Page 1

CMYK

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

Imer eti

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

Welc ome to Ku taisi

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

WELCOME

Welc Imereti to Kutaisi ome t o I mere K Welc u t i ome t a I to Ku m i si e taisi reti Imer eti

Imer Welc ome eti Imer Imer t o eti Kuta eti i s i Imer Imer et et

Welc ome to Ku taisi

Imer eti

Welc ome to Ku taisi

i

www.kutaisi.gov.ge

“An integrated approach for the sustainability of the tourism production� A project co-financed under the EU-funded CIUDAD programme

i

www.imereti.ge

www.georgia.travel


CMYK

2

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20


CMYK

3

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20


CMYK

4

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20


5

Welcome to Kutaisi www.tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge

Imereti – Heart of Georgia Imereti is one a historical-geographical region of Western Georgia. The capital city is Kutaisi. Location Imereti is a region in western Georgia occupying 66,000 square kilometers with a population of 800,000. Imereti occupies 12 administrative entities, 11 districts – Khoni, Terjola, Baghdat, Sachkhere, Vani, Kharagauli, Tskaltubo, Zestaponi, turizmi.kutaisi.gov.ge - Georgian web-page turizm.kutaisi.gov.ge - Russian web-page tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge - English web-page

Tkibuli and Samtredia. The administrative centre is Kutaisi, located 220 kilometres away from Tbilisi. Two airports are functioning in Kutaisi. The nearest port is Poti, just 102 kilometres from the city. Imereti is divided into upper and lower Imeretia. Geographically it is located in central Georgia. It borders Racha–Lechkhumi and lower Svanetia to the north, Shida Kartlito the east, Guria, Megrelia and upper Svanetia to the west. Since ancient times Imereti has been an important transport corridor connecting Europe and Asia. Geography Imereti is divided into upper and lower Imereti. To the north it is surrounded by Likhi Ridge, to the west it is bordered by River Tskhenitskali, to the North of it there is situated Caucasus Ridge, but to the South there are Phersati or Meskheti Mountains. The landscapes of Imereti lowland are covered with Colchis plants. Imereti’s forests are rich with animals and plants. Climate The lowland of Imereti represents the east part of Colchis lowland with the subtropical climate of the sea. Winter is warm and mild, summer hot. The average temperature of the year is 11-15 C. Precipitation reaches 1300-1800 in a year. History In the 13th century B.C. on the territory of Colchis there existed a great union of Colchis tribes. Later on that location the early class of Georgian State was formed. Its name Colchis was mentioned for the first time in 12th and 11th centuries B.C. in eastern sources. Kolkha, as it is mentioned in Urartian sources in the 8th century B.C., was a powerful and rich kingdom, which was consistently fighting against the kingdoms of Urartu and Diaokh. It was the era of Colchis’ renaissance when its influence spread to the east coast. In the 7th and 6th centuries B.C. after the fall of Kolkha, a powerful and independent kingdom of Colchis was established and was well-known throughout the ancient world. It was through Colchis that the Argonauts travelled to obtain the Golden Fleece. The myth shows that in the ancient Kingdom of Colchis they had developed metallurgy,

agriculture, wine and viticulture, shipbuilding, maritime and medicine at a high level. Especially famous was the gold of Colchis, and in Greek sources Colchis was known as the country of much gold. In the 6-4th c.c. they began to make silver money called Kolkhuri tetri (white of Colchis). The results of archaeological excavations confirm that primitive inhabitants lived in Imereti in the era of Paleolithic. The ancient settlement of Vani was one of the most important strongholds of ancient Colchis’ powerful kingdom. It is named as one of the possible cities of King Aieti, as according to different opinions Aieti’s city could be Kutaisi, Vani or Poti. According one of the versions, Vani was the city of goddess Levkotea mentioned by Strabon. Vani already existed in 8th century BC. and ceramic materials founded there are dated to the same period. The renaissance of Vani includesc two periods: 6-4th centuries B.C. and 3-1st centuries BC. As early as the sixth century BC there existed one of the administrative centers and the residence of ruling class. Nowadays there are a museum of Vani and the city ruins. The ancient cultural hubs are found throughout Imereti: in Vani, Kutaisi, Geguti, Vartsikhe (Rodopolis), Shorapani, Terjola, Kharagauli and many others. Because of their favorable geographical location, those places had strategic and economic-political significance. There were the big trade roads including the Silk Road that contributed the development of culture and trade.

homemade wine and very delicious food which differs from the other Georgian regions by its variety. Visitors enjoy a traditional table (supra) ceremony of feasting and drinking wine, which includes eloquent toastmasters displaying great respect to guests and an incomparable sense of festivity and merriment. Cuisine The Imeretian cuisine is very diverse. The food characterizing this region includes Imeretian cheese, Khachapuri,

