Page 1


Follow us on Twitter! @County of Newell

Like us on Facebook! County of Newell

November/December 2012

Contact Us:

County of Newell

P.O. Box 130 Brooks, Alberta T1R 1B2

Telephone: Fax:

403-362-3266 1-888-361-7921

County Website Administrator Kevin Stephenson Assistant Administrator Layne Johnson Manager of IT & GIS James Nelson County Planner Diane Horvath Development Control Officer Alyce Wickert County Assessor Kevin Halsted Economic Development Michelle Gietz Manager of Finance Matt Fenske

Agricultural Service Board Telephone: Fax:

403-362-2772 1-888-361-7921

Agricultural Fieldman Todd Green Assistant Agricultural Fieldman Holly White Agricultural Technician Will Schaap

Public Works Telephone: Fax:

403-362-3504 1-855-507-3266

Superintendent of Public Works Mark Harbicht Asst. Superintendent of Public Works Terry Schroeder Technical Manager Geoff Tiffin

County Council

Division 1 - Rolling Hills Clarence Amulung Telephone: 403-964-2292 Division 2 - Tilley Ike Schroeder Telephone: 403-377-2587 Division 3 - Patricia/Millicent Anne Marie Philipsen Telephone: 403-378-4724 Division 4 - Rainier/Scandia/Bow City Ryan Andrews Telephone: 403-793-8144 Division 5 - Cassils Mara Nesbitt Telephone: 403-362-3037 Division 6 - Bassano Joel Bulger Telephone: 403-641-4469 Division 7 - Rosemary Allen Eastman Telephone: 403-378-4280 Division 8 - Duchess Brian de Jong Telephone: 403-362-4587 Division 9 - Gem Molly Douglass (Reeve) Telephone: 403-641-2562 Division 10 - Brooks Lionel Juss Telephone: 403-362-5689

Newell Newsletter

Editor/Design & Layout Ariana Nielsen (Executive Assistant) Proofing Joanne Wells (Records Management) Printed by: The Brooks & County Chronicle Copyright © 2012 County of Newell

We’re OPEN! The Alcoma Community Library is once again open to the communities of Rainier, Scandia, and Bow City. Our new space offers a bright, cheery environment with a good selection of reading material, DVDs, and magazines. Being a member of the Shortgrass Library System, our patrons have access to all member libraries. Ordering is quick and easy to do. There are four new computers for patrons use and we welcome the community to stop in anytime to make use of our new facility.

County of Newell - Council Notes by Molly Douglass, Division 9 Councillor, County of Newell Reeve

Newell Regional Services Commission continues to move toward completion of the potable water project with Council approving a tender for the Bassano and Duchess Water Supply in the amount of $1,058,695.05. As well, approval was given for the County’s Rural Water Project in the Tilley area, for the tendered price of $4,805,351.25 with additional engineering, land, and environmental costs of $791,086.64. Council discussed the addition of subdivision roads to the paving program once all underground infrastructure requirements are in place in a particular subdivision. Work and discussion continued on revisions to a new Land Use Bylaw with it receiving final approval at the October 25th Council Meeting. Michelle Gietz and Will Slenders from Newell Regional Economic Development Initiative updated Council on their web marketing. This promotes the “Region of Re-Newell” by creating a better image of our area through photo galleries on the internet. Have a look by going to or Policy review and updates are an ongoing procedure for all departments of the County. Matt Fenske, Manager of Finance, worked with Council to develop a plan for levels of savings and restricted surplus. Our Agricultural Fieldman, Todd Green, volunteered his assistance during the rat infestation in Cypress County. This was a valuable learning experience and reinforced the need to continue the diligence to keep our “rat free” status in Alberta. Council passed a motion to submit a letter to the Southern Alberta Energy from Waste Alliance (SAEWA) expressing interest in being a host for the energy from waste facility that is being considered by SAEWA. The Bantry Bay Estates Area Structure Plan was adopted with numerous amendments attached. The Rosemary Range Road 15-5 Paving Project lowest tender was approved in the amount of $7,357,930.30 plus additional costs of $975,000.00 to Brooks Asphalt and Aggregate. The 2014 Agricultural Service Tour will be hosted by the County of Newell! Agricultural Service Boards and their families from all over the province will come here to learn about the unique aspects of our agricultural industries, as well as to see more of the many attractions our region has to offer. Stay tuned! Twice a year our provincial association, the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, meets in Edmonton. One of its biggest mandates is to present the provincial government with ideas and suggestions brought forth through a resolution process that takes place at the conventions. November’s agenda has 28 resolutions for discussion and possible endorsement, wide ranging in topics from private sewage systems to rural health workers to gravel resources to ice fishing huts on lakes to 911 error calls. These sessions are always interesting learning experiences.


