Page 1

Issue No. 7

February 2011


Inside this issue

Aero-tow Gliding at VARMS Field.


Anthony Mott’s World Endurance Record.


The Thompson Trophy.


2010 World Scale Championship.


Indoor Rubber Scale at Sandringham


Scale Modelling in South Africa.



From the Editor. It’s been a bit quiet for the last few months of 2010 with a number of outdoor scale events washed out or blown away. The sticks and tissue brigade of indoor flyers are not affected by the weather and a scale event held at Sandringham is included, thanks to Gary Sunderland and Paul Butler. A notable achievement of the past year has been David Law’s fourth placing at the 2010 World Scale Championship and you will be able to read David’s account of of his experiences at the Championship in this issue. Anthony Mott has been at it again and in late December set a new duration time which should, in due course, be accepted as the new World record. While the past figure of 24hrs was eclipsed by a 28hr flight time the anticipated 34hrs+ flight had to be terminated earlier than expected due to deteriorating weather conditions. The Nationals will be over by the time this newsletter is issued and I hope that the extreme weather experienced in our north has not interfered too much with that event.

Victorian Flying Scale Aircraft Association The Special Interest Group for Scale Modelling in Victoria. IF YOU LIKE TO FLY SCALE AIRCRAFT THEN VICSCALE IS THE PLACE TO BE. General Meetings are held bi-monthly on the first Thursday of the even months at the Field Naturalist Club of Victoria, 1 Gardenia Street, Blackburn. Visitors are always welcome and a highlight of meetings is the presentation of new models as they are constructed, and discussion on building techniques by members.

Giorgio Valcastelli shows his Macchi M.C. 205.

Scale events are held at various venues and are also listed in the VMAA calendar. Open to all members of the MAAA, VICSCALE events cater for both ARF’s and owner built models. VICSCALE members are always available to advise or assist you in your building project, explain the competition rules, or guide you through the flying schedule.

John Lamont.

This newsletter is published bi-monthly to feature scale building and flying, and modelling events in the State of Victoria, Australia. Lew Rodman’s Fairchild 24 in flight..

Contributing material and requests for inclusion on the distribution list may be forwarded to — John Lamont Unit 5, 1326 Main Road, Eltham, 3095 Ph: 03 9431 0044 E-mail:

On the Cover. David Anderson’s Sopwith Pup from the Mick Reeves plan is powered by a OS Sirius radial engine.

page 2


Sportscale & ARF

State Field

February 6th

Sportscale & ARF


February 13th

Sportscale & ARF


February 27th

Monty Tyrrell Scale Rally


March 5th (Sat.)

Sportscale & ARF

State Field

March 14th

Sportscale & ARF


Victorian Model News

Aero-tow Gliding at VARMS Steve Malcman was the towplane pilot, flying a 1/3 scale ARF Piper Cub. A large petrol engine up front for maximum power with minimum running cost.

I recently visited the VARMS field in the outer suburbs of Melbourne to look over their new field layout and to watch some towline glider flying. The VARMS field is in very close proximity to our new Eastlink tollway and a recent decision by local authorities to use a large part of the eastern side for a basketball and soccer venue meant that the flying area had to move to the western side of the field to allow construction of playing areas, buildings and parking facilities. This reorganisation of the area has resulted in the VARMS club acquiring a new grass runway and a reasonably sized building to serve as a clubhouse. It was very wet underfoot when we visited due to recent heavy rain and consequent runoff from the new earthworks, but when it is all completed it will still remain one of the few flying fields operating in the metropolitan area.

The big Cub made easy work of its towing duties.

Steve makes landing look easy as he side slips the Cub in for a quick turnaround. Not a lot of gliders on the field , probably due to the wet conditions, but these three are lined up waiting their turn with the towplane.

I’m not familiar with gliders but this one took my eye with its smooth lines. Victorian Model News

Another of the scale gliders on display.

page 3

Anthony Mott’s

World Endurance Record.

