VitrA’s new showroom • Back to the future with Pelipal • Tip top trends from Sylmar Plus Stainless Steel, Multifunctional Ovens, Door Design, Decorative Surfaces & Worktops, Bathroom Furniture, Heating & Ventilation, Sanitaryware and much more…
FARRINGDON BEADED & SHAKER
The Farringdon door is a one piece shaker with a smooth painted finish. Available in two styles - Beaded and Shaker. Features of the range include angled end mouldings, full height 1965 larder doors (shown below) and twin base end panels (opposite in Porcelain). The photography features the stocked colour Porcelain in the Shaker style with the bespoke colour Dark Blue in the Beaded version of the door. Available ex-stock in Porcelain with bespoke colours supplied in 3 weeks.
0161 767 9044
THE INTERNATIONAL KITCHEN SHOW
More for the kitchen than ever before: whether it is kitchen design, electrical appliances or accessories you are looking for, LivingKitchen is the only event where you can find the complete range of kitchen products. Experience the international top brands, the most important trends, exciting ideas and inspiring products at first hand. LivingKitchen and imm cologne combine to provide an offer that is unique in the world. Discover the global furnishing market in one place, at one time, live in Cologne!
LivingKitchen co-located with: International Business Media Services Ltd., 42 Christchurch Road, Ringwood BH24 1DN Tel. : +44 1425 48 68 30, Fax : +44 1425 48 68 31, email@example.com
4. Editor’s Kitchen Choice
32. Editor’s Bathroom Choice
6. Steel The Look
34. Victorious Vanity
The choice of every professional chef and budding Masterchef, stainless steel continues to dominate the market…
14. Ready, Set, Bake
As the nation is gripped by the 7th series of The Great British Bake Off, K&BJ take a closer look at the latest multifunctional ovens… Cover The minerva® Copper Fleck work surface from Sylmar is part of a 14-strong décor range. For more information please see page 30. 01773 521 300 • www.sylmar.co.uk
18. Defining Design
With a noticeable move towards matt finishes and muted shades, K&BJ looks at some of the most diverse door designs to enter the UK market…
22. The Rise Of Matt editor: Catherine Earle Catherine@KitchenandBathroomJournal.co.uk publication manager: Eoin Costen Eoin@KitchenandBathroomJournal.co.uk circulation: Circ@KitchenandBathroomJournal.co.uk
The trend for Matt finishes remains strong, with BA Components adding Matt, Superman and Ultramatt finishes to its door range…
Tel: 01502 732515 Twitter: @KB_Journal www.KitchenandBathroomJournal.co.uk
PJH continues its success story with its Virtu kitchen collection…
24. Design Is A Virtu
Please note: points of view expressed in articles by contributing writers and in advertisements included in Kitchen & Bathroom Journal do not necessarily represent those of the publishers. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information contained in Kitchen & Bathroom Journal, no legal responsibility will be accepted by the publishers for incidents arising from use of information published. All rights, including moral and intellectual property rights, reserved.
26. Surfacing Trends
COPYRIGHT: No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written consent of the publishers. Copyright CPC Ltd, 2015.
30. Tip Top Trends
ISSN 2052-3394 Readers should note that a charge may have been made by the publishers to cover the cost of reproducing some colour photographs in this publication.
Stay on top of the most recent designs with a look at some of the most striking surfaces and worktops to date…
Sylmar’s flagship range, minerva®, launches four new décors to incorporate the latest interior design trends…
origination: CPC Ltd printing: Barnwell Print Ltd, Dunkirk, Aylsham, NR11 6SU published by: Craftsman Publishing Co Ltd, Landings House € Lound Road, Blundeston, Suffolk, NR32 5AT, United Kingdom
1 TAP 4 FUNCTIONS 5 STYLES 2 FINISHES
Form fitting furniture for the modern day bathroom…
37. Back To The Future
Growing through the last recession, Pelipal knows how to maximise every opportunity in an ever-changing market…
40. Designs For Life
Pelipal has increased sales in the UK by a phenomenal 40% in 2015 and 2016 thanks to an exclusive range of designs and retailer support…
42. Show & Tell With VitrA Leading sanitaryware and furniture manufacturer, VitrA opens its newlyopened showroom to K&BJ…
44. Sanitary Solutions
An integral part of bathroom design, manufacturers are blurring the lines between classic and modern to create greater longevity and up-market design…
48. The Heat Is On
The latest heating and ventilation products that really are too hot to handle…
51. Business News
editor’s choice 4 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Binopolis.com has extended its collection of over 50 built-in bins and added the Ninka one2five Recycler. Designed for use with a 600mm-wide, pull-out door cabinet, it features two 32-litre and two 8-litre compartments and is suitable for cabinets with a minimum depth of 500mm and 570mm high. Complete with integral lid and soft-close runners, it can be retrofit. 023 8097 0230 www.binopolis.com
EDITOR’S KITCHEN 1
editor’s choice kitchen &K&B_Layout bathroom journal october 18:11 2016 •Page 5 1 1 11/01/2016 1. Franke has added three new Kubus KBK ceramic undermount models to its portfolio. Two single bowl models and a fully reversible 1.5 bowl model are now available in white to fit either a 500mm or 600mm cabinet, with the assurance of a 50 year guarantee against manufacturing defects. All three models can be fitted with a Franke waste disposal unit and Franke’s Rollamat. 0161 436 6280 • www.franke.co.uk 2. Franke’s new Smart tap is the latest design to be introduced into its best-selling Pro-Value range. The distinctively designed monobloc tap is available in Chrome or SilkSteel PVD and is operated by a single top lever. Available now, the Smart tap is guaranteed for five years on working parts and one year on finish. 0161 436 6280 • www.franke.co.uk
3. Zip has launched eight new colours, part of its HydroTap Design Range. The new collection labelled the Platinum Design Range - now includes rose gold, brushed rose gold, gold, brushed gold, platinum, gunmetal, nickel and brushed nickel. Benefiting from HydroTap functionality, consumers can choose filtered boiling, chilled and sparkling water – or any combination to suit their needs – at the touch of a button. 08456 005 005 • www.zipwater.com 4. Air Uno has launched Verdi, a new cooker hood featuring a powerful extraction up to 855 m3/H. The design features long life filters and requires no ducting. Available in two sizes - 900 or 1200mm - it includes strip LED lighting and a remote control. 0113 201 2240 • www.airuno.co.uk
REGICOLOR COLOURED STAINLESS STEEL
Sometimes it’s all about being different. And with the new RegiColor collection of coloured stainless steel sinks you can be just that! Available in five shapes and sizes and in three stock colours – Midnight Sky, Arctic White and Sahara Sand - RegiColor sinks can also be produced in any bespoke colour on request.
