Page 1

Harold Paregien by Stan Paregien Sr Copyrighted Dec. 5, 2012

Harold Arvien Paregien was born on 5 Dec., 1912 to Frank and Mattie Paregien at Coleman (Johnston County), Okla. This document, then, has been formulated to honor and remember him on this the 100th anniversary of his birth. He was the second child, as back on 20 Oct., 1910, they had delivered a baby boy, Marvin Franklin Paregien, born in Lehigh and delivered by a Dr. Brown. That was when Frank Paregien worked in the dangerous coal mining industry between Lehigh and Coalgate. And his parents, James Alexander Paregien and his first wife Harriet, were living in the Lehigh area. She is buried in the Lehigh cemetery. He is buried at the Old Soldiers & Sailors Home/Cemetery in Quincy, IL.

James Alexander Paregien, a Union army soldier during the Civil War, and his first wife Harriet (Brummett) in about 1910

On 5 Dec., 1912, Mattie told Frank he better go get the doctor. Frank rode his horse as fast as he could to the doctor's house; but the doctor was too sick to come and died in about a week. Mrs. Joe Hancock, Mrs. George (Emily) Paregien and Mrs. Hargrove were with Mattie. When Frank returned home, he found a new 8 1/2 lb. boy. They named him Arvin Harold Paregien and called him "Harold". A "blue norther" hit that night and they had a hard time keeping everybody from freezing. They called him "Harold". [NOTE: Most of his life he was known as Harold Paregien or as A.H. Paregien (i.e., Arvien Harold Paregien or Arvin Harold Paregien). The story about how H.A. Paregien became A.H. Paregien is this: I recall him saying that when he signed up with some government agency (either the Draft Board or for his Social Security card, as I recall) that they got "Harold" and "Arvien" reversed. So he just continued to use it that way. I did not realize, until 2005, that "Arvin" as I had known his "first" name was actually spelled "Arvien" when he was born.--SP] Harold was a big, fat, healthy baby for about six months. Then he got "exema" all over his head. His scalp was just a solid sore, often bleeding. Mattie recalls how she cried many, many times for fear that he was going to die. One of their neighbors, Mrs. Eli Smith, told them to get some cuticure ointment and to use it on his head. They did, and it started getting better. In about two months it was well, but Mattie just knew that he would never have any hair on his head. She was thrilled to death when she saw some little fuzz appearing on his head. By the way, the husband of Mrs. Smith (noted above) was the one who, during the World War I rationing program in 1918-19, informed the authorities that Frank Paregien had hoarded some flour. He had to return it. (QUESTION: Is this "Eli" Smith the William Edwin Smith mentioned in THE HISTORY OF JOHNSTON COUNTY, p. 260??) Frank and Mattie went to visit some neighbors when Harold was about 3 months old. Harold was asleep when they arrived, so they put him off in a bedroom and covered him up. After an hour or so he started crying. When Mattie picked him up, he was "as black as could be" all over. It about scared all of them to death. Mattie said that Frank took off on horseback for the doctor in Coleman (four miles away) "and it was just freezing and popping". The doctor said that Harold's blood was congested and that he had almost frozen to death. They warmed big blankets and quilts by the wood stove and kept putting

those around him. George Paregien, Frank's brother, lived about 1/2 mile from where they were visiting, so George took them to his house and Emily helped Mattie take care of Harold. It took them three days to get his skin to return to its normal color. Mattie recalled that one time she put Harold to bed on a summer afternoon. He was getting big enough to crawl off the bed, but had never done it. She went to see about him after awhile. But she couldn't find him. She ran and yelled at Frank, who was working out in the field. When she went back and looked under the bed, Harold was climbing back into the house through a hole in the wall.

Modern map detailing the northeast part of Johnson County and the northwest part of Atoka County, so you can see the relationship between Boggy Depot (the spot where the first Paregiens settled in the Indian Territory), Wapanucka and Coleman.

On 13 Feb., 1915, Frank and Mattie Paregien had their first daughter, Alva Loretha Paregien, who weighed in at about 7 lbs. Dr. Snider (or Snyder?) delivered her. James A. Paregien's second wife-- Tennie Mae Pareien -- was there to assist. She was a trained midwife. Mattie's mother, Margaret Ann Bogle Duke (or Dukes), was living with them at the time, there in Coleman (The 1920 population of Coleman was 500 people). But she was very sick with tuburculosis She coughed and spit up blood, and could barely get around. Mattie said Frank was still working on the farm as a sharecropper (a contradiction to her previous statement that they bought the land). And apparently Frank's father, James Alexander Paregien, was living with them as well. [Question: What happened to Tennie Mae Hicks between Feb., 1915 and James's death in Dec., 1915? All we know is they separated and went their respective ways, and she may be buried in Bernie, Missouri. ]

Death of Mattie's Mother, Margaret Ann Bogle Nolen in 1917 Mattie's mother – Margaret Ann Bogle Nolen -- had been growing weaker and weaker, and she died on 4 Dec., 1917 at Wapanucka. Frank made her small tombstone of native sandstone. He carved “M.A. Nolen” on it. Stan Paregien, Sr., first saw the tombstone at the Ego-Coleman (Johnston County) Cemetery in about 1972. Over the years the sandstone marker got to where it was bearly readable, so Stan and Peggy Paregien and cousin Jerry Paregien went together and bought a new tombstone for her grave. It was installed in the summer of 2010 when the workers also installed a tombstone for the grave of Harold's wife, Evelyn, who died earlier that year and was buried near her parents in the small Enterprise Cemetery southwest of Wapanucka. Stan now has the old tombstone in his possession and in a protected area.

This Henry .C. Pearigen was a half-brother to James A. Paregien (though Henry used a variant spelling of the family name). Henry and his wife and four children lived right there in Wapanucka, too.

On 25 March, 1918, Eupel Laflo Paregien, an 8 lb. girl, was born to them. She was delivered by Dr. S.S. Haberley, of Wapanucka, . Frank was still farming at Wapanucka, for Earl Q. Grey. He moved his family to another house, this one 3 miles north of Wapanucka on Highway 7 ("Three mile corner"). Harold began school at Cedar Grove School. Then he attended Wilson School (located 4 miles east of Wapanucka).

This 1919 photo shows Frank & Mattie Paregien with their children (l to r): Loretha, Marvin (top), Harold & Eupel.

Harold began smoking cigarettes at the ripe old age of seven, in about 1919. Just look at that photo, above, of him and image a kid starting such an addictive habit so young. In many family photos, he will be seen holding a cigarette. He was a serious chain-smoker virtually all of his life. He preferred the roll-your-own Prince Albert tobacco. All of his shirts and pants had several tiny holes where ashes had dropped and burned. He had a smoker's cough most of his adult life, and suffered from emphysema for several years before his death. He died of lung cancer, rendered inoperable because of his emphysema.