The Australian Endurance Record of 24hrs 10min, set by GMAC member Anthony Mott in December 2009, has been accepted by the FAI as the new World Record and at the December meeting of the Greensborough club Anthony was presented with his Certificate of Record by Paul Winter, MAAA vice-President.

page 4

Victorian Model News

Following his 24hr flight last year Anthony Mott set out in late December 2010 to surpass all previous figures by flying in excess of 34hrs. At 6:40 am on Wednesday, December 22nd Tedium #3 took off from the GMAC field and, with an improved lighting system, flew through the night and into the next day until deteriorating weather conditions made it necessary to land at 10:40am after a total flight time of 28hrs 43 seconds. This time, although not reaching the anticipated figure, will be claimed as a new World Record. Anthony is planning for another attempt at 34hrs in the near future.

Released for take off at 6:40 am Wednesday 22nd December.

My thanks to Paul McNicholl for his help with the photography.

Airborne and releasing the now redundant undercarriage.

Early morning at GMAC, filling the tank with two litres of diesel fuel.

Anthony and the support team settling in for the long vigil.

Final weight check to ensure the 5kg maximum is not exceeded.

Tedium #3 assembled and ready for flight. Victorian Model News

Morning again and still flying after a cold night.

Tedium #3 about to touch down at 10:40 am Thursday 23rd December. page 5

The Thompson Trophy In the late 1920’s and 1930’s the American public’s imagination was captured by the sport of air racing. It began with the excitement that followed Charles Lindberg’s flight across the Atlantic, and ended as the second World War was exploding in Europe. The colourful, sleek racers and skilled pilots who “polished the pylons” became household names. The talk was of aircraft named GeeBee, Wedell-Williams, Laird, Lockheed, Folkerts, Travel Air and Howard, and of pilots Jimmy Doolittle, Roscoe Turner, Jimmy Haizlip, Pancho Barnes, Roger Don Rae, Lowell Bayles, Harold Neumann, Jaqueline Cochrane, Louise Thaden, Charles “Speed” Holman and others. The Cleveland Air Races opened in 1929. On the program was ten days of racing, stunt flying, spot landing contests, efficiency races and parachute jumping. The forerunners of two classic events in American air racing were held: the Non-Stop Air Derby which would become the Bendix Race and the Free-For-All which became the Thompson Trophy. The Thompson Trophy was sponsored by Thompson Products Co. and the trophy for the 1929 race was a loving cup purchased for $25 plus $10 for the engraving. With the success of the 1929 races it was suggested to Charles E. Thompson that the National Aeronautic Association be requested to establish a permanent Thompson Trophy. Thompson felt that most trophies were not good works of art and four noted sculptors were asked to submit clay sketches for the new trophy. The design proposed by Walter A. Sinz of Cleveland was considered to be the most appropriate with excellent workmanship and rich in idealism and significance. The trophy was fashioned in bronze and mounted on a black marble base. It represents Icarus, the first man to fly according to Greek mythology, with wings spread, facing skyward and symbolising man’s progress in conquering the air throughout the centuries. In bas relief about the cliff are sculptured milestones in man’s attainment of great speeds. Above the cliff are billowing clouds, perched eagles and a rising sun Surmounting all is the high speed aeroplane that won the last year’s Thompson Trophy Race. Names of winning pilots were to be engraved on the ten shields mounted beneath the clouds. page 6

A Thompson Trophy on display at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C.

There were two series of Thompson races. The first series followed the award of the ‘Thompson Cup” at the 1929 National air races to the winner of the “International Land Plane Free-For-All” (i.e. the unlimited class race). The second series was for the new trophy awarded for the next ten years for unlimited class racing. The Thompson Trophy was a closed circuit, pylon-marked contest but rather than planes competing one at a time as in other races, the Thompson was a horse race in the air, pilots started together and jockeyed for position. The high speed, low altitude, race which made tight turns around the pylons was extremely exciting. As one Thompson racer noted: “It was a toss-up whether everybody was going to get to that first pylon alive.” Of the major trophy races, the Thompson was the most popular. Although the military dominated the Pulitzer and Schneider races, civilian pilots and home built planes tended to excel in the Thompson contest. Victorian Model News