T: 01260 280033 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.reginox.co.uk
stainless steel 6 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Reginox has added a brushed steel finish to its modern monobloc mixer tap range, Genesis. Its minimalist design features a tall swivel swan neck spout, making it ideal for both 1.5 bowl and double bowl sinks, coupled with a circular base and twin level handles. Fitted with ¼ turn ceramic disc technology for ease of use and durability, Genesis is suitable for both low and high pressure systems and comes with a five-year guarantee. 01260 280033 www.reginox.co.uk
STEEL THE LOOK… The choice of every professional chef and budding Masterchef, stainless steel continues to dominate the market…
The new NEMO RS tap from MGS offers a 360˚ swivel capability and 270˚ tap rotation. Ideal for 1.5 and double bowl installation, it offers green credentials and is made from 100% lead free stainless steel. A new low water consumption cartridge can also reduces usage by 30%. 01772 698 111 • www.mgstaps.com
stainless steel kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 7 1. The steel Minimalist low profile sink from Astracast will be launched later this year. Available in two bowl variants - 1.0 and 1.5 – the new sink design measures 1000 x 520mm, with the main bowl measuring 220mm deep. 01274 654 700 • www.astracast.com/uk
2. Kitchen sink and tap specialist Caple has updated its Aspen range of single control taps with a new model made from the highest grade, solid stainless steel, set to add a professional look and feel to any kitchen style. The Aspen ASP2/SS feature a single lever ceramic valve, requires a minimum of 0.5 bar pressure and measures 403mm by 200mm reach. 0117 938 1900 • www.caple.co.uk
Advert K&B Journal Sept 2016.qxp_Layout 1 09/09/2016 15:21 Page 1
astracast.com 01274 475 179 email@example.com
“I can see the green and lead free attributes of stainless steel becoming more essential in kitchen design. Albeit slightly more expensive, a tap constructed from stainless steel is 100% recyclable, with 60% of its matter coming from reused material. And, unlike the typically used brass, stainless steel does not contain any lead and are non-corrosive, non-toxic, and non-porous.” Vittorio Bergossi, MGS Taps
stainless steel 8 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
“The industrial chic kitchen is an increasingly popular design, as more consumers are opting for a warehouse look for their home. Choosing to throw out the wallpaper and paint for bare brick and stone, the trendy consumer is kitting out their kitchen with stainless steel, concrete and exposed pipework to achieve the industrial look. Understated, with more than a hint to an industrial past and the professional kitchen, stainless steel is the perfect choice for the kitchen designed in an industrial vein.” Charles Bernstein, Category Manager, Built-in, Whirlpool
1. The Whirlpool built-in Fusion range of stylish and elegant matching stainless steel appliances benefits from iXelium™ nanotechnology coating for additional durability and timeless beauty. 0344 815 8989 • www.whirlpool.co.uk 2. Carron Phoenix’s Adelphi 1.5 bowl sink is manufactured from premium grade stainless steel and has a low profile edge that sits almost flat on the worksurface, creating the look of a flush-mount. Measuring 1050 x 510mm, it fits a 600mm cabinet. It comes with a lifetime guarantee. 0161 436 6280 • www.carron.com 3. Gorenje has collaborated with designer, Philippe Starck, to develop the Gorenje by Starck collection. The line contains a range of industrial looking ovens, refrigerators, hobs and hoods and users reflective grey glass to create the industrial look and feel. Pictured: IDKG9545X stainless steel island hood with glass finish. 020 8247 3980 • www.gorenje.co.uk “There has been a notable trend toward industrial design which can be seen in a lot of modern, city centre restaurants and cafes. This trend is carrying through to the home with consumers looking to implement the look and feel into their own kitchen. Despite the numerous technological advances and innovations in kitchen design, stainless steel continuous to offer the ideal aesthetic to create this look.” Stuart Benson, Sales Director Gorenje UK
REGICOLOR COLOURED STAINLESS STEEL Sometimes it's all about being different. And with the unique new RegiColor collection of coloured stainless steel sinks you can be just that! RegiColor is ideal for those who crave colour in the kitchen but also love the sleek, low profile shape and durability of stainless steel. Available in five shapes and sizes and in three stock colours Midnight Sky, Arctic White and Sahara Sand - RegiColor sinks can also be produced in any bespoke colour on request.
T: 01260 280033 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.reginox.co.uk
stainless steel 10 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
K&BJ talks to Dave Mayer, Sales & Marketing Director of Reginox about the latest developments in Stainless Steel and its ability to remain relevant in the kitchen market… “The market for stainless steel sinks remains as strong as ever. Whilst ceramics are growing in popularity and we are seeing an increase in granite-based products, steel undoubtedly remains the soul of the kitchen market. “It has the ability to look good in any style kitchen, traditional or contemporary. This, combined with its timeless appeal, durability and ease of maintenance, makes stainless steel a desirable material. “It offers so much versatility in design and, over the past couple of years, we have seen its obvious limitations being pushed to the limit, with new shapes, angles, depths, profiles and, most recently, even colours, being introduced. “Its scope for innovation is a manufacturer’s dream and with recent trend to combine the neutral colourway of stainless steel with other materials, including glass, granite, stone and even wood, it offers an enduring appeal that will never go out of fashion.”
1. Abode has launched its brushed stainless steel, Matrix R50 XL kitchen sink. Measuring 800 x 510, the single, reversible sink with rounded corners can either be under-mounted or inset and comes complete with the innovative Abode Orbit waste, overflow, pipework and clips, ready for installation. 01226 283 434 • www.abodedesigns.co.uk 2. The new Quarta sink from Blanco offers style and simple design. Available in main cabinet sizes and bowl combinations, the Quarta Ten offers an elegant corner radii of only 10mm and has no visible base pattern, whilst the Quarta has a contemporary, zero radius bowl with rectangular bowl geometry. Pictured: Quarta 340/180-U sink. 01923 635 200 • www.blanco.co.uk 3. Franke has extended its Kubus stainless steel undermount sink range with the addition of the supersized KBX 110-70. The sink measures 700 x 400mm with an extra-deep 230mm bowl. The single-bowl fits an 800mm cabinet and the premium grade stainless steel offers resistance to stains, rust and corrosion. 0161 436 6280 • www.franke.co.uk
Comes Together Wonderfully Frames by Franke is a complete range of premium appliances where every element works in complete harmony. The unique combination of quality design and innovation brings a beautifully balanced look to any kitchen. For more information about becoming a displaying retailer contact: email@example.com
stainless steel 12 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
“So prevalent is stainless steel in the marketplace that design pundits are always looking for alternatives to present as the ‘new stainless steel’. While coloured enamels remain popular and glass appliances are also highly on-trend, the new stainless steel is in fact, stainless steel.” Kelly Penn, Marketing Manager, Hoover Candy Baumatic
1. Liebherr’s SBSes 7165 fridge freezer and wine cabinet offers a total capacity of 110 litres. Featuring BioFresh-plus technology, the A+ energy rated fridge provides individual zones that offer the right humidity and temperature for a particular food group. The wine cabinet has two zones which can be set at a precise set temperature between 5+C° and 20+C°. The fridge freezer also features a NoFrost system and icemaker. 03330 147 888 • www.myliebherr.co.uk 2. The CXSE7204 537 litre frost-free American side-by-side fridge freezer from Candy has a fridge freezer net capacity of 345/192 litres. With automatic fridge defrost and a freezer rising time of 7 hours, it offers a digital control panel and energy efficiency class of A+. 01189 311 110 • www.candy-domestic.co.uk 3. Steel has launched its new Enfasi collection of range cookers. The multifunctional design is available in two sizes -100cm or 90cm - and comes with a choice of either six gas burners or an induction hob. All cookers in the range come with solid steel knobs, enamelled cast iron pan supports, a stay cool oven door with double glass, stainless steel adjustable feet and electronic oven timer control with touch screen. 01275 343 000 • www.bradshaw.co.uk
Automatic pan recognition
Quick and responsive
As individual as you are! Designed to suit the way you cook
Our passion for leading edge design and manufacturing perfection can be traced back to our German pedigree. We are proud of our reputation for quality and attention to detail. If you have an eye for perfection and love to stand out in a crowd, a BLANCO induction hob or kitchen sink and tap will be your natural choice. To view our full range of products including over 140 sinks in stainless steel, silgranit and ceramic, over 190 individual kitchen taps, lighting, cooker hoods and induction hobs please contact us to make an appointment at our St. Albans showroom anytime between 10am-4pm Monday to Friday. Tel: 01923 635 200
multifunctional ovens 14 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Caple has added a new double oven to its comprehensive Classic collection. The C3245 features a modern black glass and stainless steel finish, metal dials and stainless steel, black spot feature bar handles. Offering an impressive 101-litre total capacity with an A-rating for energy efficiency, it features triple-glazed doors with heat reflective glass. 0117 938 1900 • www.caple.co.uk
READY, SET, BAKE As the nation is gripped by the 7th series of The Great British Bake Off, K&BJ takes a closer look at the latest multifunctional ovens…
Rangemaster’s new built in collection includes single and double ovens, compacts, dishwashers, gas, induction and ceramic hobs plus cooling. The star product in the 73 litre built-in oven collection is the single 10 function electric oven with pyroclean and TFT controls. Other features include Rapid Cooking and Delicate Bake. 0800 804 6261 • www.rangemaster.co.uk
multifunctional ovens kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 15
