Page 1

Ulverstone Surf Life Saving Club

MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING Wednesday September 7th 2016 at 7.00pm Present: Matt Potter (chair), Jack Wood, Anthony Spinks, Colin Wood, Prue Mc Culloch Apologies: Mick Purton Motion that the Minutes from the last meeting be accepted Moved: Anthony Spinks Seconded: Colin Wood Carried Business arising from previous meetings minutes 1. Club colours survey - ongoing 2. Banjo’s sponsorship status – issuing of Banjo’s cards - Still no word on when card system will be implemented - Query whether it is it possible to begin a manual system to get the program started, since it is money that the club is missing out on. Decided this was unlikely since it would require Banjo’s to cooperate to set it up & they are the ones hindering the set up of the card system. - Check with Jenny Donnelly on progress - other clubs have access to Goodstone Membership card which gives discount dining Should we investigate whether they would support our club members in the same way (a benefit we could offer members)? Since our bar supplies are sourced from another supplier, Goodstone may not support our club 3. Modifications to the front door - No further progress at this stage. - Cost thought to be excessive for Perspex. It may be possible to use a different material that is more cost effective 4. Results of enquiry into Pool use - Liz Eustace has been asked to provide pool use statistics. - Hope to have these at the next meeting - Matt to email Liz to ask for list to be given to a board member 5. Pool takings being banked directly - Still not set up. Anthony to follow up & organise for Liz Eustace to have a deposit book to bank funds directly 6. Re-implementation of dots system on club craft - Mick Purton has investigated but hasn’t found suitable dots as yet


-

Concern that some members are using red dot craft (competition craft) for casual use. He will address this before season starts. - Problem that surf craft have not been updated on Surfguard since 2009. May cause problems with an insurance claim if a large fire or similar rendered them unrecognizable. Ask Mick if he organise for a gear check & update of Surfguard records to occur - We also need to investigate what needs to be entered for us to be covered by insurance 7. Tas Community Fund application - Graeme Rollins has submitted the application for the kitchen equipment (new oven & new dishwasher) 8. Club uniform progress - Would prefer that uniform ordering process was as automated as possible - Need to clarify role of address issue of how much work does the gear steward have to do. - We need to find out how much Engine is prepared to do to automate the delivery process 9. Club Cleaner - Paul Booth appointed as cleaner. Contract cleaners are way too expensive for the club to afford. Smaller operators were not available. Paul Booth offered his services. Would have preferred to keep the arrangement a commercial one, but no options were viable. Paul has begun cleaning on Mondays. Graham Barry & Paul to meet to discuss requirements of cleaning. List is being developed of requirements. Timesheet & list of tasks completed to be submitted before payment is made. It has been made clear that an acceptable standard of cleaning must be maintained. Presidents Report - Meeting in Campbell Town – Mick Purton to attend. - No real issues for our club to raise. Treasurers Report Bank Balance as 7 Sept 2016 Cheque A/C $ 9,666.32 Reserve A/C $ 5,014.12 Total $14,680.12 Banjo’s Sponsorship Received $2000 Have invoiced $1650 for quarterly payment Anthony Spinks – Treasurer


Discussion arising from Treasurers Report - Still have $14680 in bank - A few bi-annual expenses (etc. floor) will fall due in te near future - Matt Potter asked if there is anywhere we can save money - Reported that most money goes to the upstairs part of the club. Seems to consume all of our money. - Solar power would help the electricity bill – possibly purchase through a grant or a loan. Possibly ask Leigh Knowles for an opinion. Anthony to investigate numbers for implementing solar panels. - Initial Hygeine seems expensive - $2400 p.a. but no clear alternative available at the moment. - Pool hire may be able to be reduced after survey of recent usage is completed - Money from shower tolls hasn’t been collected or entered as yet Motion that the Treasurer’s Report be accepted Moved: Prue McCulloch Seconded: Jack Wood

Carried

Correspondence In: 16 August 2016 – Dept Treasury & Finance – notification of changes to Tasmanian liquor licensing laws. 18 August 2016 – JLT Insurance – SLSA Insurance renewal document 4 Sept 2016 - Pt Lonsdale SLSC – Offer for sale of Ford Ranger 4WD Out: 5 September - JLT Insurance – SLSA Insurance Renewal document sent back

Surf Sports Report - I have submitted an expression of interest for our club to host a senior & junior carnival in mid- January. Still awaiting notification from SLST - I have not replied to forgo the N.W. Marathon in October, but will do this by this Friday. - I am intending to complete a clean-up of the board and ski areas these holidays or before, as it is quite messy. - A date for all private craft in the club to be removed (unless IN or planning to be IN a club organised training group) should be the end of next month i.e. October 31st. That will give me a month to unload /offload excess unwanted craft from the club. - I will also advertise the old ski this week. Both can be done via club email/sms. - Run training has been going along well with more people joining in as weather has improved – Tuesday swim to cool off has seen a fluctuation in numbers with no reasons given.


