Page 1

M

AJOR SITES GROUP Minutes of meeting –27th May 2014 – The Naval Volunteer, King Street

Present Chris Carley (CC) Dave Cave (DC) John Frenkel (Chair)(JF) Daniel Kimberly (DK)

Stephen Macfarlane (SMcF) John Payne (JP) Alan Morris (AM) Steve Wickham (SW)

Apologies

Simon Birch, Heather Leeson, James Smith

Minutes of the meeting of 4th The chair had included amendments to the minutes before March 2014 the meeting. 7.00 pm - Tuesday 15th July 2014.

Date of next meetings

Summary of current non-active campaigning Topics - current non-active campaigning Bristol Central Library – planning application pending Central Area Plan – adjourned public examination pending Sites Allocation and Development management plan - adjourned public examination pending Temple Meads ld Station – consultation pending 33 – 49 Victoria Street - 14/01424/F – planning decision pending Westmoreland House – planning application pending ITEMS DISCUSSED Topic

Discussion

Ashton Park Mansion

SMcf reported that all of the Council officers involved with this project have left their employment. Restoration of the mansion depends on enabling development probably in Bower Ashton. Until there is progress the item will not appear in the agenda.

Bristol University – Fry Building 14/01908/LA

The Group noted that the planning application responded to the criticisms of the treatment of the public space to the north of the building following the pre-app consultation. The Society will support this application.

13-19 Dean Street St. Pauls 14/01593/F

The Group supported the response to this planning application, which was attached to the agenda. DK will post a summary of the response on the Society’s website.

Action

DK

1


Greyfriars Place 14/01426/F 14/02013/F

JF reported that he the Society had responded to support these planning applications.

St. Mary’s (former Nuffield) Hospital

JF reported that at the AGM a member who lives in Berkeley Place asked the Society to support to oppose this planning application. The Group’s view was that the Society should respond to the impact of a planning application on the public realm but should only give advice to individual objectors if asked to do so.

Castle Park bridge

JF reported that he, SB and AM had attended the public presentation of the bridge proposals. By email, the Group approved the pre-app response, which was attached to the agenda. JF reported a telephone conversation with Alison Straw. Both the Council and the developer want the a bridge at this site. The Council has not considered the pre-app proposal. The Council will publish a public consultation document in June. JF will copy the Society’s response to Fraser Bridgeford, Mary Bannerman and Roger Mortimer to ask whether they support the Society’s proposal to abandon the bridge and reuse of the section 106 funds on the improvement of Castle Park.

City Hall remodelling

The Group noted that the Society had not responded to the final form of the proposed changes. The Society will support the proposals.

JF

St Matthias Campus The Group approved DC's pre-app response to this proposal by College Road Barratt Homes to develop the whole of the campus site. DC will Fishponds send a copy to the Council and write an entry on the response for the Society’s website. Site ND7 Avon Street

DC

JF reported that he JS and SW attended the public presentation of a mixed residential and retail site. By email, the Group approved the pre-app response, which was attached to the agenda.

TRANSPORT SUB-GROUP Management of transport business

This matter will be considered by the Executive Committee.

SB

Metrobus Northern Fringes Hengrove 14/01187/FB and the Baldwin Street link

JF reported an encouraging conversation with Alistair Cox. There has been discussion between Peter Mann and Andy Gibbins about improving the Bedminster Parade East Street part of the JF route. JF will copy the response to Ben Barker and Love Windmill Hill to encourage them to obtain the support of their local councillors.

Bristol Promenades Project

SW and AM reported that there has been no further meeting of the consultation group. They will report to the next meeting.

Wapping Wharf -

The Group noted that there will be a public presentation of the proposed design for the remainder of the site on Thursday 5th June between 2.30 – 3.30pm. JF said that Mark Osborne of Alec French and Partners has said that he would produce a PDF of the proposal, which JF will distribute.

AM SW

2


PLANNING POLICY SUB-GROUP College Green Conservation Area

JF will distribute the draft Conservation Area Character Appraisal

Any other business

Website SW The home page sets out the matters of current interest. It is important to keep this page fresh and up to date. JF has recently written a number of brief pieces. DC will include an item for St. Mattias Campus and DK will summarise the Society’s response to the Dean Street proposals. The page has a comments button. AM monitors responses. As a general rule the Society will not respond to comments. John Wesley’s New Room - 14/01026/F PAG considered this planning application. The Society will not respond. The Group noted that the proposal has the support of the Council and English Heritage and that the Georgian Group did not intend to comment. 25 Redcliffe Street The Society has been notified of a pre application enquiry 14/02305 - 25 Redcliffe Street - demolish majority of buildings, erect residential units over commercial use, parking and associated uses at ground level. Existing facade of 14 St Thomas Street to be retained subject to stability checks. JF will circulate further information when it is received. Trenchard Street – this matter is no proceeding quickly. Nat Roberton has been replaced was the designer. The Council will not receive the first instalment of the section 106 payment until the autumn. There is a high degree of interest among business owners in the area. There is no residential population save in Unity Street. Building 3 Harbourside SMcf reported the satisfactory outcome of his efforts to mitigate the impact of the unplanned plant shelter on the roof of the building.

3

Major sites latest minutes  

http://www.bristolcivicsociety.org.uk/images/meeting-archive/major-sites-latest-minutes.pdf

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you