“With the increase in volume of the overall market for ovens surpassing 10 per cent, it is not surprising that the market for multifunction ovens also shows a rise. However, the volume of multifunction single and double ovens has outperformed the overall category, with over 20 percent and 15 per cent volume gains respectively year-on-year.” (Amdea, July 16). Owain Harrison UK, head of sales and marketing, Hoover Candy Baumatic 1. The new Miele Generation 6000 H6860 BPX ArtLine Oven in Graphite Grey features M touch controls, which allow you to swipe or scroll with your finger. The 76 litre oven features 11 cooking functions including top and bottom heat, Intensive Bake and Auto-Roast. Other benefits include automatic programmes for ease of use, a wireless food probe and PyroFit accessories. 0845 330 2660 • www.miele.co.uk 2. The A rated, 65 litre Baumatic BOPT609X 60cm Vantage Pyrolytic Oven features a mark resistant control panel and LED display. Measuring H 595 x W 595 x D 567, the oven includes nine functions including Keep Warm, Maxi Grill, Defrost and Pyrolytic cleaning. 01189 311 110 • www.baumatic.co.uk 3. Whirlpool’s AKZM 8920/GK induction oven can offer faster cooking times and greater energy efficiency thanks to a removable induction shelf that generates a magnetic field that directly heats the special induction tray. It also features eight different cooking settings and 6th Sense® technology which automatically calculates the required cooking time, minimising the energy used. 0344 815 8989 • www.whirlpool.co.uk
“For designers and retailers that are presenting appliance solutions to suit the needs of their customers, a multifunction double oven is a practical option for people with families, and they are back on trend, as is evident by their double digit volume and value increases. Alternatively, for those that prefer a healthier lifestyle, or who like to entertain, a single multifunction oven combined with a compact combination steam oven will usually deliver the best possible cooking options. Combi-steam models offer the advantages of dedicated steam cooking alongside a range of other functions, including some that are combined, so these versatile appliances can be used either as a second oven or to steam vegetables and rice, or to add steam to traditional functions resulting in very tender meat or perfectly moist cakes.” Kelly Penn, marketing manager, Hoover Candy Baumatic
multifunctional ovens 16 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
“The sales of steam ovens have grown by a phenomenal 393% in the last three years, and research shows us that more and more consumers are baking from scratch.” Sophie Davidson, Head of Product Line Kitchen at AEG, UK & Ireland
1. Neff’s B58VT68N0B single Slide & Hide® oven features a fully retracting oven door. Featuring 15 cooking functions, including CircoTherm®, which uses a new steam setting, VarioSteam®, to create perfectly cooked dishes. Bake and Assist offers you cooking suggestions and a selection of pizza, baking and braising options make following recipes simple. It also offers a Pyrolytic cleaning, self-cleaning function, finger touch controls and meat probe. 0344 892 8989 • www.neff.co.uk 2. V-ZUG’s Combair-Steam SL 60 uses the oven’s Climate Control System to detect the size and quantity of the food placed inside and works out the best time and temperature for cooking. There’s also the Easy Cook programme for cooking over 100 individual foods and a SoftRoasting patented programme. It features a five litre capacity, measures H60 x W60 x D56.9cm and has an A+ energy rating. 0843 289 5759 • www.vzug.com
3. Gorenje+ GS778 built-in steam oven offers a super size cooking area with a 75 litre oven volume. Featuring an AquaClean cleaning function, the oven boasts an internal meat probe and HomeChef technology. It is essentially a tablet computer, a cookbook, and an oven in a single appliance – bringing intuitive and connected controls to the kitchen. 020 8247 3980 • www.gorenje.co.uk 4. AEG’s BP530450KM multifunctional steam oven features a Pyroluxe® Plus pyrolytic cleaning system, SoftMotion soft close door and Isofront® Plus quadruple glazed door. The A rated oven also includes nine cooking functions, including SteamBake, Defrost, Variable Grill and Fan Baking and boasts an antifingerprint coating. 03445 613 613 • www.aeg.co.uk
STEAMING AHEAD Cook yourself healthy with steam…
More and more consumers are becoming switched on to the health as well as taste benefits of steam. Once a niche product, steam is now a must-have ‘accessory’ for cooking delicious food that retains flavours brilliantly. Using steam is also a healthy way to cook, since fat doesn’t have to be added to keep the food moist and because steam’s lower temperatures helps preserve nutrients. Martin Wilson, Product Manager of Built-in Hot appliances at Electrolux
Caple appliances combine intuitive technology, functional engineering and contemporary design, making them easy on the eye and easy to use. Image: Single multifunction oven, C2236
design.living Tel: 0117 938 1900 www.caple.co.uk
door design 18 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Multiwood’s Aconbury matt bespoke door range, pictured in Winter Teal and Graphite Cameo, is available in 28 colours. Manufactured using 22mm thick MDF, the handleless design incorporates the latest industry paint technologies to provide a grease and scratch resistant silk matt finish. A range of matching accessories are also available. 0161 767 9044 www.multiwood.co.uk
DEFINING DESIGN With a noticeable move towards matt finishes and muted shades, K&BJ looks at some of the most diverse door designs to enter the UK market…
door design kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 19 1. The new Valore Grey Brown Ontario Walnut and Light Concrete kitchen from BA Components offers inset, handleless design. The industrial look oozes through the island with the warm backdrop of the Grey Brown Ontario Walnut. Valore is manufactured and dispatched in seven working days. 028 8676 4600 • www.byba.co.uk
2. Trade Mouldings has recently added a new collection of Painted MDF doors to its stock door portfolio. Manufactured from 18mm high tension MDF, primed in polyester and overpainted in an acrylic silk finish, the doors are available in Porcelain, Mussel and Dove Grey from stock in all three distribution centres. A full collection of panels and accessories complement the range. 01706 753 600 • www.trademouldings.com
2 “Ceramic stone and industrial style concrete remains a popular design feature, but this look can be cold if not partnered with highly textured and tactile materials such as rough cut or 3D veneers and matt finishes paired with warm metallic finishes. In addition, colour that is cleverly introduced through the doors is also dictating market trends. 50 shades of grey and accents of blue remain a popular choice. Furthermore, trends are showing the introduction of atypical materials and finishes, compelling the need for manufacturers to deliver more unexpected, advantageous design, even in classic schemes.” Simon Bodsworth, Managing Director, Daval
rothwell supermatt light grey, malton lava elm
Supermatt Fingerprint free
Available Now WWW.BYBA.CO.UK Kit & Bath Journal HalfPage_187x133_V1.indd 1
COOKSTOWN: +44 (0) 28 8676 4600 DONCASTER: +44 (0) 1302 890555 MAIL@BACOMPONENTS.CO.UK
door design 20 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 “Soft muted colour palettes such as grey and stone continue to be popular choices for kitchen doors. Finishes are following suit, with consumers increasingly looking for a happy medium between high gloss and matt. There is also a noticeable move towards grained finishes that are tactile and add a sense of character to the kitchen. Timber is being increasingly used in the contemporary setting.” Steve Tough, Commercial Sales Director, Masterclass Kitchens 1. Responding to the trend for a subtle alternative to high gloss, Masterclass Kitchens has introduced a new Silk finish, available in a fashionable grey-blue colour palette across four of its ranges. The super smooth silk finish is luxuriously tactile, available in White, Coastal Mist, Light Grey, Dust Grey and Graphite and four door styles. Pictured is Roma, a semi-handleless door with a flawless painted surface, which is the ideal choice for the open-plan kitchen-diner. 01443 449 499 • www.masterclasskitchens.co.uk 2. Marpatt has launched its new entry-level painted door range. The Foundation range, which consists of five door models (two new) that can be batch painted in five of the most requested colours, has been matched to Egger board colours: Porcelain, Alabaster, Mussel (pictured), Cashmere and light Grey. For promotional purposes Sample packs are available now. 0116 274 3943 • www.marpatt.co.uk
3. BioGraphy from PWS is a handleless door collection that boasts contemporary, linear kitchen design. Based around five themes, matt and gloss colours in the Remo and Porter ranges are ex-stock, together with feature doors in character graphite and reclaimed oak. An additional 20-strong colour palette has a paint-to-order leadtime of 21 days. 01325 505 555 • www.pws.co.uk 4. The pre-fitted cam and dowel design on TKC’s new ‘Quickcab’ cabinets means that a standard 12-unit kitchen can be assembled in 25 minutes. Quickcab cabinets come with TKC’s standard specification of an 18mm board and 18mm solid back panel on the base unit, and can be assembled in two minutes due to their innovative design, compared with 7½ to ten minutes for a standard flat-pack cabinet. 0161 336 3636 • www.tkcomponents.co.uk
5. Landau’s V-line exotic veneer range is perfectly colour matched in individual kitchen sets and can be grainmatched in lengths of up to 2.4 metres, both horizontally and vertically. The V Line range is available in 18 beautiful standard veneers, that can be cut to create bespoke grain structures such as crown, rift cut, figured or cracked and filled, which all show off the natural beauty of real wood. 01482 440 680 • www.landau.uk.com
A Great Kitchen starts with a Great Foundation Marpatt are pleased to launch the Foundation Range, a new entry level painted door range that is price pointed to help you sell a Marpatt kitchen more of the time! The Foundation Range consists of five door models that will be batch painted in five very popular requested colour-matched Egger Board colours. They are Porcelain, Alabaster, Mussel, Cashmere and Light Grey. The door designs we have selected for the Foundation Range, including popular established designs with two all new door models, are as follows: Mowbray Oak True Oak Monarch Oak Monarch Smooth (new) Ashbury (new) For more information or to order a copy of the Foundation brochure please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0116 2743943.
