Issuu on Google+

4%

34

33

7

www.visitderby.co.uk

DARLEY PARK

32

Assembly Rooms/Tourist Information Centre

R TE

N W E D E R

S Map not to scale

T

LE G E

S O

’S ER D E T YAR P . ST RCH U CH

6

PRIDE PARK FOOTBALL STADIUM (approx. 1.5 miles)

%4 %2

3

Joseph Wright birthplace memorial

Derby Cathedral Centre

7

3

42 %%

4

! /$ 2 2 . /. 4 4/ 33 !! -33 //

The memorial pillar also depicts an Orrery which is featured in one of Wright’s most famous works. Wright was fascinated by science and the Orrery was a popular instrument of the time studying the movement of the planets. A fully working example of this is displayed in the Derby Museum and Art Gallery in the Joseph Wright room.

$

Site of Joseph Wright’s birthplace

8

34 Iron Gate marks the location of where Joseph Wright’s birthplace building once stood.

The Standing Order

9

Originally a bank, The Standing Order was designed by J A Chatwin and built in 1880. Today’s public house displays a gallery of paintings of famous figureheads from this time. Don’t forget to look upward to admire the vast ornate ceiling of this imposing and very grand structure.

24 Iron Gate

11

Officially opened as the Cathedral Centre by Queen Elizabeth II in November 2003, the Derby Cathedral Centre is home to a well-stocked gift shop, coffee shop and garden planted to represent a journey through the life of Jesus. A basement display area hosts a variety of ever-changing art exhibitions as well as treasures from Derby Cathedral and the surrounding parishes.

The celebrated artist, Joseph Wright was born in Derby in 1734. Wright was an artist of the Royal Academy. The marble pillar memorial was erected in 1992. This is situated on the site of his birthplace. The original building no longer exists.

10 An early 18th century house which was once the home of horologer, scientist and philosopher, John Whitehurst FRS (1713 – 1788). In 1855, the roof was removed and the present glass structure substituted to make a studio for Richard Keene (1825 – 1894) Derby’s pioneer Victorian photographer.

Derby Cathedral/Joseph Wright’s tombstone

Thomas Bass statue

Central Library

16

This magnificent Grade II listed building was funded by Michael Thomas Bass MP for Derby 1847 – 1883. This was opened in 1878 as a free Museum & Library. Part of the same building is home to the Derby Museum and Art Gallery.

12

The Bell

17

This is the last coaching Inn to survive in Derby. Built in 1680, it was extended with an ornate ballroom in 1776 and acquired its timber façade in 1929.

Guildhall Theatre

13

18

The existing Guildhall Theatre has been a distinctive landmark for Derby since 1842 after the original building was destroyed by fire in 1841. Local Derby man, Henry Duesbury designed the structure to include a 103 ft high clock tower which rings out regular reminders of the time every 15 minutes. Home to a small yet beautiful theatre with magnificent plaster ceiling.

Formerly the Shire Hall but converted into the city’s Magistrates Court in 2003. A wonderful architectural masterpiece emanating the elegance of the Georgian era with beautiful yet imposing wood panelling, a spectacular staircase and fine stone façade.

Derby Museum and Art Gallery featuring the Joseph Wright collection

15

A statue of Michael Thomas Bass MP for Derby 1847 – 1883 is situated next to the Derby Museum and Library. He funded the construction.

The Cathedral’s tower dominates Derby’s skyline for miles around and is the second tallest perpendicular church tower in England (second to the Boston Stump). The light and airy interior always amazes new visitors as the atmosphere is so different to that of older churches. See the Baroque nave designed by James Gibbs and lavish chancel screen created by Robert Bakewell. Joseph Wright’s tombstone, an 18th century reuse of a medieval vault marker, can also be viewed inside the Cathedral. A very humble monument compared to its neighbouring ornate tomb for Bess of Hardwick!

Magistrates Court

This move resulted in the Battle of Culloden in Scotland on 6 April 1746 where the government troops treated the Highlanders very harshly by burning their homes, slaughtering cattle and deporting thousands of Scots to America, Canada and the West Indies.