On 26 Oct., 1920, Frank and Mattie's third son was born. They named him Warren Bueford Harding Paregien, after the 29th President of the U.S. (but whose name was Warren G. Harding). In 1920, Wapanucka had a population of 1,000. It had a bank and a weekly newspaper, THE WAPANUCKA PRESS (some of which is on microfilm at the Okla. State Historical Society).

Oklahoma State Bank of Wapanucka in 1920, with S.L. Barnes and Nora Ball Smith.

The Royal Theater with owner Adolphus Holliday and his son Homer in 1920

Frank Paregien had a brother named Will, shown here with his wife Mary and daughter Jewell in 1920. They lived in southeastern Oklahoma, in the Smithville area.

The Wapanucka Press reported on 23 June, 1922 that Frank Pearigen [sic., SP] paid $205 in property taxes. That was a considerable amount of money back then. On 29 Sept., 1923, their fourth son, Lavada Myrel Paregien, was born. They still lived at Wapanucka, but had moved closer to town (2 miles north). One day in about 1924, Frank was in the woods with Marvin and Harold and they were cutting wood for the cook stove. Harold stopped to rest, and stuck his double-

bladed axe into a stump. Then, as a normal 11-year-old kid might do, he climbed up a nearby tree to play. But he accidentally fell out of the tree and landed on that ax, right on his bottom. It cut him real good, and they rushed him to Dr. Haberly’s office and got him sewed up. They went home and when they told Mattie and the girls what happened, Eupel fainted right on the spot.

Shown here in this 1924 photo are Frank and Mattie Paregien and their six children: (l to r) Harold, Eupel, Bueford, Myrel, Marvin and Loretha.

Wapanucka School photo in 1924. Harold Paregien is in the front row, second from the left. His cousins, who spelled their name differently, are Dora Pearigen (4th row, with the doll), Melvin Pearigen 5th row, 3rd from right) and Bird Pearigen (5th row, 2nd from right). Henry Pearigen, the father of Dora and Melvin and Bird, was an uncle to Harold’s father, Frank.

The family moved 2 miles north of Wapanucka (on the east side of Highway 48) and he began 2nd or 3rd grade at Wapanucka.

Evelyn & Harold & Peggy Paregien in 1969 in front of the old house where Harold and his parents and siblings once lived just north of Wapanucka.

It seemed to Frank and Mattie that they spent a fourth of their life running to the storm cellar ("fraidy hole") to escape tornados. And most of the time at night. They

had to drag the little kids out of bed, get their clothes on quickly, and head for the cellar. Often the winds were blowing 40 mph. or better and it was usually raining, too. Mattie said, "Of course, in the summer time we never had shoes handy. So we went barefooted to the cellar. And when we came back, we had to wash our feet before we could go back to bed. And, oh, we would be so sleepy. We always tried to take a nap while we were in the cellar. We kinda worried about and frowned at the frogs, spiders and snakes that were sometimes in the cellar when we were there. But after a little while, we would be so sleepy that we would forget about them. If we didn't hurt them, they wouldn't hurt us." One time they all rushed to the cellar as a storm approached. After they had closed the door, Harold kept trying to get his overalls buttoned. It took him a long time to live down the fact that he had them on backwards. They just had a cistern to catch the rainwater, so naturally it went dry every summer. Then they had to haul water from wells around in the neighborhood. And by the time they got home with it, it was hot water. Mattie had to have help washing all of their clothes on the rub-board. So he would keep Marvin out of school one day of one week and then the next week she would keep Harold home one day to help. She said Harold was the best hand to wash. He would get at it and get the job done, whereas Marvin "fiddled around" and found too many things to play with. As with other country folks, they boiled their cloths outdoors in a big black kettle. There on the farm, Frank and sons Marvin and Harold often had 25 cows to milk morning and evening. Those cows would switch their tails across the men's faces. Those flying objects often were weighted down with manure, mud and cockleburs. When the men finished milking, then they had to run the separator to divide the cream from the milk. Then they washed that separator (which had 36 discs), and it was a big job. Harold usually tried to get part of his "pay" for all that hard work by drinking some of the cream. He loved it. When Harold came in at night, he always managed to get some of the cream which Mattie had fixed up to sell in town. But that didn't matter to him. He loved that cream. They had no refrigerators, of course. In fact, they didn't even have an "ice box" for years and years. Therefore, they had plenty of "blinky" milk and lots of melted butter in the summer. Harold called the butter "salve" because it was so melted and putrid looking. And in the summer, the eggs tasted so strong that they could hardly

eat them. And the old cows would eat bitterweeds or wild onions, which made their milk taste awful. Frank bought his first car, a 1924 "Model T" Ford, in 1925 or 1926. A few evening later, Frank drove in and zoomed past the cistern and crashed through the garage, winding up in Mattie's garden. He had forgotten how to stop the car. Harold completed the 7th grade there in about 1925. So at the ripe old age of about 13, Harold Paregien dropped out of school to farm with his father and brother Marvin. He attended the Methodist Church.

Henry C. Pearigen (i.e., Paregien) in 1925 with his two sons: Melvin L. and Bird Pearigen. Henry was one of the first trustees of the town of Wapanucka.

This photo was probably taken near Wapanucka or Coleman, Oklahoma in 1926. Left to right: William Lee White (husband of Pearl Paregien), Edd Paregien, George W. Paregien, Clyde Kendrick (big black hat; husband of Myrtle Paregien), Frank Paregien, Harold Paregien, unidentified man in a shadow, Marvin Paregien and Auburn Paregien.

Mattie said that Harold always took a nap after the noon meal there on the farm. Grandpa James A. Paregien used to say that Harold was his "little soldier," and that he would make a good soldier because he could sleep anywhere. To his last days, Harold was always known for napping. When he worked on ranches in California, his modis operandi was to come in for lunch and then, after eating, he would lie down on the floor and take a 20 minute nap. Mattie said that Harold used to be Dr. S.S. Haberly's right-hand man. She said that the doctor stopped at their house many times for Harold to go on a call with him. Mattie sometimes assisted Dr. Haberly with births and with minor surgical procedures. The Johnston County Capital-Democrat on 24 May, 1928 reported a list of Personal Property Valuations issued for taxation purposes. It listed one “B.T. Paregain” [probably B.F. Paregien] in Brogdon township, Johnston County as having property taxes of $415. By 1929, the population of Wapanucka had boomed to some 2,000 people. There were two dentists and at least six doctors. There was Ford car dealership, a pool hall, an “opera house,” a millinery shop, an oil mill, roller skating rink, bottling works and an ice plant. They actually had dances in the Opera house, with live orchestras.

