2012 Australian Grand Dairy Awards Best of the Best Cookbook
Published by Dairy Australia Limited Level 5, 60 City Road Southbank Victoria 3006 Australia ACN 105 227 987 First published 2012 ÂŠDairy Australia 2012 Consumer Line 1800 817 736 email@example.com This brochure may only be photocopied or reproduced with the permission of Dairy Australia Limited. ISBN 978-0-9872385-2-8
Recipe Development, Prop and Food Styling Amanda Menegazzo and Pam Tannourji Photography Michael Long Photography Concept Design and Art Direction Ckaos Thanks to Wheel & Barrow and Mud Australia for some of the props used throughout this publication
The Australian Grand Dairy Awards were established in 1999 to recognise the ‘best of the best’ in Australian dairy produce. The awards celebrate outstanding achievement and recognise emerging talent in the dairy industry. A prestigious Australian Grand Dairy Award represents quality, excellence and innovation in Australian dairy produce. Look out for the Australian Grand Dairy Awards' blue and gold medals on pack as your sign of quality and good taste. In this cookbook, Dairy Australia proudly presents the 19 Australian Grand Dairy Award winning products for 2012. Complemented with simple ingredients that allow the products to shine, these recipes and ideas are designed to inspire creativity and demonstrate how you can enjoy Australia’s 'best of the best' in dairy produce in your own home. Developed and tested in The Dairy Kitchen at Dairy Australia, we know you’ll love these recipes as much as we do!
Twice Baked Cheddar Soufflé with Grapes and Walnuts Maffra Cloth Aged Cheddar Makes: 6 Preparation Time: 40 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes + chilling time
melted butter, for brushing plain flour, for dusting 50g butter, extra 1/3 cup plain flour 1 cup milk 150g grated Maffra Cloth Aged Cheddar 3 large eggs, separated 2/3 cup thickened cream 3/4 cup red seedless grapes, quartered 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts 2 tablespoons chives snipped into 2cm lengths 2 tablespoons vincotto or balsamic glaze
1. Lightly brush 6 x 125ml capacity oven-proof ramekins or teacups with butter and dust with flour, discarding any excess. 2. Melt remaining butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat and stir in half the cheese and egg yolks. 3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the cheese mixture until just combined. Divide mixture between the moulds and place into a deep baking dish half filled with boiling water. Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool to room temperature (soufflés will deflate). Invert soufflés onto a baking paper lined tray and chill until required. 4. To serve, pour cream over each soufflé and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 180°C for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Lift soufflés onto individual serving plates, top with grapes, walnuts and chives, drizzle with vincotto and serve immediately. Note: These soufflés can be completed to the end of step 3, 2 days in advance and finished just before serving.
2012 Grand Champion Cheese Maffra Cloth Aged Cheddar This iconic Australian cheddar is aged traditionally in cloth for 18 months to 2 years. It has a moist and crumbly texture with slightly sweet and fruity upfront flavours, balanced by complex savoury after-tones.
Caramelised Peach with Sparkling Jelly and Double Cream Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream Serves: 6 Preparation Time: 15 minutes + 3 hours setting time Cooking Time: 10 minutes
750ml pink sparkling wine 1/2 cup caster sugar 3 teaspoons gelatine 3 large fresh peaches 1/4 cup caster sugar, extra 300ml Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream
1. Heat 500ml sparkling wine and caster sugar in a small saucepan stirring until sugar dissolves, bring to a gentle boil for 1 minute. 2. Remove from heat, sprinkle gelatine over the mixture and gently whisk until dissolved. Whisk in remaining sparkling wine and pour into 6 serving glasses. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours until set. 3. Cut the cheeks off each peach and press cut surface firmly into extra caster sugar. Place sugar-side down in a hot non-stick frypan for 1-2 minutes until sugar is caramelised and golden. Cool for 5-10 minutes at room temperature before serving. 4. Serve jellies topped with a peach cheek and a generous dollop of cream.
2012 Grand Champion Dairy Product Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream Made from milk sourced from the green pastures of Victoriaâ€™s dairy heartland, Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream is the real thing; simply pure, unadulterated cream. Milky sweet and deliciously velvety, the thickness of this cream makes it the natural accompaniment to desserts.