The Silk Mill, Derby’s Museum of Industry and History

D

0 4

Design > Saxon Graphics > 01332 361370

R

E

A magnificent life-size statue set up high upon a stone plinth. Glossop born sculptor, Anthony Stones created the work which was unveiled in December 1995. This landmark signifies Bonnie Prince Charlie’s fateful return to Scotland in 1745. He arrived in Derby on 4 December enroute to London to over-throw the King. It was here whilst discussing tactics, that he realised that there were insufficient troops to carry out the task, so decided to retreat.

R



E

W

2

O

3

Iron Gate was originally the same width as Sadler Gate, and followed the course of prehistoric trackway which long pre-dated the founding of the city. It was widened in 1866 – 1867 by the demolition of the east side.

ET

4

M

6

C T OV

T.

T

EE

E

4

Iron Gate

VI

I AT RI C

TS EAE TRRI

Bonnie Prince Charlie Statue

Crown Court & County Courts

TH

15 HH E 16 EW WA R A RD W DW ICK ICK

RR EA

BBE

L AAL

R TEE

TRR

SE LT B

. STTT

GE AN T CH EE EX STR

%

Open Times: Monday to Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm Saturday 9.30am – 5pm Sundays and Bank Holidays 10.30am – 2.30pm Closed from 1pm Christmas Eve until 2 January Plus: 24 hour touch-screen information service available to help with enquiries out of office hours.

IV

ET

+

Your one-stop shop for: • Accommodation bookings • General information and help • City walking tours • Theatre, concert and events tickets • Great selection of local souvenirs and postcards

18

ET

14

NT

RE

19

K

2

Once a single building used as a coaching inn, it was built by Alderman Samuel Heathcote in 1693. Heathcote was obliged by the Corporation to take a 1000 year lease on 62 feet of frontage which had been erected encroaching on the public thoroughfare. The original inn closed in 1853.

2

E

Jorrocks Bar and Foulds 5 Music Shop

Visit our friendly Tourist Information Centre

3

17

E RW

ST

5

ET

R

TE

M

K AR

A

%

!

Another magnificent building created by the same mason who built Franceys’s House. Dating back to the 18th century, it was commandeered as the residence of Sir John Gordon of Glenbucket during Bonnie Prince Charlie’s visit on 4 – 6 December 1745. In the 19th century, it was the offices of Bemrose the printers, now the Bemrose Corporation Plc, based on both sides of the Atlantic.

25

All information correct at time of going to print. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of this information contained within this leaflet, Derby City Council cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions which may have occurred. Derby Tourism Unit – June 2007.

TH

GA

E

N

E

M

'

-

36 The curved waterfall feature was PRIDE PARK This forms the setting built in 1995. FOOTBALL STADIUM for the annual well dressing display (approx. 1.5 miles) each June as well as a place to relax and unwind during a busy shopping day.

Lloyd’s Bank 4

Contact Us: Derby Tourist Information Centre Assembly Rooms, Market Place, Derby DE1 3AH Tel: 01332 255802 Minicom: 01332 255803 Email: tourism@derby.gov.uk Web: www.visitderby.co.uk

IAR

DL

ER

T GA

AC

DE

N

-APNOTTOSCALE

3

4

E SA

FR

PL

1

R

$

.

Waterfall feature

L O N DO N R O AD

5

O

2

,%

/

26

ROYAL CROWN DERBY (approx 0.5 miles)

N

SM CK D BLA YAR

C

2

#

/

%

-

(

Step Out 24 & Discover!

LA

1

D

%

4

GE AN ET CH RE EX ST

4(

23

LD

TT

%%3%%

27

%

7

’S ITH

E

!, !

BO

6

AN

,""

9

TR

,2 4 ! %%2

10

Built in 1695 for Alderman William Franceys replacing a house originally built by his Uncle in 1640. Alderman Henry Franceys was educated at Derby School and went on to Emmanuel College, Cambridge. He followed his father’s business and became an important apothecary (chemist) in the town.

44

2 4

S

4

/ 2 )4! # # 46/)

24 42

"4 %3

M

11

TH

4 %34 2!% ) 4 32

. 7 % % 2 $ 2

4

28

2

.

.

’S

A

8

This present-day venue replaced the 17th century Newcastle House and former Assembly Rooms building that was originally built in 1763. The Restoration ceiling from Newcastle House has been incorporated in the Darwin Suite foyer, so remember to look up next time you visit! The frontage of the former Assembly Rooms 3 can be found at the Crich Tramway Village in Derbyshire.

Franceys’s House

ST

Y AR

G

12

TE

1

Please see information provided on the Joseph Wright Walk.