This is the LAST YEAR to order trees from the Tree Program. ORDER DEADLINE: MARCH 15, 2013 For more information, contact: Holly White, Assistant Agricultural Fieldman Phone: 403-362-3266 ext. 120 E-Mail:

UPCOMING MEETINGS Municipal Planning Commission/Council

The MPC meeting will begin at 10:00 a.m. The Council meeting will begin immediately after MPC adjourns. Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. All meetings are held in the Council Chambers of the County of Newell Administration Building located in Brooks, AB at 707 - 2nd Ave. East unless otherwise noted. The Office will be closed on the following days:

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - Christmas Day Wednesday, December 26, 2012 Boxing Day Tuesday, January 1, 2013 - New Year’s Day Monday, February 18, 2013 - Family Day

Check the County of Newell website for last minute meeting changes



The Newell Newsletter - November/December 2012

Children Playing with Fire

Snow Removal Bylaw

by Keith Martin, Fire & Emergency Services Coordinator The Facts • It is normal for children, even as young as two years old, to be curious about fire. Guiding children to fire-safe behaviour is the responsibility of parents and caregivers. • Fire play happens when a curious and unsupervised child plays with matches, a lighter, an open flame or a hot stove. This curiosity can lead to a fire that may result in death, injury, or property damage. • Fires started by children in the home usually happen in bedrooms. Other rooms where children play with fire are the living room, the closet and the kitchen. What you can do? Step 1: Prevent children from starting fires • Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach. Even toddlers are known to have started fires with lighters. • Never leave a hot stove, space heater, or lit candles unattended. • Reward a child who finds and reports to any adult of any matches or lighters they find. • Never leave children unsupervised at home—not even to run a quick errand. Step 2: Teach children about fire • Teach children that fire is a tool, not a toy. Talk about the use of fire as a tool we use to cook food, heat our homes, make repairs, and light birthday candles. • Educate your children about the dangers of fire and make sure they know that all fires, even small ones, can spread very quickly. • Provide opportunities for school-aged children to understand the safe use of fire (such as lighting birthday candles) under your supervision. • Teach your child how to say NO when friends suggest playing with fire. Step 3: Set a good example • Emphasize the fire and burn safety rules you follow when using fire. • With your children, regularly inspect your home for fire hazards. • Install and maintain smoke alarms. • Plan and practice home fire escape drills. What to do if your child sets fires As a parent or caregiver of young children, take any fire play seriously. • If your child sets a fire, use an immediate consequence, such as taking away a privilege or using time-out. • Depending on your child’s age, talk (don’t lecture or scold) about the dangers of fire. • Get immediate help if a child sets a second fire. Your call to the fire department will be kept confidential. • Getting help will prevent this behaviour from becoming worse. How to get help • Call your local fire department or your child’s school counselor. Remember children will be curious about fire but it is up to you as their parent or guardian to ensure they are educated not to play with fire. Keep your kids safe and remember that “Safety is an Attitude.”


Interested in bringing great courses to your community?

Newell Further Education Council is seeking board members. We provide adult further education courses in the rural communities of the County of Newell. If you value positive personal growth, partnerships and networking, innovation, and volunteers; we’d love to hear from you! Please submit a letter of interest to Newell Further Ed., Box 478, Bassano, AB. Or by e-mail to:

One Community One Card

Shortgrass Library System and Medicine Hat College Library Services are proud to introduce a new partnership that will benefit library users in Newell County. Library users now only need one library card to use either the public libraries in the Shortgrass region or the Medicine Hat College Libraries. Bring your public library card to the Medicine Hat College library, either in Medicine Hat or at the Brooks Campus and borrow materials free of charge. Your college ID card equals a public library card. Your public library card equals a college library card. There are 13 libraries involved in this partnership and you only need one card. Visit any Newell County Public Library or Medicine Hat College Library to find out more!

