 109493

Services for Urban Youth

Copyright Š 2012 by Development Options Limited . All Rights Reserved Published by Y .U .T .E . Programme Management Office, Development Options Limited Kingston, Jamaica . Illustrations by Monique van den Hout ISBN: 978-976-610-949-3

Table of Contents Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 Section 1 – ESSENTIALS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 BIRTH CERTIFICATE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 TAX REGISTRATION NUMBER (TRN) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 NATIONAL INSURANCE SCHEME NUMBER (NIS) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 PASSPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 NATIONAL ID/VOTER’S ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 GETTING YOUR DRIVER’S LICENCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 THE NATIONAL HOUSING TRUST (NHT) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 OPENING A BANK OR CREDIT UNION ACCOUNT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12 STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 TRAVELING OVERSEAS: 10 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW! . . . . . . . . . . . . 15

Section 2 - LEGAL ISSUES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE HELD BY THE POLICE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GOING TO COURT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I’VE BEEN CONVICTED. NOW WHAT? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE PUT ON PROBATION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE SENT TO PRISON . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHAT IS A CRIMINAL RECORD? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HOW DO I APPLY FOR A POLICE CERTIFICATE/RECORD? . . . . . . . . . . . . .

17 18 19 20 20 22 24

Section 3 - HEALTH ISSUES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25

WHERE TO GO FOR MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29 WHERE CAN I GO FOR INFORMATION ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL AND SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS (STIs)? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30

Section 4 - SOCIAL WELFARE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32 MY HOUSE HAS BURNT DOWN. WHAT DO I DO AND WHERE DO I GO? . I REALLY NEED SOME HELP. WHAT IS AVAILABLE? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHERE CAN I GO TO HELP FOR MY CHILDREN? WHAT IS THE RIGHT PATH? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHO QUALIFIES FOR HELP FROM PATH? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ORGANIZATIONS TO ASK FOR HELP – SERVICES FOR SPECIAL GROUPS

33 34

36 37 38

Section 5 – WORK TIME! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40 BEFORE I APPLY FOR A JOB – THINGS TO HAVE READY . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHAT IS A RÉSUMÉ, AND HOW DO I WRITE ONE? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . THE INTERVIEW – DO’S AND DON’TS – 5 IMPORTANT TIPS . . . . . . . . . . DRESSING FOR SUCCESS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OVERSEAS WORK PROGRAMMES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

41 41 43 44 47 49

DIRECTORY OF SERVICE PROVIDERS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50

Introduction The Youth Upliftment Through Employment Programme (Y.U.T.E) along with CHASE Fund, the National Health Fund and Development Options Limited is pleased to provide our youth with this special services booklet. The Urban Youth Services Booklet is special because it deals with your issues, your needs, on your terms and through your eyes. The Urban Youth Services Booklet was written to provide clear information on things you may need to function effectively in everyday life. It is to fully empower you to be able to take charge of your life with knowledge and confidence because it helps you know where to go, what to do and how to do it. From applying for a birth certificate to applying for a job, the Urban Youth Services Booklet guides you through the steps to take to get things done. We’ve also included a listing of addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses for organisations mentioned in the booklet. We hope you will find the information in this booklet useful. Be sure to share it with your friends, should they require guidance and advice.

Note: Information in this booklet is subject to change without notice. Make it your duty to keep up to date. If you call and cannot get through over the phone, go directly to the offices.


Section 1 – ESSENTIALS This section of the Booklet deals with important papers you need for registering for school, getting a passport, applying for a job, traveling overseas and things to know if you want to start your own business.

BIRTH CERTIFICATE Your birth certificate, or birth paper, is a very important document which you will need when applying for an official ID, TRN, passport and signing up for school. How do I apply for a copy of my birth certificate? To get a copy of your birth certificate, you have to apply to the Registrar General’s Department (RGD). You will need to complete a form. Have the following information ready: • Parish of Birth • Your Full Legal Name • Name of parents • Date of Birth or age • Place of Registration • Place of Birth – • Birth entry number name of hospital or address of home The Certificate of Registry or the ‘pink slip’ IS NOT your birth certificate! BUT make sure to note the birth entry number on the top right hand corner of the certificate of registry – you are going to need it when applying for your birth certificate. If you do not have a pink slip with the birth entry number, you can do a search for it before applying for the birth certificate. Once you have all the necessary information you can apply at any of the RGD offices, or online at Things to Note: • There is a DRESS CODE for the RGD offices. Make sure your arms and legs are covered, and your hair neatly groomed. No bare skin should be showing between your neck and your knee. • If you go to the RGD offices to apply, let the agent at the information desk know what you are applying for so that they can give you the right form. • It takes between 2 to 4 weeks for the copy of your certificate to be mailed or delivered to you. • If the father’s details are not on a child’s birth paper, it can cause major delays with immigration and inheritance. You will need to go to the RGD if any changes to the birth record are to be made. This includes: • Correction of error • Addition of father’s particulars • Late registration of child (12 months after birth) • Late entry of Name


TAX REGISTRATION NUMBER (TRN) Your Tax Registration Number (TRN) has nine numbers. You will need one: •

When you start to work.

Are applying for a driver’s licence.

Intend to study at a HEART Trust/NTA institution.

To apply to the PATH Programme.

To open a bank/credit union account.

To register your business.

How do I apply for a TRN? Take a valid ID, like a passport with you to the Tax Office. If you do not have a passport, take your birth certificate and a passport-sized photo signed by a Justice of the Peace (J.P.). When you go to the Tax Office, FIRST speak to the agent at the information desk and tell them “I am here to apply for my TRN.” You will get a form to complete and be asked to wait in line to speak with an officer. The TRN officer will check your documents. If everything looks correct, you will be given your TRN number on a slip of paper. However, you will get the real card in a month’s time. Things to Note: • There is a dress code for the Tax Office. Make sure that your arms and legs are covered, and that your hair is neatly groomed. No bare skin should be showing between your neck and your knee.


When you go to the Tax Office to apply for your TRN, let the agent at the information desk know what you are applying for so that they can give you the right form.

Your TRN is issued free of cost.

NATIONAL INSURANCE SCHEME NUMBER (NIS) The National Insurance Scheme (NIS) offers some financial protection to workers and their families against loss of wages due to injury on the job, sickness, retirement and/or death of the breadwinner. All persons between the ages of 18-70 who are employed or self-employed should register with the NIS. How do I apply for my NIS number? Take your passport or birth certificate to the nearest NIS office. When you get there, tell the agent at the information desk that “I am here to apply for my NIS number.” You will be asked to complete the registration form, and then to wait in line to speak with an officer. The NIS officer will check your documents. If everything looks correct, you will be given your NIS number on a temporary slip. You will be asked to come back in a month’s time to collect your card. Things to Note: • If you have not reached the age of 18 and you have a temporary job you may apply for the “Too Young Letter” which will allow you to get your NIS Number. •

There is a dress code for the NIS office. Make sure that your arms and legs are covered, and that your hair is neatly groomed. No bare skin should be showing between your neck and your knee.

