English Language Programs
About the Center for English as a Second Language
he University of Arizona’s Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) offers high-quality Intensive English Language and Teacher Training programs. CESL has been serving the University of Arizona and the greater Tucson and global communities for over 40 years. CESL provides superior English language instruction to native speakers of other languages through quality teaching and a curriculum that provides a rich and engaging learning environment to prepare students for social, academic and professional success at the UA or other academic settings.
“My experience as a CESL student, an astonishing adventure.” – Yuri Alexander Romana COLOMBIA
CESL trip to the Grand Canyon
CESL soccer club
Support, Student Life & Recreation
• Full-time immigration and student advisor available.
Students may apply for conditional admission to UA while attending CESL. A satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS score or a CESL endorsement (restrictions apply) will meet UA’s English language requirements.
• Campus activities and excursions to local points of interest. • Independent Reading Program (IRP) guides, rewards and instills a love of reading for enjoyment. • CESL Library in-house with graded readers for incremental reading skill improvement. • Access to all University facilities including Campus Recreation Center, Campus Health Center, libraries and the Integrated Learning Center. • Help with housing and settling in: dormitories, home stays, or apartments. • Orientation to campus and surrounding community.
“CESL is my second family.” – Naif Alotaiby SAUDI ARABIA
CESL offers programs on the UA cam Here is a sampling of our various programs: • Intensive English Program: Classes for beginning to advanced learners. Our students come from approximately 35 countries and study more than 22 hours a week with a master teacher. CESL has the only Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) accredited Intensive English Program in Arizona.
• Academic Bridge Programs: These joint programs offer students an opportunity to take both English and University of Arizona courses to earn UA credit while at the same time improve their English ability and academic readiness. In addition, students who meet the minimum academic qualifications for UA admission can be admitted to the UA upon successful completion of bridge programs.
• Part-time Programs: Part-time options are available during the day or evening to students who may be busy with jobs or other studies. These classes focus on a particular English skill such as conversation, pronunciation, TOEFL preparation, general English, and more.
• Tutoring Program: CESL and UA students who need extra help with their English may brush up on their English language skills via individualized tutoring or Skill Intensive Workshops designed for small groups.
mpus, online, and abroad • Online Programs: A variety of online courses are available for English for specific purposes, skill-based courses, general English, test-taking strategies, English teacher training, and customized courses.
• Teen English Program: This is a 4-week program offered in July-August for teens ages 13-17. Students use their English in the classroom, in the computer labs, and during recreational activities.
• Teacher Training Programs: These certificate programs teach, expand and update English language teaching skills depending on one’s career goals. Courses can be taken face to face or online. CESL offers several content areas that can be customized to fit a group’s needs.
• Customized Programs: If our regular courses do not fit your schedule or needs, we can design a program just for you or your group. From English language instruction and English for Specific Purposes to English Teacher Training. Your students or teachers can study here at CESL or we can send a teacher or group of teachers to your site. CESL can also conduct program reviews and assist with faculty development for university internationalization programs.
“I attended CESL because I got to meet people from other countries, learn about other cultures and, of course,
CESL Academic Highlights • Small classes with individualized attention and support. • Accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA).
improve my English. I also discovered the incredible scenery and history of Arizona.” – Kjetil Johnsen NORWAY
• Conditional admission to the University of Arizona. • Access to multimedia lab. • Experienced, creative, and culturallysensitive faculty. • Flexible curriculum with electives such as TOEFL and IELTS Preparation. • Class visit option for advanced students.
“CESL was a fantastic experience. My English has improved because the full day program is very well organized with different classes (listening, speaking, writing, grammar and reading).” – Adriana Tempesta ITALY
“CESL is an excellent place to learn English. You will find well-qualified teachers who will help you learn. CESL is known around the word
About Tucson Tucson is a safe, welcoming, multicultural city located in the beautiful Sonoran desert. Our city enjoys a low cost of living, and a healthy desert climate where winters are warm and • 350 days of sunshine mild. Students and a year visitors to Tucson • Mild-climate provides yearcan visit Arizona’s round outdoor activities wonders, including • Safe modern the spectacular metropolitan area Grand Canyon and
because students from around the world have been studying here for over 40 years.” – Isabel Ramos VENEZUELA
• Diverse and multi cultural city with warm and friendly people
Nevada Las Vegas
The University of Arizona College of Humanities Center for English as a Second Language 1100 E. James E. Rogers Way Tucson, AZ 85721-0024, USA Phone: 520-621-1362 Fax: 520-621-9180 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All contents ÂŠ 2015 Arizona Board of Regents. All rights reserved. The UA is an EEO/AA - M/W/D/V Employer.
CESL English Language Programs Main Brochure