Issuu on Google+


∏ ÈÛÙÔÚ›· Ù˘ fiÏ˘ ·Ú¯›˙ÂÈ ·fi ÙËÓ ·Ú¯·›· ¡Â¿ÔÏË, fiÔ˘ Û˘Ó·ÓÙÈÔ‡ÓÙ·È Ë ·Ó·ÙÔÏ‹ Î·È Ë ‰‡ÛË, Î·È ‰È·ÛÙ·˘ÚÒÓÔÓÙ·È ÔÈ ¿ÍÔÓ˜ £¿ÛÔ˘ - ¶·ÁÁ·›Ô˘ Î·È ƒÒÌ˘ ∫ˆÓÛÙ·ÓÙÈÓÔ‡ÔÏ˘. ŸÙ·Ó ÙËÓ Î·Ù·ÎÙ¿ Ô º›ÏÈÔ˜ μã Á›ÓÂÙ·È ÛÔ˘‰·›Ô Â›ÓÂÈÔ Ù˘ fiÏ˘ ÙˆÓ ºÈÏ›ˆÓ. ΔÔÓ 9Ô ·ÈÒÓ· ÌÂÙÔÓÔÌ¿˙ÂÙ·È Û ÃÚÈÛÙÔ‡ÔÏË ·fi ÙÔ˘˜ μ˘˙·ÓÙÈÓÔ‡˜, Û·Ó Ë ÚÒÙË Â˘Úˆ·˚΋ ¯ÚÈÛÙÈ·ÓÈ΋ fiÏË Ô˘ ÂÈÛΤÙÂÙ·È Ô ∞fiÛÙÔÏÔ˜ ¶·‡ÏÔ˜, Î·È ·Ó·‰ÈÔÚÁ·ÓÒÓÂÙ·È Û οÛÙÚÔ. ™¯ÂÙÈΤ˜ ·Ó·ÊÔÚ¤˜ ˘¿Ú¯Ô˘Ó Û ÛËÌ·ÓÙÈο ΛÌÂÓ· ‹‰Ë ·fi Ù· 1154, Î·È ˘ÔÛÙËÚ›˙ÔÓÙ·È ·fi ÙËÓ ·Ú¯·ÈÔÏÔÁÈ΋ Ûη¿ÓË. ΔÔ Î¿ÛÙÚÔ ÂÚÓ¿ÂÈ ‰È·‰Ô¯Èο ·fi ÙÔ˘˜ μ˘˙·ÓÙÈÓÔ‡˜ ÛÙÔ˘˜

§ÔÌ‚·Ú‰Ô‡˜, ÙÔ˘˜ºÚ¿ÁÎÔ˘˜, Í·Ó¿ ÛÙÔ˘˜ μ˘˙·ÓÙÈÓÔ‡˜ Î·È ÙÂÏÈο ÛÙÔ˘˜ ΔÔ‡ÚÎÔ˘˜ (1391), Ô˘ ΢ÚÈÂ‡Ô˘Ó Î·È Î·Ù·ÛÙÚ¤ÊÔ˘Ó ÔÏÔÛ¯ÂÚÒ˜ ÙË ÃÚÈÛÙÔ‡ÔÏË Ô˘ ·Ú·Ì¤ÓÂÈ ·Î·ÙÔ›ÎËÙË ÙÔ˘Ï¿¯ÈÛÙÔÓ Ì¤¯ÚÈ ÙÔ 1470. ªÂÙ¿ ÙËÓ Â·Ó›‰Ú˘ÛË Ù˘ fiÏ˘, Ë ·ÎÚfiÔÏË ·ÔÙÂÏ› ÙÔ ÌfiÓÔ Ú·ÁÌ·ÙÈο ·ÛʷϤ˜ ̤ÚÔ˜ Ù˘ ¯ÂÚÛÔÓ‹ÛÔ˘ ¤ˆ˜ ÙÔ 1530, fiÔÙ ÛÙËÓ ›‰È· ÚÔÓÔÌÈÔ‡¯· ÛÙÚ·ÙËÁÈ΋ ı¤ÛË È‰Ú‡ÂÙ·È Ë fiÏË Ù˘ ∫·‚¿Ï·˜.

