Issuu on Google+

Safe Guard Your Home from Electrical Fire Fire damage in Long Island is a constant and real threat. Structures and homes in urban areas like Long Island are significantly more likely to incur fire damage because of the close proximity with which housing units and structures are located. Fire damage can be incredibly destructive as even the smallest kitchen fire can cause massive fire and smoke damage to your Long Island home or property as well as to your personal possessions kept in the home. Preventing fire Damage in Long Island should therefore be a top priority for those living in the area.

Electrical fires In Urban environments the most common form of accidental ignition of a fire in a home is caused by electricity. Misuse or irresponsible use of electricity in the home can be a contributing factor in a resulting fire and the consequential fire damage sustained to the structure. When securing a home from potential ignition points there are a few things for homeowners to keep in mind. Firstly, electricity is found in most places of the home and all areas of the home that have electricity running through them need to be responsibly cared for and looked after. These areas include the kitchen, living room, bedrooms and bathrooms. As one can see, most rooms in a home are included in the list of potential trouble areas when speaking of fire ignition points. This is because most rooms in a house, including hallways, will have electrical outlets and all electrical outlets in a home need to be secured to decrease the risk of sustaining an electrical fire. To do this, first be sure to not misuse electrical outlets by overloading their circuits by attaching multiple appliances to one outlet.

Outlets Overloaded outlets can easily spark and cause an ignition point for a home fire. No more than three appliances or devices should be plugged in to one outlet at a time, meaning for every wall outlet that has two electrical plugins only three connecting electrical devices should be used at one time.


To further secure from dangerous sparks or ignitions emanating from electrical wall outlets, unused outlets in the home should be covered with protective outlet coverings. This should especially be done in homes that have small children but their use should not be limited to those with children as the outlet covers provide excellent protection from accidental ignitions and sparks. Electrical fires can also originate from damaged or misused appliances like those generally found in a kitchen or living room. These electrical appliances, such as a toster or television, can also be the source of a fire if they are not regularly maintained and responsibly cared for. When electrical appliances malfunction they can throw of sparks or generate intense heat that can have the potential to ignite a house fire. Luckily, before an appliance malfuntctions to the point of immenant danger, they will typically give off specific warning signs that include unusually sound and smells or the production of smoke from the appliance itself. When this happens the appliance should be immediately unplugged, shut off and repaired or replaced before reuse. By being aware of the potential electrical ignition points in a home, the homeowner can greatly reduce the likelihood of incurring significant fire damage to their home. Photo credit: Urban Woodswalker, Muslim page


Safe Guard Your Home from Electrical Fire