THE INCURABLE OPTIMIST’S GLASS-HALF-FULL
VOL. 01 NO. 19 WWW. FACEBOOK.COM/ DAWNPARKER
that will lead you to a wonderful
DAWN PARKER SHARES HOW MEDIA SHAPED HER LIFE
2 BLA BLA BLA Exero 01, 5555
BRINGING ME HOME
MEDIA’S ROOT REMINDERS
1. BLONDIE by Dean Young and John Marshall Ever y Sunday af ter church, Dad and I would cuddle in his blue, weathered recliner and read the comic sec tion o f t h e S u n d a y p a p e r. D a d w a s a l w a y s d r a w n t o B l o n d i e , f i n d i n g D a g w o o d (t h e m a i n c h a r a c t e r) t o b e m o s t r e l a ta b l e t o h i s e v e r y d a y d u t i e s a s a h u s b a n d a n d f a t h e r. This car toon impac ted my life by imprinting a memor y i n t o m y m i n d o f m y d a d t h a t I w i l l a l w a y s r e m e m b e r, e v e n when he is gone. This strip of color ful images and catchy dialogue also reminds me of what a good family I have, and how my parents took time during my childhood to not only parent me, but love me.
This love poem connects me with a 2. person very dear to my past. Merle Brake
was my neighbor, mentor, and best friend. She passed away January of 2011 at the age of 99. Merle had the ability to understand and listen like no other person. Her cheerful disposition filled any room she entered while a lived life allowed her to provide sage advice. She warmed my soul with every encouter and made better person of me. She was my best friend for 18 years. Merle reached into my life, and touched my heart more than anyone will ever know. Nobody, not even the rain, had such small hands.
Exero 01, 5555 BLA BLA BLA 3
3. THE KING JAMES BIBLE The KJV Bible is a book widely known, and for me, sincerely accepted.
The bible reminds me of who I am, where I came from, and who I should strive to be. I know I am blessed, and I am protected from the evils of the world.
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not see.” Hebrews 11:1
I fall short of the word daily. I sin and I fail. I was raised in the The Bible was clutched by their hearts, the words But the beauty of pews of a Baptist the scripture bound printed in their souls. by leather gives me church, listening to my dad preach the gospel When I was seven years old, I accepted their belief strength to wake and my mom singing as my own. I accepted Jesus as my savior, and the up and try again, because I am loved bible as my guide to living the Christian way. traditional hyms. unconditionally.
somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond any experience, your eyes have their silence: in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me, or which i cannot touch because they are too near.
Somewhere I have never traveled, gladly beyond
your slightest look will easily unclose me though i have closed myself as fingers, you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens (touching skilfully, mysteriously) her first rose or if your wish be to close me, i and my life will shut very beautifully, suddenly, as when the heart of this flower imagines the snow carefully everwhere descending; the power of your intense fragility: whose texture compels me with the color of its countries, rendering death and forever with each breathing
by E. E. Cummings
(i do not know what it is about you that closes and opens; only something in me understands the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses) nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands
4 BLA BLA BLA Exero 01, 5555
5. The House That Built Me by. Miranda Lambert I know they say you cant go home again. I just had to come back one last time. Ma'am I know you don't know me from Adam. But these handprints on the front steps are mine. And up those stairs, in that little back bedroom is where I did my homework and I learned to play guitar. And I bet you didn't know under that live oak my favorite dog is buried in the yard. Leaving home was a moment in my I thought if I could touch this place or feel it this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out here its like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself if I could just come in I swear I'll leave. Won't take nothing but a memory from the house that built me. Mama cut out pictures of houses for years. From 'Better Homes and Garden' magazines. Plans were drawn, concrete poured, and nail by nail and board by board Daddy gave life to mama's dream. I thought if I could touch this place or feel it this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out here its like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself. If I could just come in I swear I'll leave. Won't take nothing but a memory from the house that built me.
life I always dreamed about. But now that I am gone, and moving forward with the rest of my journey, I have found the dream to be more of a harsh reality. Without the constant guidance of those who raised me, I make my own life decisions and face the outcomes of my choices. When I hear this song, I think of my home and the comfort of those old walls. From the oak tree to the little back bedroom, I relate to every word. I think Miranda had me in mind when she wrote it. Everytime I go home, I feel rejuvenated. I use my time there to find my roots and regain sanity from my busy life style under the roof that protected me.
You leave home, you move on and you do the best you can. I got lost in this whole world and forgot who I am. I thought if I could touch this place or feel it this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out here its like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself. If I could walk around I swear I'll leave. Won't take nothing but a memory from the house that built me.
6. THE GREAT GATSBY Oh, Gatsby. A lesson from literature everyone should learn. “The Great Gatsby” put a bow around my finger, urging me to live life for more than the goal of monetary success. Gatsby has all the riches and all the prestige, but no sincere friendships. This book reminded me to step away from the fast lane sometimes, because money can’t buy love, nor can time be relived.
Exero 01, 5555 BLA BLA BLA 5
MEDIA MAKES ME BETTER
-Grandmother Willow 7. Pocahontas
I carried this VHS around as a child as if the movie was my best friend. Pocahontas captivated me and inspired me. She embodies many traits I wish to have as a woman myself. She is strong and indpendent. She stands firm in her beliefs, fights for what she wants, and most importantly, she follows her heart. Pocahontas taught me to listen to my heart, and the rest will follow.
6 BLA BLA BLA Exero 01, 5555
Exero 01, 5555 BLA BLA BLA 7
7. Invisible Children
nvisible Children is a non-profit organization which uses media to change the world. By making documentaries and sharing them around the world about war affected children in Uganda, the organization not only creates awareness
but gains funding to develop aid, such as rebuilding schools, in Uganda, where war has overcome peace. or a long time, I have aspired to travel to Africa. Invisible Children played a large part in forming this dream. I do not want to only visit Africa, but I want to help Africa. Invisible Children proved to me that I can do what I am passionate about for the things that I am passionate for.
“BE THE CHANGE
YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD” 8. Pinterest is not only addicting, but it is captivating. Everything I love, I can find on here. I love -GANDHI
planning events and I love dreaming of the future. I love clothes and I love crafts. I find this website to be a book of images which can best describe who I am and who I want to be.
9. The program that started it all. In 10th grade, I took a Web Design class with a heavy focus in
Photoshop. From the day I clicked on that icon, I was hooked forevermore. I took as many digital media classes as possible in high school, and now my major revolves around such elements. I applaud Adobe for creating my future.
8â€ƒ BLA BLA BLAâ€ƒ Exero 01, 5555
10. National Lampoon Christmas Vacation
at a glance
As soon as the Christmas tree goes up, Christmas Vacation comes out. Every Christmas, my family begins watching this movie on December 1, and seems to religiously replay until the holiday ends. This movie defines my family and our Christmas traditions. Even Uncle Eddy comes around during the month of December. Crazy times and crazy love are the two things I can be certain to receive from my family, and see in this movie. My family are the ultimate definition of who I am. I love them unconditionally and I am forever grateful God has placed them in my life. Sparky and his gang combine with Christmas to epitomize the Parker household (give or take a few scenes). When I am in my final season, weathered and frail, I know I can replay this movie and instantly be taken back to all of those laughs, and dysfunctional moments, I shared with my unperfect, yet perfect
for me, family.