Temple of the Initial Series (5C4), 5C2 and 5C11 Ruppert 1952:Figs. 85, 83, 92
The small courtyard group formed by structure 5C6, the Temple of the Little Heads (5C3), and the Temple of the Owls (5C7) yields agonizingly small amounts of architectural detail and sculpture. The Temple of the Little Heads is a small single room structure opening to the south. Vaillantâ€™s excavations revealed that double vaults had been supported by large atlantean columns, while portions of smaller atlantean figures were found in the debris, as well as stone slabs from a tabletop altar or bench (Ruppert 1952:157-162). Outside, the facade rises with a basal batter, and the jamb stones are long and beveled. A sculptural band in the upper facade was probably decorated with a frieze of birds and bats (Ruppert 1952:119). Ruppert reported that the Temple of the Little Heads is constructed on â€œan independent terrace rising from that of the Initial Series Groupâ€? (1952:119), which suggests that, like the House of the Phalli, it too predates the present courtyard level.
Temple of the Little Heads (5C3) Ruppert 1952:Fig. 84
The position of this structure in the relative sequence is problematic. The large atlantean columns used for vault support in the Temple of the Little Heads are less massive than the atlantean columns in structure 5C15 or in the Temple of the Interior Atlantean Columns (3C6), and the sashes which fall from the waists of the figures are pulled aside to reveal