Theodore Roosevelt John Muir
Context Sensitive Paving Materials for
Context Sensitive Paving Materials for
he jointless flexible pavement surfacing is a signature feature of the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site with its natural aggregate coloration for a historically appropriate aesthetic, often seen by visitors as unpaved in appearance. The coldmanufactured and cold-applied NaturalPAVEÂŽ XL Resin Pavementâ„˘ is a non-toxic pavement technology developed by Soil Stabilization Products Company, Inc. (SSPCo) as an alternative to asphalt and concrete pavements. Designers specify NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mixtures for their projects based upon a variety of reasons, including environmentally
friendly composition and construction process, natural aesthetic, historically appropriate appearance, thermal resistance and solar reflectivity to combat Urban Heat Island effect and its beauty as an architectural feature complementing the landscape or built structures. NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mixtures are also typically stronger and more flexible than standard hot mix asphalt pavement mixtures, so designers can know they are upgrading their projects in regards to pavement quality as well as aesthetic and environmental quality concerns.
FORT VANCOUVER WASHINGTON ESTABLISHED 1824
The National Park Service has improved accessibility by installing multi-purpose all-weather pavements at the reconstructed Hudson Bay Company post at the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver, Washington. Starting in 2002 with their first installation of the NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement surfacing for walkways surrounding the reconstructed buildings within the fort, the pavement system has since been expanded throughout the fort and exterior gardens out to the city street, the visitor parking lots and to the site of the historical Kanaka workers village outside the fort. The NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix selected for the project is formulated with aggregate materials of earthy brown coloration to provide the look of dirt paths historically present when Hudson Bay Company employees of the 1830s and 1840s occupied the site. To visually blend the installations from the various paving phases inside and outside the fort, and to present a roughened and even more historically appropriate appearance, the same NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix was reformulated as a slurry seal and applied with squeegees and brooms once all the paving phases were completed.
The pavements for the adjacent Vancouver Land Bridge project were constructed with the same NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix, furnishing a visual continuity for both of these related projects. The Vancouver Land Bridge reconnects historic Vancouver with the Columbia River, arching over Washington State Route 14 and under a railroad embankment to a site on the waterfront where a wharf once stood. In the eight year period since the National Park Service installed their first section of NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement walkways within Fort Vancouver, there has been an average of 32 days per year when freezing temperatures were experienced and approximately two days per year when temperatures were at or below freezing for the entire day. The record low temperature of -10째F occurred during this period of time. The rainfall for Vancouver, Washington, averages approximately 42 inches per year. In spite of the high number of freeze-thaw cycles experienced and the wet weather conditions, the high strength NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement installations are without sign of wear or damage after eight years in service.
VANCOUVER LAND BRIDGE WASHINGTON ESTABLISHED 1824
The Vancouver Land Bridge is a 40-foot-wide pedestrian bridge that arches over State Route 14 and under a railroad embankment in Vancouver, Washington. The bridge and accessible trail system reconnect historic Fort Vancouver, the reconstructed fort of the Hudson Bay Company, with a park on the Columbia River waterfront where a wharf once stood. Fort Vancouver was built on the site 20 years after Lewis and Clark passed by, and for a time was one of the busiest ports on the West Coast. The Vancouver Land Bridge also serves as a link in the regional Discovery Trail System. It was designed as part of a collaborative effort known as the Confluence Project under the direction of artist and designer Maya Lin. Commemorating the history of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the tremendous changes it brought to the region, the Confluence Project is comprised of seven art installations along the Columbia River Basin. The Confluence Project was initiated by a group of Pacific Northwest Native American tribes and civic groups from Washington and Oregon and budgeted at $27 million. The construction of the Vancouver Land Bridge segment was a joint effort of the Confluence Project, the City of Vancouver, the Washington State Department of Transportation and the National Park Service.
The NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mixture selected for surfacing the Vancouver Land Bridge incorporates the same aggregate material as the NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mixtures utilized for accessible trail paving inside and outside the adjacent Fort Vancouver National Historic Site. The National Park Service initiated the accessible trail-paving program in 2002 at Fort Vancouver. The use of the same NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mixture for the Land Bridge project provides visual continuity and connection from the historical setting at the Fort to the park on the Columbia River shoreline and the historical location of the Fort Vancouver Wharf. The Land Bridge provides panoramic views of the Pacific Northwest landscape and over half the width of the semicircular, 40-foot-wide bridge is covered by planting beds that contain more than 100 native species. Landscape designers referred to the descriptions and drawings of plants in the journals of Lewis and Clark in making their plant selections.
BIG SPRINGS NEVADA ESTABLISHED 1855
Springs Preserve Big Springâ€™s is considered to be the birthplace of the City of Las Vegas. Now known as the Springs Preserve, it was once the site of a lush oasis and meadow, the result of erupting underground springs. The Anasazi, the Paiutes, the Spanish and John C. Fremont all inhabited or visited this site. Mormon missionaries established a fort in Las Vegas in 1855 along a creek that flowed from the Springs. In addition to a new Nevada State Museum, the Springs Preserve has a visitor center focused on the fascinating cultural history of the Las Vegas Valley and the possibilities for its future, a desert learning center educating people about sustainable living, a large amphitheater for outdoor concerts and gatherings, meeting facilities and event spaces, botanical gardens featuring Mojave desert vegetation, wetlands, picnic shelters and miles of NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement installations that include a trail outside the fenced Springs Preserve area and interior access roads for vehicular and truck traffic.
The Springs Preserve buildings and site design feature green building techniques intended to raise awareness of the newest breakthroughs in sustainable design. The buildings were designed to achieve â€œPlatinumâ€? status from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. The NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement installations meet all pavement engineering requirements and utilize aggregate materials closely matched to the coloration of the native desert soils and caliche rock at the Springs Preserve site. The non-toxic pavement formulation satisfies water quality protection measures, and the high albedo surfaces qualify as cool pavements, being both solar reflective and more thermally resistant than concrete. In Las Vegas, summertime temperatures can reach very hot 120Â° Fahrenheit temperatures. Solar reflective thermally resistant pavements reduce building air conditioning loads and energy use and Urban Heat Island Effect.
JOHN MUIR HOUSE CALIFORNIA ESTABLISHED 1882
The recent renovation work at the John Muir National Historic Site, the family home of the man widely regarded as the Father of the National Park Service, included the use of NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavements for roads and pathways around the house. The home was built by John Muirâ€™s father-in-law in 1882 and on his passing in 1890 became the Muir family home until Muirâ€™s death in 1914. Project designers selected a NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix formulated with earth colored aggregate materials to provide visitors with an unpaved appearance, fitting for a time period preceding the use of asphalt and concrete pavement. Based upon the higher strength of the NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mixture in comparison to hot mix asphalt pavement materials, the design engineer substituted three inches of NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement surfacing in place of the four inch thickness required by the asphalt pavement design. The Muir home was once the headquarters for a prosperous fruit growing ranch that included 2,600 agricultural acres. John Muir focused solely on fruit ranching from 1882 to 1887 when his wife convinced him to return to his conservation work, writing and traveling.
On the property of the John Muir National Historic Site in Martinez, California, is a home from an earlier period known as the Martinez Adobe. Built in 1849, the year of the California Gold Rush, this was the home of Vicente J. Martinez, the son of Don Ygnacio Martinez, a Spanish officer who was posted at the Presidio de San Diego and the Presidio de Santa Barbara before becoming the Commandante of El Presidio de San Francisco and then the Alcalde, or Mayor, of San Francisco. He retired with his family to El Pueblo de San Jose Guadalupe, the location today of the City of San Jose where he died in 1848. The Martinez Adobe was constructed on a portion of a 17,000 acre Mexican Land Grant, a portion of which was later owned by John Muirâ€™s father-in-law and then John Muir himself, and developed as a ranch with huge fruit and nut orchards and vineyards. The Martinez Adobe today is accessed by roads and trails that are paved with a NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix formulated with an aggregate blend of earthy coloration that reduces the visual impact of the allweather pavements at this historical site
RANCHO LA BREA ADOBE CALIFORNIA ESTABLISHED 1828
The world famous La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, California, just off Wilshire Boulevard, were once part a Mexican Land Grant known as Rancho La Brea. Construction of an adobe home and ranch headquarters started in 1828. Over the years its ownership passed through many hands and it connects with a fascinating amount of local history. By 1880 the Gilmore family had purchased the property and were operating a dairy, while surrounded by the beginnings of an oil drilling boom that would soon make them the owners of the largest independent oil company in the western United States. Known today as the Gilmore Adobe and operated as the private office of the Gilmore family business, the beautifully preserved and tree shaded building is surrounded by walkways and parking areas paved with a NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix complementary to the earth tone coloration of the Adobe and visually appropriate for the historical setting.
