G322B – Institutions and Audiences The question is always set out as follows: Answer the question below, making detailed reference to examples from your case study material to support the points made in your answer. 1) Question (sometimes includes a statement, followed by ‘Discuss…’ or ‘To what extent…’). Candidates must choose to focus on one of the following media areas, though you may make reference to other media where relevant to your answer. Film Music Newspapers Radio Magazines Video games
3. the technologies that have been introduced in recent years at the levels of
1. the issues raised by media ownership in contemporary media practice; 2. the importance of cross media convergence and synergy in production,
Areas you may be asked to write about:
distribution and marketing;
production, distribution, marketing and exchange;
4. the significance of proliferation in hardware and content for institutions and audiences;
5. the importance of technological convergence for institutions and audiences; 6. the issues raised in the targeting of national and local audiences (specifically, British) by international or global institutions;
7. the ways in which the candidates’ own experiences of media consumption illustrate wider patterns and trends of audience behaviour.
1. (Exam Board Specimen Paper) Discuss the issues raised by an institution’s need to target specific audiences within a media industry which you have studied.
2. (09Jan) Discuss the ways in which media products are produced and distributed to audiences within a media area which you have studied.
3. (09Jun) Discuss the significance of technological convergence for the media industry you have studied
4. (10Jan) “Media production is dominated by global institutions, which sell their products and services to national audiences.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
5. (10Jun) What significance does the continuing development of digital media technology have for media institutions and audiences?
6. (11Jan) Discuss the issues raised by media ownership in the production and exchange of media texts in your chosen media area.