The City's history begins with ancient Neapolis, a settlement at the crossroads between the RomeConstantinople and the Thassos-Pangaea axes. After the town is conquered by Philip II it becomes a prominent seaport of ancient Filippi. In the 9th century, the Byzantines reorganize the settlement into a citadel or acropolis and give it the name Christoupolis, the first Christian city on the European continent visited by the Apostle Paul. The citadel successively changes hands, from the Byzantines to the Lombardians, the Franks, back to the Byzantines and finally to the Turks (1391), when Christoupolis is totally destroyed and abandoned, remaining uninhabited until 1470. Following the town's re-settlement, the citadel is the only secure stronghold on the cape up to 1530, when the town of Kavala is established at this strategicallyadvantageous location.


∏ ·ÎÚfiÔÏ‹ Ù˘ ∫·‚¿Ï·˜, ‹ fiˆ˜ Â›Ó·È ÈÔ ÁÓˆÛÙ‹ Û‹ÌÂÚ·, ÙÔ Î¿ÛÙÚÔ, ·ÔÙÂÏ› ¯·Ú·ÎÙËÚÈÛÙÈÎfi ÙÔfiÛËÌÔ Ù˘ ÛËÌÂÚÈÓ‹˜ fiÏ˘, ¿ÚÚËÎÙ· ‰Â̤ÓÔ Ì ÙËÓ ÂÈÎfiÓ· Ù˘. √ÚıÒÓÂÙ·È ÂÚ‹Ê·Ó· ÛÙËÓ ÎÔÚ˘Ê‹ Ù˘ ¯ÂÚÛÔÓ‹ÛÔ˘ Ù˘ ¶·Ó·Á›·˜, ÂÓÙ·Á̤ÓÔ ·ÚÌÔÓÈο ÛÙËÓ ÔÌÒÓ˘ÌË ÈÛÙÔÚÈ΋ Û˘ÓÔÈΛ· Ô˘ ÂÎÙ›ÓÂÙ·È ÎÏÈ̷Έٿ ÔÏfiÁ˘Ú¿ ÙÔ˘. Δ˘ÈÎfi ‰Â›ÁÌ· ‚˘˙·ÓÙÈÓ‹˜ Ô¯˘ÚÒÛ˘, Ë ·ÎÚfiÔÏË, ·ÔÙÂÏÂ›Ù·È ·fi ÙÔÓ Â͈ÙÂÚÈÎfi ÂÚ›‚ÔÏÔ Î·È ÙËÓ Î˘Ú›ˆ˜ ·ÎÚfiÔÏË. √ Â͈ÙÂÚÈÎfi˜ ÂÚ›‚ÔÏÔ˜, Ô¯˘ÚÒÓÂÈ ÙË ¯·ÌËÏfiÙÂÚË Ï·ÁÈ¿ ÙÔ˘ ÏfiÊÔ˘,

·ÎÔÏÔ˘ıÒÓÙ·˜ ÙË ‰È·ÌfiÚʈÛË ÙÔ˘ ‰¿ÊÔ˘˜. Œ¯ÂÈ ·Î·ÓfiÓÈÛÙÔ Û¯‹Ì·, ˘„ÔÌÂÙÚÈ΋ ‰È·ÊÔÚ¿ ˆ˜ 10 Ì., ̤ÛÔ Ì‹ÎÔ˜ 56 Ì. Î·È Ï¿ÙÔ˜ ·fi 17ˆ˜58 Ì. Δ· Ù›¯Ë ÂÓÈÛ¯‡ÔÓÙ·È Ì 3 ‡ÚÁÔ˘˜ Î·È ¤Ó·Ó ÚÔÌ·¯ÒÓ·.∏ ΢ڛˆ˜ ·ÎÚfiÔÏË ÂÚÈÎÏ›ÂÈ ÙÔ, Ê˘ÛÈο Ô¯˘ÚˆÌ¤ÓÔ, „ËÏfiÙÂÚÔ ÛËÌÂ›Ô Ù˘ ¯ÂÚÛÔÓ‹ÛÔ˘, 70 Ì. ¿Óˆ ·fi ÙË ı¿Ï·ÛÛ·. Œ¯ÂÈ Î·ÓÔÓÈÎfi Û¯‹Ì· ‰È·ÛÙ¿ÛÂˆÓ 49x30 Ì. ΔÔ ÂÛˆÙÂÚÈÎfi Ù˘ ÂÚÈÎÏ›ÂÈ ÙÔ˘˜ ··Ú·›ÙËÙÔ˘˜ ·Ì˘ÓÙÈÎÔ‡˜ ¯ÒÚÔ˘˜: ÙÔÓ ÎÂÓÙÚÈÎfi ΢ÏÈÓ‰ÚÈÎfi ‡ÚÁÔ (3) ηٿÏÏËÏÔ ÁÈ· ÚÔ‚ÔÏ‹ ÙÂÏÂ˘Ù·›·˜ ¿Ì˘Ó·˜ ηÈ

