S P O RT Sport isn’t like other careers. If you’re passionate about sport, it’s a way of life, not just a job. That’s what makes it so special – and so rewarding. It’s big business, too. In the UK, almost 1 million people work in the sports industry and it’s worth a massive £23.8 billion to the economy. From leisure and health clubs to teaching and coaching, sports media to physiotherapy, if you’ve got the energy and the drive, the opportunities are enormous. And if you’re thinking of a career in sport, energy and drive are probably two things you’ve got plenty of.
FACILITIES AND RESOURCES
• Top class sports facilities including our new £5 million, multipurpose sports centre, which features a sports hall, boxing ring, dance studio, high-tech gym and sports science lab.
• The UK Sports Industry is worth £23.8 billion and holds nearly 1 million jobs.
• Experienced professional teachers and coaches.
• Fun fact: Marks and Spencer reported a 35% increase in waistcoat sales after Gareth Southgate sported one throughout the 2018 World Cup.
• Strong links with professional sports clubs. • Work experience at the Madejski Stadium and train at The Dome – the club’s superb £1 million indoor training centre.
90 I Course guide 2019/20
• The average salary for a personal trainer is £19,472.