CARDIFF SCHOOL OF ART AND DESIGN
PHOTOGRAPHIC PRACTICE BA (HONS) UCAS Code: W640 Entry requirements: Minimum Tariff: 240 Photography is a relatively new medium. Despite its short existence it has become an extremely important vehicle for human communication. It is everywhere. Where there is light there is photography, where there is no light it can be introduced. From outer space to the atom, from the tallest mountain to the deepest ocean, all is revealed through photography. Photographers say; “look at this.” We see photographs and we are informed, we see photographs and we are persuaded, we see photographs and we are shocked, we see photographs and we are enlightened… Photography is a deceptively simple medium, just point and click, which belies its potential for subtlety and nuance, its potential to stop you in your tracks. The course is led by a strong sense of individual vocational needs, yet it is not restrictive in approach. It emphasizes the potential employability of its graduates. Students are encouraged to use their technical skills in support of their creative ideas. Students will be motivated and challenged at each level of the course. With relatively small cohorts and excellent facilities, many of which are available for loan, the photography team aim to fully develop your talents. Three main themes are embedded throughout the course: photographic creativity, photographic understanding and photographic industry. The course undertakes study visits and location photography trips locally, nationally and internationally. Recent international trips have been made to Krakow, Malta, Venice and Iceland. Photographic Practice students have also participated in exhibitions at prestigious venues throughout Wales and the UK.
Imaging early on, through to Advanced Independent Practice and Contexts for Practice. Assignments within modules are carefully written to be interesting and challenging, including ‘live’ industry-led projects.
YOUR PLACE AT CSAD
Students will develop their photographic skills base. They will study the camera, the studio, digital photography and traditional darkroom techniques. Students are also introduced to critical theories, these will enable them to position their creative direction and enable them to form ideas suitable for this level.
Meeting applicants is important to us.
Students will be offered opportunities to extend their practice and investigate possibilities within their chosen area. Students are also asked to consider commercial aspects of photography and are encouraged to think about and plan for their future. Critical theory becomes an integral element at this stage as research informs the development of practical activities. The course can also be studied part-time, which can take five/six years. Our photography students have had many successes in recent years; winning national competitions, being selected for national exhibitions and having work published in magazines and books. Many are already working in a freelance capacity, taking on commissions for a wide variety of client types. Notable amongst these is one of our graduates who won the student category in Welsh Artist of the Year 2013. This degree course is taught at the Bridgend College Arts Academy in central Cardiff.
We like to show you around, answer your questions and talk to you about your work and aspirations. No doubt you would like to look at our facilities and the Llandaff campus and find out more about accommodation, transport in the city and finances. This year we will be holding three BIG INTERVIEW EVENTS in our new building. The aims are to welcome candidates applying for places, give you the information you need, and to conduct interviews. We will have a lot to show you and will be able to answer all the nitty gritty questions about studying with us and living in Cardiff. Although, we will be conducting interviews at various times throughout the year, our BIG INTERVIEW EVENTS will be held on the following dates :
12TH AND 13TH DECEMBER 2013 29TH, 30TH, 31ST JANUARY 2014 19TH, 20TH, 21ST FEBRUARY 2014 21ST MARCH 2014 Watch this space...
The degree is continuously assessed by coursework submission. Modules cover subject areas such as Location Photography, Studio Photography and Digital
Further information: Admissions Tutor: Shaun McDermott firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cardiff Diploma in Foundation Studies (Art & Design) (Bridgend) allied programme only
• HNC Building Technology and Management (Ystrad Mynach)
• Postgraduate Certificate in Professional & Research Skills: Art & Design • Master of Fine Art (MFA) • Master of Design (MDes) • Master of Design (MDes) SADI • MA (Cardiff School of Art & Design) • Fine Art • Communication • Illustration • Artist Designer Maker • Product Design • Textiles • Photographic Practice • Art & Science • Philosophy • Ecologies • MA Ceramics • MSc Advanced Product Design • MSc Environmental Change and Practice
• • • • •
• Foundation Degree in Applied Art & Design (Bridgend) • Foundation Degree in Ceramics (Cardiff and The Vale College) • Foundation Degree in Contemporary Textiles Practice (Cardiff and The Vale College) • Foundation Degree in Graphic Communication (Cardiff and The Vale College) • Foundation Degree in Sustainable Building Practice (Bridgend, Pembrokeshire, Llandrillo College, & Coleg Powys)
• HND Architectural Design & Technology • BSc (Hons) Architectural Design & Technology • BA (Hons) Artist Designer: Maker • BA (Hons) Fine Art • BA (Hons) Ceramics • BA (Hons) Textiles • BA (Hons) Graphic Communication • BA (Hons) Illustration • BA (Hons) Product Design • BSc (Hons) Product Design • BA (Hons) Photographic Practice (Bridgend)
MPhil PhD Professional Doctorate in Art Professional Doctorate in Design Professional Doctorate in Ecological Building Practices
www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/csad www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/studywithus CARDIFF SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN, HOWARD GARDENS CAMPUS, CARDIFF, CF24 0SP Tel: +44 (0)29 2041 6154 Fax: +44 (0)29 2041 6944 email: email@example.com CARDIFF SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN, LLANDAFF CAMPUS, WESTERN AVENUE, CARDIFF, CF5 2YB Tel: +44 (0)29 2041 6070 Fax: +44 (0)29 2041 6640 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published on Sep 18, 2013
Published on Sep 18, 2013
Photography is a relatively new medium. Despite its short existence it has become an extremely important vehicle for human communication. It...