Monet, Beetroot and Pickled Radish Garden Salad Woodside Monet Serves: 4-6 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes
500g mixed coloured baby beetroot extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling 1 stem lemongrass, white portion only, thinly sliced 2 teaspoons olive oil 1/2 cup water 1/3 cup red wine vinegar 2 tablespoons sugar salt, to taste 4 radishes, thinly sliced 50g curly endive or mixed lettuce 1x125g Woodside Monet
Miso and Ginger Butter with Sashimi and Soba Noodles Tatura Continental Unsalted Butter Serves: 4 Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
1 sachet instant miso paste 100ml boiling water 100g Tatura Continental Unsalted Butter 1 spring onion 2 slices fresh ginger 1 teaspoon sushi soy sauce 200g buckwheat or green tea soba noodles, cooked, drained and chilled 4 baby radishes, thinly sliced black sesame seeds and baby shiso leaves (optional) platter of assorted sashimi*, for serving
1. Combine miso, 100ml boiling water, butter, spring onion, ginger and soy in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until melted and smooth, cook stirring for 1 minute without boiling. Strain into a small jug. 2. Arrange cold noodles in individual bowls, top with radish, shiso and sprinkle with sesame seeds. 3. To serve, arrange sashimi and miso butter in the centre of the table and allow guests to pour warm miso butter over their own noodles and sashimi to taste. Note: *You can purchase sashimi platters from most sushi houses.
1. Halve beetroot, drizzle with oil, cover with foil and bake at 200Â°C for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool to room temperature. 2. SautĂŠ lemongrass in oil for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add water, vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced, season to taste. Pour over radishes and cool completely. 3. To serve, toss endive with 2 tablespoons of the vinegar mixture and arrange on a serving platter, scatter with beetroot and radishes. Crumble cheese on top and drizzle with oil.
Stormy Figs with Honey and Walnuts King Island Dairy Stormy Makes: 12 Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
6 large ripe figs 175g King Island Dairy Stormy, at room temperature 1/4 cup honey 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1. Cut each fig in half and place on a serving platter. If required, trim a small slice off the base of each fig half so that it sits straight. 2. Cut cheese into 12 slices and drape one slice over each fig half. 3. Just before serving, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately.
Spiced Oatcakes with Camembert and Sour Cherries Tasmanian Heritage Signature Camembert Serves: 8 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
2 cups oat bran 1/2 cup plain flour 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon mixed spice 1 tablespoon brown sugar 75g butter, softened 1/2 cup water 1 wheel ripe Tasmanian Heritage Signature Camembert, at room temperature, for serving Greek sour cherries in syrup* or chopped fresh cherries, for serving
1. Combine oat bran, flour, baking powder, salt, spice and sugar in a large bowl. 2. Heat butter and water in a small saucepan until just melted, stir into dry ingredients using a metal spoon. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead mixture until pliable. 3. Divide dough into 3 portions and roll out each portion to a 5mm thickness. Using a 5cm fluted cutter, cut out biscuits and transfer to a baking paper lined oven tray. 4. Bake oatcakes at 180째C for 15-20 minutes or until just golden and transfer to a wire rack for cooling. 5. Serve oatcakes topped with a wedge of cheese and a sour cherry. Note: *Greek sour cherries in syrup are available in jars from continental delicatessens and specialty food stores. Store leftover oatcakes in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
New York Reuben Tasmanian Heritage St Claire Serves: 4 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
6 large dill pickles or gherkins 1/4 cup good quality mayonnaise 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 1 cup drained sauerkraut salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste butter, for spreading 8 thick slices rye and caraway bread 250g thinly sliced corned beef or silverside 4 thick slices Tasmanian Heritage St Claire
1. Finely dice 2 pickles and combine with mayonnaise, mustard and sauerkraut, season to taste. 2. Lightly butter bread on both sides and sandwich with sauerkraut, beef and cheese. 3. Grill in a sandwich press until golden and warm and serve with remaining pickles.
