Identify Employers in Your Field!
Hoover’s Online is a business research platform that permits searching U.S. and international company listings by industry, size, and geography, exporting the data into a spreadsheet. This can be a helpful tool for jobseekers who are interested in determining companies they may want to work for and can be used to learn more about organizations in a field of interest. The database includes details on approximately 85 million companies. Most listings include business descriptions, company size details, contact names and links to company websites where you may find job postings or additional details that will allow you to build targeted networking communications. Hoover’s also allows users to download this information into Excel spreadsheets that will help job seekers stay organized.
1. V isit Joyner Library’s Electronic Databases list at: http:// media.lib.ecu.edu/erdbs/
From the Hoover’s homepage, users will find access to training webinars and resources that will allow them to most effectively use the system. However, most individuals using Hoover’s for building a list of potential employers will likely be comfortable navigating through the following simple steps: • Click “Build A List”
2. S earch for Hoover’s Online or click the H tab and you will see it listed below 3. O nce you see Hoover’s in the list, click on it • On-Campus Users: Those logged-onto the campus network will be immediately directed to the Hoover’s website and no further log-in will be needed.
Jobs & Internships
• Off-Campus Users: Those accessing Hoover’s from off-campus will be prompted to enter their PirateID and Passphrase. This access is only available to individuals with a valid ECU Piratemail account (alumni will not have access). • Note: Joyner Library offers public access to computers on the campus network. Many public libraries also offer access to Hoover’s and may be able to provide offsite access options as well.
• Use the “+” signs to expand list option categories and make appropriate selections. Most users begin by specifying preferences only in the “Company Location” and “Industry” sections, later editing their search to add additional criteria/further narrow. • Click “View Results” at the bottom right corner of the page. • Explore detailed information on each listing by clicking on the company names and/or use the “Export” button on the bottom right corner of the page to download the information into an Excel or CSV file.
Step 1: Registration • Go to www.ecu.edu/careernet • E nter your Pirate ID, which is your ECU email login (e.g. smithj09) and a unique password will be sent to your email.
Step 2: Complete Your Profile • Type and fill in all requested information (contact, academic and job search details). • C omplete your entire profile. An incomplete profile will limit the ECU CareerNET features that you can use.
Step 3: Search Employer Database • S earch and access thousands of employers and contacts. Narrowing down results by industry and location.
• CAREER RESOURCE GUIDE • The Career Center at East Carolina University