Besides several active churches, there was a Domino Club, Ladies Literary Club, Chautauqua speeches, community baseball games, and three community picnics each summer. The KO&G (Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf) railroad crossed the Rock Island railroad south of town and went through “Old Town�. In 1931 or 1932, their barn burned about 11 p.m. Mattie Paregien said it was the most she had ever been scared in her life. Their neighbor, Mrs. Owen McNutt, saw a flame and had her son run over and warn the Paregiens. Then Frank and Marvin Paregien, with help from Owen McNutt and his boys, got the cows, horses, hogs, cats and chickens out. Mattie said that son Harold had gone to a Holiness Church revival at Clarita that night, and she was afraid that he had come back and was in the barn. But he and Emmet Lowe finally rode up, riding double on Harold's horse named "Blue Dog". They had not come home earlier because Emmet's horse broke its leg.

Harold Paregien always like to play baseball up into his mid-twenties. He played on several community baseball teams. They say he could run like the wind. However, Stan Paregien Sr. never, ever saw his dad run. In about 1933, Frank and his brother George made a trip to Arkansas to visit their brother, Will. They took along Harold and Auburn. Before they got there, they decided to try to fool Will by not letting him know who they were. It was dark and they knocked on the door. Will Paregien came to the door and George did all of the talking. He explained that they had some horses for sale or trade. They all went inside and George began to tell Will all about their horses. Will seemed pretty interested. Then Frank busted out laughing, and Will recognized them. Marie Paregien Walker (daughter of Eura Paregien) wrote to Stan Paregien, Sr., on April 6, 2005 and recalled those days: "I can well remember Uncle Frank visiting Grandpa Will. Talk about laughing and singing - it was always such a happy time."

Harold worked for a while for his brother-in-law, Alvin Young, who operated a water-well drilling company out of Duncan, Okla. This photo was taken when he and Alvin and Harold's sister, Loretha, were working in Scottsdale, Wyoming in 1936.

In 1939, Harold Paregien managed a gasoline station just across the street from the present-day old post office, on Highway 48. Alvin Young, husband of Loretha Paregien, put up the money to lease the service station. Mattie said that she spent many hours wondering if Harold was alright when he was running that place, as he worked night and day at it. She said that he stayed up so late and didn't eat regularly, and slept there at the station lots of nights. It was a financial flop, losing several hundred dollars. Mattie said that the people who had the most money would accumulate the largest charge bills and wouldn't pay them.

This 1939 photo shows Harold Paregien at the small gas station he ran in Wapanucka. It was located a block or so south of the main intersection (Highway 7 and Highway 48), the east side of Highway 48. The lines on the cement were drawn there the night before when there was a "cake walk" contest right there.

Harold in 1969 in front of the same building which had been the office of his gas station thirty years before.

He helped his parents farm land there in and near Wapanucka. Frank also drove the "school wagon" on the north Wapanucka route for about two years to supplement his income. Arthur Montgomery (a relative of the Cauthen's) and Frank each hauled about a dozen kids each. Frank got $75 a month for that. Wapanucka's "Old Town" In 1940, they moved to "Old Town" about one mile west of the present business area and about 1/4 mile south (The original stores in Wapanucka burned down and they rebuilt the business section about a mile east.). Frank bought the old Richardson home place (Mr. & Mrs. Melvin Horton were living in it at the time, and someone still lived in the house in the late 60's). There were 26 city lots, with a good well and a barn. They raised cotton and sugar cane. Frank also rented some farming land from Tom Evans (Tom's wife was Arthur Montgomery's sister. See JOHNSTON COUNTY HISTORY, p. 103-05). It was near Wapanucka, and Frank and Harold farmed that.

Mattie said that Harold went with some of the "roughest, toughest girls in the country. But I never did worry about him marrying one of them. I always said when he got ready to settle down he would get a good one."

Harold with Ileen Blair in 1935. Note the cigarette in Harold’s right.

Harold had known Evelyn Cauthen for many years. But they started going together when they met one night at a square dance. Harold was a very good square dancer.

On 21 Dec., 1940, Harold married Evelyn Lilly Cauthen at Davis, Okla., at the home of Orval Johnson, a preacher for the Church of Christ. Evelyn was born to John W. and Veda Cauthen at Wapanucka, Okla., on 13 May, 1922. Harold was 28 years old, while Evelyn was 18.

Evelyn Cauthen in 1940

Evelyn Cauthen had known Harold Paregien and his family for many years. While her mother would not let her go to traditional dances, she did let Evelyn go to “parties” at area homes. And there was lots of square-dancing going on there. In fact, she and Harold started going together when they met one night at a square dance at somebody’s home. Harold was a very good square dancer. “That’s how come I fell for Harold. He loved to square dance and he was a wonderful dancer,” Evelyn said in 1985. “But it wasn’t long after we got married that he lost interest in square dancing and didn’t want to go anymore.” They lived with the B.F. Paregien's in "north" or "old" Wapanucka for nearly a year. Stan Paregien, Sr., still has the dresser that her parents (John & Vada Cauthen) gave to Harold and Evelyn to help them set up housekeeping.

Their first real home, apart from in-laws, was in the Jim Parker house (formerly Tom Carnell's), 1/2 mile south of Wapanucka, going towards Coleman, on the right side of the road and set back maybe 300 yards. [See photo, below]

Evelyn recalls that there was a large blood stain in the middle of the living room floor, where the woman who had lived there before them was murdered by an unknown assailant. Evelyn was never able to scrub away or even to really hide that "spooky" spot on the floor. Harold began working for the railroad (just as his father and his uncle Henry Pearigen and many other kinfolk had done). Then he worked at a sawmill. One night Harold was on his way home and had a flat. While he was changing his flat, a big man named George Jones came by (Harold was never over 135 lbs. and stood only 5' 8" tall). Jones was drunk. He walked over and, without warning, knocked Harold to the ground. Harold got up and hit him back, and Jones left. The next morning, Jones was found dead on the railroad tracks. Jones' parents accused