Tours in Imereti Imereti Tourism and Resort Association Address: 8 Kaukchashvili str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 67 84; Cell: +995 577 46 27 09 Fax.: +995 431 24 67 84 E-mail: imerturi@yahoo.com www.imertour.com Galantravel LTD Tel.: +995 431 25 53 65 Cell: +995 593 31 68 53; www.travelgeorgia.gol.ge Bagrati 1003 Address: 2a Tsereteli II lane, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 597 40 59 06; Tel.: +995 431 23 55 00 Fax.: +995 431 24 91 88 E-mail: travel.info@bagrati1003.ge www.bagrati1003.ge Kolkhituri Address: 8 Kaukchashvili str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 25 03 16 Cell: +995 593 11 86 98

Tourist Resources There are more than two hundred historical monuments in the Imereti region. The Imereti region is known for its remarkable location extending from the humid subtropics, alpine meadows and numerous health spas to a large number of mineral water springs. Among the numerous historical monuments of the region are Gelati Monastery and Bagrati Cathedral, which have been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Imeretian people are famous for their fabulous hospitality, which like friendship is one of the codes by which they live. They usually treat their guests to

Pelamushi, Mchadi, Lobio and different spinach dishes. Kachapuri is a delicious food – cheese rolled in thin flat dough, which is baked either in pan or ketsi. This famous dish for which Georgians are known comes in many varieties depending on the region. In Imereti it is thin and airy. Other dishes include “mchadi” – corn cakes, and “ekala” – spinach prepared with different herbs. And don’t forget to try Imeretian cheeses, including curd with mint, a local delicacy.

CTC - Caucasus Travel Center Address: 8 E. Takaishvili Street, 5400, Tskaltubo, Imereti, Georgia. Tel.: +995 790 94 49 62 Fax.: +995 436 22 41 96 Cell: +995 599 94 49 62 E-mail: ctctour@gmail.com; ctctour@mail.ru Skype: elguja909 www.ctctour.ge AST Travel Address: 53 Leselidze str., Old Tbilisi Center, Tbilisi, Georgia Tel.: +995 32 272 25 05; +995 790 22 40 40 Cell: +995 591 61 19 19

E-mail: info.asttravel@gmail.com; abroad.asttravel@gmail.com www.asttravel.ge Global Travel Address: 18 Shartava, Tbilisi, Georgia Tel.: +995 32 223 18 33; +995 32 218 29 69 E-mail: marketing@globaltravel.ge www.globaltravel.ge Universal Travel Address: 7 Ts. Dadiani str., Shopping center Karvasla, V floor, Tbilisi, Georgia Tel.: +995 32 223 61 42; +995 32 266 58 68 Fax.: +995 32 266 58 68 Cell: +995 593 98 83 48 E-mail: unitravelge@yahoo.com www.unitravel.ge My Way Address: 14, I Abashidze str., 0179, Tbilisi, Georgia Tel.: +995 32 223 44 06; +995 32 223 44 07 E-mail: travel@mywaytravel.ge www.mywaytravel.ge Travel Shop Address: 10 I Abashidze, 0179, Tbilisi, Georgia Tel.: +995 32 242 04 20 Fax.: +995 32 223 14 88 E-mail: info@travelshop.ge www.travelshop.ge Berika Address: 2 Mtskheta str., 0179, Tbilisi, Georgia Tel.: +995 32 222 29 41; +995 32 222 13 41 E-mail: berika@berika.ge; incoming@berika.ge www.berika.ge

Your guide for Kutaisi and Imereti Region


Welcome to Kutaisi

6

www.tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge

Kutaisi – the Second Capital of Georgia Kutaisi was founded more than 3,500 years ago. According to Greek mythology, Kutaisi was the city where Jason stole the Golden Fleece. Kutaisi is the gateway to West and North Georgia located on the junction of the main East-West highway and the road to Russia

Kutaisi is the second largest city in Georgia after Tbilisi. It is situated in the central part of the Imereti Region on both banks of the river Rioni. The distance to Tbilisi is 220 Km, 100 Km to Black sea and

turizmi.kutaisi.gov.ge - Georgian web-page turizm.kutaisi.gov.ge - Russian web-page tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge - English web-page

the same distance to the amazing mountain regions of Racha, Lechkhumi, Samegrelo and Svaneti. That is why it was considered to be a manufacturing, educational, cultural and touristic center not only in the region but in the whole western part of the country throughout Georgian history. The city is located on both the main roadways and railways intersecting the country. The airport is 125300 meters above sea level. According to the census of 2002 the population of the town including refugees is 186,000 people. The territory of the town is 7000 hectares 2/3 of which is inhabited. The town is divided