ηÙÔÈΛ· ÙÔ˘ μ˘˙·ÓÙÈÓÔ‡ ÊÚÔ‡Ú·Ú¯Ô˘, ÙËÓ ˘fiÁÂÈ· ‰ÂÍ·ÌÂÓ‹ ÓÂÚÔ‡ (4), ÙËÓ ·Ôı‹ÎË ˘ÚÔÌ·¯ÈÎÒÓ Î·È ÙÚÔÊ›ÌˆÓ (5), Ù· ηٷχÌÌ·Ù· Ù˘ ÊÚÔ˘Ú¿˜ (6), Î·È Î¿ÔÈ· ¿ÏÏ· ÔÈ΋̷ٷ Ô˘ ·ÔηχÊıËÎ·Ó Û ÚfiÛÊ·Ù˜ ¤Ú¢Ó˜ (1976). ΔÔ ÂÛˆÙÂÚÈÎfi ¯ˆÚ›˙ÂÙ·È ÛÙ· ‰‡Ô ·fi ÙËÓ μ∞ ÎÔÚÙ›Ó· (7) Ô˘ ÂÚÈÏ·Ì‚¿ÓÂÈ ÙÔÓ ÎÂÓÙÚÈÎfi ΢ÏÈÓ‰ÚÈÎfi ‡ÚÁÔ (3) Î·È ÙËÓ ‡ÏË ÂÈÎÔÈÓˆÓ›·˜ ÙˆÓ 2 ÙÌËÌ¿ÙˆÓ (8), Ô˘ ‹Ù·Ó Ë ·Ú¯È΋ Î·È ÌÔÓ·‰È΋ ‡ÏË Ù˘ ·ÎÚfiÔÏ˘ ̤¯ÚÈ ÙÔ 1530.

Kavala castle is a typical example of Byzantine fortification and a characteristic landmark of modern Kavala. It stands proudly at the highest point of the Panaghia's peninsula, harmoniously merging with the tiers of the surrounding historic district. The outer enclosure protects the escarpment side, following the ground formation. The walls are irregularly shaped, 56 meters long and 58 meters wide, reinforced by 3 towers and an outpost. The main keep, measuring 49 by 30 metres, encircles the highest point, 70 meters above sea level. The keep's interior contains all the necessary defenses: the circular central tower (3), position of last defense, the Byzantine garrison commander's quarters, the underground water cistern (4), the armoury and food depot (5), the guards' quarters (6) as well as some other living areas uncovered by researchers (1976). The enclosure is partitioned from its Northeastern end by a wall, which includes the gate connecting the two areas (8) and which was the only entry to the citadel until 1530.