R

TE

%

%%

2

13

ST

4

GA

42

)6

3

30

RY

R

RE

,,

35

29

JU

A

ED

Assembly Rooms/Tourist Information Centre

AD

ON

5

3

The Tourist Information Centre is situated in part of the Assembly Rooms complex – a great entertainment venue staging a wide range of concerts, shows and exhibitions throughout the year. The building was constructed in 4 %% 7 in the 1970s. 4 2 1977 and won an architectural award

C

TH

AL

RO

IR

&

!2

27

#%

! 0,

1

ST

-

4 +%

$%

DARLEY PARK

LL

1

3

L STREET

FUL

Where all good walks should start! Remember to call into the Tourist Information Centre and get advice from the knowledgable staff. More detailed information about the venues featured on. the walks can also be obtained from here.

2

4 %.

The Silk Mill – Derby’s Museum of Industry and History – is one of the famous landmarks within the 15 mile stretch of the River reaching up into Derbyshire which gained World Heritage Site status in December 2001.

3

31

D

FU

R W

$

3/

The River Derwent offers a relaxing contrast to the city’s busy street scene. Not only a wonderful nature spot, but also the start of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site.

SO

2

R I V E R S I D E WA L K

This walk includes all the venues that are associated with the artist, Joseph Wright of Derby (1734 – 1797). Wright initially trained as a portrait painter, but it was his unusual choice of scientific subjects and dramatic “candlelight� paintings that made his name. One of his most famous pictures, “A Philosopher Lecturing on the Orrery�, can be seen at Derby Museum and Art Gallery.

2

Derby Walks

Joseph Wright Walk

14

Home to the world’s largest public collection of Joseph Wright paintings. A fascinating museum covering all the important aspects of Derby’s history, culture and environment including displays featuring local regiments, archaeology, Derby porcelain and natural history. Admission free.

The War Memorial

This unique city landmark forms part of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site – a 15 mile stretch of the Derwent Valley between Derby and Matlock Bath. This attraction is housed on the site of the Lombe Brothers’ Silk Mill, England’s first modern factory and a major landmark of the Industrial Revolution. Nowadays, a great showcase for Rolls-Royce aeroengines and exhibits from the railway industry. Admission free.

Riverside Walk

4

Keep reminding yourself that you’re in a city! Difficult to believe whilst taking a gentle stroll along the peaceful embankment of the River Derwent. Keep a look out for the nesting wildlife too! The Market Place has been known to have families of ducks waddling across the paving slabs!

5

The Council House

Headquarters of Derby City Council and home to the city’s collection of treasures in the Mayor’s Parlour. Tours can be booked to discover a wealth of history and heritage about the Derby. Also a popular venue for weddings. For bookings, please telephone 01332 293111. This horse-shoe shaped building was requisitioned by the RAF in 1942. It was not handed back to the City Council until April 1946 and was opened by Princess Elizabeth and her husband, Prince Philip in 1949.

Pride Park Football Stadium

6

This magnificent 34,000 seater football stadium was officially opened on 18 July 1997 by Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip. This is the only football stadium to have been opened by Her Majesty. Home to Derby County Football Club, fondly referred to as ‘The Rams’, the stadium boasts premier league quality facilities. Tours can be booked to see behind the scenes. Everything from the Director’s board-room to the Police cells! Telephone 0870 4441884 to book a tour.

19

This memorial was originally erected to commemorate those from Derby who died during the first World War. Additional plaques have been added over the years to honour victims of the second World War and more recent conflicts. It was designed by C A Thompson and the sculptor was A G Walker ARA, both local men. The memorial was unveiled on 11 November 1924 by Alderman Oswald Ling who inaugurated the project as Mayor in 1922.

3

Approximate Distance 1.5 km / 1 mile 1.3 km / 0.8 miles (excluding Pride Park Stadium)


Derby Cathedral Centre

Derby Cathedral

2

L STREET FUL

ET

RE

ST

DL

4

ER

G

E AT

M

3

22

PS

ID

2

H

C

R

LE

.

Map not to scale

O

D G E

U TR RZ E ON E T

S

M

C

E

E

GE AN T CH EE EX STR

K

S

W

R A OD RR N ON T TO SS AA MM SS OO

B

25

21

Now home to the relocated 15th century house that was originally discovered in the Market Place when the present Assembly Rooms building was being constructed. The yard is named after the Blacksmith who operated there in the early part of the 20th century.

