Page 44

Self-funding your care continued Payments Scheme (DPS). A Deferred Payment is essentially a loan against the value of your property. The Care Act 2014 established a universal DPS, which means that people may not need to sell their home in their lifetime to pay for the costs of care. All councils in England are required to consider a Deferred Payment for eligible people who live in a care home or care home with nursing, own a property and have other assets below a certain amount. They must also have been assessed as having care needs that require residential care. A Deferred Payment can only be considered upon certain criteria being met. If you are eligible for a

Deferred Payment, you will have to sign a contract with us agreeing to the loan conditions, so it is important to seek independent financial or legal advice if you wish to enter a DPS. If you are accepted into a DPS, you will receive the agreement in writing. Please note that you will be expected to make a contribution, based on your income and savings, throughout the duration of the DPS. During the time of the DPS, interest will be charged and administration fees will apply. For further information, please visit

Contributions towards non-residential care and support If you receive home care, you will be financially assessed in the same way as for residential care (see the above sections). We will follow Government guidance when deciding which sources of capital and income we will take into account, and also when calculating any allowances you may receive as a result of disability. Your house will not be included as part of your capital if you are to remain living there. If you are in receipt of a disability benefit, you will have

an allowance made for expenses linked to your ill health or disability. Only once these allowances have been deducted from your available income will we calculate what you are required to contribute towards the cost of care. We will always ensure that you are left with enough income to maintain your quality of life, based on Government guidance.

Debt recovery Any customers who refuse to pay for their services, will be referred to the Debt Recovery Team. The Recovery Officers follow a process for recovering all monies owed to Northamptonshire County Council, as we have a duty to ensure the public funds are

spent in a fair and equitable manner. If the Debt Recovery Team is unable to recover any monies owed, the case will immediately be referred to Adult Social Care Lawyers and Enforcement Agencies for collection.

Frequently asked questions about charging Do I have to pay for my services? Yes, in most instances you will have to pay something towards the cost of the services provided to you.

towards this. We will send you regular invoices for the amount you have been assessed to pay; you will not be required to pay the provider directly.

My care manager says my care is fully funded. Do I still have to pay? Yes, you do. This means we will pay the provider the whole cost of the service you are receiving, but you will still need to pay your assessed contribution

When will I be told how much I have to pay? Normally, before your service starts, we will ask you for information about your financial circumstances – you will be given a financial assessment form to complete or, on request, the Financial Assessment


This Directory’s helpline 0800 389 2077 – assistance with finding care and support

Northamptonshire Care Services Directory 2017/18  

The comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care.

Northamptonshire Care Services Directory 2017/18  

The comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care.