Page 1

Holmesglen Community & Industry Short Courses

Certificate IV in Building & Construction (Building) FAST TRACKED Builders Registration Course

This course has been structured to support an application to become a Registered Building Practitioner (RBP), for people who want to apply their skills and knowledge to manage residential and low rise building projects. 2

Welcome to Holmesglen Short Courses Holmesglen is widely regarded as a leader in education and training services in Victoria and offers many benefits to your studies, with excellent campus facilities, comprehensive resources, student support and industry relevant training, conducted by experienced trainers. We thank you for expressing an interest in studying at Holmesglen and we look forward to helping you gain a nationally accredited qualification to further develop your career in the building industry.


Course Information Course Overview

Course Description

This qualification has been tailored specifically to develop the applicant’s knowledge and ability to obtain a Builder’s License.

This fast-tracked qualification is the perfect course that will reward all of your work experience with a formal qualification, designed to assist you to apply for a builder’s license. Throughout your studies you will learn how to create a business management plan, which will be used when applying to the Building Practitioners Board for registration.

Course features: • Our trainers are experienced industry professionals, with building management, surveying, and registered building experience • We cover the legal compliance of building, contract management, technical issues and management practices, being the skills necessary to manage a building business. • Our continued association with the Building Commission, MBA and HIA ensures our program remains current and relevant. Please read all information prior to enrolling and ensure all relevant forms are completed. Holmesglen recommends that all prospective students telephone the Building Commission on 1300 815 127 to obtain further information about the registration process.

Prerequisites to enrol This course is recommended for people with: • Experience in the domestic building industry • Basic computer skills on Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel • A good command of the English language, both written and verbal. If you have any questions regarding this course or the enrolment process please call the Short Courses department on (03) 9564 1546.


This qualification is designed to meet the needs of builders and project managers of small to medium sized building businesses. A builder is the person who coordinates the construction of a building, taking responsibility for the overall completion of the job, including selecting contractors, overseeing the work and its quality, and liaising with the client. A builder has the legal obligation to be registered and offer a warranty under State Government laws, which is regulated by the Building Commission in Victoria. In order to meet the criteria for eligibility for registration, the following areas of study are covered so that students are prepared to apply the following skills when managing a building and construction work activities, which include: • Finance management • Legal compliance and building Law • Construction technical compliance – NCC (National Construction Code) and relevant Australian Standard • Estimating • Project Management: Planning and scheduling • Building management and Contract administration

After successful completion, students will be able to provide skilled assistance to builders and construction managers contributing to the contractual management of low-rise management of low-rise residential building projects.

Qualifications and Recognition Upon successful completion, students are eligible for the Certificate IV in Building & Construction (Building). This qualification is nationally recognised in accordance with the Australian Qualification Framework and is supported by the Building Practitioners Board (BPB).

Career Opportunities • Building Supervisor, • Construction Manager, • Registered Builder (meeting the assessment criteria of the Building Practitioners Board)


How to become a registered builder? During the course, students will produce a folio of evidence after completing course assignments and projects, which they can present to the Building Practitioners Board (BPB) assessor at the interview. See list of evidence below: A business plan, which will outline: • Financial Management Plan - covering • Accounting – day to day business operations • Profit and Loss; Balance Sheets • Cash Flow Management • Debt Management • Profit forecasts and business expansion opportunity planning. • Estimating – Cost estimation and reading plans to produce accurate estimates for cost control, and profit forecast. • Contract Administration • Contractual obligations under state and Federal laws • How to properly complete a contract and understanding your rights and contractual remedies • Rights to charging extra’s, your contract entitlements. • Manage OH&S – Risk Management • Risk Control Plans and Safe Work Method Statement • Site Induction • OHS Compliance


• Construction Management • Construction schedules – managing building projects • Managing trade and suppliers to meet construction timelines • Quality Control – creation of checklist for compliance to codes In line with the requirements of the Building Practitioners Board (BPB), this course is recognised by the BPB as an equivalent qualification for registration as a Domestic Builder. To become a Registered Builder, the (BPB) in Victoria requires individuals to: • Demonstrate that they hold the appropriate qualification • Ensure that they have relevant practical experience • Have the appropriate years of experience • Be of good character • Undertake an assessment with the Building Practitioners Board Assessors • Hold the appropriate insurance • We recommend you contact the Building Practitioners Board to discuss your eligibility We recommend you contact the Buidling Practitioners Board to discuss your eligibility

What are our Fees Fee for service

Government funded students

If this course is lower than any qualification already held, then you will not be eligible for a Government funded place.

If this course is higher than the qualification already held, then you will be eligible for a Government funded place.

How to Enrol? Before you proceed, please check to see if you are eligible for Government funding, entitling you to a reduced enrolment fee. Please make sure you have checked your eligibility and the course fee’s. Now that you have checked your eligibility, please follow the simple steps below to get started.

How to Enrol if you are paying full Fee for Service

Once you have found a session that suits you, click on the green button ‘apply now’ and follow the on screen Short Course application form. Upon completion, you will be required to make payment of the course in full to process your enrolment. If you would like to talk to one of our staff, please give us a call on (03) 9564 1546 or visit our office to discuss your requirements. (Payment plans are available)

Step 1 - Visit us online at: au/programs/shortcourses Step 2 - Select, Building & Construction. from the website navigation panel Step 3 - For session information ‘click to view course dates’ at the top of the page


Are you eligible for Government funding?