The County of Newell wishes to remind residents that the following bylaw is in effect throughout the County and is subject to enforcement by the County of Newell Enforcement Officers. John Nesbitt – Municipal Enforcement, County of Newell

Bylaw No. 1277-99 A Bylaw for the purpose of controlling the clearing and removal of snow from driveways within the County of Newell, in the Province of Alberta. Whereas pursuant to Section 18(1) of the Municipal Government Act, Statutes of Alberta, 1994, Chapter M-26.1, and amendments thereto, a Municipality, subject to every other Act, has the control and management of all roads within the Municipality; and Whereas pushing and clearing snow from driveways across or onto County roads adjacent to private property causes frozen ridges, creates excessive drifting, increased maintenance cost and is a very serious safety concern; Now therefore, the Council of the County of Newell, in the Province of Alberta, duly assembled, hereby enacts as follows: 1. Definition a. “Road” in this Bylaw has the same definition as in the Municipal Government Act and means land shown as a road on a plan of survey that has been filed or registered in a land titles office. 2. Any person who, without justification, deposits snow on a road is guilty of an offence. 3. Any person who contravenes any provision of this Bylaw is guilty of an offence and may be ordered to forthwith remove any snow deposited on the road. 4. When any person contravenes this Bylaw, the County may remove the snow deposited on the road and recover any expenses incurred in doing so whether or not a conviction is made. 5. Any person who contravenes the provisions of this Bylaw is guilty of an offence and, upon summary conviction, subject to: a. A fine of not less than $100.00 and not exceeding $150.00 for a first offence, and b. A fine of not less than $150.00 and not exceeding $2,500.00 for a second or subsequent offence, c. In the case of non-payment of the fine and costs, a period of imprisonment of 10 days for a first offence and 30 days for a second or subsequent offence.

Last Year for the Prairie Shelterbelt Program by Holly White, Assistant Agricultural Fieldman This year is the final year to receive trees from the Agri-Environment Services Branch (AESB) Agroforestry Development Centre, formerly known as the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration (PFRA) Shelterbelt Center. In the past the AESB has provided trees at no cost to rural landowners to establish shelterbelts to prevent soil erosion. In the past the program has been highly valued by ratepayers in our area and it is sad to see such a successful and popular program come to an end. It is not too late to get your application for the final year in. Applications are due March 15th, but the sooner you get them in the better as the center has been reporting that they have already received a higher volume of applications than usual. In order to qualify for trees the applicant must own at least 5 acres of land. Applications are available at the County of Newell Administration office or on our website under the Agricultural Services tab. The Shelterbelt program has always been big part of our soil erosion prevention program and we will be sorry to see it go. We will continue with our tree planting program by providing our tree planter and mulcher to rate payers, assisting with tree selections and shelterbelt designs, assisting landowners in sourcing trees and helping to plant multi row shelterbelts.

National Barley Council by Todd Green, Agricultural Fieldman

The County Agricultural Services Board received a request from a group intending to start a Barley Council of Canada. Their initial idea is to set the council up similar to that of the Canola Council of Canada. The group was looking for support from our Ag Service board in the form of a resolution. Upon some great discussion we came to the realization that we are not the entity that should be supporting the idea. Although we are not against the initiative, the support should come from those that the Council could in fact benefit the most… Barley producers, processors and ultimately end users. With this I invite any interested party to call for more information about the Council. You can call direct to them at 403-291-9111 or 1-800-265-9111, or simply call me at 403-3623266 ext 114 and I can forward you out the entire package they sent to us for review.

WOW! there sure are lots of mice and rabbits to eat right now!

I wish all These For sure! But I coyotes were good can’t wait to start for something other eating the fresh than bothering calves and lambs my my livestock! mom taught me to hunt.

I heard that coyote Really?! If i am to harvest a pelts are still used couple, what do i do with them? in the clothing industry and prices have been pretty i just talked to good in recent years. the county asb. they are going to continue the CCIP* program.

They are


some time later...

did you know that, because coyotes are such a pest and pose a great risk to livestock, the County paid me $15 for each of the coyotes i harvested?

yeah, it’s a great program to help stabilize the population. on top of that, they usually know of guys that will buy the pelt so that the hide is used appropriately.

You can bring them to lane & jean lucas or bring them into the asb shop.