Your NIS contributions help to secure your old age pension, health insurance coverage after retirement, and a grant to assist your family with your funeral.


PASSPORT You need a passport if you plan to travel abroad (go to foreign). Your passport can also be used as an ID. How do I apply for a passport? Visit the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, PICA and pick up a free application form. Read the form carefully, and fill it out exactly as asked. You will then need to get: •

A copy of your birth certificate

Two of the same passport sized photos

An ID such as your national voter’s card or driver’s licence.

Your expired passport (if you have one)

You must bring all your documents to the Passport Office. A security officer will check your documents before asking you to take a seat in the waiting area. You will get a number. When your number is called you will enter the Passport Services Office, where you will go to the Information Desk to recheck your documents and form. You will then wait your turn to speak with the Reception officer, who will check to ensure that all information provided is correct before processing your request. If everything is in order, you will be asked to pay the fee at the cashier. Things to Note: • The passport office opens as early as 7:00AM. It is recommended that you get there early, as the process can take up to four hours.


There is a dress code for the Passport office. Make sure that your arms and legs are covered, and that your hair is neatly groomed. No bare skin should be showing between your neck and your knee.

It takes about 7 working days for you to get your passport.

You will need a visa in your passport to travel to popular countries, including the US, Canada, England and the Cayman Islands

NATIONAL ID/VOTER’S ID Once you are a citizen of Jamaica and are 18 years and over you can register to vote. Once you complete the process, a National ID or Voter ID will be available to you. How do I get a National ID/Voter ID? Visit the Electoral Office in your constituency, and complete the application form. Take your birth certificate or passport and a utility bill or letter with your address. The Electoral Office will send someone to your address to prove that you live there. Even though the registration process can be completed in one day, it takes up to 6 months to get your ID. Once registered, you will receive a Voter’s ID card which is a nationally recognized form of ID. This ID can be used to vote, open a Bank Account or when you send and receive money through remittance services. You DO NOT PAY for a Voter’s ID. The Electoral Offices are opened Monday to Friday between 9:00AM and 4:30PM.



You need a valid driver’s licence to legally drive a motor vehicle or ride a motorbike in Jamaica. How to apply for a driver’s licence The first step in getting your full Driver’s Licence is to apply for your Provisional Licence or Learner’s Permit. You must be at least 17 years old, and have a valid ID and a TRN. To get your Learner’s Permit, visit the Tax Office and pick up a free learner’s permit form. Complete the form carefully, and take two passport-sized photos. Ask a Justice of the Peace to sign the completed form and one of the passport photos. Take the completed documents back to the Tax Office with the fee and collect your permit on the same day. It will be valid for a period of one year. Take at least twenty (20) driving lessons from a family member, friend or a driving instructor before the driving test. During the same time buy or borrow a copy of the driving theory booklet and study it. You will need it for the written part of the driving test. When you are comfortable that you have learnt the essential driving


skills and understand the road code, go to the Tax Office to collect a driving licence application form. Complete the form carefully, and take 3 passport-sized photos. Ask a Justice of the Peace to sign the completed form and the 3 photos, return these to the Tax Office, and pay the processing fee. You then visit the Examination Depot and make an appointment to take the driving test. The driving test is made up of 3 parts: the written test, the yard test and the road test. If you pass all three, you then check with the Tax Office that you gave your documents to ensure that your application is recorded. This can take between 3 to 4 weeks. You will then need to go back to that same Tax Office, and pay the fee for your Driver’s Licence. You will take your photo and receive your licence on the same day. Check to make sure that the information on your Driver’s Licence is correct before leaving.



How does NHT work? The National Housing Trust (NHT) provides mortgage (loan) benefits for contributors to help them buy or build a house. How do I access an NHT mortgage (loan)? To get NHT benefits, you must first be a contributor who has made at least 52 weekly contributions. A minimum of 13 contributions must have been made within the last 26 weeks leading up to the date when you hand in the application form for the loan.


You can make a contribution either through your employer, or as a self employed individual. If you work for yourself, you need to complete a SelfEmployed Questionnaire and a Declaration of Income form. Contributions should be made to the NHT’s branch office every month. When buying a home, you need to make a deposit of the amount asked for by the person selling the house. The amount must not be less than the minimum of 5% of the purchase price required by the NHT. You will also need to save money to pay for legal costs, surveys and evaluations, and any other processing fees required. The amount of money you can get as a loan from the NHT depends on how much money you earn. You will need pay-slips and income letters to prove this. How much you can afford to borrow is determined by your income and age. The legal aspect of the loan process may take some time, as the NHT will need to talk with some persons such as the Registrar of Titles office, lawyers’ offices and in some cases, other lending agencies for registration of mortgages. This can be anywhere from 30 days to 3 months. Look in the newspaper or on the NHT website for when scheme units become available.


OPENING A BANK OR CREDIT UNION ACCOUNT Opening a bank or credit union account is an important step towards managing your money and attaining your financial goals. Many employers will require you to have an account to which your salary can be deposited. Here are the general steps involved in opening a bank or credit union account. Be sure to find out if the bank or credit union you are applying to needs any further information. Requirements


Credit Union

Completed Application Form

Proof of identification (this includes your Driver’s Licence, National ID or passport. Some institutions may ask you for two forms of identification.)

Contact details for 2 referees (this may include a Bank Manager, Justice of the Peace, Employer, Minister of Religion, or a long standing customer of the Bank / member of the Credit Union.)

Proof of address (this may be a JPS, LIME, Digicel or Water Commission bill which is in your name. You could also provide them with a postmarked letter addressed to you which is no older than six months old. )

Opening deposit (this is the cash you need to open your account. Be sure to find out what is the minimum amount your bank or credit union accepts.)

Passport Sized Photograph

 

Most banks and credit unions will provide you with a debit card which you can use to withdraw money at banking machines or purchase goods in stores. As a rule, try to use machines which belong to your bank, as the fees are cheaper.



How do I start a business? Starting a business is a big step for persons who wish to work for themselves. While very rewarding, starting and running your own business is hard work!