into 12 municipal territories. Low-mountainous Okriba borders to the northeast of Kutaisi, Samgurali mountain to the north, Kolkhi Valley to the southeast. The population of the town mainly inhabits the plain. The northern districts of the town are situated on the hills on both banks of the river Rioni. The southern part of the town is on Sapichkhia hillock which is one of the terraces of the river Rioni. The climate of the town is temperately humid subtropical. Winter is temperately warm and dry and summer is hot. Eastern wind often blows. Average annual temperature is 14. 5 C that is different by 5C from other districts of Imereti Region. Annual precipitation is about 1730 mg a year. The length of main automobile roads of the town is 312km. Kutaisi is an inseparable part of Georgia’s cultural life and its traditions were formulated over hundreds of years. Famous writers and poets were brought up here. There are opera and folk song festivals and art expositions held every year in Kutaisi. Population: 186,400 Total area: 65 sq. km Elevation from sea level: 80 m - 120 m Main Sectors: Trade, Industry, Transport

Main industries and products: Food industry (meat, dairy, mineral water, alcoholic beverages); Wood processing (semi-finished products, furniture); Textile

industry (natural silk, carpets, ready-to wear clothing); Mineral processing (Chalk, cement, color pigments); Machine-building (agricultural equipment, oil pumps, tractors, trucks, car parts, hoists).

Hotels of Kutaisi Hotel „Bagrati“ Address: 2 a 2 nd alley Tsereteli str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 75 76 +995 431 25 33 02 Cell: +995 591 22 93 93 +995 597 67 17 17 Fax.: +995 431 24 91 88 E-mail: info@bagrati1003.ge www. Bagrati1003.ge Hotel “Aietis Sasakhle” (Aeetes’ Castle) Address: 34 Tabidze str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 44 07; +995 431 25 35 03 Cell: +995 599 515 676

E-mail: admin@aeetes-hotel.com www.aeetes-hotel.com

Cell: +995 555 52 65 06 E-mail: kutaisi2008@rambler.ru

Hotel “Europe” Address: Highway of Samtredia, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 599 69 77 08

Hotel “Aia” Address: 8 Chavchavadze str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 22 36 76 Cell: +995 593 46 68 99

Hotel “Betsi” Address: VII turn of youth, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 790 367 360 Cell: +995 555 34 07 60 Hotel “Oasis” Address: 9 Brose str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 25 31 56

Your guide for Kutaisi and Imereti Region

Hotel “Alaverdi” Address: 23 Bukia str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 27 20 82 Cell: +995 599 71 64 40 Hotel “Gelati” Address: 4 turn, 26 May II, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia

Tel.: +995 431 24 80 74 Cell: +995 577 76 42 58 E-mail: natela4@yahoo.com www.gelati1.narod.ru Hotel “Imeri” Address: 25 Nikea str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 23 99 99 +995 431 23 48 23; Cell: +995 599 45 57 92 www.imerihotel.com Hotel “Imperial” Address: 28 Mchedlidze str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 579 19 19 39


7

Welcome to Kutaisi www.tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge

Resorts of Imereti Imereti is popular for its mineral waters and resorts. Sairme, Nunisi, Sulor, Vani and Tskaltubo are popular in all former Soviet countries. Fifty three resorts are available nowadays in Imereti.

Resort Tskaltubo Takaltubo, center of the region with the same name, is a balneological health resort (spa) located about 240km from Tbilisi in western Georgia, near Kutaisi, at an altitude of 120m. The spa resort complex includes sanatoriums, bath-houses, clinics, dispensaries, hotels and etc. The resort can operate throughout the year and during Soviet times it used to be frequented by more than 100,000 visitors annually with an average stay of 18 days. After the break-up of the Soviet Union, Tskaltubo lost its visitor base and in 1993 its sanatoriums became a shelter for the refugees from Abkhazia. Today Tskaltubo is a renewed resort with many tourists in all seasons of the year. Currently Tskaltubo has a population of about 16,000 plus 6,000 refugees from Abkhazia. It hosts more than 4,000 tourists annually. On a territory surrounded by hills and hillocks and green plants, warm mineral springs are scattered that have been shown to have excellent results in the treatment of rheumatism and many other ailments. They use certain techniques of bath-making. During the process of treatment the water is continuously flowing in and out of bath until the end of the procedure, which constantly maintains the water’s physical, chemical and healing properties and temperature uniformity. These mineral waters include the ingredients at least at the lower edge of the allowed limit.

