Page 1

Wedding Celebrant


• • • • •

• •

Both parties must be over 18 years of age, OR If one party is between 16 and 18 years of age, written permission is required from a magistrate plus one or both parents (if applicable). If either party has previously been married, a death or divorce certificate must be provided. If you are Australian born, your original birth certificate showing the date and place of birth must be provided. If born overseas, your birth certificate or valid passport (with a certified translation if not in English) must be provided – if neither is able to be acquired, a Statutory Declaration must be provided. The Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form must be completed (and witnessed) no later than one month and 1 day prior to the date of the marriage and no earlier than 18 months prior to the date of marriage. Within this form you must declare your current marital status and that there is no impediment to the marriage – I am able to witness your signatures. Minimum wording a celebrant must legally say to perform a valid marriage is: “I am duly authorized by law to solemnize marriages according to law. Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter. Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life” Minimum wording a couple must say to make the marriage valid: “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I, A.B. (or C.D.), take thee, C.D. (or A.B.) to be my lawful wedded wife (or husband)”; or words to that effect. There must be a minimum of 2 witnesses each being at least 18 years of age To formally register the marriage, the celebrant must with 14 days of the solemnization of a marriage ceremony, forward the following to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages: o Form 13 Notice of Intended Marriage [NOIM] o Form 14 Declarations o Form 16 Official Certificate of Marriage


When a couple books my services as their wedding celebrant, I am legally required to give both parties a copy of Form 14a “Happily Ever Before and After”. Pre Marriage Education is important to ensure good communication for your years together. As I said earlier, it is a legal requirement that I pass this form on – it’s actually a section we have to 5 on the NOIM, to indicate I have given you each a copy of Form 14a. My giving you this brochure doesn’t mean I see dark clouds on the horizon – quite the opposite actually, but Pre Marriage Education is like an insurance policy that you know you’ll never need but it’s there in the back of your mind anyway. I know from experience that men and women communicate on a different level sometimes and this is one of many tools to aid your journey together. Listed below are a few western Sydney companies that you might like to call: Anglicare 16 Parkes Street Parramatta NSW 2124 (Ph 9895 8094). Pre-Marriage courses offered are: Prepare – Relationship Coaching; Growing Together; Growing Together Again. Relationships Australia Suites 102 & 103, Level 1, 18-20 Ross Street, North Parramatta NSW 2151 (Ph 02 9806 3299). Pre-Marriage course offered is: Prepare for a Lasting Relationship. Interrelate Family Centres 14-16 Lexington Drive Bella Vista NSW 2153. Ph: 02 8882 7850. Fax: 02 8882 7855. The Pre-Marriage course offered currently at this location is: Making Step-Families Work.


I would like to think that your wedding day will be the happiest day of your life – well, to this stage in life anyway. I would hope that my services as your celebrant far exceed your expectations however, if for some reason this is not the case and you have concerns about the service provided by me, you can make a complaint. Hard as you may find it, it is best to discuss this with me first; if, for whatever reason you can’t do that, here is what you do: You must make you complaint in writing within 3 months to: The Registrar of Marriage Celebrants Australian Government Attorney General’s Department Robert Garran Offices 3-5 National Circuit Barton, ACT 2600 Your complaint must contain the following details: Your full name and contact details (if your complaint is anonymous it will not be accepted) The name of the marriage celebrant about whom you are complaining The full details of the complaint Whether or not it has been subject to other proceedings such as a report made to the police. If you suffer from a disability and require assistance in preparing the complaint, the Marriage Celebrants Section may be able to provide this. Not all complaints will be accepted but if the Registrar decides to deal with the complaint you will be asked to provide any additional material you wish to provide in support of the complaint. This may include signed statements or statutory declarations from witnesses. The material must be in writing. The Registrar may also seek additional information from you if necessary. You must provide to the Registrar a written statement consenting to the marriage celebrant being notified of the complaint and being given a copy of any information or material provided by you to the Registrar in support of the complaint. If the Registrar does not receive such a statement, the complaint cannot proceed and will be terminated.