Burrata, Zucchini and Mint Pappardelle That's Amore Burrata Serves: 4 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 6 spring onions, sliced 2 anchovies 2 large zucchini, julienned salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 375g fresh lasagne sheets 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn 2 That's Amore Burrata
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick frypan. Add spring onions, anchovies and zucchini, season to taste. SautĂŠ over medium heat until zucchini is tender and fragrant. 2. Cut lasagne sheets into 2cm thick strips along the shortest edge to make short pappardelle. Cook in salted boiling water until al dente, drain. Immediately transfer pasta into the frypan with sauce and toss over medium heat for 1 minute until glossy and silky. Toss in mint and a grinding of black pepper. 3. Arrange pasta in a large serving dish, top with Burrata and drizzle with remaining oil. At the table, break the Burrata and lightly toss the cream and mozzarella through the pasta to coat.
Labna with Fennel and Sea Salt, Toasted Seeds and Baby Vegetables Barambah Organics Labna with Fennel and Sea Salt Serves: 4-6 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
1 tablespoon pepitas 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds 1 tablespoon sesame seeds 2 teaspoons poppy seeds 200g Barambah Organics Labna with Fennel and Sea Salt assorted baby vegetables (e.g. cherry tomatoes, radishes, baby carrots and cucumbers) crusty bread, for serving
Warm Duck, Honeyed Pear and Blue Salad
1. Place seeds onto a baking paper lined oven tray and roast at 200°C for 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
King Island Dairy Roaring Forties Blue
2. To serve, arrange labna on a serving board, drizzle with accompanying oil and scatter with toasted seeds.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
3. Serve with baby vegetables and crusty bread.
2 pears, each cut into 8 wedges 1 large red onion, cut into 10 wedges 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 tablespoons honey 2 duck breasts 2 witlof, leaves separated and washed 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1 teaspoon honey, extra 100g King Island Dairy Roaring Forties Blue, thinly sliced 5 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Arrange pear and onion on a baking paper lined oven tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and season to taste. Roast at 180°C for 20 minutes, drizzle with honey and roast for a further 10 minutes, until tender and glossy. Cool slightly. 2. Season skin side of each duck breast and place skin side down into a dry frypan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until fat has rendered and skin is golden brown, turn and brown the other side for 1 minute. Transfer to a 180°C oven for 5-7 minutes, until medium-rare. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing each breast into 4 thick slices. 3. Arrange witlof, onion, warm pears and duck on a large serving platter. Whisk remaining oil, vinegar, mustard and extra honey together and pour over salad. Flake cheese slices over the salad and sprinkle with fresh thyme. Note: If witlof is unavailable try using radicchio.
Farro, Artichoke, Lemon and Pecorino Romano Salad Puglia Pecorino Romano Serves: 4-6 as a side salad Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 cup farro* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar 1 tablespoon finely sliced preserved lemon rind (pith and flesh discarded) 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1/4 teaspoon caster sugar 1 small clove garlic, bruised with the back of a knife salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 6 char-grilled preserved artichokes, quartered 1/2 cup green olives, cheeks sliced off and pips discarded 1/4 cup chopped flat-leafed parsley wedge Puglia Pecorino Romano, for shaving 1/4 cup toasted natural almonds, roughly chopped
Spice Rubbed Lamb Ribs with Mint and Lemon Yoghurt Mundella Premium Natural Yoghurt Serves: 4 Preparation time: 30 minutes + marinating time Cooking time: 2 hours + 15 minutes cooling time
1 tablespoon ground cumin 2 teaspoons dried oregano 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes 1/3 cup olive oil 4 x 4 point lamb ribs 1 1/2 cups Mundella Premium Natural Yoghurt finely grated rind of 1 lemon 1 tablespoon finely shredded mint lemon cheeks and mint leaves, for serving
1. Combine cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic, salt and oil to form a paste and rub over the ribs to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 2. Place ribs in a baking paper lined roasting dish, cover with foil and roast at 140째C for 2 hours. Cool to room temperature and chill until completely cold. 3. Cut ribs between each bone to separate. Arrange in a single layer in a baking paper lined roasting tray and roast at 220째C for 15 minutes or until crispy. 4. Combine yoghurt, lemon rind and mint in a serving bowl. Serve hot ribs with minted yoghurt, lemon cheeks and extra mint leaves.
