Page 1

Ulverstone Surf Life Saving Club

MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING Tuesday August 9th 2016 at 7.00pm Present: Matt Potter (Chair), Chris Jacobson, Colin Wood, Prue McCulloch, Mick Purton, Anthony Spinks Apologies: Nil Motion that the Minutes from the last meeting be accepted Moved: Matt Potter Seconded: Mick Purton

Carried

Business arising from previous meetings 1. Club colours survey - To be discussed later in general business 2. Banjo’s sponsorship status – issuing of Banjo’s cards - There has been a delay in receiving the promised sponsorship money from Banjo’s - have emailed new bank account details to Banjo’s - Jenny Donnelly to follow up about membership cards 3. Modifications to the front door - Kerry Lynch has been asked about the possibility of installing a perpspex panel between the lift & the wall next to the upstairs main entrance to reduce wind - Likely to be expensive to do. - ongoing 4. Purchase of ski - new ski has arrived - cost was $2500 – from consolidated revenue 5. Possible co-fundraiser with North West Thunder John Beard to investigate alternative options Presidents Report - First meeting so report submitted Treasurers Report Bank Balance as 8 August 2016 Cheque A/C $ 6,915.81 Reserve A/C $ 5,014.08 Total $11,929.89 Banjo’s Sponsorship


-

Still no money however they have requested bank details to make payment.

Payroll: I propose bar staff get paid on a fortnightly basis EFT into their account. I’m not happy with them taking cash at the end of the night. Membership subs are up about $650 on this time last year. Discussion arising from Treasurer’s Report - $11929 in bank, but a large proportion of this money has been allocated for current or expected bills - Payroll to be transferred to EFT payment of bar workers - MYOB payroll version purchased to handle this - Funds are rather tight, but money flowing in from membership renewals - Competition fees have mostly have been paid - An invoice has been received and money paid to Bob Mason. This should be re-imbursed by SLST for board that was damaged during the SLST coaching weekend Motion that the Treasurer’s Report be accepted Moved: Mick Purton Seconded: Prue McCulloch

Carried

Correspondence In: July 1, 2016 - Central Coast Council – Improvement Notice (after kitchen inspection) July 4, 2016 – Central Coast Council – Swim Centre Hire fees increase August 1, 2016 – SLST – Information about Tas. Community Fund August 5, 2016 – Stephen Sheridan – Food Van proposal Discussion arising from Correspondence: Consider reducing Sunday pool sessions to save cost Issue to be discussed with Liz & Shane Swim numbers down because of other options now available Monitor usage over the next month to determine whether it is still viable/sensible Ask Liz to deposit pool takings once a week & if she can forward a log of how many people are using the pool Trailer top b claimed on insurance Out: Surf Sports


-

-

club skis have been checked – one to be sold because of its age Matt to offer it for sale to club members in his newsletter Need more green & red dots to mark gear for training or competition Small group training through winter Colour coded dot system for boards & craft to be documented & reemphasised to members by Mick Purton & in Presidents report Need to free up space in the gear shed by removing boards owned by people who aren’t training this summer Decide next meeting on a date for these boards to be removed from the shed to make room Concern expressed that there is currently no SLST Surf Sports committee & hence no advice about which carnivals have been approved Mick Purton to call Leanne Johannsen to ask if/when carnivals will be allocated

Boats -

may have women’s crew prepared to train, but proficiencies may be a restriction since some of the interested candidates are not yet proficient

Junior Activities - first meeting for Prue McCulloch - Shane Cleaver & Jen Donnelly to offer guidance as needed Lifesaving Report - Meeting of Life Saving Committee three weeks ago - about seven people in the group - Meggan Booth & Sam Watson (radios) Lyndon O’Neil (boats) Mike Hollland (training) Nick Wood & Jack Wood (life saving captains) Chris Jacobson still involved - Need to consider succession plan after current members move on - $5000 grant from Government will be available soon. Life Saving Committee will decide how it is to be spent - 4WD will possibly need to be replaced within a year if it is continued to be used as it currently is. - Possibly approach Tas Community Fund for ute replacement - Current ute is 4 years old (at our club) - Consider whether the 4WD needs to spend as long on the beach as it does during patrol hours. Reducing the time it is spent on the beach will increase it’s longevity & delay the need for replacement. - Chris to approach SLSA grants committee to prepare grant application - SAREX coming up in September