In 1929, Doug Davis surprised everyone when he piloted a Travel Air Model R “Mystery Ship” to victory over the best that the military had. Jimmy Doolittle, an army aviator, won the 1932 race but he did so in a privately manufactured plane — one of the famous GeeBees. Some of the Thompson’s other noteworthy pilots included Roscoe Turner, Jimmy Wedell, and Benny Howard. Turner did the unthinkable when he won three Thompsons, a feat that no other matched. Jimmy Wedell, a Texan who supposedly built his first racer from a chalk outline drawn on the floor, won the 1933 contest. Benny Howard, the maker of the “Darned Good Airplane” flew his own “Mr. Mulligan” to victory in 1935. The legacy of death that was begun in the first race of 1929 was to follow the Thompson Trophy for many years. In fact, death seemed to stalk the victors of the Thompson Trophy. Both 1930 winner Speed Holman and 1931 winner Lowell Bayles were killed in competition crashes within a few months of their Thompson Trophy victories, and in 1933 winner Jimmy Wedell was killed in a nonracing crash in June 1934. On the eve of the 1934 race, only one former winner, 1932 champion Jimmy Doolttle, who had retired shortly after his victory, remained alive. Races were held until 1939 when the series was ended by the onset of war. Roscoe Turner won in 1939 and formally retired from racing. An era ended and a World War began. Racing planes were pushed into dark corners of hangars as their pilots, builders and mechanics prepared to enter the war. None of the aeroplanes raced again. After World War II, with the original trophy retired, advances in aeroplane technology complicated matters and it was decided to establish a new series, with “R”(piston engine) and “J” (jetpowered) divisions. The “R” class was for civilian competition: the “J” class was for military pilots and was administered by the US Air Force. Roscoe Turner, the last winner of the pre-war trophy, refused to relinquish it, but the original moulds were located and two additional casts were made, differing only in the legend engraved at the base and by placards identifying the division.

1931 Lowell Bayles GeeBee Model Z 236.24 mph

1932 Jimmy Doolittle GeeBee Model R 252.69 mph

1933 James R. Wedell Wedell-Williams 44 237.92 mph

1934 Roscoe Turner Wedell-Williams 44 248.13 mph

1935 Harold Neumann Howard DGA-6 “Mister Mulligan” 220.19 mph

Racing for the Thompson Trophy continued until 1961 but it had all changed and the “Golden Era of Air Racing” was gone forever. Thompson Trophy Winners 1929-1939.

1929 Doug Davis Travel Air Type R “Mystery Ship” 194 mph

1936 Michel Detroyat Caudron C.460 264.26 mph

1937 R.A.” Rudy” Kling Folkerts SK-3 256.91 mph 1930 Charles Holman Laird LCDW-100 “Solution” 201.91 mph

Victorian Model News

1938-9 Roscoe Turner Laird-Turner LTR-14 “Meteor” 283.42 mph (1938) 282.57 mph (1939)

page 7

By David Law Before I get into the report there are a couple of things I would like to clarify. Firstly, the World Champs would not have been possible for me at all if not for Model Engines assisting in organising the transport of my model when other avenues failed. I am so grateful that they came to my rescue and made the task of getting my model to Poland and back so easy. Secondly, after an event like this there always seems to be criticisms of the judging as each country likes to think their representatives are the best and unbeatable. To put the record straight, the judging overall was the best I had experienced at a World Champs and quite simply I finished in fourth place because, on this occasion, I wasn’t good enough to place any higher. The good thing about the judging this time was that the static judging was more in line with how we judge over here. If you built it, you were scored; if you didn’t, you didn’t get a score. This meant that the static scores were close enough together for competitors to catch up with their flying. I also need to note my deepest thanks to Cliff McIver, Noel Whitehead, and Bill Kirk for all their coaching and expertise at the field when I was practising. Both Cliff and Noel had no problem telling me my flying wasn’t up to scratch when it needed to be said. Also, Cliff’s assistance with trimming and the odd motor when required, and Noels constant phone calls to make sure I was working on the model and not sleeping. Bill who was the team manager helped by using his extensive knowledge and contacts throughout the aviation industry to find the subject aircraft I ended up building as well as making the crucial introductions to the people at Moorabbin airport that gave me the on-going access I required to make it a success. He also managed, using his contacts to obtain the construction drawings of the full size Pitts S2A from Aviatt which I used to build my model. The planning for a World Champs in Scale, if you are intending on building a new model, really needs to start four years minimum before the event. You need to be aware of what you think the rules will be in four years time and try to make the best choice of model that will suit those incoming rules. By the time you have researched the model and collected information, let alone built the model, you will find, as I did, that you are test flying, trying to practice, and finishing the model all in the last month before you have to fly out. As I said, minimum of four years. On this occasion the World Champs were being held in a town in Poland called Czestochowa which is one and a half hours from Krakow. We had decided that we would arrive a couple of days earlier than the official registration date to acclimatise to the country - a really good move. The model left Melbourne 15 days before we did to give it a safe chance of being there when I arrived. I think it took about 10 days for the model to arrive and the word back was that the model box had received some damage on the way. I was keen to get there and check the model wasn’t damaged.