Tskaltubo is a very important place for tourism. Near Tskaltubo there are ancient and unique architectural monuments such as: Geguti fortress, Gelati Cloister Complex, Motsameta, Nikortsminda, Vani, Nakalakevi and many century-old histories. In Takaltubo, in the preserve of Sataplia, there are preserved dinosaur tracks more than a million years old and considered by scientists as one of the rarest monuments throughout the whole world. In addition to this there are also museums of folklore and fine art. Nowadays the resort offers guests a full package of service: 15 kinds of treatments in bath procedures, comfortable and modern hotels and many sights.

Tskaltubo is connected to the capital city, Tbilisi, also Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and other countries by the automobile, railway and air ways, making a visit to Tskaltubo both easy and interesting. Visit Tskaltubo for unforgettable memories and good health. www.tskaltuboresort.ge

Resort Sairme Sairme is a very important balneologicalclimatic resort in the region of Baghdadi. It is located 915-950 m above sea level, 55 km from the city Kutaisi and 25 km from Baghdadi, situated in the deep gorge of the Tsablaristskali which originates to the north-west of the Ajara-Imereti mountains, with Big-Maghala Peak (2848) to the west. Sairme resort is surrounded by a pine forest

Sairme is a very useful resort not only for vacationing but also for the treatment of many human diseases. The season in Sairme starts in May and continues up to November, but the August the average temperature of +17 C there makes it a real paradise compared to Tbilisi in the heat. So come to see Sairme, rest, treat and enjoy yourself with the pure air and mineral waters!

Resort Nunisi Resort Nunisi is situated in the BorjomiK h a r a g a u l i fo r e s t park’s territory. Its mineral spring used to cure illnesses of the skin such as eczema, psoriasis and others. In 2002 reconstructive work was conducted here. The resort has 5 cottages with some 70 beds; also it has a dining room and a club. It is now regularly booked fully during the summer season (June-September), attracting domestic tourists as well as some international visitors of the Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park www.nunisi.ge

Resort Satsire

of 19,000 hectares that plays a great role in creating the climate. The Lesser Caucasus Range of Ajara-Imereti begins just 7-8 km from the forest. The climate is mild and winters are with a little snow (average temperature in January is +1,0 C). It has moderate warm summer (average temperature in August is +17 C). The amount of precipitation is 900 mm in a year. Healing factor: mineral water of Narzan type with carbonic acid hydrocarbonate calcic-sodium (water #1 and #3) and of Borjomi type with carbonic acid hydro-carbonate sodium (well #4 and #5) waters. For over a hundred years Sairme’s mineral waters have been used for treatment of stomach and kidneys. Sairme has its own history. It was discovered by hunter-shepherds who observed that deer were coming to this place very often. In 1944 thanks to the labours of Baghdadi inhabitants, people of its neighbouring regions and members of German prisoner camp that was organized turizmi.kutaisi.gov.ge - Georgian web-page turizm.kutaisi.gov.ge - Russian web-page tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge - English web-page

in Sairme, the resort joined the regional centre by automobile road. In 1946 lengthening this way to Zakari pass, BaghdadiAbastumani connected west and south parts of Georgia, giving a strategic importance to the road.

but at present it is partly out of order. The old bath is functioning now, which can serve 280 people per day. It is currently mainly used by local residents and some domestic day-tourists.

Resort Satsire is well-known as a children’s health resort. It is located on the height of730-740m from sea level. The conjoined climate of sea and mountain is effective for bronchitis and pneumonia. The resort has a building with 150 beds and a dining-room. It is functioning and used by domestic visitors.

Resort Simoneti Resort Simoneti, Terjola district, has been functioning since 1967. Bathing treatments were used in curing the following illnesses: hard chronic arthritis, heart shortage and others. A building with 30 bathrooms was constructed in resort Simoneti,

Resort Amaghleba Resort Amagleba is situated on the left bank of the river Rioni, near the centre of Vani district. The temperature of thermal mineral springs is more than 40C. It turizmi.kutaisi.gov.ge - Georgian web-page turizm.kutaisi.gov.ge - Russian web-page tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge - English web-page

consists of: Sodium, chlorine, carbon. The mineral water of Amagleba can be used to cure the following illnesses: chronic arthritis, infectious thematic.

Resort Sulori Resort Sulori is situated 9 km from the centre of Vani district, on the hills of AdjaraAkhaltsikhe Mountains. Resort Sulori’s mineral waters are of the same types as Tskaltubo ones. The salt of Brome which was found in the mineral spring of Sulori calms nervous systems. The following diseases can be cured by the mineral spring of Sulori: Arches heart shortage, hypertonic the defect of nerve system, gynecological illnesses.