Registrar - need to consider succession plan for registrar, since Ann Eustace has expressed her intention to step down from the role. Building - Matt Potter to follow up “wish list” with Council, which was sent to them a few years ago, of things that we need, or need maintenance or replacement - Need to revisit this list at next meeting - Matt to circulate list to other Board Members - Dishwasher is a major concern because it is likely to breakdown at any point. - Anthony has set aside some money to cover about $5000 of the cost ($6000) - Packaged beer fridges in the bar may need replacement in near future Clubhouse Director - no-one in role currently - Graham Barry is currently managing bookings - Consider appointing him to a newly created role to promote the club that is different from traditional role of Club House Director - It was suggested that the Club House Director role should be encompassing a range of different roles to manage “upstairs” rather than the day-to-day running of the club eg. Overseeing building, kitchen repairs, bar committee - Current system is cumbersome because there are no guidelines covering who has authority to do what. - Find job descriptions to circulate to board members Bar Committee - Matt Potter to talk to Graeme Rollins about scheduling a meeting of Bar Committee in the next two weeks to discuss re-establishment of the bar committee Workplace Health & Safety - Any maintainence/improvement issues? - Travis Burk (previously a member of our club) now has a business that works in OH & S area & may be able to offer some guidance of what we should focus on. General Business 1. Club Colours survey & uniform policy - Shane Cleaver joined the meeting to report on results of on-line member survey - changing from maroon bathers to red was 50-50 split amongst respondents


-

-

-

a preferred logo also not conclusive for a particular design in looking at our official colours as they exist at the current time, the red colour originally was a very deep red therefore, choosing between maroon & red is not as important. The survey results may have been less definitive because it possibly examined too many variables at once Shane’s recommendation: o after analyzing the results & other feedback is that red is too contentious & stay with maroon as colour of our bathers. o The club logo should be updated but colours need to remain the same o Suggest options to the membership for particular items e.g. bathers, shirts, hats etc. & ask members to choose whichever ones they prefer. Shane is happy to drive the implementation of the change Possibly ask whichever supplier if we can place orders directly through them. Current preference is to use Engine as the supplier Need to decide who is going to manage the ordering & managing of gear after that (ie gear steward). Liz Eustace currently fulfills this role. Once new uniform is decided on, any requests for changes or additions to the uniform will need to be approved by the board It was noted that most of the dissent expressed at the AGM about changing the competition uniform was from members who do not compete or wear the competition uniform. Shane Cleaver will develop a sample of uniform items to be considered by the competitors, using the current club colours. Options for the logo to be developed further.

2. Cleaning of the club - The Board is considering hiring professional contractors to clean the club - The Board thankfully acknowledged Ali Purton’s contribution to the club in her role as cleaner & willingness to volunteer for a number of roles when no-one else would. - Moving forward, our list of cleaning duties & protocols needs to be reviewed to ensure that all areas of the club receive attention in a timely manner. - Matt Potter to approach cleaning companies to determine if commercial cleaning is viable. 3. Licensee - the President will take on this role 4. Security & Access codes - need to re-visit who has access to our club - Consider whether code access should be limited to people who are 18 years or older & suitably qualified (bronze medallion holders) - Access would be available to younger bronze holders, but only when accompanied by an adult.


-

-

This is to protect them from possible unsupervised problems being blamed on them, and not training on their own (i.e buddy system) E.g. Carlton Park & Burnie surf clubs have much stricter access rules to their club Concern that club is not being treated with the respect it deserves Accident waiting to happen if unsupervised access is allowed Also, tightening of access encourages kids to train as a group rather than individually. Alternative suggestion that Bronze Medallion should be the criteria for code access & must train with a partner or training group Consider that the Board indicate our preference is over 18 for entrance to the club unless alternative arrangements have been made, based on their maturity to make correct decisions Our policy needs to reflect the obligation of the club to have a duty of care to look after our members Conflict over what age people have the maturity to make correct decisions Should establish guidelines rather than policies, to allow the Board to consider exceptions to these if the circumstance warrant. Preferred that access be allowed to bronze medallion holders & above & the club only be accessed for training purposes as pairs Mick to formulate policy on access , training, gear use & who they are accompanied by. Matt to include in Presidents message that changes may occur. Matt also to contact other clubs regarding their policies

5. Unfilled positions on Board - Clubhouse Director, Vice President, Life Saving Captain, 6. Kitchen/Hall hire pricing & rules/guidelines – discuss at next meeting 7. SLST Development Camp in January at Ulverstone SLSC - Going ahead as planned (first week in January) Meeting Closed: 9:15pm

Next Meeting: Tuesday September 13th 7pm

Ulverstone slsc minutes aug 2016  
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you