CALIFORNIA EL PRESIDIO DE SANTA BARBARA
Founded in 1782, El Presidio de Santa Barbara was the last in a chain of four military fortresses built by the Spanish along the coast of Alta California, following the construction of the Presidios of San Diego, San Francisco and Monterey. Padre Junipero Serra blessed the site of the El Presidio de Santa Barbara four years prior to the construction of Mission Santa Barbara. The Presidios acted as both military headquarters and governmental center and protected the missions against attack. El Presidio de Santa Barbara is now part of a State Historic Park that encompasses much of the original Presidio site and it located in downtown Santa Barbara. Only two sections of the original Presidio remain. As with many other historical California sites from the Spanish and Mexican periods, a NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix, formulated with an earth colored aggregate mixture, provides the ideal combination of high strength pavement with a distinctly unpaved appearance.
EISENDRATH HOUSE ARIZONA ESTABLISHED 1930
The City of Tempe, Arizona, solved a complicated design challenge by selecting the innovative NaturalPAVEÂŽ XL Resin Pavementâ„˘ product for a new access road running up to their water treatment plant. This facility is hidden in the Papago Buttes and surrounded by the cities of Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe, as well as a number of parks in the Papago Park district, a desert botanical garden, a golf course, a historical adobe, a museum, a zoo and a neighbourhood concerned about preservation of the natural aesthetics. The access road was narrowed and given its sinuous alignment to protect giant saguaro cactus native to this Sonoran Desert landscape. A high strength NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix was formulated with complementary natural aggregate coloration to provide a context-sensitive solution that would limit the visual impacts of the new access road. The City of Tempe has plans to restore the historical Eisdendrath House as the largest remaining and best-preserved Pueblo Revival style house in the area and unique for its use of adobe brick in a two story structure. Restoration plans include the addition of a parking lot and a dedicated access road paved with NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement.
BUENA VISTA PARK
It was known as Hill Park in 1867 when San Franciscoâ€™s Committee on Outside Lands reserved the 36-acre, 589 ft. high slope as the first park in the city park system. They paid squatters $88,250 to relinquish their claims to the hilltop. After its dedication as Buena Vista Park in 1894, John McLaren supervised the forestation of its hills. During Mayor Adolph Sutroâ€™s reign from 1894-98, San Francisco school children planted seedlings each Arbor Day. The summit became a view point for visitors and residents and, during the 1906 earthquake, people gathered there for five days to watch the fires downtown. From this same summit today, located in the famous Haight-Ashbury district, visitors can look out over Golden Gate Park to the Pacific Ocean, over the Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin Headlands, and across downtown San Francisco. Buena Vista Park is the first of a series of City parks being renovated with a natural aesthetic and including NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement pathway systems.
WYCKOFF HOUSE NEW YORK ESTABLISHED 1652
Known as the Wyckoff Farmhouse Museum, this Dutch Colonial farmhouse built in 1652 is the oldest structure in New York City and a National Historic Landmark. Additional English-style rooms were later added and the house has been renovated to its 1820â€™s appearance. Pieter Claesen Wyckoff arrived in 1637, in what was then known as New Netherlands, as an illiterate indentured servant and went on to become a magistrate, the owner of a farm tilled by slaves, and the wealthiest citizen of New Amersfoort. The farmhouse remained in family hands and the property operated as a farm until 1901. There are now more than 50,000 descendants of this family. Owned today by the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation and operated as an educational facility, the farm includes gardens and orchards and a weekly market stand selling the organic produce and herbs grown during the summer season. A NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix formulated with earthy colored aggregate materials was placed by a local contractor to provide accessible pathways with a dirt pathway aesthetic appropriate for the period commemorated by this National Historic Landmark.
Known today as Lake Merritt and located in the middle of the City of Oakland, this salt water wetlands area was originally an estuary of San Francisco Bay and the hunting and fishing grounds of the Ohlone Indians, prior to 1810, when their removal to Mission San Jose was completed. The City of Oakland was founded in 1852 and the estuary became its sewage treatment system until 1869 when Dr. Samuel Merritt, Mayor of Oakland, promoted the idea of a separate sewage treatment system and personally funded the construction of a dam to control the water at a higher level with a greater percentage of fresh water content from the surrounding streams. Merritt was also successful in lobbying the State of California to declare the newly created lake a state wildlife refuge in 1870, making it the first official wildlife refuge in North America. As part of a $198.5 million bond measure focused on waterfront improvements around the City of Oakland which was passed in 2002, the 3.4 mile circumference of the lake is being improved with a pathway system paved with solar reflective NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement surfacing and the Lake Merritt dam is scheduled to be demolished as part of a construction project that will restore the natural tidal flows from San Francisco Bay via the Oakland Estuary.
LONGSTREET CABIN NEVADA ESTABLISHED 1895
ash meadow Jack Longstreet was one of the legendary gunslingers of the early West, arriving in Nevada in 1880 with a shadowy past and soon famous as a dangerous man for his skill with a gun. He avoided his enemies by living in remote locations and he took refuge in Ash Meadows, approximately 90 miles northwest of Las Vegas. Known today as Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) and famous for its spring fed pools with endangered desert pupfish, Jack Longstreet built a cabin in 1895 out of local stone in the side of one of these spring mounds so that he would have access to spring water if he ever had to barricade himself inside. Longstreet championed the rights of the Southern Paiute, with whom he often lived, and was well-known for defending the rights of mine workers during disputes. The Longstreet Cabin was recently restored and provided with accessible pathways combining both boardwalk structures and NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement pathways. Similar pavement treatments are planned for the upcoming construction of the Ash Meadows NWR Visitor Center which will highlight a wildlife refuge that features 24 plants and animals found nowhere else in the world.
NEW MEXICO GLORIETA
Pecos National Historic Park includes the remains of Pecos pueblo which hosted the Spanish expedition led by Coronado in 1541. Today the remains of the pueblo share the same ridge as those of the Spanish missions that followed, the first of which was once the largest of the New Mexico missions before being destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. Nearby Glorieta Pass was the site of site of an important Civil War battle in March 1862 that became known as the Gettysburg of the West. The Confederate Army was planning to take New Mexico, then northward to capture the Colorado goldfields and from there on to California. With troops assembled in Texas, they had already captured the cities of Albuquerque and Santa Fe. The Battle of Glorieta Pass was fierce and lasted for several days. Union troops were able to surprise and burn the Confederate supply train, which led to the retreat of Confederate troops to Texas and the end of the invasion of the West. The trail to the mountain pass is paved with a NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix selected to provide all-weather access to this high altitude site in the Sangre de Christo Mountains, the southernmost subrange of the Rocky Mountains.
SHEFFIELD RESERVIOR CALIFORNIA ESTABLISHED 1917
The City of Santa Barbaraâ€™s Sheffield Reservoir, located at the base of the Santa Ynez Mountains, was created by the construction in 1917 of Sheffield Dam which has the distinction of being the only dam in the United States to fail due to an earthquake event. During the Santa Barbara Earthquake of 1925, the sandy soils under the dam liquified and created a 300 foot wide breach that unleashed 30 million gallons of water which created considerable damage and flooded the lower part of Santa Barbara. The dam was reconstructed and the facility used as an open water reservoir for the Cityâ€™s drinking water for many years. Construction was completed on two 6.5 million gallon covered water reservoirs in 2006 and the site was re-contoured with soil materials over the top of the tanks and landscaped as an open space park. The decommissioned water filtration plant was preserved as a historic building. The new access roads throughout the facility were paved with a NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement mix formulated with crushed natural aggregate materials of coloration that closely matches that of the Santa Barbara sandstone outcrops on site and in view on the surrounding hillsides.