Hotels Sairme Holiday House “Samotkhe” (Heaven) Cell: +995 599 16 61 51; +995 597 16 61 51 Tel.: +995 32 232 34 40; +995 32 231 70 24 Hotel “Iberia” (the former government residence) Cell: +995 599 90 50 77; +995 599 79 91 91 Sanatorium “Baghdati” Cell: +995 599 19 00 96 Sanatorium “Sairme” Cell: +995 599 56 61 89 Hotel “Iberia” in Sairme of Interresort LTD Cell: +995 599 16 61 51 “Udabno” (Health Sanatorium “Oasis”) Cell: +995 599 56 23 90 Holiday House “Sairme 2004” Cell: +995 599 14 95 90 Cottages “Stream of Beauty” Cell: +995 599 56 61 89

Tskaltubo JSC “BALNEOSERVICE” Bath house # 6 (“Stalin Spring”) Address: Park of resort, Tskaltubo, 5400, Georgia Tel.: +995 436 22 26 05 Cell: +995 599 49 91 12 +995 599 98 68 02 +995 599 94 49 62 www.welcome.ge/tskhaltubosparesort Hotel “Sami Datvi” (Three Bears) Address: Territory of Central Park, Tskaltubo, Georgia Cell: +995 599 35 43 77 “Oasis” Address: 23 Rustaveli str., Tskaltubo, Georgia Tel.: +995 436 22 49 49 Cell: +995 599 16 39 17 Sanatorium “Tskaltubo” Address: 1. Paliashvili str., Tskaltubo, Georgia Tel.: +995 436 22 20 49 Cell: +995 599 24 70 47 www.tskaltubokurort.ge

Your guide for Kutaisi and Imereti Region


Welcome to Kutaisi

8

www.tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge

Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park is situated in the central part of Georgia and it is also part of Lesser Caucasus. This is one of the largest parks in Europe, covering 85 000 hectares that is nearly 1 % of Georgia’s total area. The majority of mountain forests are still in pristine condition. In the forests of Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park, in its subalpine and alpine

meadows you can see numerous endemic and relict flora samples and rare representatives of fauna. First National Park in the Caucasus Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park is the first national park in Caucasus. It was established in 1995 with the support of World Wild Fund (WWF) and the German Government and it was officially opened in 2001. Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park in 2007 joined the network of Protected Areas Network in Europe (PAN Park www. panpark.org). Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park was established for the protection of

a variety of wildlife, especially mountain untouched forests. Tourist Infrastructure In this park there are 9 tourist routes differing from each other in complexity and duration. The height of trails varies in altitude from 450-2642 meters. It is possible to arrange tours lasting a few hours or more serious routes including 5 days hiking on the territory of National Park. Along the trails there are stopovers located where visitors can stay overnight. In addition to this there are arranged places for picnic and camping. A network of trails invites you to experience the stunning variety of blossoming plants, breathtaking views and a magical atmosphere. In addition to the untouched beauty of the national park, the surrounding villages are rich with medieval history, cottage industries and legendary Georgian hospitality. Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park also offers to visitors riding and cycling tours. www.nationalpark.ge Ajameti The state reservation of Ajameti in the Baghdati district is founded in 1935 and is located 15 kilometers away from Kutaisi. The reservation contains rare oak forests, animals and birds. The main goal of the state reservation of Ajameti is to propagate

and study Georgian flora and fauna and samples of Colchis forest. Sataplia The Sataplia reservation is situated on the Sataplia mountain, near Kutaisi. The total area of this reservation is 354 hectares. There are many karst caves on the territory of the reservation. The most interesting is the “Sataplia Cave” situated on the Samgurali hill. It is corridor type cave with branches and halls. A little river flows there that has been cutting the cave for 30 million years. In one of the halls there is a well in which the waterfall is falling, and at

the bottom is a small lake. There are also about 200 footprints of dinosaur, those are engraved on the limestones on two-tier. To the north there is a rocky relief covered with turizmi.kutaisi.gov.ge - Georgian web-page turizm.kutaisi.gov.ge - Russian web-page tourism.kutaisi.gov.ge - English web-page

flowers. In this rock there are many families of bees which offer the cave its name since in Georgian “Sataplia” means the place where there is much honey. Sataplia Cave is wellbuilt and on the territory of the cave there is a functioning bio-speleology museum.

Hotels Kharagauli Hotel “Ugheltexili” Address: 8 King Solomon str., Kharagauli, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 593 13 86 16

Hotel “Marelisi” Address: Village Marelisi, Kharagauli, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 593 13 86 16 E-mail: ko20@mail.ru

“Prometheus” Cave • Location – underground, • General direction – South West • Number of Halls – more than 15 • Length of Tourist route in the cave – 1060 m. • Maximum height – 21 m. Air temperature – 15-17 • Water temperature 13-14 “Prometheus” cave is one of the richest caves of Europe. It is characterized by the variety of underground rivers and beautiful landscapes. Golden Fleece cave meets all needs of international level tourism. Walking route for tourists is 1060 m. Also tourists can sail on an underground lake (280m). In nearby territories where there are other caves speleological tours can be organized.