D

20

An adjoining building to the Central Library, the Derby Museum and Art Gallery is home to a stunning collection of paintings by Joseph Wright of Derby (1734 – 1797). Here, you can see a fully operational orrery in the centre of the Joseph Wright Gallery. This relates to Wright’s most famous work of art which celebrates his fascination with the planets. Additional displays include archaeology, natural history, Derby porcelain, military history and even an Egyptian mummy. Admission free.

Blacksmith’s Yard

ET

Derby Museum and Art Gallery

ROYAL CROWN DERBY (approx 0.5 miles)

The Old Tudor 24 Grammar School

This quaint, timberframed hall – formerly the old Tudor Grammar School is now home to a ladies hairdressig salon. Former famous pupils include Joseph Wright and John Flamstead, the first Astronomer Royal.

Guildhall Theatre

Royal Crown Derby

25

Home to one of the city’s most famous treasures – Royal Crown Derby china. A product popular all over the world and famed for its lavish gold decoration and rich colours. A museum, demonstration studio, shop and restaurant are open 7 days a week and mid week factory tours can be booked here. Telephone: 01332 712800

29

The existing Guildhall Theatre has been a distinctive landmark for Derby since 1842 after the original building was destroyed by fire in 1841. Local Derby man, Henry Duesbury designed the structure to include a 103 ft high clock tower which rings out regular reminders of the time every 15 minutes. Home to a small yet beautiful theatre with magnificent plaster ceiling.

Royal Oak House

35 Headquarters of Derby City Council and home to the city’s collection of treasures in the Mayor’s Parlour. Tours can be booked to discover wealth of history and heritage about the Derby. Also a popular venue for weddings. For bookings, please telephone 01332 293111

PRIDE PARK FOOTBALL STADIUM (approx. 1.5 miles)

THE SPOT

RE

A magnificent decorative building, now home to The Haus restaurant. Built in 1611, but modified in 1855 to allow access for Becket Street. Lived in by John Gisborne whose fourth son was Physician in Ordinary to King George III and President of the Royal College of Physicians.

34

One of 6 remaining medieval bridge chapels in the UK. Originally dating back to the 15th century, this little stone chapel has regular services which are organised by Derby Cathedral. Please telephone in advance to organise a visit outside of service times. Open Tuesday and Saturday afternoons, May to September.

The Council House

36

ST

19

24

L O NDON RO A D

S

ST. PETER’S CHURCHYARD

26

’ ER ET .P ST

S EC TR K E ET E T

T 23 19

St. Mary’s Bridge Chapel

Telephone: 01332 341201.

E

Cannonball shots can still be seen on the north west side of the tower – almost certainly fired by Sir John Gell’s Parliamentary Army that entered Derby on 31 October 1642.

A

The original church was founded around AD 700 and was dedicated to the memory of St Werbergha, granddaughter of the great Mercian King Penda. Nothing remains of the original construction, but the present-day church was completed in 1894 in 15th century gothic style by Sir Arthur Bloomfield.

IC

TVO VIC

27

M

St. Werburgh’s Church 16

T EST RAE SRTI O A R IT

N

34 Iron Gate marks the location of where Joseph Wright’s birthplace building once stood.

AAL

ET

Crown Court & County Courts

R

Built by the local architect, Joseph Pickford in 1769, this elegant Georgian town house was Pickford’s own home. It is now a museum featuring fully furnished rooms from Georgian times as well as changing displays of costume and textiles. Admission free.

S

BT ES

A EE LBB

C

15

E

18 WW A A RR D DW WIICCK K

TT. EESEE RT TR

RLR T

TH

7

17

D

Jacobean House

14

Built in 1876 by Andrew Handyside, this beautiful ornate cast iron bridge was created for the extension of the Great Northern Railway. The line closed in 1968.

E

AN

Site of Joseph Wright birthplace

E

35

30

28

TR

HE

13 Formerly the Shire Hall but converted into the city’s Magistrates Court in 2003. A wonderful architectural masterpiece emanating the elegance of the Georgian era with beautiful yet imposing wood panelling, a spectacular staircase and fine stone façade.