As an authorised celebrant registered by The Attorney-General’s Department, all aspects of my celebrancy work are subject to the Privacy Act 1988 which requires that we comply with the Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) set out in the Act. Apart from the legal forms you are required to complete which I subsequently send to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages; your information is not disclosed to any third party. My computer records are all password-protected and any written documentation I must retain is stored in a locked filing cabinet, securely within my office. No details relating to my clients are passed on to anyone apart from yourselves, and even if a family member asked for information from me about you, be assured I legally cannot divulge anything to them.

For my ceremonies that are not recorded in video or audio format, there is no requirement for copyright licensing or permission – we can use music, poems and symbolic songs freely. However if your wedding is being taped, videoed or recorded for later listening or viewing your wedding on DVD as ‘a trip down memory lane”, you do actually need a licence. Your reception will have different ruling, so this advice applies to your actual ceremony only. If you have a poem or reading by a friend or family member which is produced in written form on an order of service, you also require a licence under copyright ruling. If you wish to make an audio recording of a wedding, for example, of musical performances at the wedding, you will need to apply for a manufacture licence from AMCOS if the music is in copyright (see Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) licences the public performance of music and lyrics: see, or phone (toll-free) 1800 882 772. At most, currently the licence will cost you $48.





Booking Fee – payable immediately booking is secured. (includes deposit and lodgement of Notice of Intention to Marry)


Wedding Ceremony

Inclusions:• • • • • • • • • • •


COST $150.00

Weekend (Saturday/Sunday)




Initial no-obligation meeting and free quote Access to poems and readings that you may like to incorporate into your ceremony Unlimited phone and email support and a second meeting for completion of pre-wedding paperwork. A rehearsal at the ceremony location Performing the ceremony PA system including CD facility A table, tablecloth and chairs for signing the legal documentation Completion and lodgement of all paperwork Commemorative certificate Presentation folder with a copy of your ceremony. Travel costs in connection with solemnization – allows up to 50km return journey from celebrant’s residence. Additional travel cost charged at 70c per km.

Ritual –varies from no charge to $50 dependant upon your requirements



Your wedding can be as personalized or as basic as you choose. If you want to go as basic as possible, your small wedding ceremony can be conducted at my home for $250. Times can be negotiated and the NOIM needs to be completed no later than 1 month and 1 day prior to your wedding ceremony. I have a selection of 3 brief ceremonies where we just insert your names in the appropriate places and your wedding service can be completed within 10 – 20 minutes depending on your desires. Up to 8 chairs can be provided for guests and we have the usual signing table and chairs for the bridal couple to sign official paperwork. We still have to use the Monitum (required legal wording) and your full names at least once in the ceremony – and you still need two witnesses over the age of 18 to overhear the ceremony including your vows, and to sign your Marriage Certificate and a couple of other forms – easy.


If one or both of you do not understand English and require the services of an interpreter, we must use an accredited NAATI qualified interpreter. You may feel that you have a friend or family member who will interpret to save costs; however that will not be possible. I have to obtain a Statutory Declaration from the NAATI registered interpreter at the end of the ceremony and this is to be sent with your NOIM plus the other legal documentation we sign on your wedding day, to the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages. I can give you contact details for NAATI or accredited interpreting services if required.

Your wedding day is your special celebration and as much as possible, I will commit to fulfill your wishes. If you have cultural requirements you wish to be introduced into the ceremony, I’m open to researching this and helping you as best I can. I am willing to incorporate rituals, readings or prayers from friends or family members and would welcome creating your personalized ceremony to celebrate your individuality and togetherness. If the nature of your requirements means a much longer ceremony than usual, there may be a revised price - we can discuss this at the time of booking my services.


I want your wedding day to be amazing. I want to exceed your expectations and  have the start of your new life together be one where you can’t stop smiling. Because  of this, it is really important to me that you tell me how you feel and make any  suggestions or recommendations that you feel would enhance my services.  I give a feedback form and stamped, addressed envelope to all of my clients at our  last meeting prior to the actual wedding day and I want you to complete and return  this, being really honest with me. Whilst I hope your experience will be thoroughly  positive, if you have any concerns or issues I really need to know about it. 


Cheryl Raffan Marriage Celebrant  

Cheryl Raffan Marriage Celebrant Contact:

Cheryl Raffan Marriage Celebrant  

Cheryl Raffan Marriage Celebrant Contact: