Page 1

Visa & Passports

Visa & Passports

It is especially important to check in plenty of time before your holiday as entry visas or permits may be necessary for certain destinations and it is the responsibility of the individual traveller to obtain. To check on any Visas you may need (and for preferential rates), please call CIBT Visa Service on 0207 963 3873 mentioning or visit our website.


If you are travelling to the USA, the days of filling out a green I-94 piece of paper (commonly known as the Visa Waiver form) on a plane for entry into the US have ended. You now need to fill in an online request to enter the States, at least three days before travelling (although you'll usually get a decision in minutes, it can take up to three days), otherwise you will be turned away at US immigration. The form is called the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation form or ESTA for short. It costs $14 (about £10 depending on the exchange rate at the time) plus the ESTA lasts two years (or until your passport expires). You can obtain one from Once the ESTA is out of date you need to reapply. The only method for this new procedure is online, so if you do not have internet access, you may need to get help from a friend, family member or colleague who can register online on your behalf.


All passengers visiting China on a cruise require a visa, even if you do not intend to leave the ship at the port. Depending how many times your cruise visits China will depend on whether you need a single entry visa (just one port) or a double entry visa (more than 1 port of call). The visa can be obtained as close as 3 working days before departure. Visas cost from around £115pp.


An Indian visa will be required for any cruises that visit India. These can be obtained by visiting your local embassy/consular located in London, Birmingham or Edinburgh and a visa can be obtained the same day or you can obtain a visa through CIBT, which can be obtained up until 3 working days before departure. Visas cost from around £98.50pp.


Visas are needed for entry into Russia, the most common way of obtaining a Russian visa is through the cruise line, as long as you take the excursion in Russia with the cruise line they will include your visa arrangements. Please check at the time of booking. You can obtain your own visa for Russia if you wish to disembark, you must have a Russian Invitation or tourist voucher approved by the ministry of foreign affairs. These can be obtained through CIBT, and they can be ordered as late as 2 working days before departure and cost from £172pp. Applicants who are self-employed or un-employed must provide bank statements for 3 months prior to show they have £100credit available for every day they wish to stay in Russia.

Vietnam A visa is required for Vietnam; they offer a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa if you are visiting more than 1 port of call in Vietnam. Visas cost from around £99pp and can be obtained up until around 3 working days before departure though CIBT.

Australia An electronic visa called an ETA is required for entry into Australia, these can be obtained for a cost of around £20pp for a tourist ETA which is valid for 1 year and can be obtained online.

UAE A visa is obtained on arrival free of charge and is valid for 30 days.

It is the responsibility of all passengers to have a full valid passport which is valid for 6 months after their return date. For further information contact the Passport Office on Tel: 0300 222 0000 or visit We would strongly recommend visiting the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website. If you are travelling to a destination outside the EU Look at the World Travel Guide. The above information is to be used as a guide only. Please check with individual cruiselines or your Cruise Consultant before booking a cruise. Each cruiseline reserves the right to change their policy at any time without notice for which cannot be held responsible.


A guide to visas when cruising

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you