∏ ·ÎÚfiÔÏË Â›Ó·È ÎÙÈṲ̂ÓË ·fi ·Î·Ù¤ÚÁ·ÛÙ˜ ¤ÙÚ˜ ÙÔÈÎÔ‡ ÁÚ·Ó›ÙË, ÙÔ‡‚Ï· Î·È Ì¿ÚÌ·Ú·, Âӈ̤ӷ ÌÂٷ͇ ÙÔ˘˜ Ì ¿ÊıÔÓÔ ·Û‚ÂÛÙÔÎÔÓ›·Ì·. ∏ ·Ú¯È΋ ¤ÏÏÂÈ„Ë ÈÛ¯˘ÚÔ‡ Ô¯˘ÚˆÌ·ÙÈÎÔ‡ ¯·Ú·ÎÙ‹Ú· ÛÙËÓ Î·Ù·Û΢‹ Ù˘, ÙËÓ Î·Ù·Ù¿ÛÂÈ Ù˘ÔÏÔÁÈο ÛÙËÓ «Ï¢΋ ÂÔ¯‹», ÚÈÓ ÙËÓ ÂÈÎÚ¿ÙËÛË Ù˘ ˘Ú›Ùȉ·˜. ∏ ·ÏÏ·Á‹ Ù˘ ÔÏÂÌÈ΋˜ Ù¯ÓÈ΋˜ Î·È ÔÈ ·˘ÍË̤Ó˜ ·Ì˘ÓÙÈΤ˜ ·Ó¿ÁΘ, ÂÈʤÚÔ˘Ó ·ÏÏ·Á¤˜, ȉȷ›ÙÂÚ· ÛÙÔ ¯·ÌËÏfiÙÂÚÔ Â͈ÙÂÚÈÎfi ÂÚ›‚ÔÏÔ ÙÔ˘ οÛÙÚÔ˘: ·ÓÔ›ÁÂÙ·È Ë ¡¢ ‡ÏË Ô˘ ÙÔ Û˘Ó‰¤ÂÈ Ì ÙÔ Î¤ÓÙÚÔ Ù˘ Ó¤·˜ fiÏ˘, ÂÓÈÛ¯‡ÔÓÙ·È Î·È ‰È·ÌÔÚÊÒÓÔÓÙ·È Ù· ··Ú·›ÙËÙ· ÁÈ· Ì›· ÈÛ¯˘ÚfiÙÂÚË ¿Ì˘Ó· ÛËÌ›· ÙÔ˘. ™ËÌ·ÓÙÈÎfi Ô¯˘ÚˆÌ·ÙÈÎfi ¤ÚÁÔ ·ÔÙÂÏ› Î·È ÙÔ å·Ú¿ ÙËÓ ÃÚÈÛÙÔ‡ÔÏÈÓ Ù›¯ÈÛÌ·”, ηٷÛ΢·Ṳ̂ÓÔ ·fi ÙÔÓ ·˘ÙÔÎÚ¿ÙÔÚ· ∞Ó‰ÚfiÓÈÎÔ μ' ¶·Ï·ÈÔÏfiÁÔ (1302), Ô˘ ÛÒ˙ÂÙ·È ÛÙ· ‚fiÚÂÈ· Ù˘ ÛËÌÂÚÈÓ‹˜ ∫·‚¿Ï·˜. ∏ ·ÎÚfiÔÏË ·ÓÔÈÎÔ‰ÔÌÂ›Ù·È ¿Óˆ ÛÙ· ·ÔÌÂÈÓ¿ÚÈ· ÙÔ˘ ·ÏÈfiÙÂÚÔ˘ οÛÙÚÔ˘, Ì ÙËÓ Ô¯‡ÚˆÛË Ù˘ ÃÚÈÛÙÔ‡ÔÏ˘ Ó· ‰È·ÎÚ›ÓÂÙ·È Û ·ÚÎÂÙ¿ ÛËÌ›· οو ·fi ÙȘ ÌÂÙ·ÁÂÓ¤ÛÙÂÚ˜ ÂÈÛ΢¤˜. ∞

AÎÔÏÔ˘ıÔ‡Ó ‰‡Ô Ê¿ÛÂȘ ÂÈÛ΢ÒÓ: > √È ΔÔ‡ÚÎÔÈ ¯Ù›˙Ô˘Ó Ù· “Ó¤· Ù›¯Ë» (1425), ÂÓ fi„ÂÈ Ù˘ ÂÈΛÌÂÓ˘ Â›ıÂÛ˘ ÙÔ˘ ‚ÂÓÂÙÛÈ¿ÓÈÎÔ˘ ÛÙfiÏÔ˘. > √ ™Ô˘ÏÂ˚Ì¿Ó Ô ªÂÁ·ÏÔÚÂ‹˜ (1530) ·ÔÊ·Û›˙ÂÈ ÙËÓ ÂÓ›Û¯˘ÛË ·ÚÎÂÙÒÓ ·Ú¿ÏÈˆÓ Ô¯˘ÚÒÓ ı¤ÛÂˆÓ Û fiÏË ÙËÓ ·˘ÙÔÎÚ·ÙÔÚ›· Î·È ÂÓÈÛ¯‡ÂÈ ÛËÌ·ÓÙÈο Ù· Ù›¯Ë Ù˘ fiÏ˘. > ΔÔ ÊÚÔ‡ÚÈÔ ÂÂÎÙ›ÓÂÙ·È Î·È ·˘Í¿ÓÂÈ ÛËÌ·ÓÙÈο ÙËÓ ·Ì˘ÓÙÈ΋ ÈÛ¯‡ ÙÔ˘ Ì ÙËÓ ÚÔÛı‹ÎË ÙÔ˘ Â͈ÙÂÚÈÎÔ‡ ÂÚ›‚ÔÏÔ˘ Ù˘ ·ÎÚfiÔÏ˘. ∫Ù›˙ÂÙ·È Ë ·Ôı‹ÎË˘ÚÔÌ·¯ÈÎÒÓ Î·È ÙÚÔÊ›ÌˆÓ Î·È Ô Â͈ÙÂÚÈÎfi˜ ÂÚ›‚ÔÏÔ˜ ·ÔÎÙ¿ ‰‡Ô ‡Ï˜: Ì›· ÛÙË ı¤ÛË Ù˘ ·ÏÈfiÙÂÚ˘ ‚˘˙·ÓÙÈÓ‹˜ ÛÙÔ Ù¤ÚÌ· Ù˘ ÛËÌÂÚÈÓ‹˜ Ô‰Ô‡ ∫·„¿ÏË, Î·È ·ÚÁfiÙÂÚ· ÌÈ· ‰Â‡ÙÂÚË Ô˘ ÏÂÈÙÔ˘ÚÁ› Î·È Û‹ÌÂÚ· ÛÙÔ Ù¤ÚÌ· Ù˘ Ô‰Ô‡ πÛȉÒÚÔ˘.

