Page 61

CLAYTON, RICHARD

Ann Swope. His father had fought for the Confederacy under Gen. John Hunt Morgan and moved to Falmouth after being released from a Union prison in Chicago at the end of the Civil War. Ernest Clarke graduated from Bethany College in West Virginia in 1892, studied law under Leslie T. Applegate, and passed the bar exam in 1894. That same year, Clarke began practicing law in Falmouth with Applegate. Clarke was involved in the community as a member of the Beta Theta Pi social fraternity and of the Disciples of Christ Church and in other ways as well. He also served as the captain of Company C of the Kentucky State Guard from 1898 to 1899. On June 12, 1900, Clarke married Mary Virginia Oldham; they had two sons. He quickly became a successful lawyer in Falmouth and practiced privately there for six years. Between 1900 and 1915, he was elected Pendleton Co. attorney, county treasurer, and county judge. Clarke served as president of the Citizens Bank of Falmouth from 1911 to 1919. In 1915 Clarke was elected as a judge on the Kentucky Court of Appeals. He served in that position until September 1, 1925, when he was appointed chief justice of the court. He resigned a year later and moved to Louisville, where he became the vice president and trust officer of the First National Bank and Kentucky Title Trust Company. In Louisville, Clarke became highly involved in civic matters. He was a trustee of the University of Louisville from 1928 to 1948 and of the American Printing House for the Blind from 1927 to 1948. He retired in 1945 and died in 1948. He was buried in Louisville’s Cave Hill Cemetery. Cave Hill. “Clarke Sr., Ernest S.” www.cavehillcemetery .com (accessed March 3, 2005). Kerr, Charles. History of Kentucky. 5 vols. Chicago: American Historical Society, 1922. The National Cyclopedia of American Biography. Vol. 37. New York: James T. White, 1951. Reis, Jim. “Little Known Figures Worthy of Note,” KP, November 29, 1993, 4K. Southard, Mary Young, and Ernest C. Miller, eds. Who’s Who in Kentucky: A Biographical Assembly of Notable Kentuckians. Louisville, Ky.: Standard, 1936.

candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in 1874. He was elected to the 44th Congress and reelected two years later to the 45th Congress. He declined to run again in 1878, choosing instead to return to the practice of law. Clarke died of throat cancer in 1911 and was buried in Mount Zion Cemetery, near Brooksville. Biographical Cyclopedia of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Chicago: John M. Gresham, 1896. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774–1989. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1989. Biographical Encyclopedia of Kentucky. Cincinnati: J. M. Armstrong, 1878.

Thomas S. Ward

CLARYVILLE. Claryville, located just south of Alexandria in Campbell Co. along U.S. 27 and the Licking Pk., is a rural community that today is experiencing rapid growth. In its long history, the small town of Claryville, named for the Clary family who settled there, was never incorporated, but it has always been a hub of activity for the immediate area. The 1883 Lake atlas shows several stores, a shoemaker, a post office, two blacksmith shops, a school, two cooper or basket shops, and several taverns situated at Claryville. At one time there was a local “bus” ser vice provided by means of a horse-drawn carriage ser vice to Newport. The Rackes, a prominent family in Claryville, operated a general store, a hardware store, and a lumberyard in town. The Claryville Inn has also been a popu lar spot for years. The Bob White Sportsman’s Club opened in town in 1933 on 85 acres. There are mobile home parks in Claryville as well as the new Campbell Co. High School, which opened in 1995. The Kahns meatpacking plant relocated to Claryville from Cincinnati in 1983, supplying many jobs to local residents. This company and its plant are now a part of the Sara Lee Foods Corporation. Many new homes are being built at Claryville, and the relatively flat terrain lends itself to a bright future of community growth. An Atlas of Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties, Kentucky. Philadelphia: D. J. Lake, 1883.

