Page 1

Irving Archives, Irving Public Library


Images from the O. D. and Estelle Bates Collection O. D. and Estelle Bates came to Irving during the late 1960s. Motivated by their own interest in local history, they began collecting photos and conducting recorded interviews documenting the history of the Irving area. In 1976, as a Bicentennial project, they headed a group of volunteers who surveyed the local cemeteries. The couple was later instrumental in helping form the Irving Heritage Society. The photos in this collection were gathered by the Bates from ancestors of Irving area pioneer families. Many of the photos were later used in a book about Irving's history entitled Irving: A Texas Odyssey.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-1 Date of photograph: 1947 Description: Bank officer Bill Gilbert greeting first customer, Albert Farine, at new Irving State Bank building, 1947. Irving State Bank began as The Merchants and Planters Bank in 1906. In 1907, the Miller brothers took over the bank and chartered it as Irving State Bank in 1908. The bank was located in a two-story brick building from 1911 until 1947. In 1947, a new building was constructed across the street from the original. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-2 Date of photograph: n.d. Description: The Gilbert home stood from 1882 until 1955 in the area of the Plymouth Park Shopping Center, at the corner of Story and Grauwyler roads. D. W. Gilbert was one of the areas' first doctors. In addition to his medical practice, D. W. Gilbert also operated a dairy, a 1,500acre farm north of his home, and owned farms in Euless, Shady Grove and Bear Creek. Information on original photograph: 4" X 3", sepia.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-4 Date of photograph: c. 1902 Description: Members of the survey crew that came to north Texas in 1902 to survey a line for the Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway between Dallas and Fort Worth. Two crew members, J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown, remained behind and founded the town of Irving in 1903. C. P. Schulze, brother of J. O. Schulze, is on the far left. Information on original photograph: 5" X 2 1/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-10 Date of photograph: c. 1915

Description: The Irving train depot. Completed in 1903, the Chicago Rock Island & Gulf train depot was one of only two buildings standing on the day the town of Irving was established on Dec. 19, 1903. Information on original photograph: 4 3/4" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-11 Date of photograph: c. 1912 Description: Alice Howard Lucas at the Howard home on 318 Iowa (now O'Connor Road). The house was built by J. B. Howard in 1905. His daughter, Alice Howard, married local merchant W. D. (Doug) Lucas. Information on original photograph: 4 1/4" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-12 Date of photograph: c. 1905 Description: J. B. Howard home built in 1904 at 318 S. O'Connor. J. B. Howard came to Irving in 1904 to work for town cofounder J. O. Schulze at Irving Lumber Co. The house has been restored and still stands (2008). Information on original photograph: 4 1/4" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-13 Date of photograph: c. 1907 Description: W. D. Lucas home, 127 S. Hastings, built in 1907. W. D. Lucas came to Irving and opened a dry goods store in 1906. He married Alice Howard and the couple moved into this house where they raised three children. Information on original photograph: 4" X 3 1/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-14 Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: Early Irvingites on the banks of the Trinity River. The town of Irving was founded between the Elm Fork and the West Fork of the Trinity River in 1903. Information on original photograph: 4 1/4" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-15 Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: First St. Luke's Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the southeast corner of Second and Jefferson streets, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion Colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford and Boinard. Prior to 1904, masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-16 Date of photograph: c. 1912 Description: Otis Brown and J. O. Schulze (driver) with Fred Joffre in Schulze's automobile. In the background is Otis Brown's home at 327 S. O'Connor, which was built in 1905. Information on original photograph: 5" by 3½ , black and white.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-18

Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: This two-story schoolhouse constructed in 1905 stood at the southwest corner of Second and Delaware streets. There was no running water, and students drank from a bucket using a "community dipper." Formerly part of the Lively Common School District, this building became the first building of the Irving Independent School District when the district was established in 1909. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-20 Date of photograph: c. 1950s

Description: Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned down in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony, and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-21 Date of photograph: c. 1929 Description: Howard, Lorene, and Ray Lucas in front of Lorene's first car, a Model A Ford, 1929. In background is the family's home at 221 S. Jefferson. The car was baby blue with yellow trim on the wheels, and Lorene had a matching dress. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-25 Date of photograph: c. 1918 Description: Pierce's Grocery Store was located in the 100 block of N. Main Street. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-26 Date of photograph: c. 1905 Description: Miss Hicks' Millinery and Lucas and Joffre store, exterior. These two early Irving businesses were located in the 100 block of S. Main Street. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-27 Date of photograph: c. 1905 Description: Miss Hicks' Millinery was one of Irving's early businesses. Her store was located in the 100 block of S. Main Street. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-28 Date of photograph: 1908 Description: Trinity River flood of 1908, in which the Trinity attained a depth of 52.6 feet and was two miles wide in places. Eleven died, and over 4,000 people in the Dallas area were forced to abandon their homes.

Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-30 Date of photograph: 1894 Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry "Ike" Story sits in front of the post office and general store he operated in the community of Kit. In 1903, Irving was established about one mile west of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an "eye" instead of an "i." People in photo: Nancy Story, Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney, Opal Elizabeth Kenny and Sallie Jane Story Bell. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-31 Date of photograph: 1906 Description: Elm School student body. Located at the corner of Metker Street and Toler Lane, the Elm School began when four local families needed a school for their children. Much later, Albert Farine Elementary was built across the street from the Elm School. People in photo: Top Row: Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll Second from Top Row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler Third from Top Row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll Bottom Row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Ray Bailey, and Bertha Farine

Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-32 Date of photograph: 1906 Description: The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. People in photo: Top Row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, ~ Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor and Charlie Wilson. Middle Row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore and Alice Lusk. Bottom Row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W. B. "Bill" Gilbert (holding catcher's mitt).

Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-33 Date of photograph: c. 1912 Description: R. M. Hudson home. R. M. Hudson was the publisher of Irving's first newspaper the Irving Index. The Irving Index print shop can be seen at back left side of the house. The home is located at Jefferson and Fourth streets. Tom Hudson, son of R. M. Hudson, stands at the fence. The Hudson family lived in Irving from 1908 to 1915. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-34 Date of photograph: c. 1908 Description: R. M. Hudson, daughter Veda Hudson, and wife Mary Hudson in front of their house on Fourth Street. R. M. was the publisher of Irving's first newspaper the Irving Index. The first edition was distributed to the crowd on the day of the lot auction that launched the town in 1903. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-35 Date of photograph: c. 1909. Description: The Irving Index newspaper workshop and Hudson family: R. M. Hudson, Robert M. Hudson, Andrew L. Hudson, and Thomas Hudson. Mr. Hudson distributed the first issue of the Irving Index at a barbeque and lot auction held on Dec. 19, 1903 that launched the town of Irving. Hudson referred to Irving as: "The New Rock Island Town in the forks of the Trinity River," "The fruit belt of Dallas County; Trade are 52 square miles", "Irving, the choicest nook in the Garden of the Lord," and sometimes as "stump city." Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-36 Date of photograph: 1910 Description: Joe and Essie Keeling's wedding photo. Essie Jones Keeling was born in what today is south Irving in 1893. She married Joe Keeling in 1910. The couple raised three children and made their home in the Irving area. Essie died in 1986. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-37 Date of photograph: c. 1914 Description: Essie Jones Keeling was born in 1893. Her family owned a truck farm about two miles south of the town of Irving which was established in 1903. In this photo are Joe Keeling and Essie Keeling, and two of their children, Helen and Weldon. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-38 Date of photograph: c. 1933 Description: Helen Keeling Sale was the daughter of Essie and Joe Keeling, who were early Irvingites. Helen was born in 1911. She married Robert Sale in 1933. The couple made their home in Irving. Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-39 Date of photograph: c. 1917 Description: Irvingites pose in two vehicles.

People in photo: C. P. Schulze and Virginia Tucker Schulze in the Hupmobile in the foreground, along with May Williamson and Joe Williamson (on car). Others in the photograph are T. G. Robinson, Edna Robinson, J. H. Williamson, Mae Williamson, Ward Robinson and Mrs. Marsh. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-41 Date of photograph: c. 1932 Description: Leaders of the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association worked to gain better roads for the area and was the forerunner of the local Chamber of Commerce. People in the photo, l to r: Lewis Hancock, Francis Gilbert Jr. (small boy), Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr., W. B. "Bill" Gilbert, Frank Haley, C. P. Caldwell, W. P. Gandy, T. A. Jasper, R. E. Fulton, James Popplewell, Albert Farine, J. E. Van Horn, R. J. "Leo" Byrd, and Bob Stewart.

Information on original photograph: 5" X 3 1/2", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-45 Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold 80 acres to J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving town site. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry Rd. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. People in the photo: Dave, Lee, Eunice and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection

Information on original photo: 3 3/4 x 4 3/4, b&w.