The team this year was made up of Caroline Law as my helper, Bill Kirk as Team Captain and I as the only competitor from Australia. Noel Whitehead was judging. Caroline and I travelled from Melbourne to Poland with Noel and met up with Bill Kirk in Munich for the last leg. We landed at Krakow Airport in Poland at about 2:00pm and still had an hour and a half to drive. As Noel was a judge, he was being picked up so we asked the driver of Noel’s car (who did not speak a word of English) if I could follow him as I had no idea where I had to go. Little did I know the most frightening drive of my life was about to begin. Just imagine after not sleeping for close to 30 hours jumping in the wrong side of a car with the steering wheel in the wrong place and the gear stick on the wrong side, wrong side of the road and trying to keep up with Mad Max doing 160km P/H in the heavy rain. NOT FUN but I lived. We arrived at Czestochowa at about 5:00pm, had dinner at the motel and then an early night. July 28th. I was keen today to find the flying site and see that my model was ok considering the box had been damaged in transport.

Finding the flying site was rather difficult as the organisers were still to erect the signage to the field. We found out on the way that the locals, when trying to speak English, refer to left as right and right as left however their assistance was still much appreciated. Eventually we came across an old opening in a fence at the end of a small road that looked like the rear entry to a WW2 air base (which it probably was) . As it turned out we were in the right place and the organisers were most welcoming. They quickly took me to the location of my model box and to my surprise there was absolutely no damage to the model. The box had three puncture marks from a fork lift and had been crushed but all three penetrations from the forks had missed the model. It was a bit early from the organiser’s point of view for us to start assembling the model so we organised a trip to go to Auschwitz and Birkenau concentration camps in Krakow — a must see for anyone going to Poland.

We left Melbourne on the 26th July and arrived in Poland on the 27th July.

page 8

Victorian Model News

July 29th. After a great breakfast at the motel I was keen to get started on the assembly of my model. Now that we knew our way to the field it was a lot easier to get there and only took about 15-20 minutes. On arriving the organisers told me that although it was time for them to start processing competitors they weren’t quite ready. After a bit of discussion they agreed to give me some space in the hanger where the models would be kept during the comp. I was glad to be the first there and get started early as it allowed me to spread out and take my time assembling the model. Assembling the model took about 6 hours so most of the day was spent at the field. It also gave me the chance to have a look around at the flying area which seemed to be pretty good. By the end of the day some of the other competitors had started to arrive. It’s really good to see some old faces again. I also took the opportunity to work out what materials I would need to repair the box. July 30th. On the way to the field this morning we stopped at the local Polish Bunning’s called Castorama to pick up some building materials to repair the box. One of the competitors suggested adding foam to the outside of the box to make it look fragile. The repairs almost

caused an international incident when the officials were offended by the amount of foam balls created by the cutting of the foam. They arrived with a vacuum and demanded that Caroline should do some house work. Just a little bit funny to see Caroline forced to use a vacuum to clean up my mess. That was enough model stuff for today we left early afternoon for some site seeing around the local town. July 31st. Big day today. I have my official practice flight at 8:00am and then the opening ceremony after lunch. Because there is only one Australian competitor it means I only get a ten minute time slot. This is not a lot of practice time when you have had to rebuild your model in another country after flying to the other side of the world. I was the first contestant to have a practice flight and I thought I could beat the system by getting to the flight line early and extending my practice time.