Elizabeth Comer Williams

Kenneth A. Reis

CLARKE, JOHN B. (April 14, 1833, Brooksville, Ky.; d. May 23, 1911, Brooksville, Ky.). Legislator John Blades Clarke was the son of John and Mary Blades Clarke, both native Kentuckians. He attended schools in Augusta, including Augusta College. After his college graduation, Clarke brief ly taught school before reading law with Judge Joseph Doniphan of Augusta. He was admitted to the bar in 1854 and set up his first law practice in Rockport, Ind. When his wife, Cordelia A. Robertson, became ill at the end of 1855, he moved back to Brooksville. There, Clarke continued to practice law and began his political career when he was elected Bracken Co. attorney in 1857, a post he held until 1862. As a member of the Democratic Party, he was elected to the Kentucky state senate in 1867 and served there until 1870. The Democrats of the Ninth Congressional District made Clarke their

CLAXON, JOSEPH LUCAS, JR. (b. May 31, 1918, Monterey, Owen Co., Ky.; d. January 18, 1999, Florence, Ky.). Extension agent Joseph Claxon was the son of Joe Lucas and Mary Kemper Claxon. He spent his youth on a farm at Claxon Ridge in Owen Co., then graduated from the University of Kentucky in Lexington with a degree in agriculture and also served in World War II. He married Elizabeth Trueheart in 1946 and they became the parents of two children. He and his family settled in Florence, Ky., where he served as the Boone Co. Extension Agent for 28 years. A room at the Ellis Cooperative Extension Center in the county was named in his honor. Claxon was a member of the Boone Co. Fair Board for 40 years, president and chairman of the Kentucky State Fair Board, director and president of the Boone Co. Farm Bureau, twice president of the Florence Rotary Club, and a

197

member of the Florence Baptist Church. He died in 1999 and was buried at the Hebron Lutheran Cemetery in Boone Co. “Agriculture Agent Joseph Claxon Jr. Led Fairs, Farm Bureau, ‘Loved People,’ ” KP, January 21, 1999, 2. Murphy, Margaret Alice, and Lela Maude Hawkins. The History of Historic Old Cedar Baptist Church and Community, 1816–2004. Frankfort, Ky.: Lynn, 2004.

Margaret A. Murphy

CLAYTON, RICHARD (b. ca. 1807, England; date and place of death unknown). Balloonist Richard Clayton came to the United States in the early 1830s and set up a clock-making and silversmith shop, called Clayton’s Wholesale House, on the southeast corner of Second and Sycamore Sts. in Cincinnati. In 1854, after purchasing Somerset Hall in Ludlow, Ky., Clayton moved there. Somerset Hall was the former summer home of William Butler Kenner (d. 1853) (see Kenner Family), a New Orleans plantation owner and the brother of George Kenner, who had owned Ludlow’s nearby Elmwood Hall. While living in England, Clayton had witnessed several balloon flights and developed a keen interest in the activity. At the time he arrived in Cincinnati, a number of both professional and amateur balloonists were making flights in various northeastern cities. Clayton decided to become a balloonist and constructed a 50-foot-tall airship from 4,500 square feet of silk cloth. When fi lled with hydrogen gas, the balloon, named The Star of the West, could carry a payload of about 1,000 pounds. Clayton made his first flight on April 8, 1835, from an amphitheater in Cincinnati on Court St, between Race and Elm Sts. He ran newspaper advertisements, saying that he would be “making a grand aerial voyage, in the most splendid balloon in the U.S.” Clayton’s flights were not merely for entertainment or for thrilling personal experiences; he also had a profit motive. He arranged for several hotels in the city to sell tickets to view his balloon flights for 50 cents each. Clayton took off in his balloon at 5:00 p.m., accompanied by a 20-pound dog, which he dropped by parachute from an altitude of about one mile. The dog landed safely near the city. Clayton’s flight ended on a 3,000-foot-high mountaintop in Monroe Co., Va. (now W.Va.). On that flight, Clayton set a world record for the longest balloon flight. He succeeded in traveling 350 miles in nine and one-half hours. As a result of that feat, Clayton became a national hero. Within a week after landing, he was back in town preparing for his next flight. On May 13, 1835, he flew again from the Court St. site. On the day of the flight, there were strong, gusty winds, which caused the balloon to crash into a nearby building shortly after takeoff. The basket was torn free from the balloon, and Clayton was fortunate to land safely on a rooftop. His balloon was destroyed in the mishap, but friends and neighbors donated money to help pay for a replacement. He made another flight on July 4, 1835, on which he predicted that he would reach the Atlantic seaboard. He took with him several letters,

Chapter C of the Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky  

The Encylopedia of Northern Kentucky in partnership with NKY.com. Edited by Paul A. Tenkotte and James C. Claypool, The University Press of...

Chapter C of the Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky  

The Encylopedia of Northern Kentucky in partnership with NKY.com. Edited by Paul A. Tenkotte and James C. Claypool, The University Press of...