Before starting out, it is recommended that you think about: • • • •

the kind of business you are going to have how you are going to run your business how you will fund your business the legal structure for registering your business

You must research how you will make your business work well before you start it. This includes finding suppliers of any goods and services you might need, identifying competitors, and possible locations for your business. Importantly, you must look at who will be your customers and how you will market your goods and services to them. Once you have gathered all this information, write it down to create your business plan. When you are ready to register your business, you must decide whether it is going to be registered as: • •

A Company – defined as a commercial enterprise registered or incorporated under the Companies Act OR A Business – which is a sole trader or partnership registered under the Business Names Act

All registration of companies and businesses must be done at the Companies Office of Jamaica. Visit their offices and speak with an agent before completing your form to ensure that you are choosing the best registration option for your business. Once you have completed the forms, you must go back to the Companies Office and present your documents to the agent. When your application has been approved, you will be asked to pay the necessary fees at the cashier. You will also be told what other statutory documents you will need to get to complete your business set-up. Sometimes it can be very crowded at the Companies Office. You may spend between 1 and 3 hours to process your transaction. It is very important that you understand your statutory responsibilities or tax obligations as a business owner. This includes paying various taxes, NIS contributions, and contributions to the NHT. Where can I go for help in setting up my business? There are several agencies which provide help to persons starting their own businesses. They include: • • •


The Small Business Association of Jamaica (SBAJ) The Jamaica Business Development Corporation (JBDC) Jamaica Youth Business Trust (JYBT)

TRAVELING OVERSEAS: 10 Things You Should Know! 1. You must have a valid passport. 2. Determine if the country you wish to visit requires that you have a visa. 3. In applying for a visa, you must provide all the information required by the form. It is important that you follow all instructions. For some countries you MUST apply over the Internet. 4. Make a note of the kind of photograph the embassy is asking for. Find a good photographer who is experienced in taking visa photographs to avoid possible problems. 5. You will be asked to give the purpose of your trip. You must prove - through bank statements, job letter, invitation letter, or school registration – that you want to go for the purpose stated on your application, and that you have enough money for your stay. 6. For a visitor’s visa, you must prove that you have strong reasons to return to Jamaica. 7. Visa fees are non-refundable. It is important that you complete the application form properly, submit as requested, and provide all supporting documents for your application to be considered. 8. Many embassies require that you make an appointment for your visa interview. Be sure to get the right date and time, and reach early. 9. Read the embassy’s guidelines carefully to see what you can take with you into the building. Many do not allow cell phones and other electronic devices, liquids, or weapons. 10. Also make sure you dress properly. For information about entering other countries, you may check with the Consular Corps of Jamaica.


Section 2 - LEGAL ISSUES

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE HELD BY THE POLICE You have certain rights and responsibilities if you are arrested or detained by the Police. When you are arrested and taken to the police station, the Police should ask if you have an attorney or lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, then you should be provided with a list of Duty Counsels. These are lawyers who agree to provide legal aid assistance to persons in police custody. The Government pays them. DO NOT give them any money. Choose one to represent you. Once you have asked the Police to contact a Duty Counsel on your behalf they should not question you until your lawyer arrives. The police should allow the Duty Counsel to meet with you somewhere where they cannot hear your conversation. Once you are charged you have a right to bail. Bail must be considered within 24 hours of you being charged. For most offences the Police can grant bail. This is known as station bail. If you are charged with an offence for which you cannot be imprisoned then the police SHOULD in most cases grant you bail. How do I file a complaint WITH the Police? If a crime has been committed against you, go to the nearest police station to file a complaint. The officer on duty will take your statement. Be sure to give them as much facts required to successfully complete your statement. A receipt will then be issued. It may take some time for the Police to investigate your complaint. Follow up with the police station to find out the status of your complaint. How do I file a complaint AGAINST a police officer? To file a complaint against a police officer or any other member of the Security Forces, all you have to do is go to the office of the Independent Commission of Investigation (INDECOM). INDECOM is run by civilians, there are no police there. Depending on the nature of the complaint, INDECOM will have a member of their team investigate. How long the process takes after you have made your complaint depends on how quickly the matter can be solved.


GOING TO COURT How does legal aid work?

If you are charged with a criminal offence and the case goes to court, the Duty Counsel may represent you for your first court appearance. You may then make an application for a Legal Aid lawyer. You can ask the court to appoint you a Legal Aid lawyer or get your own lawyer. The cost of a Legal Aid lawyer is determined after a test to know how much you are able to pay.


It is important that you follow up with your lawyer about your court appearance dates, and also any documentation you may require to help with your defence. If possible, make a note of the name of the police officer who laid the charge against you. It might come in handy for your first court hearing if the details of your case are unclear. Make sure you are know the offence with which you are being charged.


A prison sentence is not always automatic if you are found guilty (convicted) of an offence. In fact, Jamaica’s Justice System makes special allowances for persons aged 17 to 22 to receive non-custodial sentences if you are convicted of an offence that: •

Does not have a mandatory sentence by law

Did not involve violence of any kind

Does not involve guns (real or imitation)


It is up to the judge to decide if you go to prison or not. Note that if you fail to do as the court asks you can be imprisoned. If you have been found guilty of a crime, you may be: • • • • • •

Told to pay a fine Admonished and discharged Told to perform community service Receive a suspended sentence Placed on Probation Sent to prison

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE PUT ON PROBATION Working with your Probation Officer If you are placed on probation by the judge, you are allowed to go home. However, you will be supervised in the community and must obey the rules of your Probation Order. Some rules of your probation order may include keeping the peace, good behaviour, obeying the law and reporting regularly to a Probation Officer. There is a Probation Officer is every parish. The Probation Officer acts as a Mediator, Facilitator, Counsellor, Confidant and Advocate.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE SENT TO PRISON If you are given a prison sentence by the judge, you will be placed in a correctional facility for the period of the sentence. Ensure that you find out if any time you have spent in remand (lock up) counts towards your sentence. Life in prison is challenging. Your actions are monitored and your movements are restricted. It is important for you to abide by the regulations of the institution and the instructions of the wardens. While you are in prison, you are entitled to basic welfare services, including essential healthcare, food and adequate accommodations. Some institutions also have good skills training programmes, where you can learn a trade and catch up on your schooling. Visits by family members are mostly permitted. Be careful not to accept any illegal items, such a cell phones or weapons during the visits, as they will be seized.


What is Parole? If for your crime you are sent to prison, you could come out before you have served all the time by what is called a PAROLE. Parole is the permission granted to a person serving time to leave prison and to spend the last portion of that sentence back in normal society. The Parolee will receive guidance from a Parole Officer who will help them settle back into the community. When is an inmate eligible for Parole? Every inmate serving time in prison for more than 1 year can be considered for Parole. Parole can be granted after the inmate has spent 1 year or 1/3 of his total time whichever is more. If an inmate is serving time for more than one crime, parole is based on the longest sentence being served. If an inmate is serving time for life, parole is possible after serving time for a minimum of 7 years or a time set by the Court. If the inmate is released, he or she becomes a Parolee and is placed on a Parole Order. Can a Parole be taken back or cancelled? A Parole can be taken back or cancelled if: •

The Parolee disobeys the rules in the Parole Order


The Parolee is seen as dangerous to public safety


The Parolee is charged with a new crime

If a Parolee does not give any trouble for the time of his parole and all the authorities are satisfied, he or she becomes a totally free member of the society again.