Victorian Model News

page 9

I started my motor at 7:45am and was quickly told to shut it down because the program said 8:00am. So I had a ten minute time slot. Not quite enough time to retune the engine and trim the model as well as practice, but it is what it is. The practice went well and the run way was really comfortable to fly off. It would have been good to get a bit more take off practice from the bitumen.

After the flight we headed back to the hangar on the flat bed trailer and prepared the model for static judging, my turn is to be before the opening ceremony. The only difference I noticed in the static judging this time was that the judges were very interested in seeing how you proved that you had built the model. After static I prepared the model for tomorrow’s first round. I am number six to fly so it will be an early start.

page 10

Victorian Model News

After lunch the opening ceremony started. This consisted of lots of speeches, marching girls and brass bands together with a flying display over the top of the crowd.

break. Fair enough too - they must have been exhausted after judging almost 5 flights. Anyway time to fly. I thought my flight had gone well and I was fairly happy with it as a first flight. They had a great scoring system which meant you got your flight scores back within ten minutes. On getting my scores back it was very evident the judges were scoring quite hard, but still I had a good flight score and the best one for the morning group.

Unfortunately for me a Christian Eagle was in the display. The pilot had chosen to do most of the manoeuvres I was doing with my Pitts and he did them a lot more aggressively than I had intended. Anyway it was time to go back to the room and fill out the paper work for tomorrow’s flight and a good night’s sleep. August 1st. We arrived at the field at 7:45 am loaded the model on the flat bed and made our way to the runway. The first flight at 8:00am had a dead stick and there was another model that wouldn’t start. It was finally time for my flight but the judges decided they needed a

At a World Champs there are three rounds. This means you use the first round as a feeler to see what the judges want to see, The second round is to make any changes and the third is to perfect your flight. On this occasion there was no practice flying so any changes to the routine would be flown in the second round unpracticed. We headed back to the hangar and I prepared the model for the next round. During the lunchtime break I had the opportunity to ask the judges how I could improve my flight for the next round. Basically I needed to improve my scale realism score. The judges wanted to see a more aggressive flight with harder manoeuvres, like the Christian Eagle they had seen in the opening display. This is a bit of a risk because by making the flight harder you might improve your scale realism score but you risk getting a lower score on each manoeuvre if it is harder to do. I had to do something so the judges could see I had listened to their advice, but I was concerned about not being able to practice.

The rest of the day was spent at the ruins of a nearby castle. Victorian Model News

Page 11

At 8:00 pm we had a Team Managers meeting at the field. During the meeting the organisers asked if any contestants in the other classes could put on a display at the end of the following day for the locals. None seemed too interested but my ears pricked up as I could see an opportunity to practice. I checked if I could help and organised to put on a display after the completion of the first round. August 2nd. We decided to catch a ride with the Americans today back to Krakow and take a look at the salt mine. Another must see if in Poland. We had to be back to the flying field by 6:00pm to do the flying

demo for the locals. What I didn’t know when I agreed to do the demo was that I wasn’t going to be flying off the runway, but from a narrow taxi way. I couldn’t really pull out once I was standing in front of all those people, however, I just didn’t think I would be able to take off successfully let alone land. As it turned out I managed to get away with the take off although it was a bit hairy. During the so called demo I tried as many manoeuvres as possible to find something new I could add to my competition flight that would make it more appealing to the judges. It was now time to land, I wasn’t looking forward to this but knew I couldn’t fly forever. To my surprise I managed to kiss the model down right in the middle of the taxi way. The locals loved it — I didn’t. After my flight I found they had posted the scores for the first

page 12

round. I was in fifth place. This was a bit of a shock to me as in my mind I thought I would be struggling to stay in the top ten considering the level of models I was competing against. I also started to feel a bit of pressure now to maintain my position. At the end of the first round, Max Merkenschlager with his Stinson Trimotor was deservedly in the lead. The jets had also made their presence known. Mark Levy from France with his Fouga Magister and Robertus Vitaly with his F-15 had flown superbly. Mark was in second place and Robertus was in third. The other good performance was from Mick Henderson of the United Kingdom flying a DH9 into 4th place at the end of the !st round.

