Page 7


Chris made many friends along the way who have repeatedly spoken of his warm, friendly and generous nature, his humor and being fun to be with – whether through school, university, work, play or his rugby. He was always able to make a special connection with children, who instantly took a liking to him. Chris was a great all round sportsman. He was a keen cricketer with an ‘intelligent’ approach to bowling but more of an ‘all or nothing’ approach to batting!  He made history at College for being the first person ever to take 10 wickets in a House match and is mentioned in Wisden’s Almanac for the 1958 season for his contribution in the game at Lord’s between College and Hailebury, when he took 5 wickets for 19 runs in the first innings and 3 for 30 in the second. He enjoyed athletics at school, excelling in everything but the hurdles for which he seemed to adopt a more ‘direct’ rather than the more normal ‘up and over’ approach.  He still holds the Junior School shot putt record to this day. Jeremy Taylor (OJ & Xt, 1958) captain of the unbeaten College 1957 XV in which Chris played, recalls: “Chris was a physical phenomenon at the Junior School where he was 6 inches taller than the other boys and 50% heavier. The rest of the world did not catch up with him until the end of the Senior. My great aggravation was setting the 100 yards’ record in my final year at the Junior only to have it beaten by Hoole the following year. The shame of being outsprinted by a prop has scarred me ever since!” He played in the Hockey and Cricket XIs for three years and the XV for two years. He captained the XV in 1958 (his father captained the unbeaten 1933 XV) which recovered after a slow start when the pack was changed and improved with every game, ending the season well by beating Radley and Stowe and drawing with Marlborough. The Cheltonian Rugby report said: “Hoole at tight head prop, was the cornerstone of a sound front row. Judged by the play of the team in matches at the end of the season, Hoole is to be congratulated on pulling them through a testing time of team building as he did. There will be very few old colours returning next year and the 1959 captain will have a bigger job than Hoole, but, with the same unshakeable approach, the prospects are far from dim.” Chris played for Rosslyn Park (1st XV 1965-70) – a formidable prop with many battle stories and scars to prove it! He then went on to coach and later became chairman of Manchester Rugby Club. During his holidays and breaks he enjoyed being active or travelling. He spent school summer holidays working on George’s Farm in Bredon Hill, near Tewkesbury, where he frequently demonstrated his brawn, including taking up the dare he couldn’t ride a large boar they were herding down the lane for 50 yards. Unknown to him, but to all others present, the first thing a boar does when stressed is head for cover. So when he sat astride the inevitable happened, it headed for the ditch alongside the road full of stinging nettles, and promptly deposited him in short-sleeves and his shorts! As he got older and went to University, he went further afield to France, the States and also his first and last skiing trip! With his university friends and accompanied by his brother Sean, who was the only other one not to have skied before, they keenly hit the slopes. The first time they put their skis on, gravity took over and due to the slight oversight of facing the skis down the hill they were off.  Sean remembers asking “how do we stop?”, “No idea?” was the response.  Fortunately for them, but not for her, a German lady came to the rescue. Chris hit her in the legs and Sean hit her in the midriff. All three ended up in a snow drift. Chris enjoyed holidays with his family in the UK and then for many years in the South of France at their caravan which became a real base for the family to come and go throughout the summer months, a beer and playing boules became a favourite although the odd battle with the windsurfer provided much entertainment! On leaving College, he took a year out to work in London for Ault & Wiborg (Printing Ink Company) at their Southfields/

Wimbledon factory. Then, in 1960, he went up to St John’s College, Cambridge, initially reading Languages before switching to Economics. On graduating, he was employed by Ault & Wiborg. In 1970 he was promoted to become Production Manager at their Watford factory. In 1976 he joined Eastlight (Office equipment) in Denton as Production Manager. In the late 1980s he was appointed Managing Director of Egidius Janssen in Belgium. In 1997 he returned to England when he was appointed Managing Director of Railex Systems Ltd in Southport and was there until he retired. For some time latterly he suffered poor health and was hospitalised several times. However, his bravery, as alluded to earlier, was very evident and he never lost his good humour and enthusiasm. He is survived by his wife Shirley, sons Seamus, Robin and Timothy, and step-children Melanie, Jo and Ian, nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. James Michael Coldwell Horsfall (BH, 1938)

James Horsfall, brother of the late Colin Horsfall (BH, 1944), died on the 21st October 2016, aged 96. David Hotton (Past Staff, 1965-70)

David Hotton died on the 6th March 2014, aged 80. He was educated at Queen Elizabeth College, Guernsey, and Jesus College, Oxford, where he read Modern Languages. His first teaching post was at Downside School (1958-61) where he taught French and German. He was appointed Head of French at Malvern College (1961-65) and also taught Russian to non specialists (acquired during his last year of National Service). In 1965, he was appointed Head of Modern Languages at College. David was an interesting character who didn’t always attract approval! He was a very dynamic young man who put a lot of enthusiasm into both the organisation and the teaching of the faculty and was something of a perfectionist. He revolutionised the Modern Languages Laboratory, participated in pilot O Level oral examinations on tape, kept a close account of pupils’ progress and in sum, ran a very dynamic and tight department. Outside the Classroom, he got involved on the sports field, ran the French and Film Societies, was a tutor in Newick House and was heavily involved in drama. He was an outstandingly good producer and actor in the theatre. He took the juvenile lead in the Belles of St.Trinians and the part of the lead clergyman in See How They Run. He produced a fantastically good revue arranged around Queen Victoria, with boys presenting music hall scenes, both sentimental and tragic.  He produced an excellent Oliver that was very imaginative, with characters shifting scenery while they sang. David also produced amateur opera in the town.    David kept in touch with the outside world by playing dominoes every evening in the Bell which was opposite his house in Bath Road and gave parties at home where he insisted that guests perform for their supper and did rather a good cabaret.   David left College in 1970 on his appointment to the Deputy Headship of Worthing High School, eventually becoming Headmaster. On retirement he moved to Church Stretton where he was organist in the local Parish Church. He is survived by his wife Helen and sons Tom, Paul and daughter Anna.


Profile for Cheltenham College

Floreat 2017 - Obituary Supplement  

Floreat 2017 - Obituary Supplement