S DOW WIN ERS US
SAT Online Prep Quick Start Guide
For Students using WINDOWS: This guide will help you get set up to use the course at home or at school. To use the course, you need to make sure that your computer system, connection, browser and plug-ins meet the requirements of Kaplan's online software. Here are the minimum requirements for Windows users: HARDWARE Processor
333 MHz (.333 GHz) or faster
128 MB of RAM
Monitor Screen Resolution
800 x 600 or higher (1024 x 768 recommended).
SOFTWARE Operating System Browser Plug-Ins
Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, or XP (Mac Users see the Mac version of this Guide.) Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or higher, Mozilla Suite 1.7.3 or higher, or Firefox 1.0 or higher Acrobat Reader 6.0.1 and Macromedia Flash Player 7.0r19 or higher
1. DETERMINE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM
a. b. c.
Go to the "Start" menu Right-click on "My Computer.” Select “Properties.”
d. Review your system.
2. SET YOUR SCREEN RESOLUTION a. Click the “Start” button. b. Select “Control Panel.”
Click on "Appearance and Themes."
Click the "Display" icon.
e. Set screen resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels.
3. ENSURE YOU HAVE A HIGH-SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION The SAT Prep Online program requires that you have a high-speed connection. Do you have a DSL or Cable Internet connection? If yes, go to the next section. If you’re not sure, do the following:
WIN DO USE WS RS
a. Click the “Start” button. b. Go to “Connect To.” c. Select “Show all Connections.”
Double-click on the icon that says "Connected."
e. Review the numbers. Your Internet connection should be at least 56kbps.
4. SELECT A BROWSER TO RUN THE PROGRAM To use the course, you will need to have Internet Explorer (5.5 SP1 or higher) or Firefox (1.0 or higher). If you’re not sure if you have one of these browsers: a.
Click the “Start” button.
Go to “Programs” (click the down arrows to see additional programs).
Look for “Internet Explorer,” or "Mozilla Firefox" or “Mozilla.”
Once you have launched the browser, go to the "Help" drop-down menu and select "About..." The version number will be indicated in a pop-up window. (Check against the requirements chart on page 1 of this Guide.)
If you need to download a browser, do one of the following: a.
Go to http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ and click “Download Firefox.” Download and launch.
Go to http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ and follow the instructions for downloading Mozilla Suite.
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx and click the "Download Center" link. Then follow the instructions for downloading Internet Explorer.
5. CONFIGURE THE COMPATIBLE WEB BROWSER Internet Explorer: With IE open, go to Tools —> Internet Options —> Privacy. Then select "Medium High" on the privacy setting slider and uncheck the "Block Pop-ups" box. Next, click the "Security" tab and click the "Internet" icon. Then click the "Default Level" button. Firefox: With the browser open, go to Tools —> Options —> Web Features. Uncheck the "Block Popup Windows" box. 6. INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF THE MACROMEDIA FLASH PLAYER BROWSER PLUG-IN Go to http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/ (Flash Player) and follow the directions on the site. 7. INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF THE ACROBAT READER PLUG-IN Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html (Adobe Reader) and follow the directions on the site. 2
SAT Online Prep Quick Start Guide Welcome to SAT® Online Prep. This course is the online equivalent of the full Kaplan SAT® print course taught in Kaplan centers and is designed to use the power of online technology to prepare you for the new SAT®. For more detailed information, please refer to your copy of the Student Handbook. 8. REGISTER YOUR PRODUCT KEY 1. 2. 3. 4.
Open a new web browser window and go to www.kaplank12.com. Click “PROGRAM LOGIN" at the top right of the page. Click “SAT Online Prep” in the list of links. Locate the text displaying “New Student? Do you have a Product Key?” and click the “click here” link. . (Do not 5. Enter your Product Key in the box and click use uppercase letters or spaces.) 6. To register: • Type your First Name and Last Name • Create your username and password • Write it down! You will need it to log in with from now on. Username Password
• Click “Submit” 7. You have successfully registered! Click the link to enter the course. Note: The Welcome Page will alert you if you need to update Adobe Reader or Flash Player on your computer. Both are free and can be downloaded in a few minutes. 9. GET STARTED Now that you’ve registered and signed into the program, you’re ready to get started! 1. First, watch the introductory movie that describes some of the course features and instructs you how to take the first diagnostic test.
2. Next, you will be brought to your homepage. Because you have not yet completed the initial diagnostic, your homepage will be limited: • The “Next Up” assignment is Diagnostic Test #1 • "Controls" area is available • All other features are inaccessible 10. TAKE A DIAGNOSTIC TEST The SAT® Online Prep course includes three diagnostic tests, with one additional practice test accessible at any time from the Practice Area. You will receive your score for each test after all nine sections have been submitted. All tests begin with the 25-minute essay section and end with a 10-minute grammar multiple-choice section. You may exit a section at any time, save the work you have completed, and return to finish later. Note: Each diagnostic test has 9 sections. 1. To begin, click the “Diagnostic Test #1” link on the homepage to enter the test. You will be brought to the test introduction page to view test information. 2. Click the “Start Test” button to begin the online test. 3. Read the section directions before you begin taking the test. 4. When you are ready to begin, click “Start Section.” Important: The scores of your first diagnostic test are used to order your lessons in the calendar so that you work on your areas of greatest weakness first. Do your best on the diagnostic test so that you have the best course experience possible. 3
11. RECEIVE INITIAL TEST RESULTS After you submit all sections in a test, you will see your initial test results — your scaled score in each subject area as well as your composite scaled score.
From this page, view more detailed results by clicking the button, or return to the homepage.
12. VIEW YOUR LESSONS Click your "Next Up” lesson from the homepage to view the Course Introduction. Once you have completed the first diagnostic test, you will use your calendar to view and select your next lesson assignment. (You may also choose to select the "Next Up" lesson from the homepage.) 13. UNDERSTAND THE STUDENT HOMEPAGE After you complete the first diagnostic and receive your score, you’ll have full access to the homepage. From the homepage, click the buttons on the left side of the screen to access your: •
Calendar, which shows you the order in which you should complete your assignments.
Math, Reading, and Writing homepages, which show your mastery level on the checkpoint exercise you complete for each lesson.
Practice Area, which lets you create 5 or 10 question quizzes, and contains a full-length practice test and flashcards.
Results area, which stores all the diagnostic and lesson results in detailed reports.
Controls, which allows you to manage your course experience and download a complete version of the Student Handbook.
14. SIGN IN AGAIN Once you have created a username and password for your SAT® Online Prep course, follow the steps below to sign in. 1. Open a new web browser window and go to www.kaplank12.com. 2. Click “PROGRAM LOGIN” at the top of the page. 3. Click “SAT Online Prep” in the list of links. 4. Type the username and password you created, and click “Sign In.” 5. Click the link that says "SAT." For more detailed information, refer to the Student Handbook.
For technical support, contact Customer care at: 1-866-265-1645 or firstname.lastname@example.org.