door design 22 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Ultra Matt Metallic Cashmere
Rothwell Supermatt Cashmere Supermatt Dust Grey Malton Stone Elm
Matt Graphite Integra
THE RISE OF MATT The trend for Matt finishes remains strong, with BA Components adding Matt, Supermatt and Ultramatt finishes to its door range.
he idea of a kitchen being a practical workspace only used for the preparation of food has been replaced with a contemporary living space that acts as a central hub in the home. This social space has also been deemed the most expensive commodity after the purchase of the home, with consumers looking to create the ‘wow’ factor in their home. BA Components has noticed this change in lifestyle over the years, evidenced by a huge increase in demand for the latest styles and trends through the BA Dealer network. BA Component’s Marketing Director, David Caulfield explains, “Consumers know what they want and when they want it and of course, with on-line savvy customers and the power of search engines, it takes only a matter of seconds to find a dream kitchen.
David adds, “Over the last two years we have seen the rise of Matt, Supermatt and even Ultramatt finishes shoot clearly to the forefront of kitchen design. A highly sought after finish that can be given either a modern or traditional look depending how it is presented and accessorised, the matt door has emerged as the new front runner in kitchens today.” BA Components offers a diverse range of Matt, Supermatt and Ultramatt finishes. The Supermatt finish is highly durable and with a unique fingerprint free finish, it offers a tough yet tactile kitchen design. To create an elegant kitchen space without going for an all out matt look, matt finishes can also be mixed with rustic wood, high gloss and ceramic to create subtle contrasts and a unique look.
For more information please visit www.byba.co.uk or follow @bacomponents on Twitter or call 028 8676 4600
door design 24 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Part of the Nouveau range, the Concept kitchen in Cashmere Gloss with true handless ‘J-Cab’ design
The Contour kitchen in True White Matt and Matte Pewter finishes – part of the Expression family
The Heritage door – pictured in Midnight Ocean – is available in 20 painted colours as well a range of classic accessories
DESIGN IS A VIRTU PJH continues its success story with its Virtu kitchen collection…
aunched earlier this year, PJH’s premium kitchen collection, Virtu, has proved a success, with retailers nationwide displaying the new range. Developed following extensive research and customer feedback, the kitchen’s flawless design appeals to those looking for a sleek, high-end kitchen, without the unachievable price tag. The product range, which is divided into four Virtu families – Nouveau, Expression, Artisan and Elegance - is a result of a fusion
of European quality credentials; Italiansourced doors, British built cabinets, German engineering (Vauth Sagel and Hettich accessories) and Spanish stoneware (Silestone solid quartz worktops). And, supplied as rigid cabinets underlines the quality craftsmanship built into the new range. The collection’s appeal is more than just skin deep. Retail partners receive the full support required to help make Virtu kitchens a success from the outset. Marketing support includes a Virtu product specification guide, Virtu branded point-of-sale and merchandising materials, easy on-line ordering using PJH’s new Partners Portal website (and its innovative ‘kitchen order pad’ tool), competitive display deals and showroom planning advice.
The support doesn’t stop there. To help drive footfall into retail showrooms, PJH will be generating plenty of end-user marketing communications on a continuous basis to help raise brand awareness. This will include the use of social networks to help advise and inspire, a nationwide consumer PR campaign, and an aspirational Virtu consumer brochure and website. An impressive Virtu showroom is also open at PJH’s Cannock offices, allowing retailers to see the new roomset displays complete with working appliances. The showroom is a perfect training centre for retail staff, and designed and dressed to help make the displays come alive, it offers an inspirational journey through the beautiful kitchens that make up the Virtu collection.
For more information please visit www.partners.pjh.uk and www.virtukitchens.uk or call 0800 8 77 88 99
COMPAC Unique Calacatta is a natural stone alternative which provides better feeling, greater inspiration and higher performance, with exclusive designs driven by the pursuit of perfection. Each Compac Unique Calacatta table is totally unlike any other. Discover our new NATURTEX Quartz material. UNIQUE CALACATTAâ„˘. Sign of Perfection.
uniquecalacatta.com compac.us compac.es
decorative surfaces & worktops 26 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
“Granite continues to be a popular and desirable choice of worktop material, not only for its natural qualities but for its strong visual appeal, in particular how it can change character depending on the lighting.” Graeme Smith, Senior Designer, PWS
Stay on top of the most recent designs with a look at some of the most striking surfaces and worktops to date…
PWS has embraced glamour with the addition of Oyster Pearl and Rippled Mink granite to its Strata Worksurface brand. Oyster Pearl blends earthy tones of grey and cream whilst Rippled Mink is a darker hue with an inherent richness that contrasts with dashes of cream. PWS also offers a 10 year material guarantee and a full template and installation service. 01325 505 522 www.pwsworksurfaces.co.uk
decorative surfaces & worktops kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 27
1. Egger’s PerfectSense gloss and matt range features high reflective values and a mirror finish. The smooth finish is particularly resistant to glosslevel changes and micro-scratches, whilst a UK lacquer process offers matt boards a high resistance to heat and abrasion and antifingerprint characteristics. 01434 602 191• www.egger.com/perfectsense 2. Lustrolite acrylic high gloss wall panelling, available from Abacus Manufacturing Group, is available in a choice of nine vibrant colours including Safari (pictured). The advanced multi-layer acrylic weighs less than traditional glass sheets and claims to have 20 times the impact strength. It is scratch and wear resistant and comes with a 10 year guarantee. www.lustrolite.co.uk
3. Compac’s Unique Calacatta is a pure white quartz worksurface that features the grey vein characteristics of marble. Boasting the natural hardness of quartz, the solid surface offers a waterproof, hygienic finish and, just like nature, features different nuances and patterns in each slab design. www.uniquecalacatta.com
“It is when you start mixing and matching contrasting gloss and matt frontals, perhaps with woodgrain accents or a hardwearing deeplytextured finish, that things really get interesting.” Elliott Fairlie, Head of Décor Development, Egger
decorative surfaces & worktops 28 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 1. The Dekton solid surface range from Cosentino offers flexibility in design, but with essential benefits for indoors and outdoors use including high scratch, stain, heat and UV resistant. The non-porous material is available in three thicknesses from 8mm – 20mm and the range includes more than 30 different options. Pictured Dekton Trillium. 01256 761 229 • www.dekton.co.uk
1 “Thanks to open-plan living continuing to develop, we are seeing a lot of is mixtures of colours and textures within one design to create depth, mood and an overall story to the kitchen. Marble imitations and industrial flavours are popular trends and we will continue to see these grow.” Laura Davie, Marketing Coordinator, Cosentino UK+IE
2. Lightning Marble from Bushboard’s 52-stong Prima laminate worksurface range, harnesses the fashion for grey tones and natural marble. Available in a 22mm thickness, it is available as a worktop, breakfast bar, upstand and splashback. A new, dedicated size of 3000 X 1205mm also makes the ideal island unit. 01933 232 272 • www.bushboard.co.uk 3. IDS has launched its newly updated Tuscan solid wood worktop range. The new family of four Oak worksurfaces include Fossil Oak tracks, Chalked Oak (pictured), Espresso Oak and European Oak. All are constructed from 40mm staves and have the benefit of being pre-finished. The oak has been coated three times with a UV oil so it is ready to fit on site. 08457 298 298 • www.tuscanworksurfaces.co.uk
“The kitchen market as a whole has been increasing steadily since 2011 and is expected to continue growing over the next five years*. This is promising for the kitchen worktops sector since it currently accounts for nine per cent of the market – this includes laminates, composites as well as stone and granite work surfaces.” *Mintel, Kitchens and Kitchen Furniture UK Stephen Moss, Managing Director, Max-Top UK
For when you want to reflect an upmarket look. www.egger.com/perfectsense
PerfectSense Gloss from EGGER is a new generation of high gloss panels. They don’t fade, are hardwearing and offer a new level of reflection only achievable with glass or acrylic. Helping you create a high-end, exclusive look for less. Also now available ‘PerfectSense Matt’, a collection of in-vogue supermatt finishes. For samples go to www.egger.com/shop or t 0845 606 8888.