Pickford’s House Museum

20

T

29

S

Magistrates Court

16

KE

E

AC

TH

12

TH

AR

PL

R

T

RE

T

E

S S T TA F RE FO ET RD

5

SA

TE

This is Derby’s oldest public house. A timber framed building of the 17th century, first licensed in 1530. Remember to take a look at the Silk Mill pub’s mural from this angle down Full Street 33 .

Friar Gate Bridge

The memorial pillar also depicts an Orrery which is featured in one of Wright’s most famous works. Wright was fascinated by science and the Orrery was a popular instrument of the time studying the movement of the planets. A fully working example of this is displayed in the Derby Museum and Art Gallery in the Joseph Wright room.

Originally a bank, The Standing Order was designed by J A Chatwin and built in 1880. Today’s public house displays a gallery of paintings of famous figureheads from this time. Don’t forget to look upward to admire the vast ornate ceiling of this imposing and very grand structure.

E

6

The celebrated artist, Joseph Wright was born in Derby in 1734. Wright was an artist of the Royal Academy. The marble pillar memorial was erected in 1992. This is situated on the site of his birthplace. The original building no longer exists.

8

GA

N

TTH

Once a single building used as a coaching inn, it was built by Alderman Samuel Heathcote in 1693. Heathcote was obliged by the Corporation to take a 1000 year lease on 62 feet of frontage which had been erected encroaching on the public thoroughfare. The original inn closed in 1853.

The Standing Order

IAR

LA

MIT KS D C A BL YAR 21

DE

N WE

ST

N W E D E R

FR

LD

R

BO

1

6

H’S

This pub provides the canvas for a unique colourful mural, so make sure you view this on the left hand side of the building! This was painted by the Derby Community Arts Project in the mid 1980s and depicts the Silk Trades Lock Out of 1833 – the first ever industrial strike action to fight for better wages and work conditions.

E

7

Ye Olde Dolphin

Jorrocks Bar and Foulds Music Shop 5

Joseph Wright birthplace memorial

8

O

Another magnificent building created by the same mason who built Franceys’s House. Dating back to the 18th century, it was commandeered as the residence of Sir John Gordon of Glenbucket during Bonnie Prince Charlie’s visit on 4 – 6 December 1745. In the 19th century, it was the offices of Bemrose the printers, now the Bemrose Corporation Plc, based on both sides of the Atlantic.

9

33

N

IV

4

M

.

14

Lloyd’s Bank

.

10

31

ET

ST

ST

RE

13

E

TE

TE

RY

’S

AT

11

GA

JU

Y AR

G

ST

RD

LL

W

15 GA

H

32

This unique city landmark forms part of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site – a 15 mile stretch of the Derwent Valley between Derby and Matlock Bath. This attraction is housed on the site of the Lombe Brothers’ Derby Silk Mill, England’s first modern factory and a major landmark of the Industrial Revolution. Nowadays, a great showcase for the history of the City’s industries and development, including Rolls-Royce aero engines and exhibits from the railway industry. Admission free.

The Silk Mill Pub

R

ON

RO

AT

AD

FU

OW

C

AL

32

IR

IAR

LL

Opened in 1866, the Market Hall is a Victorian architectural masterpiece, so remember to look upward to admire the grandeur of the building. The cost of construction in those days was £29,000! This busy market is open from Monday – Saturday, 9am – 5.30pm.

DARLEY PARK

.

FR

WI

28

34

12

A magnificent life-size statue set up high upon a stone plinth. Glossop born sculptor, Anthony Stones created the work which was unveiled in December 1995. This landmark signifies Bonnie Prince Charlie’s fateful return to Scotland in 1745. He arrived in Derby on 4 December en-route to London to over-throw the King. It was here whilst discussing tactics, that he realised that there were insufficient troops to carry out the task, so decided to retreat.

The Silk Mill, Derby’s Museum of Industry and History

D

ST

The curved waterfall feature was built in 1995. This forms the setting for the annual well dressing display each June as well as a place to relax and unwind during a busy shopping day.

R ED

RO

33

31

N

3

A bold stone structure created by developers as a gift to the city in 1995. It was unveiled by the then Mayor of Derby, Councillor John McGiven.

Market Hall R

Bonnie Prince Charlie Statue

This move resulted in the Battle of Culloden in Scotland on 6 April 1746 where the government troops treated the Highlanders very harshly by burning their homes, slaughtering cattle and deporting thousands of Scots to America, Canada and the West Indies.