∞ÎÔÏÔ˘ıÔ‡Ó Î·È ¿ÏϘ ÌÂÙ·ÙÚÔ¤˜, ÁÈ· Ó· ÙÔÔıÂÙËıÔ‡Ó Î·ÓfiÓÈ· Î·È Ó· ÂÈÛ΢·ÛÙÔ‡Ó Ù· Ù›¯Ë. ªÂÙ¿ ÙÔ 16Ô ·ÈÒÓ·, Ë ·ÎÚfiÔÏË Û˘Ó‰¤ÂÙ·È ÛÙÂÓ¿ Ì ÙËÓ ÈÛÙÔÚ›· Ù˘ ∫·‚¿Ï·˜, ηıÒ˜ ·ÔÙÂÏ› ÙÔ ‰ÈÔÈÎËÙÈÎfi Î·È ÛÙÚ·ÙȈÙÈÎfi ΤÓÙÚÔ Ù˘ ¢ڇÙÂÚ˘ ÂÚÈÔ¯‹˜ Î·È Ù˘ fiÏ˘ ·ÎfiÌË Î·È ÌÂÙ¿ ÙËÓ Â¤ÎÙ·ÛË Ù˘ ÂÎÙfi˜ ÙˆÓ ÙÂȯÒÓ.

The castle was built using unshaped local granite, bricks and marble, cemented with lime mortar. It is assigned to the “white period” preceding the gunpowder era. The increasing need for defenses brings changes, particularly to the lower outer enclosure: the Northwestern gate is opened, linking the castle with the center of the new town, the walls are fortified. The acropolis is rebuilt on the remains of the old castle and there are numerous places where Christoupolis' ancient fortifications can still be seen. There are two construction stages: The Turks build the “new walls” (1425), in preparation for an impending attack by the Venetian fleet. Suleiman the Magnificent (1530) extensively strengthens the city walls, along with many coastal outposts throughout the empire. The fort's defense capacity is greatly increased by the addition of the outer enclosure. The armoury and food depots are built and two gates are opened: the first in the place of an older Byzantine gate at the end of today's Kapsali Street and another later at the end of Isidoros Street, still in use today. Cannons are added at a later stage and the walls are repaired once more. After the 16th century, the acropolis is closely linked to the history of the Kavala region, as the military and administrative headquarters of the whole area, even after the city spread beyond the walls.


˘ÔÛÙ¤ÏÏÂÙ·È ·fi ÙȘ Â¿ÏÍÂȘ Ù˘ ·ÎÚfiÔÏ˘.