decorative surfaces & worktops 30 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
minerva® Copper Fleck
minerva® Copper Fleck
minerva® Sparkling White
TIP TOP TRENDS
Sylmar’s flagship range, minerva®, launches four new décors to incorporate the latest interior design trends…
erbyshire-based Sylmar Technology is making waves in the worktop market with its latest additions to the minerva® 25mm solid surface range. The four décors, which are hand finished in the company’s 37,000sqft factory, have been designed to incorporate the on-going use of metallic effects, greys and exotic woods in the kitchen and bathroom industry. Offering the same dynamic design credentials as its predecessors, Caramel Crunch, Copper Fleck, Grey Crystal and Sparkling White, are non-porous. Easily joined without a worktop bolt, each design is ideally suited to areas where hygiene is of utmost importance, making it a popular choice when choosing an integrated sink
design, splashbacks, upstands, hot rods or chopping board. Offering the look and feel of natural stone, without the impractical downsides, the new designs have been designed to last. Not only does the range include a 10 year guarantee against manufacturing defects and has been awarded a prestigious FIRA Gold Award for produce excellence, minor scratches can be removed using a light abrasive pad, giving customers piece of mind. Manufactured in the East Midlands and distributed throughout the UK, Sylmar Technology retailers are supported with A4 brochures, printed colour swatches, countertop sample displays, POS materials and a dedicated website.
For more information please visit newdecors.minervaworksurfaces.co.uk or call 01773 521 300
Extraordinary Surface. Interior and exterior applications: Cladding, Flooring, Furniture, Countertops. Resistant to stains, scratches, chemicals. Easy to clean, light and 100% natural. Maximum format, minimum thickness, different nishes. More than 50 available models. Design, Durability, Versatility, Sustainability.
Shower Walls: CALACATTA Polished Lauren Arabia Residence, Palm Desert - Palm Springs (USA) Designed by Steven Powell.
editor’s choice 32 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
EDITOR’S BATHROOM CHOICE 3
1. Saniflo has extended its range of Kinedo shower cubicles to include a quadrant version of its Moonlight model. Previously only available as a corner unit, the design can be fitted with any shower, allowing for complete customisation and integration. Measuring 900mm x 900mm it comes with a sliding door. 020 8842 0033 • www.saniflo.co.uk 2. Methven has extended its range of cool-to-touch bar showers with two new models, Deva and Kiri Satinjet (pictured). The new showers ensure the bar valves never get warmer than the mixed water temperature and the thermostatic controls have a 38°C default safety setting to prevent scalding. The Kiri Satinjet also includes a built-in diverter, enabling users to switch between the Satinjet handset and a fixed headset, as well as easy-fit connectors for quick and simple installation. 0800 195 1602 • www.methven.com/uk 3. PJH has unveiled a new own-brand shower enclosure range, RefleXion. The largest of the three families, RefleXion 6 features totally hidden fixings (no cover caps), solid metal handles and enclosure types span all designs, including wetroom panels; sliding, pivot, bifold, quadrant and offset quadrant doors, as well as a versatile Full Access enclosure and a desirable Soft-close Slider model. 0800 8 77 88 99 • www.partners.pjh.uk
editor’s choice kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 33 4. With painted timber furniture currently accounting for around 10% of the bathroom furniture market, Utopia Bathrooms has developed the new Roseberry collection. Available in Cotton White, Clotted Cream (pictured), Dove Grey, Blue Lagoon, Peacock Blue and London Grey, the range includes a mix of fitted, freestanding and modular options. 01902 406 402 • www.utopiagroup.com
5. IDS has extended its flooring portfolio with a new range of vinyl flooring, Malmo™. It features ten designs in 2.5mm design options with a 0.55mm wear layer, achieving a heavy commercial classification of 33. Five of the designs are also available in a 2mm option with a 0.3mm wear layer. Malmo™ comes with a warranty of up to 25 years for residential applications and ten years for commercial applications. 08457 298 298 • www.idsurfaces.co.uk 6. Lineal Smoke is one of the 14 new décors in Showerwall’s new, designer-led Infinity Collection, which focuses on bold colours, metallics and graphic prints for a modern, urban look. It reflects the design trends for grey tones and natural materials in one. Available in a high gloss texture and is fast and easy to install with the new Sureseal, four-point seal system. The Showerwall waterproof wallpanelling system comes with a 15 year guarantee. 0845 604 7334 • www.showerwall.co.uk
7. Following the success of the EauZone Plus Sliding Door, Matki has launched the new Curved enclosure. Boasting organic lines the new design is engineered from 10mm solid glass. Available in sizes 900-1500mm, bespoke options are also available up to 2m. 01454 322 888 • www.matki.co.uk
bathroom furniture 34 â€˘ kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Iveo is the latest entry-level bathroom furniture collection from Burgbad. The handless design is available in four finishes and a choice of mineral cast or ceramic washbasins. A flexible selection of vanity tops, base units, mirrors and guest bathroom sets complete the look. 01604 844 133 www.uk.burgbad.com
VICTORIOUS VANITY Form fitting furniture for the modern day bathroomâ€Ś
bathroom furniture kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 35 Furniture has come a long way in recent years, incorporating soft close hinges, internal shelf lighting, mist free mirrors to name but a few. Integrated sound systems and Bluetooth technology are also becoming more popular. I think that giving a product a second use, for example mood lighting in a vanity unit is becoming more important as the product becomes dual use enhancing its saleability.” Margaret Talbot, Marketing Manager, VitrA UK
1. VitrA has unveiled the D-Light bathroom range of washbasins, wall-hung and side units with tailored accessories. The handleless design, which is available in two body colours and four door finishes, includes integrated LED basin lighting and practical storage features including a recessed shelf. The washbasin units come in four widths: 50cm, 70cm, 90cm and 110cm. 01235 750 990 • www.vitraglobal.com 2. Landau’s custom-made Brooklands collection is inspired by handcrafted techniques and takes its inspiration from the Georgian and Victorian period. Available in unique sizes and curved doors, drawers and panels, a traditional in-frame door combined with a classic butt hinge completes the look. 01482 440 680 • www.landau.uk.com
3. The Curvo tall cabinet from Dansani features a handleless design and aluminium shelves. Designed with push to open and soft close hinges, it is available in two colours - Matt Graphite Grey Rubber (pictured) or Matt Lacquer White, and measures 350mm W x 1400mm H. 0800 587 1725 • www.dansani.co.uk 4. Following the success of the floor-standing models in the L-Cube furniture series, Duravit customers can now benefit from floor-standing options in the additional series of Vero, X-Large and Happy D.2. These designs offer more storage capacity than their wall-mounted counterparts and elegantly integrates into any bathroom scheme. 0845 500 7787 • www.duravit.co.uk
bathroom furniture 36 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
“Trends in materials and finishes for bathroom furniture are being driven by the size of the space; White high gloss is particularly popular in more compact situations as a way of reflecting light and making the room appear bigger. Consumers are also keen to introduce natural materials, echoing the trend being seen in kitchen design, with wooden textures being seen on furniture to create an individual finish that is warm and comforting too.” Nicola Hadcroft, Trade Marketing Manager, Twyford
1. The Adriatic Bathroom Furniture collection from Mereway includes a tall cabinet, vanity unit and mirror. Featuring 18mm MFC colour co-ordinated cabinets and colour co-ordinated 8mm solid backs, the design includes pure gloss white sided soft close drawer boxes. Made to order, the furniture range is hand finished in the UK. 0121 706 5750 • www.merewaybathrooms.co.uk 2. The new Roseberry painted timber bathroom furniture range from Utopia Bathrooms features a mix of fitted, freestanding and modular options. Available in Cotton White, Clotted Cream, Dove Grey, Blue Lagoon, Peacock Blue (pictured) and London Grey – new sanitaryware, luxury baths, tiles and accessories complements the design. 01902 406 402 • www.utopiagroup.com
3. The Citterio furniture collection from Keramag Design introduces the trend for mixing materials in the bathroom in a very stylish way, with a vanity unit made from a wooden structure, glass and metal. The range enables a mixture of open and hidden storage to be combined in numerous ways, with vanity units in various sizes, a tall unit and an illuminated mirror that can be specified with additional open shelving. 01926 516 800 • www.keramagdesign.com 4. Laufen’s new furniture collection, Boutique, offers shaped storage spaces and ceramic, slim-line SaphirKeramik washbasins. Unobtrusive solutions such as push-and-pull drawers add to the design. The range also includes vanity units, - which can be combined with a range of washbasins from laufen’s premium collections - combinable furniture modules and a spacious high and semi-high cupboard. 01530 510 007 • www.laufen.co.uk
“In terms of furniture design, particularly towards the top end of the market, trends are mirroring those being seen in the kitchen, with a swing towards mixing materials, a preference for matt finishes over gloss finishes and the move to handleless, push-toopen drawers and doors. A matt finish is appealing because it is less prone to finger marks, while handlefree furniture adds a contemporary touch to the bathroom. Warm, coloured and textured woodgrains are popular as a way of blending muted colours and textured surfaces to create a luxurious finish.” Raffaela De Vittorio, Marketing Director, Keramag Design
bathroom furniture kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 37
With a winning combination of brand, price, quality and design, Pelipal retailers can maximise opportunity in an ever-changing market
BACK TO THE FUTURE Growing through the last recession, Pelipal knows how to maximise every opportunity in an ever-changing market.