1. Cook farro in salted boiling water for 30 minutes or until tender but still chewy. Drain, rinse and cool. 2. Shake oil, vinegar, preserved lemon, mustard, sugar, garlic and seasonings in a jar to combine. Stand for 5 minutes to infuse before discarding the garlic. 3. Combine farro, artichokes, olives, parsley and dressing in a large bowl. Shave cheese liberally over the salad and sprinkle with almonds. Note: *Farro is available at specialty and health food stores. Substitute with barley, coarse burghul or risoni. Preserved lemon can be substituted with the grated rind of half a fresh lemon.
Minted Milk Granita with Vanilla Roasted Rhubarb Pura Original Milk Serves: 4 Preparation time: 20 minutes + 4 hours freezing time Cooking time: 25 minutes + cooling time
500ml Pura Original Milk 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint 1 bunch rhubarb, cut into 5cm lengths 3/4 cup caster sugar, extra 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste 3/4 cup orange juice
1. Combine milk and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cool slightly, stir in mint and pour into a shallow container, cover and freeze for 1-2 hours. Using a fork, flake mixture to break up any ice crystals. Freeze for a further 3 hours, flaking another 1-2 times, until frozen. 2. Place rhubarb into a baking paper lined oven-proof dish and sprinkle with extra sugar. Pour over combined vanilla bean paste and orange juice and roast at 170Â°C for 20 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender. Cool and refrigerate until required. 3. To serve, spoon rhubarb and syrup into serving glasses. Using a fork, "rake" over the frozen granita mixture to make snow-like flakes. Spoon granita onto the rhubarb and serve immediately.
Chocolate and Pistachio Ice Cream Cake with Hot Chocolate Sauce Cocolat Pistachio Ice Cream Serves: 8-10 Preparation time: 30 minutes + chilling time Cooking time: 1 hourÂ
250g dark chocolate 250g butter 1/3 cup milk 3 eggs 3/4 cup caster sugar 3/4 cup self-raising flour 1/3 cup cocoa powder 1/2 cup creme fraiche or thickened cream 100g dark chocolate, extra 750ml Cocolat Pistachio Ice Cream
1. Gently melt chocolate, butter and milk together in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. 2. Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until thick and pale then gently fold in chocolate mixture. Sift flour and cocoa over the batter and gently fold to combine. 3. Pour mixture into buttered, side and base lined 23cm cake pan and bake at 160Â°C for 45-50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool for 5 minutes in pan before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice cake in half using a serrated knife. Refrigerate until chilled. 4. For Hot Chocolate Sauce, heat creme fraiche in a small saucepan until just simmering. Remove from heat and stir in extra chocolate until melted and smooth. 5. Just before serving, place bottom half of cake onto a serving platter, scoop ice cream onto the cake and sandwich with remaining cake. At the table smother the cake in some of the warm sauce. Slice and serve immediately with extra sauce.
Banana and Salted Caramel Sundae Caffe ĂŠ Gelato Milany Banana Gelato Serves: 4 Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 cup sugar 1/2 cup water 3/4 cup thickened cream 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes 100g dark chocolate, melted 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes, extra 12 scoops Caffe ĂŠ Gelato Milany Banana Gelato
1. For salted caramel: Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, without boiling until sugar dissolves. Stop stirring and bring to the boil. Continue boiling until mixture turns deep amber in colour, remove from heat and quickly stir in cream and salt. Pour sauce into a sterilised jar and seal. Refrigerate until required. 2. For Peanut Shards, pour melted chocolate onto a baking paper lined tray and spread thinly. Sprinkle with peanuts and salt and refrigerate until set. Break into small shards. 3. To serve, place 3 scoops banana gelato into 4 sundae dishes, smother with salted caramel and stud with peanut shards.
Warm Rum Spiked Egg Nog Oak Egg Nog Serves: 4 Cooking time: 5 minutes
600ml Oak Egg Nog 2 tablespoons dark rum freshly grated nutmeg, for serving 1. Warm egg nog in a saucepan until hot. Remove from heat and vigorously whisk in rum until frothy. 2. Pour into glasses, top with freshly grated nutmeg and serve immediately.