The total length of these caves is 15 555 m. • Tours for those who are interested in extreme tours and can be organized. • One day route on foot/by horses can be organized (6 km). Tourists can walk in forests, visit complex of caves. • Tourist camps can be organized on the territory.

Museums and Galleries of Imereti Kutaisi D.Kakabadze Art Gallery Address: 8 Rustaveli Avenue, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 23 29 Kutaisi Sport Museum Address: 3 IV turn, Paliashvili Street, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 28 17

E-mail: kiem@wanex.ge www.histmuseum.ge

Khoni, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 495 22 19 77

Kutaisi National Museum of Military Glory Address: 2 Mari Brose str. Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 09 35, +995 431 24 80 47

Irakli Abashvidze House Museum Address: 10 Irakli Abashidze str., Khoni, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 595 25 46 48

The Museum of Military Honor of Kutaisi Address: 2 Brose Street, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 09 35

Kutaisi Modern Arts Gallery Address: 8 Rustaveli str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 23 29

Kutaisi D. Mkheidze Museum of Photo-Movie Chronicles Address: Ir. Abashidze Street #18, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 27 01 92

Kutaisi-Gelati State Muzeum-Reserve Address: 7 Nazarishvili str., Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 01 55

Memorial Museum of Zakaria Phaliashvili Address: 23 P. Varlamishvili, Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 42 57, +995 431 24 09 36 Kutaisi State Historical Museum Address : 1 Tbilisi str. Kutaisi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 431 24 56 91, +995 431 24 56 77, +995 431 24 49 72, +995 431 25 04 39

Niko Nikoladze House Museum Address: 109 N. Nikoladze str., Village Didi Jikhaishi, Samtredia, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 411 25 15 15, Cell: +995 599 57 83 99 Pictures Gallery os Samtredia Address: 252 Rustaveli str. Samtredia, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 411 22 26 21 +995 411 22 26 21 Khoni Museum of Local Lore Address: 2 Guramishvili str.

Your guide for Kutaisi and Imereti Region

Tskaltubo Museum of Local Lore Address: 37 Rustaveli str., Tskaltubo, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 436 22 31 32 Niko Lortkipanidze House Museum Address: Village Chuneshi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 240 22 44 88 Galaktion and Titsian Tabidze House Museum Address: Village Chkvishi, Vani, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 593 93 56 05 Vani Archaeological Museum Address: Vakhtang Gorgasali str. Vani, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 432 22 16 02 E-mail: info@museum.ge www.museum.ge Chiatura Museum of Local Lore Address : 1 Vakhtang Gorgasali str., Chiatura 5500, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 593 60 71 99

Tkibuli Museum Local Lore Address: 12 Konstantine Gamsaxurdia str., Tkibuli, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 497 22 33 01 Vladimer Maikovski House Museum Address: 1 Bagdati str, Bagdati, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 790 94 94 24 David and Sergo Kldiashvili House Museum Address: Village Zeda Simoneti, Terjola District, Imereti, Georgia Cell: +995 599 73 48 95 Zestaponi Museum of Local Lore Address: 27 Aghmashenebeli str., Zestaponi, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 492 25 15 26 Kharagauli Museum of Local Lore Address: 47. 9 Aprili str., Kharagauli, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 433 22 14 16 Sachkhere Museum of Local Lore Address: Village Skhvitori, Sachkhere district, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 435 22 53 19 Akaki Tsereteli State Museum Address: Village Skhvitori, Sachkhere District, Imereti, Georgia Tel.: +995 435 22 16 97


CMYK

9

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

Address: 8A, Rustaveli str. Tel.: +995 431 241103

DISCLAIMER THIS PUBLICATION HAS BEEN PRODUCED WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE EUROPEAN UNION. THE CONTENTS OF THIS PUBLICATION ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE KUTAISI CITY HALL AND CAN IN NO WAY BE TAKEN TO REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION.

Imereti Regional Administration

Kutaisi City Hall

“An integrated approach for the sustainability of the tourism production” A project co-financed under the EU-funded CIUDAD programme www.ciudad-programme.eu


CMYK

10

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

Historical and Cultural Monuments of Kutaisi in “chronicon 223”, i.e., 1003. In 1692, it was devastated in an explosion by Ottoman troops invading the Kingdom of Imereti. The incident caused the cupola and ceiling to collapse leaving the cathedral in its present ruinous state. Though only ruins of the cathedral remain today, even now visitors are amazed by its size and splendor. Many beautiful carved stone fragments are scattered around the building. The lavish decor of facades and especially the porticoes vividly demonstrate the wonderful achievements of Georgian architecture in the stylized depiction of flora and fauna. The conservation and restoration works, as well as archaeological studies, which began in 1952, are still underway. In 1994, the Bagrati Cathedral, together with the Gelati Monastery, was included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site list as a single entity. In 2001, the cathedral was restored to the Georgian Orthodox Church. It is now of limited use for worship services, but attracts many pilgrims and tourists. A distinct landmark in the scenery of central Kutaisi, the cathedral rests upon the top of Uk’imerioni Hill and serves as a symbol of the whole city of Kutaisi.