Designed specifically for the UK market, the Solitaire 6001 is perfectly proportioned for smaller spaces.
t’s easy to write about Pelipal being one of the most successful bathroom furniture manufacturers in the world, easier still to talk about German engineering, cuttingedge design, unparalleled build quality and impressive pricing. But the question being asked by retailers right now is, “How can I make sure that my business succeeds in an economically unstable period?” Let’s face it, the bathroom industry has taken a real hammering in the last few years and having just survived a recession, we now face the insecurity of a post Brexit market. It could be all doom and gloom but it isn’t. This is the perfect opportunity to create future growth. InHouse sees things a little differently from most. Let’s take the phrase “Opportunityisnowhere”. Some people will see “Opportunity Is No Where”. That’s not the InHouse way. The team see “Opportunity Is Now Here” and so do their independent retailers. If you really want to succeed, take a look at the only brand to increase sales by a staggering 40% in 2015 and achieve the same again this year. And that brand is the No 1 German bathroom manufacturer Pelipal. That’s because InHouse do things differently. “We build national brand awareness and support our local retailers to promote Pelipal’s brand,” explains Wayne Dance,
Managing Director of InHouse. “When consumers are feeling uncertain, they won’t take a risk. They want to purchase from a trusted and respected brand that offers the best quality and value. We make it our job to ensure you stand out and there’s no better way to build consumer desire and confidence, than appearing in the best interior magazines. You’ll find Pelipal in all the leading trade and consumer titles. We even offer free POS material and personalised branding. No other manufacturer offers this level of commitment.” A family-run business operating on a global scale, Pelipal understands that no one knows the market better than the retailer, so they make it their job to listen and go that extra mile in creating the right portfolio. Wayne adds, “With over thirty years’ experience, InHouse knows the market inside out and we work exceptionally hard in supporting our retailers to succeed. Fluctuations in currency will affect the whole industry, so we partner with World First to make sure our retailers can benefit and protect themselves from currency fluctuations. We offer regular trips to Germany to meet a community of likeminded partners who learn from and support each other. When you work with InHouse, you become part of a team. It is our business to help you succeed.”
For more information please visit www.inhouseltd.co.uk and www.inhousecaribbean.com or call 01661 842 304
bathroom furniture 40 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
The Pelipal Solitaire 7020 range features freestanding furniture and the innovative LEDplus, a new lighting system with adjustable colour temperature.
The PCON 3 creates beautifully designed projects that are accessible for all
The Leonardo range features high quality luxurious furniture and finishes, from the sophisticated application of glass through to the beauty of real bamboo.
DESIGNS FOR LIFE Pelipal has increased sales in the UK by a phenomenal 40% in 2015 and 2016 thanks to an exclusive range of designs and retailer support.
ndoubtedly the most impressive and comprehensive selection to date, the 2016 Pelipal collection compromises nothing in terms of creativity, quality and design. With a myriad of cabinet styles, sizes, and finishes sitting alongside a vast array of LED lit mirrors, mirrored cabinets and storage solutions, the planning possibilities are endless. “This is why the best independent retailers are choosing Pelipal,” explains Wayne Dance, Managing Director of InHouse. “When you can create affordable, unique designs each and every time, you open the door to a much wider
market. There is simply no other brand that offers this level of consumer reach.” “Pelipal doesn’t follow trends, they create timeless designs that are already ahead of the game,” says Wayne. “Take the Solitaire 7020, as close to bespoke as it’s possible to be. The freestanding style furniture includes vanity units that create statements and hide ample storage. Additional elements such as dressing tables, rotating cabinets and bench seating can create a natural link between bathroom and bedroom, maximizing planning options and creating unparalleled individuality.” It’s not just furniture that moves with the times. Family life is changing too, with more than one generation now often living under one roof. The over 75 age group is growing faster than any other and over 2.5 million people under 65 are registered disabled. With modular ranges so versatile that no one has to compromise practicality over aesthetics, Pelipal
retailers are able to offer stylish, affordable solutions to suit everybody. Creating a place to unwind remains top of the wish list for modern customers, which is why Pelipal make luxury a priority. It’s not just the stunning high gloss cabinets or double washbasins that create a 5* design, 2016 saw the introduction of the rather clever Music Zone, bringing built-in sounds to the bathroom with a discreet integrated Bluetooth system. Of course, not everyone wants a dream bathroom. Property developers, landlords and residential customers often want the quickest and most cost effective solution for a bathroom update or installation. Wayne adds, “Designed specifically to UK specifications, the back to wall system is perhaps the most affordable in the market, offering minimal work and cost, yet providing maximum storage and style. With Pelipal, retailers can design the very best bathroom for every individual.”
For more information please visit www.inhouseltd.co.uk and www.inhousecaribbean.com or call 01661 842 304
Green is so last year
Standard glass has a green tinge
PureVueHD glass is optically superior and ultra-clear
Standard glass always has a green tinge thatâ€™s particularly apparent when you view the edge of the glass. PureVueHD by comparison is dramatically clearer. Its reduced iron content reduces the greenish hue to zero levels, so the glass almost disappears and the natural beauty of anything seen through it truly shines. From anybody else this dramatic advance would carry a significant premium. From Lakes Bathrooms, where superior comes as standard, this extra clarity comes with no extra cost. Your local Lakes representative will be pleased to show you a side by side comparison and explain more about the brilliance and immediate availability of PureVueHD enclosures, walk-ins and bath screens.
Call your representative or discover more at lakesbathrooms.co.uk/purevue LakesBathrooms
Imagery has been retouched to accurately portray the colour difference between 10mm PureVueHD glass and standard float glass under daylight conditions.
profile 42 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
SHOW & TELL WITH VITRA
VitrA’s Designer Collection showroom display
Leading sanitaryware and furniture manufacturer, VitrA opens its new showroom to K&BJ…
he wait is finally over. Rumours of VitrA’s brand spanking new showroom have been circulating the industry for months, along with talk of a growing team and an engaging product portfolio. Keen to find out more, I was invited to experience the sanitaryware and bathroom furniture manufacturer’s newly launched showroom in Didcot, Oxfordshire, for myself.
