Faro is a city with 41,307 inhabitants, Capital District Faro, the region, sub-region, and even the old province of Algarve which occupies an area of 4960 km ² and where they live 426 386 inhabitants (2007). It is home to a municipality with 201.59 km ² and 58,698 inhabitants (2008), subdivided into six parishes. The municipality is bordered to the north and west by the municipality of São Brás de Alportel, east of Olhão, Loulé by west and south coast is the Ocean Atlantic. Through Faro airport, the city is the second largest external input of the country (following the Lisbon), which gives a valence distinctly cosmopolitan. The Ria Formosa lagoon attracted human
occupants from the Palaeolithic age until the end of pre-history. During that time a settlement grew up – Ossónoba – which was an important town during the hert period of Roman occupation and, according to historians, the forerunner of present-day Faro. From the 3rd century onwards and during the Visigothic period it was the site of an Episcopal see.
With the advent of Moorish rule in the 8th century Ossónoba retained its status as the most important town in the southwest corner of the Iberian Peninsula. In the 9th century it became the capital of a short-lived princedom and was fortified with a ring of defensive walls. At this time the name Santa Maria began to be used instead of Ossónoba. Later on the town was known as Harun (from a local Muslim chieftain), hence its current name, Faro. During the 500 years of Moorish rule there were some Jewish inhabitants in Faro who wrote copies of the Old Testament. One of Faro's historical names in Arabic is أخ شون بة. The Moors were defeated by the forces of the Portuguese King Afonso III in 1249. With the decline of the importance of the city of Silves, Faro took over the role of administration of the Algarve area.
International Reception Week of AIESEC in Faro, 2010