ΔÔ 17Ô ·ÈÒÓ·, Ë ·ÎÚfiÔÏË ÌÂÙ·ÙÚ¤ÂÙ·È Û ÙfiÔ ÂÍÔÚ›·˜ Î·È Ê˘Ï¿ÎÈÛ˘ ˘ËÎfiˆÓ ÙÔ˘ ÛÔ˘ÏÙ¿ÓÔ˘ fiÔ˘ ÎÚ·ÙÔ‡ÓÙ·È ¯ÚÈÛÙÈ·ÓÔ› Î·È ÔıˆÌ·ÓÔ›. ∏ ·Ôı‹ÎË ˘ÚÔÌ·¯ÈÎÒÓ Î·È ÙÚÔÊ›ÌˆÓ ÌÂÙÔÓÔÌ¿˙ÂÙ·È Û “Ê˘Ï·Î‹” ÏfiÁˆ ·˘Ù‹˜ Ù˘ ¯Ú‹Û˘, Î·È ÎÙ›˙ÂÙ·È ÙÔ ÌÈÎÚfi Ù˙·Ì› ¿Óˆ ·fi ÙË ‰ÂÍ·ÌÂÓ‹. ∞Ó¿ÌÂÛ· ÛÙÔ˘˜ ηٿ ηÈÚÔ‡˜ Ê˘Ï·ÎÈṲ̂ÓÔ˘˜, ÂÚÈÏ·Ì‚¿ÓÔÓÙ·È ÛËÌ·ÓÙÈο ÚfiÛˆ· Ù˘ ÂÔ¯‹˜. ∞fi Ù· ̤۷ ÙÔ˘ 19Ô˘ ·ÈÒÓ·, ۯ‰fiÓ ÂÎÏ›Ô˘Ó ÔÈ Î›Ó‰˘ÓÔÈ Â͈ÙÂÚÈÎÒÓ ÂÈı¤ÛÂˆÓ Î·È Ì·˙› ÙÔ˘˜ Ë ·Ó¿ÁÎË ÔÏ˘ÌÂÏÔ‡˜ ÊÚÔ˘Ú¿˜ Î·È Û˘ÛÙËÌ·ÙÈ΋˜ Û˘ÓÙ‹ÚËÛ˘ ÙÔ˘ ÊÚÔ˘Ú›Ô˘ Î·È ÙˆÓ Î·ÓÔÓÈÒÓ ÙÔ˘. °‡Úˆ ÛÙÔ 1885, ÔÈ ·Ú¯¤˜ Î·È Ë ÛÙÚ·ÙȈÙÈ΋ ‰‡Ó·ÌË ÌÂٷʤÚÔÓÙ·È ¤Íˆ ·fi Ù· Ù›¯Ë Î·È Ë ÛËÌ·›·

™ÙȘ ·Ú¯¤˜ ÙÔ˘ 20Ô˘ ·ÈÒÓ·, Ô ¯Â‰›‚˘ Ù˘ ∞ÈÁ‡ÙÔ˘ ∞Ì¿˜ ÃÈÏÌ› ·ÁÔÚ¿˙ÂÈ ÙÔ Î¿ÛÙÚÔ ·fi ÙÔ˘˜ ΔÔ‡ÚÎÔ˘˜, ÁÈ· Ó· ÙÔ ÌÂÙ·ÙÚ¤„ÂÈ Û ‚ÈÔÌ˯·ÓÈ΋ Î·È ‚ÈÔÙ¯ÓÈ΋ Û¯ÔÏ‹, Û¯¤‰ÈÔ Ô˘ ‰ÂÓ ˘ÏÔÔÈ‹ıËÎÂ. ∏ ·ÎÚfiÔÏË ¯ÚËÛÈÌÔÔÈÂ›Ù·È ÁÈ· ÙÂÏÂ˘Ù·›· ÊÔÚ¿ ÛÙË ‰È¿ÚÎÂÈ· ÙÔ˘ μ' ¶·ÁÎÔÛÌ›Ô˘ ¶ÔϤÌÔ˘ ·fi Ù· ÛÙÚ·Ù‡̷ٷ ηÙÔ¯‹˜. ªÂÙ¿ ÙËÓ ·ÂÏ¢ı¤ÚˆÛË, ÙÔ ÊÚÔ‡ÚÈÔ Â͢ËÚÂÙ› ÈÔ …ηıËÌÂÚÈÓ¤˜ ·Ó¿ÁΘ ÙˆÓ Î·ÙÔ›ÎˆÓ Ù˘ Û˘ÓÔÈΛ·˜, Î·È Á›ÓÂÙ·È ·Ó¿ÌÂÛ· ÛÙ· ¿ÏÏ·, ·˘ÙÔÛ¯¤‰ÈÔ Á‹Â‰Ô Ô‰ÔÛÊ·›ÚÔ˘, ¯ÒÚÔ˜ ÊÈÏÔÍÂÓ›·˜ ·ÁÒÓˆÓ ÂÏ¢ı¤Ú·˜ ¿Ï˘ “Ì¯ÏË‚¿ÓˉˆÓ” Î·È ÚÔÔÚÈÛÌfi˜ Û¯ÔÏÈÎÒÓ ÂΉÚÔÌÒÓ ΔÔ 1964, Ô ¢‹ÌÔ˜ ∫·‚¿Ï·˜ ·ÁÔÚ¿˙ÂÈ ÙÔ ÊÚÔ‡ÚÈÔ ·fi ÙËÓ ∞ÈÁ˘Ùȷ΋ ΢‚¤ÚÓËÛË ¤Ó·ÓÙÈ 40.000 ‰Ú·¯ÌÒÓ.

