The West Window
John Hardman’s work can be seen in the West (Baptistery) Window. Like Michael O’Connor he was heavily influenced by architects and designers, A.W.N. Pugin and William Butterfield. Here he uses brownish reds and grey blues in stark contrast to the O’Connors use of scarlet and royal blue.
The window depicts several ‘Saints and Angels’, some of which can be identified:
The Archangel Michael, with the ‘dragon’, St. John the Evangelist, with the chalice, St. Peter, with his keys, King David, with his harp, The Archangel Raphael, with Tobias’s fish, St. Katherine, with her wheel
Can you name any others ?
John Hardman and Co., was founded in 1838 to produce metalwork for the growing number of ‘Gothic Revival’ buildings being erected. A.W.N. Pugin who campaigned for the revival of the true medieval style persuaded the company to embrace the manufacture of stained glass. Butterfield dominated the design studio. John Hardman Powell, John Hardman’s nephew, worked on the new Place of Westminster (The House of Parliament). They worked mainly in a C13th medium and created vigorous and accomplished work.
The Priest (bottom row, first panel from the left - foreground) is possibly Frances Woodyer’s brother, Revd Thomas Bowles, curate of Milton at the time, and bears a striking resemblance to the priest celebrating High Mass in her memorial window in the South Aisle; and Revd Samuel Bowles, Rector of Beaconsfield – there seems to be a family likeness.
The Bishop (bottom row, second panel from the left - foreground) is possibly ‘Soapy Sam’ – Rt. Revd Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford (1845 – 1870)
One of the Kings (bottom row, second panel from the right) could be St. Edward the Confessor, patron of England (before St. George), or Melchizedek (Hebrews Chap. 7 verse 1).
Published on Jun 18, 2011