The Criminal Record Office is at 34 Duke Street Kingston. Apart from applying for a Police Record, it is where you go to apply to have your criminal record removed as set out in the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Act, 1988. To have your criminal record removed can be a long process. So, the point is to stay out of trouble. However, if you are convicted, you can start planning what to do once you complete your sentence. Can my criminal record be removed? If you have made a true effort to live a decent life after being convicted of a crime, you could be given a chance to start over with a clean slate but you have to first qualify. To qualify you must satisfy 2 things:



Your sentence was served in regular society and not in a prison or if you were given a 3 year custodial sentence.


You must not be convicted of a crime during the rehabilitation time.

What is rehabilitation time? Rehabilitation time is the amount of time you must wait before you can apply for your criminal record to be removed. This depends on the sentence handed down by the court. This period can be as low as 6 years for sentences served in regular society or as high as 20 years for time served in prison. How do I apply to have my criminal record removed? 1. Go to the Ministry of Justice building. Let Customer Service know what you want to apply for and make sure you get 2 of the same form. 2. When you have filled out the form, take it back to Customer Service along with a copy of your fingerprints. Get your fingerprints at the Criminal Record Office. 3.

Your application will be taken to the Criminal Record (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Board where they will decide if you qualify or not.

4. If you qualify, you will have to pay a fee to process your fingerprint search. This fee must be paid at the Payment Division of the Ministry of National Security. 5. Take the receipt back to Customer Service at the Ministry of Justice. 6. A request will be made to the Criminal Record Office for a police report plus 2 letters of recommendation from a J.P., Superintendent of Police or Minister of Religion. 7. All this information goes back to the Criminal Record (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Board for a final decision. 8. You will be told what decision is taken – if you get through or not. 9. If you get through, you will be able to get a CLEAN POLICE RECORD at the Criminal Record Office and you do not have to go to the Ministry of Justice anymore. 10. If you do not get through, you can make an appeal to the Ministry of Justice. You can check with Customer Service at the Ministry for more information.


How do I apply for a Police Certificate/Record? A police certificate, also known as a police record, is a document issued by the Criminal Record Office. This shows a person’s criminal history. You will need a police record when looking about certain local jobs and if you are planning to go abroad to work or live. Applying for a Police Record There are 2 types of Police Records – Local Police Record & Overseas Police Record. When you apply for a police certificate, you must first pay a fee at any of the Tax Offices islandwide. When you go to the Tax Office, tell the cashier you are paying for a Police Record. There are 2 types of services to get the police record, let them know which one you are paying for: 1. Express Service – this takes 5 working days 2. Normal Service – this takes 21 working days If you paid for an Overseas Police Record, when going to the Criminal Record Office, you will also need to take with you: •

Your valid passport

Your TRN

Two passport-sized Photographs

Receipt of payment from any Tax Office island wide

If you paid for a Local Police Record, when going to the Criminal Record Office, you will also need to take with you: •

Valid Identification (driver’s licence, passport or national ID)

Your TRN

Receipt of payment from any Tax Office islandwide

The Criminal Record Office is at 34 Duke Street, Kingston. They are open between 9AM and 3PM. It gets very busy in this office, so it is best to go early in the morning. Be sure not to bring any illegal items – knives, drugs etc. A dress code is also enforced, so be sure that you are covered between your collarbone and knees, and that you arms are covered.



Where do I go for medical treatment? There are 45 Health Centres in Kingston and St. Andrew. They are easily found because they are usually named for the community they are in. These are government run health centres, and no user fees are charged. However, you may be asked to make a contribution to cover the costs of some services. People often call them clinics, and they provide health services such as: •

Children clinic

Dressing for cuts and wounds

Regular doctor’s check ups

Maternal clinic – for new and expecting mothers

Mental health – psychologists / psychiatrists

Dental and eye care

When you first go to the clinic, you will be asked to register. Be sure to carry your registration card every time you go. It is important that you know the date and time of your appointment. There is a very long wait for most services, and do not be surprised if doctors or nurses do not turn up some times. The best advice is to go early in the morning, and be prepared to spend hours waiting to see the doctor. Go to your local clinic if your health condition is not an emergency. This means if you are going for routine checkups, or if you have a mild illness. If your condition is serious, such as chronic pain, or injury, you should go to the nearest hospital. See Directory under HEALTH CENTRE & CLINICS.



All persons, resident in Jamaica, who have been diagnosed with one or more of the covered chronic illness, can get National Health Fund, NHF, benefits. Chronic illnesses include: • Arthritis

• Glaucoma

• Prostate Cancer

• Asthma

• Hypertension

• Psychosis

• Breast Cancer

• Asthma

• Rheumatic Fever

• Diabetes

• Heart disease

• Vascular Disease

• Epilepsy

• Major Depression


To access benefits, persons with any of the chronic illnesses listed on the previous page must register with the NHF. 1. You can pick up NHF forms at hospitals, health centres and doctor offices. 2. Fill out the form which will ask for your name, gender, address, date of birth and TRN. 3. If you are UNDER 18 YEARS OLD, an adult or legal guardian must sign the form. 4. On the form, you must prove you have been diagnosed with one or more of the listed conditions. This must be done by a medical doctor. 5. When the application is approved you will be given a NHF card to use for buying drugs from Pharmacies that work with the NHF Programme. 6. There is no age limit for persons who wish to benefit from the NHF.



Good mental health is just as important as good physical health. Many mental health conditions such as depression and bipolar disorder can be treated effectively through therapy and in some cases medication. Some illnesses are temporary, brought on by a traumatic experience, or the death of a loved one. Others require long term care and treatment. There is no need to feel ashamed if you are experiencing a mental illness. Help is available! Find your local health centre and ask when and where is the next mental health clinic. On your first visit, the psychiatrist will ask you details about your illness. Be sure to tell them when your symptoms started, and describe what you are feeling. Once a diagnosis is made, you will be given a treatment plan which can include drugs and or talking with a counsellor or psychologist. Your doctor may recommend that you continue your treatment at the Bellevue Hospital, which specializes in mental health care. Depending on the type of illness you have, you will be able to access medical help and rehabilitation in a clean and healthy environment.


