Issuu on Google+

North Red Deer: A Century of Change Prepared by Village of North Red Deer 2011 Centennial Committee


C & E Railway 1892 (CPR)

First Nations campsite beside the Red Deer River and Calgary and Edmonton Railway Company (C & E) Railway Bridge. In 1891 the Canadian Pacific Railway Company (CPR) negotiated with the C&E to lease and use the train bridge and track. Image courtesy of Provincial Archives of Alberta / Ernest Brown Fonds.


First Wooden Traffic 1894

This was the first bridge linking north and south Red Deer. The North West Territories Government contracted two brothers, David and Roderick McKenzie to construct the bridge. Nearly 500 ft. in length, it cost $3,600. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


The Village of North Red Deer, c. 1908

The Mill Pond, at the lower bottom of the map, was built by the Great West Saw Mil in 1906. In the late 1930s the Mill Pond was used as a swimming hole. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Blue Ribbon Store, c. 1908

Mr. Martin built this store in 1905. In 1908 Charles Snell and a member of the Gaetz family purchased the store. In 1922 they sold it to Percy Jarvis who then added three gas pumps. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Bawtinheimer / Great West Lumber Saw Mill, c. 1905

In 1905, G.H. Bawtinheimer & Sons constructed this saw mill in North Red Deer. In 1906, the mill was purchased by the Great West Lumber Company who operated it until 1916. In the early 19th Century, Great West Lumber Company workers were paid 17 cents for a ten hour working day. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


G. H. Bawtinheimer & Sons Lumber Yard, c. 1905

When the Bawtinheimer’s new mill started production in June 1905 it produced between 25,000 and 40,000 feet of lumber per day. The lumber yard was located at the bottom of Pines Hill. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Log Drive on Red Deer River, c.1912

Logs being transported from James River along the Red Deer River to the Great West Lumber Company mill in Red Deer. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Great West Lumber Mill, 1914

In the 1910’s, nearly 100 men were employed at the mill. Another two camps each employed nearly 120 men cutting timber along the Red Deer River. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Valley Ranch , Log Raceway, Mill & Quarry, c. 1908

In 1885, Walter Reade established the Valley Ranch (top left of image). In 1889 he sold the farm to the Wilkins Brothers. Around 1919, the farm was purchased by the newly established Red Deer Golf and Country Club. (The Reinholdt Quarry is visible in the top right of the image.) Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Stone House on 57 Ave & 58A St., c. 1920

Emile Petterson Cronquist purchased the house and then sold it to Albert Donnelly in 1918. The Donnelly family lived in the house until 1933. The house has since been demolished. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


North Red Deer School, 1912

Artists rendering of the North Red Deer School in 1912. Drawing courtesy of Shane Young.


Father Henri Voisin, 1904

Father Voisin of the Tinchebray Priests supervised the construction of St. Joseph’s Convent, St. Mary’s Apostolic College and the development of the Mission. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds


Road to Tinchebray Presbytery c. 1908

Buildings left to right: Moreau residence, La Boche residence, St. Joseph’s Convent. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


St. Joseph’s Convent, 1910

Buildings on hill left to right: Laboche Residence, St. Mary’s Apostolic College, St. Joseph’s Convent. Foreground left to right: Moreau Family House, C&E rail siding buildings. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


St. Joseph’s Convent, 1912

Early architectural drawing. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Building St. Mary's Apostolic College. c. 1913-1914

The College was located beside St. Joseph’s Convent. It was a training college for men wanting to enter the priesthood. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


St. Mary’s Apostolic College, 1914

The College was part of St. Joseph’s Mission and was located next to St. Joseph’s Convent. The College was a training college (seminary) for priests. In 1924 it was purchased by the Daughters of Wisdom and converted into a boarding school. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds


View from McGregor Hill, Howarth St. , 1912

St. Joseph’s Convent is visible on the top left of the image. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Building CNR Track, 1909

Laying Canadian National Railway (CNR) rail lines at the base of Pines Hill. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives/ North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Coal Train on CNR Tracks, 1912

Coal being transported to Red Deer from the Brazeau coal fields west of Red Deer. Train is close to the 67th Street bridge Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


The Red Deer Golf Club, c. 1922

The original golf club house was built on the Wilkins Brothers’ Valley Ranch lands. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Trimble Signs & Radio Repair, c. 1920s

Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Train On CPR Bridge Provides Ballast, 1943

The train was used as ballast to prevent the ice jam from destroying the bridge. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Ice Jam, c. 1940’s

Going onto the CPR bridge to watch the ice jams was a popular activity. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / George Fleming Fonds.