Harold of killing him. But Dr. Haberly testified that he was killed by being run over by the train. This happened shortly after Harold and Evelyn were married. Walter Dunn was a correspondent for the Wapanucka area to the Johnson County Capital-Democrat newspaper in the county seat town of Tishomingo, Oklahoma. He wrote this article in the April 10, 1941 issue: _____ "George Jones was found dead Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. by Norby Norris. His body was discovered on the K.O. & G. railroad a mile and a quarter north of town. "Mr. Norris informed the city marshal at this place and he at once notified the sheriff's department. County Attorney Charles E. Draper and Deputy Sheriff Charley Dry arrived shortly on the scene. "Judge Waller impaneled a jury consisting of Raymond Harrison, C.A. Montgomery, Lloyd Hopper, Alfred Prichard, James Parker and John Romines and proceeded to hold an inquest. After viewing the body the remains were taken to the Keith and Son Funeral Home, where an autopsy was performed. Upon receiving a report on it the jury immediately rendered a verdict that the deceased came to his death by being struck by a train. "Mr. Jones was last seen alive by a friend, as he was leaving town, going north on the track at 1 a.m. The supposition is that he was killed by the southbound fast freight that arrived here at 1:25 a.m. "He was 26 years old and lived with his parents, three miles north of here. Besides his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Rube Jones, he has a brother, Woodrow Jones of Wapanucka, and a sister, Mrs. Lee Bond of Oklahoma City. Services were held Wednesday afternoon in the Okeene church, with burial in the church cemetery." _____ In describing the last property that she and Frank owned in Wapanucka, Mattie said: "Evelyn, the land was good. You remember how Frank raised some good cotton there?" Evelyn replied, "Yes, I remember picking cotton there just before Stan was born. And the best thing I remember growing there was that sugar cane. Oh, that stuff was the best I ever tasted." Mattie agreed and recalled that Frank often said to her, "Mama, don't let Evelyn eat that green cane [because she was pregnant]." But Evelyn really craved that sugar cane, along with green pears and iced tea--all this just a short time before Stan was born.

Evelyn Graduates from High School

Evelyn Cauthen Paregien graduated from high school at Wapanucka in May, 1941. The County School Superintendent was T.E. McDonald. The Superintendent of the high school was Lloyd Harden. J.F. Hodges was the high school principal, while H.D. Allen was the elementary principal.

Evelyn Cauthen Paregien graduating from Wapanucka High School in May, 1941

The speaker for the 1941 Wapanucka high school baccalaureate address was T.A. Houston, professor of history at Southeastern State University in Durant. The speaker for the commencement address on May 15th was Rev. Fred Mesch, pastor of the First Methodist Church in Durant. Roberta Wike was the Valedictorian for the Wapanucka Class of 1941. Opal White was the Salutatorian. The other class members were Donna Maud Carpenter, Barbara Fulton, Donovan Jones, Leota Luster, Ralph McGee, Wilburn Montgomery, Burl Morgan, Raymond Morgan, Lee Otis Owen, Evelyn Cauthen

Paregien, Warren Rice, William Richardson, Christine Taylor and Lillian Weathers. [Note: Roberta Wike was the namesake for Evelyn’s daughter, Roberta Paregien] Birth of Stan Paregien in 1941 On 2, Oct., 1941, they had a son and named him Stanley Eugene Paregien.

Dr. Haberly, who delivered both Stan and Roberta, had his office upstairs in this building in Wapanucka. It has been torn down for many, many years.

Dr. Haberly's house, above, was still standing and being used in 2011. On 19 March, 1942, Walter Dunn wrote this in his column on “Wapanucka News�: Tuesday afternoon Mrs. Bill Morgan, Jr., was the honoree at a shower given in the home of Mrs. John Brown. "After a delightful social hour, the honoree was the recipient of a pink and blue bedecked basket of lovely gifts. She was also presented with a clothes pin bag of pins and new clothes line on which to display the gifts. "Tasteful refreshments were served to the following: Mrs. Morgan, Mrs. Buck Brown, Mrs. C.B. Richardson, Mrs. A.J. Wood, Jr., and daughter, Renda, Mrs. A.F. Stamps, Mrs. Albert Standifer, Mrs. M.A. Horton, Mrs. George Darbison, Mrs. Frank Paregien, Mrs. Harold Paregien and son Stanley, Mrs. C.A. Young and son Clark of El Paso, Mrs. C.W. Wells, Mrs. Martha Anne Rowe and daughter, Mary Ruth, Mrs. Andrew Richardson and daughter, Mary, Mrs. Earl Hobbie, Mrs. Horace McCurry, Mrs. M.E. Maytubby, Mrs. Walter Dunn and Mrs. Virgil Hamer." On 17 Sept., 1942 Walter Dunn wrote this in his column "Wapanucka News" for the Johnson County Capital-Democrat newspaper in Tishomingo, Okla.: "A reunion was held at the home of J.W. Cauthern [sp. Cauthen] Sunday. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Cauthern [Evelyn Cauthen Paregien's parents] and family, Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Cauthern, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Paregin [sp. Paregien] and son, all of Wapanucka, Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Walters of Geronimo, Okla., Mrs. Ed Garrison and children of Enterprise, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Walters of Long Beach, Calif., Mr. and Mrs. A.G. Walters of Bromide, Mrs. J.B. Arledge [Atchelee Walters] of Tulsa and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gary of Enterprise."

The Johnston County Capital-Democrat newspaper noted on 31 Oct., 1941 that Marvin Paregien was #1246 to register for the military draft. There was a build-up of military strength, but there was no fighting going on by American troops until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on 7 Dec., 1941. However, shortly after registering, Marvin Paregien and his new bride, Wanda Whittle, moved to sunny Santa Paula, Calif. They liked the weather and the indoor plumbing so well, and jobs were so plentiful when WW II started, that they urged the rest of the family to move west, too. Harold's Friend, Grady Walters Grady Allen Walters (born 14 Nov., 1919 to Calvin and Ethel Walters) was badly burned in an accident at school when he was young. He and the Paregien boys – particularly Harold – ran around together when they were all growing up in the Wapanucka area. Grady married Jeneva Romin on 30 May, 1942 at Wapanucka, Okla. They had three children: James Edward Walters, Patsy Ann Walters and Allen Duane Walters.