WHERE CAN I GO FOR INFORMATION ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL AND SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS (STIs)? National Family Planning Board The National Family Planning Board (NFPB) is the government agency responsible for good family planning. They provide information on all kinds of birth control. Anyone including you can walk into their office and get help. Talk to a staff member and get the help you need to better manage how many children you have, when you have them and how to enjoy a responsible sex life.


National HIV / STI Programme The National HIV/STI Programme is a government response to protecting the rights of all Jamaicans infected and or affected by HIV and AIDS. They provide access to information and skills on the prevention of HIV and other STIs as well as stigma and discrimination issues. Jamaica Red Cross The Jamaica Red Cross also offers counselling and testing services to individuals. Importantly, they provide support to people living with HIV/AIDS and their families. Jamaica AIDS Support for Life The Jamaica AIDS Support for Life works to keep the respect and rights of persons living with HIV/AIDS. Anyone can visit them for help. They can direct you to agencies that assist with medication and support if you are diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. The National AIDS Committee of Jamaica The National AIDS Committee of Jamaica brings different organizations together to help to with the prevention, control and support of HIV/ AIDS and those living with or affected by HIV/AIDS. They make it easy for persons to come together to share their ideas, experiences and questions about HIV/AIDS and other STIs. CHARES Centre of HIV/AIDS Research Education Service (CHARES) is on the UWI Hospital compound. They do Counseling & Testing for HIV free of cost. Jamaica Network of Seropositives The Jamaica Network of Seropositives handles reports that deal with people who are abused or treated badly because of their HIV status. Bad treatment includes: being forced to leave your home, workplace, school or community; beating or cursing and being turned away from clinics or places that offer health care.



My house has burnt down. What do I do and where do I go?

Once you are out of your home do not go back for any reason. If people are trapped, the firefighters have the best chance of rescuing them. The heat and smoke of a fire are overpowering. Firefighters have the training, experience, and protective equipment needed to enter burning buildings. Even if your house has been damaged only a little by the fire, do not return unless the firefighters have said it is safe to do so. Smoke inhalation and unseen structural damage could put your health and life at risk. Try to find a family member or close friend with whom you can spend the night. If you are a fire victim, there are several things you must do to get assistance to recover. Make sure that you receive a fire report from the Jamaica Fire Brigade confirming that you were burnt out. Victims of fire are assessed by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security’s social workers and given quick help in the form of food and comfort items. They also check out the victims to see if they qualify for a Compassionate Grant. Organizations such as churches and Food for the Poor can also be approached for assistance. You will need to provide them with a copy of the fire report.


I REALLY NEED SOME HELP. What is available? There is support available for persons needing welfare assistance. Social workers, pastors and non-governmental organisations can direct you to the best agencies to help you once you tell them the kind of support you need. The government also provides some assistance through the Ministry of Labour and Social Security. Services provided by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security Compassionate and Emergency Grants are available to persons who are in need of quick help and who cannot get the help they need under any other scheme. The grant aims to provide swift response to emergency situations. This benefit is given either as a cash grant or in the form of things you might need eg. food clothes, etc.


The types of cases which are considered include: • Victims of robbery •

Children attending schools (other than Primary/ All-Age) who are in need of uniforms, fees, etc.

Fire, flood or hurricane victims who have lost their belongings and are without insurance

Purchase of urgently needed medical aids or the replacement of such aids which have either been lost, stolen, destroyed or have become unserviceable

Funeral expenses for the very poor

Expenses for medical bills such as medication, lab tests, ultrasound and x-ray which are not available through a public health office.

You will need to apply for the grant at the Ministry’s offices. Be sure to tell the officer why you are there. S/he will direct you to the right department, and tell you which form you are to complete. In addition to filling out a form, you may also be asked to provide proof of what you need the funds to do. This may be a letter from the police, or the quotation for a new pair of crutches. There is a dress code for the Ministry’s offices, so ensure that your clothing covers you from your shoulders to knees, and that your arms are covered.


Where can I go to help for my children? The Programme of Advancement Through Health and Education (PATH) supports poor families in educating their children and providing healthcare to vulnerable family members

To access benefits under the PATH programme, you must meet the requirements and prove that you come from a poor family. This is done through what is called a Proxy Means Test. You will be interviewed and asked to complete a form with the help of someone who works for the


Ministry of Labour and Social Security. You will need to give personal information about your family, including levels of education attained. After the interview, an officer from the Ministry of Labour and Social Security will visit your home visit to make sure what you told them is correct. If you qualify, you will be register and begin receiving payments.

Who qualifies for help from PATH? There are 5 broad categories of persons which the PATH program helps. These are: •

Children: from birth to completion of secondary education

Elderly: 60 years or over, and not getting a pension

Persons with DisAbilities

Pregnant and Lactating Women

Poor Adults 18-59 years

To apply you will need: 1. Birth Certificate or other proof of age for head of the family 2. A Picture ID of the head of the family 3. The Birth Certificates of children under 1 year old who live in the home 4. Birth Certificate or proof of age of adults over 60 years old who live in the home. Other things to note: •


Someone can apply for the Programme for you

Payments are made by cheques or to your bank card

Cheques are collected at Post Offices

For your bank card, you have to apply for it through the Ministry of Labour and Social Security

Payments are made every 2 months

To qualify for the Education Grant, the child’s school attendance must be 85% or higher

PATH provides some skills training

PATH DOES NOT find jobs for persons


ORGANIZATIONS TO ASK FOR HELP – Services for special groups The Abilities Foundation Of Jamaica The Abilities Foundation of Jamaica is an agency that provides quality skills training and education for persons with all kinds of disAbilities so they can go on to lead normal lives, and provide for themselves. They give training in areas such as Dressmaking and Tailoring, Woodwork, Computer and Gardening. The Jamaica Council for the Persons with DisAbilities The Jamaica Council for Persons with DisAbilities is a government agency responsible for rehabilitation, skills training and finding suitable jobs for person with disAbilities. They work to make sure that job opportunities for the able and disabled are the same. CISOCA The Centre for Investigation of Sexual Offenses & Child Abuse (CISOCA) is a branch of the Jamaica Constabulary Force. CISOCA creates an environment that makes it easier for victims to report cases of sexual and child abuse. They investigate the abuse and give counseling therapy to victims. RISE Life Management Services RISE Life Management Services known before as Addiction Alert deals with the prevention and treatment of addictive disorders like drug and alcohol abuse to name a few. They deal with community health, education intervention, violence, drugs and HIV/AIDS Prevention. They also have life skills training, parenting programmes, social and health related services and official HEART/NTA skills training programmes. They also help you to get: birth certificates, TRN & NIS cards and training and employment opportunities. VICTIM SUPPORT UNIT The Victim Support Unit (VSU) is an agency of the Ministry of National Security. They provide counselling, advice and public support for victims of crime and violence. JFLAG The Jamaica Forum for Lesbians, All Sexuals & Gays provides social support and information for sexual minorities. They also offer counselling services, referrals and intervene in crises affecting members of their community. DIABETES ASSOCIATION OF JAMAICA The Diabetes Association of Jamaica is a non-profit organization that deals with education for the prevention of diabetes (sugar) and care for persons