-

-

-

Regular ski paddle sessions have been on Saturday mornings and Wednesday nights with a small group of merry men. Chris & Lara have started training on off nights. Charlene Best and I have had brief discussions re training for this year with more to come. The 4th race in the winter paddle series was held at Trevallyn Dam on Sunday with Jesse & me our only representatives. Will Cleaver had Father’s day duties & Mike Holland was unwell – Anthony was nowhere to be seen on the SUP! Jesse was only U18 to do the 20km paddle, while I managed 10km. We had planned to take the club Ute & trailer in partners with Port Sorell, but this didn’t eventuate with lack of numbers. I have had some preliminary discussion with a member of Port Sorell re their member joining our training – something we are happy to do. The remaining race of the series will be held at Lake Barrington in two weeks & we should have more competitors competing. Jesse heads to Coolangatta Gold early next month.

Mick Purton – Surf Sports Captain Discussion from Surf Sports Report - Directive of guidelines for training published in the last Presidents message has been received fairly well by competitors - Mick Purton still working on policy for allocating skis since we have a large contingent of new paddlers interested in beginning Boats - Matt has spoken with Luke Viney regarding boat crews & whether he will continue as boat captain. - Luke has new interests & no longer wants to fill the role of Boat Captain - Unlikely we will have a crew on the water this year. - Possibly ask a club from a winter sport to row the boat during summer - Possibly some dads that are involved with Nippers might be interested in rowing Junior Activities - Most age groups are now covered for coaches - Concerns raised that the Nipper break-up is too long after the season finishes. Aim for the break up to be on March 24th - Ask for expression of interest for coaches to make sure we are renewing our coaching stocks - Prue needs to be given Surfguard access so she can contact members etc. Lifesaving Report - Bronze Medallion & SRC candidates had their first information session


-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Development Camp will be at our club during the first week of January. Gear requirements are still to be decided, but the club will receive a list of what gear of ours will be used during the camp. Heather Bryer will be our first aid officer Training & Assessors are plentiful o Simon Eustace is conducting the training for Bronze Medallion o Jack Wood & Mike Holland are conducting SRC course o IRB course to be run later in the year by Jack & Nick Wood o Work books for Bronze & SRC candidates will be subsidized by the club, but candidates will need to pay a contribution. o Consult with Mike Holland to determine who is paying what. Outboard motors being pre-serviced by Lyndon ahead of the upcoming season $5000 grant from Government to be spent by the life saving committee VMR (Volunteer Marine Rescue) amalgamation likely to proceed in the near future o VMR are struggling to continue without amalgamation with our club o We may be able to begin conducting MAST license courses & jetski courses if amalgamation occurs SAREX is on this weekend at St Helens. Some of our members are attending. Our IRB is being used & the club 4WD will tow the Jetboat to St Helens A new 4WD vehicle policy – draft tabled at meeting Patrol uniforms o 21 new uniforms allocated to us by SLST o We need a further $1300 to give new uniforms to all our newly qualified patrol members o Club will need to commit $415 to the purchase of new uniforms to ensure our key people are in the latest uniform o Resolved to spend $414.15 on required uniforms North West Life Saving Committee has not been as prominent in recent times. Some members have expressed interest in returning to individual club activity for training, rather than the collaborative approach. Our club is in favour of keeping the current model where clubs collaborate with training & assessment. School break-ups o Need to organize life guards o Need guidelines for schools for what they can (and cant) use from our club when school break-up picnics are being held on Buttons Beach o Need to set up website for enquiries so that we are receiving the initial contact, rather than it going to SLST as it did last year. o Last year saw some problems with the beach being double booked & not enough lifeguards being assigned


-

o Jack Wood to find out about available life guards Keeping gear shed tidy. Reminder to be issued to all club members to ensure they leave the club in a tidy state after their training sessions Development camp has only been booked as a venue – no gear commitment at this stage

Building - no discussion Clubhouse Director - the role is still unfilled, although Graham Barry is overseeing bookings of the club facilities Bar Committee - bar meeting cancelled Workplace Health & Safety - Any maintenance/improvement issues? General Business 1. Drinks for Binni’s induction into Hall of Fame/ Season Launch - Possible date for launch of Banjo’s card? - Will be held on Friday October 7? - Check with Binni that he is available? - Ask Jenny Donnelly to see if Banjos would contribute to our launch 2. Counter Teas & Sunday Breakfast plan - Vanessa (chef from last season)has her own business now & will not be able to supervise counter meals this year. She may know someone who can fill the role - Matt to ask her & other people about other options - Prue knows someone who may be interested - Check whether previous Sunday Breakfast crew is interested in hosting Sunday breakfasts again this January 3. Social Media - Suggested that we try to fill the role of Club media officer - need to establish guidelines for use of club social media so that all posts are in keeping with our club culture 4. Mission Statement & Values, and other documents, on website - To be discussed at the next meeting 5. Surfguard access - Colin Wood to tidy up Surfguard access


6. CafĂŠ proposal being prepared by a lady who enquired whether the club would consider allowing her to use the clubrooms as a CafĂŠ. Our initial response was that such a proposal was unlikely to be agreed to, however, she still expressed interest in preparing a proposal to submit for consideration by the Board. Meeting closed 9:25pm

Next Meeting: Tuesday October 11 7pm

Ulverstone slsc meeting minutes sept 7 2016  
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you