* coyote control incentive program

Story by T. Green; artwork by A. Nielsen


The Newell Newsletter - November/December 2012

An Affordable Way to Make Improvements to your Business by Michelle Gietz, Economic Development & Tourism Coordinator Does the exterior of your building need a face lift? Does the interior need remodelling to enhance your customer’s experience? The Loan Improvement Program initiated by the Newell Regional Economic Development Initiative and Community Futures Entre-Corp is designed to help make improvements to your business affordable. The program, which has already run successfully within the City of Brooks, is now available to businesses in all the municipalities within the County of Newell’s boundaries. The program provides funding to business through the use of ‘grant’ dollars and interest free loans of up to $10,000 per applicant for a variety of physical enhancements to property.

• • •

that make use of window display areas. Coordinating facade improvements with neighboring buildings and the unique character of the neighborhood business area. Adding visual interest and variety at the sidewalk level, emphasizing active storefronts, orienting windows and doorways to the street. Undertaking general cleaning of the building exterior, repainting faded and peeling paint, repairing damaged areas of the façade, and restoring unique architectural features.

The Newell Regional Development Initiative has set the goal for the program as finding one business in each of the municipalities in the region to participate, so that there are visible improvements to our business cores in all communities. The program provides an incentive for local business owners to invest in facade renovations and interior upgrades. The improvements are intended to comply with the building upgrades suggested in any Area Redevelopment Plan. Successful projects will strive to make visible improvements to the appearance, design and function of a business by:

The above list is not all-encompassing. Other improvements could be eligible if they meet the objectives of the program and comply with municipal development regulations. Community Futures will perform the initial pre-screening including a credit check, review of financial statements and the project application. All financial information will remain confidential, though the description of the proposed improvements will be made available to the Newell Regional Economic Development Initiative to ensure that the project complies with the suggested criteria.

Interested in applying? Give Michelle Gietz a call at the County of Newell 403-362-3266 ext 142 or drop an email at or contact Community Futures Entre-Corp at 1-1-888-528-2824. The deadline to apply is December 31, 2012.

Exposing unique architectural details that have been hidden by previous attempts to modernize the façade. Improving the interior view of shops and restaurants through the use of clear glass, and storefront designs

THANK A VOLUNTEER TODAY! Grasslands Regional FCSS & the Volunteer Resource Centre Salute Our Volunteers.

International Volunteer Day is December 5th, 2012. We would like to take this opportunity to celebrate volunteerism as a way to honor and thank volunteers for the time and energy they contribute to our communities. If you think of building a home, volunteers are the builders of our communities – they provide the foundation for helping others, the framework to keep our communities strong, the nails to hold our communities together and the roof to shelter us from harm.

Local People Helping Local People The Volunteer Resource Centre is located at 110 2nd St. West, Brooks.

Winter storms can create serious public safety concerns. Severe weather has the potential to disrupt power to your home and to your entire community. Knowledge of forecasted weather conditions and attention to personal preparedness will reduce the impact to your family and your property. Make it a habit to listen to the local radio or television stations for weather warnings and advice. Whether due to an extreme snowfall, an ice storm or a prolonged power outage, residents should be prepared to provide for their own needs for at least 72 hours. Consider having these items available in your home: • A three-day supply of water (include water for pets). You need four litres of water per person per day - two for drinking and two for food preparation and hygiene. • Several varieties of canned foods, meat and dried fruit. Include a manual can opener. Dried soups, peanut butter, nuts, granola bars, evaporated canned or powdered milk and cereal are also good choices. • Juice or juice crystals. • Large and medium-sized plastic garbage bags (orange or yellow make good visible signals). Large bags can also be used as ponchos, ground covers or blankets. • Plastic or paper dishes. • A portable radio and extra batteries. • A first-aid kit that includes extra prescription medication, extra eyeglasses, bandages, sterile gauze pads, tape, scissors, tweezers, antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide and over-the-counter pain pills. • If needed, sufficient infant supplies including disposable diapers, disposable bottles, formula, etc. • A three-day supply of pet food, if required • A pocket knife (Swiss army style), a whistle and a spare set of house and car keys. • Sleeping bags and extra blankets. • Water purification tablets. • A flashlight and extra batteries, candles