August 3rd. Today is the start of the second round and we have a day off. I decided to spend the day watching my competitors fly. In particular, the ones that could have an impact on my current position, which was any of about ten people. The weather started off good but quickly became cold, wet and windy. I spent the whole day at the runway watching and contemplating what changes to my pattern could help to improve my scale realism of flight score. After dinner it was a fairly late night working out a new flight routine. In the end I changed my loop for a Lomcevak , added a four point roll and a Cuban Eight, and also added a non scored aerobatic manoeuvre on every pass as well as a turn around manoeuvre at each end. It was a big gamble but I had to do something to increase my flight scores. The other challenge was I had to draw a diagram of the Lomcevak for the judges as some of them couldn’t speak English and had to

Victorian Model News

be able to understand what I was doing.

I was pretty angry when I landed and sulked over to my seat refusing to acknowledge anyone. When I saw the girl was near completing the addition of my flight scores I stood waiting for the paper work. Unbelievable, the gamble paid off! The judges liked the flight and I had improved from my first round with a score that was one of the highest in the second round. Now that II was happy again I started talking and showed Bill and Caroline the score. Although I can’t quite remember, I think we all did a little happy dance and headed back to town to relax and do some shopping. After shopping we picked up Bill and went back to the field to see if the second round scores had been posted. They had and I was in third place. At first I was in disbelief so we had a couple of beers from the bar that was about 5m from the score board. I remember feeling so happy that the name Australia was sitting there in black and white at third place and for that moment in time it wasn’t going to change. Then the pressure started building because I had to try and stay there.

August 4th. Another early morning. We once again climbed on the trailer and rode to the runway. Caroline and I had been discussing the flight constantly since last night. This flight was really the one that counted and I just had to pull it off. After a nervous wait it was my time to fly. I gave my diagram of the Lomcevak to the judges and tried to explain how the manoeuvre would look. This became a very difficult task as the judges started arguing amongst themselves as to how the manoeuvre should be judged. It took some time and I was feeling very uneasy; I was starting to think I had made a big mistake changing the flight. I then started explaining the change I was going to make to the half Cuban 8, but as I saw the confusion grow on the judges faces I decided to leave it as it was. We started the motor and I remember thinking as I taxied out that I’d blown it by changing the flight routine. On my first turn after the take off was completed the hooter boy honked his horn. I knew I hadn’t flown behind the line but I was still rattled by this, thinking I’d zeroed my previous manoeuvre. I found out after the flight that the judges paid no attention to him as he would fall asleep and randomly honk the horn on waking up. SOMEONE COULD HAVE TOLD ME. By now I was convinced the whole flight was shot to pieces and there was a lot of confusion between myself and my caller due to the manoeuvres I was doing ( and weren’t being scored) to increase my scale realism score.

Victorian Model News

Looking at the scores it was fairly obvious first and second place were out of reach. These two places will be fought out between Mark Levy who was now in first place and Max Merkenschlager who had dropped down to second place, but at the same time I knew it was going to be very hard to keep third place as Peter McDermott hadn’t yet flown at his best and he had won static which gave him a 170 point advantage over me. It was also possible for any one of about five people to take out third place. Anyway back to town and Bill shouted Caroline and me to dinner to celebrate. August 5th. The last round is always run in the order of position after the second round and it starts at the bottom. This means I get another day off. We decided to see as much of the town as possible as this would be our last chance. After lunch I went back to the field to watch a few of the third round flights that could affect my position, Peter McDermott being of high interest. Peter was the last to fly today, his flight was good and his score showed it. That night we went out and partied with the English which included the Scots. We had a ball. August 6th. Today is the last round. The competition is going to be over by lunch time. From memory we had the last ten flights left and I was third last to fly. I remember telling everyone and myself that I was relaxed and it was going to be easy, but it was really the opposite. I had been doing the figures all night long and knew I could hold on to third if I flew the flight of my life. There were people from home calling and sending me good wishes as well as telling me I could do it. The other flights seemed to be over in a flash, and then it was me. I flew a good flight with a higher score than my last, but not my best. I think I will remember forever the painful stabbing feeling of every little mistake I made . page 13

After I flew, Mark Levy from France flew a great round followed by Max from Germany who also flew a great round, and then it was over. Four years of building and flying for this event was over in flash. The fences and tents were almost down before I made it back to the hanger.

The organisers had arranged a day trip to old Krakow town, this is another must do in Poland.

