While the average American spends 47 hours a week at work, and the average European just 42, here in Dubai our working week can be more than 55 hours. Whilst the overwhelming majority of business leaders and HR professionals now recognise employees to be the greatest asset in any business, what we sometimes fail to recognise is both the negative impact on the business of an unhealthy workforce, days lost through absenteeism and increased healthcare costs. Of course, as the best employers recognise, it’s not just about the actual costs to the business, but the benefits of being able to retain staff who are not only fitter, healthier and more positive, recognising that you, as their employer value them enough to invest in their health and personal development. Here are a few facts and figures you may be interested in;
• 94% agreed that it lead to increased productivity • 84% said it lowered healthcare costs • 78% reported reduced absenteeism (The State of Worksite Wellness in America study, 2012) Actual workplace studies which were monitored by US Government healthcare professionals showed; Implementation of a Corporate Wellness Programme in the US brewing company, Coors, lead to an 18% decrease in employee absenteeism. Whilst Verizon brought in an annual saving of $565 per employee, or $24 million across the work force. Another study showed that;
In a 2012 study, business leaders surveyed showed overwhelming agreement having implemented employee wellness programmes;
Smokers generated 31% higher health insurance claims than non-smokers, while workers with unhealthy weights had 143% more hospital admissions than those with healthy weights.
• 96% said it had helped employees develop healthier lifestyles
(Partnerships for a Healthy Workforce – Wall Street Journal Report)
For every $1 dollar a business spends on Wellness Programmes, it saves $6. - Harvard University Research
While we know that a regular, well supervised exercise routine lead by a qualified fitness professional is the key to maintaining a healthy bodyweight, some of the numerous wider benefits include the ability to deal with stressful situations and this includes work-related stress. Of course, we want our employees to enjoy their work environment, and to bring the best of themselves to their jobs every day. Encouraging our employees to embrace fitness a lifestyle choice pays off in numerous ways. Here, Bob Doyle, Performance Coach, Management Consultant and contributor to ‘The Secret’, gives his top 10 reasons to encourage fitness in the workplace; 1. Fit employees are less likely to get sick. A person who is physically fit is generally more resistant to the “bug going around” than a person who is not fit. Reduced absenteeism and reduced health care expenditures are the result of a fit employee base.
2. Fit employees have more energy. One of the many benefits of regular exercise is increased and sustained energy throughout the day. This energy allows the employee to stay focused on the task at hand, bringing the best of themselves to each task. 3. Fit employees have more self- confidence. A fit and healthy individual tends to have a higher level of self- confidence, because they have proven to themselves that they can accomplish what it takes to obtain a level of physical fitness. This self-confidence empowers the employee to challenge themselves, and strive for higher levels of achievement in the workplace. 4. Fit employees inspire confidence. Any person who maintains a high fitness level tends to be a person in whom others have confidence. 5. Fit employees tend to take on more leadership roles. Because of the many positive benefits of a healthy lifestyle, a fit individual tends to make a good leader. 6. Fit employees set and achieve goals. Learning to stay true to your goals and see them through to completion is a skill that is naturally brought into the workplace. An employee with the proven ability to set aggressive goals, and then REALISE those goals, is a valuable asset to any organization. 7. Fit employees tend to have better attitudes. Fit employees generally “feel good”. They tend to have a physical and mental “balance” that results in a more positive attitude in the workplace.
8. Fit employees are less stressed. Regular exercise releases the physical AND emotional tensions that life brings our way, thus a fit employee tends to have lower overall stress levels than an employee who does not engage in regular exercise. 9. A fit employee base presents excellent team-building opportunities. Team activities like bootcamp or basketball are wonderful ways for employees to take their professional relationships to new levels, and discover new ways of working together. Obviously, employees that maintain a level of fitness are more likely to participate in these activities. 10. Encouraging fitness demonstrates a concern for employee’s well-being, and pays off! Employees NOTICE when an employer shows concern for the health and well-being of their employee base through a variety of wellness programs. Further, it has been shown that employee turnover is significantly lower among employees that take advantage of a wellness program implemented by their employer.
How can Hayemaker work with you as your Wellness partner to help benefit your workforce? At Hayemaker Gym Dubai we have recruited only the best fitness professionals from around the world to guide your employees safely to their fitness goals. Let OUR team work with YOUR team - Hayemaker Fitness Consultants and Personal Trainers have the highest level of qualifications and experience to coach, motivate and inspire. What you can expect as a Corporate Partner with Hayemaker; • Quarterly Wellness Events in your workplace or elsewhere, including health screening, nutritional seminars and other health and wellbeing presentations for all staff • Monthly team-building events or staff Bootcamps at the club or outdoors for all staff • As a member, your team will have unlimited access to all facilities at the club including all regular Group Exercise classes, parking, towel hire and bodycare products
In the UK in 2012, 27 million days were lost due to work-related illness which includes stress and injuries. The average period of sickness for stress or depression is 24 days - UK Health & Safety Executive
• An initial fitness and lifestyle consultation with health screening, fitness testing and a full equipment induction • A one to one PT session • A personalised programme • Quarterly progress reviews with a fitness test and new personalised workout programme • A dedicated Corporate Account Manager to liaise with you regularly • Regular updates and event invitations from Hayemaker • Preferential rates on both memberships and Personal Training What options can we provide for you? › Employer sponsored membership for Hayemaker at preferential corporate rates › Employer subsidised membership where a contribution towards the cost is made by both the employer and employee. › Employer sponsored membership where the initial cost is paid by the company and then recovered in part or in full from the employees’ salary Many companies choose to provide all three options, here’s an example; • A fully sponsored membership awarded as a staff benefit on the basis of rank/ grade within the company or as a form of staff recognition or performance incentive • A subsidised membership for other key team members or management team • An easy payment option through salary at preferred rates for the remainder of the workforce. If you haven’t yet visited Hayemaker Gym Dubai we’d love to welcome you to this amazing club. From the outset you’ll see
that there simply isn’t anything else in the region like it. • Breathtaking design from award winning French designer Cyril Mothe • Equipment from the exclusive Technogym Artis range • The very latest in exercise innovation including 3 hypoxic chambers for the ultimate in cardiovascular fitness gains • Luxurious changing facilities with steam room and cold plunge pool • Members wi-fi relaxation area • Extensive Cardio suite with the very latest equipment • Ladies only gym and workout area • Strength training and freeweights area by Pure Strength and Eleiko • Functional Training zone with Queenax frame • Boxing Ring • In-Club DJ • Members parking • Bench – our home grown, upscale deli and juice bar What are the next steps? Simply call Hayemaker Gym Dubai and we will arrange a meeting time with you. From there we can explore the various membership options and arrange a complimentary, no obligation, Wellness Event and team-building workout for your employees. At Hayemaker our focus is that every member is an individual, so we fully understand that all companies are different too. Let us work with you to tailor a package which suits the needs of your business and we’ll take the first steps together towards a happy healthy workforce.
800-HAYE (4293) 7th Floor, Tower 2, Boulevard Plaza Downtown Dubai, PO Box 128672, Dubai UAE