Bagrati Cathedral XI c. As the whole territory of Georgia, the Imereti region is rich with antique, early and modern Christian period’s historical-cultural monuments. These monuments are very interesting for tourists. There are more than 450 historical-cultural monuments in the Imereti region. The most noteworthy and frequently visited monuments are Gelati Monastery Complex (100.000 visitors in Jan-Aug. 2009) and Bagrati Cathedral in Kutaisi (30.000 visitors in Jan-Aug. 2009). Both sites are listed as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. Gelati Monastery The Gelati monastery, the greatest cultural centre of medieval times, lies 11 km north-east of Kutaisi, in the valley of the river Tskaltsitela. Gelati monastery was built by the greatest King of Georgia, David the Builder. The construction began in 1106 and was finished in 1130. The main cathedral dedicated to the Virgin Mary stands in the ensemble’s heart. To the east of the main temple is St. George’s church, which is much smaller in proportion. To the west of main temple stands the two-storied St. Nicholas church built in the late XIII c. In the monastery’s main vestibule (south) is David the Builder’s tomb. The monastery also contains the ruins of the Gelati Academy. By building Gelati Monastery, David the Builder created a symbol of Georgia’s strength and unity. Gelati Monastery represented not only a place where Georgian people prayed, but it was also a place where Georgians could receive a higher education. Gelati was the centre of goldsmith’s art. The masterpiece of goldsmith’s art, the magnificently enameled Icon of our Lady of Khakhuli, was created there. The main cathedral is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The reconstruction of this church started after the completion of Gelati church and finished after the king’s death. In the south gate of Gelati Monastery there is the sepulcher of David the Builder.

This gate represented the central entrance of Gelati monastery and people who entered the monastery through this gate tread upon the kings gravestone. To the east of the main cathedral St.George’s church is situated. It was built in the XVI centuries but it is much smaller. The walls inside the church are covered with XVI century frescos. You can see the fresco where the scene of St. George’s torture is represented. St. George holds a special place in the heart of Georgians, and there are at least 365 churches dedicated to St. George throughout the country. To the west of the main church there is a two-storey church of St. Nikoloz and the building of Academy. Gelati academy functioned for several centuries as a place where Georgians were studying geometry,

mathematics, music, philosophy, grammar, rhetoric and astronomy. Gelati Academy’ Scholars translated a wide variety of Greek and Latin books into Georgian. Unfortunately nowadays only the ruins of it are remained. The academy was destroyed during Ottoman invasion in 1510. Bagrati Cathedral King Bagrat III Bagrationi, was the first king of united Georgia in the middle ages, and his activities served to further unify the country at that time. Bagrati Cathedral was built by Bagrat III in the late 11th century, and the cathedral stood intact till the end of the 17th century, with an interior elaborately ornamented with mosaic. An inscription on the north wall reveals that the floor was laid

Mostameta Monastery (Monastery of Martyrs) Motsameta monastery: 6 kilometers from Kutaisi. The monastery and church are beautifully surrounded by forest. From the higher parts of town you can walk there along the train line, from where you have a nice view. Next to the entrance of the church you can descend to a swimming place along the Rioni River. The foundation and erection of Motsameta church is connected with two brothers, David and Konsntine Mkheidze, who sacrificed their lives to Georgia in a battle against Arabs. Georgians built the burial-vault for the saintly relics and called the village and the monastery “Motsameta”, which means martyrdom. This little monastery has very beautiful views over the gorge of the river Tskhastsitela . The name of the river derives from 8th century and in English it means the red river. To make your dearest wish come true, simply crawl three times under the tomb of the two princely martyrs for whom this church is dedicated. Locals say that it never fails! In the south side of the church tower there is an inscription that it was built by Imeretian

Gelati Monastery XII c.


CMYK

11

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

100

80

60

Shorapani Fortress In the 3rd century B.C. Kartlian King Parnavaz constructed a fortress which used to serve in medieval ages as fortress in Shorapani, Zestaponi region. The fortress was so large and full of tunnels that the population of the city could fit in it without a problem. Because of its strategic importance, the Shorapani fortress was constantly attacked. People assume that caravanserai, a market and smithys were located here. Shorapani represented the link between western and east earn countries. A lot of interesting materials have been found as a result of archeological diggings, which are kept in the Zestaponi museum of province studies.

