Page 40

Welcome to Week 3 Starting week three video Please watch the online video (58 seconds).  OPTIONAL‐Please participate in the online discussion forum. 

Chapter 6 ‐ Blood and Drug Transport Introduction to Chapter 6 Chapter 6 contains two subsections.  



At the conclusion of this chapter, you should understand the composition of blood and the role it  plays in transporting a drug to and from its site of action.  You should also be able to give the  meaning of the acronym ADME and understand the significance of each of the four letters.  OPTIONAL‐Please participate in the online discussion forum. 

6.1 Blood What is blood? video Please watch the online video (6 minutes, 4 seconds).  A condensed summary of this video can be found in the Video summary page.  OPTIONAL‐Please participate in the online discussion forum. 

Fluids in the body Background: Blood is the medium by which drugs are normally distributed throughout the body.  A  70‐kg (154‐lbs) human has an approximate blood volume of 5 L (1.4 US gal).  Of those 5 L of whole  blood, approximately 46% consists of different cells.  The remaining 54% is the fluid portion, or  plasma, with a volume of 2.7 L.  Plasma contains water, electrolytes, small signal molecules, and  some proteins.  Serum is the fluid left behind after whole blood clots.  Serum is very similar to  plasma except serum is missing the clotting proteins (fibrinogens). 

MOOC Medicinal Chemistry  
MOOC Medicinal Chemistry