During the 17th cenury, the acropolis is converted into a place of exile and incarceration for Christians and Ottomans, as well as other local personalities of that era. The armoury and food depot becomes “the prison”. From the 19th century onwards, the danger from foreign attacks fades away and, along with it, the need to staff, support and maintain a large garrison with cannons. Around 1885, the authorities and the military force are moved outside the walls and the flag is taken down from the castle battlements. At the beginning of the 20th century, Abbas Hilmi, the Khedive of Egypt, buys the property from the Turks, intending to turn it into a school for handicrafts and manufacturing. During World War II, the acropolis is commandeered militarily for the last time, by the occupying Army. Since the liberation, the fort is used daily by the district's inhabitants. In 1964, the City of Kavala buys the property from the Egyptian government for 40,000 drachma.


√ μÂÓÂÙfi˜ ηÂÙ¿ÓÈÔ˜ Pietro Zen (1425), Ì ÂÈÛÙÔÏ‹ ÙÔ˘ ÏËÚÔÊÔÚ› ÙÔÓ ·‰ÂÏÊfi ÙÔ˘ ÁÈ· ÙÔ ÎÙ›ÛÈÌÔ ÙˆÓ Ó¤ˆÓ ÙÂȯÒÓ Ù˘ ·ÎÚfiÔÏ˘ ·fi ÙÔ˘˜ ΔÔ‡ÚÎÔ˘˜ Î·È ÂÚÈÁÚ¿ÊÂÈ ÙËÓ Î·Ù¿ÏË„‹ ÙÔ˘ οÛÙÚÔ˘ ÌÂÙ¿ ·fi Â›ıÂÛË 10 μÂÓÂÙÈÎÒÓ Á·Ï¤ÚˆÓ. √È ÏËÚÔÊÔڛ˜ ÙÔ˘ ÁÈ· ÙȘ ‰È·ÛÙ¿ÛÂȘ ÙÔ˘ οÛÙÚÔ˘ Û˘Ì›ÙÔ˘Ó Ì ÙȘ ÛËÌÂÚÈÓ¤˜.

The Venetians Pietro Zen (1425) and Angiollelo (1470), Evlia Tselebi (1667), Robert de Creux (1669), Cousinery (1786) and B. Nikolaidis (19th century) are a few of the prominent travelers who have written about the city and its castles.

√ μÂÓÂÙfi˜ ·ÍȈ̷ÙÈÎfi˜ Angiollelo (1470), ÁÚ¿ÊÂÈ ÛÙÔ ËÌÂÚÔÏfiÁÈfi ÙÔ˘ fiÙÈ ‚Ú›ÛÎÂÈ Ù· οÛÙÚ· Ù˘ fiÏ˘ ¤ÚËÌ·. ∂‰Ò ¤¯Ô˘ÌÂ Î·È ÙËÓ ÚÒÙË ·Ó·ÊÔÚ¿ ÙÔ˘ ÙÔˆÓ‡ÌÈÔ˘ ∫·‚¿Ï·.

√ ∂‚ÏÈ¿ ΔÛÂÏÂÌ‹ ÙÔ 1667, ÂÚÈÁÚ¿ÊÂÈ ÁÏ·Ê˘Ú¿ ¤Ó· ÊÚÔ‡ÚÈÔ «Ô˘ ¤¯ÂÈ ÙÔ Û¯‹Ì· ·Ì˘Á‰¿ÏÔ˘…». ÕÏϘ ÛËÌ·ÓÙÈΤ˜ ·Ó·ÊÔÚ¤˜ Â›Ó·È ÂΛӘ ÙÔ˘ Robert de Creux (1669),ÙÔ˘ Cousinery ÙÔ 1786, Î·È ÙÔ˘ μ. ¡ÈÎÔÏ·˝‰Ë (19Ô˜ ·ÈÒÓ·˜).