with diabetes. The Association also provides eye treatment, dialysis and pharmaceutical services. They also offer health checks and screening. NATIONAL CENTRE FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT The National Centre for Youth Development is the agency of the Ministry of Youth and Culture responsible for the development of youth ages 15 to 24 years. Some programmes under the Centre include Jamaica Youth Ambassadors, National Youth Council and Youth Month. Learn how you can benefit from training opportunities, business networking and development programmes by registering at a Youth Information Centre (YIC). MICO CARE CENTRE & EARLY CHILDHOOD STIMULATION PROJECT This centre offers assessment, counseling and therapy for young children (ages 4-12) that show emotional and behaviour problems. They also help with older children (13-18) who have difficulties with reading, language arts and mathematics. HEART FOUNDATION OF JAMAICA The Heart Foundation of Jamaica cares about preventing the onset of heart disease. They run Nutritional, Cardiac, Hypertension and Diabetic Clinics. They offer blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, iron, and kidney checks. JAMAICA SOCIETY FOR THE BLIND The Jamaica Society for the Blind provides support to people who are blind and severely visually impaired. They work on encouraging better eye care among those who can see. They also do vision testing and rehabilitation. SIR JOHN GOLDING REHABILITATION CENTRE The Sir John Golding Rehabilitation Centre, known in the past as the Mona Rehab, offers physiotherapy, speech therapy, counseling, social support and medical services. Anyone can benefit from the services. They do Admissions and General Clinic every Tuesday and Amputee Clinic every first Friday. SDC The Social Development Commission is the main agency supporting community development planning and community building activities. The Commission has officers assigned to every community, and supports programmes concerned with sports, social, cultural and economic development. Getting involved in community building is an excellent way to build your leadership skills and to become an agent for change within your community. You can call the SDC to find out how you can get involved.


Section 5 – WORK TIME!

Before I apply for a job – things to have ready When applying for a job you may need your résumé or curriculum vitae (CV), cover letter, letters of recommendation, your birth certificate, TRN, NIS and an ID. Depending on the type of job you are applying for, you may need a driver’s licence. Be sure to check with the potential employer about their requirements.

What is a Résumé, and how do I write one?

Your Résumé is a short document that shows your work experience, level of education and skills. The Cover Letter gives you a chance to tell your possible future employer why you are the best person for the job. Since the person who you are applying to does not know you well, they sometimes ask that you provide them with a one or two Reference Letters from people who have worked with you before or know you really well.


Even after giving all this information, some places may ask you to fill out an application form. Do not worry; it is just their way to make sure that all that you tell them is true. Here are 10 tips to make your résumé work: 1. Make sure you include your name address and telephone number on your résumé – the potential employer must be able to contact you. You can include an email address but make sure it is appropriate. One safe way is to use your name example 2. Know the purpose of your résumé – keep it short and to the point. 3. Focus on your good qualities and strengths – instead of listing your good qualities, say what you have used those things to do. 4. Make sure to use the right words – use words that are related to the job you are applying for. 5. Read it over twice – when you are finished with your résumé read it over two times. You can also ask someone to take a look at it for you. A little mistake could make you seem careless. 6. Use bullet points – use a list of short sentences to describe your work experiences, all the schools you attended and your goals. No more than 2 pages. 7. Put the most important information first – even if you have done many things, put on the paper the best ones first. 8. Do it on a computer – get your Résumé typed out even if you think your handwriting is pretty. 9. Avoid negativity – do not bad mouth the places you have worked at before. 10. Go with what you got – be honest about everything on your résumé. If you lie, they will know.


The INTERVIEW – Do’s and Don’ts – 5 Important TIPS Do your homework You should try to find out as much as you can about the company before you go to the interview. It is one way to show that you really want the job. Practice makes perfect Go over a few questions that you may be asked at the interview and practice the answer. Do it a couple of times. This will help to calm your nerves before the real interview. Make sure to smile and maintain good eye contact – this will impress the person doing the interview. Smiling and eye contact means you are confident. DO NOT look all over the place or stare the person down. Get there early! Be sure that you have the correct address for the company that will be interviewing you. Know which buses to take and aim to get there 30 minutes before your scheduled interview time.

First impressions last How you look and what you wear to your interview can decide if you get the job or not. In this case it is fine for you to dress to impress but do not overdo it. Make sure your hair is properly combed and that you smell good. Manners get you through the world Being polite is one good way to make sure they remember you. Do not forget to say Good Morning or Good Afternoon when you walk into the interview. Place your cell phone on silent or TURN IT OFF. DO NOT answer your cell phone during an interview. Always thank your interviewer.


DRESSING FOR SUCCESS How you dress when going for an interview could decide if you get the job or not. If you cannot get the clothes you need in a store, you can always buy the fabric and get it made by a tailor or dressmaker. As a lady you could wear: • A knee length skirt or full, long pants • To be on the safe side, wear a slip under your skirt • A nice blouse or shirt • A jacket • Closed toe shoes • If you wear make-up – use as little as possible • If you are wearing extensions, make sure they are neat. As a man, you could wear: • Full dark coloured dress pants • Dark coloured shoes • Plain Dress Shirt • A white or black T-Shirt under your dress shirt • Low cut hair. If you have locks make sure they look neat • A dark coloured belt. If your pants come with loops – you must wear a belt. As a lady, what NOT to wear: • NO jeans • NO mini skirt or shorts • NO Belly Skin or tight fitting clothes • NO see through blouse or skirt. NO open toe shoes or slippers • NO bright make – up • NO coloured hairpiece • NO tongue ring, nose ring, facial jewelery, colourful bangle or ankle bracelet • NO slippers • NO sneakers • NO strong perfume • NO brightly painted fingernails • If you wear powder, it should not be visible. As a man, what NOT to wear: • NO jeans or tight pants or shorts • NO shirt with designs on them • NO sneakers • NO belt with a large buckle example skull, girl, gun or marijuana (weed) • NO thick link chain. If you want to wear a chain, make sure you wear it inside • NO hairpiece or plaited hair. NO rag or handkerchief hanging out of your pocket.


RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF WORKERS Before you start working with a company, make sure you know your rights and responsibilities. This includes the minimum wage rate of general workers and security officers, holiday with pay, and maternity leave. More information can be found in: The Employment (Termination and Redundancy Payments) Act & Regulations The Shops & Offices Act and Shops and Offices Regulation, among others There is much to know about the rules of employment. You can visit the Pay and Conditions of Employment Branch (P.C.E.B.) of the Industrial Relations Section of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security to learn more about your rights and responsibilities. KNOWING SOME EMPLOYMENT TERMS

What is a Work Contract? A work contract is the terms and conditions that a company offers to you when they hire you for a job. It covers what they expect from you, how you are to behave on the job, and how much they are going to pay you. Someone from the company will sit and discuss the contract with you. If you have any problems with what they are saying, they should answer them. Once you are satisfied with the offer, you will have to sign it. Signing the contract makes the hire official.


What is Work Probation? Probation is a time period used to “check out” a person who is hired. The amount of time depends on the company. During this time, the company will assess work attendance, how early you arrive for work each day, how well you interact with other workers and how well you can manage the job. During this time, you are not a permanent worker. Depending on how well you do during this time, you could be promoted and get a pay increase or be advised that you are not being hired. What is the Pay Slip? A Pay Slip is a paper that shows how much money you before taxes and other deductions are taken out (this is called GROSS PAY). It also shows you how much money you get after taxes and deductions are taken out (this is called NET PAY). This is the amount of money you get to take home. When you are signing the contract, be sure to ask if the amount in the contract is the GROSS or NET PAY. You do not want to get excited about the GROSS PAY and then get disappointed when you see the NET PAY or angry because you think the company is trying to rob you. What are Statutory Deductions? Statutory Deductions are taxes that your company has to take from your pay which they then pay over to the government. The government use these funds to provide social and public services that otherwise we would not be able to afford, like good roads and public hospitals. In paying these taxes you help to participate in nation building. There are 4 basic statutory deductions in Jamaica – Income Tax or P.A.Y.E, National Insurance Scheme (NIS), National Housing Trust (NHT) and Education Tax. What is Termination? Termination refers to when a work period has come to an end. A work period can come to an end through the following: 1. The contract between you and the company comes to an end 2. You break a rule in the contract and you are fired 3. You resign, that is, choose to leave the work 4. You are injured on the job and can no longer carry out the duties of the job 5. You are made redundant. This is when your position in the company is removed or is no longer needed.



The Ministry of Labour & Social Security operates some programmes that allow you to work in Canada and the United States of America (USA). You can gain valuable work experience through these programmes. Opportunities exist for Drivers, Heavy Equipment Operators, Mechanics, and Licenced Practical Nurses. There is also work for those interested


in the Automotive, Construction, Manufacturing, Mining, Agriculture, Seafood Packaging and Hospitality industries. To qualify for the US Hospitality Programme, applicants should: •

Be between the ages of 21 – 40

Have 2 years’ experience in the area to which they are applying

Have a valid passport and birth certificate

Have NO criminal record

Not been denied a visa by the U.S Embassy over the last 12 months

Not been deported from the USA, Canada, UK or any other country

To qualify for the Farm Work Programme, applicants should have: •

Valid passport and birth certificate

No criminal record

Not been denied a visa by the U.S Embassy over the last 12 months

Not been deported from the USA, Canada, UK or any other country

Applications for the Hotel Work Programme are usually open in September each year. You can check with the Manpower Services Section of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security for application forms and more information. The Overseas Work Programmes usually require that you have letters of recommendation when applying. Recommendation letters are normally accepted from the following: Lawyer, Justice of the Peace (JP), Pastor, Parish Councillors, Senior Police Officers and Members of Parliaments.


NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE The National Youth Service aims to equip youths with the necessary life coping skills to foster their personal and career development as well as enhance their contribution to community and national development. The organisation has been targeting unattached youths (17-24 years), through personal development, volunteerism and apprenticeship. In essence, youths are socialized to core values and attitudes, steered toward national service, facilitated through career development, exposed to specific career options and promoted and assisted in improvement of academic qualifications. Through its varied programme offerings the organisation has uniquely and effectively addressed many of the social issues facing young people in Jamaica. NYS trainees provide valuable support in the healthcare, education and administrative support fields, among others. While in training, participants gain valuable practical work experience, and develop a range of personal development skills such as time management, deportment and conflict resolution. If you’re looking for a meaningful opportunity to gain work experience while developing yourself, the NYS may be a good option for you!


DIRECTORY OF SERVICE PROVIDERS This Directory contains the addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and websites where available of all the organizations mentioned in this booklet.

ABILITIES FOUNDATION OF JAMAICA 191 Constant Sprint Road Kingston 8 TEL: 969-5720 Email: Website: BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION 28 Trafalgar Road Kingston 10 TEL: 936-0700 Website: CANADIAN HIGH COMMISSION 3 West Kings House Road Waterloo Road Entrance Kingston TEL: 926-1500 EMAIL: CHARES UWI Hospital Kingston 7 TEL: 977-6921 COMPANIES OFFICE OF JAMAICA 1 Grenada Way Kingston 5 TEL: 908-4419-24 EMAIL: WEBSITE: CRIMINAL RECORD OFFICE 34 Duke Street Kingston Tel: 922-3221 Email:


DIABETES ASSOCIATION OF JAMAICA 1 Downer Avenue Kingston 5 TEL: 927-6774 WEBSITE: ELECTORAL OFFICE OF JAMAICA 43 Duke Street Kingston TEL: 922-0425-9 TOLL FREE: 1-888-991-8683 WEBSITE: EMERGENCY SERVICES POLICE: 119 AMBULANCE/FIRE: 110 HEART FOUNDATION OF JAMAICA P.O. Box 338 28 Beechwood Avenue Kingston 5 TEL: 929-3195,926-4378,926-6492 WEBSITE: INDECOM 1A Dumfries Road Kingston 10 Tel: 968-8875,968-1932,920-2324 Toll Free: 1-888-367-4357 Email: Website: J - FLAG Tel: 754-8704, 378-9834 Helpline: 978-8988 Website:

JAMAICA AIDS SUPPORT FOR LIFE 4 Upper Musgrave Avenue Kingston 10 TEL: 978-2345, 978-7876/4668 EMAIL: WEBSITE: JAMAICA BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (JBDC) 14 Camp Road Kingston 4 TEL: 928-5161-5 EMAIL: WEBSITE: JAMAICA BUSINESS INFORMATION CENTRE 14 Camp Road Kingston 4 TEL: 928-5161-5 JAMAICA FIRE BRIGADE HEADQUARTERS 14 Port Royal Street Kingston TEL: 922-0007, 967-0550, 967-4607. FAX: 967-3594 JAMAICA NATIONAL HIV/STI CONTROL PROGRAMME Ministry of Health 4th Floor, Oceana Building 2-4 King Street Prevention: 967-4286,967-2559 Treatment: 967-1100,967-2569/2652 HELPLINE: 1-888-991-4444, 967-3830/3764 WEBSITE: JAMAICA NETWORK OF SEROPOSITIVES 3 Trevennion Park Road Kingston 5 TEL: 929-7340 EMAIL: WEBSITE: JAMAICA RED CROSS 76 Arnold Road Kingston 5 TEL: 926-7246, 926-6837 WEBSITE:

