Maison du Roy
For further information, please contact the Tourist Office
The garden and its castel
The old Casteljaloux
Point of historical interest
Rue Bros ta
Rue de Veyr Pl. de la République
The Cordeliers’ cloister
ce t-Vin Sain
anç r Fr eni ouv
Pl. d e
Accès centre thermal
aul de P
50 m 100 pieds
The Cordeliers’ chapel Direction Pl. Gambetta Parking Gambetta
Notre Dame church
Map of Casteljaloux from 1750
the maison du roy xvith century
door - xvii century Kings such as LouisXIIIth and Louis XIVth were said to have had their residence at the Maison du Roy when they came to Casteljaloux. A room with a beautiful fireplace regularly hosts exhibitions and an adjoining room is dedicated to local history. The door just facing the chapel,which dates back to 1625, was added while other changes occured to this building.
Do not throw on the public way
(Tourist Office) and the
the cordeliers’ cloister and chapel (xvth and xviith century) : The lords of Albret , the ascendants of Henri IVth, favoured the setting of the Franciscan order (the “Cordeliers”) in Casteljaloux. This order preached charity and poverty and that’s why the chapel is so simple and the cloisters (without any sculptures) are so severe. Many members of the family of Albret chose to be buried in the floor of the chapel, but their graves were desecrated during the wars of religion. the notre dame church : Also built int he 15th century, the church which then became collegiate, was demolished by the protestants and rebuilt from 1682 to 1711, with stones coming from the pulling down of fortifications given by Louis XIIIth. An inscription is engraved on the pediment ‘Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité’ , the motto of the French republic, quite unusual for a religious building in France. But that is understandable when we know that the church has been restored with the finance of the Republic in 1899 ! the garden and its castel : They welcomed “Jeanne d’Albret” and “Henri de Navarre”, future King Henri IVth. In 1636, the castle was partly demolished and the tower was dismantled in 1653. This spot is now under the hands of city gardeners who, thanks to their talent, have made it a park where you can have a peaceful walk. We are amazed by the abundance of plants and flowers and the diversity of tree species, some of them remarkables (yellow buckeye, giant sequoia and common plane tree ).
the ramparts : These 14th century fortifications were pulled down several times during the Religious wars and the “Fronde” period, and Louis XIII ordered their destroying in 1 622. In 1 635, it was rebuilt 4m33 high. In 1 808, the borough council decided that “these useless fortifications would be demolished and sold”. Today, some vestiges still remain: - On the Victor Hugo street : the ‘Avancette’ little door and vestiges of the surrounding walls have been restored by the borough council. place de la république (town hall) : On the spot, there used to be the St Nicolas Church, which then became a protestant church (destroyed en 1683). It underwent many other transformations until the total restoration which dates back to 1988. From this moment on, the covered market was closed by glazings. On the frontispiece, you can see the arms and motto of Casteljaloux «Fiat Pax In Virtute Tua And Abundatia In Turribus Tuis» which can be translated as «That peace reigns thanks to its strength and abundance remains in its towers”. the old casteljaloux (rue de veyries, rue maqueboeuf, rue posterne) About forty half-timbered and corbelling houses from the 15th and the 1 6th centuries, remain in the old town. Some houses have preserved their original aspect.
Sources: the book «Casteljaloux et sa région» by Jean Queyrou and the kind participation of the the local organization : the « Amis de Casteljaloux ».
Office de Tourisme des Coteaux et Landes de Gascogne (Tourist Office) Maison du Roy - Place du Roy Open all year long Tel : 05 53 93 00 00 - Fax : 05 53 20 74 32 www.casteljaloux.com firstname.lastname@example.org