Does the applicant meet the citizenship/ residency requirements?



Is the applicant under 20 on 1 Jan in the year in which the course commences?



Applicant is not eligible

Is the applicant seeking entry to a Foundation Skills course?



Is the applicant an Apprentice?

Is the course Is the applied applicant for at a higher enrolled in two NO NO level than or more GSP YES the highest courses qualification in the calendar already held? year?



Applicant is not eligible


Applicant is eligible for a government subsidised place

Important Information Students are eligible for a Government funded place if the student is: An Australian citizen, or a permanent resident of Australia, or a holder of a Special Category Visa including New Zealand citizens (sub class 444), and be aged under 20 on 1 January in the year in which the course commences.


Or if aged over 20 on 1 January in the year in which the course commences, enrolling in a qualification higher than the highest qualification already held. Fee for service students will be exempt from these conditions. Please ask at enrolment if you are eligible for Government funding.

How to enrol if you are entitled to Government Funding Step 1 - Complete our eForm at http://eform. You can access the eForm at home via the internet, or your local library, etc or come to the Holmesglen Short Course Department Chadstone Campus, Building 2 and we will assist you. Step 2 - Write down, (or print) your unique eForm number, when its’ given to you online and remember to bring it with you when enrolling. We will need this to process your application. Step 3 - Once you have submitted your application, we will assess your application to ensure that you are entitled to Government funding

What to bring when enrolling For a Government funded place, bring all of the following documents with you when enrolling, otherwise it will not be possible to complete your enrollment. • Your eForm number if accessed online • Fee payment • Documentation to prove identity and to enable your eligibility for a Government funded place to be assessed.

What documents can be used to prove your identity? To prove your eligibility, students must provide the following at the time of enrolment. • Current Passport • Australian Birth Certificate or official extract of Birth Certificate • Driver’s license or learners permit


Frequently Asked Questions 1. What does ‘allied field’ cover for the 3 years experience? Any person who has worked in or along side the building industry who has some domestic building knowledge. i.e. Plumber, Electrician, Architect, Engineer, Plaster, Painter, Lawyer 2. Once I finish doing the course, how do I apply for my licence? You need to contact the Building Commission and ask them to send you an application to become a Registered Domestic Builder. 3. Does this course cover everything I need to know when I go to the building commission to get my licence? No, doing this course is only a small part of becoming a Domestic Registered Builder. You will need to contact the Building Commission for further information on the processes. 4. I’ve done similar units of compentency that are covered in the Cert IV Building & Construction. Can I get recognition of prior learning (RPL) or credit transfer (CT) and what is the process? Yes, you will need to complete the RPL Form (Recognition for Prior Learning) and match the units of competency completed to the units of competency offered in the Cert IV 5. Does the course run on school holidays or public holidays? No 6. How long do I have before I enrol? There is no time limit. We stop taking enrolments when the class is full


7. I don’t have a red (white) card; do I have to get it, before I start this course? No, We can help you with your white card, as we offer provide training for this card. 8. What permission does an owner-builder need? An owner-builder must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board before carrying out any domestic building work as an owner-builder. An owner-builder will not be able to obtain a building permit without a Certificate of Consent 9. What is the building legislation system in Victoria? Victoria’s building legislation system was set up under a Victorian Act of Parliament, the Building Act 1993. It has developed into a leading model for other Australian States and Territories, as well as for other countries. The Building Act 1993 introduced major changes in building control to improve the Victorian building industry. Of particular note, the Act introduced building permit approvals by private building surveyors. It also introduced compulsory registration and insurance for builders and certain other categories of building practitioners. These innovations have been designed to assist building owners, building surveyors and other industry practitioners to produce buildings that are safe, liveable and energy efficient in a cost effective and timely manner for all Victorians.

Course Competencies Course Code CPC40110 Course Length 17 weeks (12 hours p/w) or 25 weeks (8 hours p/w)

Units of Competency

Assessment Assessment is a combination of written assignments, tests, examinations and/or practical application projects. Students are required to attend tests and examinations as scheduled.

-- CPCCBC4001A: Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects -- CPCCBC4002A: Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace -- CPCCBC4003A – Select and prepare a construction contract -- CPCCBC4004A: Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects -- CPCCBC4005A: Produce labour and material schedules for ordering -- CPCCBC4006B: Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects -- CPCCBC4007A: Plan building or construction work -- CPCCBC4008B: Conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects -- CPCCBC4009B: Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects -- CPCCBC4010B: Apply structural principles to residential low rise constructions -- CPCCBC4011B: Apply structural principles to commercial low rise constructions -- CPCCBC4012A: Read and interpret plans and specifications -- CPCCBC4024A: Resolve business disputes -- BSBSMB406B: Manage small business finances -- BSBSMB401A: Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business -- BSBSMB402A: Plan small business finances


The Building Practitioners Board (BPB) recognises this course as an equivalent qualification for registration as a Domestic Builder

Location: Chadstone Campus Batesford Road, Chadstone Victoria, Australia 3148 City Campus 332 St Kilda Road, Southbank Victoria, Australia 3006 Š Holmesglen Institute of TAFE November 2011 Holmesglen is the trading name of Holmesglen Institute of TAFE TOID: 0416

Course Enquiries Short Courses Department Chadstone: 9564 1541 E: W:

Certificate IV in Building & Construction (Building)  

This handbook is essential reading for anyone looking at becoming a Registered Domestic Builder.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you