Grady Walters & wife in 1970 at Wapanucka, OK

The Johnston County Capital-Democrat newspaper on 19 March, 1942 noted a baby shower for Mrs. Bill Morgan, Jr. at the home of Mrs. John Brown. Those who attended included Mrs. C.B. Richardson, Mrs. M.A. Horton, Mrs. Frank Paregien, Mrs. Harold Paregien and son, Stanley; Mrs. C.A. Young and son Clark, of El Paso; and Mrs. Virgil Hamer. Evelyn’s first real crush some years back was on Virgil Hamer, but her mother was suspicious about his father’s occupation and nixed the romance. The Johnston County Capital-Democrat newspaper on 17 Sept., 1942 reported: “Elmer Walters and Henry Gary made a business trip to Atoka Tuesday . . . . . Mr. and Mrs. L.W. Walters returned to their home at Geronimo, Tuesday, after spending two weeks here with relatives . . . . . Henry Gary and family left for the west to pick cotton . . . . . A reunion was held at the home of J.W. Cauthern Sunday. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Cauthern and family; Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Cauthern; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Paregien and son, all of Wapanucka; Mr.

and Mrs. L.G. Walters of Geronimo, Oklahoma; Mrs. Ed Garrison and Children of Enterprise; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Walters of Long Beach, Calif.; Mr. and Mrs. A.G. Walters of Bromide; Mrs. J.B. Arledge of Tulsa; and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gary of Enterprise . . . . . Those attending a party at Mrs. E.W. Garrison’s last Tuesday night were: J.W. Cauthern and family of Wapanucka; Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Walters of Geronimo; Henry Gary, Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Gary, Mr. and Mrs. A.G. Walters of Bromide; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Walters of Long Beach, Calif. Ice cream was served to the 28 guests present.�

Leaving Wapanucka in 1942 In the fall of 1942, Frank decided he and Mattie would stay behind to sell their farm and belongings, but that Harold and Evelyn (and infant Stanley) and Frank's stepdaughter, Lizza Mae Junkins and husband Clifford should go on. Frank owned a 1934 Chevrolet sedan, so they drove Frank's car. And they pulled a heavily loaded trailer behind it and took off. Now about that sale of their farm equipment and household goods, a very young teenager (and distant relative of Evelyn's) named Kenneth Dollar was riding in a horsedrawn wagon with his grandfather when they went by the Paregien place and saw the big "For Sale" sign outside. So they stopped by to take a look and to visit maybe for the last time with Frank and Mattie Paregien. Kenneth Dollar paid a whopping 75-cents for a bedroom dresser with a mirror at that sale. And he kept it until 2011, some 69 years. At the graveside service for Evelyn Cauthen Paregien Spradling on February 26, 2011 (at the Enterprise Cemetery, southwest of Wapanucka), Kenneth told Evelyn's son, Stan, the story of how he bought that dresser in 1942. And, amazingly, he offered to give it back to the family. So a couple of weeks later, Stan and Peggy made a trip to Kenneth's house in Tulsa and brought it back to their house.

On March 5, 2011, Stan Paregien Sr received his parents' dresser from Kenneth Dollar. Kenneth had bought it for 75-cents at Wapanucka in 1942. Back to the move to California by Harold and Evelyn and baby Stan along with Harold's half-sister Lizza Mae (Mitchell) Junkins and her husband Clifford. They had numerous flats on the old tires, and rubber (i.e., tires) was in very short supply because of the production of jeeps and trucks for the military. When they got to the Arizona desert and to California's famous Mohave desert, they had to travel only at night because the car tires wouldn't hold up to the tremendously hot pavement. So they pulled under bridges and spent the daylight hours there, and drove at night. The whole group moved in with Marvin and Wanda Paregien on the Hardison Ranch, west of Santa Paula, for about three weeks. When Marvin quit the Hardison Ranch, Harold took the job for about a year. Then, like his mother and father, he went to work at Port Hueneme ("y-knee-me") as a warehouse worker. World War II was in full swing and those were busy days at this naval base. At this time, Harold and Evelyn and Stanley lived in the "Briggs Courts" at the old "Y" intersection on the west side of Santa Paula.

This has always been one of my favorite photos as it shows a carefree day in 1942 when Harold & Evelyn went for a walk with son Stan on the pier at Ventura, Calif. NOTE: Notice there were no safety railings back then.

Stanley is held by his maternal great-grandfather Allen Garrison Walters, who is seated next to his son Lewis Walters. Back: Harold & Evelyn and her parents, John & Vada Cauthen, and Lewis’s wife, Fannie.

Evelyn returned to Wapanucka, Okla., in late summer of 1943 to live with her parents while awaiting the birth of her next child. Birth of Roberta Louise Paregien in 1943 So in September of 1943, Roberta Louise was born, by design, in Wapanucka.

Evelyn & Roberta

Life in 1944 In 1944, Harold and family moved into a duplex on Santa Barbara St., in Santa Paula (close to the old fire station, and in 1973 the Welfare Department office). His parents lived in the other side of the duplex. It was during this time that Evelyn taught herself how to drive. She had asked Harold to teach her, but he was very impatient and cussed her out more than once for mistakes she made. So . . . . early each morning, after Harold and his parents left in their car to go to work in Port Hueneme, Evelyn would leave the kids sleeping and go out and drive around the block. That was in the days when there was no such thing as an "automatic" shift. She had to learn to work the clutch and brakes and accelerator. So the car often bucked and snorted and rocked and rolled as she got the hang of it. Then one day, after weeks of practice, she drove herself some 20 miles over to Ventura--without a license, of course--and took the test for her drivers license. Only then did she tell Harold that she had learned to drive, and he was mighty surprised.

The Move to Oxnard in 1945 In 1945, Harold and Evelyn and their two young children moved to Oxnard, Calif., to be closer to his work at Port Hueneme. Marvin Paregien lived with them for a time. However, the war ended and so did the naval base jobs that Harold and his parents had held. In late 1945, Harold and family moved to Saticoy, Calif., and Stan started first grade there. There, apparently, is where they met and became life-long friends with Bill and Ethel Orr. Bill ran a dairy in the area. Despite their limited finances and time off from work, Harold and Evelyn managed to travel back to Oklahoma for any vacation time they had. The following two photos are from just such a time in 1946.

Front: Roberta & Stan Paregien; Johnnie O. Cauthen & far right Jona Ruth Cauthen (daughter of Marvin & Helen). 2nd row: Harold & Evelyn Paregien, John W. & Vada Cauthen. 3rd Row: Sidney Cauthen, Opal C. Radtke, Marvin & Helen Cauthen. [f1946-04]

Picnicing on Big Sandy Creek north of Wapanucka, Oklahoma in 1946. Helen & Jona Ruth & Marvin Cauthen, Sidney Cauthen, John W. and Vada Cauthen, seated at center and right are Stan and his uncle Johnnie Cauthen (foreground), then with Evelyn holding Roberta, and Harold at the far right.