Collection #: 7-46 Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: This cotton gin was located at the intersection of Irving Boulevard and Britain Rd. It was dismantled about 1916. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-47 Date of photograph: 1922 Description: The Irving High School girls basketball team, 1922. L to R: Mae Mitchell, Exie Cunningham, Delma Crowe, Wilma Harkey, unknown, and Lillian Embree. The three story brick school building can be seen in the background. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-48 Date of photograph: 1911 Description: In 1911, Huber C. Smith purchased Union Bower’s first vehicle, a touring car for $300. People in car: Huber Calvin Smith, Mary N. Owen Smith, Laura and Lena Mae Smith. Information on original photograph: 5 X 3 1/2, b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-49 Date of photograph: c. 1912. Description: Lucas family: Howard Lucas, Ray Lucas, father Doug Lucas, and Lorene Lucas. Doug Lucas came to Irving in 1906 and opened a general store. He operated the store until his death in 1931. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-50 Date of photograph: c. 1933 Description: Irving School third grade class, teacher Mrs. White. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-51 Date of photograph: c. 1906 Description: Story Feed Store owned by Early Story. Before the days of the automobile, Irving residents gathered at the store to swap stories, discuss farming and the weather. Early Story rented horses and buggies and sold feed. The stable was located on Irving Blvd. In 1917, Story sold the stable to Frank Mosher, who turned it into an automobile repair garage. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-52 Date of photograph: c. 1906 Description: Dr. John Haley and Anna Good Haley married in 1906.

Dr. Haley was one of the first physicians in the Irving area. The couple built a home at Ohio and Second streets. Dr. Haley served as Irving's mayor in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-54 Date of photograph: March 1911 Description: Tom Haley home, built 1909. The home was located on the northeast corner of Ohio and Second streets. In the yard on left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and on right is Bertha Haley (Gleghorn). Tom Haley was the son of William Haley who settled in the area in 1957. Tom had a farm north of town, but built this house in town so his children would be close to the school. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-55 Date of photograph: 1926 Description: Annie Lee Pierce with granddaughter Doris Jean Taylor, son Grover Pierce and daughter Annie (later Mrs. Buck Mitchell) at the Pierce home on Second and Ohio streets. This house previously belonged to Tom Haley who had it built in 1909. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-56 Date of photograph: c. 1904 Description: W. L. Smith and Co., one of Irving's earliest businesses, was located in the 100 block of N. Main Street. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-57 Date of photograph: c. 1912 Description: Main Street, Irving, Texas. Looking north from about Second Street toward the depot which straddles Main Street.

Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-58 Date of photograph: c. 1906 Description: Robinson's Drug Store at northeast corner of Main Street and First Street (Irving Blvd.). Constructed in 1906, this was Irving's first brick building. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-59 Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: Members of the Lucas family came to Irving in its earliest years. Two of the brothers, Doug and Charlie opened general stores in the town. Etta married one of Irving's early physicians. He died young, and Etta and her mother ran a boarding house for many years afterward. Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas; Henry Lucas; Doug Lucas; Charlie Lucas; Jack Lucas; and Etta Williams Roberts.

Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-60 Date of photograph: 1916 Description: Irving High School graduating class, 1916. Left row front to back: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Middle row front to back: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Right row front to back: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, Roy Miller. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-61

Date of photograph: 1924 Description: Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row, L to R: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row, L to R: Marshall "Bobby" Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain and W. S. Fields with water boy John Steele. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-62 Date of photograph: c. 1916 Description: Dr. John Roberts and Etta Roberts in buggy. Dr. John Roberts was born in 1883. He graduated from Fort Worth Medical University in 1910. He practiced medicine in Irving with his step father Dr. D. W. Gilbert until his untimely death in 1918. Etta Williams Roberts was born in 1885 in the Sowers community. She married John Roberts in 1910. The couple had three sons. After her husband's death in 1918, she operated a boarding house in Irving for many years. She died in 1960. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-63 Date of photograph: c. 1918 Description: Mrs. Pierce poses with passengers next to her jitney. During the first two decades of the 20th century, several Irving residents operated jitney services to transport locals from Irving to Dallas and back. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-64 Date of photograph: c. 1918 Description: Pierce Jitney service. Before 1912, everyone went to Dallas by train, but with the advent of the automobile, jitney services in Irving provided transport to Dallas every other hour along Singleton Blvd. A trip to Dallas cost 25 cents. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-65 Date of photograph: c. 1920

Description: Doug Lucas' store. Doug Lucas came to Irving in 1906 and opened a general merchandise store on Main Street. In 1920, he moved his store to this brick building on the northwest corner of Main and Second streets. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-66