The tour didn’t disappoint. If the size of the venture doesn’t bowl you over at first sight, the vast range of products on display certainly will. If you’re anything like me and naturally gravitate towards unique and unashamedly beautiful design, you’ll be in your element. From a striking black sanitaryware collection from renowned designer, Ross Lovegrove and an organic Istanbul bath - which made
profile kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 43
VitrA’s extensive range is on display at the Didcot showroom
VitrA’s Designer Collection on display
VitrA Facts & Figures: • Investment in the Turkish factory has seen an increase in capacity by 20% • The current capacity is 5 million pieces of ceramic per year • VitrA sold 425,000 pieces of CSW in 2015 and 330,000 pieces so far in this year • VitrA sold 8,500 pieces of furniture in 2015 and has sold 7,500 pieces so far in this year
VitrA’s V-care shower toilet demonstration area
its debut on reality TV show Big Brother - to the 38-strong range of sleek flush plates that could easily be mistaken for modern wall art, the showroom is awash with innovative design and is the ultimate playground for bathroom designers. Boasting two floors measuring 8x60m and 8x10m, the showroom has been split into four distinctive rooms: The Designer Collection, The Bathroom Collection, Burgbad and Tiles. Epitomising the strong marketing message that VitrA has something for everyone, each display ranges in both size and price, whilst showcasing the additional options available. Margaret Talbot, Marketing Manager of VitrA UK explains, “We wanted to put a sense of order to our portfolio and with the recent introduction of our extended Burgbad range and tile range, we wanted to create a space that would not only help us to promote our products but future proof the company, too.”
The Turkish manufacturer’s latest developments include the award-winning V-care shower toilet, which has rightly claimed its own demonstration area in the showroom. Displayed alongside complementary sanitaryware, including a Water Smart Urinal, its inclusive design and easy-to-use features have resulted in a surge of UK sales. VitrA continues to see success with its award-winning range of flush plates and frames, both of which are displayed in the showroom. Encouraged by the success of the range over the last 12 months, VitrA is set to introduce new designs to both its flush plates and frames, including a short frame concept which is set to be launched next year. “It’s the unique fixing system that has made our frames so popular,” explains Margaret. “Whilst many frames only include two fixings, our design incorporates four - two on the floor and two on the wall – making our For more information please visit www.vitraglobal.com
frames extremely robust. Innovations such as this are a key differentiator for VitrA.” So what does the future hold for VitrA UK? The team is keeping further developments under wraps – including ongoing projects in the contract market following its success at Heathrow terminals four and five - but there is talk of additional V-care features being launched next year, exciting collaborations with new designers, quirky furniture ranges and plans to mark VitrA’s 25th birthday in style. Intrigued? You’re not the only one…
Margaret Talbot, Marketing Manager of VitrA UK
sanitaryware 44 â€˘ kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
Wild is the latest collection of bathroom suites and basins from Bauhaus. Crafted from vitreous china, the new WCs have been teamed with a range of countertop basins, vanity units and bathroom furniture. Available in two size options, the Wild basins come with a flat base for easy installation. Complete the look with a striking deck or wall-mounted tap to create a statement feature in the bathroom. 0345 873 8840 â€˘ www.bauhaus-bathrooms.co.uk
SANITARY SOLUTIONS An integral part of bathroom design, manufacturers are blurring the lines between classic and modern to create greater longevity and up-market design
sanitaryware kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 45
“A key trend in sanitaryware currently, particularly at the top end of the market, is towards soft curves and organic shapes. As with kitchens, bathroom design is embracing soft shapes, organic colours and textures, all of which maximise on comfort levels and give the space a spa-like quality and this is particularly apparent in sanitaryware.” Raffaela De Vittorio, Marketing Director, Keramag Design
1. The EP-1 operating panel from Roca uses infrared technology to create a touchless flush solution. EP-1 can be set to flush upon a wave of a hand or automatically after the user has used the toilet. The black glass design also features a cleaning mode that temporarily disables all functions to allow the user to clean the operating panel. 01530 830 080 • www.uk.roca.com 2. Bathroom brand R2 has extended its sanitaryware collection with a new range, Radar. Complementing the pedestal basin, the close-coupled WC, which measures 375mmW by 855mmH, has a projection of 645mm. The back to wall WC measures 365mmW by 420mmH, has a projection of 560mm. Both are available with a slim, soft close Thermoset WC seat, rimless design and features R2’s new Easi-Clean technology for added hygiene. 01225 303 900 • www.r2bathrooms.co.uk
3. Aqualisa’s iLux Digital Bath features digital thermostatic bathing technology that allows the user to programme their perfect water temperature and depth via a waterproof, wireless remote control. The LED display also includes a ‘hot top up’ button. The bath also features a retractable hand shower, which keeps the hose neatly coiled away when not in use. 01959 560 020 • www.aqualisa.co.uk 4. The Thomas Crapper Marlborough Bath Set features a stone resin bath and highly detailed bath shower mixer. The bath and shower mixer can either be mounted on floor stand-pipes (unions) or wall unions. As with all its brassware, the finished items are available in polished brass, bright nickel or chromium plate. 01789 450 522 • www.thomas-crapper.com 5. The Summit 2.0 bathroom collection from Alternative Bathrooms features a wide range of modular gloss and matt lacquered bathroom furniture and coordinated baths, basins (pictured) and mirrors. 020 3375 9002 • www.alternativebathrooms.com
sanitaryware 46 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
“Technologically advanced bathroom solutions are modernising our approach to how consumers are using their bathroom, and therefore how we design and ultimately fulfil this clear demand from techsavvy consumers. Playing to the ‘anywhere, anytime’ generation, technologically advanced bathroom solutions that are able to connect to smart devices are modernising all aspects of the bathroom: from design and style through to quality of performance.” Andrew Crellen, The Bathroom Shop
1. The Pure Whirlpool collection from Smiths Briten features two types of jet massage, ambient lighting and deluxe one and two-person baths. Whirlpool jets create a powerful hydro massage by feeding air through the water and are arranged to target pressure points for maximum stress relief. An underwater lighting system is also included. Pictured: Tenbury Bath. 0845 634 4321 • www.purebathroomcollection.co.uk 2. RAK Ceramics’ has introduced a new closecoupled, corner WC and basin to its best-selling Origin 62 range. The new designs join a closecoupled and back to wall WC, and three further basins in a full pedestal and semi-recessed format. All Origin 62 sanitaryware features a soft close seat and quick release button for easy cleaning. 01730 237 850 • www.rakceramics.co.uk
3. Frontline Bathrooms prepares to unveil its brand new Aquanatural Collection this Autumn. A selection of solid surface products which look just like natural stone and feel indulgently smooth to the touch, the brand new Aquanatural collection includes freestanding baths, floor standing cloakroom and countertop basins and stylish wall hung furniture. 0845 470 2427 • www.frontlinebathrooms.co.uk 4. The Mezzanine sanitaryware collection from BAGNODESIGN features the Mezzanine washbasin. Available in White, matt White or matt Back, the ceramic basin is available in four widths, from 440mm for compact settings, up to a double basin version at 1200mm. It can also be installed on a countertop or wall-mounted. A WC and furniture range completes the look. 01924 233 976 • www.sanipexgroup.co.uk
heating & ventilation 48 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
The Teso Steel Vertical Radiator from Iconic is available in a wide range of colours and bespoke RAL options. Measuring H1500 x W250mm, it has been designed from aluminium and comes with a five year guarantee. 01342 305 579 www.iconicradiators.co.uk
THE HEAT IS ON
The latest heating and ventilation products that really are too hot to handle…
heating & ventilation kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 49 1. One of eight bathroom towel warmer ranges from Vasco, the Zana range is available in an array of natural, metallic, matt and mineral colours and finishes. Pictured in a mid blue mineral finish, the dual duel towel warmer can work off the central heating and can be turned on and off using an electric connection for efficient heat control. www.vasco.eu
2. Bisque has launched the Lisette Towel radiator. Part of the Aluminium collection, it benefits from eco-friendly technology and has been crafted from recycled aluminium for effective heating. Available in three sizes, it comes in a white and volcanic finishes. Bespoke options also available. 01276 605 800 • www.bisque.co.uk 3. The Avonmore towel warmer from Myson is available in straight or curved versions and a choice of hydronic, electric only or dual fuel models. Manufactured from steel, it can be installed on an indirect heating system only. Using the recommended heater kit ECO450, the Avonmore can be run through an electric connection when the central heating is switched off. 0845 402 3434 • www.myson.co.uk
4. Brand new for 2016, Aestus has launched Sigma, part of its Contemporary Towel Warmer Collection. Made from mild steel, the contemporary towel warmer has a standard width of 600mm and three height variations: 1088mm, 1400mm and 1712mm. The Sigma delivers a heat output of up to 2668 Btu/hr (782 Watts). 01902 387 080 • www.aestus.co.uk
heating & ventilation 50 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 1. The Decoral Vertical radiator from MHS Radiators is a modern, lightweight vertical aluminium radiator. Its slim design ensures it fits into the narrowest of spaces and its light frame makes it suitable for hanging on dry-lined walls whilst offering substantial heat output. This futuristic radiator is 1,866mm high and available in widths ranging from 240mm to 640mm, utilising an 80mm sectional design. 01268 546 700 • www.mhsradiators.co.uk
2. Gaia’s flush-mounted temperature sensor – which can be embedded into the wall, ceiling or floor - uses a thermistor that senses room temperature and sends a signal, via a two-core cable, to a remote thermostat. Heating is controlled room-byroom either by the Gaialink control panel, which is set manually via a touch-pad, or by individual programmable thermostats which can be set and adjusted via a smartphone app. 01359 242 400 • www.gaia.co.uk 3. Vogue UK’s Silent MV fan range can be used in a multitude of small and medium fan installations. The design incorporates sound absorbent insulation to limit noise. Fitted with two speed motors, it features a 360 rotating connection box and is IP44 rated. 01902 387 000 • www.vogueuk.co.uk
MARKET INSIGHT K&B Journal takes to Steve Birch, Sales Director, Vogue (UK) about the latest heating and ventilation innovations How is technology changing the way we heat our bathrooms? “The last 25 years has seen technological advancements come to the fore to meet the needs of the “next generation”, giving greater user control over heat output and individual preferences. Features such as concealed valves, adjustable fixings or built-in thermostatic controls for practical placement and maximum user convenience, continue to gain momentum in the heating market and make perfect sense in the bathroom. For those positioned at the premium end of the market, then
heating solutions need to be completely unique and this is seeing bespoke design services become more prevalent to allow each aspect of design to be tailored to individual requirements.”
