Taking Your Global Vehicle Abroad

Page 1

Extraordinary Fleet Solutions

Taking Your Global Vehicle Abroad. Now that the UK has left the EU there have been a number of changes made by the government with regards to travelling and driving abroad which mean that we have had to become stricter with our processes concerning taking your Global vehicle abroad. You must gain authorisation from Global in order to take your vehicle abroad as this may not be possible. If we do authorise you to take your vehicle abroad it is important that you carefully cover all requirements in good time before you travel to ensure that you are not at risk. Your insurance cover abroad could be limited if you do not update your insurers, meaning that damage to or loss of the vehicle is not covered. Without the correct documentation the vehicle could be seized; or without full breakdown cover things such as repatriation costs to the UK may not be covered in the case of an incident.

Don’t leave home without the following compulsory documentation to ensure your vehicle is covered: Your Car Insurance Certificate and Insurance Contact Details You must ensure that your UK insurance protects you from accidents and theft abroad. If you don’t have the protection, you will only have minimum legal cover which is usually third-party-only in the EU. Be aware that you may need to pay a premium to extend your cover. Global advise that drivers carry evidence of insurance at all times whilst driving abroad.

1 of 4. | Taking Your Global Vehicle Abroad.

You may now need to have a green card when driving in Europe; a green card is proof that you have vehicle insurance when driving abroad. Your insurer will be able to organise this for you by post (allow up to 6 weeks) or will tell you how to download this to print yourself. You will need to carry extra green cards if you are towing a trailer or a caravan, have two insurance policies covering your trip or have multi car or fleet insurance.

+44 (0)113 391 8040 | globalautocare.co.uk

Contact our Driver Services team who will provide you with a VE103b Certificate application form: driver.services@globalautocare.co.uk

A VE103b Certificate As your vehicle is hired / leased you will need a VE103b Certificate (Vehicle on Hire certificate) from the registered owner, Global. The certificate provides evidence of permission for the vehicle to be taken abroad and reduces the number of stolen vehicles crossing international borders. A VE103b replaces the need to carry the vehicle registration document (V5C) which would otherwise be required abroad.

Breakdown Cover Breakdowns abroad are not covered under your UK insurance and recovering a vehicle back to the UK could be very expensive. Breakdown and recovery insurance is available from most insurers, but be clear that you require the cover to extend to Europe. Depending on the age of your Global vehicle, it may be covered under the manufacturer's European roadside assistance (please see page 4).

You must take a hard copy of the certificate as a scanned copy will not be accepted. Without the original VE103b Certificate you are unprotected and vulnerable to potentially large fines or the vehicle being impounded.

GB stickers and number plates You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag, or to drive in Ireland.

Global require a minimum of 2 weeks' notification prior to the date you wish to take the vehicle out of the UK. This provides us with sufficient time to organise all the legal documentation and ensure that the certificate is in your possession before you go.

2 of 4. | Taking Your Global Vehicle Abroad.

You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following: A Euro symbol, a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales, numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier. If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

+44 (0)113 391 8040 | globalautocare.co.uk

Other compulsory items With travel to Europe your Passport must now be valid and not expire within at least 6 months when travelling to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). Check if you need to renew your passport before travelling to Europe. You need to take your full (not provisional) driving licence with you to drive abroad, it’s really important that you carry this at all times and it must be produced on demand. You may also need an International Driving Permit, please check the government guidance and ensure this is obtained if required. Check if you need an International Driving Permit. You will need a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) and / or travel insurance with health cover before you travel. There are additional rules for business travel within the EU and you may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel. www.gov. uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021/businesstravel-extra-requirements.

3 of 4. | Taking Your Global Vehicle Abroad.

Always check the travel advice for the country you are visiting: It is compulsory to follow certain guidelines and carry safety equipment in some countries. www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice. Read any guidance for travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic before you plan your trip: www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advicenovel-coronavirus. Emergency Services – Call 112 This number will work in all European countries, whether you are calling from a fixed or mobile phone, 112 will put you in touch with all emergency services: ambulance, fire brigade or the police. Check if you are travelling in Low Emission Zones (LEZ) as these require a sticker to be placed in your windscreen. You can order online in advance but you will need a digital photocopy of the VE103 Certificate. The full country list of Low Emission Zones can be found on the Urban Access Regulations website. www.urbanaccessregulations.eu. If you are driving in France check if the region you are visiting requires a CritAir Sticker via the Air Quality Certificate Service. To obtain the sticker you’ll need to provide information which appears on the vehicle's registration document – please call Global. Apply early as the CRIT-Air sticker has a 30-day delivery time but may take longer. www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en.

+44 (0)113 391 8040 | globalautocare.co.uk

Manufacturer's European Assistance: Less than 4 years old • Mercedes-Benz: 00800 1777 7777 or +44 (0) 2079 757077 Less than 3 years old • Audi: 0800 1330 3939 • BMW: 0800 777 111 or 020 8686 2444 • Jaguar :0800 246 844 • MINI: 0800 777 101 or +44 (0) 20 8603 9990 • Porsche: 00 33 472 43 52 55, if in France: 0800 290 112 • Skoda: 0800 526 625 or 00800 1330 3939 • Land Rover: +44 1926 320 003 • Volvo: +44 (0) 208 603 9993 Less than 2 years old • SEAT: 00 800 1330 3939, if in France: 08258 78983 or 04721 71205 Less than 1 year old • Ford: 00800 88776611 or ++33 426 298781 • Volkswagen: 00800 1330 3939

European Driving Checklist: Ensure to pack and check the following before leaving home: Your valid passport Your full, valid driving licence Proof of vehicle insurance and Green Card Travel insurance documents Your breakdown cover documents Your vehicle is taxed and MOT’d Your vehicle has been serviced Proof of ownership (VE103 Certificate – compulsory) GB Euro-sticker if required First aid kit (compulsory in some countries) Breathalyser (compulsory in France) Reflective jacket(s) carried within the passenger compartment Warning triangle (compulsory in most countries) Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your vehicle, you may need beam converters or to adjust your beam manually) Spare bulbs (compulsory in some countries) Low Emission Zone (LEZ) vignette if required (compulsory in some countries) CRIT-Air sticker if you are visiting certain regions in France Access to electric points if your vehicle is electric/ hybrid Understand your vehicle – see Global’s Driver Pack for further advice (contact Global’s Driver Team if you don’t have this – an electronic version can be provided) This list is not exhaustive and as advised above you need to check your requirements country by country.

Useful Links: • GOV.UK Check a passport for travel to Europe: www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe • GOV.UK Guidance for travelling abroad: www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit • GOV.UK Guidance for foreign travel: www.gov.uk/guidance/foreign-travel-insurance • CRIT’Air – France: www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ • Urban Access Regulations: urbanaccessregulations.eu/ • NHS EHIC / GHIC Card: www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/ • GOV.UK Guidance for foreign travel insurance: www.gov.uk/guidance/foreign-travel-insurance

Need Help? If you need help or advice about taking your vehicle abroad, contact us and a member of Global’s Driver Services team will be happy to help you: +44 (0)113 391 8040


Disclaimer: Global can only advise what documentation/in-vehicle accessories are required when driving your vehicle abroad. Ultimately it’s the responsibility of the driver, to ensure you have everything you need. The information provided in this document is for general information purposes and is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication (January 2021). Neither Global Autocare or the author can be held responsible for any actions or consequences from acting on, or refraining from taking any action, as a result of reading this.

4 of 4. | Taking Your Global Vehicle Abroad.

+44 (0)113 391 8040 | globalautocare.co.uk ZTYGVA-02-21