Date of photograph: c. 1913 Description: The Doug Lucas family with their fringed surrey. Alice Lucas is in the back seat with Howard. Doug Lucas is holding Lorene. The Lucases were some of Irving's first residents. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-67 Date of photograph: 1914 Description: The Irving school student body gathered at the water tower in center of the intersection of Main and First (Irving Blvd.). Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-68 Date of photograph: 1959

Description: "Old Red" school building, built in 1913, being torn down in 1959. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-69 Date of photograph: 1912 Description: Howard and Lorene Lucas children of Doug Lucas, an early Irving merchant. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-70 Date of photograph: c. 1918 Description: Howard and Ray Lucas in family's Model T Ford truck. The Lucas family were some of Irving's earliest residents. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-71 Date of photograph: unknown. Description: Mary Elizabeth Frakis Story and Perry Hezekiah "Kiah" Story. The Storys were some of the first settlers in the area, arriving here in the late 1850s. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-73 Date of photograph: 1904-1905. Description: Hezekiah Story family. The Story family were early settlers in what would become the Irving area; arriving here in the late 1850s. Names listed in the description are in no particular order: Sue Story, Harvey Bowman Story, Perry Hezekiah "Kiah" Story, George Williams, Effie Story Williams, Lizzie Story Terry, Mary Elizabeth Frakis Story, Sam Ewalt, Washtella Ewalt, Katie Perry, Alex Story, Bertha Story, Pearl Story Kirkpatrick, Mary Story Williams, Charlie Ewalt, Alonzo Story, Tommie Ewalt, Effie Terry.

Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-74 Date of photograph: 1911 Description: Lloyd Smith and friend at a picnic in the Union Bower community. Union Bower was a farm community that was first settled in the 1870s. Later it would become part of today's eastern Irving. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-75 Date of photograph: c. 1907 Description: Congregation in front of Hawk's Chapel Methodist Church in the Union Bower community. In the 1930s, the name was changed to the Union Bower Methodist Church. During the 1950s, the Union Bower community was annexed by the city of Irving. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-77 Date of photograph: 1907 Description: Musical group that played for Union Bower square dances. Dances were held in the fall and winter because it was too hot in the summer.

The players are area residents: Tom Owens, Earle Steele, Lillie Owens and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not pictured here. Settlers first came to the Union Bower area in the 1870s. The area became part of eastern Irving when the city annexed it during the 1950s.

Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w. Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-78 Date of photograph: 1906 Description: William Smith, a pioneer to the area, built this home in the Union Bower community in 1888. Later his son Lloyd owned the house. The house stood until the 1980s.

Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-79 Date of photograph: c. 1906 Description: The William Smith home was built in 1888 in the Union Bower community. The house stood until the 1980s. The city of Irving annexed the Union Bower area in the 1950s.

Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-80 Date of photograph: c. 1910 Description: Irvingite Earl Steele delivering the mail in a horse drawn buggy. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-81 Date of photograph: 1919 Description: Interior of W. D. Lucas's store at Main and Second streets. Behind the counter are Doug Lucas and his wife Alice. Doug Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until his death in 1931. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection Collection #: 7-82a Date of photograph: c. 1906 Description: Jerry and Della Story. Jerry Story served as a temporary post master, when the post office moved from the store in the Kit community to Irving in 1904. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-83 Date of photograph: c. 1906 Description: Irving Depot. The Irving depot was one of two buildings constructed on the day of the lot auction that established the town of Irving in December 1903. This depot stood at the north end of Main Street until 1967. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-86 Date of photograph: c. 1920s Description: Parking in front of downtown Irving stores. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-87 Date of photograph: 1936 Description: Irving School PTA officers of 1936. Back Row, l to r: Mrs. A. C. Colton, Elsie Kirkpatrick, School Superintendent A. S. Johnston, Mary Johnston, Esther Hurwitz. Front Row, l to r: Clara Broach, Millie Anna Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Pearl Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection


Collection #: 7-90

Date of photograph: c. 1900 Description: Shelton Story home on East 6th Street. The Story house is typical of the farm houses in the Irving area in the early 20th century. People in the photo in no particular order: Diona Luna Story, Shelton A. Story, Martin Story, Samuel J. Story, Annie B. Story, Isaac B. Story, Ada G. P. Story, and Russel H. Story. Information on original photograph: 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", b&w.

Collection: The Estelle Bates Collection

O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection  

The O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection features photographs from Irving's earliest days through the 1930s, focusing on Main Street businesses...