What are the latest innovations to be introduced to market? A highly original concept, Vogue (UK) has introduced the innovative dished blanking plug are on the rise: a small but highly dynamic feature allowing the homeowner to simply add fragrance in the bathroom via a towel warmer. The vast choice of fragrances available make it possible to bring the luxury of a spa in to the domestic home for the height of luxury and fragrance: earthy, woody, fruity, floral, herbal or even spicy.
How can manufacturers and retailers inform consumers of the importance of good ventilation in the bathroom room? Consumers are often influenced by what impacts them directly, whether in financial terms or more personal aspects such as health and lifestyle. This fact can be used to the advantage of manufacturers and retailers by stressing the dangers of a non-ventilated bathroom with the
most pertinent being moisture. An open invitation to mould, bacteria and insects, poor ventilation in the bathroom can cause severe property damage as well as increase potential health hazards. Manufacturers and retailers may find it is therefore in their interest to provide information instore and online as to why it is beneficial for customers to keep their bathrooms ventilated and combat odours, moisture or cleaning fumes.
Noise is often associated with bathroom ventilation. Do you offer a quieter option? Noisy ventilation is one of the major causes of frustration for consumers, as it is a common occurrence for many fan systems to become increasingly loud with general wear and tear. As such, manufacturers are now designing and manufacturing products which specifically look at noise pollution. At the premium end of the market, additional smart features such as ‘sealed for life ball bearings’ ensure increased quality and performance, low energy options to reduce power consumption or sound absorbent insulation are now a common feature and I am sure development in this area is set to continue.
business news kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016 • 51
1. SIDS has appointed Jamie Ibbetson to the new position of Regional Sales Manager North. He strengthens the Panel Products division of the business and will be responsible for three Business Development Managers, driving the panel sales strategy for the north, managing the sales team & developing new business. Jamie has previously worked for Howden Joinery, Lawcris, Meyer Timber and James Latham. 08457 298 298 • www.idsurfaces.co.uk 2. BA Clic Components will begin production of the Uniclic for Furniture range of cabinetry (ClicBox) and other Clic components from a newly refurbished 52,000 sq ft factory at Barbados Way, Hellaby in Rotherham from 1st September. The establishment will bring 40 new jobs to the local area and brings this innovative production process to UK. 07738 904 127 • www.baclicbox.com 3. PWS has announce the appointment of Matt Dalton as Brand Manager, with responsibility for the management of PWS’ leading kitchen brands BioGraphy, 1909 and Second Nature, and the soon to be launched Kindred bedrooms. Matt takes over the position from Richard Gates, who has been promoted to the newly-created position of Kitchen Category Manager. 01325 505 529 • www.pws.co.uk
4. RAK Ceramics has established a new Contracts Team within its expanding Projects Department. The new team of six includes Scott Adams, Jess Paddock and Paul Midgley from within the company, and Ben Bryden, David Ralph-Bates and Mark Chatfield who joined RAK earlier this year. The team will work with RAK’s growing project portfolio, and tile and sanitaryware specification in new commercial markets. 01730 237 850 • www.rakceramics.co.uk 5. Essential Bathrooms has introduced its largest ever product brochure plus new point of sale material to support showroom displays at displaying retailers. The new 64-page page brochure showcases its complete portfolio, including the recently launched furniture ranges – Ivy Suite and Brassware. Offering aspirational room settings give customers a variety of ideas for their new ideal bathroom, together with full technical information. www.essentialfromideal.com
business news 52 • kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
1. Sanipex Group has appointed James Howes as its Operations Manager. Based at the company’s European head quarters in Leeds, James will be responsible for the management and development of Sanipex Group UK’s procurement, warehousing, quality and technical teams. James’s role will help further improve and deliver a highly efficient, customer focused operating model. 01924 233 977 • www.sanipexgroup.co.uk
2. The Leeds branch of national surface materials distributor IDS has been awarded the prestigious Diamond Award from parent company Saint Gobain for demonstrating exemplary and world-class commitment to Environmental Health & Safety. The award was presented to Raja Hussain, branch manager at IDS Leeds at the Les Miroirs Building, the Paris headquarters of Saint Gobain. 08457 298 298 • www.idsurfaces.co.uk 3. Mereway Group celebrated the opening of the expansion to one of its factories with a visit from Andy Street, Managing Director at John Lewis. Mr Street joined business owners Bob and Richard Norris to mark the opening an additional 2000 sq. ft., adding 10% to the existing 17,500 sq. ft. site. The £500,000 investment at the Amington Road premises will create 10 new jobs for the company. 0121 706 7844 • www.merewaykitchens.co.uk
directory --APPLIANCES --
- - BATHROOMS - -
--CARCASSES -Manufacturers of quality kitchen and bedroom carcasses • 50 Egger colours • 18mm rigid built with 18mm solid backs • Blum Antaro soft close drawers • Blum soft close hinges • Delivery throughout the UK
We also manufacture made to measure Acrylic and PVC edged doors
Tel: 0121 788 2810 email@example.com
directory kitchen & bathroom journal october 2016
VR SOFTWARE SELLS KITCHENS, BEDROOMS AND BATHROOMS. Call
0114 250 8889 today for a FREE trial CD. www.nexuscad.com --DOORS --
• Solid one piece MDF, any size • Cock bead or square • Raw, primed or painted • High gloss available • No joints, cracking or warping!
As suppliers to the kitchen trade we offer any colour ultra high gloss finish as well as our offering of any colour painted wood and matt painted finishes. To have a look at what Marpatt can offer call 0116 2743943 or email sales@ marpatt.co.uk to receive a copy of the Marpatt product brochure featuring the entire range of products and accessories.
MDF specialist manufacturer
• High impact, moisture resistant
Looking for a new Kitchen Door Supplier with the Ultimate Painted Offering?
The Cupboard Door Company T: 01323 899944 W: cupboarddoor.co.uk
- - KITCHENS - -
- - WORKTOPS - -
Kitchen and Bedroom Doors
To advertise in the classified directory call Eoin on 01502 732515
Made to Measure 7 Day Dispatch Prices from £3.58 + VAT
01825 700164 KitchenDoorWorkshop.co.uk
- - S I N K S & TA P S - -
alabaster, coco bolo
The KITCHEN COLLECTION Order Your Copy Today
Cookstown: +44 (0) 2886 764600 Doncaster: +44 (0) 1302 890555 firstname.lastname@example.org