The final places were as follows:

That night was the closing ceremony. It started off well with a video of the event running in the back ground. Once the speeches started the video was turned off and the evening declined rapidly. Three hours of speeches. It was about 9:30pm before we were served any food, and it wasn’t all that good. So tonight is the end of a four year journey -I wonder how I will fill the hole it has left. Spain 2012?? In the end, the greatest thanks need to go to my wife and family for their understanding and support not withstanding the lack of time I have given them since 2006. For any Aussie thinking of giving this a go please do, but be sure you have got the support of your family first, because it consumes your life. For the next few hours I was pulling down the model and putting it back in its box. After the model was boxed up we headed out to celebrate. It didn’t take long to find a noisy group of English, Scots, Italians, and Spanish that had taken over a section of an Italian restaurant. Once again we had a ball with our European friends. August 7th.

page 14

David Law.

Victorian Model News

Marc Levy of France took second place with his Fouga Magister CM 70R.

Peter McDermott of Great Britain placed third with his DH9A.

2010 World Scale Champion Max Merkenschlager of Germany, his support team, and the winning Stinson A1 Trimotor.

David Law of Australia placed fourth with his Pitts Special - S2A.

Victorian Model News

Mick Henderson of Great Britain placed fifth with his DH9.

page 15

Indoor Rubber Scale at

After attending the Peanut Scale Championships at Doncaster I missed this event at the end of the year through not paying attention to the contest calendar. Fortunately Gary Sunderland sent details. “Down on numbers this year, fourteen models (in 2009 we had twenty-two) but lots of flying. As usual the top place was down to the flying realism scores and Colin Parker’s Spitfire took the honours with two perfect flights. This year my Taube refused to ROG (Rise off ground i.e. take off) so the hand launch still qualified but with the loss of take off points, so the Taube came second this year.” The excellent photographs were provided by Paul Butler.


This Renard 17 in Belgian markings was built by Don Blader and featured a metal radial engine also made by the builder.

A 1935 Corben Super Ace by Colin Stones.

page 16

A 1916 Fokker EIII Eindekker built by Nick Calvino.

A Sopwith Triplane by Gary Sunderland.

Victorian Model News

A 1914 Jennin Taube by Gary Sunderland.

Colin Parker’s 1918 Junkers CL.I.

Another unusual subject is Bruce Grayling’s model of the 1911 Voisin Hydro.

Victorian Model News

Colin Parker’s first place winning Mk.22 Spitfire.

Jim Fullarton’s Butler “Red Devil” This aircraft was a Bristol M.I modified in the 1920’s to take a Gypsy engine.

Another from the prolific builder Gary Sunderland, this one is a Fokker FXI Universal.

page 17

FLYING SCALE IN SOUTH AFRICA I first met Koos Pretorius at the 2002 World Scale Championships in Canada and we have kept in touch ever since. Koos is constructing a model of the T-28 Trojan as a future World Championship entry and I was able to assist in the early design stages by sending photographs and some detail measurements taken from the T-28 owned by Judy Pay and located at Tyabb, Victoria. Work has been in progress for some time and the WC model is now taking shape. Fuselage and tail assembly are fibreglass and the wings are conventional balsa/plywood construction. Model specs. are —

Wingspan 2.34m Scale 1:5.3 Weight 14kg Engine Fuji 86cc flat twin (petrol), 5HP. Pattern for undercarriage casting.

page 18

The fuselage mould.

Fuselage moulding.

Wingtip mould.

Wingtip moulding.

Victorian Model News

Koos followed the same path as Noel Whitehead with his Winjeel and built a basic model for trial and practice while the WC model was being constructed. The colour scheme for this model is based on a T-28 located at Duxford in the UK.

The World Championship Model

Victorian Model News

page 19

This flyer came to me from Gary Sunderland whose international reputation as a WWI scale modeller obviously extends to the USA. Those with the wherewithal and inclination to travel to Florida with a WWI scale model might be interested in looking at the website for more information. It’s to be held at Kermit Weekes’ Fantasy of Flight Museum and even if you don’t want to go it’s worth a look at the site to see what Kermit is up to these days!

Victorian Model News

page 20


Victorian Scale Association 7/2/11