The Todd Estate: 1948 to 1951 Santa Paula, CA In early 1948, Harold moved the family to the Todd Estate (ranch), located four miles west of Santa Paula. Stan started attending Briggs Elementary School and, later, Roberta went to school there, too. They lived in a company-furnished home. Harold farmed oranges, beans and lemons. He often had to work through the night to "burn smudge pots" when a freeze threatened the citrus trees. Evelyn did housework for the owner of the farm, Mr. Ray Joy. It was here that Evelyn suffered a severe burn to her leg. She was dipping some soiled clothes in a solvent and the hot water heater pilot light ignited the fumes. While she was still recovering from that, with her leg wrapped up, she and little Stanley and Roberta rode with her cousin, Troy Gary and wife Lucille, back to Oklahoma to see her parents. Harold and Evelyn raised some hogs at a site a few hundred yards south of the house, and Frank Paregien came out and helped Harold butcher them. Death of Harold's Half-Sister, Lizza Mae Mitchell Junkins in 1949 On Sunday, 9 Oct., 1949, Frank and Mattie Paregien and Harold and Evelyn Paregien went over to the old "Cowboy Park" east of Saugus, Calif., to hear some country music entertainers. (Stan recalls hearing "The Maddox Brothers and Rose" perform there on one occasion.) As they were returning home, they were listening to music on the car radio. Suddenly the radio broadcast was interrupted by an emergency message asking Mattie Paregien to come to the hospital at Santa Anna. When they heard the message, Mattie said, "Let's get on home, and Eupel and John [Higgenbotham] can take us down there." Meanwhile, at Santa Anna, Lizza Mae's husband, Clifford Junkins, and their three girls (Betty Joyce, Delores June, and Alice Faye) went into the hospital room to see her. He started to put little Alice in her arms and she said, "I'm too weak to hold her." And she died. So Mattie and Frank got to the hospital too late. That bothered Mattie the rest of her life, to think that they could have gone to see her earlier that day but did not.

You see, Mattie had been married once before she married Frank Paregien. In 1907, after a courtship of three months, Mattie Nolen married Jessie Mitchell. They were married at Coalgate, Okla., by a Holiness preacher. Jesse was 23. This tall, sandy-haired young man had been blind for years when a doctor in Ardmore treated and cured him. That is when he became quite religious. He was a part-time lay-preacher for the Holiness church and went to revivals and sang real well. (By the way, Mattie could play the organ when she was young, and she loved to play.) His day-work, however, was at a cotton gin. Interestingly, Mattie said her marriage to Jessie had been arranged by her mother and by his mother. "I didn't know what I was getting into." According to Mattie, all that lint and dust at the cotton gin clogged up Jesse's lungs. He began to cough, then to spit up blood, and just kept getting worse and worse. Could this really have been tuberculosis? On May 30, 1908, Jessie and Mattie [Nolen] Mitchell had a baby girl named Lizza Mae Mitchell. For whatever reasons, the young couple divorced that same year. And Mattie had to find work. So she went to work as a waitress in "Tanner's Cafe". (NOTE: This cafe was located almost directly across the street from the locally famous “Hudson's County Store�. It was west of the Meyer Hotel. In 1973, both were just parking lots.) The owner of the cafe, Mr. Shannon Tanner, watched over Mattie like she was his own daughter. Jessie's mother kept Lizza Mae while Mattie worked. In fact, Lizza Mae lived with her Grandmother Mitchell until she got married. Mattie said that this arrangement made it less confusing for Lizza Mae and much easier on her, as a working woman. The baby was only 13 months hold when Jessie Mitchell died at Coalgate on 30 June, 1909. He is buried there.

The Newhall Ranch: 1951 to 1955 In 1951, they moved to a company-provided house on the Newhall Land and Farming Company. This was six miles east of Piru, Calif., just inside the Los Angeles County line on Highway 126. (In late 1995, the company announced plans to built a CITY of 75,000 people on that very site. 25,000 homes). Back then, in 1951, the nearest home was a mile west, none on the north or south, and maybe two miles to the nearest house back to the east. Harold farmed English

walnuts on the Newhall Ranch (i.e., officially the Newhall Land & Farming Company). During this time, Harold and Evelyn occasionally attended "home dances" held by their friends or, sometimes, by them. It was a foot-stomping, belly-rubbing good ol' time to the beat of a Bob Wills or Hank Williams, Sr., 78 r.p.m. record. However, Harold never did dance. He enjoyed square dancing, but did not round dance. Evelyn worked as a cook at the Ramona Cafe in Piru, in 1952. Then in 1953-55, she worked at the Piru Elementary School as manager of the cafeteria for $200 per month. Stanley and Roberta attended Castaic Elementary School at Castaic, Calif. (about 20 miles east of their home). Stanley later attended 7th and 8th grades at William S. Hart High School at Newhall, Calif. Horses to Ride During this time, Harold and Evelyn bought several horses for their kids to ride. Harold even built a horse trailer to haul them to parades, etc. And he built an additional corral in the riverbed for their horses and seeded that area for a nice pasture.

Harold on Roberta's horse, “Tony, � in 1954

Stan Paregien Sr. remembers Papa Frank and Mama coming out to the Newhall Ranch one time to see them. Both Stan's father, Harold, and Papa got on a big single-footing paint horse they had named "Tony". It was really Roberta's horse, but was plenty of horse for any man. Harold was in the saddle and Papa got up behind him, and the fun started. That horse started bucking and hats started flying. And as soon as Harold could get the horse settled down, Papa got off and stayed off. Dr. Samuel Stimson Haberly, age 80, died in 1955 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Albert W. Worthen, 317 Dryden Road, Ithaca, New York. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati Medical School in 1904. He came to Wapanucka, Oklahoma before Oklahoma became a state in 1907. He practiced there most of his life. He had a long history with the Cauthen and Paregien families. He delivered both Stan and Roberta Paregien and Johnnie Cauthen. . Living on Tulsa Time: 1955 to 1956 In Aug., 1955, Harold and Evelyn Paregien decided to move to Tulsa, Oklahoma. That’s where Evelyn's parents and two brothers lived. Harold put the word out that he wanted to sell the horse trailer he had made. A man showed up and gave him a check and took the trailer. The check bounced and Harold never got his money. Stan remembers that his dad got pretty angry about being cheated. In Tulsa, Evelyn worked as a file clerk at the Brown-Dunkin Department store for $140 per month. Harold worked at a service station in downtown Tulsa, and then at the H & H Foundry. The family lived on Sand Springs Road (called "The Line" because of the trolleycar line), which later became Charles Page Road. A small shopping center now stands on the property they briefly owned on the south side of Charles Page Road. Roberta attended elementary school just east of their house, then went with Stanley to Roosevelt Junior High.

Front: Ethel & Johnnie O. Cauthen. 2nd Row: Opal Cauthen Radtke, Vada & John W. Cauthen. 3rd Row: Evelyn & Harold Paregien (note how much taller Evelyn was than Harold – and she was), Helen & Marvin Cauthen, Thelma & Sidney Cauthen.

Back to Ventura County in 1956 In Aug., 1956, they moved back to California with no jobs in hand but believing they could do much better than they had been doing in Oklahoma. They had a turquoise and white 1954 four-door Chevrolet Bel Aire at the time. They rented a tandem U-Haul trailer and loaded that poor thing down. Stan recalls how the carpet on the back floorboard of the car was actually scorched by the heat of the exhaust pipe. Harold was amazed that they didn't ruin the car by pulling such a heavy load.

