The Daily Orange needs your help! This is your chance to tell us what you want to see in Syracuse’s independent newspaper. The survey will take about 5-10 minutes to complete. Please note that your responses will remain anonymous and participation in the survey is voluntary. Answer the following questions to the best of your ability, keeping in mind that your answers will affect and help improve The Daily Orange. 1. How many times per week do you read The Daily Orange print edition? Never Once a week A few times per week Almost every day 2. How often do you visit dailyorange. com? Never Once a week A few times per week Almost every day 3. If you answered “never” to either question 1 or 2, why?
4. Are there any areas where you feel The Daily Orange is not available, but should be? Where?
5. Rate the following sections based on how often you read them. 1=Never, 2=Rarely, 3=Sometimes, 4=Often. _____News _____Pulp (entertainment and feature) _____Sports _____Opinion _____Puzzles _____Comics 6. Which of the following is useful to you? (check all that apply) _____Daily Orange Classiﬁeds (apartments for rent, help wanted, items for sale) _____Advertisements for local businesses _____Advertisements for speciﬁc products _____Coupons and discounts _____None of the above 7. Of the following, which are you most interested in reading about in The Daily Orange? (Check all that apply.) _____Student life (greek life, student organizations, student/professor proﬁles) _____On-campus events (performances, guest speakers, etc) _____Off-campus events (performances, weekend trips, festivals, art galleries, etc) _____Other college (non-SU) news _____Nightlife and restaurants _____Sex/relationships _____Advice _____Gossip/society news _____Pop culture (movies, television, music, celebrities) _____Fashion _____Health and science _____Business _____Technology (gadgets, video games, computers, etc.) _____Politics _____International news _____Division I sports (football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s lacrosse, etc.) _____Club sports (track, soccer, rugby, ultimate Frisbee, etc.) _____Extreme or outdoor sports _____Classiﬁeds _____Crime briefs _____Puzzles and comics _____Other ____________
8. Are there any topics you feel are underrepresented in The Daily Orange? Which?
9. How often do you use the following sources of information? 1=Never, 2=Rarely, 3=Sometimes, 4=Often _____Newspapers _____Magazines _____Television _____Radio _____Blogs _____Internet (online search, websites) _____Advertisements _____Social media _____Friends (word of mouth) 10. Which of the following newspapers do you read on a regular basis? (Check all that apply) _____Syracuse Post-Standard _____USA Today _____The Syracuse New Times _____The New York Times _____Other____________________ _____None of the above 11. What content would you be interested in viewing on dailyorange. com? (Check all that apply) _____Videos _____Photo galleries _____Polls _____Blogs _____Opinions _____Other____________________ 12. Would you be interested in viewing The Daily Orange’s content on your mobile device? Yes No I don’t know 13. Which mobile device do you use? (iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, etc.) iPhone BlackBerry Android Other____________________ 14. Check which of the following (if either) you are interested in: _____SU breaking news sent via text message _____SU sports scores sent via text message _____Neither 15. How many times per week do you go off campus? (Not including Marshall St.) Almost never 1-2 3-4 5 or more 16. How many times in the last month have you visited each of the following places? _____Westcott St. _____Downtown Syracuse _____Marshall St. _____Erie Blvd. _____Nottingham St. (Tops Supermarket and surrounding area) _____Shoppingtown Mall _____Carousel Mall _____Out-of-town location___________ _____Other_________________________
Complete the survey for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Tops Supermarket! Return by Nov. 12, 2010 to one of the following locations: 1) Table in Schine Student Center Atrium: 10am-4pm; Nov. 1, 4, 8, 9, & 11. 2) The Daily Orange Ofﬁce: 744 Ostrom Ave, Syracuse, NY 13210. 3) Submit online: survey.dailyorange.com
17. List the top 5 businesses, including Marshall St., you visit in the Syracuse area
18.List the top 5 businesses, other than those on Marshall St., you visit in the Syracuse area
19. Estimate how much money you spend per month on the following categories: _____Groceries _____Restaurants (take-out or eat in) _____Gas _____Liquor (bought or consumed at parties) _____Bars _____Entertainment (movies, concerts, etc.) _____Apparel _____Beauty products/toiletry items _____Dorm/apartment furnishings _____Other________ 20. Indicate your agreement with the following statements. Strongly Disagree
I usually buy whatever I need and want. I buy the things I need, and sometimes the things I want. I buy essential items and rarely non-essentials. I only buy things I need. 21. I eat out _____ times per week 0 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 More than 8 (How many?_____)
27. What is your age? Under 18 18-20 21-23 24-26 Over 26 Prefer not to answer
22. I cook meals _____ times per week 0 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 More than 8 (How many?_____)
28. Where do you live? Main Campus South Campus Fraternity/sorority house Off campus within Syracuse area Outside Syracuse area Other
23. I eat in a dining hall/campus café _____ times per week 0 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 More than 8 (How many?_____) 24. What is your class/university status? Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior Graduate student SU faculty/staff Local resident Other____________________ 25.Major or SU Job Title_____________________ 26. What is your gender? Male Female Other
29.If you live off campus, would you read The Daily Orange more often if it were delivered to your door? Yes No I don’t know 30. Do you have a car on campus? Yes No 31. If you were part of the general management of The Daily Orange, what changes would you make to the newspaper?
Thank you for completing the survey! Please detach and return this section separately for a chance to win a $100 gift card for Tops Supermarket! Email_____________________