Upcoming VRC Events & Services: • Access to 2 Online Funding Databases (by appointment only) • Volunteer Management Training Sessions November 29, 2012 - Screening & Matching People with Positions January 2013 - Orientation, Training & the Volunteer Handbook February 2013 - Performance Management, Recognition & Retention of Volunteers • November 22, 2012 - Annual Open House during Santa Claus Parade • December 5, 2012 - International Volunteer Day – Open House at VRC For more information about these events and other services, please contact the VRC at 403-362-4432 or email:

Newell Regional Economic Development Initiative Beautification Plan The Newell Regional Economic Development Initiative along with Community Futures Entre-Corp is pleased to offer businesses in the County of Newell boundaries the opportunity to recieve a beautification loan and grant to enhance the appearance of a business. Businesses may be eligible to recieve an interest free loan up to a maximum of $8,000 along with a grant up to a maximum of $2000. Contact Michelle Gietz at 403-362-3266 ext 142 or email or Community Futures Entre-Corp at 1-888-528-2824 to apply and recieve the complete program guidlines. Application deadline is December 31,2012



An informative 2 day event dedicated to growing agriculture through leadership, innovation and collaboration

2012 Conference

& Trade Show

December 4th & 5th, 2012 MeDicine HAt exHibition & StAMpeDe 2055 21 Ave. Se Medicine Hat, Alberta Guest Speakers & Presenters Include: Keynote/Banquet Speaker: Vik Maraj Keynote Speaker: Perry Miller Keynote Speaker: Mike Jubinville

Plus numerous other special guests and presenters!

For further information visit:

Winter Preparedness

and waterproof matches.

You may also wish to have a large bucket with a tight-fitting lid on hand to use as a toilet. Use the bucket to store other emergency tools like an axe, a folding shovel and rope. Hazards associated with winter storms include: • Car accidents due to slippery roadways • Slips and falls due to slippery walkways • Hypothermia and frostbite due to the cold weather exposure • Being struck by falling objects such as tree limbs, wires or utility poles • Electrocution due to downed power lines or downed objects in contact with power lines • Falls from heights (e.g. falls from ladders, roofs or skylights while removing snow) • Roof collapse or property damage under weight of snow or falling trees • Exhaustion, exposure or dehydration • Isolation and lack of basic supplies • Stranded motorists • Carbon monoxide poisoning • Back injuries or heart attack while shovelling snow • Melting snow causing flooding Power Outages Most power outages last for just a few moments. In extreme cases, such as during severe weather events, outages can last for more than a day. Think ahead and have a flashlight, electric lantern, extra batteries and candles handy. Remember to use candles with caution and use proper candle holders. Never leave burning candles unattended, as they are a potential fire hazard. Prepare for possible isolation in your home by having an alternate heating system or sufficient heating fuel for fire places or wood burning stoves. Stay away from fallen power lines. A hanging power line could be charged (live) and you

run the risk of electrocution. Remember also that ice, branches or power lines can continue to break and fall for several hours after the end of the storm. Customers in areas impacted by power outages may be asked to unplug or turn off all non-essential appliances, lights and equipment. This allows the system to stabilize when it is restored in cold weather. It’s a good idea to get in the habit of trimming dead branches and assessing the trees on your property to reduce the danger of these falling onto power lines or your house during a storm. Heat Failure If your home heating system fails, take these precautions: • Remain calm - your house will remain warm for several hours. • Avoid opening doors unnecessarily. • During a power failure, turn off all electrical appliances. • If you have an alternate heat source, begin using it before the house cools down. Ensure that you maintain adequate ventilation. • Stay warm by dressing in layers and bringing out extra blankets. • Consider closing off one room for primary heating and use. • If you are concerned about pipes freezing--leave a tap running slightly. Opening one tap even a small amount will keep water moving through the system and will be enough to keep the water from freezing in all but extremely cold temperatures. If your home is heated electrically you may wish to prepare for a power failure. If you consider installing a non-electric standby stove or heater choose heating units that do not depend on an electric motor, electric fan or other electrical device to function. If the standby heating unit will use the normal house oil or gas supply, make sure to have it connected and vented properly by a competent technician. Never use a camp stove, barbecue, or propane or kerosene heater indoors.