Cinnamon Cappuccino Freddo Sungold O' Frothy One Serves: 4 Preparation time: 5 minutes
8 fresh shots espresso coffee sugar, to taste, if desired ice, for serving 600ml chilled Sungold O' Frothy One cinnamon, for dusting
1. Sweeten espresso with sugar to taste and cool slightly. 2. Place a couple of ice cubes into each serving glass and pour in espresso. 3. Foam the milk using a stick blender, manual frother or frappé machine. Top espresso with cold foamed milk and dust with cinammon.
Deluxe Raspberry Chocolate Lamingtons King Island Dairy Belgian Chocolate Crème Dessert Serves: 6 Preparation time: 40 minutes + 10 minutes setting time Cooking time: 5 minutes
225g unfilled sponge slab 100g dark cooking chocolate, chopped 1/3 cup cocoa 50g butter 2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted 1/2 cup milk 2 1/2 cups toasted shredded coconut 200g tub King Island Dairy Belgian Chocolate Crème Dessert 2 punnets raspberries
1. Cut sponge into 6 squares (approx 6x6cm). Slice each square in half horizontally to make 12 thin squares. 2. Melt chocolate, cocoa, butter, icing sugar and milk in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cool to room temperature. 3. Coat cake squares in chocolate and toss in toasted coconut. Place onto a baking paper lined tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes. 4. To serve, sandwich two cake squares together with crème dessert and fresh raspberries. Serve immediately. Note: This recipe can be completed to the end of step 3, 2 days in advance and assembled at the last minute.
Toasted Granola Clusters with Blueberry Yogurt Gippsland Dairy Blueberry Twist Yogurt Serves: 4 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
2 cups rolled oats 1/4 cup pepitas 1/3 cup shredded coconut 1 teaspoon mixed spice 1/3 cup flaked almonds 1/3 cup pecan nuts, chopped 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1/3 cup honey 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste 2/3 cup chopped dried fruit (cranberries, apricots and figs) 1 x 500g tub Gippsland Dairy Blueberry Twist Yogurt, for serving fresh or frozen raspberries, for serving
2012 Australian Grand Dairy Awards Winners
1. Combine oats, pepitas, coconut, mixed spice, nuts and oil in a large bowl. Stir honey and vanilla bean paste in a saucepan over low heat for 3 minutes until bubbling. Pour into dry ingredients and stir to coat. 2. Spread mixture in a thin layer on a large baking paper lined oven tray. Cook at 160째C for approximately 30-40 minutes stirring 2-3 times during cooking until golden and crunchy. Cool completely before stirring in dried fruit. 3. To serve, spoon granola into serving glasses, top with yogurt and raspberries. Note: Recipe makes 4 cups of granola, any leftover can be kept in an airtight container for 3-4 weeks.
2012 Grand Champion Cheese Maffra Cloth Aged Cheddar Awarded to the highest scoring product across all cheese classes.
2012 Grand Champion Dairy Product Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream Awarded to the highest scoring product across all dairy classes.
2012 Champion Cheeses
2012 Champion Dairy Products
Champion Butter or Butter Blend
Tatura Continental Unsalted Butter
Champion Fresh Unripened Cheese
Champion Cheddar-Style Cheese
Champion Washed Rind Cheese
Champion Flavoured Yogurt
Champion Dairy Dessert
Champion Flavoured Dairy Drink
That's Amore Burrata
Maffra Cloth Aged Cheddar
King Island Dairy Stormy
Gippsland Dairy Blueberry Twist Yogurt
King Island Dairy Belgian Chocolate Crème Dessert
Oak Egg Nog
Champion White Mould Cheese
Champion Hard Cheese
Champion Flavoured Cheese
Champion Ice Cream
Tasmanian Heritage Signature Camembert
Puglia Pecorino Romano
Barambah Organics Labna with Fennel and Sea Salt
Cocolat Pistachio Ice Cream
Pura Original Milk
Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream
Champion Semi-Hard and Eye Cheese
Champion Blue Cheese
Champion Goat’s or Sheep’s Milk Cheese
Champion Dairy Gelato
Champion Specialty White Dairy Drink
Champion Natural Yogurt
Tasmanian Heritage St Claire
King Island Dairy Roaring Forties Blue
Caffe é Gelato Milany Banana Gelato
Sungold O' Frothy One
Mundella Premium Natural Yoghurt* * Spelt as per manufacturer packaging