Harold soon got a job on the Samuel Edwards Ranch, one mile west of Piru, Calif.. They moved into a tiny company house set back in the orange orchard toward the east side of the ranch on a back road to Piru. Then a year or two later, after another employee left, they moved into a larger home on the ranch. That home was still standing in 2011. This "ranch" actually was about 300 acres of orange trees, including quite a few trees that were on terraces along the foothill. Death of Harold's father, Frank Paregien in 1956 On 6 Sept., 1956, at the age of 70 (lacking one day being 71), Benjamin Franklin Paregien died in the Foster Memorial Hospital in Ventura (Ventura County), Calif. He died of a heart condition and hardening of the arteries. The funeral service was conducted on 10 Sept., 1956 at the H.B. Skillin Mortuary in Santa Paula, Calif., by minister Beryl Brakebill. Frank was buried at the Santa Paula Cemetery. Later, he would be joined there by his wife, his sons Myrel and Harold, and his daughter Eupel and her second husband, John Higgenbotham. Evelyn worked at the Piru Citrus Association's packing house for two years.

Church friends Mrs. Ralph (Celestine) Downey, Betty Horn, Harold Paregien, Cyrus Horn, Billie & Clint Edwards at the Paregien home on the Edwards Ranch in 1957

Evelyn Begins Career with Fillmore School System in 1958 On 1 January, 1958, Evelyn Cauthen Paregien began working at the new San Cayetano Elementary School in Fillmore, Calif., as the cafeteria manager. This really worked out well, as she took her kids to school (high school and jr. high) and they could wait and ride home with her in the afternoon if they wanted to do so. She became Supervisor of the several area cafeterias in 1966. When the school system was reorganized in 1972, she became the cafeteria manager of the Piru Elementary School for the second time. In early 1958 Harold and Evelyn bought a new 1957 Pontiac "Fire Chief" that had been a demonstrator at the Pontiac dealership in Fillmore. It was two-toned, bright red and white. Stan put custom wheel covers on it, and enjoyed his night out in it each week. They only had one car, so when Stan was dating or otherwise running around, his parents were stranded back home in the country.

Harold & Evelyn at the Grand Canyon in 1959

Harold reported to work at 7 a.m., Monday through Friday, and got off at 5 pm. On Saturdays he had to work half a day, getting off at noon. That schedule often limited any travel plans for the weekends. He always wore a jacket to work, even in the summer time, because the desert-like climate cooled off at night--even when the mid-day temperatures hit 100 or better (117 was the record). But in the summer time he had to take the jacket off by 9 am

or so, unless a thick fog bank had moved in from the Pacific ocean 30 miles to the west. Harold irrigated the orchards and that involved shoveling lots of dirt in order to hook up the water to the furrows that he or another worker had plowed. He also pruned the older trees, watered the new trees, and cut down and burned dead trees. He also sprayed weeds along the roads, as in the photo on the next page. Stan Paregien graduated from Fillmore Union High School in 1959.

Roberta Louise Paregien graduated from Fillmore Union High School in 1961.

Harold working on the Edwards Ranch in 1961 – note the cigarette in his mouth. This is how I remember my daddy looking most of the time, working or not. Like most kids I knew, I wore only Levi jeans. But my daddy favored Wranglers for as long as I can remember.

He liked biscuits and gravy for breakfast, along with a whole pot of coffee . . . . and his ever-present cigarettes. He never cared much for sweets, except for an occasional piece of pie and a dish of homemade icecream. Stan Paregien recalls one time that he and his family had visited his mom and dad and left Gene and Stacy there for an extended visit. Then Harold and Evelyn went on vacation back to Oklahoma, bringing the grandkids home. Gene did not like his Grandpa Paregien smoking in the car. So every chance he got, Gene hid Harold's cigarettes. It nearly drove Harold nuts. Harold became a Christian in the 1960's, after Stan had left home. He was baptized by Ralph Downey, minister of the Church of Christ in Fillmore, just as Roberta and Stanley had been. Harold eventually became a trustee of the church. He was a very hard man to buy gifts for. He played no sports (other than baseball as a very young man) and had no hobbies. Stan recalls getting one Christmas gift for him that he really did like, and that was a comedy album by country star Jerry

Clower. A few years later, Stan would do a radio interview with Jerry Clower, via telephone to the star at his home in Mississippi.

Wedding of Stan Paregien and Peggy Allen in 1962 Stan married Peggy Allen of Ventura, Calif., in 1962.

Evelyn and Harold and daughter Roberta are to the right side in this photo.

25th Wedding Anniversary In December, 1965, Harold and Evelyn celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary.

Harold & Evelyn: married for 25 years in 1965

Harold, from at least age 40, had a persistent hacking "smoker's cough". His breathing became more labored as the years progressed, and he finally had to retire in about 1975. He simply could no longer could climb the terraces where many of the orange trees were located. The Move to 306 Los Serenos In Fillmore, California And at that time he and Evelyn moved to 306 Los Serenos, in Fillmore, Calif., just west of Piru. They had bought that home a few years earlier and had kept it rented.

At one point, Harold Paregien did give up his life-long habit of smoking in favor of chewing tobacco. But it was far too late to correct the damage that had been done. In September of 1966 their first grandchild was born. Stanley Eugene ("Gene") Paregien, Jr., was born in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Evelyn & Stan Jr. & Harold in Las Cruces, N.M. for Christmas of 1966.

Evelyn sat in the high chair pictured above when she was just a child. Then she used it with her children, Stan and Roberta. All of the grandchildren have occupied it as they grew up. And Stan’s grandchildren have used it, too. It is now in Stan’s home. Daughter Roberta married David Loffswold on 17 Sept., 1967.

In January of 1969, Harold and Evelyn got their second grandson, Douglas Morris Loffswold, courtesy of daughter Roberta and husband Dave Loffswold.

Roberta & Douglas in 1969

Piru, Calif., in 1967: Vada Cauthen & daughter Evelyn Paregien; Peggy with Stan Paregien, Jr. and her mother, Pauline Allen. Back: Harold and son Stan; Woody Allen, Peggy’s dad.

Harold & Evelyn: married 27 years in 1967

In April of 1971, a baby girl was born to a single mom in Tulsa, Oklahoma. And in the summer of 1973 she would come to live with Stan and Peggy Paregien at Stroud, Oklahoma as their adopted daughter, Stacy Evelyn Paregien.

Harold with Doug and Roberta Loffswold in 1970

Daniel Paregien playing baseball with grandpa Harold in Oklahoma City in the summer of 1970.