A build-up of carbon monoxide gas in unventilated areas can be deadly. Before considering the use of an emergency home generator during a power failure, check with furnace, appliance and lighting fixture dealers or manufacturers regarding power requirements and proper operating procedures. Use caution when operating generators, assuring they are in a wellventilated area. Do not connect your home portable generator directly to a house wiring system without the proper installation of an approved transfer switch and an inspection and approval by an electrical inspector. Icy conditions Remember, stairways and sidewalks may be icy and increase the risk of falls. Keep these areas clear and snow free. Consider using salt, sand or kitty litter to provide traction in these areas. Evacuations During extreme conditions, some people may want to make alternate arrangements for overnight stays with relatives, friends or neighbours. Listen to the radio for emergency instructions from local officials. Reception or “warming” centres may be set up in your community. If you must leave your home, remember to take your emergency “grab and go” kit. This should include: • Flashlight and battery powered radio • Extra clothing • Essential medicines and toiletries • Essential emergency supplies • First aid kit • Important documents, cash and family identification Treating Hypothermia Windchill is a combination of cold temperatures ad wind conditions which may cause rapid loss of body temperature. Excess windchill may require special precautions for outdoor activities. If frostbite or hypothermia is suspected, begin warming the person slowly and seek immediate medical assistance.


The Newell Newsletter - November/December 2012

Frequently Asked Questions - Construction Permits

by Alyce Wickert, Manager of Planning & Development & Darby Lester, Development Control Clerk Why do I need permits? All construction must comply with the standards set out by the Alberta Safety Codes Act Pages/default.aspx and the Alberta Building Code www. cfm . In addition to being required by law, permits give you access to the expertise of trained Safety Codes Officers, help to ensure your project complies with provincial Safety Codes and provide peace of mind in knowing that your project is safe for your family because it has been reviewed by qualified professionals. When do I need a permit? The need for permits is regulated by local bylaws and the provincial acts indicated above. Most new construction and renovations will require building permits, including manufactured homes, moved-in homes and buildings, additions and even decks. Installing, altering or renovating plumbing, gas, electrical, or sewage systems will require permits. If you are not sure if you need a permit for your project, please contact the County Planning and Development Clerk or the Park Enterprises office. When is a permit not required? A permit is NOT required for the following: •

Construction that does not exceed $5000 (prevailing market value) and if there are no health and safety issues. For example, a deck more than 24” high requires a building permit because of safety requirements;

Painting, decorating, re-roofing or re-siding, if there are no structural changes and no health and safety issues;

Farm buildings on a working farm (not an acreage) – contact the County Planning and Development department for clarification.

Do I need permits if I’m working on my own property? Yes. Even though it’s your land, construction is subject to the requirements of the Alberta Safety Codes Act. When you obtain permits from the County, you have access to a variety of services. County staff can provide development advice, issue the permit, maintain permit files and records, and provide ongoing liaison with Park Enterprises. The Safety Codes Officers provide plans examinations, construction advice, site inspections, identify safety and code issues, and prepare a final status report. What is considered a ‘farm building’? A farm building is any building that is used in the operation of a working farm, such as a barn or Quonset, to store hay, animals or machinery. The Alberta Building Code does not apply to farm buildings, so a building permit is not required in this case. However, all farm buildings require applicable plumbing, gas and electrical permits. If the building is to be used for maintenance or as a workshop, it is not considered a ‘farm building’ and will require a building permit. Does my Building Permit include all the permits I need for my project? No. Each permit discipline is separate. You will need to apply for each required permit separately, pay fees and ensure inspections occur.