JAMAICA SOCIETY FOR THE BLIND 111 ½ Old Hope Road Kingston 6 TEL: 927-3760,927-6758 WEBSITE: JAMAICA YOUTH BUSINESS TRUST (JYBT) 22 Melmac Avenue, Kingston 5 TEL: 929-0236, 929-0748 Email: Kingston & St. Andrew Family Court 122 East Street Kingston TEL: 922-1628/948-7705 KINGSTON LEGAL AID CLINIC 131 Tower Street Tel: 922-3792,922-3761,922-3556 Email: MICO CARE CENTRE 3 Manhattan Road Kingston 5 TEL: 929-2224,754-4757 EMAIL: WEBSITE: MINISTRY OF JUSTICE NCB North Tower 2 Oxford Road Kingston 5 TEL: 906-4923-31, 906-6005 MINISTRY OF LABOUR & SOCIAL SECURITY 1F North Street Kingston TEL: 922-9500-14 WEBSITE: THE MSME ALLIANCE Shop#7 Seabed Arcade King Street Kingston TEL: 610-9371,289-9807,774-2978 EMAIL: Website:



REGISTRAR GENERAL’S DEPARTMENT (RGD) Shop 26 & 27 Kingston Mall Downtown Kingston TEL: 922-0010-12 EMAIL: WEBSITE:

NATIONAL FAMILY PLANNING BOARD 5 Sylvan Avenue Kingston 5 P.O. Box 287 TEL: 968-1627,968-1629,968-1631 EMAIL: WEBSITE:


NATIONAL HOUSING TRUST (NHT) 4 Park Boulevard Kingston 5 TEL: 929-6500-9 TOLL FREE: 1-888-225-648 EMAIL: WEBSITE:

SIR JOHN GOLDING REHAB CENTRE 7 Golding Avenue Kingston 2 TEL: 927-2504,977-1469 EMAIL: WEBSITE:

NATIONAL INSURANCE SCHEME (NIS) 18 Ripon Road Kingston 5 TEL: 929-7119 or 929-7177 WEBSITE:

SMALL BUSINESS ASSOCIATION OF JAMAICA (SBAJ) 2 Trafalgar Road Kingston 5 TEL: 978-0168, 927-7071 EMAIL:

The National Youth Service 6 Collins Green Avenue Kingston 5 TEL: 754-9816-8 WEBSITE:

SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION (SDC) Kingston & St. Andrew Parish Office 10 South Avenue Kingston 4 TEL: 948-0562, 948-2034

OFFICE OF THE CHILDREN’S REGISTRY (OCR) 12 Carlton Crescent Kingston 10 TOLL FREE: 1-888-776-8328

TAX ADMINISTRATION JAMAICA 1-3 King Street Kingston TEL: 922-7919 or 922-7357 FAX: 922-2876

PASSPORT, IMMIGRATION & CITIZENSHIP AGENCY (PICA) 25C Constant Spring Road Kingston 10 TEL: 754-4742, 754-5092-9


US EMBASSY 142 Old Hope Road Kingston 6 TEL: 702-6000 EMAIL: WEBSITE:

HEALTH SERVICES Bellevue Hospital 16 ½ Windward Road Kingston 2 Tel: 928-1830 Email: Website:

Hagley Park Health Centre 118 Hagley Park Road Kingston 11 TEL: 937-2758 Harbour View Health Centre Ft Nugent Drive Kingston 17 TEL: 938-6513

Bustamante Hospital for Children Arthur Wint Drive Kingston 5 TEL: 968-0300,922-3042,924-9473

King Weston Health Centre King Weston Lawrence Tavern TEL: 942-6120

Community Health & Psychiatry TEL: 927-2476

Lawrence Tavern Health Centre Lawrence Tavern TEL: 942-8523

Comprehensive Health Centre 55 Slipe Pen Road Kingston 5 TEL: 922-2095, 924-9473, 924-9012

Majestic Gardens Clinic TEL: 923-9162

Denham Town Health Centre TEL: 376-8417

Marverly/Drewsland Health Centre 9 Drews Avenue Kingston 20 TEL: 933-1325

Duhaney Park Health Centre 122a Baldwin Crescent Kingston 20 TEL: 933-3484,933-7897

Mavis Bank Health Centre Green Valley TEL: 942-7083

Edna Manley Health Centre 35 Grants Pen Road Kingston 8 TEL: 931-6377,755-0430

Maxfield Park Health Centre 87 Maxfield Avenue Kingston 10 TEL: 968-7585-6

Galilee Health Clinic 2a Dunoon Road Kingston 2 TEL: 928-8354

National Chest Clinic 36 ½ Barbican Road Kingston 6 TEL: 970-0655,970-1205 EMAIL:

Glen Vincent Memorial Clinic 3 Trevennion Park Road Kingston 5 TEL: 929-6510

National Health Fund 25 Dominica Drive Kingston 5 TEL: 906-1106 TOLL FREE: 1-888-643-2273 WEBSITE:


Norman Gardens Health Centre 11 Range Crescent Kingston 2 TEL: 930-2757

Seaview Gardens Health Centre Phase 2 Seaview Gardens Kingston 11 TEL: 901-2280

Olympic Gardens Health Centre Olympic Way Kingston 11 TEL: 923-7474

Stony Hill Health Centre Stony Hill TEL: 942-9677

Port Royal Health Department Port Royal Kingston 1 TEL: 967-8197 Red Hills Road Health Centre Red Hills Square TEL: 945 – 8469 Rollington Town Health Centre 37a Giltress Street Kingston 2 TEL: 928-1099


Sunrise Health Centre Red Hills Road TEL: 969-7310 Victoria Jubilee BCG Clinic TEL: 922-0210-9 Windward Road Health Centre 11 Paradise Street Kingston 16 TEL: 928-3333 ,930-1152,938-3910


Services for Urban Youth SERVICES FOR URBAN YOUTH

ISBN 978-976-610-949-3

Sponsored by

9 789766 109493

Services for Urban Youth  

Services for Urban Youth is a must have lifelong guide for young urban adults

Services for Urban Youth  

Services for Urban Youth is a must have lifelong guide for young urban adults