Harold & Evelyn in 1972

Harold and Evelyn in 1972 at their home on the Edwards Ranch west of Piru, Calif.

Birth of Brad Loffswold in 1972 In July of 1972, Brad Loffswold was born to Roberta (Paregien) and David Loffswold in Lubbock, Texas.

Brad Loffswold

Death of Mattie Nolen Mitchell Paregien in 1973 Harold's mother, Mattie, survived Frank Paregien by 17 years, dying at the Santa Paula Memorial Hospital on 27 Feb., 1973, at the age of 82. Gordon Bradshaw, minister of the Free Will Baptist Church in Santa Paula conducted the services at the Skillin-Snyder Mortuary in Santa Paula. Harold and Evelyn Paregien's fourth grandchild was presented to them in the summer of 1973. That's when Stacy Evelyn Paregien, who had been born to her biological mom in Tulsa, Oklahoma in April of 1971, was adopted by Stan and Peggy Paregien in Stroud, Okla.

Evelyn and Harold are in back, with Evelyn holding Stacy Evelyn Paregien. In front are Peggy, Stan Jr ("Gene") & Stan Paregien Sr. Piru, California in 1973.

The Big Flood in Fillmore on March 3, 1978 On Friday, March 3, 1978, Harold and Evelyn went to bed as usual. It had been raining hard. They had some 8.89 inches of rain in a place that normally has less than 10 inches of rain for the whole year. But early on Saturday morning, March 4th, the main channel of the nearby Sespe Creek became blocked when flood debris (uprooted orange trees, boulders, etc.) piled up against the Highway 126 bridge and a railroad bridge further upstream. That acted as a dam and sent the river sweeping into and over the east branch (normally an "overflow" channel) of the Sespe Creek and right into 210 homes of unsuspecting victims in the "Los Serenos" tract -- including the homes of Harold and Evelyn. More than 600 people were directly impacted by the flood.

Harold and Evelyn were awakened about 7 a.m. on Saturday morning by the sound of a policeman traveling up their street and blaring out on his loudspeaker that the area was being flooded and everyone must leave, immediately. They quickly got dressed, grabbed a few things and got into their car. By then, there was already 14" inches of water in the street and over the curbs. They barely got out before the surging waters took over. When they were allowed to return to inspect their property, two or three days later, they found a terrible mess. Water had been up to 4 1/2 feet deep inside their home. There was a mixture of mud, sewage and oil everywhere. Harold's old yellow pickup was destroyed. All of their family photos and keepsakes, not to mention their furniture and appliances, had been covered with water. Most had to be thrown away.

They had spent that first night in the high school gym with the other evacuees. Keep in mind that Harold was very sick with lung cancer and was, in actuality, just two months away from death. Then they moved in with a church friend, Mrs. Clinton (Billie) Edwards. Volunteers, particularly groups of Mennonites, helped clear their house of the mud. Then, having nowhere else to go, Harold and Evelyn moved back to their house while carpenters and other construction people came to replace drywalls, electrical wiring, etc. It was a stinking, noisy, confusing time--and unfortunately Harold, with his breathing difficulties, was right in the middle of it.

In late March, 1978, Harold underwent exploratory surgery. They had found on Xrays indications of spots on his already weakened lungs. Stan Paregien flew from Lake Charles, Louisiana to be there for the surgery. The surgeon operated, found that he had cancer and that it had spread too widely to be treated, and sewed him back up. Harold's Death in 1978 Harold died at his home in Fillmore, Calif., on 9 May, 1978. He was 65 years of age. The official Certificate of Death lists his name as "Arvin Harold Paregien" and the primary cause of death as "respiratory failure" and the secondary cause as "cancer of the lung". Dr. Michael Swartout, M.D., of Santa Paula, Calif., signed the certificate. [NOTE: On March 7, 1979 Evelyn Paregien petitioned the County of Ventura (Calif.), for the death certificate to be amended to have his middle name corrected to read "Arvien". Her daughter Roberta Paregien Loffswold signed as a witness. Neither of them, today, can recall exactly why they did that but my guess is to match up, exactly, with his Social Security listing. Probably SS would not release funds (i.e., SS death benefits to my mom) unless name on the death certificate matched the name on their records. --SP ]

Phillip Wall, minister of the Fillmore Church of Christ, officiated at the funeral at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, May 12, 1978. It was held at the Skillin-Snyder Funeral Home in Fillmore. He was buried beside his parents, Frank and Mattie Paregien, and his youngest brother, Myrel, and his sister Eupel Paregien Higgenbotham and brotherin-law, John Higgenbotham. (Entering the cemetery off Santa Paula Street, curve to the right and the plots are in "Sewell North" just in front of where the road T's.] Harold and Evelyn Paregien's love affair and marriage continues to have a wide effect through their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren and, so far, two great-great-grandchildren. On 11 May, 2002 Peggy and Stan hosted a party celebrating Evelyn Cauthen Paregien Spradling’s 80th birthday. She was born on 13 May, 1922. The party was held at the Quail Springs Church of Christ, 14401 N. May, in Oklahoma City.

Those in the above photo are: (front) their great-grandchildren Christal Magness, Madelynn Loffswold, Daniel Paregien, Dylan Magness. 2nd Row: Roberta P. Fournier, Evelyn P. Spradling, Stan Paregien Sr., Evelyn’s only living sibling Johnnie Cauthen. Back: Peggy Paregien, Brad Loffswold, Stacy & John Magness, Jodi & Becky & Stan Paregien Jr.

Note: This document has been posted at where it is available to read online . . . or to download to your own computer or to send to others, all at no charge.


1. There is now a complete listing on the internet of people buried in the Rose Hill Cemetery at Wapanucka, Okla.That can be found at:

2. There is now a complete listing on the internet of people buried in the Coleman Cemetery at Coleman, Okla. In fact, our distant relative Carmen Garrison did the work on it. It does list one known relative, "M.A. Nolen, 1911" -- that is Martha A. Nolen who was the mother of Mrs. Frank (Mattie ) Paregien. That list can be found at:

3. There is now a complete listing on the internet of people buried in the Enterprise Cemetery at the country community of Enterprise, Okla., just outside Wapanucka. This should not be confused with the town of Enterprise, Okla., close to McAlester. It not only has a list of people buried there but, in most cases, photos of the grave stones. Lots of relatives of Mrs. Harold (Evelyn Cauthen) Paregien are buried there. That list can be found at:

Note: We have tried to avoid listing specific birthdates of anyone still living, hopefully to help minimize the danger of identify theft.

Harold Paregien  
Harold Paregien  

This 61-page book tells about the life and times of Harold Paregien, and was written by his son, Stan Paregien Sr on Dec. 5, 2012 as a tribu...