I believe I have learnt a lot about how to use Photoshop since I produced the preliminary magazine cover and contents pages. Viewing back on my college magazine pages I can see how amateur and untried I was regarding Photoshop. This task was a good opportunity to experiment with the different tools and skills Photoshop had to offer and for me to develop and learn. In terms of photography I have realised how important it is to use a good quality camera. As you can see the image on the preliminary cover is unclear and the lighting of the setting was also not adequate to produce a decent photo. I also did not edit this picture to try and improve the quality. Whereas, in my media product, the image was taken with a Canon DSLR digital camera which is an expensive and good quality camera. The image is clear and sharp as the lighting was more suitable for taking a mid-close up shot. I edited the image into black and white to fit my choice of house style and create a modern look which would appeal to my target audience. As well as the 2 images featured on the contents page. Another improvement is the existence of images on my contents page as the preliminary contents page doesn’t. I also learnt about the veracious compositions to use to achieve the outcome I was looking for. For example, the preliminary cover model is looking down at a book and not addressing the audience, but my final magazine is making a direct address to my target audience. Also the positioning of the image is better and more conventional by the hair being covered by the masthead. The fonts used in my preliminary are consistent on my cover and therefore there is no diversity of the page, which would not attract an audience. This is the same on the contents page where I used a different font but kept it the same on that page, this lacks delight and enthusiasm. My finished product however, uses a variety of fonts on both my front cover and contents page which pleases the audience’s eyes and will attract them to my magazine. These fonts are feminine and stylish and compliment my magazine and its house style. The layout of my final magazine has also improved as the masthead on the front cover has been repositioned to the very top of the page which is not only more conventional but practical due to the way they are stacked in shops. The cover lines are more visible and fit better to my house style whereas, the preliminary front cover doesn’t really submit to a house style and uses a range of unmatched colours. Also my final magazine has a main cover line to attract my target audience but my preliminary one lacks this feature. Regarding my contents page the layout is professional/smart with a clear appearance but is not simplistic and uses images and feminine fonts to attract my target audience. The lines under and above the main cover lines separate the page and attract attention towards the main topics. On the other hand, the preliminary task is very plain and dull and lacks any excitement and entertainment for an audience. My preliminary task doesn’t adapt to any mode of address as it never uses second person pronouns which interacts with an audience and creates that address. This is another aspect of my preliminary task that lacks the ability to draw my audience in. My finished magazine however does use a mode of address; this is a casual and friendly approach. It addresses the audience as an expert in the subjects of my magazine, lending advice and teaching them about how to be an individual. This is a key thing to communicate as that is what my target audience desire to be.
In my preliminary magazine I didn’t have a direct audience but female college students. This is shown by the subject of cover lines and the image shown on the front cover. Through all my research and planning, I developed a precise target audience of 15-19 year olds females, that are of a middle-higher class. This is portrayed in my magazine by; the attractive young female models seen on both my contents page and front cover, the feminine fonts I used, the colours which overall represent a female audience which are complimented by the black and white background, the female orientated cover lines and the price of the magazine which is affordable for the class of my target audience.
I learnt how to use crucial Photoshop devices which improved my work. I used the gradient tool which was the backing for my contents page and feature article which was a gradual change from black to white. This fitted with my house style and added the stylish and modern effect I aimed to achieve. The sizing of text tool also played an important part of my magazine as I had to shape around the front cover image so the picture receives the attention it deserves. I had to use the ruler tool to part my feature article into a precise half to create the professional look of a feature article. Mastering the layers of my magazine was another thing I had to consider as overlapping certain things with another, created the skilled effect I was aiming for. This is shown by the masthead over the hair of the model on the front cover. Also the word â€˜featuresâ€™ starting over the corner of the image and continuing on, as well as some of the numbers on the contents page. The layers were very important to use as I could not have attained the gradient background. In conclusion, while I have become knowledgeable with many Photoshop skills that will be helpful in the future, what Iâ€™ve learnt the greatest is the importance of planning and research towards my media product. By making the plans it allows you to make fewer mistakes throughout the construction of the magazine. Due to the preliminary tasks and research I have studies many real magazines to eventually create my own professional looking magazine. I have developed an eye for what is visually pleasing and I have a clearer understanding of how to cater a product for a detailed audience.