27

Derby Ram Statue

EE

Waterfall feature

11

QU

Built in 1695 for Alderman William Franceys replacing a house originally built by his Uncle in 1640. Alderman Henry Franceys was educated at Derby School and went on to Emmanuel College, Cambridge. He followed his father’s business and became an important apothecary (chemist) in the town.

This is the oldest church building in Derby – founded in 1042 and mentioned in the Domesday Book. During the Black Death in 1349, both the vicar and his chaplain lost their lives to the disease. In fact, so many died in St. Peter’s Parish that they had to bury bodies vertically in the churchyard.

26

Built for the Nottingham based chemists at the beginning of the 20th century. The top of the building displays statues of important Derby people who have influenced progress within the city – Florence Nightingale, John Lombe (co-founder of the Derby Silk Mill), Jedidiah Strutt (cotton mill owner) and William Hutton.

23

St. Peter’s Church

This beautiful Gothic building was built in 1879 by RK Freeman and funded by Michael Thomas Bass MP. Home to the Central Library, the interior still displays the original wrought iron staircase and frescoed gallery.

The Cathedral’s tower dominates Derby’s skyline for miles around and is the second tallest perpendicular church tower in England (second to the Boston Stump). The light and airy interior always amazes new visitors as the atmosphere is so different to that of older churches. See the Baroque nave designed by James Gibbs and lavish chancel screen created by Robert Bakewell. Joseph Wright’s tombstone, an 18th century reuse of a medieval vault marker, can also be viewed inside the Cathedral. A very humble monument compared to its neighbouring ornate tomb for Bess of Hardwick! FO

Franceys’s House

18

Central Library

Officially opened as the Cathedral Centre by Queen Elizabeth II in November 2003, the Derby Cathedral Centre is home to a well-stocked gift shop, coffee shop and garden planted to represent a journey through the life of Jesus. A basement display area hosts a variety of ever-changing art exhibitions as well as treasures from Derby Cathedral and the surrounding parishes.

This present-day building replaces the 17th century Newcastle House and the original Assembly Rooms. The façade of the original Assembly Rooms building has been carefully relocated to the Crich Tramway Village approximately 20 miles away in Derbyshire. You can still see one of the original ornate plaster ceilings in the existing venue.

This is the last coaching Inn to survive in Derby. Built in 1680, it was extended with an ornate ballroom in 1776 and acquired its timber façade in 1929. A meeting was held here in 1884 by the Derby Midland Cricket Club. It was during this meeting that the members elected to form their own football team – the evolution of Derby County!

A statue of Michael Thomas Bass MP for Derby 1847 – 1883 is situated next to the Derby Museum and Library. He funded the construction of this fine gothic building.

10

The former Boots Building

R

The Assembly Rooms complex is an award winning architectural design by Casson and Conder. A varied and entertaining range of concerts, musicals and pantomimes are on-going at this entertainment venue, in addition to the CAMRA Beer Festivals which are hosted here every February and July. Also home to the Tourist Information Centre where you can receive all the information you require to make your visit to Derby complete.

An early 18th century house which was once the home of horologer, scientist and philosopher, John Whitehurst FRS (1713 – 1788). In 1855, the roof was removed and the present glass structure substituted to make a studio for Richard Keene (1825 – 1894) Derby’s pioneer Victorian photographer.

22

The Bell

TE

1

17

Michael Thomas Bass statue

EA

Assembly Rooms/Tourist Information Centre

9

W

24 Iron Gate

SO

The City Circuit

30

Formerly the Royal Oak pub, this beautiful building was completed in 1890. Plans are in place to house the city’s Register Office here.

This horse-shoe shaped building was constructed in 1942 only to be immediately occupied by the RAF. It was not handed back to the City Council until April 1946 and was opened by Princess Elizabeth and her husband, Prince Philip in 1949.

Pride Park Football Stadium

36

This magnificent 34,000 seater football stadium was officially opened on 18 July 1997 by Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip. This is the only football stadium to have been opened by Her Majesty. Home to Derby County Football Club, fondly referred to as ‘The Rams’, the stadium boasts premier league quality facilities. Tours can be booked to see behind the scenes. Everything from the Director’s board-room to the Police cells! Telephone 0870 4441884 to book a tour.

Approximate Distance 4.5 km / 3 miles (excluding Pride Park Stadium and Royal Crown Derby)


Derby Walks