CALIFORNIA SAN YSIDRO RANCH
San Ysidro From its start in 1769 as a way station for Franciscan monks, the San Ysidro Ranch property in Montecito, California, has a long history of hosting travelers. The ranch is located in a canyon in the foothills of the Santa Ynez Mountains and overlooks the Pacific Ocean and the Channel Islands. In 1825, an adobe ranch house was constructed by Thomas Oliviera, the son of a soldier from El Presidio de Santa Barbara. In 1892, a ranch house was built that would become known as the Hacienda. Both the old Adobe and the Hacienda are focal points of the modern San Ysidro Ranch. Converted to a guest ranch in 1893 and today featuring elegant cottages, gardens, spa facilities, hiking trails and a restaurant, San Ysidro Ranch is a romantic retreat noted for hosting a long list of famous guests. A recent $60 million upgrade included a new accessible pathway system running throughout the extensive central flower gardens. At the ownerâ€™s direction, the custom NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement pathway installation was artificially aged during construction. The paving contractor rough broomed the freshly installed pavement surface to create a rustic and weathered look to complement and enhance the historic aspects of San Ysidro Ranch.
LANDS END CALIFORNIA ESTABLISHED 1880
The dramatic coastal scenery and wild nature at the western tip of San Francisco, an area known as Lands End, make this a worldclass destination for an estimated one million annual visitors. Inhabited by the Ohlone tribe before the Spanish arrived in 1776, the Ohlone shell middens still remain on site. Starting in the 1880â€™s, silver mining millionaire Adolph Sutro constructed a railroad line from downtown San Francisco to Lands End and operated steam trains and electric streetcars to bring visitors to an extensive set of attractions. A landslide in 1925 ended the rail service. This abandoned railroad grade, now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and known as the Lands End Coastal Trail, is paved with NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement. Originally developed at the request of the National Park Service, the NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement product technology achieves one of its highest value uses at this site. Visitors regularly remark that these surfaces are so natural in appearance that they did not realize that they were walking on a pavement.
CALIFORNIA VINTAGE HALL ESTABLISHED 1911
Located in the heart of Napa County, California, the premier wine growing region of the United States for almost 150 years, the town of St. Helena takes great pride in its vineyards and wine making history. Constructed in 1911, their original high school building was named Vintage Hall. It was a source of great community pride until decommissioned as a classroom building in the 1960â€™s due to safety concerns. Upgraded and remodeled for the high schoolâ€™s office facilities in 2002, the community campaigned to privately fund the landscaping and pathway system for the front of Vintage Hall. NaturalPAVE XL Resin Pavement was selected to provide period appropriate accessible pathways. In the interest of providing all-weather accessible pathways without the appearance or smooth texture of a modern asphalt or concrete pavement, the paving contractor intentionally roughened the surface of the pavement during installation to provide a more aged and rustic appearance.
Context Sensitive Paving Materials for
HISTORICAL SITES www.sspco.com PO Box 2779, Merced, CA 95344-0779 Phone: (800) 523-9992 or (209) 383-3296 Fax: (209) 383-7849 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org NaturalPAVE XL® Resin Pavement™, similar to hot mix asphalt, is a surface course pavement material that is reliant on the workmanship of the pavement contractor during placement operations and on the strength and stability of the base course and underlying layers upon which it is constructed. SSPCo is a supplier of pavement materials only and not a contractor, engineer, installer, or construction inspector.
This publication is intended for use by professional personnel who are competent to evaluate the significance and limitations of the information provided. It was reviewed carefully prior to publication. Final determination of the suitability of any information or material for the use contemplated, or for its manner of use, is the sole responsibility of the user.
RESIN PAVEMENT is a trademark of Soil Stabilization Products Company. Inc. NaturalPAVE and the SSPCO globe logo are registered trademarks of Soil Stabilization Products Company, Inc. © 2010 Soil Stabilization Products Company, Inc. - All Rights Reserved