Molly’s Coffee Bar, c. 1940s

Molly Herbert operated the coffee shop from 1938 to the early 1950s. It was located on the corner of 54 Ave & 60th St. After Molly sold the building a number of different businesses occupied it until the current 7-11 purchased the property. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Cub Dance Hall, c. 1941

The Cub Dance Hall, which was built by Willard Trimble in 1943, was located beside Molly’s Coffee Shop on 54 Ave between 59 and 60 St. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Village of North Red Deer Municipal Office, 1945

A Sunday school group standing in front of the Municipal Office for the Village of North Red Deer which was located at the corner of the Boulevard (58th St.) and Balsam Street (52nd Ave). Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Official Opening of the New Red Deer Traffic Bridge, 1947

Mayor Green, Village of North Red Deer and Mayor Halliday, Mayor of the City of Red Deer opening the new Calgary – Edmonton Highway (Gaetz Ave) Bridge in December 1947. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Daughters of Wisdom at St. Joseph’s Convent, 1948

Sisters of the Dauaghters of Wisdom in front of St. Joseph’s Convent in 1948. Left to Right – Back Row: Sr. Marie Aimée de Jèsus, M. Alex, Paul-M, Julie, Alfred, Zunne, M. Cyrille, St. Adèle. Front Row: Sr. Adrien, M due Bon P, Année de St. Louise, Jacques de Nisibe, Rosalie Barbara, Gabrielle de l’End, ?, Helen of the R. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


North Hill Store, 1945

Philip Seibel built the North Hill Store in 1945. A corner store has continued to operate from the building for the past 65 years. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Rifle Range Below Pines Hill, c. 1940s

The rifle range was originally constructed for the military. It was subsequently used until the 1950s by the RCMP and the Red Deer Rifle Club. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Card’s Mill Pond, c. 1940s

Left to right: Jean Smethurst, Robert Kerr, Gordon Smethurst, George Kerr, Don Smethurst. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Arb Rink, c. 1940s

In 1940, Bill Arb built the first outdoor community skating rink on his property. Water had to be carried from the well and put into a wooden sleigh he had fitted out with a gas barrel and a pipe with holes. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Lions Campground in Flood 1943

Best Family residence. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Sims Auction Mart & Off Site Sales, 1949

Left to right: R Keith Sims, J.V. Bettenson, Alec Sim 1949. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Fairview School, c. 1964

The school, which was designed by Douglas Cardinal was opened in 1964. Image courtesy of Red Deer Public School Board / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Cronquist House Being Moved to New Location, 1976

On March 26, 1976, the Red Deer International Folk Festival, organized the move of the Cronquist House from its original location to Bower Ponds. Image courtesy of Red Deer Public School Board / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Demolition of the First St. Joseph’s Convent, 1978

Following the opening of the new Convent in 1978, the first Convent was demolished. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


G.H. Dawe Community Centre, 1980

Image courtesy of Red Deer Public School Board / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Dawe Pool Opening, 1980

Don Moore making a splash at the opening of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre. Image courtesy of red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Hannigan’s Fast Food Drive-Thru, c. 1950s

This was the first drive-thru in Red Deer. Image courtesy of red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Early Advertisement for Hannigan's Fast Food Drive-Thru.

The advertisement was placed in the Red Deer Advocate in the 1950s. Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds


Rio Vista Garage

Aerial view. Image courtesy of Red Deer Public School Board / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Valley Park Manor, 1970

Official opening of Valley Park Manor, 1970. Image courtesy of Red Deer Public School Board / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Community Fonds.


Albert Donnelly & Mayor Bob McGhee at North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Celebrations

Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Committee Fonds.


North Red Deer Cottage School, 1989

Image courtesy of Harlan Hulleman.


CPR Bridge, c. 1980s

Image courtesy of Red Deer & District Archives / North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Committee Fonds.


For More Information •

North Red Deer 75th Anniversary Committee of the Northside Community Association, Red Deer publications: – The Little Village That Grew: A History of North Red Deer, 1987. – Also available on line at: http://www.ourroots.ca/index.aspx – North Red Deer: Historical Walking Tour, 1992.

Riverside Meadows Community Association: – riversidemeadows100@gmail.com


VNRD Cetennial Website presentation.pdf