™‹ÌÂÚ·, ÙÔ Î·Ï¿ Û˘ÓÙËÚË̤ÓÔ Î¿ÛÙÚÔ Ù˘ ∫·‚¿Ï·˜ ·ÔÙÂÏ› fiÏÔ ¤Ï͢ ¯ÈÏÈ¿‰ˆÓ ÂÈÛÎÂÙÒÓ Î¿ı ¯ÚfiÓÔ. ∂ÈÛÙ‹ÌÔÓ˜, ÊÔÈÙËÙ¤˜, Ì·ıËÙ¤˜ Î·È ·ÏÔ› ÙÔ˘Ú›ÛÙ˜ ·' fiÏÔ ÙÔÓ ÎfiÛÌÔ ·ÏÏ¿ Î·È ∫·‚·ÏÈÒÙ˜ οı ËÏÈΛ·˜ ÙÔ ÂÈÛΤÙÔÓÙ·È ÁÈ· Ó· Ù·Íȉ¤„Ô˘Ó ›Ûˆ ÛÙÔ ¯ÚfiÓÔ, Ó· ·ÔÏ·‡ÛÔ˘Ó ÙËÓ ÌÔÓ·‰È΋ ı¤·, Ó· ·Ú·ÎÔÏÔ˘ı‹ÛÔ˘Ó ÙȘ ÂΉËÏÒÛÂȘ Ô˘ Á›ÓÔÓÙ·È ÛÙÔ ˘·›ıÚÈÔ ı¤·ÙÚÔ ÙÔ˘, Ó· ı·˘Ì¿ÛÔ˘Ó ÙȘ ÂÎı¤ÛÂȘ Ô˘ ÊÈÏÔÍÂÓÔ‡ÓÙ·È ÛÙÔ˘˜ ˘fiÏÔÈÔ˘˜ ¯ÒÚÔ˘˜ ÙÔ˘ ηÈ

Ó· ÍÂÎÔ˘Ú·ÛÙÔ‡Ó ÛÙÔ ·Ó·„˘ÎÙ‹ÚÈfi ÙÔ˘. ΔfiÔ˜ Ô˘ Ûʇ˙ÂÈ ·fi ˙ˆ‹ ÁÈ· ¿ÏÏË Ì›· ÊÔÚ¿ ÛÙËÓ Ì·ÎÚfi¯ÚÔÓË ÈÛÙÔÚ›· ÙÔ˘, ÙÔ Î¿ÛÙÚÔ ·ÔÙÂÏ› ·fi ÌfiÓÔ ÙÔ˘ ÏfiÁÔ Â›Û΄˘ ÛÙËÓ ∫·‚¿Ï· Î·È Û˘Ì‚¿ÏÏÂÈ ‰˘Ó·ÌÈο ÛÙËÓ ÔÏÈÙÈÛÙÈ΋ Î·È ÔÈÎÔÓÔÌÈ΋ ˙ˆ‹ ÙÔ˘ ÙfiÔ˘.

Today, the well-maintained castle of Kavala is a magnet for thousands of visitors. Scholars, college and school students, tourists from all over the world and locals of all ages visit for a voyage backwards through time, to enjoy the unique view, attend events in the outdoor theater, admire the exhibitions and relax in the refreshment area. With its long history and teeming with life once more, the castle alone is reason enough to visit Kavala: a dynamic contribution to the city's cultural and economic life.


5 6 4

3 7&8 3 > ΢ÏÈÓ‰ÚÈÎfi˜ ‡ÚÁÔ˜ 4 > ˘fiÁÂÈ· ‰ÂÍ·ÌÂÓ‹ ÓÂÚÔ‡ 5 > Î·Ù¿Ï˘ÌÌ· ÊÚÔ˘Ú¿˜ 6 > ·Ôı‹ÎË ˘ÚÔÌ·¯ÈÎÒÓ Î·È ÙÚÔÊ›ÌˆÓ 7 > μ∞ ÎÔÚÙ›Ó· 8 > ‡ÏË ÂÈÎÔÈÓˆÓ›·˜



Κάστρο Καβάλας