Mgvimevi’s Nunnery Metropolitan David’s order in 1845. Motsameta is a very important monument and has been listed in the Georgian nation heritage treasury. Geguti Castle Geguti palace, one of the masterpieces of Georgian architecture, is situated to the North of Kutaisi. Nowadays only the ruins

smith and iconography schools existed as well. Huge clay pots were kept in the village, in which people used to save water and wine. The chapel painting is very interesting, dating back to the 14th century. The brilliant compositions of all religious holidays are present here, including Lady Day, the crucifixion, the resurrection and others.

Golden Hall – Okros Chardakhi The part of town situated on the left bank of the river Rioni was mostly located on the plain. This part of the town was surrounded by a stone fence and contained palaces churches and other edifices which were peculiar to the Feudal epoch. Of these edifices only Okros

40

20

100

80

60

40

20

Petre-Pavle Church. The two Greek masters, Abram Zakharid and Abram Slirov, were initially in charge of the construction, but soon the committee discharged them and made a contract with the famous architect Isidore Berekashvili. April 9th, 1903, the Petre-Pavle Church was ceremonially sanctified. In 1923, the church was considered as invalid and rebuilt as a club for 5th Georgian Legion. In December of 1924, the parish managed to get the church back in its legal property but at the end of 1930 the church was abolished again. In May of 1944, the Petre-Pavle Church was sanctified a second time and from 1947 it became the temple of Kutaisi-Gaenati Eparchy, ruled by Metropolitan Kalistrate (Margalitashvili). Mtsvanekvavila Mtsvanekvavila is situated in the Northwest part of Kutaisi on the left bank of the river Rioni. Mtsvanekvavila is a very interesting district of Kutaisi not only for its beautiful nature but also for its historical monuments. Among them the oldest historical monument is a small church basilica erected in 1013. At present the walls are partly destroyed and the roof has collapsed.

Katskhi’s Monastery XI c. Motsameta’s Monastery VIII-XI c. of Geguti palace remain. Geguti palace was constructed in the 12-th century. Though Geguti palace was destroyed, Georgian architects have managed to set up the plan of the palace, from which we can imagine the enormous beauty of Geguti palace. Fortress of Kutaisi (Kutaisi Citadel) One of the parts of Kutaisi known as the citadel had great importance because it represented the only defensive means for Kutaisi dwellers. The citadel was located on the right bank of the river Rioni, on the hill, and it played a great role in history of Kutaisi. Byzantine writer Procophi Caesarian (VI c.) called Kutaisi’s citadel Ukimerioni. According to Procophi Caesarian, Citadel-Kutaisi was located on Mukhirisi territory, and the Greeks called it Kotaion but the Laz (Georgians) called it Kutai. Ubisa St. George’s chapel and monastery complex is situated near the Ubisa village in Imereti. Ubisa is considered to be built in the 9th C. The Ubisa monastery was Queen Tamar’s favorite place. Transcription of books has been done throughout the centuries in the monastery;

Katskhi Column Katskhi column is located in the Chiatura district. Its supporting columns soar up to 40 meters. Researchers claim that it used to be a cloister for outsiders. Researchers link this structure to chapels featuring similar columns wide-spread thoughout Syria. No one knows exactly when the religious living stopped in the Katskhi column. For the moment it is impossible to get here without alpinist equipment. However, construction of lifts is in progress to allow tourist get acquainted with this miracle. Vanis Nakalakevi Vanis Nakalakevi is located in the Vani district and dates back to the 8th century B.C. Vani used to be the cultural center of Kolkheti. Traces of scarifying and tomb graves are found in Nakalakevi. Vani archeological museum can be traced here as well, where the hall, library, restoration and foundation departments are situated. An exhibit has been opened in the museum that features unique examples of gold and othersmith’s work, silver and bronze products and coins are kept.

Chardakhi remains, but there are many sources and historical records which give us information about the other buildings. Petre-Pavle Church May 10th, 1881, at the advice of Bishop Gabriel, the parish of Sila district declared the construction of their own church in honor of the murdered Russian Emperor Aleksander II. At the end of 1882, the special committee began the construction of

Synagogue In an old suburb of Kutaisi, near the Mtsvanekvavila area, there is a small Jewish settlement. Georgian and Jewish people never had their separate happiness or sorrow from each other. Here is a beautiful Jewish Synagogue, built in 1886 with white stone, similar to the stone used for construction of Jerusalem and covered with various ornaments. There are more than 500 sitting places in the Synagogue.

Ubisa’s Monastery XI c.

Historical and Cultural Monuments of Kutaisi

Welcome To Kutaisi English edition  

Welcome To Kutaisi English edition

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you