Who applies for my permits? As the landowner, you may apply for all permits, with the exception of commercial, industrial or 3 phase Electrical work, where certified contractors are mandatory. If you are a homeowner building a house or garage, clarify with your trades people who will be applying for permits. If you have hired a contractor, they will usually apply for the permits, but they may also work under any permits you take out as the landowner. If you are not fully knowledgeable in a trade field, we strongly recommend that you consult with a certified contractor to ensure your own safety and limit costly and dangerous errors. I have a permit from my Town or Municipality. Is that all I need? The permit issued by the town or Municipality is the Development Permit, which is required before any construction permits may be issued. The Development Permit focuses on the zoning of your parcel and ensures that your development is in compliance with the requirements of that zoning district. Once the Development Permit is issued and the appeal period has passed, construction permits may be issued. Please call the County Development Clerk or Park Enterprises to assist you with construction permits.   Who can I call if I have Code questions? You are welcome to contact our knowledgeable and friendly staff with any questions. In addition, inspectors are available by mobile phone, so you can discuss specific questions or concerns with them at any time. General questions can be also directed to Alberta Safety Codes Council, Can my garage be built on a slab? Your garage can be built on a concrete slab providing it does not exceed 55 m2 (592 ft2). For further clarification, please consult the Park Enterprises building inspector. How long are my permits valid? The work described when your permit is issued must start within 90 days. Permits should be completed within one year, but if you can show that you are continuing to make progress the permit may be extended, upon written request. If work is suspended or abandoned for more than 120 days, the permit becomes invalid and you’ll need to reapply. My plans have changed and I am no longer going ahead with my project. Can I cancel my permit? Your permit can be cancelled provided you have not started the work. You will receive a refund minus an administration fee.








3 Tilley

4 Scandia

5 Patricia

6 Rolling Hills

7 Bassano



10 Tilley

11 Scandia

12 Gem Duchess

13 Rolling Hills

14 Bassano




17 Tilley

18 Scandia

19 Patricia

20 Rolling Hills

21 Bassano












31 Tilley



Do swimming pools and hot tubs require a Building Permit? Yes. The installation of a private swimming pool or hot tub with a water depth greater than 600 mm (24”) requires a Building Permit. Fence and gate requirements also apply, even if it is an on-ground swimming pool. What are the requirements for bedroom windows? The Alberta Building Code states that bedrooms must have at least one window large enough to be used as an exit in an emergency. The window must provide an unobstructed opening with a minimum area of 350 cm2 (3.77 ft2 or 543 in2).The minimum window area must be achieved without having to remove window sashes or hardware. Can I install my own septic field? Yes, you can apply for a PSDS permit as the homeowner and install the system. However, proper installation of a private sewage disposal system depends on factors such as the size of parcel, the composition of the soil, the size of the dwelling and the location of nearby water sources. With this in mind, we strongly recommend that you consult a certified contractor so that the system is correctly designed and installed to properly service your dwelling and is in compliance with the Safety Codes Act. How do I get my Private Sewage Disposal permit? As part of the PSDS application, the Alberta Private Sewage Systems Standard of Practice requires that a Site Evaluation be conducted by a certified PSDS inspector to determine the most suitable type and size of the septic system on your property. With the PSDS permit application you’ll need to include a site plan showing setbacks, buildings (existing and future) and other structures. You’ll also need to include the soil profile, lab reports and design worksheets. For a detailed explanation of the process, please contact the County Planning and Development Clerk or Park Enterprises or your Safety Codes Officer.

Your library can help! Don’t get hung out to dry.

Full access from your home or in your library.

big purchase?




Do I need a permit to finish my basement? Yes, you need a building permit to finish your basement. Just like any other construction project, floor plans, cross sections of proposed rooms, and other construction details are part of the permit application. This allows the Safety Codes Officers to complete a thorough plans review and site inspections to ensure the safety of your family.

When do I need to call for my inspection? How much notice do I need to give when I’m ready? Check the ‘Permit Conditions’ section on your permit for details about inspections. You may contact the inspector directly to arrange for inspection. You may also phone or email the County Development Clerk or Park Enterprises offices when you’re ready for inspection. Inspectors visit the County weekly, so as long as you provide 3-5 business days’ notice you’ll likely have an inspection within the next week. In emergency situations, pictures may be accepted (at the discretion of the Safety Codes Officer) but physical site inspections are preferred. Inspectors understand the

DECEMBER 2012 Sunday

sensitive timelines of construction projects and don’t want to stop or delay the process, so they will try to accommodate you and keep your project on track.








2 Patricia

3 Rolling Hills

4 Bassano


7 Tilley

8 Scandia

9 Gem Duchess

10 Rolling Hills

11 Bassano



14 Tilley

15 Scandia

16 Patricia

17 Rolling Hills

18 Bassano



21 Tilley

22 Scandia

23 Gem Duchess

24 Rolling Hills

25 Bassano



28 Tilley

29 Scandia

30 Patricia

31 Rolling Hills


County of Newell Mini Bus Service

Newell Newsletter (November/December 2012)  

Newell Newsletter (November/December 2012)